Subject: Re: Biological function of hallucinogens in fungi ?

From: [email-masked] (Paul Zambino)
Date: 23 Jan 1996 08:00:42 -0800

>Re: function of hallucinogen in mushroom-
>
>Jim's Chemical warfare theory
>
>I believe the function of fungal toxins is for the poisoning of one's
>mycological neighbors, and generally occurs mostly in fruiting, when the
>nitrogen is low, so the resourse is worth the cost of producing these
>chemical weapons.  I do not believe it is to eliminate waste products.  I
>scoff at the idea.  Creating these molecules, some quite complex, like
>the amanita toxins, cannot be done too easily.  It would be like if you
>took all your waste paper and made an origami eifel tower, and then threw
>it away.  It does not make sense.  Anyway, that's what I think.  Anyone
>else with a theory to throw out?
>So far there is:
>
>1) Waste disposal
>2) Trans-dimensional portal
>3) Jim's Chemical warfare theory
>
>-
>  JIM BERLSTEIN, B.F.D.-    [email-masked]

Jim, I think you are on the right track in suggesting that fungal toxins in
general, also including hallucinogens, have biological functions that are
beneficial directly or indirectly to the fungus, but rather than poisoning
mycological neighbors, I wonder if these compounds serve to restrict
mycophagy at some stage of development of the fungus.  Call it the "Loopy
mycophage" theory if you will.

It may even be that the compounds are less important in the short lived
sporocarps than in, for example, mycorrhizae.  Does anyone know if these
compounds are 1) present in mycelia or mycorrhizae as well as in
sporocarps? 2) secreted extracellularly?  I would think that thse questions
would be very important in the ecology of these fungi, with respect to
whether they may could have direct detrimental or beneficial effects on
arthropod or mammel grazers of either the fungus or the host roots that
they are associated with.  Also, I know of no effects of hallucinogens on
other fungi, but am unsure whether this has been tested.  Paul Z.

Paul Zambino, Ph.D.
USDA Forest Service
Forestry Sciences Lab
5985 Highway K
Rhinelander, WI 54501
PH:(715)362-1178
FAX: (715)362-1166
EMAIL: [email-masked]
DG:p.zambino:R09F06A

---

From: [email-masked] ("David Brayford ", IMI)
Date: 23 Jan 1996 08:41:49 -0800

I'm not sure about 'sinking shrooms', but they are known to uptake 
environmental contaminants.  In particular, radioactive contamination of 
mushrooms became a hot topic following the Chernobyl atomic reactor 
explosion in the Ukraine in 1986.  Of the papers published on the subject, I 
think consensus was that they are pretty good at taking up contaminants from 
the environment.

I came across the following reference which some may find of interest:

Korky, J. K. & Kowalski, L.  (1989).  Radioactive cesium in edible 
mushrooms.
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 37: 568-569.
This study was to ascertain whether field-collected, edible
 mushrooms showed radioactive contamination, particularly
 <sup(137)>Cs, above the background value. Samples were analysed by
 a <gamma>-ray spectrometer. The study showed that the <gamma>-ray
 intensity of <sup(137)>Cs from the Polish sample was 7.2 times
 greater than the background. It also revealed the clear presence of
 <sup(137)>Cs in the 3 USA samples, in which the intensity was 4.3
 times greater than the background. Thus, the increase of
 <sup(137)>Cs in field-collected samples is probably due to an
 inherent metabolic factor, making field mushrooms suitable
 indicator organisms for analysis of radioactive contamination.

I haven't read this paper but, hopefully, the backgrounds were very low!
Dave B

 ----------
From: BIOSCI-REQUEST
To: mycology
Subject: Re: Biological function of hallucinogens in fungi ?
Date: 23 January 1996 12:54

Tom Volk <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hi Jan.
<snip>
 the fruiting body may act as a "sink" for metabolic
>wastes. These compounds are then "expelled" to the outside
>environment when the mushroom decays.  According to Dr.
>Rippon, it is only a coincidence that some of these fungal
>secondary metabolites are toxic or hallucinogenic to
>humans.  In his inimitable style, Dr. Rippon describes the
>mushroom as the "fungal toilet."
>
>Food for thought, eh?
>---Tom
>
There is one major flaw to this theory that strikes me, however.
How can it then be that some species of mushrooms are edible *no matter in
which environment
they  grow* Of course, the different species of mushrooms are connected to
one particular kind
of environment, but they can't foresee local differences in, say,
concentrations of heavy
metals, etc. Mushrooms do not behave, as far as I know, like mussels that
accumulates toxins
depending on seasonal differences in the local algal flora.

Jan