Subject: Vancouver BC - what's picking now??

From: Paul Klym <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 22:00:12 -0700

Wondering what's picking now around the Vancouver area or Vancouver 
Island (as of May 10th). Found 8 "blonde" morels a couple of weeks ago 
on Saltspring Island... a little old, but still good when carefully 
cleaned.

Thanks,

Paul

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 15:53:33 GMT

>on Saltspring Island... a little old, but still good when carefully 

Info. for Vancouver Island:

Morchella elata (black morel) has been common this spring.  It is getting
toward the late part of the season for it.  Marasmius oreades (fairy ring
mushroom) got an early start this year, and the first flushes are mostly
gone now.  I was shocked to find one small fruiting body of Boletus
edulis (king bolete) on May 4- I have no idea if this is just an individual
confused by the late, cold Spring we've had, or an indicator that the
early summer type may fruit a little early this year- we'll see.  Pleurotus
ostreatus (oyster mushroom) is also fruiting right now.  Within about a
month (weather permitting), we should start to see Agaricus augustus (the
Prince) and Lepiota racchodes.  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]