Subject: Re: an alternative label (fwd)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:45:31 -0800 (PST)

We're a creative lot..lets get on it... PureGreen?  CareGrown?  HonestGreen?
HonestPure? 

Just got a hold of the new 'Organic Gardening Magazine' and ' Yoga
Journal'.. YJ has a big cover spread "Growing Pains..Will Organic Food Stay
Organic?" and a 10 plus page article.  OG doesn't show it anywhere on the
cover but has a 2 pager, 'What is Organic..Soon the USDA will define and
regulate organic food...." Haven't even had a chance to read them yet..just
glad the word is getting out.  I bet there are some good ideas there..

Vicki

02:22 PM 1/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>---------- Forwarded message ----------
>Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 08:29:54 -0800
>From: "S. Moore" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: an alternative label
>
>I agree with your interpretation Beth.  USDA's intent here is transparent.
>They are attempting to prevent any labeling which informs the consumer,
>"ironically grown" included.  READ SECTION 205.103!  It prohibits any
>labeling that IMPLIES organic, much less any labeling that includes
>"organic".  IT IS AN OUTRAGE!!!
>
>Steve Moore
>[email-masked]
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Beth von Gunten <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
><[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
><[email-masked]>
>Date: Saturday, January 17, 1998 10:17 PM
>Subject: an alternative label
>
>
>><[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>...I like Beyondorganic Greenfood for starters..Any ideas? I
>>
>>LL wrote:
>>>So do I. I believe your saintly personage has bestowed
>>>upon the organic market farmers of the world a label that
>>>could become a banner to rally behind into the twenty-first
>>>century.  BEYONDORGANIC GREENFOOD. Perfectly appropriate,
>>>a label that says it all. I will use it.
>>>Anyone know if this would be legal under the NOP or will use of it
>>>in the marketplace bring squads of organic control freaks to the farm?
>>
>>
>>Sorry guys, but this is *exactly* what the new rule is intended to prevent.
>>
>>At this point, I guess I'd call anything I grew Ironically Grown.  I don't
>>think they can get me on that.  (Yet.)
>>
>>Beth von Gunten
>>Ventura County, California
>>
>>
>>
>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:45:31 -0800 (PST)

Vicki

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 11:46:31 -0500 (EST)

http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 22:56:01 -0600
From: Guy Clark <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: an alternative label

Beth-
	I like the "Ironically Grown" label idea.  I also like Rodale's term
"Regenerative."  Does the Demeter Society have a term they have been using
for years?  Will "biodynamic" become illegal?  I think they would have, not
only a free speech objection, but also a freedom of religion objection.  
	It is interesting to see how the discussion has moved from informing each
other to calls to action and now calls to revolt.  "Organic is dead, long
live organic!"  I think we will all be performing multiple steps in this
dance with USDA, and if they don't watch out I might start doing the POGO. 
I plan to hit that at every step in the process with as much passion as I
can manage, merely the energy trapped in an atom.
	I spoke with the Missouri Chapter of OCIA on Saturday and the Missouri
Organic Association board too.  They are getting wound up.  I also spoke to
my master gardener group tonight, and these are not organic activists but
suburban hobbyists, and they were disgusted.  We were meeting in an
extension office, ironically.  In the next week or two I hope to speak with
some back to the landers in Cooper county, Missouri.  While the motion has
been slow to start, it is now putting on steam.  Should we be trying to
extend the comment period into summer?  I like July 4 as our day of
Independence from USDA.
Namaste',
Guy Clark