Subject: Re: R/H "use it or lose it"

From: [email-masked] (BrianMc)
Date: 28 Oct 1995 12:02:20 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Jessie Micales
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>>Speaking for myself and not for the FGSC, if people want to see more 
>>science here, then post more science here. If you want more foray 
>>reports, post more foray reports.  
>>I have found that this is a very efficient way to get information out
and 
>>from the number of people who have responded to my postings, know that 
>>they are reaching the desired audience.
>
>>Kevin McCluskey
>
>I agree.  I really can't see splitting off into another newsgroup when
there 
>are so few posts here at all.  I enjoy looking at the "edibles" posts,
but I 
>probably wouldn't bother seeking them out if they were in another 
>newsgroup.  Wouldn't it be better to somehow communicate to "amateurs"
that 
>they are welcome here in some other way?  Certainly the numbers of
>"highly scientific" posts here is not overwhelming!  I think if you
weaken 
>this group any more, it won't be worth the time to bring it up on the
>screen!

There are also some of us whose work as amateurs borders on being a
profession.  I myself am a member os the Pacific Northwest Key Council,
which creates mycological field keys for both professionals and amateurs. 
It's not a full-time occupation, and although a formal education in the
subject is helpful, it certainly isn't required. Amateurs can and should
be part of the scientific process.  Consider us extra sets of eyes and
hands in the field!
----------------------------------------------------------
| Brian McNett                   e-mail: <[email-masked]>
| Editor: MycoInfo      <[email-masked]>
|                          Submissions: <[email-masked]> 
|        Promoting Mycology in the Online Community