Subject: SEARCH FUNCTION

From: D J Dietz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:10:27 -0500

Hello,
I am ne wto this list and was wondering if there is any way that
I would be able to search past postings so that I dont have to 
take up a lot of space with things already discussed?

Any help would be appreciated!

Dan Dietz
Reedsburg WI

---

From: D J Dietz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:24:44 -0500

Hello,
My name is Dan Dietz and I live in Reedsburg WI. I am not directly involed
with a CSA, but have a part-time co-worker who operates a 40 family CSA.
I will also be giving her the address for this group.

Even though I am not directly involved with a CSA,I think it is a wonderfull
Idea. I hope to soon Start raisng stocker cattle using rotational grazing. I 
have considered marketing finished beef or lamb through CSA that dont raise 
their own. Does anyone use this method? Also most of the CSA's I'm familar
with dont offer meat or animal products. Do many of you? I guess one of my main 
interest is in getting non farmers to understand the importance of our food 
supply and the work and risk that go into it.

One of the interesting aspects of Donna's (my co-worker) CSA is that the market 
they serve is 200 miles away in Chicago. They (Donna & Jay) are original from
Chicago. To get the food delivered they have 2 families come up each weekend
and stay for a "farm experience" in there upstairs apt. and then haul the 
produce back for them. Most of their subscribers say that the farm visit is
just as good as the food.

Looking forward to the list!
Dan Dietz
Farmer Wannabe
Reddsburg Wisconsin

---

From: [email-masked] (Sarah Milstein)
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 19:36:31 GMT

On May 20, 1996 11:46:26, [email-masked]' wrote: 

>In a somewhat related area, is anyone doing or thinking of writing core  
>group functions into your budget (ie paying both garden and coordination  
>work in food, paid for by other members)?  
 
The Roxbury Farm CSA has three communities, each with it's own core group. 
While I can't speak for the arrangements of the other two groups, I can
report that the NYC core group includes in its budget (which is split
amongst the 230 local sharers in NYC) money to compensate those who fill
core group positions that require a lot of work (site coordinators,
volunteer coordinators, treasurer, etc.).  Our most active core group
members all have specific roles and are compensated with free shares.   
 
We have, however, taken into account the possibility that in the future, we
may need to set aside money to pay somebody to do the job of primary site
coordination, which involves a lot of hours and fairly high degree of
responsibility and organizition.  So we've worked into our buget enough $$
to pay that person $7/hour for fives hours per week, over 33 weeks.  I'm
doing the job now on a volunteer basis and am comped with a double share
(which costs $526), so the extra money is rolled back into our local
administrative funds. 
 
Since we split the local budget amongst 230 sharers, we have a good deal of
latitude in adding on high-ticket budget items (like comp shares for 6
people).  I don't take this for granted, and I do think it's important to
consider not only keeping costs down for members, but the ways in which a
farm's system can be made sustainable for the people doing the work (not
just the growers). 
 
Sarah Milstein