Subject: Re: CSA

From: [email-masked] (Sarah Milstein)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 02:32:52 GMT

This message is to serve double duty:  replying to KT Newlin about CSAs in
the Rochester area, and citing the FoodBook (a CSA-generated book with
listings by veggie) that I mentioned in an earlier post. 
 
The CSA is Genesee Valley Organic Community Supported Agriculture Project
(GVOCSA), which is, I believe, a part of Rose Valley Farm.  
 
Elizabeth Henderson and David Stern are the growers at Rose Valley/GVOCSA. 
They produced the FoodBook, which is a beautifully-illustrated, 128-page
looseleaf document.  It lists crops seasonally, and for each crop, there's
historical and nutrional information, plus cooking and storage tips and
recipes.  It's quite a wonderful and complete (regionally speaking) book. 
 
The address for the FoodBook and for Rose Valley Farm is 4209 Covell Road,
Rose, New York, 14542-0149.  {Presumably, one can reach GVOCSA at that
address, too.}  A single copy of the FoodBook, with looseleaf binder, costs
$9.50; coverless copies are $7, and you can make as many copies as you
want, provided you pay Rose Valley $2.50 per copy in royalties.  The
profits from the FoodBook go towards scholarships to enable low-income
people to join the CSA (so far, they've made enough for 3 people to join,
paying $3/week in food stamps).  (N.B.  When I ordered the book in April,
they were hoping to produce a supplement with about 100 additional recipes
later this spring.) 
 
While we're at it, does anybody know of any other CSAs in the Rochester
area?  [email-masked] is looking for them.  (Jennifer, you're not
there, are you?) 
 
Sarah Milstein