Subject: Gymnopilus spectablis anyone?

From: [email-masked] (David N. Gaines)
Date: 6 Sep 1996 14:25:10 GMT

I am looking for information on possible habitat and or forest (tree 
species) associations of Gymnopilus spectablis and other members of this 
genus.  I have searched for them on and off in hardwood forests of the 
Appalachian range (Pennsylvania to Virginia) for the last 15 years and 
had little luck.  Several years ago I worked on a mosquito survey in the 
flood plains of south central Virginia and found Gymnops on several 
occasions.  They were growing on river birch (Betula nigra) stumps and 
logs (mid summer) an an area that was pretty much pure river birch. I did 
not find them in any other forest type environment.  Unfortunately,  I 
did not have time to ID these Gymnops but they were a redish or 
pinkish-orange color, had caps 1-2 inches in diameter  and had a distinct 
anslike odor.  They did not fit the descriptions of G. spectablis  (i.e. 
were too small and too red colored), but had other characteristics of the 
genera.  Are G. spectablis typically found in association with a 
particular tree species or forest habitat?  Is there a season when they 
are more prevalent?  I would appreciate any help I can get on this 
subject.  

David
-- 
.... --- .-- -.. -.--   ..-. .-. --- --
Blacksburg, VA 24061
[email-masked]
-.. .-.-.-   -. .-.-.-   --. .- .. -. . s
"""''''""""''''""""''''""""''''""""''''""""''''""""''''""""''''

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael A. Dritschel)
Date: 6 Sep 1996 16:10:28 GMT

> are more prevalent?  I would appreciate any help I can get on this 

While in graduate school at the University of Virginia, I found
Gymnopilus spectablis once growing on a decrepit silver maple on
campus (the tree was cut down shortly afterwards).  Some friends,
aware of its reputation, tried it out but reported none of the sought
after effects.  They ate it fresh rather than dried, which may have
something to do with it, though I've read that there can be quite a
lot of variability potency, with for example specimins found in
Japan being much much stronger than those from the US.

While on the subject of mushrooms growing on trees, another rarely
encountered species is Volveriella bombicina.  Again while in graduate
school I had the good fortune of finding it fruiting on a red maple
that I would drive past on the way to campus.  It fruited several
times per year, and this continued for four years from the time I
first noticed it until apparently playing out.

-- 
Michael A. Dritschel          [email-masked]

Department of Mathematics
Mathematical Sciences Building
Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana  47907-1395
USA

(317)-494-1942

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Galvan)
Date: 10 Sep 1996 23:33:31 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>,
>species) associations of Gymnopilus spectablis and other members of this 

they grow in great size and numbers on dead Douglas Fir in the coastal 
forests of northern california.  it's a winter thing.

---

From: Darin Burleigh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 15:59:26 -0500

Michael A. Dritschel wrote:
> > genus.

 [ snip ]

> first noticed it until apparently playing out.

 How curious! I have found BOTH the G. spectabilis AND the 
V. bombycina (sp?) in the same place - a small forest preserve
 in the over populated suburbs of chicagoland, no less. my 
 research on the 'laughing gym' indicates it has active ingredients.
 I also tried it fresh.

---

From: [email-masked] (JME4DICE)
Date: 13 Sep 1996 13:46:44 -0400

Yesterday I found a fruiting of G. Spectabilis on the road side next to a
stump, inbetween two maples. 
Im in CT.
Thought you may like to know that.
-Jamie

---

From: [email-masked] (Mycos)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:13:30 GMT

>> are more prevalent?  I would appreciate any help I can get on this 

Hi David,
 I have in my collection here a species I believe to be Gymnopilus
aeruginosus. There were a number of them growing on dead and down
poplar trees in a riparian location. The trees were small and only
slightly decomposed. The caps when fresh were multi-hued but seem to
have lost this characteristic upon drying. Now they seem to present
only a rust-red coloration.

                                          Gary Williams
<[email-masked]>