Subject: Re: Mushroom Images

From: [email-masked] (Tom Volk)
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 14:10:48 GMT

Hi Mike. You wrote:

>In the past I have noticed several inquiries into where to find images
>of mushrooms - all without any apparent responses.
>Today I came across a Web page from the University of Wisconsin 
>that is loaded with images of many species.
>This web page is:  gopher://gopher.adp.wisc.edu:2070/11/.image/.bot/Fungi_332

>Incidently, I found this referenced in "Michael's mushroom page":
>http://www.igc.apc.org/igc/www.myco.html,
>which was referenced in the "Mycelium" web page:
>http://www.wideopen.igc.apc.org/mushroom/welco.html 

The University of Wisconsin Web page you found is mine.  It needs to be very 
much reorganized and redone.  I will be spending about a month this summer 
doing this.  There are about 800 images of fungi there, all from my own 
personal slide collection. (well mostly anyway-- a few of other people's 
images have gotten in there by mistake!).  The pictuers represent fungi from 
all taxonomic groups, although the basidiomycetes are currently over-
represented.  
The files are currently stored as .GIF files, but they will 
be redone as higher-quality JPEG images. If there is interest I would 
consider a CD-ROM.  Mike Clayton at the UW Botany Department was a valuable 
aid for getting this all set up.

It might interest someone to know that I 
used these images to teach the Mycology Course at the UW this past fall to 
lecture directly with the computer, projecting the images through an LCD 
panel onto the movie-type screen in front of the room.  This system is 
extremely versatile and worked very well.  I was even able to use a 
WordPerfect document as my "blackboard" on the computer.
This had the added advantage that the student were able to access the 
lectures and view the images on a student computer at their leisure, rather 
than just viewing an image for 20 seconds during class.
For me the added advantage was that I didn't have to search for slides and 
more importantly didn't have to put them away. I could also emphasize 
features of the fungus on the screen by zooming in on a  particular part of 
the image (gill attachment, etc.)  I believe that the ways I used the 
computer for class have only scratched the surface of what will be possible 
in the future.

---Tom Volk, Center for Forest Mycology Research & UW Dept. of Botany, 
Madison Wisonsin.   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Hoffelder)
Date: 5 May 1995 05:33:00 -0700

Hi,

---

From: [email-masked] (CAVETOCAVE)
Date: 7 May 1995 16:03:57 -0400

I have a portfolio of various mushrooms.
Kodachromes.

---

From: [email-masked] (_doc_)
Date: 10 May 1995 17:23:33 -1000

In article <[email-masked]>,
>I have a portfolio of various mushrooms.

Can you put them on the net?