Subject: Re: Cultivation of Cantharellus cibarius, mykhorrhiza

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 19:26:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
(Stamets 1) writes:
>In article <[email-masked]>,
>
>thanks for the info. I think Nils Fries is the one who published the spore
>germination w/R. glutinus article. check out his bibliography in the
>article you sighted. I should think it would be there. 

I back-checked through all of the previous work Nils cited on this topic.
Unfortunately, I could find no reference to C. cibarius.  The paper
is probably later, or disconnected from the chain of references that I have
in my posession.

There is a paper in which Nils tries the R. glutinus/charcoal technique on 
Laccaria laccata, Amanita muscaria, Lactarius helvus, Paxillus involutus, and 
Leccinum scabrum.  (Fries, N., 1978. Basidiosproe germination in some
mycorrhiza-forming hymenomycetes.  Trans. Brit. Mycol. Soc. 70:319-324).  It
looks like a good general technique for germinating most any basidiospore.

There are two references which I couldn't check on because I don't have ready
access to them:

Fries, N. 1941. Uber die Sporenkeimung bei einigen Gasteromyceten und
Mykorrhiza-bildenden Hymenomyceten. Archiv für Mikrobiologie 12:266-284.

Fries, N. 1943. Untersuchungen über Sporenkeimung und Mycelentwicklung
botenbewohndender Hymenomyceten. Symbolae Botanicae Upsalinense 6:1-81.

Sorry I couldn't find anything that would be of more specific help.  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]