Subject: Needing photographs of Psilocybe serbica & P. bohemica

From: [email-masked] (Stamets 1)
Date: 10 Jan 1995 13:36:30 -0500

I am revising my first book, Psilocybe Mushrooms & their Allies - a
subject many of you may find disturbing or interesting depending
upon your point of view - and am trying to acquire high quality 
photographs of these of Psilocybe serbica, P. bohemica, and P.
subaeruginosa. . Any help would be appreciated.
They are to be used in a book going to press in April. I am paying
$ 100.00 per insertion for one time publishing rights with the originals
being returned to the sender. 

Thanks. 

paul stamets

---

From: [email-masked] (Ken Sanderson)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 07:06:01 GMT

>I am revising my first book, Psilocybe Mushrooms & their Allies - a

Will this book be published through ten speed press?  And when do you 
expect it to hit the stands?

Thanks Ken

---

From: [email-masked] (Stamets 1)
Date: 14 Jan 1995 15:51:50 -0500

Ken et alia....                                                           
              1/14/95

The book is currently 212 pages long (ms.) and, although Ten Speed wants
it, I do not yet have a contract. This book is alot of fun to write and is
a 
subject with which I have had long experience. Since several young people
 have died mistaking a Galerina for a Psilocybe, the book will
serve to protect public health. (Did you know there were mycologists
 in the 1970's who stated it was better for people to die from mistaken
identification than to provide information on the accurate identification
of these species?!?) Many physcians have asked me for copies of my
original version of Psilocybe Mushrooms & their Allies and at their
urging -as well as from others- I am reworking the subject.. Since I now
have control over the production of my books, I feel I can do a much
better job than what appeared in 1978.  

Despite this book's subject, our business will 
continue with its long standing policy of 

-not offering strains, spores or cultures
-not offerring advice on the cultivation of these mushrooms
-not discussingthe subject of Psilocybe except through book sales

The work I have done was covered by a DEA license, 
and has led to the publication of two, soon three, new species
 of Psilocybe. I am particularly fascinated by the truly natural
 habitats for Psilocybes. The proliferation of  woodchips for 
landscaping has provided a convenient habitat in urban and
suburban areas, but the active Psilocybes are exceedingly rare
 in natural forests. We have found good evidence of small mammal burrows
harboring these species in deciduous woods.... Many species are
 undoubtedly imported with ornamental plants and/or hitchhiked by
 other means as international travellers. Finding truly indigenous 
species is quite a task. Any suggestions, leads or references would be
appreciated. For instance, who has ever  re-collected Psilocybe
 angusticeps and Psilocybe washingtonensis (Smith species) from 
Washington? These two, apparently non-active species
seem like taxonomic phantoms - described once and 
have seemingly disappeared from the ecosystem (or from
the collection baskets of mycologists!)  Has
 anyone recollected/photographed P. tampanensis from Florida?
 What about Murrill's report of P. caerulescens
>from  Alabama? What of Peck's citing of a mushroom resembling
 P. semilanceata near Albany, New York? What were the 
mushrooms (Panaeoli ?)  responsible for the Maine intoxications/parties
 as reported by Lincoff and Mitchel earlier in this century? What is
the strongly bluing mushroom resembling P. pelliculosa from Telluride, Co?
(One specimen collected from a trail frequented by several hundred
mycophiles over 13 years.) Chang & Mills report synonomy with
 Australian taxa which inhabit
wood chips and manure - two ends of a spectrum of habitats. 
 Although common in disturbed habitats, 
these natural citings are exceedingly rare. Who out there has
found an active Psilocybe in a woodland habitat truly
considered untouched by humans? 
Any comments would be appreciated, you can e-mail me
directly, if you wish.

Thanks. 

paul stamets