Subject: fungi on charred trees

From: [email-masked] (Jack Murphy)
Date: 23 Apr 1996 16:55:21 -0700

Dear Mycologists;
        I recently observed a large fruiting of Porodisculus pendulus
(Schwein.) Murr. (=Polyporus pocula (Schwein.) Berk. & M. A. Curtis) at the
charred bases of living oak trees which two years previously had been
subjected to a controlled burn.  The fungi appeared to be decomposing the bark.
        Whether or not the Porodisculus is harming the tree or not I can't
say, though I'll keep my eye on them.  
        I'm writing to solicit observations of fungi associated with trees
following controlled burning.  This is an important issue particularly here
in the prairie-oak savanna region of North America, where prescribed burning
is becoming an accepted component of the management of public lands.
Apparently the optimal frequency and intensity of the burns is a matter of
some debate among restoration biologists, and your observations of fungi in
these situations could provide important information.
        Thanks in advance,

Jack

******************************************
Dr. John (Jack) Murphy  ([email-masked])
Dept. of Botany
Field Museum of Natural History
Chicago, IL 60605-2496
(312) 922-9410 ext. 722
fax (312) 427-2530