Subject: Morels, Boletus edulis on sale in N.Y.C.
From: [email-masked] (Gene Yetter)
Date: 15 May 1994 18:21:18 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

Today at Balducci's, one of the most popular gourmet markets in Manhattan
(Sixth Ave. at 9th St.), fresh local morels were being offered at $5.98
for a quarter pound.  They were sitting out in a shallow basket, exposed
to the open air (ferocious drafts, radical changes of temperatue and
humidity!!!), alongside other premium mushrooms, including "porcini".  The
morels were looking pretty sad and worn out, not to mention discolored and
a little moldly.  I wonder if the buyers of such specimens, if buyers
materialize, have ever seen morels that really are fresh. 

The Boletus edulis, priced at 7.98 for the quarter pound, were in much
better condition.  They definitely had the good edulis smell.  There
seemed to be more than one variety in the basket, including some that were
pale brown and others with a distinct burgundy or dark rose hue.  How to
Know the Non-Gilled Mushrooms notes that edulis can take this color. 
Boletes of Michigan cites a specimen collected by Prof. Ammirati in the
Huron Mountains which was vinaceous-red over the disc.  The context of
this collection was also tinted pinkish as was the flesh of the specimens
in the basket at Balducci's.  And Ernst Both's new book The Boletes of
North America, a Compendium, lists the name "roseus" for a form of B.
edulis var. aurantioruber. 

Can anyone report where these edulis may be coming from at this time?  It 
has to be the West Coast, right?

Let us know.

Gene Yetter