Subject: Re: Biological function of Hallucinogens in Fungi?

From: Michael Nicholson <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jan 1996 13:32:53 GMT

I've followed this thread with some interest and agree that much work 
needs to be completed before any real answers will be found.  There are 
some things I've been thinking about, however, regarding comments by Jan 
Sunde and Jim Berlstein...  Considering northern Eurasia may be 
worthwhile.  Raindeer there eat quantities of lichens for sustenance and 
it has been reported that these raindeer are now becoming loaded 
radioactive elements following the Chernobyl incident.  Is it the algal 
or the fungal component of the lichen that is sequestering the 
radioactive fallout?  Wasson and Wasson have detailed accounts of 
raindeer that enjoy, apparently, the hallucinogenic principle from 
Amanita muscaria -- and as I recall the domesticated beasts would 
eagerly consume snow that had been urinated upon by a human who had been 
partaking of the 'soma'.  Unfortunately, I don't remember if there were 
stories of raindeer that actively sought out the mushrooms proper.  Just 
a couple more things to consider.

Michael Nicholson; Dept. Biol.; GVSU; Allendale, MI 49401-9403

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 15:46:51 GMT

Just a quick piece of info regarding Amanita muacaria-
It was just mentioned that reindeer like this stuff-

I know from personal experience that cats will seek out dried amanita 
muscaria specimens if you bring them home, and then eat them, and usually 
die.  The cat that did this at my house 10 years ago lived, after I 
squirted lots of hydrogen peroxide down its throat and made it vomit.  
After this, talking to other people, I heard of other incidences of this 
happening, and in all cases the cats died.  Isn't this interesting? a 
poison that attracts an animal and kills it- in a mushroom that is 
already dead! Very strange.

-
  JIM BERLSTEIN, B.F.D.-    [email-masked]