Subject: Re: Help!

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 21 Feb 1995 16:43:35 GMT

Dustin,
Psilocybe cubensis SPORES are probably legal, as they contain no 
psilocybin.  If you do grow the mushrooms, however, they contain 
psilocybin, a reasonably effective hallucinogen similar to LSD.  Then you 
will be guilty of not only posession of a controled substance, but the 
manufacture of a controled substance.  Under today's draconian and 
misguided drug laws, this could subject you to jail time and the possible 
confiscation of your home, just as if you were operating a large 
methamphetamine factory.  In practice, I do not think the laws against 
possesion of psilocybin are enforced to this absurd level, yet I believe 
it is possible in theory. If all you want out of a mushroom is a good 
meal, I would reccomend some other species, preferbly one not in the 
psilocybe genus.  Best of luck.

-
  JIM BERLSTEIN  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stamets 1)
Date: 22 Feb 1995 10:07:49 -0500

I believe viable spores of active Psilocybes
 are clearly ILLEGAL. If the spores can be germinated, 
they will generate psilocybin and/or psilocin, two
indoles specifically restricted by law. (Schedule 1; Title 21).

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 23 Feb 1995 15:13:23 GMT

LegaL status of psilocybe spores-

     I talked to my friendly defense lawyer friend last night.  This is 
what I learned:

      Spores, if they contain no psilocybin/psilocin AND they contain no 
restricted chemical precursers to these compounds, then they are not 
illegal, but.......
purchasing them, or having them can probably be used to show an intent to 
manufacture psilocybin; and an overzealous police force, with visions of 
confiscated property and big police parties, can charge you with 
Conspiricy to manufacture a controled substance.  If  you happen to order 
spores and a growing kit from a false company that is really a sting 
operation, then, assuming you used your home phone, your home is a 
location that has facilitated this conspiracy, and is subject to 
confiscation.  Hard to believe but true. So, while the legal status of 
spores is still debatable as far as I know, they can clearly get you into 
trouble either way. I apologize for any inaccurate information I may have 
conveyed.

-