Subject: Postdocs in Fungal Population Genetics

From: John Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:33:25 -0700

POST DOCTORAL POSITIONS IN FUNGAL POPULATION GENETICS AT BERKELEY.

We are searching for two post doctoral reseserchers to investigate the
population biology of two fungi responsible for human disease,
Coccidioides immitis and Histoplasma capsulatum.

Our project involves the use of nucleic acid variabililty and population
genetics to study the natural history and epidemiology of fungi. 
Candidates for both positions should have experience in evolutionary
biology using molecular techniques, and must have a PhD degree.  

One new researcher should have a strong background in mycology,
including experience in the cultivation of fungi.  The other new
researcher should have a strong background in population genetics. 

Some recent examples of our research in this area may be found in:

Burt, A., D. A. Carter, G. L. Koenig, T. J. White, and J. W. Taylor. 
1996. Molecular markers and sex in the human pathogen Coccidioides
immitis (Ascomycota).  Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 93:770-773.

Carter, D.A., A. Burt, J.W. Taylor, G.L. Koenig and T.J. White. 1996. 
Clinical isolates of Histoplasma capsulatum from Indianapolis have a
recombining population structure. J. Clinical Microbiology 34:2577-2584

Burt, A., Carter, D.A., White, T.J., and Taylor, J.W. 1994. DNA
sequencing with arbitrary primer pairs.  Molecular Ecology 3:523-525.

Bowman, B. H., T. J. White, and J. W. Taylor.  1996.  Evolutionary
relationships of human pathogenic fungi: multiple origins of
pathogenicity in the fungal order Onygenales.  Molec. Phylog. Evol.
6:89-96.

Funding is from the National Institutes of Health and will support at
least two years of research for both positions.   The positions are
available now.  

Interested researchers should contact:

Dr. John W. Taylor
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology 
111 Koshland Hall
Unversity of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-3102
[email-masked]

Dr. Thomas J. White
c/o
Ms. Kathleen Gonzales
CHORI
747 52nd ST
Oakland, CA 94609-1809
510-428-3511 ph
510-428-3608 fax
[email-masked]

The University of California is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer.

-- 

____________________________________
From:   John Taylor, Department of Plant and Microbial Biology,
        111 Koshland Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 
94720-3102
        Tel (510) 642-5366, Fax (510) 642-4995,
[email-masked]