Subject: Scytalidium

From: Marianne Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jul 1995 01:57:43 GMT

I have been doing some reading about the plant pathogenic fungus 
Hendersonula toruloidea (Deuteromycotina, Coelomycetes), and the 
scytalidium state or form-genus has been mentioned.  Is this the same as 
the genus scytalidium that is a mycoparasite on some fungi that cause 
rust diseases in trees?  I guess I'm confused about what is meant by 
form-genus.  Any information would be appreciated.   ----Marianne

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Gaunt)
Date: 19 Jul 1995 20:05:36 GMT

Marianne Elliott ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have been doing some reading about the plant pathogenic fungus 
: Hendersonula toruloidea (Deuteromycotina, Coelomycetes), and the 
: scytalidium state or form-genus has been mentioned.  Is this the same as 
: the genus scytalidium that is a mycoparasite on some fungi that cause 
: rust diseases in trees?  I guess I'm confused about what is meant by 
: form-genus.  Any information would be appreciated.   ----Marianne
: 

A form-genus is commonly used for the anamorph or conidial state
of the fungus.  The prefix form- denotes that these groups don't
imply phylogenetic relationships.  They're simply "handles" for use
in discussing the various forms.
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Dennis D. Gaunt                   | Internet: [email-masked] | 
| The University of Iowa            |    Voice: (319) 335-4500       |
| Oakdale Research Campus           |      FAX: (319) 335-4555       |
| Iowa City, Iowa  52242            |                                |
----------------------------------------------------------------------