Subject: candida parapsilosis

From: "Douglas J. Connor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 21:59:33 -0700

Awhile back, I requested help from anyone knowledgeable or experienced 
with c. parapsilosis (in this case trichosporon penicillatum), a 
particular strain which has invaded both mine and my friends' body. It 
has expressed itself by causing our hair to somewhat twist and curl and 
to grow very sparsely in patches on our scalps. This is especially 
difficult for my friend as she has been accustomed to having beautiful 
hair. It also makes our skin feel oily or waxy and has a definite odor to 
it. This fungus has also invaded our house, carpeting,clothes, etc. to 
the extent that some of our clothes become uncomfortable to wear (and 
even painful with a burning sensation).
 We are not nor have we ever had medical problems of any significance. We 
are in our mid forties and college educated, and reside on the No. 
California coast. Medical doctors have not been much help and though they 
have seen the symptoms they have treated for head lice, mites, and 
ringworm. We have been using sporanox for three months but haven't yet 
had any positive results.
 The only person who answered my first inquiry was a research mycologist 
who, although he meant well, was self limited by his "knowledge" and 
ultimately was of no help. If there is any one with an open mind who may 
be curious or who may be able to help us eliminate this, please contact: 
 [email-masked]   THANK YOU

---

From: Susan Jane Hogarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 11:46:48 -0400

Douglas J. Connor wrote:
> particular strain which has invaded both mine and my friends' body.

{snip}

> be curious or who may be able to help us eliminate this, please contact:

Looking for a faith healer, eh? Well, I'll pray for you (not). 
It's damn hard to have it both ways - you want an experieced, competent mycologist who
has what you'd call an "open mind" (which I strongly suspect means someone who will offer
up some offbeat, modernized snakeoil). I'm afraid you might have to make a decision -
stick with reg'lar doctors (who certainly can be idiots, but can occaisionaly be quite
clever), or just start drinking the Kambuschka tea. The mix-n-match therapy can do more
harm than good.

Sorry if I seem to be taking your suffering lightly - I really am not. Here's my advice
(obviously, I'm not what you call the "open-minded" type):
*bug the hell out of your doctor, see other doctors, bug the hell out of them* 
That *may* do you some good. Ask _lots_ of questions, and when you remember the questions
you forgot to ask, call the doctor back, and ask them over the 'phone.

I hope things work out for you.

-- 

Susan Jane Hogarth (self-limited by her knowledge :)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish 

"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
taught." -- Winston Churchill

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html

---

From: [email-masked](Lars D. Peterson)
Date: 8 Jun 1996 06:13:19 GMT

In <[email-masked]> "Douglas J. Connor"
<[email-masked]> writes: 
[abridged]
>has expressed itself by causing our hair to somewhat twist and curl
and to grow very sparsely in patches on our scalps. It also makes our
skin feel oily or waxy and has a definite odor to it. This fungus has
also invaded our house, carpeting,clothes, etc. tothe extent that some
of our clothes become uncomfortable to wear (and even painful with a
burning sensation). Medical doctors have not been much help and though
they have seen the symptoms they have treated for head lice, mites, and
ringworm. We have been using sporanox for three months but haven't yet
had any positive results. If there is any one with an open mind who may
be curious or who may be able to help us eliminate this, please
> [email-masked]   THANK YOU

    It occurs to me to ask how you know what it is you are infected
with, whereas the doctors you consulted do not. Please pardon my
questioning your judgement, I am merely asking for my own edification.

Thanx,
MAX da Wolf

---

From: "Douglas J. Connor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:31:48 -0700

Lars D. Peterson wrote:
> MAX da WolfDefinately a vald question. I asked my personal doctor to send samples to 
a lab in Utah. These were samples of a fuzz like nature taken from our 
scalps after showering and a clump of hair from my armpit.the results 
were candida parapsilosis, Trichosporon penicillatum (formerly 
geotrichum). Most of the doctors didn't even persue a fungal source, 
except one, an internist at UCDavis Med Center. She took samples and 
i.d.'d ringworm fungus, tinea capita. Ater that initial visit and 
treatment, which didn't appear to work nothing else re. fungus was 
persued.
[email-masked]