Subject: Re: Nitrogen nutrition in bark fungi

From: [email-masked] (Steven Carpenter)
Date: 22 May 1995 13:13:18 GMT

Our LTER group did substantial research into nitrogen cycling in conifers
during decomposition.  We found substantial nitrogen fixing by free-living
bacteria.  

See our article:

Griffiths, R.P. Mark E. Harmon, Bruce A. Caldwell, S.E. Carpenter.  1993.
Acetylene reduction in conifer logs during early stages of decomposition.  
Plant & Soil 148: 53-61

There will be references to allied work in this as well.

CAUTION: Just because we found something in the tree species we observed
         doesn't mean this is applicable to other species of trees in other
         biomes.  We have found that each kind of forest has its own unique
         nitrogen and carbon engines which operate with different assemblages
         of organisms and decomposition time-scales.    

If you are interested in having fungi identified, please contact me.

-Steve Carpenter
 Cascade Research Associates
  & Abbey Lane Laboratory
 [email-masked]
 phone: 503-929-5984