Subject: Community Food Security funding. (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 21:49:47 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 17:05:08 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Community Food Security funding.

June 21, 1996

$1 million will be available under a competitive grants program established
by  the Community Food Security Act (Assistance to Community Foods Projects)
during FY 1996.  The Office of Analysis and Evaluation of Food and Consumer
Services, USDA will be administering the program. Legislative language
establishes this program to support community food projects with the
intention of "meeting the food needs of low income people; increasing the
self-reliance of communities in providing for their own food needs; and
promoting comprehensive responses to local, food, farm, and nutrition
issues."

It is expected that programs such as community gardens, farmers' markets,
CSAs, micro-enterprises, and others will be eligible.

Requests for Proposals are not yet available, but are expected to be released
soon. 

To assist organizations in program planning previous to the RFP's release,
the Community Food Security Coalition has prepared a document entitled, "
Guidance to Non-Profits for Developing Community Food Project Applications."
To receive a copy or to find out more information about this program or
community food security in general, please contact Andy Fisher, coordinator,
CFS Coalition, [email-masked], 310-822-5410.