Subject: Re: Favorite DNA isolation protocol

From: Kevin McCluskey <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Nov 95 10:56:22 CST

A variety of different genomic DNA isolation protocols
for filamentous fungi have been published in the 
Fungal Genetics Newsletter.  Several of these articles are
available on-line at the FGSC web site.
If you have yet to find the FGSC web site, it is located at
http://www.kumc.edu/research/fgsc/main.html

The methods are in the FGN pages, but can be accessed
>from  the methods page.

Kevin McCluskey

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Skory)
Date: 7 Nov 1995 13:39:53 GMT

I apologize if this topic has shown up before on this news group. 
But, I was wondering what methods fellow molecular biologist 
working with filamentous fungi prefer for isolating genomic DNA 
>from  fungi.  I've tried numerous methods and am not very content 
with any particular one.  Do most of you use CsCl or CTAB for 
getting rid of carbohydrate?  The best luck I have had with 
isolating high quality genomic DNA has been with grinding in 
liquid nitrogen (with mortar and pestle), extracting a few times 
with phenol/chlor, and finally separating with CsCl.  
Unfortunately, this procedure is very time consuming.  Any other 
input??

Christopher D. Skory, Ph.D. 		 
Research Microbiologist

National Center for Agricultural	        
  Utilization Research, USDA-ARS 	             
Fermentation Biochemistry Unit 
Peoria, Illinois 61571-3902       

E-mail:  [email-masked]

---

From: Rodney Earl Pettway <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 13:43:05 +0000

We isolate DNA from 6 different fungi in our lab.  We have three 
different DNA extraction protocols (CTAB, SDS and Sarkosyl) that work 
really well.  With a little organization we are able to process up to 100 
isolates in one day.  If you would like I could send you the "BULLET" 
proof protocols.  Just drop me a line.

ciao ciao,
rodney

---

From: [email-masked] (Gregory May)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 95 15:51:09 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>proof protocols.  Just drop me a line.

Why not post the methods.  Other might be interested in them as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Gregory S. May
  Department of Cell Biology
  Baylor College of Medicine
  One Baylor Plaza
  Houston, TX  77030
  Tel.  713-798-4756
  FAX.  713-798-7799
  E-mail [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~