Subject: Recycled compost

From: [email-masked] (Michael Wood)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 1994 16:04:52 GMT

Hi Rick:

Richard W. Kerrigan ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Did you know that Moonlight Mushrooms was fined $250,000 plus costs of 
: remediation for recycling spent mushroom compost into soil in hayfields 
: in rural Pennsylvania?

What's the logic behind this fine? What damage is claimed? What was the 
required remediation?

Please give us a little more info on this case...sounds interesting.

Thanks.

-- 
  |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
  |            Michael Wood             |       [email-masked]         |
  |       Paradigm Micro Systems        |       San Leandro, CA USA         |
  |_____________________________________|___________________________________|

---

From: Richard W. Kerrigan <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Sep 1994 09:33:26 -0400

Reply:

The short answer is that the 'alleged problem' was that stream runoff had
elevated salt content.  The agency was the PA D.E.R.  This settlement was
announced 12-24 months ago.  I'll post a better summary once I dig up some
clippings, talk to some folks, and get a bit of time. -- Rick

[Richard W. Kerrigan  Sylvan Research  [email-masked]]

Michael Wood ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hi Rick:

: Richard W. Kerrigan ([email-masked]) wrote:

: : Did you know that Moonlight Mushrooms was fined $250,000 plus costs of 
: : remediation for recycling spent mushroom compost into soil in hayfields 
: : in rural Pennsylvania?

: What's the logic behind this fine? What damage is claimed? What was the 
: required remediation?

: Please give us a little more info on this case...sounds interesting.

: Thanks.

: -- 
:   |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
:   |            Michael Wood             |       [email-masked]         |
:   |       Paradigm Micro Systems        |       San Leandro, CA USA         |
:   |_____________________________________|___________________________________|

---

From: [email-masked] (Hong Zhou)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 19:51:18 GMT

The logic of fining the company is that they should not pollute the
environment by adding even more nitrogen rich substrates to the soil. In
Holland we have a law which forbids mushroom farmers to put the wasted
substrate on the soil, because the sils are allready heavily polluted
with nitrogen from the acid rain. Especially on poor soils there is a
richdom of natural plants (and mushrooms!)