Subject: gene clusters

From: [email-masked] (David H. Griffin)
Date: 18 May 1995 16:13:18 GMT

Is anyone looking at the evolution of genome organization, specifically
clustering of genes with related functions. This has been reported
frequently among fungi, but these clusters are not always universal,
for example the proline genes of Aspergillus nidulans are clustered but
those of Saccharomyces cerevisiae are not. Is gene clustering of
physiologically related genes common amongst other organisms than
fungi? Any examples with references, or at least investigators names
that I can readily search would be appreciated. Any ideas on the
evolutionary basis?

Gene clusters that I know about:

proline utilization in Aspergillus nidulans 
sporulation specific genes in Aspergillus nidulans 
quinic acid utilization in Neurospora crassa 
galactose utilization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Kluveromyces
lactis
some, but not all histone genes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae 
penicillin biosynthesis in Penicillium chrysogenum 
sterigmatocystin biosynthesis in Aspergillus nidulans 
aflatoxin biosynthesis in Aspergillus parasiticus ?

David H. Griffin
Department of Environmental & Forest Biology
College of Environmental Science and Forestry
350 Illick Hall
One Forestry Drive
Syracuse NY 13210-2788
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Chuck Staben <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 May 1995 13:57:08 GMT

[email-masked] (David H. Griffin) wrote:
It's a little obvious, but the mating type idiomorphs frequently contain
clusters of genes serving different functions in a related pathway.
I know this is a special case, but it is perhaps a useful example.
Is this clustering evidence that genes under selection can become
linked?

Second, I think that both S. cerevisiae and A. nidulans are the fungi
most likely to provide data relevant to this question.  The
yeast genome project is obvious.  Jonathan Arnold's genome work, and
rumors of a DBEST project for Aspergillus suggest that information of
a similar type may soon be available for Aspergillus.
> clustering of genes with related functions. 

 Any ideas on the