Subject: Subscription Update
From: [email-masked] (Robert Brambl)
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 21:58:31 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

Reply-To: [email-masked] (Robert Brambl)

Greetings, once again:

OK. What I wrote last week about subscriptions (subscribe/unsubscribe) to  
the Mycology newsgroup became outdated over the weekend, at least as it  
pertains to those of you residing in Europe, Africa, and Central Asia. All  
others (in the Americas and the Pacific Rim) can ignore this note. (This  
sounds more like Zeus speaking than actually intended, considering the  
mundane issue).

The Daresbury server has just been equipped to automatically strip  
addresses from mail headers. The following message is what I learned  
Monday morning from the Bionet administrative staff in their April 30  
update; the gist of the message is to tell you to contact [email-masked] for  
exact instructions. (Verbatim message follows):
*********************************************************************
E-mail Subscription Requests and other Information
--------------------------------------------------
For users in Europe, Africa, and Central Asian countries, e-mail
subscription and cancellation requests are handled automatically by an
e-mail server, although personal assistance is also available via the
[email-masked] address.

Once your e-mail address is added to a subscription list, mail will be
sent to your address automatically each time someone posts a message.
This will continue until you remove your address from the subscription
list.

To obtain instructions automatically on BIOSCI e-mail server use,
please send a message to the address

        [email-masked]

                                NOTE!!

WE WILL ASSUME THAT YOU HAVE FOLLOWED THESE INSTRUCTIONS and will
DELETE any message to the administrative address [email-masked]
that simply requests us to carry out manually "subscribe" or
"unsubscribe" commands without further explanation. IF YOU NEED HUMAN
ASSISTANCE, PLEASE SAY SO PROMINENTLY AND EXPLICITLY AT THE BEGINNING
OF YOUR MAIL.  For example, please put the line

ASSISTANCE NEEDED

at the beginning of the body of your message or in the Subject: line
of your message to [email-masked].

E-mail Address Changes
----------------------
If you have subscribed to a newsgroup and are now leaving an
institution or changing your e-mail address, it is IMPERATIVE that you
send a note to [email-masked] and cancel your subscription!
Non-existent addresses or overflowing mailboxes cause computer mail
programs to send back "daemon" messages which might bother everybody
on the newsgroup.  We will immediately remove any address causing such
a problem, but would prefer it if you would notify us in advance as a
courtesy to the rest of the user community.

Interruption of E-mail Service
------------------------------
It is our policy to remove any address from our mailing lists which
becomes inaccessible and causes mail to bounce back to the sender.
This might happen to you if your local computer or network fails for a
significant period of time.  If you notice that you are no longer
receiving BIOSCI postings, it may be because your address was removed
for the above reason.  It will be necessary for you to contact
[email-masked] and resubscribe.  Please see the BIOSCI FAQ,
mentioned at the beginning of this document, for more details on how
BIOSCI handles addresses which reject mail.

Posting Messages to Newsgroups by E-mail
----------------------------------------
Those who use e-mail to post messages should send their mail to the
following addresses in the U.K.:

**********************************************************************
DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION OR CANCELLATION REQUESTS
DIRECTLY TO ANY OF THE NEWSGROUP E-MAIL POSTING ADDRESSES.  PLEASE USE
ONLY THE ADDRESS

                      [email-masked]

for subscription or cancellation requests as explained above.  Your
posting could go to several thousand people.  Supposing that each
person spends a couple of seconds to figure out that you did this,
before they go on to the next message.  You will have wasted the
equivalent of several hours of one person's time, not to mention
wasted computer time and disk storage.