Subject: New Publication

From: "Ralph D. Arnold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 12:11:44 PST

The following publication is now available from the US Forest Service.
I encourage you to obtain a copy of it.
///////////////////////////////////////////
Title:
Managing forest ecosystems to conserve fungus diversity and sustain wild
mushroom harvests.  

Edited by David Pilz and Randy Molina
U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service
Pacific Northwest Research Station  
General Technical Report  (PNW-GTR-371)  Portland, OR.  1996. 104 pages.

Abstract:
Ecosystem management is the dominant paradigm for managing the forests of the
Pacific Northwest.  It integrates biological, ecological, geophysical, and
silvicutural information to develop adaptive management practices that conserve
biological diversity and maintain ecosystem functioning while meeting human
needs for the sustainable production of forest products.  Fungi are important
components of forest ecosystem management because they perform essential
ecological functions, many species are associated with late-successional
forests, and commercial harvest of wild edible mushrooms contributes
significantly to the regional economy.

Inventory and monitoring provide essential information for improving management
decisions, but fungi present a unique set of sampling challenges.  To address
these unique challenges, a conference entitled "Ecosystem Management of Forest
Fungi" was convened May 3 & 4, 1994 in Corvallis, Oregon.  This publication
describes the forest management context of fungus inventory and monitoring
issues, summarizes the mycological studies presented at the conference, and
provides a synopsis of audience discussion.  A common understanding of the
challenges encountered when studying forest fungi will facilitate the planning
and accomplishment of inventory and monitoring activities by improving
communication among concerned individuals, interest groups and land managers.

Keywords:  Fungi, mushrooms, ecosystem management, forest management, inventory,
monitoring, biodiversity, special forest products, mycorrhizae

A copy of this publication may be obtained by contacting:

USDA Forest Service
Pacific Northwest Research Station
333 SW First Avenue
P.O. Box 3890
Portland, OR  97208-3890
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

---

From: JeremyBrowne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 14:36:27 GMT

Hi Ralph,
You omitted to say how much the report costs! It certainly looks useful.
Jeremy

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Ralph D. Arnold" writes:
> "Managing forest ecosystems to conserve fungus diversity and sustain wild
> mushroom harvests"
 
> A copy of this publication may be obtained from: 
> USDA Forest Service

-- 
Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
[email-masked]
Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 621745)

---

From: Thomas O'Dell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:17:20 -0700

``Free! while supplies last. our tax dollars at work
[email-masked]

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996,

> > Pacific Northwest Research Station

[email-masked]
Dr. Thomas E. O'Dell, Ph.D.
Dept. of Botany, Box 355325
University of Washington
Seattle, WA, 98195-5325