Subject: How to clean Sparassis crispa?

From: Peter Oei & Shan Du <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Oct 1995 21:44:53 GMT

Almost every textbook on mushrooms refers to Sparassis as a nice edible 
mushroom. When I stumbled across a big Sparassis I picked it for dinner. 
It is however extremely difficult to remove all the sand because of the 
structure of this particular mushroom. The taste was great, but the sand 
between out teeth was less exciting. 

Does anybody have a tip how to get rid of the sand? Normal washing 
doesn't seem to help much.

Peter Oei
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 11 Oct 1995 18:47:11 GMT

Re: cleaning sparassis

I usually slice it into 0.5 inch slabs (some hold together, some don't) 
and put the pieces into a pasta strainer, and spray them clean with the 
sprayer-thing in my sink.  Never wash mushrooms before storing in the 
fridge, but I think washing is fine if you do it seconds before cooking 
the mushroom.

Happy hunting

-
  JIM BERLSTEIN, B.F.D.  [email-masked]