Subject: False message: Toadstool-fixer needed!

From: "Ralph D. Arnold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 96 21:09:00 PST

Hey, this message was posted with MY email address, but I did not send
it!!!!!   If you can help me discover the idiot who did, please let me know.

>Hello there!
>
>I write a book in which Alfred, a 19th researcher, grows the Amanita
>muscaria at home, or at least the vegetative part; he then places it back
>onto the roots of a berch, where eventually fruiting bodies are supposed to
>develop. (it is all part of an insane plot concocted by a little creep to
>sell them abroad for big money)
>
>At that time (1880), little was know about Amanitas, so Alfred has to
>discover by trial-and-error how to culture the mushroom. I know that it is
>hard to germinate the spores, but would anyone know how long the process
>takes (days? weeks?) What the best culture medium is, and why, and what the
>different stages of development look like?
>
>I especially would like some really vivid descriptions, maybe you can refer
>me to someone who cultured mycorrhizas? Or a good book? Any good advice is
>welcome! Thanks!
>
>
>
>
>