Subject: Re: Eating Sulfur shelf

From: [email-masked] (Paul Zambino)
Date: 7 Nov 1996 07:22:02 -0800

Sulfer shelf is a great favorite fried with our family.  We like it fried
with garlic, then used in spaghetti sauce.  It has a sort of tangy or acidy
flavor that goes well with a well cooked sauce.  Paul

Paul Zambino, Ph.D.
USDA Forest Service
Forestry Sciences Lab
5985 Highway K
Rhinelander, WI 54501
PH:(715)362-1178
FAX: (715)362-1166
EMAIL: [email-masked]
DG:p.zambino:R09F06A

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:24:35 GMT

>I recently stumbled across a big, mature sulfur shelf
>perched atop an old stump.
>I've since cleaned it, cut/torn it to bits, sauteed it,
>given it a quick boil in chicken stock(seemed appropriate),
>and frozen it.
>I'm now wondering just what the hell to do with it all.
>-- 

I have eaten chicken of the woods for many years and it is one of my
favorites. Some people report experiencing a slight stomach discomfort
when eating this mushroom. I have never had a problem myself.
You said that you found a mature specimen and tore it to bits. I
suggest that next time you find one you trim only the softer outer
edges as the harder interior parts are somewhat woody unless you find
a very young one. 
The first time that I collected them to eat I gathered about three
gallons of them. My mom parboiled and canned them. As we opened the
jars, we ended up going through and discarding about 60% of the
mushrooms as they were as hard as the logs from which they were
gathered.

rexs13

Rex's Fabulous Fungi (including Oregon White and Oregon Black
Truffles)
http://www.teleport.com/~rexs13

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:30:27 GMT

[email-masked] (Berlstein) wrote:

>I used to eat sulfur shelves, but now I don't.  If you eat them, consider
>the idea of trimming off the tenderest one inch of soft cap margin on only
>the youngest specimens with the classic bright yellow bottom and carrot
>orange top.  If the bottom is fading to white, it is too old.  It makes
>some people sick.  I have seen it in the supermarket, but it was way too
>old; it was a whole woody shelf, and it was on sale at $10 a pound.  Happy
>picking.  

>Jim Berlstein  

I have also been told by commercial buyers that they no longer accept
chicken of the woods because the ones that grow on certain trees
(eucalyptus, I think) make people ill.

rexs13