Subject: Kombuche questions

From: [email-masked] (Mark Johnson)
Date: 3 Dec 1994 08:36:51 GMT

Can kombuche be dehydrated and then revived?

What properties does the tea have, and how does its consumption effect 
one's health?

Is it edible?

Does mixing it with other beverages imbrove or harm its beneficial 
properties?

Does Kombuche really not like metal?  

Thanks -markjo

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Johnson                  [email-masked]
Ray Ontko & Co.               (415)397-7152                   Have a nice day.

---

From: "Marcangelo B. Puccio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 1994 12:04:30 -0800

I have heard a small amount about this stuff...and have checked it out on 
a microscope.  In any case, I doubt it would survive dehydration, as it 
is a polyculture of several organisms - bacteria, yeast, some filamentous 
fungi and who knows what else.  I would hesitate to consume it - simply 
because some "molds" produce incredibly toxic material, and the various 
components of the kombucha haven't (as far as I know) been identified.  
Evidently, though it does show some antibiotic properties.  If you like 
to consume antibiotics recreationally, well go for it.  Paul Stamets put 
it rather well in a paper he compiled on the subject:  "If it aint broke, 
don't fix it..." etc.

A student in a mycology class I TA'd swore by the stuff, and would be 
scoffing at my skepticism if he saw this note.  I don't know about the 
metal or the other beverages. 

Why not eat Shiitake or Grifola, if you're looking for putative 
health-stimulating fungi?

Hope this helps, and take it with a grain of salt, as most of this is 
third-hand info.

-Marcangelo Puccio
 Graduate student, University of Wasington

---

From: [email-masked] (John Lin)
Date: 10 Dec 1994 14:45:04 -0800

try

gopher enuxsa.eas.asu.edu 6600

a dedicated gopher site for Kombucha info and articles.

Merry X'mas !
-- 
John Lin     *** Save the planet, save the world ! ***

e-mail: [email-masked]