Subject: Re: Clitocybe nuda lookalikes?

From: [email-masked] (Sarah Boomer)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 15:53:20 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Daniel
Jason Katz) wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are any poisonous mushrooms that a novice
could easilymistake for the blewit? I found a bunch of what I think are
Clitocybe nudas
> yesterday in a live oak woodland, and before I munched them, I wanted some
> feedback from experienced mycologists. It fits the description in Mushrooms
> Demystified and All the Rain Promises except that I wouldn't call the stalk
> solid-it's more fibery and hollow. Thanks!
> 
> Dan Katz
> [email-masked]

I am not a 'professional' mycologist, but I have gathered C. nuda for
consumption.  I am not aware of any close lookalikes, but other purple
mushrooms do exist, including some in the cortinarius group that are of
uncertain edibility.  Be sure you get a spore print, and be sure they have
that characteristic 'citrusy' smell.  If possible, have someone with more
experience then you look at them.  Remember--when in doubt, throw it out!

Matthew Stoecker

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Jason Katz)
Date: 20 Dec 1994 21:47:53 GMT

Does anyone know if there are any poisonous mushrooms that a novice could easilymistake for the blewit? I found a bunch of what I think are Clitocybe nudas

Dan Katz
[email-masked]