Subject: Early Seattle mushrooms

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 11 Feb 1995 10:09:45 GMT

While strolling through some local woods and ball fields with my 
fungus hunting budies (Great Danes, of course) I spotted some spring 
entalomas (in grass) and and some Amianita Pantherinas (in woods).  
Apparently winter is coming on sunday, but I was wondering if others have 
seen any extremely early fruitings.  Also, does anyone think that this 
weird weather will bring on morel season early as well? Anyone find any 
verpas yet? Some nice morels appeared last year were the city did some 
digging by the "mailbox rack" in front of my neihbors house.  As he has 
graded his trailer parking area only twenty feet away from there, I'm 
expecting BIG things this year!

Waiting for spring in Seattle

-
  JIM BERLSTEIN  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Galvan)
Date: 11 Feb 1995 09:29:14 -0800

Here in Marin county, California Amanita pantherina has been common as
cockroaches all January, and fading fast now as Amanita velosa pops up by
every Coast Live Oak.  Lots of A. rubescens too.  Poor year for
chanterelles here, though there have been good reports 50-100 miles south.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Harris)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 16:29:06 GMT

> chanterelles here, though there have been good reports 50-100 miles south. 

Are you positive it is pantherina and not P. aspera which looks like it
and is more common here in Marin? Agree on Chants and boletes as well.

Bob Harris    [email-masked]
       
  /|\
 / | \
/  |  \
\     /
 \   /
  \ /
   +
    +      +
      +   + 
       +++