Subject: CSH Course

From: [email-masked] (Leland Ellis)
Date: 10 Sep 93 12:40:09 GMT

>From [email-masked] Fri Sep 10 07:29:05 CDT 1993
Article: 53 of bionet.announce
Path: TAMUTS.TAMU.EDU!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!biosci!cshl.org
From: [email-masked] ( CSHL)
Newsgroups: bionet.announce
Subject: Course Announcement
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 93 03:25:05 GMT
Sender: [email-masked]
Organization: Cold Spring Harbor Lab, NY
Lines: 79
Approved: [email-masked]
Status: R

Course Announcement:

Schedule for 1993 Cold Spring Harbor Course "Essential Computational Genomics
for Biologists".  03 - 12 November, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. 

Organizer: Tom Marr, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. 

Funded by the National Center for Human Genome Research (NIH/NCHGR).

The course is intended for molecular biologists who have modest skills in the
use of computers, but who have need to use computers to solve problems
associated with their research. There are limited funds available to help
defray the cost of attending the course. Applications and information may be
obtained from: Meetings Office, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1 Bungtown 
Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724-2213, Phone (516)367-8346, Fax
(516)367-8845.  

Evenings are reserved for students working on computers, using a variety 
of computer programs that demonstrate the application of techniques learned
in the daily sessions.

This year's course will include the following topics in roughly this order:

Day 1: (03 Nov)

Dan Davison - Unix and biological resources on the INTERNET (various data
servers)

Day 2: (04 Nov)

Nat Goodman - database technologies - relational, object oriented, etc. 
(morning)

Michael Cinkosky - Relational Databases and SQL (afternoon) 

Day 3: (05 Nov)

Ken Fasman - the Genome Database (morning)

Elbert Branscomb - an integrated relational database to support genome mapping 
and analysis (afternoon)

Day 4: (06 Nov)

Tom Marr, Elbert Branscomb, Bill Chang - Physical mapping of genomes (morning)
 
Phil Green - Basic Statistics and Probability (afternoon)

Day 5: (07 Nov)

Phil Green - Basic Statistics, continued (morning)

Phil Green - The Worm sequencing project: Gene finding (afternoon) - 

Day 6: (08 Nov)

Steve Lincoln - Genetic Linkage, MapMaker/QTL (morning/afternoon)

Day 7: (09 Nov)

Bill Pearson - Protein Evolution (morning)

Stephen Altschul - statistical theory of sequence searching (afternoon)

Day 8: (10 Nov)

Bill Pearson - sequence analysis, FASTA, Smith-Waterman (morning)

Greg Schuler - MACAW/BLAST and other NCBI tools (afternoon)

Day 9: (11 Nov)

Randy Smith - PIMA, PAUP, sequence clustering (morning/afternoon)

Day 10: (12 Nov)