Subject: Oyster Mushroom Reaction

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 08:02:48

Hello:  I had a friend who ate a few "tree oyster mushrooms" raw and
had a bad experience after ten minutes... vomiting, itching ears and
throat, a feeling of "spaciness" etc.  She went to the hospital where
the docs gave her a shot of antihistimine.  

My question is... Though I suspect wild mushrooms are not meant to be
eaten raw, was this a common response?  an allergic response? etc.

Sorry, I do not have the latin name of the mushroom...bummer, eh?

Thanks,  Robyn Klein

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Veselenak)
Date: 13 Oct 1993 15:04:39 GMT

> eaten raw, was this a common response?  an allergic response? etc.

Yes, you are right, it is not recommended that wild mushrooms be eaten raw. 
Some even suggest this for storebought mushrooms.

The mushroom was probably Pleurotus ostreatus

--
   ___________________________________________________________________
  |                              |                                    |
  |        Jim Veselenak         | There are old mushroom hunters     |
  |   Sangamon State University  |   There are bold mushroom hunters  |
  |  [email-masked] |     But there are no old, bold     |
  |        217-786-7346          |        mushroom hunters!           |
  |______________________________|____________________________________|

---

From: [email-masked] (ROBERT MULROY)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 18:02:19 GMT

> Sorry, I do not have the latin name of the mushroom...bummer, eh?

Apparently, the spores of tree oysters contain a powerful sensitizer which is
destroyed upon heating.  Simply being in a poorly ventilated room with the
fresh mushrooms has caused near-anaphalactiod shock in some people. 

I saw another follow-up where the poster was poisoned by  _Armilarellia Mellea_
group mushrooms. -They were lucky they only ate a couple of bites.

It is best to never eat raw mushrooms of _any_ species,  although I understand
_Fistulina Hepatica_ can be consumed in this manner. 

I always thought that mushrooms grew in butter and pepper? 

Bob