Subject: How to clone mushrooms?

From: sean kevin cooney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 11:07:19 -0500

I was hoping someone out there could explain to me how to clone 
a mushroom or point me to some literature that would explain the process 
to me.  And furthermore is the process species specific.  I'm a poor 
undergraduate who loves shiitake mushrooms and other wild species, but can't 
really afford them or get out enough to collect them as often as I'd 
like.  I have access to a lab and autoclave (etc.), in which I work, so I 
have everything I need (I think) at my finger-tips but the know-how.  Any 
help would be greatly appreciated!!
				thanks,
					Sean ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Warren Rekow)
Date: 17 Feb 1995 14:33:23 -0800

On 16 Feb 1995 Sean Cooney wrote:
>to me.  ....

Sean, a lab and autoclave may provide you with the the essentials for doing
tissue culture or spore germinations on agar, but making the transition
from petri dishes to fruited mushrooms is another matter.  Your first task
should be buying a copy of and studying the book "The Mushroom Cultivator"
authored by Paul Stamets & J.S. Chilton.  Paul can be reached online at the
following address:  [email-masked].  Be sure to also get the
Fungi Perfecti catalog from him.

You may also want to subscribe to the FUNGUS mail list, which is for people
interested in mushroom cultivation.  The moderator, Ralph Arnold, can be
contacted at:  [email-masked].

-- 
Warren Rekow ([email-masked])
HC 79, Box 104, Melba  ID  83641
Phone or fax: 208-896-4908