Subject: Chanterelle?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Sep 1995 20:24:20 -0700

I am trying to put Chanterelles into culture and have a question concerning
how to identify the mycelium. I took some central tissue from a young
Cantharellus cibarius and plated it into MEA agar containing amoxicillin.
Bacterial growth was evident and probably due to the resident bacteria. On
several plates a slow growing mycellium grew out from the zone of bacteria.
It looks like many other I have in culture and not like a mold. White,
branching, non-aerial. I transfered this non-bacterial zone to DCR media (a
plant tissue culture media designed for conifers) as I thought it would help
mimic in vivo conditions. Indeed growth is somewhat faster and thicker.
 Anybody have Chanterelle in culture who could suggest a way to i.d. it?
 Thanks Mike Ziegler.

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:40:14 GMT

> Anybody have Chanterelle in culture who could suggest a way to i.d. it?

Even if you do DNA tests, you are likely to get heavy bacterial contamination 
of the original material to be compared.  See:

Danell, E., Alstromm, S., and Ternstrom, A. 1993. Psuedomonas fluorescnes
in association with fruit bodies of the ectomycorrhizal mushroom
Cantharellus cibarius. Mycol. Res. (9):1148-1152.

If you are getting pretty good results with your t.c. medium, you might
try casting spores on it and isolating a pure colony for a quick DNA
comparison.  You would still have to watch out for contaminants, but
colonies germinating from typical Chanterelle-type spores should be the
least suspect.  You can stick a de-stemmed cap to a Petri dish cover with
some petroleum jelly or the like, replace the cover, and let the spores
drop for a little while.  Even if they do not grow, the dropped spores
might be a cleaner source of DNA.  Other t.c.-type medium, including liquid 
media, for Chanterelle growth are mentioned in:

Straatsma, G. and Van Griensven, J.L.D. 1986. Growth requirements of
mycelial cultures of the mycorrhizal mushroom Cantharellus cibarius.
Trans. Br. Mycol. Soc. 87 (1):135-141.

There are probably lots of other more recent references- I haven't looked
in a while.  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 11:48:24 PDT

In article <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> 
writes:
> Path: 
ns.via.nl!oce.nl!Utrecht.NL.net!sun4nl!EU.net!howland.reston.ans.net!swrinde!sg
igate.sgi.com!olivea!biosci!aol.com!MZieg1234
> From: [email-masked]
> Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
> Subject: Chanterelle?
> Date: 12 Sep 1995 20:24:20 -0700
> Organization: BIOSCI International Newsgroups for Molecular Biology
> Lines: 11
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Distribution: world
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: net.bio.net
> 

Approximately 10 years ago Gerben Straatsma, then a Ph.D student, carried out a 
number of studies on the cultivation of C.cibarius. Strain collection and 
identification were published as Straatsma, G., Konings, R.N.H. & Van Griensven 
L.J.L.D. (1985) A strain collection of the mycorrhizal mushroom C.cibarius 
obtained by germination of spores and culture of fruit body tissue. Trans. Br. 
Mycol. Soc. 85, 689-697. Later it was found that C. grows best at high CO2 
concentratio. See: Straatsma, G. & Van Griensven, L.J.L.D.(1986) Growth 
requirements of mycelial cultures of the mycorrhizal mushroom Cantharellus 
cibarius Fr. Trans. Br. Mycol.Soc.87,135-141.Later the work was extended by 
Lynn Moore: Moore, L.M., Jansen,A.E. & Van Griensven, L.J.L.D. (1990) Pure 
culture synthesis of ectomycorrhizas with Cantharellus cibarius. Acta Bot. 
Neerland. 38, 273-278. The latter was really promising but continuation was not 
funded.
Hope you may be able to use this.
Leo J. Van Griensven.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 12:17:37 PDT