Subject: where is the good manual of fungi (molds)?

From: [email-masked] (r3603207)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 06:09:51 -0800

as title! Can anyone tell me where can I have a good exp handbook
of fungi or mold! Thanks!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 21 Feb 1995 22:28:38 -0800

> Anybody feel like putting a sharp illustrated key onto an
> interactive CD-RO

Yes, actually, I'd been fantasizing about that much of last semester, 
when I was taking a class in the microfungi.  It seems an anachronism to 
have to paw through a key when one is looking at an unfamiliar fungus 
with odd features.  If I'm looking at a fungus with phialophores which 
produce scolecospores, then I know that there can't be more than a very 
few genera that do this.  It would be a great improvement to simply click 
on 'type of conidiogenous cell' and 'spore/conidia type', and let the 
computer present me with a list of matches.  This list could then be 
searched manually (if short enough), or pared down by specifying more 
traits, or perhaps a key could be generated for the remaining taxa.

As a former (reformed?) software engineer, I think this would not be 
difficult (well, the key generation might be).  Is there a good source of 
digitized microphotographs around??

Curt
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (mspear)
Date: 21 Feb 1995 20:29:45 -0500

> of fungi or mold! Thanks!

I've been looking myself.  I assume you mean a taxonomical key to the
hyphomycetes.  I wish I had a great one to reccomend but I can point
only to a few that are pretty good.

The classic is Burnette, a blue spiral bound book found in a lot of
labs but no longer in print in think.  

I've got "General of the Hyphomycetes" by Carmichael et al.  Nice
drawings but no real key.

Von Arx is ok but has a very difficult key.

We just got a new one with a title something like, "A Pictorial Atlas
of Soil Fungi"  really great microphotography  (mycophotography?)  but
also a very difficult key.

I don't know your technical level but there is a very basic listing of
 the most common contaminats in recreational mushroom growing in
Stamete's first book.  

Hope this helps.  I hope someone posts something else that's really
great.  Anybody feel like putting a sharp illustrated key onto an
interactive CD-RO

    ---- Mark

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Feb 1995 15:58:40 GMT

>  labs but no longer in print in think.  
I have a grey spiral bound manual by Barnett & Hunter that is fairly good called
"Illustrated Genera of Imperfect Fungi." This is the fourth edition, but I have found
a few errors in the key (e.g. you can't get to Fusarium in the Moniliaceae key).
Ellis has two books out on dematiaceous hyphomycetes and there is a fairly good
book by Onions called "Smith's Introduction to Industrial Mycology" that deals with
most of the more common genera. Other than that most of the books I have are
monographs on individual genera.

Linda