Subject: Re: Different Yeasts?

From: [email-masked] (Ari Kornfeld)
Date: 20 Dec 1994 20:18:03 GMT

Ari Kornfeld ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I've gotten as far as figuring out that Saccharomyces cerevisiae is
: one of or all of:  baker's yeast, brewers yeast, nutritional yeast.

Thanks for your replies:

  The concensus seems to be that S. cerevisiae is baker's &
nutritional yeast (since nut. yeast is just a processed form of
baker's yeast) and that brewer's yeast may either be S. carlsbergensis
or S. cerevisiae.

  One person even pointed out that spanish for beer is cervesa - named
after the little bugger, no doubt.

  So does that sound right?  Any dissenting opinions?

  thanks again
-ari

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandy Silverman)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 21:10:10 GMT

I thought "nutritional" yeast was Torula.
--
Sanford Silverman                      >Opinions expressed here are my own<
American Cyanamid  
[email-masked]     			"Yeast is Best"