Subject: Re: mushroom books?

From: [email-masked] (Nathan Wilson)
Date: 18 Apr 1996 12:24:19 -0700

>> Can anyone tell me if there are any books out there - NOT field guides -
>> that either tell anecdotal tales about collecting mushrooms, or perhaps
>> fictional works that include a mycological angle? Thanks!
>
>One of Richard Brautigan's novels, "Another Roadside Attraction", had a fungal
>flair.

The author of "Another Roadsite Attraction" was Tom Robbins.  Is this a
psudonym?

In any case as an interesting tidbit, Tom Robbins was a friend of Margaret
McKenny (original author of "The Savory Wild Mushroom") who in turn was a
friend of my grandmother.  Apparently Tom Robbin's (as well as my
grandmother's) interesting in fungi was largely inspired by Margaret.

   -------------------------    _________
         Nathan Wilson         <_________>
         [email-masked]            _|_|_       It is no dream!
                                  \___/    Matsutake are growing
       Minister Emeritus           | |        On the belly of the mountain.
Fungus Federation of Santa Cruz    \_/ *83--                -Shigetaka

---

From: paul cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 20:04:52 GMT

Have you tried "The advance of the Fungi" by E C Large. It was published 
as one of the New Naturalist series and may be out of print but it is an 
excellent general read on Fungi. The section on the Irish Potato Famine 
is particularly interesting.

---

From: paul cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 20:03:15 GMT

---

From: paul cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 20:04:39 GMT