Subject: Re: Fwd: Privacy Alert

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:50:31 -0400

Dear Sanetters and CSA folks,

Ken Robbins is one of my husband's HAM friends in Southern CA.  This is scary
stuff.  If we all respond and spread the word, maybe they will find they have
nothing to sell.  I suggest we forward an irate message to our congressional
representation.

Marcie

X-From: [email-masked] (Robbins, Kenneth W)
Sender: [email-masked] (cactus-intertie-owner)
Reply-to: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked] (Cactus Intertie)

- ------- Forwarded Message
===========================================================================
Your name, social security number, current address, previous addresses,
mother's maiden name, birth date and other personal information
are now available to anyone with a credit card through a new Lexis database
called P-Trax. As I am sure you are aware, this information
could be used to commit credit card fraud or otherwise allow someone else to
use your identity.
 
You can have your name and information removed from this list by making a
telephone request. Call (800)543-6862, select option 4 and
then option 3 ("all other questions") and tell the representative answering
that you wish to remove your name from the P-trax database. You
may also send a fax to (513) 865-7360, or physical mail to LEXIS-NEXIS /
P.O. Box 933 / Dayton, Ohio 45401-0933. Sending physical
mail to confirm your name has been removed is always a good idea.
 
As word of the existence of this database has spread on the net, Lexis-Nexis
has been inundated with calls, and has set up a special set of
operators to handle the volume. In addition, Andrew Bleh (rhymes with
"Play") is a manager responsible for this product, and is the person
to whom complaints about the service could be directed. He can be reached at
the above 800 number. Ask for extension 3385. According to
Lexis, the manager responsible is Bill Fister at extension 1364.
 
===========================================================================
I called this morning an got routed to a recording that tells you to Fax or
mail the removal request. The recording then gave no other options except to
repeat the recording.

Ken - WA6PYJ

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 19:50:31 -0400

Marcie

 

Ken - WA6PYJ

---

From: [email-masked] (Rob Gordon)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:47:54 -0600

Before people get too freaked out, this has gone 'round and 'round
at my workplace (Sun Microsystems) and below is posted the net
of all the subdued panic.

rob

------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------

>From [email-masked] Wed Sep 18 15:31 MDT 1996
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:30:36 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Sabra Feldman)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  Controversy

Earlier this week, e-mail was sent to this alias regarding P-TRACK,
an information service provided by Lexis-Nexis. The following
e-mail message, from Tom Hesley, a friend of mine who works at
Lexis-Nexis, contains the official statement about P-TRACK, 
as well as instructions for removal from the database.

Sabra
----- Begin Included Message -----

Sabra, 

Here's the information you requested on P-TRACK.  There will be a new
800 number created next week to handle inquiries about P-TRACK.  Until
then, follow the instructions in the statement from LEXIS-NEXIS below.

Later,
Tom

------------------------------------------------------------------------

STATEMENT FROM LEXIS-NEXIS   9/18/96

Incorrect information is being distributed on Internet newsgroups 
regarding the data displayed in LEXIS-NEXIS' P-TRAK file.  P-TRAK is like
an electronic "white pages."  The only information displayed is the name
of the individual, current address and up to two previous addresses and 
telephone number.  In some cases, the individual's maiden name may appear
and as well as the month and year of birth.  That is the ONLY information
displayed in the P-TRAK file.

Contrary to some messages that have been posted to some Internet 
discussion and news groups, the P-TRAK file DOES NOT contain any credit 
histories, bank account information, personal financial data, mother's 
maiden name or medical histories.  This misinformation has been posted 
over and over again to various news groups.

An example of a record appears below:

Name:  DOE, JOHN E
Current Address:  1066 Anywhere Drive, Dayton, OH  95454
Previous Address:  106 Somewhere Drive, Dayton, OH  92454
Birthdate:  9/1965
Telephone Number:  555-1212
On File Since:  6/1/1994

The information displayed in the P-TRAK file is the type of information 
readily available from public information sources such as telephone 
directories (in print and CD-ROM format) and public records maintained 
by government agencies.

LEXIS-NEXIS markets the P-TRAK file to the legal community for use by 
general legal practitioners, litigators and public attorneys, as well as
law enforcement agencies and police departments.  These professionals use
the P-TRAK file to assist in locating litigants, witnesses, shareholders,
debtors, heirs and beneficiaries.

LEXIS-NEXIS is aware of the sensitivities regarding the potential misuse
of information.  Business competitors of LEXIS-NEXIS have for some time 
made Social Security numbers available to users of their services.  In 
addition, Social Security Numbers and other information are available on
the Internet from a number of sources.  Despite this wide availability of
Social Security numbers in the market place, LEXIS-NEXIS discontinued the
display of Social Security numbers in the P-TRAK file as of June 11, 
1996, eleven days after the product was introduced.

Through its actions, LEXIS-NEXIS is balancing the privacy concerns of the
public with the legitimate needs of legal, business and government 
professionals for access to accurate sources of publicly available 
information.  By discontinuing the display of Social Security numbers in
P-TRAK and only providing information that is already available to the 
public from other sources, LEXIS-NEXIS believes it has responsibly met 
the expressed concerns of the public.

Individuals interested in having their names removed from the P-TRAK file
can e-mail their full name and complete address to:  
[email-masked] or mail this information to ATTN: P-TRAK, 
P. O. Box 933, Dayton, OH 45401.

------------- End Forwarded Message -------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Rob Gordon)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:47:54 -0600

rob

------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------

Sabra
----- Begin Included Message -----

Sabra, 

Later,
Tom

Name:  DOE, JOHN E

------------- End Forwarded Message -------------