Subject: help! need info-odourless compost

From: [email-masked] (Margot Sinclair)
Date: 5 Oct 1994 01:24:25 GMT

I really would appreciate it if anyone can provide some information about
odourless compost for mushroom farms.  In some places, odour is considered
an environmental hazard.  So I'm trying to find the latest technology
available that's environmentally-friendly (ie. odourless). I heard that
Pennsylvania and the Netherlands are two sites with new technology.

This is not an area in which I specialize . . . so in advance, I thank you
for your patience and your assistance. 

Please respond by e-mail to [email-masked]

Thanks!

-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Stametsfam)
Date: 5 Oct 1994 09:33:03 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Margot Sinclair) writes:

     Ostrom's Mushroom Farms, here in Olympia, has reduced its
odiferousness significantly over the past few years. They collect leachate
and re-spray it over the compost continuously during Phase I. 
This oxygenation of the leachate seems to have a significant impact
on ammonifying bacteria. You might want to contact Bill Street Jr. or Sr.
at 206-491-1410 to discuss their process. 

     Good luck. 

     Paul Stamets