Subject: CSA and social services

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 08:39:00 CDT

Greetings! I'm forwarding a request for information on from the 
coordinator of the Magic Beanstalk CSA in Ames, Ia, about what 
connections CSA's have made with social service agencies and low income 
members. I remember having seen a few mentions before, but maybe there 
are enough new folks to pass them through again. Thanks much.

About John's question on turnover, my sense is that college towns are a 
special challenge. Many of our members from our first year are going to 
be gone 1/4 to 1/2 the season, making it hard for them to even share a 
share. My thought is that we might try a hybrid subscription service as 
an experiment next year, after a first deadline for a full year, saying 
we have 10 slots each week, sign up ahead for when you will be around. 
These folks tend to be our highest income members, so we could charge a 
little extra for the work, and to encourage full season membership when 
possible. One other thing we are doing this year is offering a lot more 
ease of cooking information, and especially experiences. People have said 
eating healthy fresh food is a major time commitment, leading to a lot of 
"guilty dropouts", so educate and support people through those changes. 
Just knowing that is a normal part of changing to a sustainable lifestyle 
will help.

P.S. if anyone is in Iowa, or passing through, we are having a state CSA 
campout on a growers farm west of Cedar Rapids July 13-14. Farm Fresh CSA 
is 4 farm women cooperating in their second season in Benton Co Iowa; 
there are at least 4 new CSA's this year in Iowa.

 ---
Jeff Hall	
[email-masked]