Subject: Truth and Belief (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:40:18 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. -+|+- Venaura Farm
[email-masked]   [email-masked]
http://metalab.unc.edu/london, /permaculture, /ecolandtech
EcoLandTech -+|+- InterGarden -+|+- Permaculture

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:19:27 -0500
From: "Ikerd, John E." <[email-masked]>
To: "SANET-MG (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Truth and Belief

Sanet;

It's all a matter of belief - the mental acceptance of and conviction in the
truth, actuality, or validity of something.

All facts depend on beliefs because all proofs rely on beliefs concerning
the appropriate process for separating fact from fallacy.   This does not
imply that all truth is relative, or that truth is determined by beliefs.
It means that truth quite simply has more than one dimension.  Thus, a
person with one set of beliefs may see one dimension of truth while a person
with another set of beliefs sees another.  Truth cannot be whatever we might
wish for it to be, truth exists as an absolute.  Some things are false and
others are true.  But, those things that are true have more than one
dimension.  The more dimensions of truth we are able to see, the more we are
able to understand it.  Our unique beliefs limit us individually to seeing
only one dimension of truth.  We can see other dimensions of truth only
through those who hold beliefs different from our own.

At least, that is what I believe.

John Ikerd

For those who believe
 No proof is necessary.

For those who don't believe
 No proof is possible.

	John and Lyn St. Clair Thomas

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]