Subject: cultures

From: [email-masked] (Doug Rice)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 23:51:00 GMT

Hello fellow fungal folks,

I have embarked on a challenging project that will require the assistance of 
all of you.  Scientists and hobyists alike.  I have begun collecting fungal 
cultures that have been isolated from air samples, specifically the Anderson 
impactor.  I hope to amass a large (75-100) collection to create the 
definitive (!) identification guide of airborne fungi for Industrial 
Hygienists.  I realize that there are excellent texts already available; 
namely Siwert Nilsson's Eurpean Atlas and Grant Smith's Allergenic Pollens and 
Molds.  However, most IH's would like to see the culture as it appears on 
the plate along with the photomicrograph of the spore.

Here's where you can help:  1) I need to know where to purchase a 
large volume of fungal cultures, possibly 50 genera.  2) If you have fungal 
cultures isolated from the air I would like to talk to you about a trade, 
loan, or purchase.  and  3) If you are collecting similar data, let's compare 
notes.  I would like to include extensive statistics in my text concerning the 
prevalence of genera in specific environments.

Many, many thanks in advance.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steven Carpenter)
Date: 3 Nov 1995 13:59:07 GMT

Doug,

You can get many cultures from the American Type Culture Collection, 
12301 Parklawn Dr., Rockville, MD 20852.

I applaud your efforts, but I have a concern about potential misuse by
IH's.  It is almost always the case that someone in a hurry decides that
the macroscopic picture of a culture will do, and that a microscope is
not necessary.  This usually results in misidentification, and possibly
a major mis-diagnosis of the problem.  As you know, macroscopic appearances
of cultures are highly variable, depending on media, growth conditions,
etc.  So, PLEASE, put in your accompany text in a conspicuous place that
macroscopic looks at the culture plate or tube is insufficient for 
identification, and an unprofessional practice for an IH.

Thanks.

-Steve Carpenter
 Cascade Research Associates
  & Abbey Lane Laboratory
 [email-masked]

Doug Rice ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hello fellow fungal folks,

: I have embarked on a challenging project that will require the assistance of 
: all of you.  Scientists and hobyists alike.  I have begun collecting fungal 
: cultures that have been isolated from air samples, specifically the Anderson 
: impactor.  I hope to amass a large (75-100) collection to create the 
: definitive (!) identification guide of airborne fungi for Industrial 
: Hygienists.  I realize that there are excellent texts already available; 
: namely Siwert Nilsson's Eurpean Atlas and Grant Smith's Allergenic Pollens and 
: Molds.  However, most IH's would like to see the culture as it appears on 
: the plate along with the photomicrograph of the spore.

: Here's where you can help:  1) I need to know where to purchase a 
: large volume of fungal cultures, possibly 50 genera.  2) If you have fungal 
: cultures isolated from the air I would like to talk to you about a trade, 
: loan, or purchase.  and  3) If you are collecting similar data, let's compare 
: notes.  I would like to include extensive statistics in my text concerning the 
: prevalence of genera in specific environments.

: Many, many thanks in advance.