Subject: Position announcement: plant pathologist

From: [email-masked] (james brown)
Date: 11 Jan 1995 18:35:24 GMT

Cereals Research Department
JOHN INNES CENTRE
Norwich, England

Plant Pathologist

The Cereals Research Department of the John Innes Centre is
internationally renowed for its research on the pathology, genetics,
molecular biology and physiology of wheat, barley and other cereal
crops.

Due to the imminent retirement of Dr Roy Johnson, we are seeking a
Plant Pathologist to lead the Centre's research programme on rusts of
cereals. The long-term aim of the cereal pathology programme is to
achieve durable genetic resistance to the important diseases of
cereals, including rusts. The successful candidate will initiate new
lines of research on the genetics and molecular biology of the
resistance of wheat and barley to yellow and brown rusts and of the
rust pathogens themselves, and will develop existing projects, to
maintain the Centre's leading position in this area. Applicants
should have an established record of outstanding research in applying
genetics to problems in plant pathology, and the potential to lead a
research programme of internationally recognised excellence.

The appointment will be in Pay Band 5 or 6 within the salary range
GBP13,286 to 29,700 per annum. A non-contributory superannuation
scheme is in operation. Further details of terms and conditions can
be provided on request. The position is funded by the Ministry of
Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, initially for a period of four years.
The JIC is an equal opportunities employer.

Applications must be made on a form, which can be obtained by writing
to The Personnel Officer, John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park,
Colney, Norwich, NR4 7UH, telephone: 01603-452571 or fax: 01603-
456844, quoting reference CR/916. Informal inquiries from intending
applicants, about the scientific aspects of this post, may be
addressed to Dr James Brown at the John Innes Centre (phone number
above, fax: 01603-502241, e-mail: [email-masked]).

This position will be advertised in Nature on 19th January 1995, and
the closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 16th
Feb 1995.