Subject: elium on spent beer br

From: [email-masked] (Randy Mshr)
Date: 16 May 1995 22:06:27 -0400

Greetings:

Anyone out ther had any experience growing any kinds of mushrooms or
mycelia on spent beer brewing grains. I had some blewits come up on the
place where i had spread mine out a while back.

We're talking about barley kernels in the husk, with most of the
carbohydrates stripped out of them. Plenty of cellulose, polyphenols left,
plus the acrospire (shoot). Cows love it, and it's nutritious for them. 

I'm planning a brewery/
brewpub, and it would be more than cool to serve mushroom dishes that had
been grown in our spent grain.

If this stuff is useful to commercial cultivators in any way, there is a
lot of it out there, just for the asking.

Thanks for any interest or assistance.

---

From: [email-masked] (mspear)
Date: 17 May 1995 12:44:52 -0400

> Thanks for any interest or assistance.

Try oysters (Pleurotus).  They grow on almost anything and do not take
a lot of skill or equipment as long as you are not trying to make a
living from oyster farming.  

Get one of the how-to books there are several good ones.  Remember to
wear a filter mask in your growing room.

    ---- Mark