Subject: Melanin in Fungi

From: [email-masked] ("Kren sutai-Doq'Marr, Captain of the Falchion, Klingon Defence Force.......Q'apla Jo'whi!!!")
Date: 23 Nov 1994 08:33:48 -0800

This is the first time I've ever done this so forgive me if I do anything
wrong!. I am in the third year of my PhD studies studying the biological
control of the dry rot fungus Serpula lacrymans by Trichoderma species. 
One thing that may be important in the interaction between these fungi is
the presence (or not) of melanin in the hyphal cell walls. The melanin, if
present, may be used in a defensive or offensive strategy. My question is
whether there are any quick and easy assay systems for the detection of
melanin in fungal cell walls?. And if anyone can give me any information
concerning the use of melanin in these strategies I shall be very grateful.
Thanks.
Alan J. Score
Scottish Institute for Wood Technology
University of Abertay Dundee
Bell Street
Dundee DD1 1HG
Scotland

---

From: [email-masked] (Lester Pasarell)
Date: 24 Nov 1994 12:26:38 -0800

In the clinical mycology laboratory in order to detect if a fungus when
present in the tissue of a host has melanin the FONTANA MASSOn stain is
reccomended, I do not have a refernce for that stain, but it could be found
in a medical histology book.
The stain is also used for the dx of the Basidyomycetous (please forgive the spelli
spelling) yeast Trichosporon and Cryptococcus which contain dihydroxyphenylalanine
 melanin when present in host tissue,even when these two yeast do not appear
black in culture. Good luck.....
Lester Pasarell
Clinical Mycology lab
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, Tx 77555
[email-masked]