Subject: Re: How do I start a community garden...?

From: [email-masked] (David Gurzynski)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 16:44:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] ([email-masked]) wrote:

{ Second question: has anyone had the experience of the city donating
{ a piece of land to be used for a community garden, if so was it a long,
{ drawn out process?
{
{  and is there a book that someone highly recommends
{ that explains the details of community gardens?

There are two organizations in New York City; The Green Guerillas, and
Operation Green Thumb, that you might want to get in touch with.

Operation Greenthumb  49 Chambers St NY NY   (212)233-2926
The Green Guerillas 625 Broadway NY NY 10012 (212) 674-8124

David Gurzynski  * Oh, some like trips in Luxury shops, and some
[email-masked] * in gasoline wagons, and others swear by the
Brooklyn NYC     * upper air and the wings of flying dragons...O Nash

From [email-masked] Sep 13 11:13:19 1995
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 00:08:48 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Community Food Security Newsletter Fall 95

The Community Food Security News Fall 1995
Andy Fisher
CFSC
Po Box 209
Venice, CA 90294
310-822-5410
[email-masked]

For a hard copy, e-mail me your street address.
[text deleted]

For more information:
Joyce Rothermel; Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, 412-672-4949.  Doris
Bloch; LA Regional Foodbank, 213-234-3030. Bill Bolling; Atlanta Community
Food Bank, 404-892-9822. Leigh Hauter; Capitol Area Community Food Bank, 202
526 5344. Leslie Mikkelsen; Alameda County Community Food Bank, 510-568-3663.
Maria Markham; Greater Boston Food Bank, 617-427- 5200. David Sharken;
Western Mass. Food Bank, 413-247-9738

FROM THE FIELD
Upcoming conferences:
National Association of the Farmers' Market Nutrition Program, October 18-21;
Santa Fe, New Mexico.  Mark Winne, 203-296-9325.

The American Community Gardening Association's Gardening: Pathways to
Community, October 5- 8; Portland, Oregon. Leslie Pohl-Kosbau, Portland Parks
and Recreation, 503-823-1612. 

The Marin Institute's Safe Communities: Toward a Comprehensive Urban Agenda,
October 5-8; St. Helena, South Carolina.  Sheila James, Marin Institute,
415-456- 0491.

The 1995 Western Region Community Supported Agriculture, November 12-14; San
Francisco. Jared Lawson, CSA West,  408-459-3964. 

Northeast SAWG, "Annual Harvest Fair Conference," October 10-11; Hebron, MA.
Kathy Ruhf, New England Small Farm Institute, 413-323-4531.

The California Sustainable Agriculture Working Group's Rural-Urban
Partnerships for a Sustainable Food System, December 2-3; Menlo Park. Kai
Siedenburg, CALSAWG, 408-458-5304.

The National Congress for Community Economic Development' A Vision for Change
through Community Economic Development, October 5-7;  Portland, Oregon.
NCCED, 202-234-5009.

The E. F. Schumacher Society's 15th Annual E. F. Schumacher Lectures
featuring Cathrine Sneed, Paul Hawken, and Kent Whealy, October 21; New
Haven, CT. E. F. Schumacher Society, 413-528-1737.

Projects and Studies
Nationwide: The University of CT's Food Marketing Policy Center recently
released a comprehensive study of the lack of supermarkets in 21 inner
cities. Entitled, "The Urban Grocery Store Gap," it is available from Ronald
Cotterill at 203-486-1927.  

San Francisco: The San Francisco League of Urban Gardeners Alemany Urban
Youth Farm  provides an integrated model for an urban farm. It includes
community gardening, youth job training, a vinegar product microenterprise
components, as well as a greenhouse, orchards, and appropriate technology.
For more information, contact Muhammad Nuru, 415-285-SLUG

Los Angeles: Venice High School has teamed up with the environmental
organization Earthsave, Common Ground Gardening Program, and some of the
best-known chefs in Los Angeles to implement the Healthy School Meals
Program. This program will educate students on the environmental impacts of
their food choices, assist the food service director in providing healthy
alternatives in the school cafeteria, and revamp the school's extensive
garden. For more information, contact Susan Campbell at Earthsave,
408-423-4069.

Electronic Resources:
SANET is a computer network dedicated to sustainable agriculture concerns. To
sign up, e-mail to [email-masked] In the body of your e-mail, write
<subscribe sanet-mg>

PANUPS is the newsletter of the Pesticide Action Network. It covers many
sustainable agriculture and pesticide related issues. To sign up, send e-mail
to [email-masked], and write in the body of the text <subscribe
panups>
 
Farm Bill Review  covers a broad range of agricultural and nutrition concerns
related to the Farm Bill. To subscribe,  e-mail to [email-masked], and in
the body of the e-mail write <subscribe farm bill>

SNE_DSFS is an e-mail group for, but not limited to, members of the Division
of Sustainable Food Systems of the Society for Nutrition Education.
Information is shared on topics such as sustainable ag, food processing, food
and ag biotechnology, CSA's, etc.  To sign up, send a message asking to
subscribe to [email-masked] .