Subject: Aspergillus fumigatus

From: [email-masked] (Phyllis Ruther)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 14:01:01

Ray- Check any text on medical mycology-  Aspergillus fumigatus is the most 
frequent disease causing member of Aspergillus sp.  -and its everywhere, in 
fact it is a frequent contaminant on agar plates being cultured for something 
else.  Under most situations most of us can fight it off most of the time, but 
if there is any immune suppression going on, such as AIDS, cancer, diabetes, 
treatment with steroids, immuno - suppressive drugs given to transplant 
pts., etc. chances of infection are more likely.  I think  the most frequent 
site of infection is the lungs.
                                                 Phyllis Ruther
                                                 Division of Medical 
                                                 Laboratory Sciences 
                                                 University of IL at Chicago
--
Phyllis Ruther
University of Illinois at Chicago
E-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Jul 1996 19:14:21 GMT

>>Ray - Check any text on medical mycology-  Aspergillus fumigatus is the most 

Ray,  Phyllis is right about this fungus.  You should also know this fungus has been
reported to be responsible for the so-called 'sick building syndrome' along with A. niger
and many other opportunistic fungi.  Check under this topic for more information

                                                    David Slomczynski
                                           [email-masked]