Subject: morels in NY state

From: [email-masked] (LauraL6000)
Date: 11 May 1996 20:30:47 -0400

Went morel hunting in an apple orchard today near Highland NY and found
approx. 30 yellow morels and (I think) 10 half-frees. The others with me
also did quite well. The first time I ever found any, I had a great
time!!!!

Anyone else out there finding 'em in NY?

Will happily accept any delicious recipes (vegetarian, pasta etc.) via
e-mail. Thanks!

---

From: [email-masked] (MELSTER10)
Date: 19 May 1996 18:28:54 -0400

Found 2 yellow morels today in my backyard in the Albany, NY area.  This
was my first siting (and eating!) as well.  My father in Herkimer, NY
reported large numbers of morels there as well.  We've been getting lots
of rain here this spring.

---

From: [email-masked](:) )
Date: 22 May 1996 00:56:05 GMT

I would like to buy some morels from any one in the Balt/Wash DC area
since I can't find them here.  I used to find a lot of them in southern
Indiana.  If you get any extra, let me know.  I'm starving!!

thanks gro

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (MELSTER10)

---

From: [email-masked] (allen lutins)
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 19:55:26 GMT

>of rain here this spring.

...as a follow-up, i have found none in the usual spots here in Binghamton,
but an hour+ to the north, in Truxton (east of Cortland), where they got
overnight showers/thunderstorms, i found what appeared to be a first
fruiting...

...the weather here has been *strange* (Monday 5/13 flurries & low of 25F;
Monday 5/20 hot & humid, high of 98F!!!)...i think the weather mighta
messed up the morel season here (killing frost, early heat), but we had
thunderstorms yesterday (chance of another shwer or thunderstorm today) and
it's cooler again, so i'm gonna try once more...

					-allen

allen "alley cat" lutins - [email-masked]
  Home Page:
    http://www.nitehawk.com/alleycat/welcome.html
  Anthropology Resources on the Internet:
    http://www.nitehawk.com/alleycat/anth-faq.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Xerula)
Date: 22 May 1996 13:19:12 -0400

I am in Syracuse NY... and we are havign the best morel season in many
years, apparrently all over the state.  Alan & Arleen Bessette in Utica
went out last Saturday and harvested 14 pounds of Yellow Morels (Morchella
esculenta group).  The season is running late here; at the higher
elevations we shall be picking the giant yellows (M. crassipes) in the
third week of June on the less-south-facing slopes.  --Dave Fischer