Subject: Position announcement

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Jan 95 10:05:22 CST

Position Available: 
Curator for the Fungal Genetics Stock Center 

Craig Wilson has decided to resign as Curator of the Fungal Genetics
Stock Center in order to pursue his growing interests in
Library/Information Science.  For many of you who have
come to depend upon Craig for his quick and reliable help this information
will come as somewhat of a blow  (as it did to me).  Craig has done an
outstanding job and will be sorely missed by those of us who worked with
him.  However, this situation presents an opportunity for someone with the
right skills and personality traits who might be looking for such a position. 
As things now stand the position does not require a Ph. D., but it could be
a good position for someone with a Ph. D. who does not wish to establish
his/her own lab and pursue the chase for research grants.  If you know of
someone with academic interests in Fungal Genetics who might be
interested in this position please have them contact me.  Below I have
asked Craig to list some of his regular activities  to give you a better feel
for the skills required for the job.

John A. Kinsey
Department of Microbiology
University of Kansas Medical Center
Kansas City, KS 66160
Ph. 913-588-7088
Fax 913-588-7295
E-mail [email-masked]

Ongoing activities of the stock center (at any time of year):

Respond to requests for strains
Preserve new deposits of fungi and DNA
Test characteristics of new deposits
Update records for printed/online catalogues
Solicit deposits of newly developed and/or important strains/genes

Seasonal activities:

Compile, compose, print, and distribute the Fungal Genetics Newsletter
Compile, compose, and print meeting programs/proceedings from Fungal
Genetics
     Conferences
Print periodic updates of FGSC catalogue
Collect and record reprints from annual bibliographies

This rather terse listing of core functions of the stock center neglects things
that could be done to improve and expand the collection and information
related to it.  I have spent a lot of time in the past year making stock lists,
meeting abstracts, newsletter articles, the Neurospora Compendium, etc.
available to readers via the World Wide Web.  There is surely additional
relevant data that could be presented in this forum.

Over the years, I have had the chance to find map locations for a few
unmapped mutations represented in FGSC, but more remain.  I have done
virtually nothing about developing cloned materials in the collection.  As
the effort to develop truly ordered libraries of fungal sequences proceeds,
the stock center should be involved in developing, preserving and
distributing these and related tools.  Someone with more molecular skill
than I have could undertake useful development projects I can't even
imagine.

It has been my privilege to be responsible for this vital collection and I
can't overstate what a terrific opportunity it provides for someone who can
bring energy and enthusiasm to improving, expanding, and developing a
facility that is of such benefit to researchers around the world.  I, too,
would be happy to speak to persons with specific questions about what
it is like working at FGSC.

Craig Wilson
ph. 913-588-7044
e-mail [email-masked]