Subject: symbiosis newsgroup

From: [email-masked]
Date: 17 Jan 1995 11:14:17 -0800

A new prototype newsgroup has been created for researchers 
interested in symbiotic associations.  This newsgroup may provide an 
alternative forum for mycologists whose research involves symbiotic 
systems.  

	To subscribe to this prototype newsgroup send an e-mail message 
to <[email-masked]>.  In the body of the mail message write: 

subscribe symbios

	For additional information contact:

Jim White
Dept. Biol.
Auburn Univ. at Montgomery
email: [email-masked]

From [email-masked] Jan 17 23:50:53 1995
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 19:39:30 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Welcome to symbios

--

Welcome to the symbios mailing list!

If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, send the
following command in email to "[email-masked]":

    unsubscribe symbios <your ID>

Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to, in
case you don't already have it:

Information for SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH prototype newsgroup

Mailing list name: SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH

Mailing address: [email-masked]

Discussion leader:

		James F. White, Jr.
		Department of Biology
		Auburn University at Montgomery
		Montgomery, Alabama 36117

		Tel: 205-244-3739
		FAX: 205-244-3826
		Email: [email-masked]

Purpose of the prototype newsgroup:

Symbiotic associations are very common in nature.  "Without symbiosis, 
the nature on earth would be unrecognizable from that which is found 
today" (Sir David Smith, in: Symbiosis as a Source of Evolutionary 
Innovation).  This is not just because symbiosis was crucial to the 
evolution of the eukaryotes from their prokaryote ancestors.  It is also 
that most terrestrial ecosystems are critically dependent on symbiosis.  
Ninty percent of land plants are mycorrhizal, and many contain 
endosymbionts within leaves and other above ground organs.  Virtually all 
mammalian and insect herbivores would starve without their cellulose 
digesting symbionts.  Understanding symbiosis is thus fundamental for 
the comprehensive appreciation of organisms and their cellular and 
molecular biology (from preface to vol. 14 SYMBIOSIS).  

The purpose of the newsgroup is to establish better communication
between symbiosis researchers, to share ideas, to solicit information,
and disseminate news of research progress and upcoming events of
interest to symbiosis researchers.

Subscriptions are welcome from all persons interested in symbiosis
research.

As this is a prototype newsgroup, only a mailing list is currently
available.  This will run for a six month period until July 1996.  At
that time a vote will be taken for full newsgroup status and the
prototype group will either become a full newsgroup or be closed.