Subject: Re: evolution of fungi
From: [email-masked] (Lewis Melville)
Date: 17 May 1994 15:28:02 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

[email-masked] wrote:

:       Let me begin by stating that I am not a mycologist but rather
:       a botanist with an interest in the higher fungi.  Fungal protists
:       are OK but the fungi, in my opinion, are as alien as the insects
:       and as such, from the human standpoint, are unique life forms.

:       My questions which are most probably elementary, are nevertheless,
:       to me - each a mystery.  They  concern the evolutionary history of
:       these chitinous critters.

:       Most terrestrial organisms have a fairly well established link to
:       the aquatic.  What about fungi?  As terrestrial organisms with
:       non motile gametes most are decomposers, yes?  Do fungi occupy the
:       same niche in marine ecosystems? If not what does?  Do we have any
:       fungal aquatic ancestors?  Also ...

:       I know an astounding number have formed micorrhizal associations
:       with higher and lower plants not to mention their role in lichens.
:       What is it in their constitution that makes fungi so compatible
:       with other organisms?  This is probably an unanswerable question
:       but go ahead and speculate (nobody reads this).
		There is a notion that fungal associations with plants 
are a controlled form of parasitism...ie the fungus is trying to devour 
the host and the plants defense systems keep it at bay. Byproducts of the 
interaction provide the plant with needed minerals and other incidentals 
like disease resistance and drought tolerance. Thus... a steady state 
feedback mechanism. Many fungi are pathogenic, of course, and some fungi 
may be pathogenic on one host, saprophytic on another, and mutualistic on 
another. If mitochondria were once an independent organism that became 
integrated into plant and animal cells, then perhaps fungi represent a 
different stage of a parallel evolution between two different beasts. 
Bryce Kendrick ( and others ) give the fungi their own kingdom, neither 
plant nor animal. I might place them closer to the animal domain, which 
might mean that true vegetarians have to cross mushrooms off their list 
of edible foods. 
	Molecular interactions within the cell wall, surface chemistry, 
and morphogenesis are great mysteries in fungal creatures. lew.

:                                                           
:       Anyone care to reply? 

:       Thanks in advance,

: ================================================================================
: Dave Haas  [email-masked]           ()
: Department of Natural Sciences            (())
: Fayetteville State University            ((()))
: Fayetteville NC, 28301    USA           (((())))
: ===========================================||===================================