Subject: Identify this mushroom for me please!!!

From: [email-masked] (Todd A. Guillory)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 12:50:11 -0600

Hi, I took a photograph of a pretty common mushroom that grows in cow
trails in east Texas.  I'd apprecaite knowing the species name if anyone
can tell me.  A picture can be seen at:

http://www.io.com/~tag/photo/album1.html

Thanks!

-- 
**************************************************************************
*Todd A. Guillory                       *                                *
*Dept. of Pediatrics Hematology/Oncology*(409)772-6777                   *
*The University of Texas Medical Branch [email-masked]          *
*301 University Blvd.                   *http://www.io.com/~tag/         *
*Galveston, Texas 77555-0361            *                                *
**************************************************************************

                      The Virtual Tour of Galveston Island
                          http://www.utmb.edu/galveston/

---

From: [email-masked] (George Riner)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:14:27 GMT

Lycoperdon perlatum, a kind of 'puffball'.

--------------------------
On Mon, 18 Mar 1996 12:50:11 -0600, [email-masked] (Todd A.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Nail)
Date: 19 Mar 1996 05:06:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,

> http://www.io.com/~tag/photo/album1.html
It's really hard to tell from the picture- what size is it?  It's some
kind of puffball (to be sure, cut through one- if it's solid white [off
white to yellowish on older specimens]).  It looks like Lycoperdon, but
those are usually found on decaying wood (which could be buried- I've
found it apparently growing on the ground from buried wood) and are rarely
solitary.  They are usually 1-2" dia.  Larger specimens are probably a
Calvatia or something closely related.  It's really hard to tell an actual
species from the picture.
     If you can take a mushroom into All Books on Richmond Ave. in
Houston, they should be able to ID it for you.  Susan is president of the
Texas Mycological Society, and her husband Van is also very knowledgeable.

---

From: Tryggvi Emilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 11:01:48 -0600

Is this a serious response,or deliberate flame-bait?????!!!!

The fungus on this picture could be Lycoperdon perlatum.It could also a
button of an Agaricus, or an Amanita . Agaricus and Amanitas grow on
the ground, L.Perlatum USUALLY does not.The consequences of a mistake
could be ugly,to say the least!

T.Emilsson
U.of Illinois/Chem.

---

From: Thomas O'Dell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 16:10:55 -0800

I suppose that it could be a puffball, impossible to say without a cut 
open specimen. I doubt that it is L. perlatum, but without the specimen 
who knows.

> Lycoperdon perlatum, a kind of 'puffball'.

[email-masked]
Mycology is better than Urology!