Subject: CALL FOR PROPOSALS: NASA NRA 95-01: Ground-Based and Small Payloads Research in Space Life Sciences

From: [email-masked] (Keith L. Cowing)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 1995 10:14:22 -0500

UPDATE: NASA NRA OLMSA 95-01

-- > Letters of Intent Due:  March 24, 1995  <---

You can now download this entire NASA Research Announcement (NASA NRA
9501) from the AIBS Gopher (for Mac and PC) by selecting the "Professional
Opportunities" folder and then looking within the "NASA" folder.

You can connect to the AIBS gopher at:

       gopher.aibs.org

or via WWW at:

       gopher://aibs.org

+++++++++++++

NASA OMB Approval No. 2700-0042
NRA 95 OLMSA-01
NASA Research Announcement Soliciting Proposals for 
Ground-Based and Small Payloads Research in Space Life Sciences

Life and Biomedical Sciences and Applications Division
Office of Life and Microgravity Sciences and Applications
National Aeronautics and Space Administration

Date NRA Issued:  January 26, 1995
-- > Letters of Intent Due:  March 24, 1995  <---
Proposals Due:  April 21, 1995

This National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Research
Announcement (NRA) solicits proposals to participate in Ground-Based and
Small Payloads Research in Space Life Sciences.  This is a broad-based
announcement that solicits research proposals for all of the major
programs of the Life and Biomedical Sciences and Applications Division. 
The specific programs that are included in this announcement are Space
Biology, Space Physiology and Countermeasures, Environmental Health, Space
Radiation Health, Space Human Factors, Advanced Life Support, Advanced
Extravehicular Activity Systems, Advanced Technology Development and Data
Analysis.  Proposals submitted in response to this Announcement may be
either for standard ground-based research investigations or for small
payload flight experiments or for both.  Proposal to develop experiments
aiming at space station utilization are particularly encouraged.

Subsequent announcements similar to and based upon this Announcement will
be updated and issued annually and will be the primary means of obtaining
research proposals form the scientific community for ground and small
payloads research in the space life sciences.  Although this NRA is
broad-based, it is restricted to the science programs named above and
described in detail in Appendix A.  The potential proposer should read the
program descriptions that are of interest with care and attempt to focus
the proposal on the specific research emphases defined in this
Announcement.

Participation in the Ground-based and Small Payloads Research in Space
Life Sciences is open to all individuals and all categories of domestic
and foreign organizations, industry, educational institutions, other
nonprofit organizations, NASA laboratories, and other U.S. Governmental
agencies.  Proposals which will enhance or complement the scientific
return from research currently being supported by the National Institutes
of Health, National Science Foundation, or other Government agencies are
encouraged.  

In addition, proposals to advance technology and develop practical
applications of technology are sought under this Announcement.  Because of
limitations of access to flight opportunities, it is expected that the
majority of proposals approved in response to this Announcement would be
for ground-based research.  

A letter of Intent to Propose is requested by March 24, 1995.  Proposals
may be submitted at any time up to April 21, 1995.  Proposals will be
evaluated for scientific/technical value, soundness, intrinsic
scientific/technical value, relevance, implementation feasibility, and
cost.  A selection announcement will be made between August and October of
1995.  Funding of selected proposals will begin sometime between October
1995 and September 1996.

Proposals due:   April 21, 1995
Letters of Intent Due:  March 24, 1995

Number of copies Requested:  20

NASA Selecting official:

     Dr. Joan Vernikos
     Director, Life and Biomedical Sciences and Applications   
     Division/ Code ULR
     NASA Headquarters
     Washington, DC 20564-0001

Obtain additional information from the appropriate Science Program
manager, as indicated below, at the following address:

     UL/ Life and Biomedical Sciences 
     and Applications Division
     NASA Headquarters
     Washington, DC 20546-0001
     Telephone: 202-358-2530
     Fax: 202-358-4168

Program: Program Manager/Email

Space Biology: 
  Dr. Mary Anne Frey
  [email-masked]

Space Physiology and Countermeasures:
  Dr. Victor S. Schneider
  [email-masked]

Environmental Health:
  Dr. Victor S. Schneider
  [email-masked]

Space Radiation Health:
  Dr. Frank M. Sulzman 
  [email-masked]

Space Human Factors:
  Dr. Guy C. Fogleman
  [email-masked]

Advanced Life Support:
  Dr. Maurice M. Averner
  [email-masked]

Advanced Extravehicular Activity Systems:
  Mr. Robert K. Callaway
  [email-masked]

Advanced Technology Development:
  Mr. Gregory K. Schmidt
  [email-masked]

Data Analysis:
  Dr. Ronald J. White
  [email-masked]

Small Payloads Program:
  Mr. Marc Shepanek
  [email-masked]

Proposals and Letters of Intent mailed through the U.S. Postal Service by
express, first class, registered, or certified mail are to be sent to the
following address:

    Ronald J. White, PhD.
    Life and Biomedical Sciences and Applications   
       Division/ Code UL
    NASA Headquarters
    Washington, DC 20546-0001

Proposals and Letters of Intent hand delivered or sent by commercial
delivery or courier services are to be delivered between the hours of 8 AM
and 4:30 PM:

    Ronald J. White, PhD.
    Life and Biomedical Sciences and Applications   
      Division/ Code UL
    National Aeronautics and Space Administration
    ATTN: Receiving and Inspection (Rear of Building)
    300 E street, SW
    Washington, DC 20024-3210

The telephone number 202-488-2940 may be used when required for reference
by delivery services.  NASA cannot receive deliveries on Saturdays,
Sundays, or federal Holidays.

Special instructions apply to foreign (non-U.S.) proposals.