Subject: Re: urban ag

From: Phil Gillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:55:34 -0800

While it would sure be nice to have many more of our urban and suburban
lawns converted into gardens, the fact remains that suburban and urban
contruction frequently involves vast disruption of soil ecology, and
even more often, the complete removal of native topsoil to be replaces
by chem fertilizer and imported sod. If folks want to farm and urban 1/2
acre plots are too small for them, perhaps they should buy multiple lots
in suburban area, or even better, farm land prior to subdivision. As can
be seen by the fact that Japan and Korea are net importers of food, and
soon china may be as well, the concept of urban/suburban ag is NOT a
solution, only one of many parts- other crucial parts include the
conservation of farmland in immediate proximity to urban area, and the
continued profitability of that land, which is, i believe, the primary
reason we are reading this list.
phil gillman

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail