Subject: Re: a forestry question

From: Bargyla Rateaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 21:36:00 -0700

I am SHOCKED that you don't have access, apparently, to the extremely
important info that pines, like most plants and surely all conifers, need the
mycorrhizal fungi inoculant when planting seeds. Esp if you are going to plant
in pots, you just must buy the inoculant. It costs very little when you think
of how little is needed, and how extremely valuable they are.
   You can order the inoculant for trees, the ECTOmycorrhize, from the world
expert on the subject, a very fine person, Dr. Donald Marx, who now heads his
own company, Plant Health Care,  440 William Pitt Way. Pittsburgh, PA 15238
412-826-5488   fax is 412-826-5445

This culture is very easy to use--just put a spoonful in bottom of hole or
pot, where roots will contact it.
  And the price is so small compared to the excellent result. I do remember
many years ago, some prof wanted me to do something with his pine tree study.
Without the mycorrhizal fungi, the seedlings just would not grow beyond a few
inches. Give them the culture, and they really did grow.  Of all plants, it
seems pine trees more than anything else will just appreciate the fungal aid
so very much.
   I am absolutely sure it will be worth your while to get the cultures for
your seedlings.
    I have no interest, no financial ties at all. I just have known about Dr.
Marx for so many years, and go to hear him speak when he is out here on a
speaking tour, etc.

Mark Hubbard wrote:

> > Question
> > One of my goals is to try growing pines from their seed cones.  We have
> > Norways, Jack Pines, White Pines, Spruce, Scotch Pines and others on the
> > island.  Also limited Cedar.
>
> (I'm not sure which island he may be referring to?)
>
> > Now some of the varieties have the harden cones that I believe need
> > heat/fire to open them.  Question is how much and how.
>
> Of the pines listed, jack pine is the only one for which fire (heat)
> will aid cone drying and opening, but even for that species "some
> cones open every year [without fire]." (from USDA Ag. Handbook
> 271).  I would venture a guess that an hour in an oven at about 200
> degrees F would open 'em.
>
> > Then instead of just scattering the seeds, I want to have a concentrated
> > area of pots to germinate and grow the seedlings, then transplant.  Also
> > the potting soil content, I believe should be on the acidic side but how
> > much.
>
> The pines you've listed should all do well with a pH in the range of
> 4.5 - 6.5 and well-drained soil.
>
> Hope this helps and I let me know if I can help further!
>
> Mark Hubbard, PhD
> Department of Agriculture
> College of the Ozarks
> Pt. Lookout, MO 65726
>
> To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
> "unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
> "unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
> To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
> "subscribe sanet-mg-digest".
>
> All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
> http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail