Subject: Nitrogen nutrition in bark fungi

From: [email-masked] (Rosetty)
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 05:01:15 EST

Hi...I am doing research on nitrogen nutrition in bark fungi and looking at
specifically the use of nematodes, tardigrades and rotifers by predacious fungi
as a source of nitrogen. Anyone have any thoughts or info on this to share?
Susan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FULL INTERNET ACCESS    MicroServe Information Systems     ALL USENET GROUPS
25+ Gigs of files            800.380.INET voice         T1,56,PPP,UUCP,WWW,...
   Unlimited Time            www.microserve.net               $75 yearly
(Pa)   Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Stroudsburg, Hazleton
            "THE NORTHEAST EXTENSION ON THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY"
------------------your unlimited Internet access provider----------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven Carpenter)
Date: 22 May 1995 13:13:18 GMT

Our LTER group did substantial research into nitrogen cycling in conifers
during decomposition.  We found substantial nitrogen fixing by free-living
bacteria.  

See our article:

Griffiths, R.P. Mark E. Harmon, Bruce A. Caldwell, S.E. Carpenter.  1993.
Acetylene reduction in conifer logs during early stages of decomposition.  
Plant & Soil 148: 53-61

There will be references to allied work in this as well.

CAUTION: Just because we found something in the tree species we observed
         doesn't mean this is applicable to other species of trees in other
         biomes.  We have found that each kind of forest has its own unique
         nitrogen and carbon engines which operate with different assemblages
         of organisms and decomposition time-scales.    

If you are interested in having fungi identified, please contact me.

-Steve Carpenter
 Cascade Research Associates
  & Abbey Lane Laboratory
 [email-masked]
 phone: 503-929-5984

---

From: [email-masked] (Jessie Micales)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 13:18:33 GMT

> Cascade Research Associates

This is very interesting. So often in decay research we work with pure 
cultures of fungi and measure the amount of decomposition that occurs.  
This, of course, is not how it works in nature!  I am looking forward to 
reading your paper.

Jessie A. Micales
Forest Products Laboratory
Madison, WI 53705
[email-masked]