Subject: Cultivating Corn Smut (Ustilago maydis)??

From: "Ralph D. Arnold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 95 16:38:40 PST

Any experience cultivating Corn Smut (Ustilago maydis) ? 
Know of anyone having done this?  I would like to correspond with
individuals about this species.  Thanks!  Ralph Arnold

B.T.W., I can send an article entitled "Yield and Quality of Huitlacoche on 
Sweet Corn Inoculated with Ustilago maydis" from the Aug-93 issue of 
HortScience magazine. Send me $3.00 to cover costs of postage/photocopying 
to: Ralph Arnold, PO Box 889, Oregon City, OR  97045

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 16:26:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, "Ralph D. Arnold" 
>to: Ralph Arnold, PO Box 889, Oregon City, OR  97045

Ralph,

Check out:  Pope, D. D. and S. M. McCarter. 1992. Evaluation of inoculation
methods for inducing common smut on corn ears.  Phytopathology 82(9):950-955.
The work was done at the U. of Ga. (Athens).  It should cover a lot of the
bases for you.  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]