Subject: Re: dermatophytes: presence in hyperkeratotic skin fissures
From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey A. Wong (Mad Dog))
Date: 26 Jul 1994 20:35:43 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

Salutations,

What exactly have you tried is your isolations? Skin scrapings
in KOH seem to work well for most dermatophytes at least that's
what I find her at Caleb Clark Clinic, Potero Hill Clinic and
my brief intern at SF General. Trying to find them is kinda
tricky, depending on the nature of the dermatophyte. Try
hair baiting, or maybe you could try PAS staining of your
samples. Lactophenol cotton blue doesn't work well for me. 
As for media to use to culture the dermatophytes, I find that
a modified sabouraud-cycloheximide-chloramphenicol agar with
a little bit of blood added seems to work okay for most dermato
phytes. However there are a lot of other medias commercially
available for use.

cheers!
Jeff

ps: Forgive me if this note was of too basic information.
I'm just a grad student :-)