Subject: Fungal Diseases of Wheat in Uzbekistan

From: [email-masked] (Rossman, Amy)
Date: 6 Mar 1996 10:02:29 -0800

I  am  Khasanov Batyr Achilovich,  Ph.D.,  head of labora-
> tory, Vice-Director of the Institute of Genetics. Our interests lie in
> the  sphere  of Deuteromycetous fungi causing diseases of agricultural
> plants, especially cereals, in Uzbekistan. We have been working on the
> organization   of   "Central  Asian  Regional  Culture  Collection  of
> Microorganisms from Plants". We have found that tan spot of wheat cau-
> sed  by  Pyrenophora  tritici-repentis was one of the main diseases in
> some regions of Uzbekistan and pure cultures of the pathogen have been
> established.  Pathogenicity  of  27  isolates  to  wheat was proved by
> artificial  inoculation.Our  present   activity   is   concerned   the
> determination of structure of pathogen's populations in Uzbekistan and
> the development of methods for wheat screening for resistance to  this
> disease.  We  have  tested  18  media  for getting of profuse inoculum
> production of P.tritici-repentis and  abundant  conidiation  has  been
> provided  on  two  media  containing casein hydrolyzate,yeast extract,
> lactose and some other chemicals.
>
> In this connection we  ask  you  for  to  help  us  with  establishing
> contacts  with  U.S.  scientists in our field of scientific interests.
> Couldn't you send us the E-mail addresses and mail  ones  of  American
> scientists.
> My E-mail address:<[email-masked]>.
>
> I'm looking forward to your reply.
>
>      Sincerely yours,
>      Batyr A. Khasanov
>

Amy Y. Rossman, Director
U.S. National Fungus Collections
10300 Baltimore Ave.
Beltsville, MD 20705
301-504-5364
FAX 301-504-5810
email: [email-masked]