Subject: Research Assistantships in Fungal Population Genetics

From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Oct 93 21:38:42 GMT

GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIPS IN FUNGAL 
POPULATION GENETICS

THE DEPARTMENT OF PLANT PATHOLOGY AND 
MICROBIOLOGY, TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY

I AM SEEKING PH.D. STUDENTS WHO ARE INTERESTED IN 
THE POPULATION GENETICS OF FUNGI.  
In my lab, we utilize an assortment of DNA-based markers, including 
RFLPs in nuclear and mtDNA, DNA fingerprints, and electrophoretic 
karyotypes, to address fundamental questions about the roles of sexual 
and asexual reproduction, gene flow, genetic drift, founder events, and
selection in the evolution of plant pathogenic fungi.  Applicants should
be interested in applying basic analytical methods of population genetics
to interpret molecular data.  For an overview of the types of questions we
address, see the May, 1993 BioScience 43:311-319 article on "Population
genetics of plant pathogenic fungi".  I will be glad to send a list of
other relevant publications to interested students and faculty advisors.

THE ASSISTANTSHIPS INCLUDE STIPENDS AND FULL MEDICAL BENEFITS.  
Students may receive degrees either in Genetics or in Plant Pathology.
As part of the Program for Biology of Filamentous Fungi (PBOFF) at 
Texas A&M University, students will be associated with one of the largest 
concentrations of fungal biologists at a North American university.  
Literature on PBOFF will be sent upon request.

ASSISTANTSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY AND WILL 
REMAIN AVAILABLE UNTIL SUITABLE STUDENTS ARE FOUND.
I will be glad to send additional information to interested students and
faculty advisors.  Please contact me via Internet (preferred), letter, phone, 
or FAX.  

Bruce McDonald
Dept. Plant Pathology and Microbiology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX  77843-2132
Internet:  [email-masked]
Bitnet:  BAM1587@TAMZEUS
Phone:  409-845-7311
FAX:  409-845-6483