Subject: No Subject

From: [email-masked] ("Georgiana May")
Date: 15 Sep 1996 17:11:54 -0700

GRADUATE OPPORTUNITIES
Potential graduate student interested in understanding in molecular evolution of
fungal/plant interactions and in the evolution of mating type loci will be 
eligible for the doctoral fellowship listed below.  UMN funds are also 
available.  The project is to understand the evolutionary forces acting to 
maintain extreme variation at the b mating type locus ofUstilago maydis  (a 
fungal pathogen of Zea mays).  A second project is to investigate the genetic 
and evolutionary interactions of maize and the fungus.  

Faculty and programs on the St. Paul campus of University of Minnesota offer 
broad opportunities for the study of fungi and fungal/plant interactions.  Most 
recently, the Center for Community Genetics has been established with the 
purpose of studying plants' evolutionary interactions with other organisms.  
Faculty and graduate students from two colleges and four departments meet 
regularly, host speakers and discuss research in lively, open format.

If interested contact:
Georgiana May
Department of Plant Biology
UMN
(612) 625-1998
[email-masked]

DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS IN PLANT BIOTECHNOLOGY
The Plant Biological Sciences graduate program at the University of Minnesota 
will award 2 USDA National Needs Fellowships for doctoral students interested in
Plant Biotechnology.  The Fellowship awards provide an annual stipend of $17,000
for 3 years plus tuition waiver.  An additional 2 years of support will be 
available from the graduate program. Applicants must be US citizens or US 
nationals and have an interest in training and a career in some aspect of plant 
biotechnology. Completed applications must be received by October 31, 1996.

To obtain application forms and additional information please contact: Plant 
Biological Sciences Program Secretary, University of Minnesota, Department of 
Plant Biology, 220 Bioscience Center, 1445 Gortner Avenue, St. Paul, MN 
55108-1095 612-625-4222/ Email: [email-masked]

Georgiana May
Department of Plant Biology
University of Minnesota
St. Paul, MN  55108
[email-masked]
(612) 625-1998