Subject: Re: Predatorial Fungi

From: [email-masked] (Steve Danko)
Date: 8 Mar 1995 00:05:14 GMT

There exists a considerable volume of literature on the nematode-destroying
fungi.  Barron (Barron, G.L. 1977.  The Nematode-Destroying Fungi.  Topics
in Mycology No. 1. 144 pp. Can. Biol. Publ. Ltd. Guelph, Ontario) divides 
these fungi in two groups:  endoparasites and predators.  

The endoparasites produce spores that either become attached to the 
nematodes or are injested by the nematodes.  Upon germination, the fungi
then digest the worm. Example: *Harposporium anguillulae*.

The predators produce constricting and nonconstricting hyphal rings
and adhesive knobs or nets.  Fungi such as *Dactylaria bronchopaga* and
*Arthrobotrys dactyloides* are examples.  

You asked about soybean cyst nematode:  *Heterodera glycines*.
I don't know if any nematophagous fungi specifically attack this
nemtode, but the American Type Culture Collection contains a fungus
*Dactylella oviparisitica* isolated from egg masses of the root-knot nematode
*Meloidogyne*.

For further reading see Duddington, C.L. 1957.  The Friendly Fungi. A New
Approach to the Eelworm Problem.  Faber and Faber, London.  188 pp.

Hope this helps!

Steve Danko
Genencor International, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (UNICORNbag)
Date: 19 Mar 1995 16:08:51 -0500

If you need PE and PP bags for cultivating those  insects, please let us
know
We have filtered bags. Lou Hsu
[email-masked]