Subject: Mushroom collecting in Puerto Rico

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 01:51:43 GMT

My wife and I'd like to take a week this winter (we're from NH) and go
on a "vacation" somewhere warm.  Can anyone tell me about collecting
in Puerto Rico, are there any clubs, what are the best months and
areas on the island?  Books? That sort of thing...  We're
"intermediate" avid collectors. 

Please respond to the newsgroup or email me at [email-masked]

Thanks,  Stephen

PS, any other areas that are good in December, January or February?
It must be in the contiguous 48 states or Puerto Rico (have companion
air ticket).

---

From: [email-masked] (Lester Pasarell)
Date: 20 Oct 1996 11:02:13 -0700

>It must be in the contiguous 48 states or Puerto Rico (have companion
Greetings!

I am originally from Puerto Rico, I enjoy medical mycology and some day I
would like to also learn more about the "other" Mycology. To my knowledge
unfortunately there are no books dedicated exclusevely to the mushroom flora
of the island with pictures, descriptions or otherwhise, except for one book:
"Fungi of Puerto Rico and the American Virgin Islands" by John A. Stevenson.
1975. Which covers the history of mycology in the islands and a survey of
the species found, both of macro and micro fungi. I really hope I am wrong,
and that someone post any other book that could be obtained about the subject.

As far as season to colect fungi, any season is ok(there is not winter in
PR) as long as you visit one of the national forest, like the Yunque ( the
only rain forest within the USA national parks and wildlife service), its a
very beautiful forest, very wet (rains every ten minutes during reainy
season) ,you should be able to observe many species of fungi...and probably
fall in top of one or two( its very muddy and soft). Another good park to
visit is " El monte el Estado", not as wet but many fungi will show up or
you can visit the dry forest of the south of the island, there are many many
different ecosystems within the island thanks to the tall mountains that
cross it from east to west and its location in the caribean. Anyway you will
probably have a good and enjoyable time. I kind of envy you (-:.  There are
many graduate students and Profesors from the "island" who lurk this list,
hopefully one of them has contacted you, if not e mail me and I could give
you details.

lester

(now very homesick)

Lester Pasarell-Luiggi                        
Medical Mycology Reference Laboratory 
Department of Pathology                           
University of Texas Medical Branch            
Galveston, Tx 77555-0609                      
http://fungus.utmb.edu/myco.htm   (for work)
http://marlin.utmb.edu/~lpasarel  (for fun)
e-mail= [email-masked]