Subject: Re: USDA National Needs Fellowships

From: [email-masked] (Les J. Szabo)
Date: 5 Oct 1994 14:19:55 -0700

We currently have one, possible two open positions for USDA National Needs 
Fellowships and we are looking for additional canidates. 
The tilte of the fellowship program is "Towards new and novel plant 
resistances to diseases caused by biotrophic fungi: molecular gentices of 
biotrophic fungal pathogens".  Our time frame is extremely short, please 
contact Dr. Zeyen by Oct. 15, 1994 if you are interested. 

Ph.D. Fellowships in Plant and Fungal Biotechnology

Two, three-year Ph.D. student fellowships from the USDA National Needs 
Graduate Fellowship Program in Plant Biotechnology are available in the 
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Minnesota, St Paul.  
Fellowship stipends are $17,000 annually.  Fellowship program research 
involves plant defense systems active against diseases caused by 
biotrophic fungi.  Research areas are: 1.) development 
of novel resistances for small grained cereals (oats and barley) using 
transgenics; 2.) genomic mapping of plant disease resistance genes in 
legumes using RFLP's; 3.) molecular genetics of biotrophic fungi, including 
mapping of aviulence genes in rust fungi.  Fellowships will be filled 
within the 1994-95 academic year.  Each supports a Ph.D. candidate for 3 
years.  Fellowship appointments can only be held by United States citizens 
pursuing a full-time Ph.D. program in plant pathology.  Fellowship 
applicants must meet or exceed all University of Minnesota Graduate School 
requirements. 

The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For information on the University of Minnesota, the Department of Plant 
Pathology, and graduate school registration materials contact:

Professor Richard J. Zeyen
Department of Plant Pathology
495 Borlaug Hall
University of Minnesota
St. Paul, Minnesota 55108
USA
Internet: [email-masked]
Phone:  612/625-4754
FAX:  612/625-9728

or
Les J. Szabo
Research Geneticist/Asst. Professor
USDA-ARS Cereal Rust Laboratory
Department of Plant Pathology
University of Minnesota
1551 Lindig St.
St. Paul, MN  55108
Phone: (612)625-3780
FAX: (612)649-5054
[email-masked]