Subject: Fresh or Dried Lactarius Deliciosus, Anyone?

From: [email-masked] (Garry)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 95 07:51:54 GMT

Hi Guys

Can anyone supply URLs on Lactarius Deliciosus (Delicious Lactarid, Saffron 
Milk-Cap) please; especially concerning air-drying and other methods of 
preserving, and of course recipes.

Most people put them in the "poisonous" category; European friends say they 
are very expensive over there, someone mentioned US$60/kilo fresh.  That's 
almost as expensive as **durian**!!

They grow wild here in South-East Australia; and were mentioned in both A 
Field Guide to Fungi in South East Australia (Macdonald and Westerman, Nelson 
1979, ISBN  0 17 005290 7 [good color photo at page 94]) and The New Field 
Guide to Fungi (Soothill and Fairhurst, Michael Joseph London 1978, ISBN 0
7181 1629 8 [#228, page 158]).

They have just gone off-season (end of Autumn/Fall), and there will be a small 
season in early Spring (September).

Thanks

Garry

PS	Basic recipes are: fry quarter-inch (5mm) cubes in butter with an
	equal amount of chopped onions; half-inch cubes in lasagne; narrow
	strips in soup --- Deliciosus!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Philip Tung Yep)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 95 14:52:12 PST

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
...
>Can anyone supply URLs on Lactarius Deliciosus (Delicious Lactarid, Saffron 
...
>almost as expensive as **durian**!!

I'm not sure where in Europe they're talking about.  They appear occasionally in
London markets at about £4 - 6 per lb. (USD 12 - 18/kilo).  As they're reasonably
common in parts of Scotland, it would be difficult to charge more.

By the way, durian is a lot cheaper in Chinatown, too.

>        strips in soup --- Deliciosus!!

Superb with duck.

Philip

---

From: [email-masked] (Victor H. Hogsett)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 95 02:32:14 GMT

Hi,
This is my first posting ever; hope I get it right.  We call them 
orange milkies here in the mountains of New Mexico.  I've never seen 
them for sale, but I have gathered quite a few in the wilds.  My 
favorite recipe:  Roasted with shrimp scented-russulas over a smokey 
aspen wood fire and placed in a sandwich made with a local bread called 
tortillas.  Makes me long for our season, which arrives in about two 
months.
Regards, Vic