Subject: [permaculture] RE: Ants in the compost

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:23:09 -0500

Fire ants do indeed seem to prefer dry conditions, though they manage at
least a scouting a presence over every square foot in Texas. When I asked a
Nicaraguan friend what controls fire ants in his country, he said, "Bigger,
meaner ants." I hope he was just messing with my head.

Harrassment (which usually makes mounds move) is my best defense. Boric
acid baits (3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 TBSP boric acid) work in
homes/etc., but you don't want the boric acid all in your garden soil. I
don't think they like a thick mulch, but it doesn't banish them. 

Aardvarks?

Jack

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:23:09 -0500

Aardvarks?

Jack

---

---

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:23:09 -0500

Aardvarks?

Jack

---