Subject: Preserving mushrooms

From: [email-masked] (Shirl den)
Date: 19 Apr 1995 21:07:30 -0400

In David Arora's book, "Mushrooms Demystified", he states that mushrooms
can be encased in cubes of plastic resin.  Has anyone tried this?   Would
like to try this myself but thought it best to see what results others may
have had.
Thanks, Shirl.

---

From: [email-masked] (Otto Lang)
Date: 3 May 1995 03:48:00 -0400

To: [email-masked] (mspear)
Subject: Re: Preserving mushrooms

M>From: [email-masked] (mspear)
M>Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
M>Subject: Re: Preserving mushrooms
M>Date: 24 Apr 1995 16:47:41 -0400

M>Shirl den ([email-masked]) wrote:
M>> In David Arora's book, "Mushrooms Demystified", he states that mushrooms
M>> can be encased in cubes of plastic resin.  Has anyone tried this?   Would
M>> like to try this myself but thought it best to see what results others may
M>> have had.
M>> Thanks, Shirl.

M>I've used classical parafin embedding technique on small and medium
M>sized mushrooms.  You get a preserved specimen that's surprisingly
M>lifelike.  The method I used is the same you would used for classical
M>microscopy.  You start with killing and fixing solutions and replace
M>them with increasing concentrations of wax.  You do need a vacuum oven
M>and time.  In the end you can keep you waxed mushroom on the desk or
M>slice it up with a microtome.

M>Morphology is good but colors can fade.

M>I can get you some references if you are interesed.
M>    ---- Mark

I would also be interested, Mark, in this... and specifically
where to get a vaccum oven.  Is this method comparable to
freeze drying, or better?
Otto

 * OLX 1.53 * It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
                                                                                                  
-- 
Otto Lang, Mycological Society of Toronto <[email-masked]> Fidonet 1:250/228
OR <[email-masked]>