Subject: Fwd: Are Deuteromycetes Universally Amylolytic?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Sep 1996 08:17:00 -0700

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: Are Deuteromycetes Universally Amylolytic?
Date:    96-09-23 06:40:44 EDT
From:    Ribosome96
To:      [email-masked]
CC:      [email-masked]

I am refering to clearing zones around the fungal colony while the rest of
the water based agar (plus mineral salts minus CHO source) are stained  with
brownish-yellowish color of iodine stain. I think this is the color  dextrin,
or partialy degraded  amylose impart with iodine  solution.Try it with any
deuteromycetes (stick to the old meaning of deuteromycetes because somebody
is asserting that deuteros are ascomycetes..). that's why I am proposing that
deuteromycetes are universally amylolytic whether it may degrade amylose or
probably its swollen  counterpart or its molecular intermediate form.

In case the deuteros produce amyloid around its vicinity then might as well
 stain around it but that is not the case with my experiement..it is  a
clearing zone that develops.

ITS
Research Consultant

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 Sep 1996 08:18:47 -0700

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: Are Deuteromycetes Universally Amylolytic?
Date:    96-09-26 11:12:33 EDT
From:    Ribosome96
To:      [email-masked]

Eric,

   Thanks for your aggresive approach to this mystery. I used I2--KI
(iodine-potassium iodide solution) which was slightly acidified. All
deuteromyctes that I tried had a clearing zone. It would either be beneath
the colony only or in its periphery and this vary in  width. But there is
really a clearing zone after flooding with  this iodine stain.

   I think I used Bacto-Agar.  If we think of impurities in Bacto-Agar , what
are then these impurities? Two replies in here: First: Amylose or its
intermediates or its swollen parts etc. Second: Cellulose or its
intermediates.  I hypothesized it as cellulose but someone sent me Crude
Amylases to test it in the bacto- agar BUT I Haven't tried it yet. If you
have the lab. as of now, why don't give it a try? Probably we can solve it
that way!! Tell me  the results!! The Amylase hypothesis was brought out
because of  this iodine that I used. But if you flood a Filter paper which is
cellulolytic it also registers the brownish-yellowish color of this iodine
stain.

  Agarolytic? It does not liquefy my agar medium and there is no significant
change
that I can point out as to the physical appearance of the used  agar medium.
One time, I let some Zygomy... grew there, they grow but no clearing zones.
Deuteros are always positive including Fusarium, Pestalotia etc. They are
really metabolizing something in the agar because of the clearing zone which
for most outlines their size.

  ISIDRO