Subject: Q: soil fungi Peniophora & Pleurotus

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Oct 94 13:44:58 +1300

Can anyone tell me off the top of there head what type of soil fungi
_Peniophora gigantea_ and _Pleurotus ostreatus_ are?  Just a general
description like ecto or VAM mycorrhiza or fungal antagonist similar to
Trichoderma or whatever.

Many thanks, Terry Brown.

---

From: [email-masked] (MycoWorld)
Date: 17 Oct 1994 11:54:02 -0400

>[email-masked] Writes:

>_Peniophora gigantea_ and _Pleurotus ostreatus_ are?

Pleurotus ostreatus is commonly known as the oyster mushroom.  It's widely
cutivated - by last report #2 in world production after Agaricus.  It's a
decayer- grows on tress, straw or just about anything.

Peniophora gigantea took me to David Arora's book "Mushrooms Demystified".
 It's sort of a bracket fungus forming a "paper-thin crust on dead
conifers".  Apparently a decayer also.

Jerry Haugen, The Mushroom Growers' Newsletter
[email-masked]