Subject: RE: Teach PC!?

From: goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:48:20 -0700

I have had really good results using a experiential learning process which 
I call Consensus Building and Conflict Resolution.  This process is 
founded on the principle of honoring all people and listening with 
respect.  I am conscious of balancing power to reduce the possibility of 
power-related conflicts.

I also work with human nature, as I see it, by acknowledging our response 
to see many things from a "survival of self" or fear-based perspective 
instinctively, then focusing on a "community wellbeing" or hope-based 
perspective.

I have used this process with all kinds of people and cultures ranging 
from Native Americans, Africans (Malawi), European originated people in 
the United States, Canada, and Australia, and even universities (which is 
a breed unto itself - sorry about the bias).  I have used this with women 
/ men groups, various occupations (agriculture, business, education, and 
government service), and various ages (3-70+).

There are many methods as there are people and individual learning styles. 
 This seems to work consistently for me.  Hope this helps.

Carl Jeffry Goebel
WSU-Kellogg Holistic Management Project
125 Clark Hall
P.O. Box 646310
Pullman, WA  99164-6310
Phone: (509)335-7342
Fax: (509)335-1082

Excellence can be attained if you...
Care more than others think is wise,
Risk more than others think is safe,
Dream more than others think is practical,
Expect more than others think is possible.

-----Original Message-----
From:	Jenny [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Monday, May 25, 1998 10:47 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Teach PC!?

I want to start a discussion about teaching styles and
methods that have been proven effective primarily in the
United States and are slowly integrated in other
cultural regions.

The importance of permaculture being tought at it's
highest level to everyone everywhere is a challenge.
Is it a matter of how to teach, for example, children
on their level of maturity, intelligence, backround,
culture.....and attention span.
Some teaching methods have been proven to be more
effective than others. Independent on the approach
the material and it's value shall not be compromised.
Obviously, different alleys are needed to reach
different target groups.

PC thought in "Lecture Style" vs.Experiential
Teaching/Learning, Seminar style vs. whatever unique
style and methods of reaching and teaching.

How do these methods sacrifice their effectiveness
depending on the culture and history of the region
or country?

Thanks for your thoughts

Jenny Cocq

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:39:49 -0400 (EDT)

The First People of the Americas have a philosophical basis for diversity 
management derived from many practises, but usually based on Thanksgiving 
(kanonweratonsera). In the Thanksgiving address there is an appreciation 
for every thing in creation even that "Creator". Every thing has a gift, 
a gift we humans find useful for our sustenance and life. We may laud the 
flowers, the food plants, and animal life, but we are also aware of 
thistles, turkey buzzards, and snakes. So when we give thanks for the 
birds for instance, we're also giving thanks for the buzzards as well.  
As members of the living world, people also have gifts. We give thanks 
for the male-kind and female-kind and their gifts.

It is only recently among Amerindians, with nearly half our people living
in urban settings, that the "I-Thou" relationship to the world is being
replaced by the "I-It". 

It was pleasure to read of your work.

Thohahoken

---

From: Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:12:26 -0700

It is interesting to note  that few (if any!) other languages have a
word for "it" as used in English-- not even European languages.Even
German, which has a third, "non-gender"form ( das), does not apply it
generically to all objects. Many objects are "masculine or feminine"in
this language ( and often inverted from Latin languages: the sun is
feminine, the moon masculine, contrary to Spanish, French,
Portuguese...)  It must be a significant aspect of inner programming
that you call a tree "her" ( as in Portuguese, etc.) or "it" as in
English...In Permaculture works  here in Brazil I  find the sacred,
living, aspects of Nature are very near the surface for people, covered
by a thin veneer of recent materialism. Brazilians move into intuitive
and receptive mode very quickly, with  a "great sigh of relief" , as if
this is more natural for them. ( The only resistent ones are those with
doctor`s degrees from the USA...)They work comfortably with all aspects
of the new paradigm ( where all is interconnected  and alive) including
energetic ( invisible and difficult to explain) aspects --This explains
why  a linear hierarchical information-passing mode of teaching in not
as effective for this temperament as a more integrative-type approach as
mentioned below ( unless the public is trained in US universities, in
which case the linear form funcions   better). It may be a clue to PC
teachers to take a closer look at and respect  mental structures created
by the  language of their students...

Marsha Hanzi
Technical coordinator
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
Brazil

---

From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:24:21 +1000

the learning process for the individual needs a peaceful and supportive
environment true,
but it also needs inspirational forces and triggers for creative energy.
April

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of goebel
> Sent: Wednesday, 27 May 1998 15:48
> To: [email-masked]'
> Cc: [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: Teach PC!?
>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:39:49 -0400 (EDT)

Thohahoken

---

From: Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:12:26 -0700

Marsha Hanzi
Technical coordinator

---

From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:24:21 +1000