Subject: Medical Mycology Predoc Train.

From: [email-masked] (Jimmy Cutler)
Date: 3 Feb 1995 10:56:32 -0800

Announcement: Establishment of a Medical Mycology Predoctoral Training 
Program (MMPTP) at Montana State University
	The number of fungal infections has increased dramatically over 
the past decade and is expected to continue to increase.  People who have 
immunological deficiencies are especially at risk.  The deficiencies may 
occur because of infectious diseases such as AIDS, or because of modern 
medical procedures such as kidney and bone marrow transplants, indwelling 
catheters, the use of corticosteroids, broad spectrum antibiotics and 
anti-tumor agents.  The NIH recognizes the need for scientists trained to 
do research in medical mycology.  To help address this need, we have been 
awarded a training grant from the National Institute of Allergy and 
Infectious Diseases to establish the MMPTP.

MMPTP Faculty and Research Facilities:
	The intent of the MMPTP at MSU is to develop Ph.D. scientists who 
will pursue a research career in medical mycology.  The faculty in the 
Program have varied interests and strengths.  The result is a strong 
interdisciplinary approach to training the predoctoral students.  The 
combined faculty utilize virtually all of the modern research facilities 
on campus which include: DNA/RNA laboratories; computer image analysis 
and phospho imaging systems; hybridoma laboratories; modern microscopic 
techniques; flow cytometry laboratories; and, mass and NMR 
spectrometers.  MSU has a campus-wide computer network and is a major 
node for NSFnet which gives access to supercomputers.
	Ten research faculty from four departments at MSU serve as Ph.D. 
mentors.  Most of the faculty have federally funded research programs and 
include: Clifford W. Bond, virologist; Diane L. Brawner, medical 
mycologist; Jim E. Cutler, medical mycologist and Dir. MMPTP; Gill G. 
Geesey, biofilms; Joan M. Henson, fungal molecular genetics; A.J. 
Jesaitis, neutrophil function and signal transduction; Mark A. Jutila, E- 
and L-selectins, inflammation and gamma/delta T-cells; Mark T. Quinn, 
neutrophil function and inflammation; Norman D. Reed, immunologist; and, 
Gary A. Strobel, fungal pathogens and endophytes, fungal natural products.

MMPTP Training Opportunities:
	In addition to dissertation work, trainees have the following 
opportunities.  Two to three months of clinical mycology laboratory 
training under the direction of Kevin C. Hazen, Ph.D. at the University 
of Virginia Health Sciences Center (UVAHSC).  Dr. Hazen is Associate 
Director of Clinical Microbiology Laboratories and Director of Medical 
Mycology at UVAHSC.  Yearly workshops in clincial mycology at MSU by 
Michael G. Rinaldi, Ph.D., Chief of Clinical Microbiology Laboratories at 
the Univ. Texas Health Sci. Center in San Antonio.  The trainees will 
also take a science core which includes medical and general mycology 
courses at MSU.

Trainee Expenses Provided by the MMPTP:
	Travel expenses will be provided for the trainees to participate 
in clinical mycology laboratory training at UVAHSC and to present their 
research findings each year at a national scientific meeting.  Trainees 
will receive an annual stipend of $14,000 to defray living expenses and 
they will receive fee waivers fro graduate studies.

Openings in the Program and Minimum Criteria for Acceptance:
	We currently have two trainees in the Program and we will have 
two more openings by Fall Semester (September) of 1995.  Applications 
will be accepted until the openings are filled.  Minimum criteria for 
admission are US citizenship, baccalaureate degree in science, GPA 3.0 in 
science courses and Graduate Record Exam combined verbal + quantitative 
score of 1150.  Please note that women and minorities are especially 
encouraged to apply.

Address for Inquiries and Further Information About Admission into the 
Program:
	Jim E. Cutler, Ph.D., Director MMPTP, Department of Microbiology, 
109 Lewis Hall, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717; FAX: 
406-994-2373; INTERNET: [email-masked].