Subject: Conidial weight

From: [email-masked] (Jason Dobranic)
Date: 28 Mar 1995 09:04:34 -0800

Hi,
	What standard procedures are there to determine the weight of
one conidia? Or estimate which is more likely. 

Thanks in advance,
Jason Dobranic
University Of Toronto

---

From: [email-masked] (Claude Selitrennikoff)
Date: 29 Mar 1995 06:33:26 -0800

> one conidia? Or estimate which is more likely. 
Dear Jason:  a number of years ago Bob Nelson and I estimated a N. crassa 
macroconidium to be ~50 pico grams.  We did this by determining the dry 
weight of a sample containing a known number of macro's (determined by 
using a haemocytometer).  Hope this helps.

Claude Selitrennikoff

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 17:34:54 GMT

>one conidia? Or estimate which is more likely. 

Weigh a batch of conidia, then suspend the conidia in a known volume of
water with surfactant.  Using at least 10 counts with a haemocytometer, 
count the mean number of conidia per ml, which will give the original
number of conidia you weighed, and therefore the mean weight per conidium.
-RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]