Subject: Postdoctoral Position

From: [email-masked] (Jay C. Dunlap)
Date: 18 Oct 1996 07:51:05 -0700

****POSTDOCTORAL POSITION - FUNGAL MOLECULAR BIOLOGY******

We are seeking to identify and recruit a postdoctoral colleague to join in our
joint lab effort to understand  the circadian clock system of Neurospora
crassa.   

We have several ongoing projects, ranging from identification of novel clock
genes, to mapping and cloning of known clock genes, to dissection of the signal
transduction pathway responsible for clock entrainment, to reverse genetics of
previously cloned genes such as frequency, to analysis of the mechanisms
through which clock-regulated target genes are transcriptionally controlled. 
Of particular interest now, we would like to pursue biochemical studies on the
clock protein FRQ, an ideal project for someone with biochemical expertise.  

Some references to recent work are the following:
Dunlap, J. C. (1993) "Genetic Analysis of Circadian Clocks", Annual Review of
Physiology 55:  683 - 728.
Dunlap, J. C.  Genetic and Molecular Analysis of Circadian Rhythms,  Annual
Review of Genetics 30:  579 - 601, 1997 - IN PRESS
Loros, J. The Molecular Basis of the Neurospora Clock, Seminars in
Neurosciences 7, 3-14, 1995
Aronson, B., Johnson, K., J. Loros, and J. C. Dunlap.  1994.  Negative Feedback
Defining a Circadian Clock:  Autoregulation of the Clock Gene frequency,
Science, 263, 1578 - 1584 
Crosthwaite, S., Loros, J. J. and J. C. Dunlap. 1995.  Light-Induced Resetting
of a Circadian Clock is Mediated by a Rapid Increase in frequency  Transcript,
Cell 81, 1003 - 1012
Bell-Pedersen, D., Dunlap, J. C.  and J. J. Loros. 1996. Distinct cis-acting
elements mediate clock, light, and developmental regulation of the Neurospora
crassa  eas (ccg-2) gene. Molecular and Cellular Biology 16, 513 - 521.
Bell-Pedersen, D., Shinohara, M., Loros, J., and J. C. Dunlap.  1996. Circadian
clock-controlled genes Isolated from Neurospora crassa are morning-specific. 
PNAS  in press

Based on our previous experiences, we  expect successful candidate(s) will be
(in order of importance) 
(1) easy to get along with, and able to interact well among the other dozen of
us,   
(2) hard working and self motivated,  
(3) published,  
(4) smart, and
(5) knowledgeable about molecular biology.

If this is you,  please have a current CV sent to one of us, along with the
names, addresses, and phone numbers of three scientists who know you well and
with whom we can have frank discussions.
If you know of someone like this, please forward this message.

NIH pay scale, position available as soon as the right person(s) turn up.

Jay C. Dunlap  or 			
Jennifer J. Loros
Department of Biochemistry
Dartmouth Medical School
Hanover, NH  03755-3844