Subject: cortinarius and amanitas from Spain

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 19:51:04 -0600

I write from Spain where I work as biologist. Here I have found a new 
place with the poisonous Cortinarius orellanus in the mountains called 
Gredos. Is the first time this mushroom had been gathered in the region 
called Ávila. I also have found new places in Spain with big crops of 
boletus edulis, Amanita caesarea, morchellas and other kind of very useful 
mushrooms.It would be very interesting for our forest and for the people 
who lives in our land if mushrooms will become a new ecological resource. 
May somebody help us, how this mushrooms must be comercializated (get into 
the market), Anybody knows e-mail, web or ordinary directions of european 
mushroom buyers ?
-------------------==== Posted via Deja News ====-----------------------
      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

---

From: [email-masked] (Regis.Courtecuisse)
Date: 12 Dec 1996 18:19:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>      http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Hi !

You are speaking about COMMERCIAL resource, not ecological one !!! By 
the way, it would quickly turn out to be an ANTI-ECOLOGICAL resource for 
the mushrooms, then for the forest, and finally to the PEOPLE THEMSELVES.
Are you looking for further ecological disasters ??!
Forests are enough under threat at the moment. Places where fungi are 
well-productive should be protected, not over-harvested. Let the fungi 
quietly play their ECOLOGICAL role. They are not made to be eaten -at 
least certainly not if treated as a commercial resource ! This idea is 
typically anthropocentric and decidedly short-sighted.
The first part of your message is by far more interesting. You should 
stick to this kind of scientifically significant contributions.

	Regards.

	Regis

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:51:06 -0600

> stick to this kind of scientifically significant contributions.

Here, in Spain we have some of the best examples of how the idea eco-development 
becomes reality. One of them is the ecological harvest of fungi products using 
common sense. What do you say about harvesting tuber melanosporum in quercus 
forest?. This fungi fruit is ecological-harvested, is a rich resource that the 
people of the productive zone preserve more than other natural sources. And 
protecting the fungi resource, the fungi and the forest are preserve too. You 
must see how people of litle villages DO REAL ECOLOGY. Furthermore to fungi 
harvest in this mature and big forest is the treasure and the secret of its 
variety and its conservation.We have also some of the best conservated forest of 
europe and,..is incredible but fungi, in these forest, are right-harvested, some 
CENTURIES AGO,during this centuries fungi not only preserve its ecological role 
in the forest but even spread its area.I am speaking for example about basque 
forest and Calocibe gambosa. So who is short-sighted?, of course i was speaking 
about a good ecological resource, but maybe my Englihs is not good enough!

   regards
   Enrique  :-)

---

From: [email-masked] (Geoff Steckel)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 22:10:27 GMT

>the market), Anybody knows e-mail, web or ordinary directions of european 

In some developing countries (sorry, no references, but check the New
Scientist magazine) managed collection of edible mushrooms has produced
as much money income for local residents as the cut wood has.
This provides an incentive for the locals to -not- cut the wood, preserving
the forest.

	good luck,
	geoff steckel