Subject: (none)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Mar 1996 08:11:58 -0800

March 4, 1996

                 ATTENTION FUNGAL BIOLOGISTS!!!

Dear Fungal Biologist:

There are two purposes to this letter: These are to make you aware of:
1) new journal, Fungal Genetics and Biology with a special genome issue
in 1997;  2)  the new Fungal Genome Resource (FGR) available for use
by the Fungal Genetics Community.

1)  As guest editor of the special genomics issue of Fungal Genetics and
Biology,  I am inviting you or interested colleagues to consider
submitting a paper on fungal genomics.  The subject of the paper might
include a description of genome resources, like physical or genetic maps,
new genome technologies for fungi, or scientific advances 
driven by new genome technologies.  A submission should go to:

				Fungal Genetics & Biology
				Academic Press
				525 B Street, Suite 1900
				San Diego, CA 92101-4495

The cover letter should indicate interest in the genome issue.

The genome issue will appear sometime in 1997.

2)  The FGR has been established at the University of Georgia with awards
>from  the National Science Foundation to promote research on fungi with
new genome technologies.  Our WEB page is at
http://fungus.genetics.uga.edu:5080.  One major resource that will be
made available to you in approximately one year is a new robotics 
system for physical mapping fungal genomes funded by the
National Science Foundation.  This Intelligent System for Automated
Assembly of Chromosomes (I.S.A.A.C.) will have the ability to create
a 29 kilobase resolution physical map of a 31 Megabase fungal 
genome in approximately 4 months from existing chromosome-specific libraries.  
Potential uses by the fungal genetics community include:
1) ordering cosmid clone collections; 2) mapping of cDNA libraries
onto ordered clone collections; 3) stamping of ordered membranes
for use by the community.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me
at (706) 542-1449 or [email-masked].

Yours Sincerely,

Jonathan Arnold
Co-Director of FGR
Associate Professor
Genetics Department 
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602
[email-masked]
tel: (706) 542-1449
fax: (706) 542-3910