Subject: Mycological Resources on the Internet

From: [email-masked] (Ulf Thrane)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 15:53:00

MYCOLOGICAL RESOURCES ON THE INTERNET  v. 1.1

Updated 27-SEP-1994

Compiled by  

Ulf Thrane, The Mycology Group, 
Dept Biotechnology, 
DTU-221,
DK-2800 Lyngby, 
Denmark 
([email-masked])

and 

Keith A. Seifert, 
Centre for Land and Biological  Resources Research, 
Agriculture Canada, Research Branch, 
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0C6, 
Canada.  
([email-masked])

Note:  Our intention is to provide details necesarry to contact various
resources.  It is not possible to give exact guidelines for all resources 
because the route of access and the software commands are highly 
dependant on your own equipment and Internet gateway.

Content:  This listing includes Internet resouces that are primarily of
interest to professional mycologists.  We will not attempt to include
resources intended for amateur mycologists.  Such resources can be
located through the Biologists Guide to Internet Resouces (see below).

This document will be updated periodically.  Please send items for
inclusion to either of the editors noted above.

ALPHABETICAL LIST     
=================

A Biologist's Guide to Internet Resources (ISSN 1071-9857)
----------------------------------------------------------
Description:  A comprehensive document (40 pages) that contains 
an overview and lists of free Internet resources such as: scientific 
discussion groups (newsgroups and mailing lists); research 
newsletters, directories and bibliographies; huge data and software 
archives; tools for finding and retrieving information; a
bibliography of useful books and Internet documents.  Updated freq-
uently.

How-to-get-it: 

Send a message to [email-masked] with 
the text (leave subject line blank):

   open
   cd pub/academic/biology/ecology+evolution/bioguide
   get bioguide.faq
   get README
   quit
   
You will receive several messages. Save each separately, use your 
word processor to delete headers and trailers, merge the files.

This document is also obtainable by anonymous FTP, Gopher and Usenet.

AnaNet
------
Description:  A quartely newsletter on the taxonomy of anamorphic 
fungi, especially hyphomycetes.

Subscription: 

Send request to Keith Seifert ([email-masked])

ATCC Culture Collection
-----------------------
Description: On-line catalogue of the ATCC Culture Collection
      
Access:
1) telnet to your local Gopher server
2) point your Gopher to North America/USA/Maryland
3) find American Type Culture Collections
4) select ATCC Catalogues
5) select Fungi and Yeasts

For help send a message to: [email-masked]

BIOSCI electronic newsgroup network
-----------------------------------
Description:  A worldwide newsgroup network covering many 
different scientific aspects. "Mycology" is one; "Microbiology", 
"Yeasts" are others. 

Distribution: 

BIOSCI messages are distributed on the newsgroups in the "bionet" hierarchy
of USENET and by e-mail subscriptions. The contents of the USENET newsgroups
and the e-mails are identical and messages posted to USENET newgroups are
distributed to e-mail subscribers and vice versa.

More info can be obtained by sending the message (*no signature*)

  info ukinfo (if you are located in Europe, Africa or Central Asia)
or
  info usinfo (if you are located in the Americas or the Pacific Rim
 countries)

to [email-masked]

Access:

By USENET Newsgroups (*** RECOMMENDED ***) (q.v.) 
or
by e-mail subscriptions, which are handled automatically by e-mail servers.

If you are located in Europe, Africa or Central Asia you can obtain full
instruction by sending a message (*no signature*) to [email-masked].
(for personal assistance mail to [email-masked])

If you are located in the Americas or the Pacific Rim countries send the
following messages (*no signature*) to [email-masked]:

   lists                (to obtain a list of all mailing lists)
   subscribe listname   (substitute listname by the appropriate mailing list 
                         name obtained above)
(for personal assistance mail to [email-masked]) 

CBS Culture Collection
----------------------
Description: On-line catalogue of the CBS Culture Collection.

Access: 
Via X.25 link or modem and telephone line. Registration at CBS is needed.

For more info send a mail to [email-masked]

Databases at U.S. National Fungus Collections (SBML, USDA-ARS, Beltsville)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description:  Contains data from "Fungi on Plant and Plant Products 
in the US", databases on mycological literature references and 
citations, specimens in NFC, and Mycologia Index (1967-1988).

Access:
1) telnet to FUNGI.ARS-GRIN.GOV or use the IP-address 192.239.68.100
2) type LOGIN USER
3) password: USER

or login to the databases from the Animal and Plant Health Inspection 
Services
(APHIS):

4) telnet to FUNGI.ARS-GRIN.GOV or use the IP-address 192.239.68.100
5) type LOGIN APHIS
6) password: APHIS

For more info or help send a message to [email-masked]

Fungal Genetics Gopher 
----------------------
Description:  A joint project of the University of Kansas Fungal Genetics 
Stock Center and the University of Texas Medical School at Houston 
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics. Includes databases 
on the genetics of Fusarium, Podospora and other fungi.

Access:
1) telnet to your local Gopher server 
2) point your Gopher to North America/USA/Massachusetts
3) find Biodiversity and Biological Collections Gopher (at Harvard)
4) find Other Biological Gophers 
5) find Fungal Genetics at U. Texas Houston Med. School

IMI Culture Collection
----------------------
Description:  On-line catalogue of the IMI Culture Collection

Access: via Microbial Strain Data Network (q.v.)

MSA Bulletin Board
------------------
Description:  Bulletin board run by the Mycological Society of America
 
Reading messages: 
1) telnet to your local Gopher server 
2) point your Gopher to North America/USA/Massachusetts
3) find Biodiversity and Biological Collections Gopher (at Harvard)
4) select Biodiversity Information Resources
5) find Mycological Society of America Bulletin Board

Posting messages: 
Send your message by e-mail to [email-masked]

For more info or help send a message to [email-masked]

MSDN (Microbial Strain Data Network)
------------------------------------
Description:  Databases: ATCC, CCF, DSM, IMI, 
VKM Fungi a.o.  

Bulletin boards: Biodiversity Information Network (BIN) a.o.

Access: 
An account is needed (GBP 75.00 for 6 months). 
Send email request to [email-masked]

For more info send a mail to [email-masked]

MYCOLOGISTS ONLINE
------------------
Description: A listing of email addresses for mycologists world-wide.

Access:
1) telnet to your local Gopher server
2) point your Gopher to North America/USA/Massachusetts
3) find Biodiversity and Biological Collections Gopher (at Harvard)
4) select Biodiversity and Biological Collections Gopher
5) select Directories of Biologists
6) select Mycologists Online (MYCO)

You can search for individual names or download the whole file. Maintained by
Pavel Lizon ([email-masked]) and Erase Parmasto ([email-masked])

MYCONET
-------
Description: Serves four Internet mailing lists: i) mycological 
discussions; ii) medicinal uses of fungi; iii) educational 
applications of fungi; iv) development of mycological databases.

Access: 
Send email message to [email-masked] for updated info and 
instructions to use of the listserver.

Note:  As of Sept. 1994, there have been reports of difficulties
in contacting Myconet.  Our own attempts have been unsuccessful.

TAXACOM
-------
Description: A Listserv mailing list for discussions on 
biosystematics and biogeography.

Subscription:
Send a message to [email-masked] 
(*leave subject line blank* and *no signature*):
   signup taxacom your name    (e.g.: signup taxacom Ulf Thrane)

To unsubscribe send the message (*leave subject line blank* and *no
signature*):
  signoff taxacom

Posting messages:
Send a mail message to [email-masked]

For help send a message to [email-masked]

TAXACOM also includes an anonymous FTP server (MUSE.BIO.CORNELL.EDU) and a
dial-up bulletin board system (SysOp: [email-masked]).

More info on the TAXACOM project can be obtained by Gopher:
1) telnet to your local Gopher server 
2) point your Gopher to North America/USA/Massachusetts
3) find Biodiversity and Biological Collections Gopher (at Harvard)
4) select Biodiversity and Biological Collections Gopher
5) select Taxacom Services

USENET Newsgroups
-----------------
Description: A large global network of newsgroups covering...everything! 
Groups of interest could be bionet.mycology and bionet.microbiology 
(BIOSCI groups q.v.) and/or sci.agriculture, sci.bio, sci.bio.ecology and
sci.bio.technology

Access:
You need to be hooked up to a USENET Newsserver, which runs all the USENET
groups (>1000 groups), and you need some Newsreader software. Lots of public
domain software is available. When connected to your Newsserver, you can 
scan the group(s) you want to join, read, reply personally or to the 
newsgroup,
forward articles, post articles yourself - and you don't have to bother about
subscriptions etc. Your personal mailbox will only be filled with
Newsgroups-stuff you forward to yourself (or someone mail you
as an ordinary e-mail). 

Contact your local computer communication facility.

World Data Center on Microorganisms
-----------------------------------
Description: Contains the World Federation of Culture Collections 
database of world culture collections. Database on strains 
in the registered collections.

Access: 
1) telnet to your local Gopher server
2) point your Gopher to Asia 
3) find World Data Center on Microorganisms (WDC), RIKEN, Japan (near the
   bottom of the list)
4) select WDCM databases

For more info send a mail to [email-masked]

*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*
  Ulf Thrane                 E-mail (Internet): [email-masked]       
  The Mycology Group                     Phone: +45 4593 3066       
  Department of Biotechnology - 221   (direct): +45 4593 1222 x2630 
  Technical University of Denmark          Fax: +45 4288 4922       
  DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark                                           
*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*