Subject: HELP! basidiomycete recognition systems

From: [email-masked] (Joe Sommer)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 04:58:09 GMT

Hello, I need some information on how mating type compatability, somatic 
compatability and intersterility function in basidiomycete fungi.  I 
would appreciate any advice about how these systems operate, does the 
current literature suggest that they are all independent of one another? 
how do they function in terms of genetic loci? must they be different or 
similar to produce a successful mating pair?

Also does somatic (vegetative) incompatability seem to be an artifactual 
phenomenon? or does it serve a true functional role in segregating members within a 
species to recognize only themselves in the natural environment?

Any advice concerning the above systems and how they interact with one 
another would be appreciated.  Also any opinions on the function of 
somatic compatability in the wild would also be appreciated.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 : ComputerLink Online Inc.            Realms of Despair!            :
 : (416)233-5410                       telnet mud.compulink.com 4000 :
 : 106 lines, 300-28,800 bps           endless medieval enjoyment!   :
 :                                                                   :
 : Join our International Teleconference --> chat.compulink.com 9000 :
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (David H. Griffin)
Date: 1 Mar 1995 15:04:32 GMT

>would appreciate any advice about how these systems operate, does the

Recent reviews:

Casselton, L. A. and U. Kues.  1994.  Mating-type genes in 
Homobasidiomycetes.  Pp. 307-321 In J. G. H. Wessels and F. Meinhardt 
(Eds.), Growth, differentiation and sexuality.  Springer-Verlag, Berlin.

Kamper, J., M. Bolker and R. Kahmann.  1994.  Mating-type genes in 
Heterobasidiomycetes.  Pp. 323-332 In J. G. H. Wessels and F. Meinhardt 
(Eds.), Growth, differentiation and sexuality.  Springer-Verlag, Berlin.

Esser, K. and R. Blaich.  1994.  Heterogenic incompatibility in fungi.  
Pp. 211-232 In J. G. H. Wessels and F. Meinhardt (Eds.), Growth, 
differentiation and sexuality.  Springer-Verlag, Berlin.

>similar to produce a successful mating pair?

These processes are genetically independent, but physiologically they 
interact. Somatic incompatibility in Hymenomycetes apparently functions 
only among dicaryons, and therefore has little impact on mating per se. 
This is different from Ascomycetes in one respect and similar in another, 
namely, somatic incompatibility in Asco's occurs between monocaryons, but 
does not effect mating between trichogyne and whatever antheridial 
structure is presented.

Intersterility phenomena clearly override the mating-type loci, entirely 
or partially depending on the fungus and what genotypes are involved.

>phenomenon? or does it serve a true functional role in segregating 
>members within a species to recognize only themselves in the natural 
>environment?

Rayner has discussed this in considerable detail. I doubt very much that 
this is artifactual.

Rayner, A. D. M., D. Coates, A. M. Ainsworth, T. J. H. Adams, E. N. D. 
Williams and N. K. Todd.  1984.  The biological consequences of the 
individualistic mycelium.  Pp. 509-540 In D. H. Jennings and A. D. M. 
Rayner (Eds.), The ecology and physiology of the fungal mycelium.  
Cambridge Univ Press, Cambridge.

Rayner, A. D. M.  1991.  The Phytopathological Significance of Mycelial 
Individualism.  Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 29: 305-323.

>somatic compatability in the wild would also be appreciated.

I hope that this is helpful.

David H. Griffin               
Department of Environmental &
    Forest Biology
350 Illick Hall
College of Environmental         
    Science and Forestry        
One Forestry Drive
Syracuse NY 13210-2788         
e-mail: [email-masked]