Subject: Laminar Flow Hood

From: [email-masked] (James Caldwell)
Date: 5 Jun 1995 19:28:02 GMT

I just finished an article for a beer magazine on how to build a
laminar flow hood (for about 100 bucks).  Since I got the idea
originally from Stamet's book on mushroom culturing, it occurred to me
that some readers of this group might be interested as well.  I'll fax
or snail mail copies to any interested party.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Caldwell)
Date: 6 Jun 1995 15:18:20 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (James
>or snail mail copies to any interested party.

Wow!   I grossly underestimated the interest in this article; I got
more than 20 requests and 24hours haven't even elapsed.  I have been
E-mailing a text version of the article to those who have requested it.
 If you desire the article with photos and simple drawings (not really
necessary IMHO) please send me a SASE at

Jim Caldwell
9180 Nana Russell Rd.
Owings, MD  20736

(I'll spring for the postage for non-US addresses if you send a
self-addressed envelope)

In the meantime, requests for the article text or questions can be
directed to me at [email-masked]

For the curious, the key to my design was the use of an inexpensive
high output (520 cfm) radial output fan with back-curved impellers, and
downsizing the HEPA filter to 12" x 24".  Going to a larger filter
(which the fan will handle) would up the cost from about $100 to $140
or so.  Sources for the above parts are included in the article.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Caldwell)
Date: 6 Jun 1995 15:26:43 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (James
Caldwell) writes: 

Me again:  I neglected to mention the magazine where the article is
published, it is Brewing Techniques, MAY/JUNE 1995.  Copies or
subscriptions may be ordered from tel 503 687-2993 or fax 503 687-8534,
located at 1127 Lincoln Street, Eugene, OR  97401.

You should be able to buy copies at your local homebrew supply store.

---

From: Raymond HK Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jun 1995 00:41:56 GMT

>or snail mail copies to any interested party.

I work in a clinical laboratory, but it would helpful if you could e-mail 
the information on laminar flow hood. Thanks in advanced.
Raymond Leung
Queen Mary Hospital
Hong Kong