Subject: Re: Fascism at Work in our Government

From: [email-masked] (Lewis Melville)
Date: 7 Oct 1994 15:22:52 GMT

Bob Harris ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I just downloaded this and thought all the "mycophiles" might like to
: investigate this more fully:

: This may be a bit premature since I have not myself verified exactly
: what happened, however, I have it on good authority that in
: mid-to-late-September to DEA sent a written order to ATCC (American
: Type
: Culture Center, I believe) demanding that they destroy all their
: psilocybian mushroom cultures.  Evidently the researchers at ATCC
: carried out the order.  It's my understanding that ATCC was one of the
: only legal sources for such cultures.

	This seems like a futile task. It's highly unlikely that anyone 
interested in culturing psilocybin for questionable purposes would need 
to obtain their material from the ATCC. This would be like destroying 
hemp seed kept in a seed bank as a means to eliminating street use of 
cannibis. 
Question: Should scientists carry out this type of order or resort to 
civil disobedience? 

: I'll be trying to get some solid facts on this when I return to on
: Monday.  If anyone has any info please funnel it my way.

: -richard glen boire
: The Entheogen Law Reporter
: P.O. Box 73481
: Davis, CA 95617-3481

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Harris)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 20:29:24 GMT

I just downloaded this and thought all the "mycophiles" might like to
investigate this more fully:

This may be a bit premature since I have not myself verified exactly
what happened, however, I have it on good authority that in
mid-to-late-September to DEA sent a written order to ATCC (American
Type
Culture Center, I believe) demanding that they destroy all their
psilocybian mushroom cultures.  Evidently the researchers at ATCC
carried out the order.  It's my understanding that ATCC was one of the
only legal sources for such cultures.

I'll be trying to get some solid facts on this when I return to on
Monday.  If anyone has any info please funnel it my way.

-richard glen boire
The Entheogen Law Reporter
P.O. Box 73481
Davis, CA 95617-3481