Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: AIBS Annual Meeting Pre-registration

From: [email-masked] (Keith L. Cowing)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 12:47:04 -0500

American Institute of Biological Sciences
1995 ANNUAL MEETING INFORMATION
The 46th Annual AIBS Meeting of Scientific Societies
August 6-10, 1995
Town and Country Hotel
San Diego, California

"Science and Ethics"

As biological issues such as the preservation of endangered species,
implementation of ecosystem management, and development and use of
extensive human genome databases, present challenging scientific
opportunities, they also present myriad ethical considerations:

€ What is the responsibility of biologists to ensure that their data is
used in an ethical manner?

€ What safeguards are in place to prevent the misuse of data in land
management decision making?

€ Is the research community capable of effectively regulating scientific
misconduct such as fraud and plagiarism?

These and other questions will be addressed during the Sunday evening and
Monday morning AIBS plenary sessions. Noted ethicists and scientists will
present their ethical concerns along with possible solutions.  Please plan
to attend, and help us set the stage for a thoughtful and exciting annual
meeting.

San Diego, California is the site of this year's meeting. San Diego is the
sixth largest city in the United States and has over 70 miles of beaches.
San Diego is considered a leading center in biotechnology, biological
research, and engineering and is home to such world-renowned attractions
as Sea World, the San Diego Zoo (with its award-winning botanical garden)
the Quail Botanical Garden, the San Diego Wild Animal Park and University
of California at San Diego's Scripps Institution of Oceanography, among
others.

ABOUT AIBS:

The American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) is chartered to:
"further the advancement of the biological sciences and their application
to human welfare, and to foster and encourage research and education in
the biological, medical, environmental, and agriculture sciences."  

AIBS was established in 1947 by the National Academy of Sciences under
federal charter.  In 1955, AIBS became an independent, member-governed
nonprofit (501)(c)(3) organization.  AIBS currently has 5,000 individual
members and has 45 affiliated societies whose combined membership totals
over 80,000.  

For more information about AIBS, you can contact us at 730  11th St, NW,
Washington, DC 20001.  Or, you can visit the AIBS gopher at
gopher.aibs.org or point your browser at gopher://aibs.org

PARTICIPATING SOCIETIES:

€ American Fern Society
€ American Society for Plant Taxonomists
€ Association for Tropical Biology
€ Botanical Society of America
€ International Society for Ecological Modeling
€ Mycological Society of America
€ Torrey Botanical Club

GENERAL INFORMATION:

For further information about this meeting, you can contact the AIBS
Meetings Office at:

Voice:  800-992-2427
FAX:    202-628-1509
email:  [email-masked]

MEETING PROGRAM

€ Meeting Facilities

The Town and Country Hotel and Convention Center serves as the
headquarters hotel and meeting facilities for the AIBS Annual Meeting.
Some workshops, however, will be held at the University of San Diego and
San Diego State University.

€ Opening Plenary Session

The 46th AIBS Annual Meeting of Scientific Societies will officially open
on Sunday, August 6, 1995, at 7:00 p.m. in the Town and Country Hotel. W.
Hardy Eshbaugh, President of AIBS will preside.  Harold A. Mooney,
Past-President of AIBS will receive an award and the AIBS Distinguished
Service Award will be presented. The keynote speaker for the Plenary
Session will be Dr. Francisco Ayala of the University of California at
Irvine. Following the Plenary Session all participants are cordially
invited to attend an AIBS-sponsored, all-society mixer. Scientific Program

The program will consist of 8 tracks of sessions, presented by the 8
participating societies. More than 100 concurrent sessions will take place
each day: poster sessions, contributed paper sessions, major symposia,
workshops and special lectures. About 23 scientific field trips before and
after the meeting are planned. In addition, each society sponsors an array
of social events. The meeting will close on Thursday, August 10 at 5:00
p.m.

The General Program, published by the AIBS Meetings Department, will be
sent in advance to each person who registers by June 30, 1995. The program
contains all events and information for the meeting, but does not contain
abstracts.

€ Abstracts

Abstracts of most presentations will be available in the journals of the
participating societies, and some can be purchased on site. Proceedings of
certain sessions may be published individually following the meeting.

€ Poster Sessions

The poster size is 4' X 8' horizontal. The boards are blue or white and
will stand 3 feet off the ground. Push pins may be used on the boards.
Velcro is available upon request.  Posters will be on display in the Atlas
Ballroom of the Town and Country Hotel.

€ Exhibits

Visit the outstanding array of commercial and scientific exhibits offered
in the Atlas Ballroom of the Town and Country Hotel. Representatives from
publishing, software and biological equipment companies will be present.
The hall will be open Monday, August 7 through Wednesday, August 9.
Exhibit hall hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A Treasure Chest Drawing
will take place on Wednesday at noon, with raffled items donated by
exhibitors.

MEETING REGISTRATION

€ Pre registration

Avoid standing in registration lines at the meeting! Persons in the
continental U.S. and Canada who register by June 30, 1995 will have the
General Program, receipts, name badges and other meeting materials mailed
to them before the meeting. Foreign registrants and those who register
after June 30, must pick up their meeting materials at the on- site Pre
registration Desk. 

To request a registration brochure, please call AIBS at 800-992-2427, send
a fax to: 202-628-1509, or send an email message to: [email-masked]  

Registrations are also accepted by phone ONLY using Visa or Mastercard. 
DO NOT SEND CREDIT CARD INFORMATION VIA EMAIL!  The registration fee must
be paid to obtain a name badge, which will be needed for admittance to the
scientific sessions. Pre registration ends July 14, 1995. After this date
you must register on-site.

€ Early Bird Registration Fee

Register by June 1, 1995 and take advantage of discounted registration
fees.

€ On-Site Registration

On-site registration and distribution of name badges, programs, and
tickets to those who did not receive them by mail before the meeting will
take place in the Atlas Foyer of the Town and Country Convention Center.

€ One-Day Registration

One-day registration is available on-site.

HOUSING INFORMATION

Rooms have been reserved on behalf of meeting participants at the
following locations:

€ Town and Country Hotel: Headquarters hotel and site of all scientific
sessions.

€ Handlery Hotel:  Adjacent to the Town and Country Hotel.

€ University of San Diego:  One mile from the Town and Country Hotel.
Continuous shuttle service will be available to and from the Town and
Country Hotel.

€ San Diego State University:  About 10 miles from the Town and Country.
Those staying at this campus are responsible for their own transportation
to and from the Town and Country Hotel.

FURTHER INFORMATION

For more information on housing or to request housing forms, please call
AIBS at 800-992-2427, send a fax to: 202-628-1509, or send an email
message to: [email-masked]