Subject: Latin nomenclature

From: [email-masked] (Woloshuk's Group)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 15:57:51 -0500

Does anyone know the latin name for the Portabella mushroom.  We are also
interested in the origin of the common name Portabella.  Thanks for the
help
C. P. Woloshuk
[email-masked]

---

From: Darvin A. DeShazer <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 1996 03:44:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>
>[email-masked]

_Agaricus bisporus_   They are simply OLD!
=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
Darvin DeShazer                    _________________
  [email-masked]              [                 ]
  Science Dept. Chair              :::::::::::::::::     May the smell of
  Audio/Visual Coordinator               |   |            Matsutake make
    St. Vincent High School              |___|              you    @ @
    Petaluma, CA 94952                  /.....\                     ^
  Science Advisor, SOMA.                 |   |         _----_     \___/
    Sonoma CO. Mycological Association   \   \        [      ]
  Education SIG Moderator          _----_ \   \        ------
    North Coast Mac Users Group   [      ] \   \        |  |
---------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 13:00:36 PDT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
<[email-masked]> writes:
> Path: 
news.via.nl!Utrecht.NL.net!sun4nl!EU.net!news.sprintlink.net!news.texas.net
!imci2!newsfeed.internetmci.com!in2.uu.net!csn!nntp-xfer-2.csn.net!yuma!pur
due!mozo.cc.purdue.edu!botany53.btny.purdue.edu!user
> From: [email-masked] (Woloshuk's Group)
> Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
> Subject: Latin nomenclature
> Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 15:57:51 -0500
> Organization: Botatny Purdue University
> Lines: 5
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: botany53.btny.purdue.edu
> 

Portabella mushroom is a brown variety of the common button mushroom 
Agaricus bisporus. vG.

---

From: [email-masked] (William Hunt)
Date: 28 Jan 1996 13:38:59 -0800

In <[email-masked]> Richard W. Kerrigan <[email-masked]> writes:
>I would also enjoy information on the origin and meaning of 
>'Portabella'.  I first heard it given as 'Portobello'.  My ignorance of 
>the Italian language yields the singularly inappropriate translation, 
>"handsome orifice".  Surely this cannot be right...

> Woloshuk's Group ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: Does anyone know the latin name for the Portabella mushroom.  We are also
>: interested in the origin of the common name Portabella.  Thanks for the

i would guess at the meaning 'opened nicely', as opposed to buttons.

-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Heytler)
Date: 28 Jan 1996 20:16:55 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>In <[email-masked]> Richard W. Kerrigan <[email-masked]> writes:
...
>i would guess at the meaning 'opened nicely', as opposed to buttons.

 I have been assured (by a mycologist in the industry) that Portabella is 
the identical species - Agaricus bisporus (or A. brunnescens) - as the 
common cultivated mushroom. Only the growth conditions have been changed.
--Peter Heytler