Subject: Measurement of Candida growth

From: [email-masked] ("R.D. Haigh")
Date: 30 Jul 1996 07:58:33 -0700

Hi,
  I'm a bacteria person a little out of his depth but trying to find a
  good method for measuring growth (in any possible way) of Candida
  once it has switched to its pseudo-hyphal form. I need a system that
  is sensetive as my samples will be initially very small (approx 100
  cells) but which is relatively easy as I would like to do this with
  undergraduate students. I have contemplated labelling the DNA with
  tritium, extracting it, and then measuring by scintillation counting
  but I'm unsure of the reproducibility of DNA preps from Candida
  hyphae or that I want to use tritium with students. Any suggestions
  gratefully accepted,

Richard Haigh
Department cf Microbiology and Immunology
University of Leicester
Leicester
U.K.
[email-masked]