Subject: Re: local vs. imported produce

From: [email-masked] (Troy Bogdan)
Date: 29 Jan 1995 07:56:05 -0000

Jennifer C. Bokaer-Smith writes:
>
>Does anyone know of studies that have shown locally grown produce to be
>better nutritionally than imported produce?  How about the average time it
>takes local produce to get from farm-to-table vs. imported produce?
>
I don't know of any studies, but I do know that on Farmer's Market days, most 
of my produce is picked the day of the market.  One of my typical customers 
can have their produce from "farm-to-table" within a few hours.
When I sell my produce wholesale, however, it may sit in the store cooler for 
a week or more (I've checked).  This doesn't make me too happy.

I would guess imported produce could be anywhere from a week to over a month 
>from  the time it was picked to the time it comes out on the shelf.  Horrendous 
:(

I hope this adds a little insight to your query.

Sincerely,   Troy Bogdan, Farmer,  Pure Earth Organic Farm

---
********************************************************************
*                Troy Bogdan - Bridgeville, PA                     *
*        [email-masked]  *  [email-masked]             *
********************************************************************
*   "Never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most    *
* important labor of man.  When tillage begins, other arts follow. *
*      The farmers therefore, are the founders of civilization."   *
*                                          -David Webster-         *
********************************************************************