Subject: Re: Fungal Genetics Text Book
From: [email-masked]
Date: 24 May 1994 07:50:54 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

---------------------- Original Header Lines (From NOTE) -----------------------
Nntp-Posting-Host: sunc.shef.ac.uk
X-Newsreader: TIN [version 1.2 PL2]
I have a copy of a new text book on "Fungal Physiology" (Second
          Edition) by David Griffin, Wiley-Liss publishers, 1994.
          It appears to be very readable, and had input from
          geneticists like Carlene Raper, WIlliam TImberlake, and
          Rowland Davis.   The emphasis of the book is definitely on
          physiology, but there are chapters on regulation of
          metabolism, mating and meiosis, and spore development.
          Philip Harriman, Genetics Program, National Science
          Foundation, USA.     [email-masked]

------------------------------- Message Contents -------------------------------
Does anyone know of a good, relatively up to date textbook
covering basic fungal genetics?  Although there are a number
of recent books on Applied Fungal Molecular Genetics, we are
concerned at the lack of Fungal Genetics books still in print
in the U.K. (i.e. NONE at present).  Most Microbial Genetics
text books deal only with bacteria and phage, sometimes with
a passing mention only of fungi.
Our undergraduate students are often asking for where they
can read more about the parasexual cycle, mitotic recombination,
meiotic mapping etc. in fungi, and we  have to tell them that
the books we recommend  (e.g. Fincham, Day and Radford) are
all that remains of out of print books in the library or on our
bookshelves.

Geoff Turner
Morris Grindle
Sheffield, U.K.
[email-masked]