Subject: mycology supplies

From: [email-masked] (Brian Harasha)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 20:31:22 GMT

Hi, I am looking for some materials and am not sure where the best and 
cheapest place to get them would be.  In particular I am looking for dextrose, 
agar, and malt and yeast extract.  I am making a medium consisting of those 
plus a slurry of potato "juices" to grow mycelium in petri dishes and then to 
continue their growth in a broth consisting of those ingredients minus the 
agar.  It was recommended to me but I guess I'm not even sure if that is the 
best way to go.
Thank you
Brian

---

From: Thomas O'Dell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:26:18 -0700

What kind of media to use depends on what it is you're growing. Many fungi
will grow happily on 0.5 - 5 % malt extract (plus 1 - 3% agaar for solid
media). I recommend Stamets and Chilton. The Mushroom Cultivator. as the
best introdcution to the subject...
Paul Stamets also runs a mail order business- Fungi Perfecti. You can
contact Paul at [email-masked]
Disclaimer: I in no way benefit from any of Pauls business endevours.

Good Luck!

> agar.  It was recommended to me but I guess I'm not even sure if that is the

[email-masked]
Dr. Thomas E. O'Dell, Ph.D.
Dept. of Botany, Box 355325
University of Washington
Seattle, WA, 98195-5325

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 15:42:45 +500

>agar.  It was recommended to me but I guess I'm not even sure if that is the 

Brian,

There is a posting on this newsgroup for Dehydrated Culture Media...that has
what you are looking for -- at considerable savings.  All media is in new
unoppened condition, free flowing and guaranteed .... $ 18.00 / pound (500gm).
Please visit webpage for complete list : http//www2.ids.net/~rand777/media.htm
R.Randolph - Randolph Biomedical - [email-masked]  e-mail for complet list.