Subject: Postdoc, root disease epidemiology

From: [email-masked] (Harald Scherm)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:34:24

The Department of Plant Pathology at Iowa State University is seeking a recent 
Ph.D. graduate for a project to assess the impact of using herbicide-tolerant 
soybeans, the latest biotechnology product, on management of soilborne 
diseases.  The incumbent will use glyphosate-tolerant (“Roundup-Ready”) 
soybean cultivars as a model system.  He/she will investigate the 
effectiveness of using these cultivars together with post-emergence 
applications of glyphosate for reducing herbicide stress and predisposition to 
infection by root pathogens, with focus on sudden death syndrome (caused by 
Fusarium solani).  A strong background in root disease ecology/ mycology and 
experience in quantitative epidemiology and statistical analysis is preferred. 
The position is for two years.  Competitive salary, commensurate with 
qualifications.  Interested individuals should send applications and 
supporting material (CV, copies of academic transcripts, three letters of 
recommendation) to: Dr. X. B. Yang, Department of Plant Pathology, 351 Bessey 
Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011. Phone (515) 294-8826, fax (515) 
294-9420, E-mail: [email-masked].  The position is available in August 
1996 and applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is 
identified.