Subject: Help finding a gelatinous mushroom ...

From: [email-masked] (William783)
Date: 24 Oct 1994 00:37:06 -0400

It is probably all too obvious that I'm not a mycologist.

But I've was told about a gelatinous mushroom that grows is Oregon.
I actually saw one in Oct of '92 (my how times flies) at a Mychology
workshop.  I didn't write the name down.  Can anyone guide me to what it
is called and if there are more than one.   I'm particularly interested in
its range, and in any native american uses of it.

A woman in California who makes paper out of mushrooms said at this
workshop that it could be use as a sizing.

Any help will be appreciated.

And good hunting this Autumn.

William

---

From: [email-masked] (Lorelei Norvell)
Date: 23 Oct 1994 22:44:27 -0700

On 24 Oct 1994, William783 wrote:
> workshop.  I didn't write the name down.  Can anyone guide me....>

	William.  We shall probably need a little more information than 
you have given us.  If the mushroom was the consistency of jelly and an 
edible, you may be referring to Auricularia auricula (sometimes called a 
Tree Ear) which is brown colored.  There are two types of Witche's Butter 
(Tremella mesenterica and Dacrymyces palmatus) which are brilliant 
yellow.  There is a little whitish mushroom with "teeth" on the underside 
sometimes called the Jelly Tooth (Pseudohydnum gelatinosum).  And there 
is also the orange colored Phlogiotis helvelloides(Apricot Jelly Mushroom).
Other possibilities include Exidia glandulosa, Tremella cerebriformis, 
Guepiniopsis (Heterotextus) alpina, and Calocera viscosa, among others.
	Could you describe what you remember?
Lorelei

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Winder)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 22:10:07 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
(William783) writes:
>is called and if there are more than one.   

Could you give us a color (orange, yellow, brown, clear, etc.) to narrow 
this down a bit?		-RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: [email-masked]