Subject: Re: maitake/matsutake

From: [email-masked] (Lorelei Norvell)
Date: 2 Dec 1994 08:44:18 -0800

The more current name for the American matsutake (frequently 
referred to as the Pine Mushroom) is Tricholoma magnivelare (Pk) Redhead 
(the type species for Armillaria is Armillaria mellea, which is why all 
the veiled Tricholomas have been returned to that genus).  There is also 
a Japanese matsutake -- the preferred edible in Japan -- called 
Tricholoma matsutake (Ito & Imai) Singer.
	There is an excellent book of Japanese mushrooms with outstanding 
photographs by Imazeki, Otani, and Hongo published by YAMA-KEI Publishers 
co.m, Ltd, 1-1-33, Shiba-daimon, Minato-ku, Japan printed in 1988 which I 
purchased for around $57 US (this includes the bank fee) in 1990.  In it 
you will find the Japanese name (plus superb photos) of Grifola 
frondosa.  Unfortunately it is in Japanese, which I can't read...
	Lorelei Norvell

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Dec 1994 07:43:50 -0800

Matsutake is Armillaria ponderosa (Pk.) Sacc., an agaric in the
Tricholomataceae.  Unfortunately, I don't know the japanese for Grifola
frondosa (Fr.)S.F.G.
Sue Van Hook                               E-mail:[email-masked]
Box 2152                                   Phone: (518)584-5000 X2168
Skidmore College                           FAX: (518)584-7400 ext.2424
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866-1632

---

From: Thomas O'Dell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 09:44:11 -0800

I believe that maitake is Grifola frondosa. BTW another classification 
(widely accepted) for American matsutake is Tricholma magnivelare (Peck) 
Redhead (=Armillaria ponderosa Sacc. and other synonyms); japanese 
matsutake is T. matsutake and relations.