Subject: Bamboo as Substrate?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 29 Apr 1996 11:53:24 GMT

Has anyone tried bamboo leaves as a stubstrate for mushroom cultivation??
Does anyone know if it would work??

---

From: Peter Oei <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 May 1996 19:29:11 GMT

>Does anyone know if it would work??

Bamboo is used in China for the cultivation of the Veiled lady mushroom 
(Dictyophora duplicata and Dictyophora indusiata) but is not 
indispensable for their growth. Some recipes mention sawdust and some 
other ligno-cellulose rich substrates. 
In principle probably a number of wood-inhabitating mushrooms could 
thrive on bamboo, but I wonder whether they would perform better than 
sawdust for e.g. shiitake, oyster mushrooms or Flmmulina.

Peter Oei

P.S. In may a new book will be published on the cultivation of many 
different mushrooms, please contact my publisher for more details: 
[email-masked]

---

From: Graham Orme <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 96 14:40:18 GMT

(snip)

> different mushrooms, please contact my publisher for more details: 

It sounds interesting. Please could you give us the title, Peter.

-- 
Graham Orme                 Maldon Environmental Technology Limited
                            Tel: +44 1621 855572.