Subject: effects of pollution on fungal growth

From: "V." <@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:05:55 -0400

I am looking for information on the net regarding pollution and fungal
growth rates.  I would like to know of any programs or studies that are
using microbes of any kind to treat pollution.
Please email me your responses:
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jessie Micales)
Date: 18 Sep 1996 13:42:43 GMT

Much of the literature on endophytes concerns pollution effects - does 
pollution increase or decrease endophytic population.  The results have been 
mixed - sometimes you have more endophytes near a pollution source and 
sometimes you have less.  It probably depends upon which organisms are 
involved.  Check out:

Redlin, S.C. and Carris., L.M. 1996.  Endophytic fungi in grasses and woody 
plants.  APS Press, St. Paul Minn.223 pg.

Andrews, J.H. and Hirano, S.S.  1991.  Microbial ecology of leaves.  
Springer-Verlag, New York.  499 pp.

Fokkema, N.J. and Van Den Heuvel, J.  1986. Microbiology of the phyllosphere.  
Cambridge University Press, New York. 392 pp.

Good luck.

Jessie A. Micales
Forest Products Laboratory
Madison, WI