Subject: Book: Food from Dryland Gardens (fwd)

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence F. London, Jr.)
Date: 7 Sep 1995 06:55:14 -0000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 00:40:42 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Book: Food from Dryland Gardens

     I have been reading a most helpful book by David Cleveland and 
Daniela Soleri, entitled "Food from Dryland Gardens". Published by 
the Center for People, Food and Environment, supported by The United 
Nations Children's Fund, this is a combination of an overview of the 
worldwide use of home gardens and a detailed handbook of growing gardens
and the tools and resources needed.

     At 387 pages, this is a definitive treatise on a topic which has 
seldom been touched. The very readable text is accompanied by detailed
sketches in a dashing informal style on each topic, drawn by Daniela.

From [email-masked] Apr 19 00:15:02 1996
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:59:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: Radhika Bala <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: native food and dietary changes

I believe it was a Mr. (or Ms. Nigh?) from Mexico who recently
expressed concern about dietary changes induced by imported or
processed foods? I'm afraid I deleted your e-mail this morning but
came across comething later that may be of use to you.

The Center for People, Food and Environment in Tucson, AR published
a book in 1991 called Food from Dryland Gardens: An Ecological,
Nutritional, and Social Approach to Small-Scale Household Food
Production.

The book looks at local "low-esteem" foods and includes information on
land use and nutrition. Resource organizations listed (and the
bibliography) may give you some additional tips.