Subject: Re: Farmers' Market-Based CSA? (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 16:07:24 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 21:53:01 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Farmers' Market-Based CSA?

Duncan-
Great idea. We are doing it here in LA. The Market basket Program marries an
inner city farmers market with a CSA concept. It works somethng like this: a
consumer purchases  ambasket for the upcoming week. The price is set at 15%
less than the farmers market price - $10; $13 for folks who want to subsidize
low income people; and $7 for those on food stamps, wic, etc. The project
manager  buys from the farmers at the market who bring extra to sell. S/he
assembles baskets with volunteer help, and the customers either pick them up
at a nearby church, or we are starting a delivery service. This works on a
weekly basis to fit low income budgets. Outreach has been done through child
care programs, wic ofices, churches etc. The basic idea is to provide access
to high quality foods at low prices where such access is lacking. 
If you would like more information, contact Bob Gottlieb or Michelle
Mascarenhas at 310-825-1067. The project is run by UCLA Dept of Urban
Planning in conjunction with Southland Farmers market Assoc.

Andy Fisher
CFS Coalition
Po box 209
Venice
CA 90294
310-822-5410

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 16:08:52 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 00:37:23 -0500
From: steve bonney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Farmers' Market-Based CSA?

Duncan Hilchey wrote:
>
>Has anyone ever heard of a "farmers' market-based CSA?" I was just
>considering the possibility of combining these two marketing strategies in
>some way so that vendors and their farmers' markets could generate
>additional early season income, and shareholders could get greater variety
>than at more conventional CSAs.

This is a good idea for persons or groups who already use farmers' markets 
as a sales location, but are otherwise not connected. It seems that all it 
would require is some organization. However, this is probably not an easy 
task, since
the vendors sell as individuals and were not originally motivated to 
organize as a collective. Equity of contribution would certainly be an 
issue. The organizer might need an extra cut, but the market would not be 
due one.

Some current CSAs consist of several growers or preparers, who organized 
because of the motivation to do so, usually before the CSA was formed. And 
some CSAs use farmers' markets as distribution points. 

The scale would have to involve many more than 50 subscribers, for $2000 is 
not enough income, even as a supplement, over a growing season. Some CSAs in 
the Midwest have had great difficulty in securing enough subscribers to 
generate a living. Many view farmers'markets as a market of desparation.

These are some realities and perceptions that must be overcome. I, 
personally,  want to see more successful farmers' markets and more 
successful CSAs. Your idea has merit in the grand scheme of that success and 
should be tested.

Steve Bonney, President
Indiana Sustainable Agriculture Association
100 Georgton Ct.
W. Lafayette IN 47906
(317) 463-9366, fax (317) 497-0164
email [email-masked]