Subject: Internet Fungi ID Test (third try)

From: [email-masked] (John S. Watson - FSC)
Date: 18 Jun 1996 20:45:07 GMT

Hello,

I'm very sorry if you've seen this more than once 
(but I'm pretty sure because of a busted news server it
hasn't gotten out yet ...)

Last weekend I found some mushrooms in the Sierra near Yosemite
growing on the ground at about the 7000' level.   

I'm pretty sure I know what they are, at least down to 
the genera, but as a sort of net experiment, 
I've digitize it's image with a video camera, 
to see if anyone in this group provide me with some confirmation.

I've  put the JPEG image file into my WWW homepage directory area,
at:
     http://pioneer.arc.nasa.gov/~watson/mush.jpg

so if you have a chance, could you please take a look
and see what species it is.

Thanks,
John

John S. Watson                  
NASA Ames Research Center MS/257-7, Moffett Field, CA 94035
http://ccf.arc.nasa.gov/~watson

"If aquarium gravel is so bad for you, how come it tastes so good?"
                          --- Ralph Wiggum

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Wood)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:36:36 GMT

>to see if anyone in this group provide me with some confirmation.

It's in the genus Ramaria. Probably the most common spring/early
summer Ramaria in the Sierras is Ramaria rasilispora...but I can't
tell from the photo.

 |    Michael Wood   Paradigm Micro Systems    |
 |    [email-masked]     San Leandro, CA USA    |
 |       <http://www.bdt.com/home/mwood/>      |
 |<http://www.bdt.com/home/mwood/mycology.html>|