Subject: Postdoctoral Position-Circadian Rhythms

From: [email-masked] (Jennifer Loros)
Date: 6 Nov 1995 22:08:10 -0800

***POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE******

We are anxious to identify and recruit a  colleague to join  our joint lab
effort to understand  the circadian clock system in Neurospora crassa.  
 While we have several ongoing projects that are being pursued in only one or
jointly in both of our labs - including identification of novel clock genes,
mapping and cloning of known clock genes,  reverse genetics of previously
cloned genes such as the frequency gene and analysis of the mechanisms through
which clock-regulated target genes are transcriptionally controlled - we are
particularly interested in identifying an individual to work with one or both
of us on some aspect of circadian clock-regulation of gene expression and
development.
  
Some references to our recent work are appended to this note.

Based on our previous experiences, we  expect the successful candidate will be
(in order of importance) 
(1) a socially responsible lab member able to interact well and easily among
the other 10 or 11 of us,   
(2) hard working and self motivated,  
(3) published,  
(4) smart, and
(5) knowledgeable about molecular biology.

If this is you,  please have a current CV sent to one of us, along with the
names, addresses, and phone numbers of three scientists who know you well and
with whom we can have frank discussions.
If you know of someone like this, please forward this message.

NIH pay scale, position available now.

Jennifer J. Loros		or 			Jay C. Dunlap
Department of Biochemistry
Dartmouth Medical School
Hanover, NH  03755-3844

Some recent references to our work:

Loros, J. J. 1995. The Molecular Basis of the Neurospora Clock.  Seminars in
the Neurosciences 7, 3-13.

Crosthwaite, S.C., Loros, J.J., and J. C. Dunlap.  1995. Light-Induced
Resetting of a Circadian Clock is Mediated by a Rapid Increase in frequency
Transcript, CELL 81, 1003 - 1012 (cover article).

Bell-Pedersen, D., Dunlap, J. C.  and J. J. Loros. 1996. Distinct cis-acting
elements mediate clock, light, and developmental regulation of the Neurospora
crassa eas (ccg-2) gene, Molecular and Cellular Biology, in press

Aronson, B., Johnson, K., J.J. Loros, and J. C. Dunlap.  1994.  Negative
Feedback Defining a Circadian Clock:  Autoregulation of the Clock Gene
frequency, Science 263, 1578 - 1584 (cover article).

Aronson, B., Johnson, K., and J. C. Dunlap.  1994.  The circadian clock gene
frequency:  a single ORF defines period length and temperature compensation,
Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 91, 7683 - 7687.

Arpaia, G. Loros, J.J., Dunlap, J. C., Morelli, G. and G. Macino.  1995.  The
Clock-Controlled Gene ccg-1 is Independently Transcriptionally Induced by
Light. Molecular and General Genetics 242,  490-494.

Merrow, M. and J. C. Dunlap. 1994.  Intergeneric Complementation of a Circadian
Rhythmicity Defect:  Phylogenetic Conservation of the 989 amino acid Open
Reading Frame in the Clock Gene Frequency, EMBO J. 13, 2257 - 2266.

Arpaia, G. Loros, J.J., Dunlap, J. C., Morelli, G. and G. Macino.  1993.  The
Interplay of Light and the Circadian Clock:  Independent Dual Regulation of the
Clock-Controlled Gene ccg-2.  Plant Physiology 102, 1299 - 1305.

Bell-Pedersen, D., Dunlap, J. C.  and Jennifer J. Loros. 1992.  The Neurospora
circadian clock-controlled gene ccg-2 is allelic to eas and encodes a fungal
hydrophobin required for formation of the conidial rodlet layer.  Genes and
Development 6, 2382 - 2394.