Subject: Neurospora mapping

From: [email-masked] (Dan Ebbole)
Date: 20 Oct 1994 05:54:06 -0700

I would like to know the status of genome mapping information being
collected for Neurospora.  Two years ago this topic was discussed at
Asilomar, and with the meeting coming up again, I thought it might be of
interest to discuss plans for fungal genome mapping in general and
Neurospora in particular.

The YAC library is available from the FGSC and I just got a copy of it.  I
suspect that a systematic physical map is a long way off based on the
progress that has been made so far.  I imagine people will eventually get
hybridization filters made and find which YAC contain genes or RFLP markers
they are interested in.  Maybe it would be useful for FGSC to also provide
the YAC library as DNA fixed to membranes for hybridization.  It would
probably save money to pay FGSC for the membranes rather than have every
lab make their own.
------------------------
Dr. Daniel Ebbole
[email-masked]
Dept. of Plant Pathology and Microbiology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-2132