Subject: Great reference book

From: [email-masked] (Susan Finger)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 22:36:58 GMT

Ever wonder:

	What's the difference between a liverwort and a moss?
	What are monocotyledons and dicotyledons? 
	What a flower looks like to a bee?
	What's inside a stem or a root?
	What's a phylum?
	Which part of a flower is the stigma and which is the anther?

_The Visual Dictionary of Plants_ is a reference book that answers all
these questions.  It's written for children -- so those of us without
degrees in botany can understand it.  It's full of colorful
photographs and diagrams.  Everything is labeled with its proper name,
and functions are explained clearly and simply.  All plants have both
their common names and Latin names given.

My niece has a copy of this book - but I couldn't very well grab it
away from her - so I ordered my own.  Now I think I have to buy
another one for a friend who has started gardening with her three-year
old.  He has done things like pull up a plant because he wanted to
know what was underneath.  (She says he may be a budding botanist, but
couldn't he pull up a dandelion instead of a dahlia?)

The Visual Dictionary of Plants, Eyewitness Visual Dictionaries,
Dorling Kindersley, New York, $14.95 (US), 64pp

Susan Finger
[email-masked]