Subject: insect control

From: Larry Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 12:17:35 -0800

I wanted to know if anyone knows if any parasitic fungi have been use to 
control bees. (Apis).  Any information will be appreciated.
Larry Jones

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Griggs)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 14:08:41 GMT

I am a little late in responding to this but here is what I know. I work
with a group doing research on entomopathogenic fungi.  Our cryocollection
contains approximately 4800 isolates of fungi collected from insects from
around the world.  There are supprisingly few collections from
hymenopterans and very few indeed collected from the honey bee (Apis
melifera). The one exception is ascosphaera apis the fungus that causes
chalk brood.  Then again why would one want to control the honey bee
unless atempting to shift the resources to an endangered solitary bee. 
Removing local bee hives would have a greater affect and or bacillus
larvae (foul brood).  Hope this answers your question.  Mike 

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950227121517.17986E-100000@dino>, Larry Jones
<[email-masked]> wrote

-- 
Mike Griggs Entomologist/Apiculturist/Arborist

---

From: [email-masked] (UNICORNbag)
Date: 19 Mar 1995 15:43:56 -0500

If you need PE or PP sterilizable bags for cultivating please contact us.
We already are supplying such to several companies.  Lou Hsu.
[email-masked]