Subject: endocytosis and nutrient uptake

From: "Wilson, Dale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:18:34 -0600

[ The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set.  ]
    [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

Bargyla,

> They have speakers and writers who continually harp on 
> that ion-absorption approach, which is false.

So, you don't think that plants take up dissolved nutrients?  Experience
with hydroponics suggests that they do.

> Either you get chemical fertilizers that are soluble,
> dissolving into ions in soil solution, and you are a
> chemical fertilizer farmer, not organic, OR you recognize
> that only molecules and particles are absorbed by plants, and 
> these via endocytosis, and are entitled to call your
> farming/gardening approach as organic.

You neglect the dynamic nature of soil microflora, which rapidly incorporate
dissolved nutrients into organic matter, transform nutrients via redox
reactions, and release them into the soil solution via degradation of
organic matter.  All these things are going on continuously even in the most
barren-looking conventionally farmed soil.  You also neglect the dynamic
nature of ion exchange with minerals and organic matter in all but the most
coarse and barren soils.

Also, why do you think that endocytosis is important for nutrient uptake?

Dale

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail