Subject: Re: Oyster Mushroom Reaction

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Oct 93 15:08:57 GMT

> To:            [email-masked]
> From:          [email-masked]
> Subject:       Oyster Mushroom Reaction
> Date:          13 Oct 93 12:02:48 GMT
> Reply-to:      [email-masked]

> Hello:  I had a friend who ate a few "tree oyster mushrooms" raw and
> had a bad experience after ten minutes... vomiting, itching ears and
> throat, a feeling of "spaciness" etc.  She went to the hospital where
> the docs gave her a shot of antihistimine.
>
> My question is... Though I suspect wild mushrooms are not meant to be
> eaten raw, was this a common response?  an allergic response? etc.

Some types of mushrooms can be poisonous. Some poisonous mushroom
resemble edible varieties. You're friend may have mixed up a poisonous
mushroom with an edible variety.

> Sorry, I do not have the latin name of the mushroom...bummer, eh?
>
> Thanks,  Robyn Klein
>
>Stephen A. Pluhar
[email-masked]           Dept. Crop Science  U. of Guelph
Phone: 519-824-4120 Ext. 4865      Guelph, Ontario, Canada. N1G 2W1

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandy Silverman)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 20:17:45 GMT

My mushroom-hunting expert friends have told me that generally non-toxic
muchrooms can cause allergic reactions in some people.  So, when trying
a new muchroom, one should always eat a very little bit the first time.
--
Sanford Silverman                      >Opinions expressed here are my own<
American Cyanamid  
[email-masked], [email-masked]     "Yeast is Best"