Subject: REPOST (Was Re: USDA ARS & "Charleston Hot" Cayenne Peppers)

From: [email-masked] (Bob Batson)
Date: 14 Mar 93 16:33:23 CST

Following is a repost of the info about "Charleston Hot" Cayenne Pepper.
This is from an article on page 19 in the February 1993 _Agricultural
Research_ magazine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                       NEW CAYENNE PEPPER AVAILABLE

  A new cayenne pepper ideal for home gardeners who want a compact,
high-yielding variety for their chili and other spicy foods has been
released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
  The new pepper has been named CHARLESTON HOT and is resistant to all
four known races of southern root knot nematode. It only grows to about
18-inches tall, is very colorful, and produces about 2 pounds of fresh
peppers (134 to 150 pods) per plant.
  The peppers changes colors as it ripens. It begins yellow-green, changes
to golden yellow, bright orange, and finally to a deep red when it
matures.
  At maturity, the pepper is about 4-inches long and is very hot.
Charleston Hot can be grown almost anywhere in the United States. LIMITED
amounts of seed are available to breeders and gardeners. Just write to
Philip D. Dukes, U.S. Vegetable Laboratory, 2875 Savannah Highway,
Charlestown, SC 29414-5334; telephone (803) 556-0840, fax (803) 763-7013.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Bob Batson
[email-masked]
        OR
[email-masked]