Subject: Cordyceps capitata

From: Chris Schadt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1994 09:02:04 -0800

I am taking an general mycology course this quarter and we recently ran 
across this "truffle eating" fungus on the Olympic penninsula of 
Washington State.  Arora's book "Mushrooms Demystified" says it might 
possibly be worth eating, but he could find no literature on it.  My lab 
TA said he had read that it or another Cordyceps and the truffle host 
were used ritually (in Australia?).  My question for the newsgroup is: 
does anybody know of or have access to any references on the subject and 
Does the parasitic fungus or the truffle or the fungus and truffle or 
neither have hallucinogenic properties? Thanks for any responses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
              /\      Christopher W. Schadt | "I never knew how soothing   
   /\        /||\     5249 17th Ave NE #6   |  trees are--many trees and
  /||\      //||\\ .  Seattle, WA 98105     |  patches of open sunlight,
 //||\\  .  //||\\/|\ (206) 517-5840        |  and tree presences--it is
 //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ [email-masked] |  almost like having another
 //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ Botany Undergraduate  |  being."
   ||    |    ||   |  Univ. of Washington   |   -D.H.Lawerence      
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Richard W. Kerrigan <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Nov 1994 09:17:23 -0500

Cordyceps sinensis, I believe, is used medicinally in China and Japan.

Rick Kerrigan ([email-masked])

*****
Chris Schadt ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I am taking an general mycology course this quarter and we recently ran 
: across this "truffle eating" fungus on the Olympic penninsula of 
: Washington State.  Arora's book "Mushrooms Demystified" says it might 
: possibly be worth eating, but he could find no literature on it.  My lab 
: TA said he had read that it or another Cordyceps and the truffle host 
: were used ritually (in Australia?).  My question for the newsgroup is: 
: does anybody know of or have access to any references on the subject and 
: Does the parasitic fungus or the truffle or the fungus and truffle or 
: neither have hallucinogenic properties? Thanks for any responses.

:  
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
:               /\      Christopher W. Schadt | "I never knew how soothing   
:    /\        /||\     5249 17th Ave NE #6   |  trees are--many trees and
:   /||\      //||\\ .  Seattle, WA 98105     |  patches of open sunlight,
:  //||\\  .  //||\\/|\ (206) 517-5840        |  and tree presences--it is
:  //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ [email-masked] |  almost like having another
:  //||\\ /|\ //||\\/|\ Botany Undergraduate  |  being."
:    ||    |    ||   |  Univ. of Washington   |   -D.H.Lawerence      
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------