Subject: Re: Black Bolete

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 23 Jan 1995 03:24:05 GMT

Just a guess, but I would guess the black bolete could be Leccinum 
Manzanita, or the Manzanita Bolete.  It stains Blackish/bluish/purplish 
whaen cooked are dried.  Like all leccinums, it should have raised dark 
spots on the stem, unlike the reticulations on the stalk of the Boletus 
Edulis.
       They also sell for less, and are less flavorful.  I saw one 
Boletus Edulis atop a pile of Manzanita Boletes at Pike street market in 
Seattle, the whole bin labeled as Boletus Edulis.  I confronted the owner 
of the stand, who clearly was a victim, as well as an unwitting 
perpetrator of fraud.  My wife called me off of him.  Of course, he 
should be following the basic rule of....

If you can't identify it, don't sell it!

Of course, I could be wrong.

Jim Berlstein
Waiting for Autumn

---

From: [email-masked] (MYCOCHEF)
Date: 25 Jan 1995 10:15:59 -0500

could be "b. luteus" from South America, a common imported suillus that is
labeled as something else.  in marin county, ca. we are not "waiting for
autumn"--here we are just waiting for the rain to stop!  i did go out
yesterday and gather chanterelles, helvella lacunosa, candy caps, russula
cyanozantha.  lucky us!

---

From: da5id <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 00:15:46 -0500

just curious about whether there there are indeed any boletes growing
in the northeast and if they are whether they are safe?...
or...could you point us in the direction of  somebody  who would know?
shanjks!

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 7 Feb 1995 18:48:45 GMT

Sure there boletes there.
Some are good, some are bad.
Like always, it is a species by species thing.

I have found boletus edulis in the NE. (once)
Also, I think Boletus bicolor was common and OK.
There are lots of Tylopolus genus boletes, the bitter bolete, not good.

July and August mostly, if I remember correctly