Subject: Random Russula Dinner

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 8 Sep 1995 21:18:39 GMT

Greetings fellow mycophiles,
      While walking my Great Danes through a lovely stretch of urban 
seattle woods, I have noticed that it looks like a good beginning to 
mushroom season. I have found a few chanterelles here, and a spirasis 
crispa as well.  However, the woods are dominated by russulas.  Yesterday 
I came upon a group of Asian immigrants filling there buckets with 
virtually every species of russula they could find.  They apparently eat 
all of them, and have done so before.  This is not the first time I have 
seen this approach to mushroom hunting.  They did not include the common 
Aminita Pantherina in thier buckets, which was a relief to me.  I showed 
them my chanterelles, which they were not familiar with.  I will try and 
see what species of russulas are available, as I am curious to see if I 
can identify any poisonous species in my little woods. Normally, except 
for Xerampilina I ignore this genus as much as possible.  Are others 
familiar with this random russula approach to mushroom hunting?  I have 
seen it practiced on at least 5 occaisons, and always by immigrants from 
Asia.  While I do think that the typical mycophobic American attitude is 
silly, this non-discriminating approach seems to take mycophilia a bit 
too far.  Has anyone heard of poisonings occuring to this group of bold 
mushroomers?
-
  JIM BERLSTEIN  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Webster)
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 95 02:47:42 GMT

Seems like I remember a couple of people in Portland eating something 
that disagreed with them a couple years ago. I seem to recall that it was an 
amanita, but don't remember which one. 
 I'm in Yakima, on the dry side of the Cascades. Sounds like it might be time 
for me to take a trip up into the hills this weekend. I'd like to hit the 
chanterelles for once, I usually do ok with the boletes but never get more 
than a couple of the chanterelles. 
 I'd like to know more about the russalas too. There are so many around. There 
used to be a mycological club here in Central Washington, but I haven't been 
able to find if they exist anymore.

	Alan

---

From: [email-masked] (Barnaby Dellar)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 1995 14:44:25 GMT

> too far.  Has anyone heard of poisonings occuring to this group of bold 

There are some poisonous russulas - mostly red-capped ones. 

But yes, I have picked random russulas. Some of them are a bit bland, and some are
quite peppery, but I've never found enough of just one species to merit collecting
them individually. This is in Scotland, by the way. I don't know what sort of
poisonous russulas you get anywhere else.

Barnaby Dellar.

---

From: [email-masked] (UNICORNbag)
Date: 13 Sep 1995 20:49:50 -0400

What about getting some micro-vented bags from us, and cultivate the
mushroom you lik, so you guys don't have to hunt. Thinking  about it, you
guys may miss the hit and miss exitment, and the walking exercise, but
then, you can still walk the woods, but look up to appreciate the
wonderful sky, the birds, the moon and who knows what else up there.
Lou Hsu
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (BrianMc)
Date: 14 Sep 1995 14:28:04 -0400

Aren't Russulas great?  I find them endlessly fascinating, despite the
lack
of good edibles (outside the occasional R. xerampelina, or R.
cyanoxantha). Sadly since they're almost exclusively mycorhizzal,
cultivation isn't yet an
option.

The random approach to Russula probably won't cause great harm.  The WORST
Russulas have a emetic effect, which while upsetting isn't
life-threatening.  Most of the inedible species are acrid/hot (tasting a
partion of the cap is
an occupational hazard when identifying Russula.

Maybe you should ask the Koreans how they prepare them!

Ben Woo, of the Pacific Northwest Key Council has written an excellent key
for the Northwestern US:

Pacific Northwest Key Council
1943 SE Locust Ave.
Portland, OR  97201-2250
USA

This is a fine source of regional keys for Washinton, Idaho, Oregon and
British Columbia.  Be sure to ask for a complete list of available keys. 
PNWKC is a non-profit educational organization, and the keys are quite
reasonably priced.

----------------------------------------------------------
| Brian McNett                   e-mail: <[email-masked]>
| Editor: MycoInfo      <[email-masked]>
|                          Submissions: <[email-masked]> 
|        Promoting Mycology in the Online Community

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Berlstein)
Date: 14 Sep 1995 23:33:08 GMT

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to me in this thread or in 
e-mail.  It seems that there are many who will eat almost all russulas 
except emetica (which I have not seen in my local woods).  Once in a 
while, the internet really can be useful for sharing information.
-
  JIM BERLSTEIN, B.F.D.-      [email-masked]