Subject: International Workshop on Molecular Epidemiology (fwd)

From: Ananias Escalante <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:48:16 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 29 APR 1996 21:01:21 -0700 
From: Listas Ecologia Biologia <[email-masked]>
Newgroups: fr.bio.biolmol, alt.med.veterinary, sci.med.diseases.lyme,
    fj.sci.medical, fj.sci.bio, de.sci.medizin, sci.med, de.sci.biologie,
    sci.bio.microbiology, bionet.virology, bionet.parasitology,
    bionet.molbio.hiv, bionet.microbiology
Subject: International Workshop on Molecular Epidemiology (fwd) 

PRE-REGISTRATION FORM:

INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON MOLECULAR
EPIDEMIOLOGY AND EVOLUTIONARY GENETICS OF PATHOGENIC MICROORGANISMS

LOCATION  CDC, Clifton Road,  Atlanta, GA
          June 17-19, 1996         

 APPLICATION PROCEDURES: 

     Because of the limited number of spaces available the applicants should 
provide the following information by May 15.:

     First and last name.
     Educational degree.
     Phone number.
     Research interest.
     Interest in presenting in the poster session.

SEND PRE-REGISTRATION FORM TO:

PAMELA PATTERSON  AT
E-mail:
[email-masked]
770-488-4454 (Fax)

Please note the deadline of 5/15/96

NOTE:  INDIVIDUALS SELECTED FOR THE CONFERENCE  WILL BE NOTIFIED BY E-MAIL 
BY  MAY 22, 1996.

OTHER INFORMATION:  There is no registration fee for the meeting but space 
is limited.    It is my understanding that a room in Atlanta, GA near the 
CDC is around $82.00.
_______________________________________________________________________

WORKSHOP AGENDA:

International Workshop on Molecular Epidemiology and Evolutionary Genetics 
of Pathogenic Microorganisms

June 17-19, 1996

     A three-day workshop at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 
(CDC) organized under the auspices of the CDC, ORSTOM (the National French 
agency for scientific research in developing countries), and CNRS (the 
National French agency for basic research) is being organized to bring 
together clinicians, epidemiologists, molecular biologists, and evolutionary 
geneticists working on infectious diseases (parasites, fungi, bacteria, and 
viruses) to discuss the various genetic tools in studies of microbe 
identification, evolution, and epidemiologic investigations. This meeting is 
co-sponsored by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 
Burroughs Wellcome Fund, National Foundation for CDC, Emory University 
School of Public Health, and Boehringer Mannheim.
     Health care providers, public health professionals, and laboratory 
scientists are facing a range of issues in combating infectious diseases. 
 To meet these challenges, the scientific community needs to be able to 
rapidly identify  infectious agents in a manner that allows discrimination 
of closely related strains and species, and to use genetic information for 
studying evolution, emergence, and dispersal of these pathogens.
     Over the last two decades, intense efforts have been devoted in several 
laboratories toward developing molecular tools for the detection and strain 
identification of pathogens.  Some of these tools have been employed in 
epidemiologic investigations of infectious agents in hospitals and 
communities.  Studies of population genetics have also created opportunities 
for strain identification and molecular taxonomy and for exploring the 
relationship between genetic diversity and properties of medical relevance 
such as virulence, resistance to drugs, antigenic variation, susceptibility 
to potential vaccines, and host and vector specificity.
     To address the emerging infectious disease threats, the National Center 
for Infectious Diseases (NCID), CDC, has developed a strategic plan that 
emphasizes using surveillance and applied research to maintain a strong 
defense against infectious diseases.  A goal of this plan is the integration 
of laboratory science and epidemiology to develop and use tools to detect 
and promptly identify emerging and re-emerging pathogens, and investigate 
factors that influence their emergence.
       This international workshop will provide health care providers, 
public health professionals, and laboratory scientists who are using 
different tools to work on different pathogens an opportunity to interact 
and discuss the joint use of methodologies needed to meet the challenges of 
the diagnosis and management of emerging, re-emerging, and endemic 
infectious diseases.
     For more information about the workshop, please contact:

Dr. Michel Tibayrenc
770-488-4524 (phone),
770-488-4454 (fax),
[email-masked] (e-mail)

or

 Dr. Altaf Lal
770-488-4047 (phone),
770-488-4454 (fax),
[email-masked] (e-mail)

June, Monday 17

Opening Session
8:20-8:25A.M.       Daniel Colley, Introduction and welcome

8:25-8:45 A.M.      Ruth Berkelman, National Center for Infectious Diseases,
          CDC. Opening remarks.

8:45-9:00 A.M.         Michael Gottlieb, National Institute of Allergy and
                                    Infectious Disease, NIH 
     
9:00-9:15 A.M. Davy Koech, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya. 

9:15-9:30 A.M.      Jean-Marie Guastavino, Scientific advisor, French
           Embassy,  Washington.

9:30-10:00 A.M.     Michel Tibayrenc: Unified approach to molecular 
epidemiology.

10:00-10:30 A.M.    Francisco Ayala: Origin of human malarias

10:30-11:00         Coffee Break

Parasitic Diseases:      

Chairpersons: Thomas Navin and William E. Collins

11:30-12:00 PM Dan Colley, Division of Parasitic Diseases, NCID. The need
           for molecular epidemiologic approaches in response    
          to emerging, re-emerging, and endemic parasitic diseases.

12:00-12:30 PM David Walliker, University of Edinburgh, Scotland. Genetics
           and field populations of malaria parasites.

12:30-1:00 PM  Altaf Lal, Division of Parastic Diseases, NCID. Molecular
          epidemiology of human malaria parasites: From
           identifying parasites to detecting variation.

1:00-2:00 PM   Lunch

2:00-2:30 PM   Mariano Levin, INGEBI, Buenos Aires, Argentina. The
           Trypanosma cruzi genome project: First consequences.

2:30-3:00 PM   Andrea Crisanti, Imperial College, London. Genetic
          polymorphism of TRAP genes among different species
          and isolates of Cryptosporidium.

3:00-3:30 PM   John Baker, Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
           London.  Microevolution within the subgenus Trypanozoan.

3:30-4:00 PM   Coffee

Fungal Disease Chairpersons: Errol Reiss and Arvind Padhye

4:00-4:30 PM   Brad Perkins, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, 
NCID.
           Fungal diseases of public health importance: Epidemiology
          and the role of molecular subtyping.

4:30-5:00 PM   David Soll, Iowa University.  DNA fingerprinting Candida for
          broad epidemiological studies.

5:00-5:30 PM   Jim Stringer, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine,
           Cincinnati, Ohio. Molecular genetic approaches to the
           epidemiology of P. carinii pneumonia.

5:30-6:00 PM   John James, The Children's Hospital Denver, Colorado.
           Epidemiology of    Candida parapsilosis fungemia determined
          by Pyrolysis Mass Spectroscopy (PYMS).

June, Tuesday 18    (bacterial and viral diseases)

Bacterial Disease:  
Chairpersons: Bruce Levin and Don Brenner

8:30-9:00 AM   Mitch Cohen, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, 
NCID.
           Molecular epidemiology and emerging bacterial diseases.

9:00-9:30 AM   James Musser, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas. Molecular
           population genetics of emerged pathogenic bacteria.

9:30-10:00 AM  Thomas Whittam, Pennsylvania State University, PA. Evolution
           of pathogenic E. coli: The accretion model.

10:00-10:30 AM Dan Dykhuizen, Stonybrook University, Stonybrook.
          The paradox of clonality at some genes and recombination
          at others as illustrated in Borrelia burgdorferi.

10:30-11:00 AM Coffee

11:00-11:30 AM Jan van Embden, Research Laboratory for Infectious Diseases,
          National Institute of Public Health and Environmental Protection,
          The Netherlands. Molecular epidemiology of M. tuberculosis and
           The Netherlands experience.

11:30-12:00    Peter Small, Stanford University, CA.  Lessons learned from 
the
           molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis.

12:00-12:30 PM Robert Tauxe, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, 
NCID.
           E pluribus unum: The molecular diversity of pandemic
           Vibrio cholerae.

12:30-1:00 PM  Fred Tenover, Hospital Infections Program, NCID.  The
          emergence of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in hospitals:
           Genetics and molecular epidemiology.

1:00-2:00 PM   Lunch

Viral Diseases:     Chairperson: C.J. Peters and Tim Dondero

2:00-2:30 PM   Brian Mahy, Division of Viral and Rickettesial Diseases, 
NCID.
           Emergence and re-emergence of virus infections.

2:30-3:00 PM   Martine Peeters, ORSTOM, Montpellier, France.  Molecular
           epidemiology of African HIV strains.

3:00-3:30 PM   Mark Rayfield, Division of AIDS, STD, TB Laboratory Research,
           NCID. Molecular Epidemiology of HIV

3:30-4:00 PM   Coffee Break

4:00:4:30 PM   Jeff Chang, Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases, 
NCID.
           Applications of molecular genetics to flaviviruses research.

4:30-5:00 PM   Nancy Cox, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, NCID.
           Molecular epidemiology of Influenza virus.

5:00-5:30 PM   Olen Kew, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, NCID.
           Molecular epidemiolgy of Polioviruses.

5:30-6:00 PM             William Bellini, Division of Viral and Rickettsial 
Diseases, NCID.
           Molecular epidemiology of measles: Evidence for
          measles   elimination in the U.S.


Wednesday, 19th

Simultaneous sessions

1.  Tools and approaches in molecular epidemiology:
Michel Tibayrenc, ORSTOM, France and Steve Monroe, DVRD, NCID.
8:30 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.

2.  Emerging infections:
Bernard Nahlen, DPD,NCID/KEMRI and Bob Pinner, NCID, CDC
8:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.

3.  Concomittant infections:
Daniel Colley, DPD, NCID and Thomas Folks, DASTLR, NCID
8:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.

4.  Insect Disease Vector:
Frank Collins, DPD, NCID and Jean-Pierre Dujardin, ORSTOM, France
8:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.

5.  Definition of strain:
 Bruce Levin, Emory University and Karen Day, Oxford University, London.
2:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M.

6.  Opportunistic infections:
 Thomas Navin, DPD, NCID and Charles Beard, DPD, NCID.
2:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M.

7.  Tropical parasites:
 Nouzha Guessous, University of Casablanca, Morroco and David Addis, DPD, 
NCID
2:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M.

_______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your interest.