Subject: computer program

From: Charles Samuels <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 10:04:18 -0800

Does anyone know of a mushroom identification computer program?  Thanks 
in advance.

---

From: [email-masked] (Fred Rhoades)
Date: 8 Jul 1996 07:47:05 -0700

>Does anyone know of a mushroom identification computer program?  Thanks 

Hi all,
  I am still distributing Demo Disks of the PC-TAXON key system with the
key viewing program, ASKATAXA (Version 2.6) and a key to 50 genera of
gilled mushrooms.  An old version (2.4) of this disk is available on the
INTERNET (http://muse.bio.cornell.edu/archive/taxacom.html).  The file to
get is 014ask.zip in the Flora On Line Archive.  This version does not
work well on faster 386 and 486 computers.  Note that the PC-TAXON package
is now distributed by the author and no longer by QUEUE as indicated in
these files.  A general discussion of computer keys is at
http://muse.bio.cornell.edu/archive/gophtax.1994/0564.html.
  Write to me for details on the current version and the whole PC-TAXON 
program set.

Fred Rhoades, Research Associate
Biology Department, WWU
Bellingham, WA  98225
USA
FAX: (360) 650-3148
Voice: (360) 733-9149

email: [email-masked]

---

From: Steve Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 17:13:49 -0700

> Does anyone know of a mushroom identification computer program?  Thanks

Yes!  I've seen the prototype and it looks pretty good.

Contact: Tidemark Communications  http://www.tidemark.com

Steven Bell
Puget Sound Mycological Society

---

From: [email-masked] (mspear)
Date: 9 Jul 1996 09:20:06 -0400

> Does anyone know of a mushroom identification computer program?  Thanks 

I have used Bryce Kendrick's Mushroom.ask for some time now.  It is a
bit technical, no photos.  It's based on one of those "free form
databases" called Inforsift.  It does not ask you a series of
questions like a traditional dichotomous key.  Instead after each
desciptive item you enter it narrows down the field to only  those
entries that match your input.  

I like it because it is small and DOS based, it can go out into the
field in a Palmtop.

There is definately a place for a glitzier mushroom key however and I
don't know of one.

---

From: [email-masked] (Sigvard Svensson)
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 23:31:11 +0200

In article <[email-masked]>, Charles Samuels
<[email-masked]> wrote:

|>Does anyone know of a mushroom identification computer program?  Thanks 
|>in advance.

Eventually not so very actual, this could be of some interest. Source was,
I think, this newsgroup some 15 months ago or so:

<http://www.cinenet.net/users/velosa/>

I suppose this link leads to the "Taxy" program (same author) that runs on
both Mac, IBM-comp:s and UNIX I think, but server did not answer at my
try, although the above URL showed up in a AltaVista search. Taxy is
however available via anonomyos ftp on <d2.com/pub/taxy>, where I just got
myself a new copy.

Another program is the commercial "PolyKey"  for polypore identification
by J. E.
Adaskaveg & Mike Dunlap, which also runs on both Mac & IBM-comp:s . Actual
info on versions, price and availability presumably via e-mail to Michael
Dunlap <[email-masked]>. My info on this from april 1995, so it
might be outdated:

Good Luck
/Sigvard

-- 
Sigvard Svensson (IT-Adviser, Mycologist (LD), SDA)
E-mail: [email-masked]
Tel: 046-222 40 61 (Int.:+46 46 222 40 61)
Fax: 046-222 42 34 (Int.:+46 46 222 42 34)

Disclaimer: As Lund University pay me for working only, there is no reason to assume that my opinions are those of my employer.