Subject: [Fwd: Re: kombucha]

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:13:10 -0400

-- 
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
mailto:[email-masked]  
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden

Subject: Re: kombucha
From: [email-masked] (HealingPgs)
Date: 18 Apr 1997 01:09:44 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.herbs

In article <[email-masked]>, Jamie <[email-masked]>
writes:

>Anyone with information about kombucha mushroom tea and its use in 
>people with HIV, particularly in relation  to use with Combination 
>Therapy, please E-mail me either here or at cardiff body Positive

In general, kombucha tea is not advised for persons with AIDS or HIV+. Due
to the process of making kombucha (it's a fermented yeast, not a
mushroom), contamination can occur, either molds or bacteria, which can
cause severe problems for someone with a compromised immune system.
Christopher Hobbs' book on medicinal mushrooms does a fairly good job of
running through the possible benefits of kombucha, as well as what studies
have been done.  He also gives a very safe procedure for fermentation, and
talks about the signs of contamination.

Regards,
Rosemary, Healing Pages Bookstore, Seattle, WA
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://members.aol.com/healingpgs/index.htm