Subject: shiitake spawn - beginner questions

From: [email-masked] (Ron Steriti)
Date: 1 Dec 1994 00:29:43 GMT

I have just received my block of shiitake spawn and wanted
to check whether i'm growing it properly. At present the bag has 
expanded (due to CO2) and there a several brown spots, the largest
about the size of a quarter
>From  what i've read in Stamets book  i should:

  1. Keep it upstairs (70-80degrees f) until primoridoria form
     These, i believe are  very small shiitakes on the brown spots
	(how small?, are they easy to spot?)
	I keep the block in the mailing box, lightly covered
	with the packing material, is that enough light?

 2. After primeridia is found, move it to the basement (50-60 dF)
    and carefully open the bag, wait for initial mushroom formation,
    cut and eat when they look large and tasty, wait for next batch

	How much light does it need?
	Should i spray it w/ water? How often?

Last question: what's the easiest way to grow more shiitakes?

I was planning on taking a spore, innoculating pressure cooked rice,
waiting, and then using the rice to innoculate bags of pressure      
cooked sawdust & wood chips.
	Is it easier to innoculate the sawdust from sporeprint?
	Can ordinary oven cooking bags be used? 
 
Thanks for all the help!
ron
-- 
Dr. Ronald Steriti    [email-masked]   
		      http://dragon.cpe.uml.edu/~steriti/Home.html

Living has taught me how to think, but thinking has not taught me how to live.
   -Herzen