Subject: Fusarium in aquarium airstone

From: [email-masked] (David Pinero)
Date: 2 May 1996 03:17:44 GMT

I just noticed last week to my disgust some fungus growing underwater on 
the aquarium airstone. I took it to my lab and grew it and it was a 
Fusarium. I am not familiar with species identification, and I don't have 
carnation leaf agar available, but on malt agar it is an orange mucoid 
colony with thin white fluff, and abundant numbers of large macroconidia. 
Anyway, I am worried since Fusarium has a toxic reputation that it will 
have hurt my fish. Is this an unusual Fusarium habitat? Just wanted to 
share thisinformation to anybody interested.

David

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Robb Siegel)
Date: 2 May 1996 09:23:46 -0700

> colony with thin white fluff, and abundant numbers of large macroconidia. 
 
The following appears in Chapter Seven of the 1996 mycology text by 
Alexopoulis, Mims, and Blackwell:

	"...and recently, in the months before one large public 
	aquarium opened, fish held in temporary tanks under less
	than optimum conditions were subject to infection by 
	certain species of Fusarium that attacked some fish species 
	selectively.  Similar outbreaks are known in hatcheries."