Subject: Morels gone bad!?

From: [email-masked] (wynn john)
Date: 4 May 1995 22:57:49 GMT

OK....I found the morels, large and numerous. I have one question,
however. Due to Utah's dry climate (I assume), the morels that
are particularly "aged" don't really rot away, they kind of just
dry up. Several had caps that were very dry and shriveled, but the
stalks were still moist.
	My question is: at what point are they no longer good
for picking (eating)? It seems this drying process is just
"sun drying", a process that most will receive at home, anyway.
Or does something ugly/unpleasant happen after a certain point
in the morel's little life.

just wonderin'
Wynn
slc, ut

---

From: [email-masked] (Lorelei Norvell)
Date: 4 May 1995 23:02:08 -0700

I too have reasoned that morels simply dry in situ.  But I have 
found that the very large morels that have been morels a lonnnnngggg 
while are very strong and taste terrible.  These usually will have 
somewhat orange stipes.  The stipes additionally will appear coarsely 
granular.  
	We also have noted that there appears to be a larger percentage 
of poisonings from drier areas of Oregon -- near the Blue Mountains -- 
every spring.  I suspect this may in fact be due to spoilage occurring on 
site.  
	My feeling is that if you recognize what a good morel tastes like 
-- and more importantly what a good morel smells like when fresh -- you 
probably won't go wrong.  
	Also -- I have found that what appears irresistible in the field 
often appears less than tempting in the kitchen.  It may have something 
to do with the abated fervor AFTER the hunt.

Lorelei Norvell

---

From: [email-masked] (CAVETOCAVE)
Date: 7 May 1995 16:03:55 -0400

one of the greatest dangers from eating wild mushrooms is from eating
overripe specimens.