Subject: Looking For a PostDoc or Research Position:

From: [email-masked]
Date: 19 Oct 1994 14:52:34 -0700

Looking For a PostDoc Position or Research Position:  

To those insterested in considering, 

I am a Ph.D. candidate in the Population Biology and Ecology area of the
school of Biological sciences at Purdue University, and expect to defend my
thesis before the end of 1994.  My thesis concerns determining the number
of distinctive forms within the obligately parasitic, plant pathogenic
powdery mildew Erysiphe cichoracearum, and the extent and evolution of
their host specificity.  I have primarily used RFLP information from PCR
amplified regions of the genomic ribosomal genes to characterize the
diversity within this widespread fungal species.  During my tenure in the
laboratory of Dr. Morris Levy I have also worked on population biology and
pathotypic evolution in the rice blast fungus (Pyricularia grisea).  I have
experience with standard aseptic procedures and microscopic techniques,
southern blotting and probing, amplification of RAPDs, and have experience
using a number of phylogenetic inference software packages including
versions of PAUP, MacClade, Phylip, and DNA Sequence alignment software. 
My research interests are broad within the areas of understanding
evolutionary processes, molecular genetics, and in phylogenetic
reconstruction, but I am especially interested in studies of interactions
between hosts and their symbionts.  

I am looking for post-doctoral or research associate positions,
particularly in the areas of plant, fungal or microbial molecular genetics
and/or systematics.  I will be available for  positions beginning in or
after the summer/autumn of 1995.  If you have a post-doctoral or research
position to offer, please do not hesitate to contact me at.  

Kurt A. Zeller
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Purdue University, 
West Lafayette, IN 47906-1392 (USA)
Internet: <[email-masked]>
Phone:  (317) 497-3596
Fax:  (317) 494-0876

Attached is a copy of my CV (as of 9/94).  I thank you in advance for your
consideration.  

-----------------------------------------------------------

KURT A. ZELLER
Vita
PERSONAL:
Born:
April 12, 1965, LaPorte, Indiana (USA Citizen)
Present Address:
Lilly Hall of Life Sciences
Department of Biology, Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1392
Internet: <[email-masked]>
Phone:  Office:  (317) 494-8133, Home:  (317) 497-3596
Fax:  (317) 494-0876

 EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:

B.S. in Biology, College of Arts and Sciences, 1987
Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana

PhD. Population Biology, Department of Biological Sciences, 1994
Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana (Pending)

MAJOR RESEARCH INTERESTS:

Host-Parasite Coevolution and Cospeciation, Molecular Systematics,
Molecular Genetics, and Evolution in Symbiotic Associations.  

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

Research Assistant -- In projects involving the use of molecular techniques
to study population biology and phylogenetic relationships in fungal plant
pathogens, especially Erysiphe cichoracearum and Magnaporthe grisea, Purdue
University, for Dr. Morris Levy, Spring 1990 to Present.  

Graduate Instructor --Systematic Biology, Purdue University, Fall 1994. 
Evolution, Purdue University, Spring 1992.  Diversity, Ecology and
Behavior, Introductory Biology Laboratory, Purdue University, Fall 1989,
1990 and 1991.  Development, Structure and Function of Organisms,
Introductory Biology Laboratory, Purdue University, Spring 1989 and Spring
1990.  

Laboratory Assistant -- Involved in projects studying the effects of
endophytic fungi of grasses on insect herbivory and in influencing the
ability of infected hosts in withstanding environmental stresses, Indiana
University, for Dr Keith Clay, Fall 1986 -- Fall 1987.

PROFESIONAL SOCIETY AFFILIATIONS:
Member -- American Society of Plant Taxonomists since 1991.  
Member -- Indiana Academy of Science since 1991.  
Member -- Mycological Society of America since 1993.  

AWARDS:

1991:  Sigma Xi Grant-in-Aid of Research for a study titled, "Systematics
and Evolution of Host-Specificity in Erysiphe cichoracearum".  

1992-94:  Purdue Research Foundation Graduate Student Fellowship, for a
study titled, "Systematics and Evolution of Host-Specificity in the Plant
Pathogen Erysiphe cichoracearum".  

1994:  Mycological Society of America Mentor Travel Grant to the IMC5,to
present a poster titled, "The Evolution of Host Specificity in the Obligate
Plant Parasite Erysiphe cichoracearum:  A Comparative Phylogenetic
Examination".  

 1994:  Mycological Society of America Graduate Research Prize for a poster
titled, The Evolution of Host Specificity in the Obligate Plant Parasite
Erysiphe cichoracearum:  A Comparative Phylogenetic Examination".  

ABSTRACTS AND PRESENTATIONS :  

Zeller, K. A. and M. Levy.  1991.  
Molecular Techniques for Systematic Studies of Powdery Mildew
Phytopathogens:  11th Midwest Ecology and Evolution Conference (MEEC). 
Lexington KY, March 15-17, (abstract).  

Zeller, K. A. and M. Levy.  1991.  
DNA Mini-preparation for Magnaporthe Field Isolates.  5th Annual Meeting of
the Rockefeller Foundation International Program on Rice Biotechnology. 
Offprint, 4 pages.  

Zeller, K. A.  1993.  
Form Species Differentiation Within Erysiphe cichoracearum Revealed by
RFLP's.  13th Midwest Ecology and Evolution Conference (MEEC).  West
Lafayette IN, March 12-14, (abstract).  

Zeller, K.A. and M. Levy.  1993.  
Parasite/Host Coevolution in the Powdery Mildew Erysiphe cichoracearum:  A
Comparative Phylogenetic Examination.  1993 Fall Meeting of the Indiana
Academy of Sciences (IAS).  West Lafayette, IN, November 4-5, (abstract).  

Zeller, K.A. and M. Levy.  1994.  
The Evolution of Host Specificity in the Obligate Plant Parasite Erysiphe
cichoracearum:  A Comparative Phylogenetic Examination.  5th International
Mycological Congress (IMC5).  Vancouver, B.C. (Canada), August 14-21,
(abstract).  

PUBLICATIONS:  

C. R. Casela, A. S. Ferreira, K. A. Zeller, and M. Levy.  
Pathotype Variation in the Sorghum Anthracnose Fungus:  A Phylogenetic
Perspective.  In, Disease Management Through Biotechnology, (R. A.
Frederiksen and J. F. Leslie eds).  (in press).  

Zeller, K. A. and M. Levy.  
Intra-species Differentiation in the Powdery Mildew Erysiphe cichoracearum
Determined With rDNA RFLPs.  Molecular Ecology (in review).  

Zeller, K. A.  
Phylogenetic Relatedness Within the Genus Erysiphe Estimated With
Morphological Characteristics.  Mycologia (in review).  

Zeller, K. A. and M. Levy.  
Parasite - Host Coevolution Among Erysiphe spp. at Host Familial Levels. 
Evolution.  (in preparation).  

References:  
References are available upon request.  
---------------------------------------------