Subject: post doctoral position

From: Geoffrey Wasteneys <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Sep 1996 10:00:13 GMT

A postdoctoral position is available to work with Dr David Jones on a 
study to define the nature and function of the genes required for 
specific recognition of plant pathogens, and the genes required for 
transduction of the signals leading to plant defence activation following 
recognition.  The research will focus on the mode of action of the tomato 
Cf-9 protein, which confers resistance to the leaf mould fungus, 
Cladosporium fulvum and a leucine-rich repeat extensin (Jones et al., 
1994, Science 266:789-793).   The appointee will use an interactive 
cloning strategy to isolate tomato proteins that interact with these two 
proteins.   The research will involve heterologous protein expression, 
construction and screening of cDNA expression libraries and protein 
chemistry.  Experience in molecular biology and protein chemistry 
techniques is required and experience in signal transduction mechanisms 
is desirable.  Location of appointment:  Research School of Biological 
Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.  Salary:  
AUS$ 38,587-41,121p.a.; travel and removal grants apply.  Canberra is the 
nation's capital and a centre of research strength in plant sciences; it 
is situated two hours from the coast and from ski resorts.  Please send 
CV, brief statement of research experience and the names of three 
referees, incuding addresses, phone/fax numbers and email addresses to: 
[email-masked]; Phone: 61 6 249 4138;  Fax: 61 6 249 
0758; Address: School Secretary, Research School of Biological Sciences, 
GPO Box 475, Canberra  ACT 2601, Australia.