Subject: Boletus info requested

From: [email-masked] (Harlock999)
Date: 18 Feb 1995 20:08:32 -0500

I am trying to find any information regarding Boletus edulis.  This
includes possible innoculum sources, tips on culture, etc. etc. etc.

Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
[email-masked]

---

From: Len A. Poli <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Feb 1995 16:55:10 GMT

Subject: Boletus info requested
From: Harlock999, [email-masked]
Date: 18 Feb 1995 20:08:32 -0500
In article <[email-masked]> Harlock999,
>Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

You might try Mr. Paul Koski at Washington High School (Geary Blvd at 32
nd Ave.) in San Francisco CA, 94100. Paul is an officer in the San
Francisco Mycology Society and has participated in forays for Boletus.

---

From: [email-masked] (mspear)
Date: 21 Feb 1995 20:18:13 -0500

> Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

B. edulus is an ectomycorrhizal fungus.  To grow it you first need to
prepare a rather exotic medium then inoculate tree seedlings.  Next
you wait 3-6 years while your trees grow and if you are lucky and
skillful you can get mushrooms.

The only successful cultivated bolete patch I've ever seen is at INRA,
in Bordeaux, France.  Check the literature.

To my knowledge nobody has ever gotten commercial success with this
but there is always a first person.  Like as not the person that does
it will be someone who does not listen to the skeptics.

Good luck, let us know if it works.

     ---- Mark

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 19:08:54 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (mspear) 
>in Bordeaux, France.  Check the literature.

It is possible to produce basidiocarps of B. edulis in axenic culture.
Use a deep dish or big jar or flask with modified Hagem/Modess medium:

5 g    Glucose
5 g    Malt extract (Difco)
0.5 g  KH2PO4
0.5 g  MgSO4.7H2O
0.5 g  NH4Cl
0.5 ml Ferric citrate (1%)
15 g   Bacto-agar (Difco)
1 l    H2O, distilled

Q.v.:

McLaughlin, David J. 1970. Environmental control of frutibody development in
Boletus rubinellus in axenic culture. Mycologia 62:307-331.

You can also find some related citations in the latest MycoInfo.  -RSW

Good luck

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]