Subject: Does Basidomycete can synthetize tryptophan

From: [email-masked] (Eric Bergeron)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:37:47 -0500

Does Basidomycete generally synthetize tryptophan and other amino acids 
that humans don't ? 

Thanks for you answer !

---

From: [email-masked] (Keith Klein)
Date: 6 Dec 1996 16:45:55 GMT

>Does Basidomycete generally synthetize tryptophan and other amino acids 

As far as I know, most basidiomycetes are prototrophic for all the amino acids.
In general (and there must be exceptions) all they seem to require other
than salts, glucose and a nitrogen source is thiamine. 
Hope that helps.
Keith Klein

---

From: [email-masked] (Karol Szafranski)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 96 07:02:44 GMT

>>Does Basidomycete generally synthetize tryptophan and other amino acids 

Many Basidiomycetes synthesize tryptamine derivatives, i.e. serotonin or 
psilocin. They even do so in cultures free of amino acids, with N supplied 
only in mineral form or as thiamin.

Some literature:

     Agurell, S., J.L.G. Nilsson. A biosynthetic sequence from
     tryptophan to psilocybin. Tetrahedron Letters 9, 1063-1064
     (1968).