Subject: NO SUBJECT

From: [email-masked]
Date: 31 Mar 1995 10:15:22 -0800

(...junk deleted)

>Subject: help,plant pathology
>Date: 31 Mar 1995 09:01:19 -0800

>I would like to get information on nectria cinnabarina infection of
>trees, specifically:
>º-is there any treatment available to save infected trees?
>º-does the fungus attack healthy trees or only trees which have
>ºbeen weakened by other factors?
>º-what is the best method to prevent spread of the fungus to other
>ºtrees
>Thanks in advance, Stacy Charlton  [email-masked]

Stacy,

Nectria cinnabarina is a common saprophyte that turns pathogenic against
stressed plants, whether by low temperatures, water stresses, or defoliation,
to name a few.  It is fairly ubiquitous and has a large number of plants that
are reported to be hosts.

To my knowledge, there are no curative potions, although research in the late
70s showed a cessation of canker enlargement when environmental conditions
favored the host and not the fungus.  But here's the rub; if the stresses
return, the fungus can continue to wreak havoc.  Thus, another reason that
Nectria is labelled "opportunistic."

Your prescription for tree health is to minimize any adverse impacts on the
trees; no mechanical damage (mowers & string trimmers), adequate water,
fertilize ever 2 years ACCORDING TO A SOIL ANALYSIS, and appropriate
uses of mulch (if this is in a landscape setting).

BTW, I don't appreciate Nectria as a serious pathogen; a morbid not mortal
enemy.  Also, have you had this organism positively identified?Just
curious.  That's my $0.02 worth; hope it helps

Mike
==============================================================
T. Michael Likins      [email-masked]
State Plant Pathologist      VA Dept. of Agriculture
804/786-3515 (voice)             P. O. Box 1163
804/371-7790 (fax)             Richmond, VA 23209