Subject: 2nd CFV: sci.bio.phytopathology

From: [email-masked] (Bill Aten)
Date: 25 Aug 1995 21:20:40 -0000

2nd & FINAL CALL FOR VOTES
                moderated group sci.bio.phytopathology

Newsgroups line:
sci.bio.phytopathology	All aspects of plant diseases and pests. (Moderated)

Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 4 Sep 1995.

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party.  For voting questions
only, contact the votetaker, Bill Aten <[email-masked]>.  For questions
about the proposed group, contact the proponent, Thorsten Kraska
<[email-masked]>.

RATIONALE:

This is the rationale for the proposal as submitted by the proponent.

At present there is no group dedicated to the discussion on phytopathology,
applied entomology, plant diseases and pests as described in the charter.
There are some postings in other groups, but all of the replies support the
idea of having an own forum for discussion.  I have found many supporters
for creation of this newsgroup, when I had posted a pre-RFD to groups, where
I could find postings concerning phytopathology in the broadest sense.  Most
of them want to subscribe to this group.

CHARTER: sci.bio.phytopathology

This is the newsgroup charter as submitted by the proponent.

Sci.bio.phytopathology is a moderated discussion forum on all aspects
of phytopathology and plant health including pests.  Following topics
(among others) should be covered by the group: diseases caused by
fungi, bacteria, viruses; pests caused by insects and other organisms;
epidemiology, modeling plant disease epidemics; host-parasite
interactions; pest management; biological control; integrated crop
protection and production; molecular biology, genetics and ecological
aspects of diseases and resistance;detection of pathogens; resistance
mechanisms; acquired resistance in plants; stress resistance and
tolerance; yield losses due to diseases and pests; use of transgenic
plants in phytopathology; model systems in phytopathology; biotechnology
in plant protection.

Distribution: Worldwide
Language: English.

END CHARTER.

MODERATOR INFORMATION

    Group name:          sci.bio.phytopathology (moderated)
    Primary Moderator:   Thorsten Kraska <[email-masked]>
    Submissions address: [email-masked]
    Request address:     [email-masked]

ADDITIONAL MODERATORS & TOPICS OF INTEREST

    Thorsten Kraska <[email-masked]>
    Induced systemic resistance, mycology, general information, organisation

    Hans-Michael Poehling <[email-masked]>
    entomology, biological control, integrated pest management

    Bernhard Hau <[email-masked]>
    mycology, epidemiology, prognosis

    Edgar Maiss <[email-masked]>
    virology, plant molecular biology

    Henning von Alten <[email-masked]>
    mycology, mycorrhiza, sustainable agriculture, induced resistance

    Stefan Vidal <[email-masked]>
    entomology, intercropping, biological control

HOW TO VOTE

Erase everything above the "BEGINNING OF BALLOT" line and erase everything
below the "END OF BALLOT" line.  Do not erase anything between these lines,
and do not change the group name.  In other words, remove everything except
the ballot.  It will be greatly appreciated by the votetaker if you do NOT
forward the entire CFV back to me--this mail is archived.

Give your name on the line that asks for it.  To vote, place a YES in the
brackets to vote for it, or place a NO in the brackets to vote against it.
If you don't want to vote on the group, place an ABSTAIN in the brackets.
If you leave the bracket blank, your vote will be rejected for failure to
cast a vote.  Don't worry about the spacing of the columns or any quote
characters (">") that your reply inserts.

Then MAIL the ballot to:  <[email-masked]>
Just Replying to this message should work, but check the "To:" line.

Quick voting checklist:
1) Fill in the ballot form below.  Don't forget to include your Real Name.
2) Delete everything but the ballot in your reply to this CFV.
3) Make sure your reply goes to <[email-masked]>.

===== BEGINNING OF BALLOT: Delete everything BEFORE this line =============

*** PLEASE ***
    DO NOT alter, modify, or delete any of the information in this ballot!

sci.bio.phytopathology Ballot
<SBP-0002> (Do not remove this marker!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examples showing how to indicate your vote (DO NOT vote in this section):

[     YES ]  example.yes.vote
[      NO ]  example.no.vote
[ ABSTAIN ]  example.abstention
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to properly record your vote, please provide your REAL NAME and
indicate your desired vote in the following section:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give your Real Name here (on this line) -->:
(If you do not give your real name, your vote may be rejected.)

---------------

Insert your vote inside the brackets for each newsgroup listed below:

 Your Vote   Group
 ---------   -----
[         ]  sci.bio.phytopathology (Moderated)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

===== END OF BALLOT: Delete everything AFTER this line ====================

IMPORTANT VOTING PROCEDURE NOTES

Anything other than the official ballot may be rejected by the automatic vote
counting program.  The votetaker will respond to your received ballots with
an automated acknowledgement by e-mail.  If you do not receive one within
several days, try again.  It's your responsibility to make sure your vote is
registered correctly.

Only one vote per person, no more than one vote per account.  Addresses and
votes of all voters will be published in the final voting results list.

If you later change your mind, you may vote again.  To erase your vote and
eliminate your address and vote from the final results listing, vote again
using the CANCEL example shown above.  Just be aware that duplicate votes
will be resolved in favor of the most recent valid vote.

Anonymous votes will not be accepted.  Votes mailed by WWW/HTML/CGI forms are
considered anonymous votes (the vote must be mailed directly from the
voter to the votetaker).

Neither ABSTAIN nor CANCEL messages are counted as votes; they serve
only to cancel any previous vote.  Abstentions are noted in the final
vote list, whereas CANCEL removes your vote from that list entirely
(this is the only difference between the two).

In cases where voting fraud is determined to have occurred, it is standard
operating procedure to delete ALL votes submitted by the violator.

There will be a five-day period following the voting period during which
the published vote list may be corrected and any irregularities addressed.
The requirements for group creation are 100 more YES votes than NO votes,
and 2/3 of all counted votes must be YES.

When in doubt, ask the votetaker.

OFFICIAL SOURCES OF THE CFV

IMPORTANT:  If anyone gave you a pre-completed ballot which did not leave the
voting choice up to you, you should modify the vote to reflect your choice of
YES, NO or ABSTAIN next to the item in the ballot.  If you give anyone copies
of the CFV, the copies must be whole and unmodified.  Distributing pre-filled
in ballots or modified copies of this CFV is considered voting fraud.

The only official sources for copies of this CFV are the UseNet newsgroups to
which it is posted including news.announce.newgroups, and the e-mail server at
   <[email-masked]>
The CFV server will return a copy of the CFV to the sender.  Your message may
be left empty because any contents will be ignored.

DISTRIBUTION:

This CFV has been cross-posted to:
  news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, bionet.genome.arabidopsis,
  bionet.microbiology, bionet.mycology, bionet.plants, sci.agriculture,
  sci.bio.ecology, sci.bio.entomology.misc, sci.bio.misc