Subject: Morel Growing at Home

From: [email-masked](Bill Painter)
Date: 3 May 1995 18:48:25 GMT

Anyone know what type of substrate should be used
if one were to try and establish a Morel Mushroom
patch at home?

Bill Painter

---

From: Darvin A. DeShazer <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 May 1995 02:13:18 GMT

I've had very good luck with torn-up cardboard boxes, kitchen compost and
dirt.  82 morels so far from a 2 foot by 2 foot patch.  Be sure to water
during the dry season.  I get 2 flushes per year.
Darvin
 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                             _______________
Darvin DeShazer             [               ]
Science Dept. Chair          :::::::::::::::             May the smell of
  St. Vincent High School         |   |                   Matsutake make
Science Advisor, SOMA             |___|                     you    - -
  SOnoma Co. Mycological Assoc.  /.....\                            ^
                                  |   |                           \___/
      _----_                      \   \       _----_
     [      ]                      \   \     [      ]
      ------         _----_         \   \     ------
       |  |         [      ]         \   \     |  |

---

From: [email-masked] (HENRY E. KILPATRICK JR.)
Date: 6 May 1995 03:02:41 GMT

Darvin A. DeShazer ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I've had very good luck with torn-up cardboard boxes, kitchen compost and
: dirt.  82 morels so far from a 2 foot by 2 foot patch.  Be sure to water
: during the dry season.  I get 2 flushes per year.
: Darvin

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to grow them in the east.  It seems 
that when the temperature conditions are right, they are out in the wild 
anyhow, at least in the spring.  The conditions probably get right again 
in the fall.  Are your two flushes 6 months apart, or close together?

Buddy Kilpatrick

---

From: [email-masked] (CAVETOCAVE)
Date: 7 May 1995 15:54:26 -0400

contact Fungi Perfecti in Washington State.

---

From: [email-masked](Bill Painter)
Date: 5 May 1995 02:34:13 GMT

I assume by your host name that you are in Cal.  Im interested in how
you got it started did you just put some old morel's in the area and
pile the compost on top?  What time of the year do you get the
flushes?

>during the dry season.  I get 2 flushes per year.

Bill Painter                 voice 402-477-0747
State of Nebraska
CDP / Network Support