Subject: Need source of bacterial filters producers

From: [email-masked] ("Dr. L. Darjania")
Date: 27 Jun 1996 12:34:33 -0700

Dear Netters

For edible mushroom cultivation we currently use different types of 
plastic bags, and to protect the substrate from microbial contamination 
we need the air filters.

Can you send me some information where could I find such filters?
Particularly, I need a roll of filter material to cut it according to our 
needs.

Thanks

Dr. L. Darjania
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Joe Harrington <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jun 1996 03:44:05 GMT

You didn't indicate what type of bags you are currently using and what
species of mushroom you are cultivating?

If you are growing on a sterilized substrate such as sawdust, something
that is effective down to 3 microns is suggested. There are several
distributors of gusseted poly bags with a 3 micron filter patch that 
meets this requirement. Another more economical alternative is an 
autoclavable growing bag with an open cell polystyrene foam filter which
is reusable and very adequate for excluding contaminants and permitting
gas exchange....

There is another forum that has a lot of active growers on it and the 
archives have a wealth of information for growers. Contact Ralph Arnold
the list owner at [email-masked] if you are interested in 
subscribing to the Fungus list... And I'm sure there are several 
subscribers on this forum that can provide you with filtered growing bags 
or direct you to a source of them. Good luck.

Joe

Portland, Maine

---

From: steven o'cathmhogha <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 00:23:23 +1000

Dr. L. Darjania wrote:
> e-mail: [email-masked]'t know if this will be of any use however I am currently 
experimenting with the use of 160T screenprinting mesh- .025 mesh size.
As I haven't been able to source data on standardf mesh size for air 
patch filter I couldn't advise on suitability. Perhaps you could reply 
with that data if pos. As for taking temp extremes, it seems to stand up 
to 15 psi with corresponding temp for sterilizing. A shot in the dark, 
but I hope it's of some use.