Subject: (none)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Dec 1994 07:12:22 -0800

MYCOLOGY AT GEORGIA

Mycology at Georgia:  The Mycology Program is unique in the U.S. for its
strength and diversity, and has the only NIH-funded Mycology Training Grant
supporting Predoctoral students.  In addition to the faculty listed below,
there are adjunct faculty who can serve as rotation advisors.  These include
Dr. Tim Lott (Centers for Disease Control),  Dr. David Logan
(Clark-Atlanta University), Dr. Steven Y. Newell (UGA Marine 
Institute), and Dr. Charles Bacon (USDA).

FACULTY

Jonathan Arnold (Genetics Department)
Physical mapping and evolution of fungal genomes

Sarah F. Covert (School of Forest Resources)
Molecular biology of fungal plant pathogens; mechanisms of pathogenesis
and host specificity

Karl-Erik L. Eriksson (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Department)
Research in lignin biodegradation; degradation of wood polysaccharides;
study of bacteria isolated from white-rot fungi

Claiborne Glover (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Department)
Biochemistry of protein phorphorylation and cell cycle regulation
in Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Scott E. Gold (Plant Pathology Department)
Genetics of dimorphism and pathogenicity in the corn smut fungus
Ustilago maydis

Michael G. Hahn (Complex Carbohydrate Research Center)
Plant receptors for fungal cell wall-derived oligoglucosides that
induce plant defenses; immunological studies of fungal cell walls

Richard T. Hanlin (Plant Pathology Department)
Developmental morphology of ascomycetes and their conidial states; biology
of plant pathogenic perithecioid ascomycetes

Charles W. Mims (Plant Pathology Department)
Ultrastructural studies of sporogenesis in fungi and of
host-pathogen relationships in fungal diseases of plants

David Porter (Botany Department)
Biology and phylogeny of zoosporic marine fungi and slime molds.
Fungal parasites of seagrasses

PROGRAMS

The Mycology Program at the University of Georgia has 14 faculty members
with research interests covering a broad range of topics in modern mycology.
Some of the areas of particular emphasis include:

- Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Biochemistry and Physiology
- Morphology
- Evolution

FACILITIES

The Mycology Program, spanning the Departments of Genetics, Biochemistry,
Botany, Forestry, and Plant Pathology, has excellent support
facilities for research programs including:

- 28,000 sq. ft of greenhouse and growth chambers
- large herbarium collection
- NSF/DOE/USDA-funded BioScience Computational Resource for DNA sequence 
analysis, molecular modeling, and evolutionary analyses
- NSF/DOE-funded Molecular Genetics Instrumentation Facility (MGIF) for
DNA and protein sequencing, DNA and peptide synthesis, and peptide purification
- Monoclonal Antibody Facility
- NSF-funded ultrastructural research facility with state-of-the-art
electron and confocal microscopy equipment
- DOE-funded Complex Carbohydrate Research Center (CCRC) with mass spectrometry 
and NMR facilities

Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Research
Funding is available from a variety of sources to support graduate students
and postdoctoral researchers, including NIH Mycology training grants,
fellowships, and research and teaching assistantships.

For more information on the Mycology Program at the University, mail in
one of the cutouts below or access UGA Gopher or call Michael Hahn
at (706) 542-4457.

For more information on postdoctoral opportunities, write directly or
send an email to the faculty member in whom you have an interest. 
The mailing address is _________ Department, University of Georgia,
Athens, GA 30602.  Email addresses are listed under 
the UGA Gopher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please send me more information, and an application package, for
graduate studies in the Mycology Program.

Area of Interest: ___________________
Name: __________________________
Address: ________________________

         ________________________

         ________________________
Graduate Studies Coordinator
Mycology Program
CCRC
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602

---

From: [email-masked] (BMRARICK)
Date: 2 Jan 1995 14:08:42 -0500

Are there any N.A.M.A. members in this newsgroup?

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Heytler)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 21:14:30 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Are there any N.A.M.A. members in this newsgroup?

I'm sure there are. I have been a member for a good many years, though 
not particularly active.
--Peter Heytler