Subject: Ph.D studentship

From: BFITT <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jun 1996 15:46:43 +0100

BBSRC CASE Ph.D. STUDENTSHIP

        Molecular Diagnosis of Light Leaf Spot Disease of Brassicas

Supervisors:  Dr. Alison M. Ashby (Cambridge) and Dr. Bruce Fitt (Rothamsted)

A BBSRC CASE Ph.D. studentship is available from 1 October 1996 to develop 
molecular diagnostic techniques for the identification of  Pyrenopeziza 
brassicae (cause of light leaf spot) on infected brassicas.  The project will be 
jointly supervised by Dr. Ashby (Plant Sciences, Cambridge) and Dr. Fitt 
(IACR-Rothamsted, Harpenden, Herts).  The project will involve the use of PCR 
and other molecular techniques to develop a molecular diagnostic marker to allow 
quick and reliable  forecasting of light leaf spot disease epidemics on winter
oilseed rape crops.  The student will be based at Cambridge and Rothamsted.   
The studentship grant will be supplemented by 2000 p.a.  Applicants should have 
a degree (2.1 or equivalent) in a biological science, preferably with experience 
in molecular biology and plant pathology, and should be UK, EU or EEA citizens.

To apply, or for further information, please contact as soon as possible:

Dr. Alison M. Ashby            or       Dr. Bruce Fitt
Department of Plant Sciences            Crop & Disease Management Dept
University of Cambridge                 IACR-Rothamsted
Cambridge CB2 3EA                       Harpenden
UK                                      Herts AL5 2JQ  
                                        UK
                                   
Tel: 01223 330232                       Tel: 01582-763133
Fax: 01223 333953                       Fax: 01582-760981
EMail: [email-masked]         EMail: [email-masked]

12 June 1996