Subject: Edibility of Lepistas

From: [email-masked] (Harry Lehto)
Date: 14 Nov 1996 13:51:23 GMT

Dear mushroomers,
              I ran accross two Lepista species Lepista nuda (=Blewit)
[finnish name: Sinivalmuska] and Lepista nebularis [Härmämalikka]. 
(Both have been assigned sometimes to Clitocybe of Tricholoma genera.) 
Any way, most books I have tell that these are edible, but warn that 
some people get gastric side-effects.

I would like to hear about experience of such effects with these mushrooms
and wheather they occured if mushrooms were boiled before preparing them 
for food.

Also I would appreciate in hearing about your experience with 
Hypoloma capnoides [Kuusilahokka] considered a good edible species here 
in Finland. 

Regards
Harry
-- 
_____________________________________________________________________
   Dr. Harry J Lehto                     Assistant Professor, Docent
   Tuorla Observatory                    Yliassistentti,    Dosentti
   Turku University                      Tel: +358-2-2744263
   Vaisalantie 20                        Fax: +358-2-2433767
   21500 Piikkio, FINLAND                email: [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Paul Beard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:09:08 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, Harry Lehto <[email-masked]>
writes
>some people get gastric side-effects.

I've had no problem with L nuda cooked but some people apparently are
upset by them raw. The ones I've tried have had a high enough water
content to be stewed in their own juices.
-- 
Paul Beard

---

From: [email-masked] (Alain Gerault)
Date: 2 Dec 1996 11:08:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>Hypoloma capnoides [Kuusilahokka] considered a good edible species here 

    Dear Harry,

   Lepista nuda, Clitocybe nebularis, Rhodopaxillus nudus contain a lot of 
polyacetylenic compounds with bacteriostatic proprieties and toxic for many 
people.
  For exemple:
    Diatretyne I, II and III, Agrocybine, Dehydromatricarionol...
 This toxins are partialy eliminated in the water of cooking.

  A.GERAULT  [email-masked]