Subject: Re: computer software servers
From: [email-masked] ("Doug Rhoads")
Date: 3 May 1994 08:45:50 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

>To:             [email-masked]
>From:           [email-masked] (Seanna Annis)
>Subject:        computer software servers
>Date sent:      26 Apr 1994 18:29:00 GMT

>
>There was a recent reply to a question about codon usage in fungi, that
>suggested obtaining the program SEQAID.  What are some popular mol.bio.
>computer software servers?  I am very new on the internet and so am only
>slowly finding my way around.  I found the FASTA program recently, but I
>don't know where to find other useful programs like SEQAID.  Would some
>more experienced users pass along their knowledge please.
>
>Thanks for any help.  Seanna

I would try connecting to ftp.bio.indiana.edu
Don Gilbert has done a wonderful job there and has not only some good 
shareware software for download but also a good gopher-hole for Genbank 
name search and retrieval.  If you don't have a copy of Gopher I would 
suggest you stop off in the gopher software directories and pick up a 
copy.  If you aren't hard-wired into the internet then you should at 
least get a gopher client onto your local network machine.  Sure makes 
surfing the internet easier.  By the way.  SEQAID is for DOS only and is 
available for ftp from IUBio at ftp.bio.indiana.edu

Doug Rhoads                  || Dept. of Biological Sciences
[email-masked]     || 601 Science Engineering
[email-masked]     || University of Arkansas
501-575-3251                 || Fayetteville, AR 72701