Subject: wall digestion

From: [email-masked] (Don R. Reynolds)
Date: 12 May 1995 13:06:17 -0700

An enzyme for the digestion of ascomycete cell walls from herbarium
(usually dried) specimens is sought. The protocol being developed is for
DNA recovery.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Don R. Reynolds
Natural History Museum
900 Exposition Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90007
213 744 3232
http://www.usc.edu/lacmnh/default.html

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 10:02:15 GMT

>(usually dried) specimens is sought. The protocol being developed is for

     Bob Metzenberg came up with a method for extracting DNA from large
     numbers of small samples of Neurospora without the use of enzymes.
     Dried mycelium was extracted with 5-10 vols of ethanolic perchlorate
     (perchloric acid in ethanolic soln.).  This reagent solubilizes DNA and RNA
     and precipitates proteins.  The nethod was published in Neurospora Newsletter
     in about 1981 or 1982 and it was based on Wilcoxson J. (1975) Anal. Biochem.,
     66, 64.  The DNA cleaves very nicely with restriction enzymes.
     
     	Alec

 ...aged 40 and still unusual... (Viv Stanshall, in memoriam)
****************************************************************
*Alec Chambers ([email-masked])        *My employer and I   *
*Associate Scientific Information Analyst *speak to one another*
*Chemical Abstracts Service               *but we do not speak *
*Phone: (614)-447-3600 ext. 3992          *for one another.    *
****************************************************************
PGP 2.6.2 Public key available on request.