Subject: Re: Introduction

From: [email-masked] (Sarah Milstein)
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 23:13:34 GMT

I  
>have considered marketing finished beef or lamb through CSA that dont
raise  
>their own. Does anyone use this method? Also most of the CSA's I'm familar

>with dont offer meat or animal products. Do many of you? 
 
Roxbury Farm offers beef shares twice a year and pork shares once a year,
both of which are derived from the farm's own animals.  The shares comprise
about 20 pounds of meat at a shot and come frozen.   
 
In Columbia County, one of the three distribution areas for Roxbury,
chickens from a nearby farm -- as well as 11+ other very local products
(honey, maple syrup, eggs, bread, yogurt, cheese, etc.) -- are offered to
the membership weekly (there are about 150 households there).  This
"pre-order" system is administered by two core group members who do it on a
part-time basis.  Their goal is to eventually be able to supply members
with most of their food needs from local sources, and in turn, to be
significantly supporting the local economy. 
 
So although we've got a disproportionate number of vegetarians, promoting
vegetarianism in not a goal of the farm, and we're all too happy to help
support healthy, local relationships between producers and eaters of all
kinds. 
 
Sarah