Subject: antimicrobrials in plants

From: David Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Oct 1995 20:42:16 GMT

I am interested in assaying for and purifying antimicrobrial activity in 
plants.  I would appreciate any information on the following-
1.  Preparing extracts from plants.
2.  Streamlining assaying.
3.  Initial characterization steps when dealing with an activity for    
    which the type of molecule responsible is completely unknown.
4.  Useful journal articles (reviews?), books.
5.  Any other useful suggestions.

Please respond by e-mail to: [email-masked]
Thanks very much for your help.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 95 15:18:03 EDT

>Please respond by e-mail to: [email-masked]
 
Just Curious, are you interested in antimicrobials as a natural defense
against plant diseases or for antibiotic use in humans and/or animals?
 
In any account, you might try starting your search by searching for references
on phytoalexins.  These are antimicrobial compounds involved in induced
resistance responses in plants.  A general but good discussion of phytoalexins
and some protocols on their extraction, purification, and bioassay can be
found in the chapter "Mechanism of Resistance" in Part III: Biochemistry
and host-parasite relationships  in the text:  METHODS IN PHYTOBACTERIOLOGY
edited by Z. Klement, K. Rudolph, D. C. Sands.  1990.  Akademiai Kiado Pub.
Budapest, Hungary  (Text is in English)/
 
Hope this helps some.
 
R.D. Gitaitis
Dept. of Plant Pathology
University of Georgia