Subject: Re: indoor air quality

From: [email-masked] (Stamets 1)
Date: 18 Nov 1994 13:40:03 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Jessie Micales) writes:

I set up alot of clean rooms utilizing HEPA and ULPA micron filters in 
series with coarse pre-filters and electrostatics. They screen down to
.3 microns with 99.99% and .1 microns with 99.999% efficiency. I 
recently found a hand-help Laser Particle Meter which we will be 
offerring for $ 1995.00 US. This is the single most useful instrument
I have held in my 20 years in tissue culture. Off the face of the 
HEPA filters, with 1 minute sampling of 100 cc. of air, I get "O"
particulates -
which is what you're supposed to get. In LBA II (1200 sq. ft. clean room),

particle counts have ranged from as low as 75 (after no employees
have entered for three days) to as high as 4000. Air is impacted through
micron filters every 60-120 seconds through two redundant filtration
systems. By comparison, outside particle counts range from 30,000 -
100,000. 

For your information, ionizers pale in comparison to the efficiency of 
the filtration system described above. This Laser Particle Meter is
often referred to us as a "Truth Meter" because it gives an unbiased
assessment of the hygeinic quality of our personnel.

This directly relates to your concern because you measure ambient
particle counts, the effect of various remedies, etc....

I would never go to a hospital without packing a portable laminar flow
hood (HEPA filtered) knowing now what I do. It's amazing we can
survive given the numbers......

paul stamets

---

From: [email-masked] (Jessie Micales)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 18:59:24 GMT

Greetings everyone!  I haven't followed this particular newsgroup much, but 
I'm going to start.  My apologies if I am replowing old ground.

Does anyone have any information (reprints, the names of current 
researchers, etc.) on the influence of mold spores on indoor air quality?  I 
attended a symposium in Prague last summer where they were saying that a 
complex of dust mites, mold spores, and toxic chemicals (released from 
furniture, paneling, etc.) contributes to the "sick building" phenomenon.  I 
often get phone calls regarding mold in houses, and now I think I would like 
to pursue this as a research topic.  Any ideas?  Regards....

Jessie A. Micales
[email-masked]
U.S. Forest Products Laboratory
Durendal Fencing Club

---

From: [email-masked] (jlacey)
Date: 29 Nov 1994 12:37:46 GMT

>U.S. Forest Products Laboratory

You might find the following books helpful as a start to finding your way 
around indoor air microorganisms in relation to health:

Singh, J. (Ed.) 1994.  Building Mycology: Management of Decay and Health 
in Buildings. London, E & FN Spon.

Rylander, R. and Jacobs, R.R. (Eds.). 1994.  Organic Dusts: Exposure, 
Effects and Prevention.  Boca Raton, FL, Lewis Publishers.

I can provide other references to airborne microorganisms and occupational
health if required.

John Lacey
[email-masked]