Subject: Re: Derivation of "Agaric"

From: [email-masked] (Clifford Brian Odom)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:07:41 GMT

Stephen P. Bentivenga ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In response to the recent speculation on the derivation of "fly-agaric" .....

<SNIP>

: Stephen R. Berlant wrote:
: >To the contrary, it always seemed to me that "fly-agaric" must have been 
: >derived from our word "agar" for a growth medium"; because, the mushrooms 
: >odor, resembling that of rotting flesh, caused flies to lay their eggs on it, 
: >as evidenced by popular reports that maggots appear on the mushroom soon after 
: >it starts to decay.
: >
: >I was wondering if anybody had any recent info that supported or refute either 
: >of these positions.
: >
: >My thanks in advance.
: >
: >Stephen R. Berlant 

: ____________________________________________________________________________
: ____________________________________________________________________________

:         .|             Stephen P. Bentivenga, Ph.D.        __            __
:         ||             Division of Plant and Soil Sciences   \          /
:       _/ |____         401 Brooks Hall - Box 6057             \        /
:     _/    *   | _.--.  West Virginia University                \  /\  /
:   _/     WVU  |/ _/\_) Morgantown, WV  26506-6057               \/  \/
:  /             _/                                                .        __
: (           __/        Phone:    304-293-3911                     \      /
:  \        _/           FAX:      304-293-2872                      \    /
:   \_    _/             Internet: [email-masked]              \  /
:     `--'               www:      http://invam.caf.wvu.edu            \/
: ____________________________________________________________________________
: ____________________________________________________________________________

Technically, "agar" does not refer to growth media, it is simply an 
additive used to solidify nutrient solutions. Agar is specifically used 
for this task because it cannot be metabolized (provide nutrition) by 
most organisms.

-- 
_______________________________________________________________________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 C. Brian Odom, Ph.D.|Bio. Dept.|Alderson-Broaddus College| Philippi, WV 26416
 304.457.6277(O) | 304.457.1700(A-B C.) | 304.457.6239(FAX) | 304.457.5915 (H)
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen R. Berlant)
Date: 27 Mar 1996 12:01:26 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
   [email-masked] (Clifford Brian Odom) wrote:
>: In response to the recent speculation on the derivation of "fly-agaric" 
....

>for this task because it cannot be metabolized (provide nutrition) by 

Imho, this technical definition of agar should probably be viewed as a 
refinement of the originally broader definition of the Malay etymon of "agar", 
"agar-agar", which referred to "a gelatinous material derived from certain 
marine algae". These algae are those that form seaweeds like kelp, rockweed, 
or gulfweed, which Polynesians and others have used as the "growth medium" we 
refer to as "fertilizer" from time immemorial, precisely because they can be 
and are metabolized by many organisms. 

Regards,

Steve Berlant

---

From: [email-masked] (Clifford Brian Odom)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 17:36:05 GMT

Stephen R. Berlant ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>,
:    [email-masked] (Clifford Brian Odom) wrote:
: >Stephen P. Bentivenga ([email-masked]) wrote:
: >: In response to the recent speculation on the derivation of "fly-agaric" 
: ....
: >
: ><SNIP>
: >
: >: Stephen R. Berlant wrote:
: >: >To the contrary, it always seemed to me that "fly-agaric" must have been 
: >: >derived from our word "agar" for a growth medium"; because, the mushrooms 
: >: >odor, resembling that of rotting flesh, caused flies to lay their eggs on 
: it, 
: >: >as evidenced by popular reports that maggots appear on the mushroom soon 
: after 
: >: >it starts to decay.
: >: >
: >: >I was wondering if anybody had any recent info that supported or refute 
: either 
: >: >of these positions.
: >: >
: >: >My thanks in advance.
: >: >
: >: >Stephen R. Berlant 

: >Technically, "agar" does not refer to growth media, it is simply an 
: >additive used to solidify nutrient solutions. Agar is specifically used 
: >for this task because it cannot be metabolized (provide nutrition) by 
: >most organisms.

: Imho, this technical definition of agar should probably be viewed as a 
: refinement of the originally broader definition of the Malay etymon of "agar", 
: "agar-agar", which referred to "a gelatinous material derived from certain 
: marine algae". These algae are those that form seaweeds like kelp, rockweed, 
: or gulfweed, which Polynesians and others have used as the "growth medium" we 
: refer to as "fertilizer" from time immemorial, precisely because they can be 
: and are metabolized by many organisms. 

: Regards,

: Steve Berlant

There are parts of seaweed that can be metablized, and seaweed was used 
extensively as a fertilizer in pre-famine Ireland. But, the specific 
compound agar is not metabolized, especially not after polymerization which 
would only occur after boiling.

Brian