Subject: Re: Morel Seeding of Forest by Fungi Perfecti

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 19:10:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
(Stametsfam) writes:

>What  apparently has been missed is the fact that if this
>project works,it will empower mycologists everywhere. I am not seeking a
>patent, exclusivity or anything else. Mycologists from South Africa to the
>Netherlands may find one more avenue for their talents. What is
>sorely lacking in this field, is practical application - taking mycelium
>from the laboratory and re-introducing it back into the environment.

Righton!  Paul, you have the right idea.  We have been working to use
*endemic* fungi to control weeds, and encounter irrational fears and
emotional criticism of our projects at every turn- usually before we can
even open our mouths to explain ourselves.  It is a lot easier for people
to tear something apart, rather than create something worthwhile.  You are 
not the only one who has wrestled with the problems of large-scale field 
inoculations, believe me.  While mycologists push for what really amounts to 
sound microbial husbandry, there seems to be an ever-growing avalanche of 
fear and ignorance (and turf battles) to face.  For whatever its worth, 
you have my vote of support.			-RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Snider)
Date: 1 Oct 1994 04:08:40 GMT

Stametsfam ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Alexander Smith told me, when I faced criticism for my interest
: in Psilocybe, that he lived by a central tenet that he recommend I adopt. 
: It was:

: "You are d---ned if you do and you will be d---ned if you don't, 
: so do it be and be d---ned" 

: I am going to do it. 

: paul stamets

Paul,

An engineer here at Hewlett Packard said it best (I have no idea if he said
it first), "Show me a pioneer and I'll show you someone with alot of arrows
in his butt". 

Keep up the good work!

Lee Snider  [email-masked]