Subject: Wild Matsutake Harvest

From: [email-masked] (MycoWorld)
Date: 5 Oct 1994 23:03:16 -0400

I am trying to determine how well the wild matsutake (Tricholoma
magnivelare, Armillaria ponderosa, A. Caligata) season is doing around the
world.  Yields have been poor and prices low here in central Oregon.  I
have a reliable report from Korea that their season is one of the worst on
record.  I believe that Canada (BC) is doing ok and hear rumors that China
and Russia are doing well - can anyone confirm or deny this info?  Also,
can anyone tell me what is happening in the Japanese retail market in
terms of prices and supply compared to previous years?  Thanks for any
information.
Jerry Haugen, The Mushroom Growers' Newsletter
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 17:05:02 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (MycoWorld) writes:
>and Russia are doing well - can anyone confirm or deny this info?  

I've heard that there really aren't that many in BC this year- a few spots
maybe OK due to our diverse geography, but overall the harvest seems to
be low according to at least one harvester I talked too.  That could just be
here on Vancouver Island, though.  Prices also seem to be coming down, 
according to this gentleman, though I can't confirm that- there was somewhat 
of a gold-rush mentality that is perhaps simmering down.  Maybe all the 
good hunters have staked out their claims and purchased very good 
flashlights :-)				-RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]