Subject: text for 4thyr uni. mycology/phycology course?

From: [email-masked] (Louise Wootton)
Date: 29 Sep 1995 03:53:22 GMT

Hi, 
I am slated to teach the mycology section of a 4th year biology class 
next semester.  The course will have 3 sub-units.. one on phycology, one 
on mycology and one on bryophytes.  It has been many eons since I took 
mycology.  At that time we used a botany text that was dryer than good 
wine.  I would very much like to find something reasonably well written 
and illustrated, but not to "froo-froo"... this is, after all a 400 level 
course.  Of course, ideally the text would also have sections on 
bryophytes and algae, as students cannot reasonably be asked to shell out 
for 3 texts for one class.  Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
Also, any good mycology references for me to bone up on my knowledge?
THanks,
Louise
*****************************************************************************
* Louise Wootton  [email-masked]  Grad. Student,  Marine Science *
* Check out my new web page!!!  http://starburst.umd.edu/louise/louise.html *
*****************************************************************************
*  If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough questions  *
*  And that's a big mistake.  F. Wilczek                                    *
*****************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Christian Velten)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 10:03:33 GMT

Hi Loise,

for unknown reason there actually is no mycological textbook that for my
opinion is really good. One is pretty good to read and has the main basic
informations but unfortunately misses the actual molecular advances in
mycology:

Michael J. Carlile & Sarah C. Watkinson
The Fungi
Academic Press, London, San Diego, 1994

It should be the right thing for students.

Christian

-- 
        "Two bands or not two bands? - THAT is the question!"

Christian Velten
Institute for Molecular Biology                [email-masked]
Medical School Hannover                        Compuserve:100736,2071
OE 5250, Konstanty-Gutschow-Straße 8           Tel.: 0511/532-5957
D-30623 Hannover, Germany                      Fax:  0511/532-4283