Subject: Guide guidance

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 21:28:01 GMT

Hello,

Some members of our local mycological society are struggling with field
guides that are, at the best of times, barely adequate.  Experts in our
group have a sense of some of the guides which are important and a few which
should be steered away from, and we plan to present this information to our 
members soon.  (Yes, we know about M. Demystified!).  But we were 
wondering if anyone out there has a ranking, rating, or similiar description 
of field guides that they would be willing to share with us (or 
bionet.mycology, for that matter).  No sense reinventing the wheel if someone
out there has already done it...  Field guides which include the Pacific 
Northwest are, of course, most relevant to us.  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (MycoWorld)
Date: 19 Mar 1995 00:36:39 -0500

"Mushroom, The Journal of Wild Mushrooming" included a review of 31 field
guides in their Spring 1993 Issue.   Categories included: North American
and Local (mostly USA)  with 'Beginners' and  'Intermediate and advanced'
as subcategories. Plus European - 'Intermediate and Advanced'.   Maggie
Rogers at   
[email-masked]   
is an editor and could give you more info.

Jerry Haugen, Editor
The Mushroom Growers' Newsletter
[email-masked]