Subject: Computerized mould identification

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Feb 1995 07:08:59 -0800

Recent posts to this newsgroup about problems identifying moulds, and
the need for a good mould identification manual lead me to suggest
several possibilities.

1.  Bryce Kendrick is selling a computerized synoptic key to all known
hyphomycete genera for about $80.  It is based on a database he created
using the free form database program AskSam.  It is not
point and click and the user is expected to memorize approximately ten
descriptor abbreviations and use these in combination with key words.
The thing is that this key is fast, it works, and it is up to date.
You can contact Bryce at [email-masked]

2.  There are several excellent books available that combine
top quality illustrations and good keys but are not 'monographs' of all
hyphomycete genera.  These include:

Samson, R. A. and E. S. Hoekstra. 1994.  Introduction to Food Borne Fungi.
published by Centraalbureau voor Schimmelcultures, P. O. Box 273, 3740
AG Baarn, the Netherlands.  This book, now in its fourth edition, includes
about 100 species.  The trick is that these are the most common 100 moulds
in most biodeterioration situations.

Wang, C. J. K. and R. A. Zabel. 1990.  Identificaiton manual for Fungi
from Utility Poles in the eastern United States.  published by the
American Type Culture Collection, 12301 Parklawn Drive, Rockville, MD
20852.  More useful than the title might imply.  Includes descriptions
and illustrations of common microfungi (basidiomycetes, ascomycetes and
anamorphic fungi) on wood.

Domsch, K. H., W. Gams and T.-H. Anderson. 1993 (reprint).  Compendium
of soil fungi.  reprinted by IHW-Verlag, Bert-Brecht-Str. 18, D-85386
Eching, Germany.  This classic book (originally published in 1980) 
includes more than 200 species, with brief literature reviews on the
biological and biochemical properties of each species.  Worth the price
for *any* lab working with microfungi.

And for those who must deal with Penicillium and Aspergillus but don't
want to wade through the monographs...

Pitt, J. I. 1988.  A laboratory guide to common Penicillium species.

			and

Klich, M. A. and J. I. Pitt. 1988.  A laboratory guide to common
Aspergillus species and their teleomorphs.

Both available from J. I. Pitt, CSIRO, Division of Food Processing,
P. O. Box 52, North Ryde, NSW 2113, Australia.

3.  If you are serious about contributing to our knowledge of anamorphic
fungi, or to helping develop information resources that can be used by
people with an interest in these fungi, join AnaNet.  This is an 
organization (rather loose...) of about 150 individuals world wide
who share this common interest.  Contact me at [email-masked]
for more information.

Keith Seifert