Subject: Scalp mycosis???

From: [email-masked] (Jessie Micales)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 08:24:10

Any medical mycologists out there?

Our secretary noticed yesterday that she has two circular areas on her scalp 
in which all the hair is gone.  The patches are circular, very red and 
irritated looking (although they don't hurt), and about 2 cm in 
diameter.  She went to the doctor (a general practioner) who had never seen 
anything like it before.  He took some samples and will presumably do some 
culturing.  Any suggestions in the interim?  She, of course, is quite 
worried.

Jessie ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (David Orlovich)
Date: 13 Mar 1995 00:59:44 GMT

Sounds like ringworm ... Tinea capitis

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Robb Siegel)
Date: 20 Mar 1995 18:29:52 -0800

"Tinea capitis", of course, is the name which clinicians give to the 
medical condition.  The causative organisms all seem to belong to either 
of two genera:  Trichophyton (teleomorph, when known, is Arthroderma) and 
Microsporum (teleomorph = Nanizzia).  I hope that helps.