Subject: Re: Cultivation of non-food fungi

From: [email-masked] (Weasel Tracks)
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 19:03:03 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, Peter Oei <[email-masked]> wrote:

> [email-masked] (CALinKC) wrote:
> >I'm a textile designer working with fungi, and I respectfully ask who
> >could recommend reading on identification and cultivation, in a variety of
> >nutrient media, in not-so-strict studio/laboratory settings. 

Get the American Type Culture Collection (ATCC) catalog. It has loads of
"recipes" for various species. Don't have their address at hand, except
that they're in Maryland. Most may not be "not-so-strict" however.

If you want to experiment with fungi that eat and/or modify textiles, use
the textile material itself, say as a tea with which to make agar, etc.

Most common, I would expect, for textiles would be cellulose eaters. I may
be talking through my hat here, but if so, you can be much less sterile.

   ---Weasel Tracks

-- 
Telling the truth when    | "I'm just a sucker for recursive logic."
   I say that I am lying, |
no one believes me.       | http://home.earthlink.net/~weaseltrax

--pseudohaiku by Vincent Grzybowski