Subject: Farmers' Market-based CSA? (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 16:09:53 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 09:17:31 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Farmers' Market-based CSA?

The idea sounds interesting initiailly until you think it out - the market is
already a mechanism to get local food to consumers - offering variety,
selection, competition, etc.  The CSA-type benefits are not readily apparent,
except the idea of guaranteeing a certain volume of sales at the market for
participating farmers.  It would be easier if farmers offered to sell vouvhers
at the beginning of the season that could be redeemed at their stall(s) - or
done market-wide - for produce.  If there were a discount - say, $200 worth of
product for $175, it might attract customers.  It's something akin the the
Farmers' Market Nutrition Program vouchers, which have been vital to
stabilizing many inner city markets in low-income areas.  WHether this would
actually increase sales or income at a market depends on many factors - does
the farmer have additional product to sell; will the extra volume offset lower
prices; will it encourage customers to buy more than would usually; etc. etc.
I have heard of this done on a small scale, but nothing on a big scale.

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 01:41:07 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 01:06:55 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Farmers' Market-Based CSA? (fwd)

I am willing to stick my nose in where it does not belong !

I think it is not so good for one main reason: the big advantage of CSA is
that people actually get in hand every week plenty of fresh, raw foods and
they have to use it that week. This encourages them to make and eat more
salads, and fruits--the RAW food that is so very important to their health.
 Of course, they will cook some things, but still there is an incentive to
eat more raw stuff.  This is the big advantage of getting a pack of ready to
use, already cleaned and trimmed raw stuff.

And, as you said, one of the main ideas of CSA is getting to know the farmer,
the children learn food comes from soil, and the relationship is a main
benefit. In a market, the conversations have to be brief, and there is no
more connection with the actual farm scene than their would be in a grocery.

Bargyla Rateaver, Ph.D., 9049 Covina St., San Diego, CA 92126.

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 01:42:02 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 01:06:59 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Farmers' Market-Based CSA? (fwd)

Now that I can see is advantageous. It is a much better way to help the
indigent than handouts of canned stuff and the like, at some center.

Some kind thoughts behind this idea.

Bargyla Rateaver, Ph.D., 9049 Covina St., San Diego, CA92126