Subject: Re: The CSA farmer's family "dine out" once a week

From: [email-masked] (Sarah Milstein)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 19:12:04 GMT

On Jul 06, 1996 15:45:09, 'Spring Toms <[email-masked]>' wrote: 
 
> 
> I am going to propose that part of the loose 
>"understanding " of the 
>obligations subscribers will have to the farm, is to once per 
>year invite me and my wife to their home for a vegetarian - non-dairy 
>meal prepared around that week's harvest share. 
 
I think this is a great and very creative idea, Richard (as long as you
don't become overwhelmed by it).  Promoting that direct connection with
your community will undoubtedly help your members understand how CSA is
fundamentally different from other food economies.  And it'll help you
learn what your members needs and desires are (plus who'se good at cooking
zuchinni). 
A year or two of doing this and I'll have a great 
>CSA Cook Book and some great personal friends, and hopefully loyal 
>continuing subscribers. 
> 
 
Let us know what you find.  I imagine it'll help you build stronger
connections with your members, who will then become more committed to the
farm.   
 
Unfortunately, the idea doesn't apply readily to Roxbury, the CSA for which
I'm a core groupie, because the farm is nearly 3 hours from the New York
City drop-off point, and there are 230 members here.  Even if we could get
the farmers to stay one evening for dinner (and the mornings after they're
here, they have a harvest), at whose house would they eat?  Oy. 
 
Thanks for the idears. 
 
Sarah Milstein