Subject: Science Education Survey

From: [email-masked] (Michael J. Motal)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 02:54:46 GMT

Greetings to all!
 
As part of a graduate class in the History and Philosophy of 
Science Education, I am endeavoring to get a small snapshot of
opinions some of you have regarding your experiences in teaching
science to non-scientists. 
 
This is not meant to be an exhaustive questionnaire and is there-
fore brief.  I am eliciting ideas to use as a springboard for 
further exploration in the class.

Please return via e-mail to [email-masked].  Thank you in
advance for your help.
 
-Michael
*************************************************************** 
1. Do you have any ideas or thoughts on how to build and retain
students' interest in science as they move through their 
education?

2. What effect, if any, do you feel incorporating the social and 
political framework surrounding the pursuit of science would 
have on students' interest in science?

3. Were you exposed to the social and political framework 
surrounding scientific discoveries as you learned of them?
If yes, give an example that you feel fits this scenario.

4. Do you feel that the general science you teach has any relevance 
for your students? By this I mean science courses designed for 
non-science majors, necessary to the student only to fulfill the 
degree requirements imposed by the university or school district.
If so, why?  If not, why not?

5. Any additional thoughts or comments?
 
*************************************************************** 
And just so I know a little about the respondents, a couple of 
slightly personal questions.
 
How long have you been teaching science?

What level do you teach (e.g. high school, college)?
-- 
=============================================================================
[email-masked]

T6C8L2s hl d- a- w-- c+ yk+ s- m1 m2 q-
=============================================================================