Subject: Re: strange mycelium growth on agar

From: Ken Hodson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 20:36:22 -0700

I have just begun experimenting with growing cultures on mycelim. Some
grow very radial, although not as ropy as i've seen in pictures. Some
grow into these mountain type deals! They aren't contaminated, but won't
grow out much(radialy). I am working on getting my main strain(master
culture). The culture I derived my above mentioned cultures came from a
fully colonized plate. It appears to be of good stock as little pin
heads were beginning to form in some places. It was very nice and radial
but not the to-die-for supper ropy master culture I have seen in books(
maybe this is not possible with my strain) but it is far from the
cottony non fruiting examples. Any and all advice apreciated.

---

From: Orin Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 13:52:22 -0500

I have used Physarum polycephalum in my classroom to introduce
characteristics of living things in tenth grade Biology. I am looking
for other people who have done research on this slime mold as well as
other ideas for using it.  After exploration my students formulate their
own experiments using this substance.

Sheila Carlson
Barnesville High School
Barnesville MN 56514