Subject: Re: close 5' ends
From: [email-masked] (Brett Tyler)
Date: 28 Apr 1994 14:00:21 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

At  1:04 PM 4/28/94 -0700, John.Pitkin wrote:
>   We have recently mapped the 5' ends of two linked genes which are both
>involved in HC-toxin production in Cochliobolus carbonum.  These genes are
>transcribed from opposite DNA strands, and are only 412 bp apart.  Given the
>"average" size of filamentous fungal promoters, these genes are remarkably
>close together.  Does anyone know of other such close genes/promoters?  The
>only other example I know of is the qa cluster of N. crassa, and I think the
>closest genes in this cluster are c. 1 kb apart.
>
>
>  Thank you
>John Pitkin
>MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory
>Michigan State University
>e-mail: [email-masked]

Actually the closest genes in the qa cluster are the qa-1F and qa-1S
regulatory genes which are divergently transcribed with a separation of 370
bp.  In fact they share a common single binding site for the activator
protein (qa-1F).

In another case we are working on, all the elements for transcription of a
ribsomal protein gene  are located within 190 bp of the transcription
startpoint.

Brett Tyler
Associate Professor
[email-masked]