Subject: Re:clay soils

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 10:12:22 -0500

[The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
    [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]

Re: trees for clay soils... upland (distant water table) or bottomland
(reachable water table)? We work under the same conditions in the parts of
Texas, USA... hot, dry summers, cold, wet winters and deep clay.

I'm away from home and so don't know the address of the Desert Legume
Program (DELEP)  in AZ, USA. They have collected hundreds/thousands of
desert legumes from around the world. Anyone know the address? Perhaps
there are similar programs Down Under.  The legumes in particular seem to
have a lot of drought tolerant denizens which can take wet clay
(deciduousness is probably a key here, since the moisture comes
preponderantly in winter).

At any rate, Prosopis (mesquites -- leaves and pods), Gleditsia (locusts --
leaves and pods), Leucaena (leaves), zillions of Acacias (wattles -- leaves
and pods) will do fine (what's that Acacia/wattle that makes such a good,
rich tea? Maybe another income?). 

Jack Rowe