Subject: Any information on Polyporus squamosus

From: "Matt Buckey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:30:54 -0800

If anyone has any info. on Polyporus squamosus - the biological,cultivation
and possible marketing possibilities - I would be very grateful indeed as I
am a student in the UK and we have very little info. available.

Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Yarek Hrywna <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 1997 18:46:11 GMT

I have cultivated P. squamosus on synthetic logs similar to those used 
in shiitake and other gourmet mushroom cultivation.  The run through 
takes around 3-4 weeks, after which a hard, crisp, brown crust forms 
over the whole block (similar to that of a shiitake block, but thicker 
and much darker).  At that point the block is ready to soak and fruit.  
Use environmental conditions similar to those used in shiitake 
cultivation.  

As with any other mushroom cultivation, the exact formulation of your 
synthetic log, as well as the optimal conditions for fruiting, will be 
strain specific and trial runs (with appropriate tweeking) should be 
done before going for a commercial run.  

You should pick young, tender caps as I have found that the older ones 
become a bit hard to chew.  I have stored this mushroom for over 3 and a  
half weeks in my fridge without substantial degradation.  The flavor is 
OK, but this mushroom is no Grifola frondosa!

                              Good luck,

                                       Chris