Subject: invasive aspergillosis

From: [email-masked] ("Garrison McCully")
Date: 18 Jul 1996 13:31:24 -0700

I am looking for info on invasive aspergillosis- treatment, prognosis, 
complications, recovery. In 1993 my family moved into an old, rotting wood 
frame farm house. We were sick within 3 weeks and have suffered  extreme 
flu-like symptoms to present. We have nausea, diarrhea, copious mucous 
drainage, coughing, discrete brown masses in sputum, blood in sputum, 
headache, fatigue, joint pain, low grade fever, swollen lymph nodes; occuring 
in a progression that repeats itself over and over. Two infectious disease 
specialists in Dallas told us we could not have the invasive form and that we 
must just be allergic. Yet IgE levels on two of the adults were normal or 
below normal. They both refused to test us (ie. lung biopsy as definitive 
test) when we told them what we thought it might be. Sputum cultures grown for 
30 days on collagen media yeilded aspergilla on two individuals, my ten year 
old daughter and myself. Sporanox 200mg bid relieves symptoms after 2 to 3 
weeks. Symptoms return within 2-4 weeks when Sporanox is discontinued (after 5 
weeks of treatment) then abate again 2-3 weeks after Sporanox is resumed. 
Any information is much appreciated.
Janet McCully, MA Pharmacology

---

From: [email-masked] ("Garrison McCully")
Date: 23 Jul 1996 13:02:39 -0700

----------
Sent: 	Thursday, July 18, 1996 1:31 AM
To: 	[email-masked]'
Subject: 	invasive aspergillosis

This is an updated posting of my original request for information of July 18.
 I am looking for info on aspergillosis- treatment, prognosis, complications, 
recovery. In 1993 my family moved into an old, rotting wood frame farm house. 
We were sick within 3 weeks and have suffered  extreme flu-like symptoms to 
present.We moved out and into a mold free house 15 months later. Symptoms 
include nausea, diarrhea, copious mucous drainage, coughing,at times there are 
discrete brown masses and /or blood in sputum, headache, fatigue, joint pain, 
low grade fever, swollen lymph nodes; occuring in a progression that repeats 
itself over and over. Two infectious disease specialists told us we could not 
have the invasive form and that we were allergic. Yet IgE levels on two of the 
adults were normal or below normal. They both refused to test us (ie. lung 
biopsy as definitive test) when we told them what we thought it might be.But 
also did not refer us to an allergist even when we asked. Sputum cultures 
grown for 30 days on collagen media yeilded aspergilla on two individuals, my 
ten year old daughter and myself. Sporanox 200mg bid relieves symptoms after 2 
to 3 weeks. Symptoms return within 2-4 weeks when Sporanox is discontinued 
(after 5 weeks of treatment) then abate again 2-3 weeks after Sporanox is 
resumed. 
Any information is much appreciated.
Janet McCully, MA Pharmacology