Subject: Are Deuteromycetes Universally Amylolytic?

From: [email-masked] (Ribosome96)
Date: 22 Sep 1996 15:03:19 -0400

In my research works, I observed that Deuteromycetes are capable of 
degrading  starch or  enriched agar( without carbohydrate source) to a
certain extent to dextrins or other intermediates or completely
transforming it to simple sugars. Even by just growing them in  plain Agar
they create zones with iodine. Can anyone support this? 

ITS
Research Consultant

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Robb Siegel)
Date: 22 Sep 1996 16:50:45 -0700

They shouldn't be *universally* amylolytic, but there should be many that 
do as you describe.  What species have you tried?

By the way, if they're making iodine-stainable zones in "plain Agar", 
presumably meaning just plates poured with agar autoclaved in tapwater or 
distilled water, that might mean that they are *manufacturing* and 
*excreting* amyloid or dextrinoid material into the medium, not degrading 
it.  

What color does iodine stain a water-agar plate?  What else does iodine 
stain?