Subject: PhD in fungal debelopment, Zurich

From: Ursel Kues <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 16:53:12 +0000

PhD position available at the Microbiology Institute, ETH Zürich,
starting from the 1st of January 1997 or at convenience on the
subject:

Fruitbody development in the mushroom Coprinus cinereus

Coprinus cinereus is a model organism to study developmental processes
in the basidiomycetous fungi. The organism is easy to handle in the
laboratoy and classical and molecular genetic techniques are well
established for this fungi.
We are a young growing group studying sexual and asexual
differentiation processes of C. cinereus. In a periode of one and a
half year we generated a large collection of developmental mutants by
REMI (restriction enzyme-mediated DNA insertion) and by UV
mutagenesis. We identified a number of clones which have defects in
fruitbody initiation and light regulation. The new PhD student is
expected to characterize such mutants by cytological and physiological
methods. Genes will be cloned either by plasmid rescue (REMI mutants)
or by transformation and complementation (UV mutants) using an
existing genomic library. The genes will be characterised in function
with molecular genetic techniques. Developmental and environmental
regulation of gene expression will be studied. Our department is well
equipped for molecular, biochemical and mycological research as for
computing and we have access to electron-microscopy.
For relevant literature see Casselton L.A., Kues U. in The Mycota I
(J.G.H. Wessels, F. Meinhardt, eds) pp. 307-322, Springer 1994 and
Wessels J.G.H. in The Mycota I, pp 351-366
A successful PhD candidate must have a masters degree (diploma).
Experiences in molecular DNA techniques, physiology and/or mycology
are of advantage.

Please contact for further information and send your application with
curriculum vitae to:

        Prof. Markus Aebi               (Tel: ++41-1-6326413; e-mail:
[email-masked])
or      Dr. Ursula Kues         (Tel: ++41-1-6324925; e-mail:
[email-masked])
        ETH Zurich
        Institut für Mikrobiologie      (Fax: ++41-1-6321148)
        Schmelzbergstr. 7
        CH-8037 Zurich
        Switzerland