Subject: Mycology Position Announcement
From: [email-masked] (Jim MacDonald)
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 19:55:50 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT

Mycologist/Plant Pathologist

Title:   Assistant Professor (40%) and Assistant Plant Pathologist in the 
Agricultural Experiment Station (60%).  The position is an 11-month (plus 
1 month vacation) tenure-track appointment.  The position is available 
starting September 1, 1994.

Responsibilities and Description:  Develop a disciplinary and 
mission-oriented research program on the fungi and fungal plant 
diseases.  Areas of research may include, but are not limited to, 
organismal biology, systematics, genetics, population genetics, 
physiology, ecology and epidemiology, depending upon the appointee's 
interests and expertise.  Opportunities exist to work with orchard crops 
and to develop innovative pre- and post-harvest disease management 
procedures.  The successful applicant will participate in teaching 
undergraduate mycology and assume responsibility for developing and 
teaching an advanced, graduate-level course on plant pathogenic fungi.  
In addition, the appointee will be expected to participate in other 
graduate and undergraduate classes and seminars in subject matter areas 
related to 
his/her expertise, and to participate in the training of graduate 
students in plant pathology and related graduate groups.

Qualifications:  Applicants must have a Ph.D. degree in plant pathology 
or a related field and possess a strong background and experience in 
mycology and/or fungal diseases of plants.  Postdoctoral experience is 
desired but not required.  Applicants must have a demonstrated promise 
for productive and creative research in the areas of mycology and plant 
pathology, a willingness to cooperate in interdisciplinary research, and 
a commitment to excellence in teaching.

Please send:  (1) Curriculum vitae, teaching, and research experience.  
(2) Undergraduate and graduate transcripts. (3) Complete lists and 
selected reprints of published works and submitted manuscripts.  (4) 
Statement of teaching and research interests.  (5) Names and addresses of 
at least three references.

To:    Dr. James D. MacDonald, Chair
         Mycologist Search Committee
         Department of Plant Pathology
         University of California
         Davis, CA 95616

Telephone:      (916) 752-6897
FAX:               (916) 752-0121
Internet:          [email-masked]

Application Deadline:  Domestic applications must be postmarked by August 
31, 1994.  International applications must be received by August 31, 
1994. Review of applications will begin September 1, 1994.

The University of California, Davis is an equal opportunity/affirmative 
action employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement 
of diversity among its faculty and staff.  In that spirit, we are 
particularly interested in receiving applications from persons of 
underrepresented groups including women, ethnic minorities, disabled 
veterans, Vietnam-era veterans, and handicapped persons.