Subject: Chanterelles: what's the best way to preserve?

From: Paul Klym <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 20:06:25 -0700

We have a whole bunch of Chanterelles. I'm looking for opinions on the
best way to preserve them. Drying, freezing, canning??? We like eating
them "straight", or, in simple pasta.

Responses greatly appreciated,

Paul Klym

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Wood)
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 15:34:59 GMT

>them "straight", or, in simple pasta.
Don't  dry them, they do not reconstitute well...unless you are fond
of rubber!

Slice or chop, saute, and freeze. They are almost as good as fresh
this way. 

 |    Michael Wood   Paradigm Micro Systems    |
 |    [email-masked]    San Leandro, CA USA    |
 |        <http://www.dnai.com/~mwood/>        |
 |    <http://www.dnai.com/~mwood/mykoweb/>    |

---

From: JeremyBrowne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 96 17:44:25 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] "Paul Klym" writes:

> We have a whole bunch of Chanterelles.
YOU LUCKY THINGS!

> I'm looking for opinions on the best way to preserve them.
> Drying, freezing, canning??? We like eating them "straight",
> or, in simple pasta.

You could preserve them in oil:
1. Clean & slice 450g.
2. Boil in 300ml of water with 200ml wine vinegar for 8 mins.
3. Put in sterile, airtight jar(s) with half a cinnamon stick,
   6 peppercorns, 2 cloves, 1 garlic clove. 
4. Add a bay leaf & fill up with extra virgin olive oil (mild) 
5. Seal & keep in cool, dark place.

Looks pretty good, that! :-)
-- 
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
[email-masked]
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)

---

From: Tom Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 14:02:52 -0700

David N. Gaines wrote:
> 
> Do you know of any good way to handle maggot infested chanterelles.  I
> have sliced them and soaked them in salt water.   That seems to get rid

If you chop some shallots and add them to your saute, the maggots 
just "disappear".

-- 
Tom Johnston
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David N. Gaines)
Date: 6 Sep 1996 14:42:53 GMT

Do you know of any good way to handle maggot infested chanterelles.  I 
have sliced them and soaked them in salt water.   That seems to get rid 
of the fly maggots pretty well but the mushrooms then become hydrophilic 
(are soggy and difficult to dry out) and cook up mushier than I would 
like.  I suppose your method gets rid of the maggots, does it leave you 
with a firm, fleshy, fungal fruitification in the end?  do you drain them 
before you put them in the jar?.

David

---

From: Rork Kuick <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Sep 1996 16:50:07 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Paul Klym, [email-masked]
writes:
> best way to preserve them. 

I am not a mycologists, but have pity,  and so suggest that we
pot-hunters 
and shroom cooks, take our non-scientific talk to another sector, perhaps
alt.nature.mushrooms, and let these folks get on with their work before
they
give us a spanking.
(I agree with make a partial sauce and freeze then, or Fed-Ex to me.)
    awaiting the B. edulis stirp in michigan with drooling maw, rork.

---

From: [email-masked] (David N. Gaines)
Date: 9 Sep 1996 18:24:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
says...
>
>>[email-masked] writes:

Nonsense, this is a news group for all aspects of mycology.  What better 
place to discuss what one can do with mushrooms (cooking, preserving, 
eating, hunting, growing, etc. etc.) than right here at  bionet.mycology. 
 If people want a site where they can discuss strictly scientific 
subjects, they can start a purely science related group. After all, most 
people who are interested in mycology appreciate the various things that 
can be done with fungi.  Fungi are not merely experimental subjects.
Of course if you want to try to start up a new news group, that would be 
fine too.
 
David

---

From: Rork Kuick <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 1996 13:34:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> David N. Gaines, [email-masked]
writes:
> subjects, they can start a purely science related group. 
  My experience suggests bionet newsgroups are pretty scientific.  If I 
were discussing YAC contigs for human chromosome 1 in
bionet.molbio.genome-
I would not want folks asking whether these yeast strains make good beer.
<no offense Grizzly Peak>

>After all, most 
  As I indicated there may be such a news group.  I, and I think others,
would
be more prone to respond at length about cooking and picking if I did not
feel
trepidation at mucking it up for the serious.  I have withheld responses
many times till now, feeling that it is inappropriate to add mere
mycophagy
to a mycology newsgroup.
   I could be wrong, I admit.  Next time, heavy cream sauces, how to make
Semelkno:del and Spa:tzle fu:r pilzgehrichte, and german mushroom jokes,
       rork kuick.

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Robb Siegel)
Date: 10 Sep 1996 10:42:27 -0700

> alt.nature.mushrooms, and let these folks get on with their work before

Seems we had the scientist vs shroomhunter discussion about a year ago.  
The consensus was that this group was both for experts and for people who 
didn't know asci from ASCII.  I'd like to see it stay that way.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mycos)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 19:20:28 GMT

>David

So Chanterelles are infested with moggots on the east coast are they?
I'm from B.C. and I don't believe I've every seen a Chanty with a
moggot of any sort in them. Tee Hee heee. I once saw a larvae with a
paculiarly conspiratorial look on it face (?).  Naturally of course, I
had to kill it. Haven't seen one since. Go figure!

                                              Gary Williams

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Galvan)
Date: 10 Sep 1996 23:26:18 -0700

In article <[email-masked]>,

>Do you know of any good way to handle maggot infested chanterelles.  I 

Last fall 2 of our local mushroom club luminaries travelled from San 
Francisco to somewhere in New Mexico to hunt 'shrooms after 
mountain thunderstorms.  They scored big time on boletes.  Problem became 
getting them home sans spoilage.   So much of the pick went into coolers 
along with some *dry* ice.  When they got home, all the mushroom maggots 
had died, apparently from breathing too much CO2!

try that...

Bob Galvan
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David Bartolotta)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 08:37:56 GMT

>                                              Gary Williams

Hmmm.  My thoughts are that the East Coast and West Coast Chanterelles
are really different species.  The West Coast Chanterelles are mud
encrusted at times with NO larvae on or in them.  The East Coast
Chanterelles are very clean (no dirt) and loved by the local larvae.

That's my humble opinion (got the info from Arora) and hope it helps.

David Bartolotta

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Harry Lehto)
Date: 11 Sep 1996 06:59:37 GMT

Mycos ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (David N. Gaines) wrote:
: 
: >Do you know of any good way to handle maggot infested chanterelles.  I 
: >have sliced them and soaked them in salt water.   That seems to get rid
 
Absolutely sure you have proper chantarelles? "maggot infested
chantarelles" sounds suspicious to me. I don't want to flame, but just want
to caution that even with chantarelles one has to **know** that it is what
they are. I believe it was in the '70 that some people in Scotland picked
and ate deadly Cortinarius species as chantarelles.

Harry J Lehto
Kaarina, Finland

---

From: Rork Kuick <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Sep 1996 17:09:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Harry Lehto, [email-masked] writes:
> chantarelles" sounds suspicious to me.

In my area (southern michigan) the shroom I take to be C. cibarius
will sometimes have pin-holes from larvae if they are old.  
I take it as a sign that I should have been there earlier and cry. 
 It is particularly true in years when they come early, late july or
early august here, and when they are pretty big (cap >2 inches broad).
The shroom can stand in its spot for weeks in the right weather, so
it's not amazing that something gets to them (besides the damn deer).
My shrooms come in white oak family members, prefering north faces 
with old-growth characteristics (big trees, downed timber). 
 96 has been a crap year here, no rain in July or August to speak of.
I agree that in europe insect infestation seems rarer (I know only
Bavaria and Austria) but the shrooms I know there are smaller, not 
like a shot glass, and the environment quite different.
   Newly emboldened to add ~2 cents,  rork the mycophagist.

---

From: [email-masked] (JeremyBrowne)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 21:41:10 GMT

> > pot-hunters and shroom cooks, take our non-scientific talk to
> > another sector, perhaps alt.nature.mushrooms, and let these
> > folks get on with their work ...

> didn't know asci from ASCII.  I'd like to see it stay that way.

Scientists need to be kept in the real world: let them stay!
Pot & belly fillers need scientific rigor. Let them stay! 

It's SO much easier to talk to a German, a Frenchman, a Norwegian or what have 
you, about mushrooms, if you can learn them by their Latin names and scientific 
identification, I'm all in favour of keeping this a mixed group.

Besides, it's intriguing to realise that dry rot, ergot and ceps are all in one 
category! :-)

---

From: [email-masked] (HENRY E. KILPATRICK JR.)
Date: 12 Sep 1996 11:29:54 GMT

David Bartolotta ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (Mycos) wrote:

: >So Chanterelles are infested with moggots on the east coast are they?
: >I'm from B.C. and I don't believe I've every seen a Chanty with a
: >moggot of any sort in them. Tee Hee heee. I once saw a larvae with a
: >paculiarly conspiratorial look on it face (?).  Naturally of course, I
: >had to kill it. Haven't seen one since. Go figure!

: Hmmm.  My thoughts are that the East Coast and West Coast Chanterelles
: are really different species.  The West Coast Chanterelles are mud
: encrusted at times with NO larvae on or in them.  The East Coast
: Chanterelles are very clean (no dirt) and loved by the local larvae.

That's my impression of the situation also, although the few chanterelles
I found in Colorado in August were infested by larvae.  However, they were
a bit beyond their prime.  The 80-90 pounds I found in the Mid-Atlantic
were generally infested (and, by past experience, usually are).  The most
productive month for chanterelles in this area is July when the
temperatures are in the 80s and 90s - good insect conditions. 

--
Buddy Kilpatrick

---

From: Darin Burleigh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:04:50 -0500

> That's my humble opinion (got the info from Arora) and hope it helps.

last summer we found them east-coast-ish ( no mud! ) but early
enough that they were larva-less. yum yum.

---

From: [email-masked] (William Hunt)
Date: 13 Sep 96 12:49:31 GMT

>Chanterelles are very clean (no dirt) and loved by the local larvae.

	i forage chanterelles for my table mostly out of the Cascades 
	east of Portland Oregon, and sometimes along the Oregon coast, 
	and i don't remember ever finding larval infestation, at least
	not in anything i collected, but i avoid aging specimens :*)

	there is a little black spider that seems to often make it's 
	home among chants under duff, but i've never noticed any kind 
	of fly activity in or around the mushroom.

	there is a blue mold which attacks sooner or later, depending
	on the moisture level, but otherwise, uncollected chants seem 
	to decay very slowly.

	also, there doesn't seem to be much competition from the four
	-leggeds.  wildlife seems to prefer russula and amanita.

	unfortunately, most of my favourite old chanterelle sites have
	been clear-cut over the last two years and i haven't found any
	new sites to replace them.  (Mt. Hood National Forest).

--
William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA		[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gabriela P. Svatos)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 22:47:05 GMT

Paul Klym ([email-masked]) wrote:
: We have a whole bunch of Chanterelles. I'm looking for opinions on the
: best way to preserve them. Drying, freezing, canning??? We like eating
: them "straight", or, in simple pasta.

: Responses greatly appreciated,

: Paul Klym
All three methods work well for chanterelles.  If they are large and 
overgrown, drying is usually my preferred.  For freezing, be sure to 
clean and blanch them first.  My favourite way to eat them is pickling 
the small and firm ones.  They make a wonderful appetizer.

Gabriela

---

From: [email-masked] (Mycos)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 00:15:34 GMT

I should add that Paul is very, very good at what he does and his
opinions should be taken a second look at, at least!

---

From: [email-masked] (Mycos)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 00:11:55 GMT

It's odd that you should mention that you feel C. cibarius to be
perhaps different or at least a complex of species.  I have a friend
at the VMS who, when I last spoke to him last at least (don't want to
be putting current words in his mouth in case he's changed his mind),
who feels the cibarius locally, (Vancouver, Lower Mainland) may indeed
be a complex at least. If you want to check further along that line,
try contacting Paul Kroeger at the VMS (Vancouver Mycological
Society).
                                 Gary Williams