Subject: Re: Indoor Growing of Morels?

From: [email-masked] (Tom Volk)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 16:30:10 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Wolfgang Greiner) writes:

>Has there been any progress in the indoor growing of morels
>since Paul Stamets published his great book "Growing Gourmet and
>Medical Mushrooms"?
>Has anyone managed to grow morels using the techniques outlined by
>the patent of Ron Ower?
>Thanks.
> Wolfgang Greiner                     [email-masked]
>Stadtwaldstr. 9, 76456 Kuppenheim, Germany

Hi Wolfgang.  To my knowledge, no one in the world has been able to grow 
morels indoors using the methods described in either morel patent (US Pat 
nos. 4,594,809 or 4,757,640).
If anyone knows of someone who has succesfully done this I would like 
hear about it.
---Tom Volk  Center for Forest Mycology Research, Forest Products Lab, 
Madison Wisconsin, and UW-Madison Dept of Botany <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Wolfgang Greiner)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 22:41:33 GMT

Hi!

Thanks.
 Wolfgang

--

---

From: [email-masked] (MycoWorld)
Date: 6 Jun 1995 02:24:58 -0400

Terry Farms has been producing morels although not necessarily exactly as
per the patents.  They plan to open a morel facility in Auburn, Alabama
(USA) by this fall.

Jerry, Editor - The Mushroom Growers' Newsletter
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tom Volk)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 13:39:40 GMT

>Jerry, Editor - The Mushroom Growers' Newsletter

This is true.  However, the way I understand it, Terry farms has 
bought into the technology of Neogen/Morel Mountain (the holders of the 
morel patents), which is (apparently) not the same as the methods 
stated in the patents. They *are* able to grow and fruit morels indoors, but 
their methods remain proprietary.
---Tom Volk, Center for Forest Mycology Research, Forest Products Lab, 
Madison, WI and UW- Madison Dept. of Botany <[email-masked]>