Subject: WWW-AAnDB and WWW-ABtDB

From: [email-masked] (Leland Ellis)
Date: 09 Feb 1994 19:07:49 GMT

WWW-AAnDB and WWW-ABtDB

	      WWW-ACeDB Servers for Aspergillus and Cows

			   available on the

			      WWW Server

				of the

       W.M. Keck Center for Genome Informatics at the Institute
		      Biosciences and Technology
			 Texas A&M University
			       Houston

		  URL: http://keck.tamu.edu/ibt.html

WWW-AAnDB-1.0 is an experimental WWW interface to the data contained
in AAnDB-1.0 (implemented in ACeDB-3.0, the latest version of Richard
Durbin and Jean Thierry-Mieg's ACeDB) and is a prototype for a
database with datatypes useful in the study of Aspergillus nidulans
(and potentially other filamentous fungi).  It utilizes the elegant
ACeDB Server software (nph-acedb3) developed by Guy Decoux at
([email-masked]).  AAnDB-1.0 is a collaboration of Keck-IBT and
Tom Adams (Department of Biology, Texas A&M University) and Greg May
(Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine).

WWW-ABtDB-1.0 is an experimental WWW interface to the data contained
in ABtDB-1.0, and is also implemented in ACeDB-3.0 and nph-acedb3.  It
also contains data for human homologs of bovine loci, with links
between species.  The data models provided in the Human Chromosome 21
ACeDB-3.0 by Otter Ritter and co. were a very useful starting point to
use for both new bovine Tags, as well as the addition of homolog
functionality.  ABtDB-1.0 is a collaboration of Keck- IBT and Jim
Womack (College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University).

Both of these WWW-ACeDB servers are accessible via the WWW Server of
Keck-IBT.  This URL

http://keck.tamu.edu/ibt.html

will take you to the Keck-IBT HomePage -- clicking on the Keck-IBT
logo takes you to our 1st page of information.

The link

What's New on the Keck-IBT WWW Server

leads to an ever-changing page which serves as a running dialog of our
experimentation with this interface, and has links to both
WWW-AAnDB-1.0 and WWW-AAnDB-1.0, as well as to further information and
references about what is in the databases.  Also, Jeff Kirk
([email-masked]) has put together a Tutorial on how these Servers
were set up, with pointers to where the components can be found.

Both WWW servers should be regarded as experimental prototypes -- they
do work, and we find them useful, but the data models are being
experimented with daily, and new data is always being added.  Finally,
neither db is anywhere near comprehensive in the data included, but is
illustrative of the datatypes that we routinely use in the study of
these organisms.

Any feedback is very welcome at:

[email-masked] or [email-masked]

Leland Ellis, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry and Biophysics
Director, W.M. Keck Center for Genome Informatics
Institute of Biosciences and Technology
Texas A&M University
2121 Holcombe
Houston, Texas  77030
email: [email-masked]
URL:   http://keck.tamu.edu/ibt.html
--
Leland Ellis, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry and Biophysics
Director, W.M. Keck Center for Genome Informatics
Institute of Biosciences and Technology
Texas A&M University
2121 Holcombe
Houston, Texas  77030
email: [email-masked]
URL:   http://keck.tamu.edu/ibt.html