Subject: Graduate Training

From: [email-masked] ("Tom Adams")
Date: 3 Nov 1994 10:40:53 -0800

Program for the Biology of Filamentous Fungi (PBOFF)

Graduate Fellowships in Fungal Biology

Fellowships are available for suitably qualified graduate students to work 
with selected members of the Biology, Biochemistry, and Plant Pathology and 
Microbiology Departments at Texas A&M University.  This program is funded by 
a five year training grant from the National Science Foundation and graduate 
trainees will participate in a multidisciplinary program addressing 
important questions in fungal biology.  Students may pursue Ph.D. degrees in 
Plant Pathology, Biology, or Genetics and will have the opportunity to 
rotate in three laboratories before initiating their thesis work in a chosen 
laboratory.  Students with basic interests in biochemistry, biology, 
genetics, and molecular genetics are strongly encouraged to apply.  The 
departmental affiliation and research interests of the faculty associated 
with PBOFF are:

Thomas Adams (Biology/Genetics):  Genetic regulation of fungal development 
and secondary metabolism

David Appel (Plant Pathology):

Marian Beremand (Plant Pathology/Genetics):  Genetics and molecular biology 
of mycotoxin productionin Fusarium

Daniel Ebbole (Plant Pathology/Genetics):  Genetic regulation of fungal 
developmnet and pathogenicity

Leland Ellis (Biochemistry):  Genome Informatics; developmental genetics of 
kinase structure/function Aspergillus nidulans

Nancy Keller (Plant Pathology):  Genetic and biochemical regulation of 
mycotoxin biosynthesis in Aspergillus

Charles Kenerley (Plant Pathology):  Microbial ecology of biocontrol and 
bioremediation agents

Clint Magill (Plant Pathology/Genetics):  DNA diagnostics of fungal plant 
pathogens and host responses to infection

Raymond Martyn (Plant Pathology):  Biology and control of soilborne fungal 
pathogens

Bruce McDonald (Plant Pathology/Genetics):  Population genetics of plant 
pathogenic fungi/fungal-plant coevolution.

Mike Plamann (Biology):  Genetic analysis of hyphal growth and nuclear 
movement

Neal Van Alfen (Plant Pathology):  Molecular mechanisms of viral repression 
of sporulation and virulence of a fungal plant pathogen

To obtain more information about the Program for the Biology of Filamentous 
Fungi at Texas A&M University write:

Program for Biology of Filamentous Fungi
Department of Plant Pathology and Microbiology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX  77843-2132
Phone:  409-845-7311
FAX:  409-845-6483

OR, take a look at our new World Wide Web page at:

http://straylight.tamu.edu/tamu/pboff/pboff.html

Tom Adams
Department of Biology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX  77843
409-845-1468
[email-masked]