Subject: Geissler chambers?

From: [email-masked] (Kathie T. Hodge)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:01:41 -0400

In 1888 Zopf used things called Geissler chambers in microscopic
examination of living fungi and their nematode hosts.  Can anyone describe
one for me?  Or point me to a review of the various methods and gadgets
used to watch microfungi grow?

Thanks,
Kathie T. Hodge
Maintainer, WWW Virtual Library: Mycology
<http://www.keil.ukans.edu/~fungi/> 
Note the new URL!

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Spear)
Date: 24 Jul 96 20:02:22 -0700

This is also of interest for me.  I would like to be able to measure 
the ammont and speed of mycleial growth in time periods of one day or 
less.  Anybody know of a small chamber/microscope/digitizer system 
that could accomplish this?

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Robb Siegel)
Date: 24 Jul 1996 16:03:36 -0700

> that could accomplish this?
J.W. Deacon has described a system that would do what you want.  It 
basically involves coating coverslips with agar film, inoculating them, 
then inverting them onto a glass o-ring on top of a double-width 
microscope slide; everything was held together with vaseline.  Hyphal 
growth was videotaped.

I was able to use rubber o-rings from syringe-filter assemblies in 
place of the glass o-rings, and get them onto normal-width microscope 
slides.  Then I just took photos and recorded the time at which I took them.
Photo distances were calibrated by taking a photo of a hemacytometer grid.

E.R.Siegel