Subject: PhD Scholarships

From: Cathie Stewart-Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Jul 1996 05:19:49 GMT

THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY
RESEARCH SCHOOL OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES

PhD Scholarships

Applications are invited from Australian citizens or permanent residents 
for two PhD  scholarships tenable in the Molecular and Population 
Genetics Group, Research School of  Biological Sciences.  Applicants 
should hold a BSc honours degree at upper second or first class level.  
One scholarship is for research in Dr Clark-Walker's laboratory studying 
the molecular genetics of yeast in relation to energy transducing 
mechanisms in mitochondria.  The other is for  research in Professor 
Gibson's laboratory to either work on evolutionary aspects of the 
regulation of gene expression in Drosophila, with particular reference 
to the gene encoding glycerophosphate  dehydrogenase, or on a project 
with Dr. A. Lohe using the transformation vector Mariner to identify 
novel genes involved in Drosophila development.  Both laboratories have 
excellent facilities.  Successful applicants will be given  the 
opportunity after their second year to present their results at an 
appropriate international  congress.  The PhD scholarship is for three 
years with a stipend of $15,364pa in 1996.

For further information contact Dr G.D. Clark-Walker, Phone: (06) 249 
4510 email [email-masked] or Professor J.B. Gibson, Phone: 
(06) 249 5085 email [email-masked].  For application 
forms contact the School Secretary, Research School of Biological 
Sciences, GPO Box 475, Canberra ACT 2601.

Closing date for applications:  30 August 1996