Subject: position announcement (fwd)

From: [email-masked] ("Thomas O'Dell")
Date: 26 Sep 1994 13:46:25 -0700

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON, SEATTLE, WA, USA

To apply you must contact staff employment for official forms: 
University of 
Washington Staff Employment,
 1320 Campus Parkway Seattle, WA 98195
206-543-6969
 Subject: Research Technologist 1*

                                Issue Number 20

Research Technologist 1*

Molecular Ecology

Reference Number:   A1615

Location: Hitchcock Hall, and remote field sites in Olympic National
Park.

Note: This is a part-time, 85% position, for which some overnight
travel is required. The position includes field collection and
extensive work in remote forest sites in the Olympic National Park,
typically in adverse weather conditions.

General Duties: Assist researcher investigating dominance and
diversity among ectomycorrhizal fungi in old growth forests of the
northwest.
Responsibilities include: field sampling of soil, fungi and roots
(this work requires long hours in poor weather in remote old-growth
forest sites, raking plots for truffles and taking soil cores);
washing root samples; assisting with identification and description of
fungi; performing photomicrography and microscopy to provide
morphological descriptions of ectomycorrhizae; preparing reagents;
performing electrophoresis and related techniques (DNA extraction,
amplification, and digestion) for PCR based DNA analysis of species
samples. The Technologist will also maintain records, review pertinent
literature, and perform related laboratory maintenance duties as
required.

Minimum Qualifications: Two years' experience as a Laboratory
Technician 2, or equivalent; OR a bachelor's degree in an appropriate
field of science or technology.

To be considered for this position, you must meet the following
Additional Requirements. You must respond to these in your application
materials.

Additional Requirements: Experience/training/coursework in molecular
biology techniques and in mycology/mycoecology.

Desirable Qualifications: Experience in ecological field sampling,
preferably in Western Washington ecosystems with an emphasis on fungus
identification and description; and experience with PCR DNA
amplification and PCR DNA sequencing.

Conditions of Employment: Must be able to carry equipment and perform
rigorous work in remote forest "field" sites in Western Washington.

Salary Range: 85% of $1,822 - 2,301

Closes: Monday, October 3, 1994