Subject: Luminescent fungi - easily grown

From: [email-masked] (Joel Cohen)
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 13:35:21 -0500

I am looking for a luminescent fungi that fulfills the following
requirements.  It should glo (the brighter the better), be rel. non-toxic
so that I needn't worry too much when young children are around them,
easily grown (preferably quick to make a fruiting body) and be native to
North America ( Otherwise all kinds of troubles by agriculture canada in
bringing them into the canada).

I am rather new at the exciting game of mushroom hunting, but am quite
interested in obtaining a sample of spores and the agar plates presumably
neseccary to support growth.  Where do I get the spores and agar plates to
begin my growth?  Are there any potential problems in growing them?

Currently I am gaining experience working as a teaching asst. at one of
the local elementary schools and I believe that growing one these
marvellous fungi would be an excellent example of natures wonderful
biodiversity.  If you have any other information that could help me it
would be much appreciated.

Two suggestions that fulfill the above requirements for my Fungi are
Panellus stipticus, and Mycena chlorophos (I'm still not sure where to
obtain the spores and growing medium - if you know please let me know)!  

Looking forward to your suggestions 
and thank you very mush : ) in advance
Joel B Cohen
E-mail either the newsgroup or my email address at
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stamets 1)
Date: 29 May 1995 21:44:39 -0400

Joel et al.,

I have Mycena chlorophos and will trade it for another luminescent
species. I have no idea whether it is non-toxic or not. 

What other luminescent species are out there ?
 Which species have 
 mycelia and fruitbodies that glow in the dark ?

Who is doing research on this subject?

paul stamets