Subject: Malassezia spp.

From: [email-masked] (S. Kesavan)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:16:23 +0100 (BST)

Does anyone know what sort of lipids are present in the cell wall of the 
dimorphic yeast Malassezia furfur? (apparently makes up ~15-20% of the total 
cell wall).

Are there any relevant papers on the subject?

Thanks

Mr S Kesavan

---

From: [email-masked] (Lester Pasarell)
Date: 23 Sep 1996 14:42:55 -0700

>Are there any relevant papers on the subject?

There are some very good reviews and books on Malassezia furfur. as a
starter check the following reference, I do not know as a fact if they list
what type of lipids but it is a starter:

Ingham & Cunningham. 1993. Malassezia furfur. J. Med Vet Mycol 31:265-288

You may also want to do a Medline Entrez search in the WEB at url:

http://www3.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Entrez/

use the term Malassezia...and there are at least 45 documents pertaining
to the organism and about 3 pertaining to lipase, lipids or fatty acid
metabolism.

Good luck

Lester

Lester Pasarell-Luiggi                        
Medical Mycology Reference Laboratory 
Department of Pathology                           
University of Texas Medical Branch            
Galveston, Tx 77555-0609                      
http://fungus.utmb.edu/myco.htm   (for work)
http://marlin.utmb.edu/~lpasarel  (for fun)
e-mail= [email-masked]