Subject: Permaculture for farms - input for workshop

From: Mark and Kelly Ludwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:39:47 -0600

Hi Folks,
My name is Mark Ludwig, I manage a small grass based dairy in southern
Wisconsin (USA).  I am giving an all day workshop on PC in March with
another fellow to a group of 50 (or so) organic farmers from the upper
midwest.  We gave a shorter version of this last year and it seemed to
go well.  I have joined this list mostly to stimulate my thinking for
the development of this workshop.  Along those lines, I am open to
suggestions of resources to list for these folks, topics you may want me
to consider etc. etc.  My primary contribution to the workshop is my
background in ecosystem restoration, grass based farming and medium
scale organic/biological  production of grain.  The other guy (Mark
Shepard) has a background in agroforestry and vegetable production.  We
will of course touch on all aspects of PC and try to place them in a
practical farm context.  All comments public and private are welcome.
Thanks
Mark Ludwig
McFarland WI

---

From: miekal and <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:56:46 +0000

Mark, Im hoping that you are thinking of integrating your knowledge
about tall grass prairie restoration into the model of the new farm. 
After spending much of the fall collecting 75 odd species that grow in
the area Im amazed at how easily this seed is come by, & also what great
possibilities it has for supplemental income.  & some of these species
have medicinal, food & economic potentials.  

Dreamtime is discussing the possibility of having a day long gathering
on prairies & permaculture in the summer of 99 & it would be great if
you could help out on this one.

One additional thought to your query is that Im fascinated by solar
barns that integrate a polyculture of animals with a greenhouse system
of perennials, trees & fish.  Do you know of anyone in the upper midwest
trying out these ideas.  Ive seen a number of designs but have yet to
visit a functioning system.

Miekal And
Dreamtime Village

---

From: miekal and <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:56:46 +0000

Miekal And
Dreamtime Village