Subject: Re: Morels

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 21:43:30 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (L
Moon) wrote:

> When can I expect to find morels on Vancouver Island?
> 
> --
> L Moon          __
>                 \/

When you look for them where and when they grow. Here in the mid-
Willamette Valley in Oregon, I start looking around the 3rd week of March.
I usually find at least some Verpa bohemica under the cottonwoods along
the river bottoms. The low elevation burns start to come off about then,
as well. The season is usually in full swing here in mid to late April.
I would look for them at the same time on Vancouver Island, although I
feel that   they may be 1-2 weeks behind. If you don't start looking until
later, it is easy to say that they start at the time when you found them.
Don't get caught in the trap of precluding an earlier fruiting time for
lack of seeking them.
I picked 3 species of morels in July of last year in the McCall, Idaho
area at the 7,000 ft. level. Some friends were still finding quantities of
them in September. Check out my web page http://www.teleport.com/~rexs13
for a brief report of last years crop and watch for new morel info in late
March.
rexs13