Subject: Lycoperdon "stems" = morel taste???

From: "Ralph D. Arnold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 96 00:55:35 PST

I recently read in a identification_/cook_book that the STERILE BASE of
these species, when cooked seperately from the puffballs, taste
remarkably like M*O*R*E*L*S.

Lycoperdon pyriforma (Pear-shaped Puffball)
Lycoperdon perlatum (Common Puffball; Gemmed Puffball)

  Since these species appear to be easier to artifically fruit than 
Morchella, this presents an interesting prospect.

Have you noticed this taste-feature?

Are you aware on anyone researching the cultivation of these species?

Best regards!

Ralph Arnold  <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Xerula)
Date: 22 May 1996 13:16:34 -0400

I appreciate your reference to mine and Alan Bessette's "Edible Wild
Mushrooms of North America" (1992, Univ. of Texas Press).  Do me a favor,
though, Ralph; next time, cite the book... OK?  Royalties aren't all that
much to help support my studies!  Thanks  --Dave Fischer