Subject: fungal micro-satellites

From: Rodney Earl Pettway <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:58:52 -0500

Hello,
Could anyone tell me if anyone has found micro-satellites in fungi????

Thank you very much and have a great day!!!!!!!!

Rodney Earl Pettway

---

From: [email-masked] (PostDoc Lab)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:58:24 +0900

> Thank you very much and have a great day!!!!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is an article:

BRAITHWAITE KS; MANNERS JM. HUMAN HYPERVARIABLE MINISATELLITE PROBES
DETECT DNA POLYMORPHISMS IN THE FUNGUS COLLETOTRICHUM-GLOEOSPORIOIDES. 
CURRENT GENETICS, 1989 DEC, V16 N5-6:473-475.

About five years ago, I myself used Jeffreys human minisatellites 33.6 and
33.15 as multilocus probes and generated polymorphism between races of a
basidiomycete fungus Heterobasidion annosum.  These results indicate that
fungi have abundant minisatellite-like sequences in their genomes. 
However, I don't actually know if fungi have "satellite DNA" which is seen
as a satellite band in CsCl gradient analysis.

Takao Kasuga
[email-masked]