Subject: Position Available

From: [email-masked] (Kathy Borkovich)
Date: 6 Jun 1996 12:23:43 -0700

A Postdoctoral Research Position is available to study heterotrimeric G
protein signaling pathways in the filamentous fungus Neurospora crassa.  N.
crassa was the first microorganism demonstrated to possess a G-alpha
protein (Gna-1) that was a member of a class found in higher organisms (Gi
family).  Our current research focus is to identify the G protein beta and
gamma subunits, receptors and effectors that interact with G-alpha proteins
during signal transduction in N. crassa.  Techniques utilized in our
laboratory include PCR, cDNA and genomic library screening, DNA sequencing,
Northern analysis, N. crassa electroporation (including gene replacements),
phenotypic analysis of mutants, protein overexpression, antiserum
generation and protein analysis.  Applicants should have a Ph.D. degree in
one of the biological/chemical sciences, and possess a good command of
spoken and written English.  Experience in microbiological and recombinant
DNA techniques is desirable.  The position is available beginning in
fall/winter 1996-97.  Send a curriculum vitae (including a list of
publications) and the names of three references to Dr. Katherine A.
Borkovich, Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics JFB 1.765,
University of Texas-Houston Medical School, 6431 Fannin Street, Houston, TX
77030.  E-mail: [email-masked].  The University of Texas
Health Science Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.  Women and
Minorities are encouraged to apply.

Relevant References:
        Ivey, F.D, Hodge, P.N., Turner, G.E. and Borkovich, K.A. "The
G-(alpha)i homologue Gna-1 controls multiple differentiation pathways in
Neurospora crassa" (1996) Mol. Biol. Cell., in press.
        Alex, L.A., Borkovich, K.A. and Simon, M.I. "Hyphal development in
Neurospora crassa: involvement of a two-component histidine kinase" (1996)
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA  93: 3416-3421.
        Borkovich, K.A. "Signal transduction pathways and heterotrimeric G
proteins", (1996) in The Mycota: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol.
III, eds. R. Brambl and G. Marzluf, Springer-Verlag, New York, NY, pp.
211-233.
        Turner, G. E. and Borkovich, K.A. "Identification of a G protein
alpha subunit from Neurospora crassa that is a member of the Gi family"
(1993) J. Biol. Chem. 268: 14805-14811.