Subject: Graduate Assistantship: Mol. Biol. of Plant/Pathogen Interactions

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1993 17:32:18 GMT

GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIP

               MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF PLANT/PATHOGEN INTERACTIONS

PROJECT ABSTRACT - We are investigating disease resistance mechanisms in
the interaction between canola (Brassica napus) and the blackleg fungus
Leptosphaeria maculans. Specifically our objectives are:
    1. To obtain genomic clones for Brassica homologues of the pea disease
       resistance response gene drr49.
    2. To transform Brassica with a chimeric 35S-drr49 Brassica gene and
       to determine whether constitutive expression of this gene enhances
       or otherwise affects resistance to Brassica pathogens.
    3. To investigate the expression of the Brassica drr49 gene in
       transgenic plants containing Brassica drr49 promoters fused with a
       reporter gene. The expression of these reporter genes in response
       to pathogens will make it possible to pinpoint the cells that
       express these genes, and to observe the timing of gene induction.
       Transgenic plants will be challenged with both incompatible and
       compatible fungi in order to detect differences in gene expression
       between resistant and susceptible interactions, respectively.  

QUALIFICATIONS - B.S. or M.Sc. in Genetics, Biochemistry, Plant Pathology
or related field. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in
Plant Pathology and some experience in recombinant DNA.
 
THE POSITION - Funding to cover tuition and stipend for an M.Sc. or Ph.D.
student is available January 1994 through March 1996. Applications must
be received by October 15, 1993.  

THE UNIVERSITY, WINNIPEG AND MANITOBA - The University of Manitoba is one
of Canada's major centers for agricultural research. Other academic and
research institutions in Winnipeg include Agriculture Canada, the U. of
M. Health Sciences campus and the Univ. of Winnipeg. Winnipeg offers a
cosmopolitan mixture of culture and entertainment, including the Royal
Winnipeg Ballet, and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, as well as the NHL
Jets and CFL Blue Bombers. The comparatively low cost of living, clean air
and friendly people combine to make Winnipeg a very liveable city.
Winnipeg is at the interface of the prairie and boreal forest, and the
Manitoba lake country offers opportunities for boating, fishing and
wilderness camping. 

APPLICATIONS - Send curriculum vitae including a brief (one page)
description of either your research experience or research interests.
Promising applicants will be asked to submit a formal application. 
Send C.V's to: 
               Dr. Brian Fristensky
               Department of Plant Science
               University of Manitoba
               Winnipeg, MB CANADA  R3T 2N2 

Phone: 204-474-6085   FAX: 204-261-5732   Email: [email-masked]

C.V'S SENT BY ELECTRONIC MAIL OR FAX WILL GET TOP PRIORITY.