Subject: Re :- Science/Hobby -for the scientifically minded

From: [email-masked] (UNICORNbag)
Date: 29 Oct 1995 10:29:10 -0500

This was posted in MICROBIOLOGICAL DISCUSSIONS and I think the
scientifically minded :-From :[email-masked](Michael Traris)
25 Oct 1995

Hi,
I would like to disrupt the cells of the filamentous fungi METHARHIZIUM in
order to extract cytosolic proteins. I tried the following proceedure :-
1. Filter the fungal culture=20
2.Freeze wet mycelium with liquid nitrogen.=20
3.Grind rigorously in a pre-cooled mortar with stepwise additon of
buffer(with protease inhibitor) and liquid nitrogen=20
4. Stir the homogenate in a beker with one volume of glass beads (1 mm)
at=4=A1C
The result is not satisfying as I can see a lot of long unbroken hyphae
under the microscope. Any protocols or suggestions for an improvement of
the extraction proceedure would be highly welcomed.
thank you=20 Michel
Michael Traris, Laboratoire de Mycologie,Station de Pathologie Comparee
INRA-CNRS
30380 St-Christol-lez-Ales=09 tel:66 78 37 00=09=09FAX 66 52 46 99
FRANCE 
email address : [email-masked]

re sent and types by Lou Hsu
[email-masked]
[email-masked]