Subject: Nature of Sparassis crispa

From: [email-masked] (Stametsfam)
Date: 28 Oct 1994 00:46:06 -0400

I am perplexed by Sparassis crispa. Not mycorrhizal,
 it does seem to be dependent on complex ecological
 constituents. I have gotten so far as to get a flat
 plateau of convoluted ridges - an aborted  fruitbody -
on  sterilized conifer sawdust. Does anyone have any 
insights into its ecology or suggestions for its cultivation
 - indoors or outdoors in natural landscapes. Does anyone
 know of any successes in cultivation?

     Thank you very much. 

Paul Stamets   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (P. Gordon Werner)
Date: 4 Nov 1994 02:20:17 GMT

[email-masked] (Paul Stamets) writes:

> constituents.

Its a parasite, not a mutualistic symbiont.  I've only seen 
it parasitising pine species, but it may affect other kinds 
of trees as well. 

PGW

---

From: [email-masked] (Edward Gosfield)
Date: 7 Nov 1994 06:15:48 GMT

P. Gordon Werner ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (Paul Stamets) writes:

: >     I am perplexed by Sparassis crispa. Not mycorrhizal,
: > it does seem to be dependent on complex ecological
: > constituents.

: Its a parasite, not a mutualistic symbiont.  I've only seen 
: it parasitising pine species, but it may affect other kinds 
: of trees as well. 

: PGW

I have seen it on deciduous trees in the PA woods (oak or maple, most 
likely, but i forget which one)

[email-masked]