Subject: HELP! Strange Mold

From: [email-masked] (Steve Jacobson)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 1994 02:04:41 GMT

Could anyone out there help me.  Someone from the bionet.general newsgroup 
suggested I post this here.

My cousin has a strange mold/organism growing throughout her house (on the 
end of Long Island, NY).  It started with a leak in a gutter that eventually 
got into the house (the house was cool and humid).  It incubated over the 
summer and when the weather became humid, it started breeding rapidly.  The 
humidity rapidly built up in the house early in the summer and everything 
became damp.  The house never fully dried out.

The mold starts out with a pinkish color with a round shape (like little 
droplets).  The shape then will change to become irregular.  The mold then 
starts to grow and get darker (orange or brown).  It takes on all kinds of 
shapes, but its favorite is round-like ameoba or protoplasm.  The mold grows 
very large and spreads fast.  It covers everything, especially porus items, 
like paper, wood, and fabric (also pottery, paint, and wood floors)  When the 
mold gets ahold and spreads, it turns darker.  Clorox does not seem to kill 
it-it sometimes lightens it a little (maybe one out of 10 cases).  There is 
also a version of this mold that is gray or black.

Does anyone know what this stuff is and HOW TO KILL IT.

Thanx in advance.

-----------------------------------------------
Rgds		
Steve Jacobson
[email-masked]