Subject: postdoc positions: fungal genetics/map-based cloning/gene analysis

From: [email-masked] (Howard S. Judelson)
Date: 17 Mar 1996 14:19:08 -0800

POSTDOCTORAL POSITIONS

Molecular genetics of the oomycete fungus, Phytophthora infestans

        Candidates are sought for two postdoctoral positions in a
laboratory investing the molecular genetics of Phytophthora infestans, an
oomycete fungus that causes the important late blight diseases of potato
and tomato.  Successful applicants can join either of several on-going
projects.  These include the positional cloning of genes determining mating
type (sexual compatibility type; see Judelson et al. 1995, Genetics
141:503-512); the analysis of genome rearrangements associated with a
system of balanced lethals in Phytophthora; the characterization of
mating-induced genes (isolated by differential display and subtraction
cloning); and the analysis of genes determining resistance to fungicides. 
Major funding for these positions comes from grants from the USDA and NSF.

        Applicants should have a Ph.D. and some experience in molecular
biology.  Depending on the project, the experiments will involve techniques
such as genetic mapping, long-range restriction mapping, chromosome walking
in cosmid and BAC libraries, and fungal transformation; experience with
these would be helpful but is not required.  

        Please sent a curriculum vitae and the names of three references
(including addresses and telephone numbers) to: 

Howard Judelson
Department of Plant Pathology
University of California
Riverside, California 92521 USA
email: [email-masked]
fax: 909-787-4294

Howard Judelson ([email-masked])
Assistant Professor
Department of Plant Pathology
University of California
Riverside, California 92521
USA

Tel: 909-787-4199
Fax: 909-787-4294