Subject: graveyard Cortinarius

From: [email-masked] (ANDREA HOYT)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:43:58 GMT

hello.
I was wondering if anyone could help me find a source which would give a 
little history on a _Cortinarius_ sp. which tends to be found in graveyards, 
as it only grows on dead human flesh.  A friend of mine did a project on the 
genus last year, and now I would like to mention this particular species in 
a paper, but can't find the citation.  And my mycologist friend has gone to 
teh other end of the country, and can't help me.  If anyone knows of this 
mushroom, please e-mail me.  Thank you very much.
:-).

Andrea Hoyt

e-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tryggvi Emilsson)
Date: 24 Apr 1996 15:37:49 -0700

> as it only grows on dead human flesh.  A friend of mine did a project on the 

Hmm...Sounds like Cortinarius Bovis-merdorum(sp?)...

---

From: Dave Jefferies <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 20:09:02 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, ANDREA HOYT
<[email-masked]> writes
>as it only grows on dead human flesh.  A friend of mine did a project on the 

Not a Cortinarius but in the Cortinariaceae is Hebeloma radicosum. This
is apparently known in Japan as the 'corpse fungus' since it will grow
on dead animals, such as humans. In particular it is associated with
mole rat 'nests' I gather. 

Source was a lecture by a Japanese Professor Sagara (the spelling may be
wrong) who has been studying the species and worked at Sheffield (UK)
university in the late 80's. You may be able to find other references.

Dave

------------------------------
       Dave Jefferies
[email-masked]  (Home)
[email-masked] (Work)