Subject: (serious) prehistoric use of fungi

From: [email-masked] (FRED)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 14:46:36

I'm trying to find information on how our ancestors perhaps used fungi in 
their lives.
I've come across a few cases, such as the man in the ice near Austria found 
recently, but I want more than just one photo and a paragraph.
The medicinal side of things is an interest of mine, but I would love to hear 
of any leads investigating the ritual use of psychoactive fungi within 
these cultures.
I'm studying Archaeology at Bradford, and I would like some serious feedback 
and not just opinions on 'cool trips' and the like.
Ta.

---

From: Thomas O'Dell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 10:34:46 -0700

The definitive treatment on ethnomycology is Mushrooms, Russia and 
History by R. Gordon and Valentina Wasson. published ca. 1957. 
unfontunately we have little information re paleo or prehistoric use of 
fungi... also unfortunately the cited reference is a rare book, but i'm 
sure they have it at Kew.
good luck!