Subject: ultrastructure of fungal mitochondria

From: [email-masked] ("Jill Salvo")
Date: 10 Sep 1994 07:00:05 -0700

We have recently been sifting unsuccessfully through the literature for any
information on the structure of fungal mitchondria, in particular Neurospora,
Aspergillus and Podospora. Does anyone know of any studies using electron 
microsopy or other techniques to observe the mitochondria during the life
cycle of any of these?  Thanks in advance.
			Jill Salvo
			[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Sachs)
Date: 12 Sep 1994 08:03:41 -0700

>cycle of any of these?  Thanks in advance.

These are some older literature references indexed under the rubric
"mitochondria-morphology-electron microscopy" from the Neurospora
Bibliography and Index, 1965.

Luck, D.J.L., Genesis of mitochondria in Neurospora crassa. PNAS
49:233-240, 1963

Shatkin, A.J. and Tatum, E.L., Electron microscopy of Neurospora crassa
mycelia.  J. Biophys. Biochem. Cytol. 6:423-426, 1959

Shatkin, A.J. and Tatum, E.L., The relationshop of m-inositol to morphology
in Neurospora crassa.  Am. J. Botany 48:760-771, 1961

Zalokar, M.,  Electron microscopy of centrifuged hyphae of Neurospora.  J.
Biophys. Biochem. Cytol. 9:609-617, 1961

-----------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Sachs
Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology
20000 NW Walker Road
P.O. Box 91000
Portland, OR  97291-1000
503 690-1487 Phone
503 690-1464 Fax
[email-masked]