Subject: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Position Description

From: [email-masked] (Dianne Bolwell)
Date: 11 Dec 1996 18:53:44 -0800

________________________________________

We are seeking applications for the following position.  I would be 
most grateful if you could advise appropriately qualified personnel 
of the opportunity.

Dr Jim Kollmorgen
Director, Joint Centre for Crop Improvement
Email: [email-masked]
Ph: (03) 622 121
Fax: (03) 622 187

POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW,
CROP IMPROVEMENT/PLANT PATHOLOGY

POSITION DESCRIPTION

Project Title:
Identification and utilisation of novel sources of take-all 
(Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici) resistance in wheat.

The Position is a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship with the Joint 
Centre for Crop Improvement, a collaborative venture between the 
University of Melbourne's Department of Agriculture & Resource 
Management, Longerenong College and Agriculture Victoria.  The 
Research Fellowship is funded by the Grains Research and Development 
Corporation (GRDC).  You will conduct research on the identification 
and utilisation of novel sources of take-all (Gaeumannomyces graminis 
var. tritici) resistance in wheat, with particular emphasis on such 
wild relatives as Triticum tauschii and Aegilops spp.  You will also 
be required to assist in the training of postgraduate students in 
this field.

KEY SELECTION CRITERIA

* A Ph.D. involving Plant Pathology, Cell Biology or Plant 
Genetics.

* Highly developed skills in the axenic culture of cells.

* Well developed oral and written skills, evidenced by publications 
in refereed journals and presentations at conferences.

* Proven ability to work in, and contribute to a multidisciplinary 
team.

DESIRABLE:

* A good understanding of plant genetics and breeding.

* A sound understanding of host parasite interactions involving 
soil-borne pathogens.

* Skills in plant cell/tissue culture.

* Well developed computer skills.

* Familiarity with statistical design and analysis of experiments.

* A current driver's licence.

SALARY:  $38,092 - $40,889 pa (Research Fellow Grade 1).