Subject: Re: Aspergillus in Ventilation Systems

From: [email-masked] (Richard Byrd)
Date: 6 May 1995 00:41:04 GMT

Several big questions.  What species of Aspergillus?  And you say
"probably" in ducts.  What is basis for saying this?

If there is a severe contamination situation with a toxigenic or
pathogenic species, e.g., A. fumigatus, or A. versicolor for example,
then there are very definitely precautions to be taken.  Classic
article on this that I know of is by P.Morey from ASHRAE Transactions I
believe.

Tell me more about the situation and I can give you more specific
guidance.

Richard R. Byrd
Director, Indoor Air Quality Investigations
Machado Environmental Corp.
Glendale, Calif.

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought.  It is founded 
upon our thoughts. It is made up of our thoughts.... By oneself evil is
done. By oneself one suffers.  By oneself evil is left undone. By 
oneself one is purified.... Strenuousness is the path of immortality,
sloth the path of death.... those who are slothful are as if dead 
already." - Gautama Buddha's answer to Democrats.

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Peter E. Roddy) writes: 
>
>I have been asked to "find" information on Aspergillus.  The fungi is
>probably in our heating and air conditioning ducts that are scheduled
>for cleaning with a water solution.  While I have located a lot of
back-
>ground info, I have not been able to find specific recommendation for
>employees that are to clean the ducts that contain this fungi and
perhaps
>others as well.
>
>Can anyone offer some specifics (i.e., full face respirator with HEPA
>filters, gloves, tyvek suits, etc.?)  If you know of an article I
should
>read I would very much appreciate that information also.
>
>My primary concern is to provide employees that best possible
protection
>while they accomplish this task.
>
>Thank you for any assistance.
>
>Peter Roddy, Manager
>Environmental Health and Safety
>California State University, Sacramento
>Internet:  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 May 1995 23:39:18 -0700

Aspergillus niger, along with a few other species, was implicated in a 
recent article in Environmental Microbiology (or some such, sorry) in 
having a potential role in 'sick-building' syndrome.  Apparently it is 
able to digest fiberglass, releasing toxic volatile compounds.  When your 
HVAC ducts are made of fiberglass, voila!

curt
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter E. Roddy)
Date: 4 May 1995 23:06:17 GMT

I have been asked to "find" information on Aspergillus.  The fungi is
probably in our heating and air conditioning ducts that are scheduled
for cleaning with a water solution.  While I have located a lot of back-
ground info, I have not been able to find specific recommendation for
employees that are to clean the ducts that contain this fungi and perhaps
others as well.

Can anyone offer some specifics (i.e., full face respirator with HEPA
filters, gloves, tyvek suits, etc.?)  If you know of an article I should
read I would very much appreciate that information also.

My primary concern is to provide employees that best possible protection
while they accomplish this task.

Peter Roddy, Manager

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven Carpenter)
Date: 6 May 1995 14:21:21 GMT

You had best use face respirators and bag up anything your remove.  It
is likely that species of Aspergillus (the most dangerous being A.
fumigatus) can survive in any HVAC ductwork that has had humidification
in it.  If someone were to run into a "pocket" of spores and inhales
them, they could potentially get an infection.

Tyvek coats would be useless.  A change of clothing and a shower would
do just as well.  The spores will not grow on someone UNLESS they have
an open would AND have an immune-deficiency problem: if you have an
employee with HIV or who has been ill from a major disease, they
shouldn't go in.  In addition to respirators, they should also wear
earplugs, as A. fumigatus can also infect the ear.

-Steve Carpenter
 Cascade Research Associates
  & Abbey Lane Laboratory
 [email-masked]

Peter E. Roddy ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have been asked to "find" information on Aspergillus.  The fungi is
: probably in our heating and air conditioning ducts that are scheduled
: for cleaning with a water solution.  While I have located a lot of back-
: ground info, I have not been able to find specific recommendation for
: employees that are to clean the ducts that contain this fungi and perhaps
: others as well.

: Can anyone offer some specifics (i.e., full face respirator with HEPA
: filters, gloves, tyvek suits, etc.?)  If you know of an article I should
: read I would very much appreciate that information also.

: My primary concern is to provide employees that best possible protection
: while they accomplish this task.

: Thank you for any assistance.

: Peter Roddy, Manager
: Environmental Health and Safety
: California State University, Sacramento
: Internet:  [email-masked]

---

From: Chuck Staben <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 May 1995 01:50:59 GMT

[email-masked] (Peter E. Roddy) wrote:
>I don't have specifics, but it is true that spores of this fungus
as well as others (like Coccidiodies) that may pose a health hazard.
I know this may sound a bit high-tech and ridiculous, but the
closest bone marrow transplant unit in a hospital probably has
physical plant people with considerable experience with fungal spores.
Since you are in Sacramento, I would try UC-Davis Med Center.

I thought that it might be worth noting that clean-up campaigns,
like removing bird dung from church steeples without using respirators
have led to mini-Histoplasmosis outbreaks among the devout in 
Kentucky, according to our local medical mycologist.