Subject: bread mold

From: [email-masked] (Mendocino Middle School Lab)
Date: 14 Mar 1996 19:45:44 GMT

RFI
To whom it may concern: 

            My name is Jacquelyn. I am an eighth grade student at
Mendocino Middle School. Mendocino is a very small town on the coast,
about 150 miles north of San Francisco.
            The eighth grade students here  are working on a project about
any topic we choose. The topic I chose was mold. I chose this topic
because it is something that I know little about and it interests me. My
investigative question for this project is, what is mold, and what are the
different types of mold?
            Although we are using library resources here at M.M.S., we are
still lacking information. We are very limited in books and references on
our subjects, and don¹t have contemporary encyclopedias to research with.
Not only do we have little information in our school library, but we have
no large college library nearby. More information would be greatly
appreciated. 
   The main area of mold that I¹m trying to research is exactly what is
mold, and what the several different kinds are. I have been able to do
some research, and here are some of the things I already know. 
            
            * Mold is a type  of fungus that often grows on food. 
            * Like mildews, mushrooms, and other types of fungi, molds
have no chlorophyll. 
            * Molds must live off of foods created by plants or animals,
or on decaying matter. 
            * Some molds even live as parasites on animals, plants, and
other fungi. 

            Some specific research questions I have about my project are:
How many different types of mold are there?
What are the different types of mold, and what makes them different from
each other?
How does mold live, grow, and reproduce?
Does it have any specific life cycle? (If so, what is it?)

            M.M.S. has full internet access, so if you know of any good
web sites or other locations where more information can be found, it would
be greatly appreciated. 
  
            please write back at: [email-masked]

            Also, we here at M.M.S. are putting together a list of
previously written letters, and we would be happy to add your
correspondence to the list if we have your approval. Please let us know if
you would like to include your name and / or return 
e-mail address with the letters so that other students who are interested
in the topic in the future might get in touch you or at least know who
wrote the letter. 

            If you are at all interested in seeing previously written
letters, they are at the 
Electronic Dialogue Achive (EDA) being compiled at: http://www.mcn.org/ed/earch

Thank You! 
Jacquelyn

-- 
This message sent from the Mendocino Middle School Lab
Please write [email-masked] if 
it appears there has been misuse of this service