Subject: Job announcement

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Jan 1995 14:16:41 -0800

Position Available
Herbarium Database Manager, New York Botanical Garden

The newly-created position of Herbarium Database Manager is currently available
at the New York Botanical Garden.  The Database Manager will be responsible for
the quality of the data entered into NYpc, the Garden's institution-wide
specimen database system.

The Herbarium Database Manager will train all new users of the database system.
Initially at least 10 herbarium staff members will catalog specimens in to the
database as a routine part of their job.  Training will include not only the
step-by-step operation of the database at the computer, but also interpretation
of specimen label data, including how to use pertinent botanical literature to
interpret that data. The Herbarium Database Manager will regularly review new
entries to the authority files associated with NYpc to be sure that the
information is correct and in the proper format.

The Herbarium Database Manager will be responsible for revising and maintaining
the user documentation for the software (both written and on-line), and will
work with the Computer Services Staff to help prepare specimen records to be
made available electronically to the scientific community via the INTERNET.
The Herbarium Database Manager will also help in the planning for,
implementation of, and conversion to the more elaborate database system (NYdb)
that will replace NYpc in the next five years.

The New York Botanical Garden is located in the northernmost part of New York
City, in the Bronx.  Our scientific program involves systematic and
ethnobotanical research on plants and fungi.  The herbarium of the New York
Botanical Garden is the largest in the western hemisphere, with approximately
5.6 million dried specimens.

The Herbarium Database Manager should have experience using a database, but
programming skills are not required.  Knowledge of plant nomenclature and
familiarity with botanical literature is essential.  The Database Manager
should have had experience working in an herbarium.  Because we will be
conducting databasing projects in all groups of plants and fungi, a familiarity
with a broad array of plant and fungal groups is desirable.  The Herbarium
Database Manager should have a B.S. or M.S. in Botany or Biology, or
equivalent experience.  Salary is commensurate with experience.  Excellent
fringe benefits, including four weeks vacation.  Send resume and letter of
interest to: Personnel Manager, New York Botanical Garden, 200 St. & Southern
Blvd., Bronx, NY 10458-5126.   AA/EOE/M/F/D/V

We would like to fill the position in February or March 1995.  If you have
questions about the job, contact: Barbara M. Thiers, Administrative Curator,
New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY 10458.  email: [email-masked];
telephone: 718-817-6822; fax: 718-562-6780.