Subject: Re: Wood Ear

From: [email-masked] (Steven Carpenter)
Date: 9 May 1995 04:06:57 GMT

This time of the year would indicate that you have a species of Peziza
or a relative.  These are not Wood Ears.  They are Ascomycete cup-fungi
and not much is known about their edibility.  Go to the library and
check out a book on wild mushrooms.  

-Steve Carpenter
 Cascade Research Associates
  & Abbey Lane Laboratory

Bill Painter ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have located what appears to be Wood Ear but it was growing on the 
: ground in wood chips.  It is in the shape of a bowel and jelly like 
: in look and texture.  I found it growing during some cool weather 
: 50-60 degrees and lots of rain.  I have picked wood ear in the forest
: on trees but never on the ground. Could this be just a different 
: strain?  Also if anyone has good recipes for cooking wood ear 
: please post them!

: Bill Painter

---

From: [email-masked] (CAVETOCAVE)
Date: 15 May 1995 11:11:00 -0400

tree oyster mushrooms do the same thing here in Louisiana.
I have seen wood ears grow out of just about everything..