Subject: Swimming cultures

From: [email-masked] (Marc T Alter)
Date: 7 Jan 1994 04:54:53 GMT

I just opened up my cold storage of shiitake and oyster mushroom mycelium to 
find my petri dishes filled with water, from condensation I assume.  I'm 
wondering if anyone knows if this might have any ill effects on the viability 
of the cultures.

Thanks,
Marc Alter

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Snider)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 1994 09:07:33 GMT

Marc T Alter ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I just opened up my cold storage of shiitake and oyster mushroom mycelium to 
: find my petri dishes filled with water, from condensation I assume.  I'm 
: wondering if anyone knows if this might have any ill effects on the viability 
: of the cultures.

: Thanks,
: Marc Alter

I had the same thing happen to some of my cultures of shitake mycelium
and it wasn't pretty. I tried to inoculate a few jars of sawdust/bran 
mixture an got a good start on a jar sized compost heap. I now seal the
petri dishes with a self sticking silicon based tape. (Made by 3M) 

Lee Snider