Subject: Fungus ? in deep sediment

From: [email-masked] ("K N and P J Harris")
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 07:33:23 GMT

Student brought in a sample of calcareous sediment from the Barcelona 
area in Spain.
Question ? What are the little black spots ?
Low power stereo (x40) revealed many more or less spherical black 
structures, half submerged in the soft rock base. About 200 to 300 
microns in diameter, some with a small pore at the top.
Poking with a scalpel showed many of them to be fragile with the 
consistency of soft charcoal and hollow. One more resilient specimen 
showed evidence of a hard gelatinous content.
Eventually a few were observed to have small gelatinous, ochre coloured 
finger like projections, often curled, poking out of the top of the 
structure. Still only about 200 to 400 microns long. We managed to 
photograph a couple of the specimens.
As a humble soil microbiologist, used to Penicillium, Aspergillus and 
Trichoderma with the odd Mucor thrown in for fun, I have never seen 
their like before. I suspect some type of ascomycete on size grounds but 
would welcome ANY suggestions.
Peter Harris, Soil Science, University of Reading, UK.
AKA <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Febbroriello)
Date: 20 Jul 1995 05:10:34 GMT

Have found similar organisms on the walls of Howe Caverns in  New York State
 Cultures yield a rapid growing white mycelium that does not fruit.
--pf

---

From: [email-masked] ("K N and P J Harris")
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 20:42:41 GMT

Thanks for info. Are the caves calcareous rock ? Limestone ?
Do you have any pictures of them that we might swap ?
Peter Harris, Soil Sci Dept. Reading Univ. UK.
AKA <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Febbroriello)
Date: 22 Jul 1995 17:54:51 GMT

The fungi were found growing on the upper portion of a passage known
as the "winding way". The rock is Manlius limestone (silurian).
It might be possible to make some photos, but not soon.--pf

---

From: [email-masked] ("K N and P J Harris")
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 07:56:41 GMT

To [email-masked]
Only got first line of last message. Greetngs, thanks and send again ?