Subject: MORAL'S

From: [email-masked] (CAL MUSH 1)
Date: 26 Feb 1995 19:24:23 -0500

WoW.  Just found about a 40+ acre cherry orchard that is just booming with
yellow Moral's.  I filled my kind's easter basket in about a 100 yard
walk.
What the best way to identify the edibility of these mushroom's.  Don't
want to eat or sell any bad shrooms to anybody.

Thank's Ray
The more we know the more we grow.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 23:15:40 GMT

Sounds like good advice.
I also want to know where in Ca., so I can estimate the progress of Morel 
season up the coast to portland and Seattle.
Morels are one of the few mushrooms that really are just as good dried as 
fresh, in my opinion.  I recommend cutting them in half for drying. If 
you don't have an herb dryer, spread them out in front of a fan.  They 
will probably only fruit for 2-3 weeks at most, so get em while they're 
hot.  If children pick them, make sure not to let them rot in a pile, or 
you might be accused of corupting the morels of a minor. (yuk yuk yuk).  
Consider contacting the local mushroom club for some help, and a few good 
books.  Dried morel samples can be sent to me for "testing" anytime, I 
will be happy to test them in a cream sauce.

-
  JIM BERLSTEIN  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Galvan)
Date: 27 Feb 1995 20:51:42 -0800

>The more we know the more we grow.

Well let's start with habitat,  like *where are you*?
Then maybe someone here can refer you to a veteren picker.
Then you'll learn to replace the a with an e and get morels.
							^
and then you'll buy Mushrooms Demystifyed, by David Arora and you'll 
be up studying 'till 2am for a week!

BTW, get 'em while they're good and dry them!

---

From: [email-masked] (Shaharin Yussof)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 07:17:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
                                                 ^
                                       ^
>Then you'll learn to replace the a with an e and get morels.

Don't correct others until you can correct yourself!

Shah

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 17:53:02 GMT

>season up the coast to portland and Seattle.

Yes!  If anyone could report the northward progress of morel fruiting in North
America &/or the West Coast, it would really be a big help to those of us who 
have to plan dates for mushroom club forays (some members in my group are 
still not convinced there's even such thing as a morel- we seem to have hit 
all the wrong dates and places last year.)  Tracking the chanterelle reports 
northward last fall in bionet.mycology proved to be very useful- we were able 
to hit the nail right on the head. I imagine that northward tracking would 
also benefit those further south who want to know how far they are into the 
season.	-RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]