Subject: gene designations in Neurospora-changes?

From: [email-masked] (Dan Ebbole)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 13:03:31 -0700

I am inclined to suggest to the Neurospora policy committee that we
consider changing gene designations to match current usage for S.
cerevisiae.  There are many reasons for this, most of them are obvious. 
Currently a gene such as cpc-1 is written (in italics) cpc-1, the mutant is
(in italics) cpc-1-, the protein is CPC1.  In S. cerevisiae usage this
would be the gene (in italics) CPC1, a mutant, (in italics) cpc1 and the
protein Cpc1p.  

Comments?
------------------------
Dr. Daniel Ebbole
[email-masked]
Dept. of Plant Pathology and Microbiology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-2132

---

From: [email-masked] (David H. Griffin)
Date: 11 Apr 1995 19:01:57 GMT

Concerning Dan Ebole's proposal for a more standardized genetic 
terminology. As a nonNeurospora mycologist who has struggled to read 
Neurosporology by diverse authors using diverse terminology systems, I'm 
all for it. I think that the Saccharomycetologists have invented an 
excellent system that is easy to follow (wash my mouth out with . . .). 
Other geneticists of other organisms should consider following suit.

David H. Griffin               
Department of Environmental &
    Forest Biology
350 Illick Hall
College of Environmental         
    Science and Forestry        
One Forestry Drive
Syracuse NY 13210-2788         
e-mail: [email-masked]