Subject: doing research on Ganoderma lucidium immunology paper

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Karl Goldkamp)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 23:27:53 GMT

Does any one have any information on Ganoderma alias Lingzhi, or
Reishi.  I'm doning a Immunology paper  on it and have done medline
search.  Im a student at a Naturopathic Medical school here in Seattle. 
Though I know ganoderma is used for cancer in Japan I need to find studies
that bring a western approach to it.  So far LZ-8 appears to be a isolated
polysacchride of interest.  Any timps or leads or greatly appreciated.

E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stamets 1)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 20:13:32 -0500

RE: Ganoderma lucidum. 

At the last International Mycological Congress in August in Vancouver,
BC, a paper was presented by a group of Korean Researchers (physicians &
mycologists) who isolated a sub-fraction of a polysaccarhide of Ganoderma
lucidum, which, when exposed to HIV infected lymphocytes allowed for
prolongerd cell survival whereas those cells not exposed shortly died. 

This is particularly interesting to me because in dealing with NCI - the
positive results they have had are discarded as unapplicable due to the
size of the polysaccaharide molecules.  The prevailing belief is that
these compounds 
 can't be introduced into the cell without causing damage to
the cell wall membrane. The Korean work has isolated a  lower molecular
compound which obviously - in the case of lymphocytes - can be assimilated
and extends life of these immune cells. The testing procedure they used
was designed and approved by NCI, according to them. 

Their paper has not yet been published but will be summarized when the
proceedings are printed. 

Their path of isolation of these subfractions could easily be applied to
many
different Polypores.  I look forward to the results that these
subfractions and/or their combinations will have in  -in vivo-  studies in
the near future. The research in this subject is becoming much more
scientific credible as time goes on. 

Of course,  my company  has  lots of information in the forms of
books,etc.. 
and my lastest book Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms is the first
book  (that I know of) to describe the cultivation of this species in
detail. 

paul stamets   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Otto Lang)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 08:46:07 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>E-mail: [email-masked]

Dr. Alice W. Chen, who describes herself as Ganoderma Mushroom Specialist,
gave a presentation to the Mycological Society of Toronto (MST) on Nov.21,
1994 on "Cultivation and Biomedical Importance of~Ganoderma lucidum~.

She is *not* connected ekectronically. Write her for information:

Alice W. Chen, Ph.D.
Specialty Mushroom Consultation
1730 Penfield Road
Penfield, N.Y. 14526, USA
Tel:(716) 381-0804

Hope this helps
Otto
-- 
Otto Lang, Mycological Society of Toronto <[email-masked]> Fidonet 1:250/228
OR <[email-masked]>