Subject: CALL FOR DISCUSSION: MICROBIOLOGY/bionet.microbiology
From: [email-masked] (Martin Latterich)
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 20:30:54 -0800
Newsgroups: bionet.n2-fixation,bionet.clamydomonas,bionet.immunology,bionet.molbio.evolution,bionet.molbio.hiv,bionet.molbio.yeast,bionet.mycology,bionet.parasitology,bionet.protista,bionet.virology,sci.bio,sci.med

(NB:  This is a copy of a letter posted to bionet.general which maybe of
interest to the readership of this newsgroup. To save bandwidth, please
follow up to the bionet.general copy of this letter.)

Hi netters:

I'd like to invite anyone interested in the establishment of a new
newsgroup, "bionet.microbiology", to participate in a discussion concerning
the main direction/goals. This discussion will take place on
bionet.general.

A number of other people and I felt the need for a newsgroup with the main
focus on microbiology. Recent developments in the field have shown that
there is an active, popular interest in this particular discipline (The
issue of Science from April 15 this year immediately jumps into my mind),
and it would be nice to have a forum specifically devoted to any aspects
concerning microbiology. This would allow the discussion of old and new
ideas, problems and recent developments in the field, finding quick
help/pointers to methodologies, strains, etc. 

I have proposed a draft-proposal for such a newsgroup, and I'd be eternally
grateful for any suggestions and input to make this proposal a better one.

In general I hope that bionet.microbiology will become a place for
scientists and interested non-scientists to communicate and find help and
new ideas. If you have any helpful comments and/or suggestions, please feel
free to post them to bionet.general or send them to me via e-mail.

Microbiologically,

Dr. Martin Latterich                            
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and            
Dptm. of Molecular and Cell Biology
University of California,
Berkeley, CA 94706
USA
Tel.:  (510) 624-6171 (W)
       (510) 913-6027 (H)
FAX:   (510) 642-7846
e-mail: [email-masked]