Subject: mushroom import

From: [email-masked] ( Gaurav a.k.a. The Beast)
Date: 30 Jul 1996 22:06:15 -0400

I would be very interested to find out more about importing mushrooms
(A. bisporus, portabellas, shiitakes etc.) into America. I am in contact
with a mushroom farm overseas and I am trying to put together a
feasibility study for them. I have found several sites of interest but
they lack info on regulations.
Thanks to all and I think that this is a great resource for enthusiasts
and experts alike.

Gaurav Agarwal
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mycophagy)
Date: 13 Aug 1996 16:15:00 -0400

I don't know why anyone would even want to try to import A. bispora or
portabello (a variation of A. bispora) since the local growers more than
cover the market at very low wholesale prices. Also they don't ship well
fresh, are grown with a very toxic spray program and are having their
market encroached on severly by Shiitake' and other exotic cultivated
mushrooms.
Shiitake' are being promoted around the USA by University extension
programs and are being overgrown in most areas with local farmers losing
more than they are making money at it. (But the extension people get the
grants)
If you are talking about importing from India, I know that fresh paddy
straw mushrooms were being pushed by the government there and if you could
figure a way to ship them they might find a market.