Subject: Re: papulospores

From: [email-masked] (John (Jack) Murphy)
Date: 8 Nov 1996 13:21:11 -0800

Dear fellow mycologists;
    Doesn't our understanding of papulospores hinge upon the fate in nature
of the cells within the papulospore?  It seems reasonable to me that these
cells could be liberated and dispersed in a manner similar to ascospores
>from  a cleistothecium.  It seems equally reasonable that the papulospore
could be dispersed as a unit, or that it's not dispersed at all but just
sits in place and functions as a sclerotium.  What we really need is some
information about what happens in nature before we conclude anything about
its true function.

sincerely,

Jack

*****************************************************

John (Jack) Murphy
Dept. of Botany, The Field Museum
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL   60605
(312) 241-6519

Please also crosspost email messages to  [email-masked] until
Dec. 20, 1996.