Subject: A Biologist's Guide to Internet Resources
From: [email-masked] (Robert Brambl)
Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 16:09:12 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

The following document by Una Smith (Yale) is reposted from elsewhere on  
the net.  It isis a very useful document, and highly recommended: 

				How to Get
		A Biologist's Guide to Internet Resources

The free, 40-page Guide contains an overview and lists of free Internet
resources such as:  scientific discussion groups, including newsgroups
and mailing lists;  research newsletters, directories, and bibliographies;
the major biological data and software archives;  tools for finding and
retrieving information;  answers to some frequently asked questions;  and
a bibliography of useful books and Internet documents.

Gopher:  Go to sunsite.unc.edu, and choose this sequence of menu items:

		Worlds of SunSITE -- by Subject
			Ecology and Evolution

      Or, from any gopher offering other biology gophers by subject, look
      for the menu item "Ecology and Evolution".  The Guide is stored
      there in two ways:  as a file for easy retrieval of the entire file,
      and as a menu for browsing and retrieving key sections.

      Sunsite.unc.edu offers public telnet access to their gopher client,
      if you don't have your own.  Telnet to sunsite.unc.edu and read the
      instructions before the login prompt.

Anonymous FTP:  Connect to sunsite.unc.edu.  Give the username "anonymous"
      and your e-mail address as the password.  Use the "cd" command to go
      to the directory
		pub/academic/biology/ecology+evolution/

      and use "get bioguide.faq" to copy the Guide to your computer.

E-mail:  Send the text:

		send pub/usenet/sci.answers/biology/guide/*
		send pub/usenet/sci.answers/index
		quit

      to:
                [email-masked]

      You will receive the Guide in several parts:  save each part
separately,
      use a text editor to delete the e-mail headers and trailers of each,
      and merge them.  You will also receive a useful index of all other
FAQs
      on (more or less) scientific topics.  Use "quit" to prevent the mail
      server from trying to interpret your signature as an instruction. 
For
      help using the mail server, use "help".

      Rtfm.mit.edu also accepts anonymous FTP requests.

Usenet:  Look in sci.answers or news.answers.

-- 
	Una Smith			[email-masked]

Department of Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT  06520-8104  USA