Subject: The last matsutake

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Dec 1996 00:23:18 GMT

Previously this year I found a matsutake under a tree on 155th st.
In Seattle.  I went by there today, parked my car 6 feet away, got out and
picked one more.  This is actually the only suburban site where I have
ever found them, and Dec. 8th is certainly the latest in the season I have
ever found a matsutake.

Unless someone else has found one in washington state at a later date, I
believe I have the prize for the last matsutake, and a fine one it is to! 

Hooray for me!
...and hooray for the last matsutake!
Happy hannukah to all!

Jim Berlstein, BFD

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Dec 1996 23:13:22 GMT

If you care to cultivate some, I'll be happy to send you sample free
autoclavable/microvented bags and ophotos of mushrooms grown in our bags !
You will then enjoy your fruitings well unto the winter !
Lou Hsu
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Dec 1996 05:36:46 GMT

In regards to:
  "If you care to cultivate some, I'll be happy to send you sample free
autoclavable/microvented bags and ophotos of mushrooms grown in our bags !
 You will then enjoy your fruitings well unto the winter !"

    Some mushrooms are mycorhizal, such as chanterrelles and matsutakes. 
They must grow symbioticly with root systems of certain trees.  Thay
cannot be grown in bags.  Some mushrooms are not.  These would include
hericium and oysters and shitakes. They can be grown in bags, or at least
on logs.

So, happy cultivating-
but when it comes to matsutakes-
to everything there is a season.

Jim Berlstein, BFD

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Spear)
Date: 11 Dec 96 01:23:54 -0800

I always thought matsutake was mycorrhizal.  Your post is unclear. 
Are you saying that it's not?

    ---- Mark

---

From: [email-masked] (Berlstein)
Date: 12 Dec 1996 00:37:02 GMT

In regards to:

"I always thought matsutake was mycorrhizal.  Your post is unclear. 
Are you saying that it's not?"

I don't know who this was posted to, but here goes:

1) I found the last matsutake of the season in Seattle.  Ha ha on all of
you who are not me!

2) Someone put up a post suggesting that I buy micropore bags from him, so
I could grow them at home.

3) I responed that one can't grow matsutakes in a bag, because they are
mycorhizal.  To the best of my knowledge they are.

4) I cooked it.  My wife and I ate it.  It was good.
(quater inch slices, dip both sides in olive oil, 5 minutes on a rack
under the broiler for each side, a little soy sauce, down the hatch)

"Those who have nothing to say usually say it about spelling."
-Jim Berlstein, BFD

---

From: Lou Hsu <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 1996 02:03:45 GMT

Mark,
Our bags have been used in cultivating mycorhizal mushrooms. I understand 
that after the mycelium have been established, the bags are cut and 
planted near the roots of the tree roots. This accerate the whole 
cultivating process.Tremella is done similarly.
Lou Hsu

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Dec 1996 06:57:30 GMT

>mycorhizal.  To the best of my knowledge they are.

I would be interested in an actual reference establishing that matsutakes
(A. ponderosa) NOT (A. caligata) are mycorhizal.  Is this substantiated
anywhere?

Otto
[email-masked]