Subject: Re: Spring fruiting of Amanita spp.

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Stoecker)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 11:25:11 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Joshchan)
wrote:

> Does anyone have any information on the time frame or the general areas of
> the West coast where Amanita spp. fruit in the spring. In Audobon's it is
> stated that A. pantherina is found in the month of June in northern
> California. Any info regarding this subject would be most appreciated.
> Please post answers to this newsgroup or e-mail me at [email-masked]
> thanks!
>  

Amanita pantherina is out in Washington State right now.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joshchan)
Date: 24 May 1995 13:37:34 -0400

---

From: [email-masked] (Nathan Wilson)
Date: 24 May 1995 13:18:38 -0700

> the West coast where Amanita spp. fruit in the spring.

It really depends on which species you're talking about and where in
the state.  I have probably found Amanitas every month of the year
(not certain about July and August).  The spring is a particularly
productive time for the species A. velosa, A. ocreata, A. novinupta,
A. "calyptrata" (spring form) and a couple of species in the
A. pantherina/A. gemmata complex.  Given that you are looking in the
Audubon guide you may not have Arora's "Mushrooms Demystified" which
is by far the best general field guide for Western fungi.  In
particular, it discusses the habitats and fruiting times of all the
species listed above.

At the moment the A. velosa have pretty much disappeared, A. novinupta
(used to be considered A. rubescens) is still being found
occasionally.  A. ocreata is also tapering off.  A. "calyptrata" is
just getting started in the mountains.  I found a couple of beautiful
buttons in the San Bernardino mountains last weekend.

If you want more info, feel free to send me more email.

Nathan Wilson
Minister Emeritus
Fungus Federation of Santa Cruz
[email-masked]

---

From: Thomas O'Dell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 09:53:02 -0700

> Please post answers to this newsgroup or e-mail me at [email-masked]
In Western Washington A. pantherina can start in January, this year I 
think it was Febuary in Seattle and I saw one a couple of days ago...
I found an unidentified white amanita section vaginatae a couple of weeks 
ago in the Willamette Valley, OR.
Some species (cokeri/caeseria, for exaple) are much later. Also, at high 
elevations you can find gemmata/pantherina variants all summer...
What is your interest?

[email-masked]