Subject: Re: Ms Kelly's rudeness

From: [email-masked] (Jessie Micales)
Date: 4 Nov 1996 14:31:20 GMT

Kelly Collins said:
>> The structure "analagous to a cleistothecium" (and, yes, for all you
>>anal types, I mean "similar in function but not in evolutionary
>>origin") in the deutermycetes seems to be a papulospore.
>
>Ms. Kelly Kelly Patrice Collins <[email-masked]> labels some
>persons replying to her query about a cleistothecium produced by mitotic
>fungi as "anal [retentive]."......

Hi Don.  I think you misread Kelly's posting.  She was not saying your question 
was "anal," she was just clarifying her use of the term "analogous." After all, 
there are many people who are sticklers when it comes to the use of terms 
(especially in academia) - she was just indicating that she was giving it 
the precise, proper usage.  

I know Kelly personally.  In fact, I share my office with her!  She is a very 
bright, creative, inquisitive woman who is constantly asking me questions that 
I don't the answers to.  I really enjoy having her around, and I'm learning a 
lot by interacting with her. 

Jessie Micales
Research Plant Pathologist
Forest Products Laboratory
Madison, WI

---

From: Tom Volk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 11:25:03 -0600

> lot by interacting with her.

Hi Don and Jessie

I would like to add my defense of Kelly as well.  As a former student of
mine and now a good friend, she has always been all the good things
Jessie says about her and more. She is a very inquisive and intelligent
student. In her post she was using an analogy to try to get some
analysis. Sometimes in cyberspace it is easy to misread intentions and I
am sure Kelly meant no offense. Plus--- She can be quite a stickler for
detail herself.
---Tom
********************************************  (0)  ************
Tom Volk                                     (000)
Dept. of Biology & Microbiology             (00000)
3024 Cowley Hall                            (00000)
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse           (00000)
La Crosse, Wisconsin  54601                  (000)
[email-masked]                        | |
********************************************  | |  *************
http://www.wisc.edu/botany/fungi/volkmyco.html

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 7 Nov 1996 20:29:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Tom Volk
<[email-masked]> writes:

> Sometimes in cyberspace it is easy to misread intentions and I
>am sure Kelly meant no offense.

I am also originally from Wisconsin, but I don't know  Kelly Collins.  She
reminded me of a student I had, who told me there is no such things as
"Black Yeast"   (_Aureobasidium_, etc.)   It was easy for me to take
offense since at the time I considered myself an expert on the "black
yeast" genera.  That was in a face to face meeting.  Cyberspace is even
worse.  We can't read the other person's face and voice inflections. 
Sometimes words are "too" powerful in e-mails. . ."anal". . . is
definitely a powerful word and easily misread.   This is not a lesson just
for Kelly, this is a lesson for us all.

Davin

Davin C. Enigl, MS-MEAS, President-Microbiologist
HACCP Validations-sm  Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points for the
Food, Cosmetic, Pharmaceutical, and Nutritional Supplement Industry
Voice: (916) 989-8264,  Fax: (916) 989-8205,  Pager: (714) 725-7695
9040 Erle Blunden Way
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
November 7, 1996
7:48 am