Subject: uses for mushrooms?

From: [email-masked] (Cory M Wisnia)
Date: 4 Jan 1994 11:56:13 -0800

Hi, my name is Hilary White. I go to the Mendocino Middle school and I 
am in eighth grade. I am doing a project on mushrooms. I was wondering if 
any one knows any thing using mushrooms, especially their uses in dying.  
I'm interested in what kinds of mushrooms have colors which would be used 
for yellow coloring, red coloring, gray and any other color that any type 
of mushroom might make. In my project I am going to have information 
about the different uses of mushrooms. So I am interested in other uses 
besides dying as well. I have looked in our school library for books on 
mushrooms without much of a result and nothing on their uses. What are 
some of the different uses ? Are there any that relate to medicine? I 
know that molds have medical uses, but I am more interested in mushrooms.
Please e-mail to my teacher Cory Wisnia at, [email-masked]

Thank You Hilary--

___________________________________________                            
||   >>>/\__/\>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<      ||
||     / \|/  \  CORY  WISNIA             ||                                  
||     |(O)(O) | [email-masked] ||         
||     \  ×   /  MENDOCINO   CA           ||
||___>>|||---|||>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<______||

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Harris)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 94 05:44:39 GMT

In Article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Cory M
>some of the different uses ? Are there any that relate to medicine? I 

Paul Stamets has a new book out called "Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms".
Also up in Mendocino is Miriam Rice who has done a lot of work with Mushroom
Dyes as well as Dorothy Bebee. They also have a newsletter on the subject.
You might try contacting the local mycological society or if not, try the
San Francisco Mycological society. They have lending libraries etc of books
about uses of mushrooms. Also there were a few books done in the 1960's by
CRC (Chemical Rubber Company Press) about the use of fungi as food.
Bob Harris
8 :-)

---

From: [email-masked] (Sandy Silverman)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 21:14:46 GMT

dying: YES!, mushrooms can make you die!
dyeing: good luck with your hunt for new dyes from mushrooms!
--
Sanford Silverman                      >Opinions expressed here are my own<
American Cyanamid  
[email-masked], [email-masked]     "Yeast is Best"

---

From: [email-masked] (Cory M Wisnia)
Date: 11 Jan 1994 05:49:06 -0800

Hilary has received a wonderful variety of letters with regard to her 
project,  and yes,  we did get her the Miriam Rice book on mushroom 
dyeing --and she is probably going to try to interview Miriam for part of 
her project.  One of the areas of interest that came up was the 
investigative use of fungi for illnesses such as AIDS.  Does anybody know 
of a further source of information on that?

Thanks for all the help for Hilary!

Cory Wisnia