Subject: Need info on LactoPhenol Blue

From: [email-masked] (Robert Lejeune)
Date: 11 Sep 1995 14:11:15 GMT

Hello

I would like any info, references, pointers,... on Lactophenol Blue (Merck 
cat Nbr 13741).
What is the dye used in this solution? (The dye is identified as C.I. 
42780 on the bottle).
Is it Trypan Blue? (I have a paper by Rhigelato et al. (1968), J. Gen. 
Microb. 50:399 in which staining of filamentous fungi with 'trypan blue in 
lactophenol' is described).
What part of the cells gets stained, and what makes it specific for 
filamentous fungi?
Is the staining intensity dependent on the physiological state of the cell 
(before it was fixed)?

Thanks

Robert Lejeune
Dep. Chem. Eng. - Free Univ. Brussels

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Herman)
Date: 12 Sep 1995 09:57:24 GMT

Robert Lejeune ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hello

: I would like any info, references, pointers,... on Lactophenol Blue (Merck 
: cat Nbr 13741).
: What is the dye used in this solution? (The dye is identified as C.I. 
: 42780 on the bottle).

I am not sure about the Merck product but the most common blue dy that 
mycologists use with lactophenol is cotton blue

--
************************************************************************
R. Peter Herman				email	[email-masked]
Sveriges Lantbruksuniversitet		Phone:	+46 18 67 12 20
Inst. f. Markvetenskap			Fax:	+46 18 67 27 95
S750 07 Uppsala, Sweden		
************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] ("K N and P J Harris")
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 09:12:59 GMT

Could be Trypan Blue but the commonest stain in this configuration in my 
experience is Cotton Blue.
Lactophenol is an old old traditional stain but not the most pleasant, 
especially if the stain has to be heated at any stage as the phenol 
fumes are very unpleasant. For Mycorrhizal staining where we DO use 
trypan blue (seems to work best) we have swopped to a glycerine based 
stain acidified with a little hydrochloric acid - works fine and is much 
more pleasant to use.
Peter Harris.
Dept of Soil Science,
Reading University, UK.
AKA [email-masked]