Subject: Boletus edulis, chanterelle: when to find them in New England?
From: [email-masked] (marco annaratone)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 18:46:15 GMT
Newsgroups: bionet.mycology

Apologies if this is not the right newsgroup...

I have been mushroom hunting for many years in the Alps, always playing a
very conservative game (Boletus Edulis and chanterelle, period). 
Now I live in New England and I _know_ they are out there...however, 
no luck so far.

I spent last week in Vermont (Stowe): not many mushrooms around, few Boleti 
(the "wrong" ones), no Edulis whatsoever, although other mushrooms that are
typically the telltale for the presence of B. Edulis where there. A fistfull
of chanterelles, that's it. I guess wrong place and/or wrong time...

Sooooo, can someone tell me when is the right season in New England for Boletus
Edulis? Is it between July 15 and Aug 15 like in the Alps? At the 
end of September like on European hillsides, maybe?  When is it in 
upper/lower Vermont/New Hampshire?

Any other suggestion will be appreciated, e.g., the best spots to find them :-)

Thanks!

Marco