Subject: Re: Old vs. New Wood?

From: [email-masked] (Bruno Pretto & Paula Vopni)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 07:34:22

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] ([email-masked]) writes:

>I have seen various discussions concerning the use of cut logs for the 
>growth of Grifola frondosa and Shiitake. 

I grow shiitake commercially outdoors on oak logs. By using winter cut fresh 
logs and inoculating them in the spring I am having almost 100% success rate 
against other competitor fungi. 
I beleive that you would be wasing your time using old wood as it is already 
being affected by other organisms and has probrably dried out as well.

bruno

---

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 04:27:44 GMT

Can someone give me a seat-of-the-pants opinion on the use of dead wood logs?

I live in an area that contains many down oak trees. I would like to put 
this wood to good use, but do not wish to waste a lot of time plugging 
logs to find some other fungi growing away -- i.e. infection by a more 
vigorous competitor.

Is there anything I can do to increase the odds of these logs working?

Also, what is the possiblity of using manzanita?

I have a ton of it in the back 2 arces, and would like to eat it in the 
form of mushrooms.

Thank you for your help
Claude Needham
[email-masked]

-- 
                                             [email-masked]