Subject: Climate change and mycorrhizae

From: [email-masked] (Peter Werner)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 00:31:09 GMT

I'm going to be writing a research paper on the effects of several types 
of environmental disruption on mycorrhizae and how this in turn effects 
forest health.  So far, I've been able to find quite a bit of literature 
on the effects of acid precipitation on mycorrhizae, as well as some 
literature on the effects of disturbances such as logging.

What I haven't been able to find is anything about the effects of climate 
change on mycorrhizal fungi.  Changes in temperature and, especially, 
precipitation patterns would seem to have a strong effect on these fungi, 
significantly altering the distribution of these species, at the very 
least.  If anyone knows of any literature that has been written about
this subject, I'd greatly appreciate the reference.

Thanks in advance,
PGW

---

From: Thomas O'Dell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 1995 19:42:54 -0800

i have seen papers on effects of elevated CO2 on ectomycorrhizae, also 
temperature effects. sorry but i dont have references handy. try science 
citation most recent 5 year index and search subject ectomycorrhizaethen 
look for CO2...
The other global change to be aware of (and more certain than temperature 
changes in terms of magnitude and direction) is in N budgets something 
like a 100% increase in terrestrial N inputs over the past 100 years, 
mostly during the past 10. (see Vitousek, P. 1994. Beyond Global 
Warming: Ecology and Global Change). 
75: 1861) Have fun, and get back to me if you hit a dead end.

---

From: Greg Pattinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 23:09:22 GMT

A review paper Shafer S.R. and Schoeneberger M.M. (1994) Air pollution
and ecosystem health: The mycorrhizal connection covers effects of 
ozone, acid rain, carbon dioxide and general air pollutants on the
symbioses. It can be found in 
Pfleger F.L. and Linderman R.G.(ed)(1994) Mycorrhizae and Plant Health
APS Press St. Paul, Minnesota.

Regards Greg

---

From: [email-masked] (Brendan A. Niemira)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 12:43 EST