Subject: Re: Should I clean fresh eggs?

From: [email-masked] (Wolf Lahti)
Date: 4 Apr 1995 13:13:10 GMT

Loren said:
>>
>>I've been told not to clean the eggs
>>before I am ready to use them, that doing so will make them spoil sooner. 
>>Is this true?  It seems that at least a rinse in water could not hurt
>>much. What do you think?
>>

Then Rick said:
>
>We have 22 laying hens, and get 16-20 eggs per day.  We ALWAYS wash and
>dry the eggs, then pack them into cartons for sale.  The only time I know
>of that you DON'T want to wash an egg is if you plan on hatching it out in
>an incubator.
>

Every reference book I've seen says not to wash eggs unless they have 
something really cruddy on them. Washing removes the protective layer 
that prevents rapid oxidation of the proteins inside. It doesn't hurt 
to wash them if you're going to use them in a few days, but they won't 
be as fresh as they otherwise could be.

---------------------------------
   "I hate quotations."
        -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
---------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Tstahl)
Date: 7 Apr 1995 22:05:05 -0400

You can wash them carefully, and tehn dip them into a soultion of 1tblsp
bleach added to gal of water,this also keeps them well.  No need to wash
until use though,if the chicken grunge doesnt bother you.