Subject: Re: CSA Mission Statements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:26:15 -0400

In response to John Barclay's request for mission statements of CSA farms:

Spring Hill Community Farm in Prairie Farm, Wisconsin, had its first CSA
season in 1992.  I serve on the core group of the farm.  I believe that it
was in the winter of 1992-93 that we developed the mission statement.

The mission of Spring Hill Community Farm is to bring people and land
together in a practical, enduring, life-giving community.  We do this by
growing and distributing food in a way that is just and sustainable; that
helps us develop skills and knowledge of land and community stewardship; and
that connects rural and urban people to the land and each other in a way that
celebrates life and harmony with the earth.

As in past years, our January letter to members this year quoted the mission
statement, and then reviewed 1995 in terms of the mission.

Good luck!

Mark Schultz

---

From: [email-masked] (Sarah Milstein)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 15:04:35 GMT

On Sep 24, 1996 23:41:45, 'John Barclay <[email-masked]>' wrote: 

>After three years of operation, our CSA is now working on a mission
statement. 
 
Similarly, after six years of operation, our CSA does not have one either,
partly out of the belief (possibly false) that a mission statement implies
some legal organization (that we do not possess).    
This Saturday, however, the farmers and a core group of core group members
are getting together to discuss a long-term vision and planning process for
the CSA.  I imagine a mission statement of some sort will come out of this
process.  We'll keep you posted. 
 
Sarah Milstein 
Roxbury Farm, NYC Core Group