Subject: Eating Grain Spawn

From: [email-masked] (nyles)
Date: 4 Jun 1996 02:53:27 GMT

Every time I go out and innoculate a substrate using my
homemade grain spawn I always end up eating some.
To me it tastes great.
I was thinking about cooking up some second generation
spawn I had laying around (Maitake, Pleurotus and Ganoderma).

Does anyone know if this is safe?
In the case of Maitake and Reishi, do you still derive the medicinal
benefits?

Thanks

Nyles

---

From: [email-masked] (Weasel Tracks)
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 19:25:14 -0500

> homemade grain spawn I always end up eating some.
<deleted>
> In the case of Maitake and Reishi, do you still derive the medicinal

People often eat psilocybe spawn, apparently without harm. With flowering
plants, there's considerable variance in concentration of particular
substances, thus the medicinal recipes which call for particular parts:
roots, bark, leaves, etc. With fungi, I think the mycelium is more uniform
in chemical distribution, be it fuzz or fruitbody. However, I think I
remember that interferon is most concentrated in shiitake spores, and
you're not supposed to wash morels if you can help it because the flavor
is concentrated in the spores. Perhaps spores are an exception to this.
Check out the literature and see how much the spores matter in these
medicinals.

   ---Weasel Tracks

-- 
Telling the truth when    | "I'm just a sucker for recursive logic."
   I say that I am lying, |
no one believes me.       | http://home.earthlink.net/~weaseltrax

--pseudohaiku by Vincent Grzybowski

---

From: [email-masked] (C.Briggs)
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 23:17:26 -0500

> 
> People often eat psilocybe spawn, apparently without harm.

How much of this spawn would be equivalent to a dried gram of 
Cubensis mushroom?

---

From: [email-masked] (xyzzyx)
Date: 14 Jun 1996 05:43:23 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
>Check out the literature and see how much the spores matter in these

Interferon in shiitake spores???   Really???  Can you give me a reference on this?