Subject: Toxins from Pyrenophora teres
From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Jul 1994 17:16:02 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

Hi Netters:
I am working with the net blotch disease of barley (caused by Pyrenophora
teres). I have been trying to detect/isolate the toxins produced by this
fungus, but haven't been successful so far.
The toxins (A, B and C) have been isolated by Smedegard-Petersen (1977),
Bach et al. (1979) and Friis et al. (1991) from the Royal Veterinary and
Agricultural University, Denmark.So far I haven't been able to reproduce 
their results.
I have written to these authors thrice and did not receive any response.
Would somebody kindly let me their exact addresses? Even better if anyone
is working or has worked with this fungus and these toxins,I would be glad
to hear about their experiences.
By the way, the toxins are related to the aspergillomarasmines.Toxin A is
N-(2-amino-2-carboxyethyl)aspartic acid. Toxin B is 1-(2-amino-2-carboxyethyl)
-6carboxy-3-carboxymethyl-2-piperazinone and is identical to anhydroaspergillomarasmine A.
Toxin C is N-[2-(2-amino-2-carboxyethyl-amino)-2-carboxyethyl]aspartic acid
and is identical to aspergillomarasmine A. Any hints on how to detect these
compounds in my culture filtrates? 
Thanks.
Pooba S. Ganeshan
Dept. of Crop Science
Univ. of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon
Canada.
E-mail:[email-masked]