Subject: [Fwd: Re: Origin of ceviche]

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:33:22 -0400

-- 
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
mailto:[email-masked]  
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden

Subject: Re: Origin of ceviche
From: [email-masked] (CesarAP)
Date: 8 Apr 1997 01:06:19 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.historic

Early Peruvians ate raw fish and sea weed seasoned with aji (chile).  Lime
juice and onions  were added by the moorish women who came with the
Spanish to Peru.  Coriander, parsley, celery, bitter orange juice,  orange
juice, etc. are more modern refinements.  The Central Andes area (Present
day Peru and Bolivia) is one of the six places in the world where plants
(including capsicums) were first domesticated.  It was also the center of
the largest and most developed Andean civilization.  Later, Peru was the
political, social and economic power of the Spanish in South America. 
Peru was, and  still is,  the culinary center of South America.  From
these facts one could conclude that the basics of Ceviche indeed
originated in Peru.  I has of course extended to almost all of South
America and Mexico and has taken the character of these various countries.
Near the beeches in Lima one can still find rows of "cebicherias" where
you can find the basioc cebiche or the modern variations with clams,
scallops, squid, etc.
Cesar A. Portocarrero