Subject: Re: Making C. albicans protoplasts

From: [email-masked] (Claude Selitrennikoff)
Date: 14 Dec 1994 14:07:45 -0800

Dear Dr. Giasson:

We have had some success with using Novozym 234 on log growth cells. 
Novozyme is available from Sigma among other places. 

Protoplasting Candida is a pain and is dependent on the strain, the growth
medium, where in the growth curve cells are, and probably the phase of the
moon.

Best of luck

Claude Selitrennikoff
University of Colorado

---

From: [email-masked] (Beatrice Magee)
Date: 15 Dec 1994 07:29:15 -0800

We have used ICN Yeast lytic enzyme, cat.# 152270, to make protoplasts of 
Candida albicans.  Several batches have worked.

On 14 Dec 1994, Luc Giasson wrote:

>   Is there a 
> reliable enzyme (source of enzyme) available to generate C. albicans protop
> lasts?
> 
B.Magee>

---

From: [email-masked] (Luc Giasson)
Date: 14 Dec 1994 12:36:17 -0800

We have used an old batch of "glusulase" (Dupont Cat#NEE-154) successfully to o
btain Candida albicans protoplasts.  We ran out of it, ordered more glusulase (
two different lot numbers) which do not yield protoplasts.  We have tried Zymol
yase (lyticase from Sigma Cat#L-8012) which does not work either.  Is there a m
ore reliable enzyme (source of enzyme) available to generate C. albicans protop
lasts?

    [email-masked]
    Luc Giasson
    GREB, Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite Laval
    Ste-Foy (Quebec),Canada  G1K 7P4
    Tel:(418)656-7039     Fax:(418)656-2861