Subject: Courses in mycology

From: [email-masked] ("Janet Pryse ", Training Officer)
Date: 17 Mar 1995 08:30:05 -0800

INTERNATIONAL MYCOLOGICAL INSTITUTE
The International Mycological Institute (IMI) is the world's largest centre 
for systematic, applied and environmental mycology.  Operating from its new 
purpose-built campus at Egham on the south-west edge of London, IMI 
organises a wide range of courses in agricultural, industrial, environmental 
and systematic mycology and bacteriology covering identification, 
characterization, isolation and preservation techniques and methods.  Brief 
details of courses available in 1995 are given below.  For further details 
on any of these, please indicate the course(s) of interest and send your 
postal address to:

Miss Janet Pryse (Training Officer)
International Mycological Institute
Bakeham Lane
Egham, Surrey TW20 9TY  UK
Tel +44 (0) 1784 470111  
Fax +44 (0) 1784 470909  
Email [email-masked]

Diagnostic Techniques in Plant Pathology
12 - 23 June 1995
An intensive course with a high practical content, providing a full 
introduction to the theory and practice of the broad range of techniques 
used in investigative plant pathology.  The course is intended for 
practising field plant pathologists, quarantine officers, plant clinic 
officers etc., who wish to widen and enhance their skills in the diagnosis 
of diseases caused by plant pathogenic fungi, bacteria, viruses and 
nematodes.  The course aims to provide a thorough coverage of the elements 
of the diagnostic process, including symptom recognition, examination of 
diseased material, isolation, culture and preliminary identification of 
possible causal agents and confirmation of their disease-causing ability.
Course Fee ?950

Modern Techniques in the Identification of Bacteria and Filamentous Fungi
26 June - 7 July 1995
This two week course is designed to give microbiologists/plant pathologists 
training in modern techniques currently of use in microbial taxonomy.  The 
course will include lectures and practical work, with emphasis on gaining 
"hands on" experience of the techniques themselves.  Both molecular 
biological and chemotaxonomic procedures will be used to study filamentous 
fungi and bacteria of agricultural significance. Topics to be covered 
include:
 - RFLP analyses
 - PCR detection and characterisation methods (including RAPD's)
 - Detection and identification techniques using serological methods
 - Characterisation of microorganisms by polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis
 - Analysis of whole-cell proteins
 - Analysis of extra- and intracellular isozyme patterns for identification
 - Identification of bacteria by quantitative fatty acid analysis
 - Analysis of isoprenoid quinones                     
 - Diagnostic uses of secondary metabolites (eg phytotoxins, mycotoxins) by 
TLC, HPLC
Course Fee ?1000

International Course on the Identification of Fungi of Agricultural 
Importance
7 August - 15 September 1995
A long established six week course giving plant pathologists training in the 
classification and identification of agriculturally important groups of 
microfungi.  The course will be of particular relevance to those working in 
the tropics.  The training includes lectures and informal discussions, but 
most of the time will be spent in practical work.  A number of 'option' days 
throughout the course enable participants to receive individual training and 
to specialize in certain aspects of the Institute's work.
Course Fee ?2600 to include self catering accommodation.  This course is 
held each year.

Basic Mycological Techniques  
23 & 24 October 1995
A short introductory course aimed at microbiology technicians or others 
needing help with traditional mycological techniques. It will be suitable 
for those working in plant pathology, industry, food or environmental 
mycology.  It will be particularly useful for new technical staff or those 
unused to working with fungi.  Isolation from plant material, soil and 
manufactured goods will be covered.  Topics will include the preparation of 
a variety of material for microscopic examination, culturing and aseptic 
techniques, methods of inducing sporulation and the use and preparation of 
standard and specialised media.  The course will consist of lectures and 
demonstrations but most time will be spent in experience building practical 
sessions.  There will be ample opportunity for discussion of any particular 
mycological problems which participants may have encountered.
Course fee ?275 - For participants also registered for our Culture 
Preservation Techniques course, 25-27 October, a combined discounted fee of 
?545 will apply.

Culture Preservation Techniques
25-27 October 1995
A popular course aimed at microbiology technicians, laboratory managers or 
others needing to maintain and preserve fungal isolates.  It will be 
suitable for those working in plant pathology, industry, food or 
environmental mycology.  Methods examined for the long term preservation of 
living fungi will include simple methods, freeze-drying and 
cryopreservation.  The selection of appropriate methods for different groups 
of fungi and the organisation and management of collections will be 
discussed.  The importance of appropriate preservation methods in the 
retention of fungal activities and properties will be demonstrated.  There 
will be opportunities to see and work in the Genetic Resources Collection, 
which with over 17 500 strains of filamentous fungi, over 1000 strains of 
bacteria and 250 yeasts, is one of the largest service collections in the 
world.
The course will consist of lectures and demonstrations but most time will be 
spent in experience building practical sessions.
Course fee ?370 (includes manual and the reference book by Smith & Onions, 
(1994).  The Preservation and Maintenance of Living Fungi 2nd edition.  For 
participants also registered for our Basic Mycological Techniques course, 23 
& 24 October, a combined discounted fee of ?545 will apply.

Msc in Pure & Applied Plant and Fungal Taxonomy
A joint course between the University of Reading and IMI.  The course 
normally lasts for 1 year but may be taken part-time over 2 or 3 years. 
 After a common first term during which the principles of biological 
classification are stressed, students may choose to specialize on either 
green plants or fungi during the second term.  An individual research 
project is undertaken from May to August.

MSc in Biotechnology (Specializing in Fungal Technology)
The course is taught jointly by the Biological Laboratory, University of 
Kent and IMI.  The programme consists of lectures, tutorials, 
problem-solving sessions, field and laboratory work, and visits to 
industrial research laboratories.   The course provides a basic training in 
both theoretical and practical aspects of fungal systematics, molecular 
genetics and fermentation technology of the fungi.   It also covers a 
variety of current topics in applied mycology, the combination of which may 
change each year as different aspects develop or become less relevant 
commercially.   A research project forms an important part of the course and 
will be undertaken full-time at Kent or IMI.   In appropriate cases, 
candidates on secondment from industry may carry out project work in their 
own laboratories.

Other Courses planned for 1996
Spoilage Yeasts course
Identification of Colletotrichum species workshop
Mycotoxins significance, occurrence and detection