Subject: colorless mutants

From: [email-masked] (James R Mattoon)
Date: 24 Jul 1995 18:42:33 GMT

I want to locate references/cultures of colorless mutants of Aspergillus, 
especially A. niger and Neurospora.  Any suggestions?
jmattoon

---

From: Chuck Staben <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jul 1995 00:19:56 GMT

Neurospora mutants are described well in a review:
Perkins, et al Microbiol. Rev. 46:426-570.
There are three loci at which mutants conferring an albino phenotype are known: al-1, al-2, 
and al-3.
These, and many other stocks as well as other information are available from the Fungal 
Genetic Stock Center:
http://kumchttp.mc.ukans.edu/research/fgsc/main.html
I am less familiar with Aspergillus mutants.  I believe that there are many more collections 
of A. nidulans mutants than of A. niger.  Although I know that many color mutants are known, I 
do not know which loci confer albino phenotypes.  The Stock Center also collects A. nidulans 
mutants and, I think, has some A. niger stocks.