Subject: Mushroom GROWING in the kitchen! ID?

From: Darin Burleigh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:28:25 -0500

The other night my wife called me into the kitchen. 'Look 
at this'. There, growing up right behing the faucet of the
kitchen sink, was a pale white gilled mushroom. Apparently
the mycelium was growing in the woodwork, and the cap push
through a crack in the linoleum. It must have come up duing
the day, when we were both out. It was still 'blooming', as
the cap had not yet opened yet. 

Fortunately for science, neither my wife nor I are mycophobes,
so we let it be. By the next night, the cap had fully opened, 
and in fact been releasing spores. Since the linoleum is more
or less white, this saved me the trouble of doing a spore print.

Based on my observations:  
        White stalk, off-white scaly cap, clayish-pink spore,
        gills white, free,
        growing on dead wood
I key it out as: Pluteus longistriatus in Arora's book.

does this seem reasonable? any else seens such a thing?

- darin
  [email-masked]