Subject: phytophthora transformation????

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 23:21:21 GMT

Hello,
	I would like to know whether Phytophthora sp. is easily transformed,
at a high frequency. The idea is to screen a genomic library from a 
different fungus in Phytophthora, for expression of a phenotype. It seems
like a long shot to me, but I would appreciate some input from others that
have worked on Phytophthora, as I'm a beginner on this fungus. Please post
any suggestions on this newsgroup, or email directly to me. Thanks.

Dimitri Georgakopoulos
Institute of Mol. Biology and Biotechnology
Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas
PO Box 1527
Heraklion, Crete, Greece

email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Brett Tyler)
Date: 29 Sep 1995 12:54:42 -0700

One of the best Phytophthora transformation systems has been developed for
Phytophthora infestans by Howard Judelson who is now at the Department of
Plant Pathology, University of California, Riverside
([email-masked]).  He is getting rates of around 1000 per
microgram DNA.

You should be aware however that promoters from true fungi (ascomycetes,
basidiomycetes, zygomycetes, chytridiomycetes) do NOT work well in the
cells of oomycetes, which are phylogentically related to heterokont algae.
Splicing of introns may also be a problem.  You would need to expresss
cDNAs in an oomycete expression vector.  Howard Judelson has developed such
vectors.

>email: [email-masked]

****************
Brett Tyler
Professor
Department of Plant Pathology
University of California, Davis
[email-masked]
****************