Subject: enhancing fungi development after fire

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Aug 1996 07:52:52 -0700

I am interested in finding information on ways to enhance/ensure  the early
successional stages/colonization of   fungi in  conifer forested areas that
have been recently burned.  Most of the tree cover was killed during the
fire,  but there are surviving grasses, forbes and shrubs in most areas.
 Much of the area is being salvage logged.  The fire took place in the summer
of 1994.  Other than leaving  adequate coarse woody debris on the site, what
other things might be done ??  Do any of you know of research that has been
done in this area ?  I would also be very interested in what is known about
 the introduction of non-native grasses as erosion protection after fire, and
if this could be a detriment to the establishment or the maintainence of
  post fire fungal populations.  I have read that this is part of the slash
and burn problem in the rain forest, where crops are grown for a short period
and then the land will no longer support  native vegetation, could this apply
to forested areas in eastern washington state ?  Any help you could provide
would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

---

From: claude selitrennikoff <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Aug 1996 15:48:28 GMT

I don't believe you that the area will no longer support native 
vegitation. Did the fire change the soil so much?

Although I am a novice in this area, since I only had a few classes that 
included information on the ecology of fungi, I will venture on what I 
know from my experience:  Although I have seen molds growing all over 
burnt-out houses (like Neurospora), most mushrooms need some decomposing 
matter (or living matter) to live off of.  I figure that this means they 
will be OK if the fire was cool enough to leave the underground matter, 
but if the fire was very hot it would sterilize the soil.  I just read a 
bit about this in the last issue of Natl. Geographic.  But as far as 
starting new fungi: why don't you contact one of your local mushroom 
farmers (like Monterrey Mushrooms) who are experts on what kinds of 
composts to mix?

---

From: claude selitrennikoff <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Aug 1996 16:10:34 GMT

One more thing, if you are in Washington State there are some professors 
(and maybe even extension agents) at Washington State University who 
would probably be thrilled to talk with you.  I know WSU has a homepage 
on the internet, if you have access, and that would be a way of finding 
out which professors would have the expertise you are looking for.
Good Luck, 
S. Canada