Subject: Recent Advances in Fermentation Technology - Call for Conference Participation - Please Post.

From: [email-masked] (Justin Neway)
Date: 10 Dec 1996 08:47:02 -0800

Recent Advances in Fermentation Technology - Call for Conference
Participation - Please Post.

The second, biannual special conference on "Recent Advances in Fermentation
Technology" (RAFT II) will be held in San Diego, USA, November 14 - 18,
1997.  RAFT II is again co-sponsored by the Society for Industrial
Microbiology (SIM) and the BIOT section of the American Chemical Society
(ACS).  Participation is limited to 300 attendees and the agenda will be
focused in three areas:

The conference advisory committee members are Dr. Arnold Demain
(Massachusetts Institute of Technology), Dr. Karl Sanford (Genencor
International), Dr. Michael Flickinger (University of Minnesota), Dr.
Anthony Sinskey (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and Dr. Barry
Buckland (Merck).

The Plenary lecture will be given by Dr. Frederick C. Neidhardt (University
of Michigan).
The Banquet presentation will be given by Steve C. Mendell (President &
CEO, Prizm Pharmaceuticals).

1) Fermentation & Cell Culture Engineering: including medium development &
optimization, process control and optimization, equipment and
instrumentation design.

2) Strain Design & Improvement: including metabolic engineering, yield
improvement and by-product reduction.

3) Fermentation Aspects of New Product Development: including natural
products, fungal fermentations, microgravity fermentations, secondary
metabolites, flavors, fragrances, fuels and chemicals.

We are also planning a roundtable discussion on "Fermentation Process
Consistency Requirements and Performance for Biologics" which will include
participants from Industry, Government and Academia.

If you are interested in contributing a talk or poster, participating in
the roundtable discussion, getting on the mailing list, reserving space for
a table-top exhibit and/or contributing as a sponsor, please contact one of
the program co-chairs listed below, as soon as possible (e-mail preferred).

James C. Liao, Ph.D. Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843-3122
Tel: (409) 845-9807.  Fax: (409) 845-6446
e-mail: [email-masked]

Justin O. Neway, Ph.D., Director, Fermentation R&D
Somatogen, Inc., 2545 Central Ave., Boulder, CO 80301
Tel: (303) 541-3431.  Fax: (303) 440-4230
e-mail: [email-masked]

Additional information and future updates will be found at the SIM web site
<http://www.simhq.org> (press the button for meetings) and at the BIOT web
site <http://calvin.biotech.wisc.edu/ACS_BIOT/index.html>

****************************************************************************
********
Justin O. Neway, Ph.D., Director, Fermentation R&D
Somatogen, Inc., 2545 Central Ave., Boulder, CO 80301, USA
Tel: (303) 541-3431, Fax (303) 440-4230, E-Mail: [email-masked]
Attachments OK: MIME, BINHEX, UU