Subject: Fusarium

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 94 05:36:21 GMT

Hello.  I need some help with a project for my Crop Physiology/Ecology
course.  Our assignment is to post a question on the internet and to give an
informal report about the replies we've received.  My question is also interest
related, so any information would be doubly appreciated.
Does anyone have information on tomatoes and disease resistance to Fusarium
oxysporum?  I am mostly interested in disease mechanisms.  Might phytoalexins
and/or hypersensitive response play a role in the mechanisms?  I can and will
do a literature search on the above question, however for now, my assignment is
to try to get replies from the internet.  Thank you. 
Lori Calhoun
The University of Tennessee @ Knoxville
Plant and Soil Science
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 20:06:47 GMT

>The University of Tennessee @ Knoxville

Q.v. Goodman, R.N. and A.J. Novacky, 1994. The Hypersensitive reaction in
plants to pathogens: a resistance phenomenon. APS press, 256 pp.

Might they?  Yes.. there's a ton of literature out there on the general topic,
and more specific literature on the Fusarium o./Tomato pathosystem 
if I had time to look it all up.  If you read Ann. Rev. Phytopath. 1987 25:317
carefully and backtrack through the lit. cited (particularly Beckman's work)
you will probably find what you are looking for.  I hope someone directly 
involved in researching those two organisms can give you a more definitive 
response- I have some research going on another Fusarium species on a 
different host and it would be interesting to receive some illumination on 
the topic.
     A word of advice, however.  When you say you are in the midst 
of a literature search it is usually very difficult to get any sympathy on 
internet, since people assume that you will find what you need anyway and 
they shouldn't take too much time out to replicate your efforts.  The time 
internet really becomes valuable to me is when I've conducted my search and 
I'm stumped, or when I would like to know if anyone out there is conducting 
as-yet unpublished work on problem x, or when I have enough specific parts 
of a specific puzzle to achieve a quick response.  IHMO, fishing expeditions 
using internet at the outset of a general lit. search do turn up responses, 
but they rarely amount to much you shouldn't have been trying to find on 
your own.   -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]