Subject: EarthWeb: Global Environmental Network
From: [email-masked] (Dan Hinckley)
Date: 16 Jun 1994 16:18:34 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

As a respected member of the scientific community I wanted to make you 
aware of a new project designed to help support you, your colleagues, and 
the organizations of which you are a member. Please excuse the 
unsolicited nature of this inquiry.  If you would, please read through 
the attached bulletin and email a response if you are interested in the 
project.

The EarthWeb Project is developing a new global worldwide web (WWW) server
domain dedicated to the full range of urgent environmental issues, called
EarthWeb. 

The EarthWeb project will provide a vital new hypertext-based link 
between environmental group memberships, students, researchers, 
government agencies, scientists, and engineers with environmental 
databases, statistics, projects, programs, and information from 
around the world.  

 > Free unlimited access (through Internet)
 > Issues hosted by non-profit environmental and professional groups
 > Funding based on PBS style corporate & foundation sponsorship.
 > Hypertext and multi-media support 
 > HyperLinks to other WWW and FTP servers
 > Gateways (proposed) for commercial network users
 > Links to all environmental Usenet newsgroups
 > An Open Forum for environmental discussion and debate
 > A nexus of connections to researchers, key people, users
 > Quick, easy access to Governmental and NGO information
 > Free space for host organization news and membership information

EarthWeb will link to existing Internet and WWW sources of environmental 
information.  But EarthWeb will also be a funded project to bring new 
as-yet unpublished information to the Internet, for all to access. 
The Following is a current list of EarthWeb's Key Issue Hubs, modeled 
around the Agenda 21 issues formulated at the 1992 UN Earth Summit:

 . EarthWeb Connections                . Earth Status, Events & Crises
 . Population & The Quality of Life    . Air, Atmosphere & Climate Change
 . Oceans & Living Seas                . Freshwater, Rivers & Wetlands
 . Biodiversity & Endangered Species   . Land Use & Fragile Ecosystems
 . Energy Resources & Alternatives     . Consumption, Waste & Recycling
 . Toxic Chemicals & Hazardous Waste   . Nuclear Power, Weapons, & Waste
 . Sustainable Economic Development    . The Ecological Perspective
 . EarthWeb Resources (Catalog)

Over the last twelve weeks The EarthWeb Project has become a freight 
train, rolling ahead with a full head of steam.  Over 2000 individuals, 
government agencies, university programs, and environmental organizations 
have expressed their interest, encouragement and enthusiasm in 
participating in the project.  By joining forces with The EnviroLink 
Network, we have gained access to 450,000 internet 
environmentally-concerned subscribers and users; and we have added 
technical expertise and an international core of technical volunteers to 
greatly speed EarthWeb toward becoming an online reality.

For more information, to ask questions, and to express your interest,
email The EarthWeb Project, internet: [email-masked]. 

Note: A 15pp executive overview of The EarthWeb Project is available. 
      Just email me directly to request a copy.