Subject: fluorescent fungus

From: Heidi Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:44:23 +1000

Hi,
I've been looking at fungi from the phylloplane of (Opuntia spp.) and I 
have isolated a fungus which, when grown on PDA, releases some sort of 
fluorescent chemical into the media when viewed under near UV light.  
Does anyone know anything about these fungi.  I would welcome any 
information.

Heidi Martin 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Doug Rice)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 14:56:14 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Heidi Martin <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: Heidi Martin <[email-masked]>
>Subject: fluorescent fungus
>Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:44:23 +1000

>[email-masked]

Most mycotoxins flouresce.
Good luck with your search!
Doug

Douglas A. Rice
CSU-Environmental Quality Laboratory Director
Applied microbiology of food, air, water and soil.
[email-masked]
voice:  (970) 491-6503
"Moderation is for Monks, take big bites out of life."
--Lazarus

---

From: [email-masked] (Regis.Courtecuisse)
Date: 18 Mar 1996 15:08:56 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...
>[email-masked]

Hi !

Have you an idea of the group in which belongs your fungus ?

Much work has been done on luminous agarics (gilled fungi). Most of the 
species seem to belong in Tricholomatales and derivatives. For example, 
leet's cite :
Armillaria mellea, Omphalotus olearius, Lampteromyces japonicus, many 
Mycena species (especially in Southern and Eastern Hemispheres), some 
Panellus and others...
I have no recent review of the subject at hand without looking especially 
for it, but I can give you some classical references, especially the 
works by E.J.H.Corner : 
Corner E.J.H. -1950- Descriptions of two luminous tropical agarics 
(Dictyopanus and Mycena). Mycologia 42(3):423-431
Corner E.J.H. -1954- Further descriptions of luminous agarics. 
Trans.Brit.Mycol.soc. 37(3):256-271
Wassink E.C. -1948- Observations on the luminescence in fungi 1. 
Including a critical review of the species mentioned as luminescent in 
literature. Rec.Trav.Bot.Neerl. 41:150-212
Josserand M. -1953- Sur la luminescence de Mycena rorida en Europe 
Occidentale. Bull.mens.Soc.Linn.Lyon 22:99-102

	Further search for data on the topic along my files could be 
fruitful as well, but more time-consuming. Let me know if you need more.

	Regards.

	Regis.