Subject: Re: Survival/Edible plants, ect. . .

From: [email-masked] (John Giuseppi Morris)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 23:47:17 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Jennifer Fruhbauer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>you mentioned something about mushrooms, i would skip it if i were you, my
>dad and i pick mushrooms, we know about 4 types of fall mushrooms.  there
>are many copy-cats...mushrooms dont provide many calories anyway.  stick
>with others (thistle, dandelions, plantain, queen anne's lace are a few
>common "weeds" that immediately come to mind
>
>jennifer
>
 On the contrary:
Mushrooms can provide a great deal of protein, and also vitamin A, 
vitamin D, vitamin C and several B complexes. BUT mushrooms are not for 
the casual picker. You MUST know absolutely 100% what you have. I would 
recomend two books for those that are interested: 
  1) What the Rain Promises and More
  2) Mushrooms Demystified

The author to both is David Arora, known by many to be the mushroom guru. 
The first book is a great beginner. The second is considered "The 
mushroom bible" (especially in western America) and is much more 
scientific and complete.

I have been eating mushrooms on trips for a couple of years and have been 
studying them for almost 10. They can be a great source of food on the 
trail.

Mushrooms, again, ARE NOT to be sampled or experimented with. Know what 
they're all about first.

-Giuseppi