Subject: You are now subscribed to the OGL list

From: "L-Soft list server at UKCC (1.8b)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 20:53:43 -0500

Sun, 11 Feb 1996 20:53:43

Your subscription to the OGL list (Organic Gardening Discussion List) has
been accepted.

Please save this message for future  reference, especially if you are not
familiar with LISTSERV.  This might look like a waste  of disk space now,
but in  6 months  you will be  glad you saved  this information  when you
realize that  you cannot remember what  are the lists you  are subscribed
to, or  what is the command  to leave the  list to avoid filling  up your
mailbox while you are on vacations. In fact, you should create a new mail
folder for subscription confirmation messages  like this one, and for the
"welcome  messages"  from the  list  owners  that you  will  occasionally
receive after subscribing to a new list.

To send  a message to  all the people  currently subscribed to  the list,
just send mail  to [email-masked]. This is called "sending  mail to the
list",  because you  send mail  to a  single address  and LISTSERV  makes
copies   for  all   the  people   who  have   subscribed.  This   address
([email-masked]) is also called the  "list address". You must never try
to send any  command to that address,  as it would be  distributed to all
the  people  who have  subscribed.  All  commands  must  be sent  to  the
"LISTSERV address",  [email-masked] (or  [email-masked]). It
is  very important  to understand  the  difference between  the two,  but
fortunately it  is not complicated.  The LISTSERV  address is like  a FAX
number, and  the list address  is like a normal  phone line. If  you make
your FAX  call someone's regular phone  number by mistake, it  will be an
unpleasant experience for him but you  will probably be excused the first
time. If  you do it  regularly, however, he  will probably get  upset and
send you a nasty  complaint. It is the same with  mailing lists, with the
difference that  you are calling hundreds  or thousands of people  at the
same time, so a lot more people get annoyed if you use the wrong number.

You may leave the list at any  time by sending a "SIGNOFF OGL" command to
[email-masked]  (or  [email-masked]).   You  can  also  tell
LISTSERV how you want  it to confirm the receipt of  messages you send to
the list. If you do not trust  the system, send a "SET OGL REPRO" command
and LISTSERV will send  you a copy of your own messages,  so that you can
see that the message was distributed and  did not get damaged on the way.
After a while  you may find that this is  getting annoying, especially if
your mail program does not tell you  that the message is from you when it
informs you that  new mail has arrived  from OGL. If you send  a "SET OGL
ACK  NOREPRO" command,  LISTSERV will  mail you  a short  acknowledgement
instead, which will  look different in your mailbox  directory. With most
mail programs you  will know immediately that this  is an acknowledgement
you can read later. Finally, you can turn off acknowledgements completely
with "SET OGL NOACK NOREPRO".

Contributions sent to this list are automatically archived. You can get a
list of the available archive files  by sending an "INDEX OGL" command to
[email-masked] (or [email-masked]). You can then order these
files  with a  "GET OGL  LOGxxxx" command,  or using  LISTSERV's database
search facilities. Send  an "INFO DATABASE" command  for more information
on the latter.

Please note that  it is presently possible for anybody  to determine that
you are signed  up to the list  through the use of  the "REVIEW" command,
which returns the e-mail address and  name of all the subscribers. If you
do not  want your  name to  be visible,  just issue  a "SET  OGL CONCEAL"
command.

More  information on  LISTSERV  commands  can be  found  in the  LISTSERV
reference  card, which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  REFCARD"
command to [email-masked] (or [email-masked]).