Subject: Available Postdoc Position - Microbial Retting

From: Jeffrey Dean <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jun 1995 15:52:42 GMT

POST DOCTORAL POSITION

Project:		

	Development of Enzymatic Retting Process for Industrial 
	Fibers

Location:	

	Athens, Georgia, USA - Laboratories of Dr. Karl-Erik L. 
	Eriksson and Dr. Danny E. Akin, Russell Research Center, 
	ARS-USDA

Description:	

	The overall goal is to develop an enzymatic or microbial 
	process for retting of flax and kenaf.   Enzymes from fungi 
	grown on flax or kenaf as substrates will be characterized, 
	separated, and purified.   Hemicellulolytic and pectinolytic 
	enzymes, alone and in combination, will be tested for their 
	ability to produce high quality, cellulosic fibers from flax 
	and kenaf stalks.   Microbial lignin removal may also be of 
	interest, particularly in the case of kenaf.

Salary:

	US $24,000 (1 year, with possible renewal)

For Information, Contact:

	Dr. Karl-Erik L. Eriksson, Center for Biological Resources 
	Recovery, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, 30602-7229 
	USA.   Phone:  706 - 542-4453;  Fax:  706 - 542-2222.

	or

	Dr. Danny E. Akin, P.O. Box 5677, Russell Research Center, 
	ARS- USDA, Athens, Georgia, 30605 USA.  Phone:  706 - 546-3482;  
	Fax:  706 - 546-3607.