Subject: Hypsizygus

From: [email-masked]
Date: 31 Oct 1995 16:49:02 -0800

I am trying to find some information on the pathogenicity of 
     Hypsizygus ulmarius and H.tessulatus. The only source I have so 
     far is from Singer who says:
     
     Hypsizygus ulmarius (Bull.: Fr.) Redhead is described as as 
     "parasitc on frondose trees" (Singer 1986, p.225).
     
     Hypsizygus tessulatus (Bull: Fr.) Singer sensu Singer is 
     described as causing "wood rot on previously undiseased elms and 
     contributing to the death of older trees" and that it "is 
     parasitic mainly on Acer negundo and some species of Ulmus" 
     (Singer 1986, p. 225).
     
     Any further info would be greatly appreciated
     
     -----------------------------------------------------------------
     Dr Geoff Ridley                                   
     
     New Zealand Forest Research Institute        
     Private Bag 3020                                  
     Rotorua, New Zealand
     
     e-mail: [email-masked]
     Phone:  +64 7 347 5899
     Fax:    +64 7 374 5333

---

From: Peter Oei & Shan Du <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Nov 1995 21:37:25 GMT

A book from Paul Stamets, 1993 (Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms) 
lists both Hypsizygus ulmarius and H. tessulatus as saprophytes.

It can also be a facultative parasite on dying hardwoods or a true 
saprophyte on dead trees. 

I feel we humans try to label organisms, but the organisms sometimes fit 
inbetween different labels, depending on the situation.

Peter Oei