Subject: Farm Management Staff needed (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 23:52:19 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:55:53 EST
From: Fgu3 <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Farm Management Staff needed

Farm Management-Based Internship Opportunity

Program Description
"From the Ground Up" seeks farm-based interns for the 1998 growing season.
>From the Ground Up is a community development project sponsored by the
Chesapeake Bay Foundation, the Capital Area Food Bank, and the Chesapeake
Community Supported Agriculture Group.  The project was developed in 1992 to
bring diverse groups of people together for a community building activity
centered on food and environment, while developing a food system for low-
income participants.  From the Ground Up (FGU) uses the "Community Supported
Agriculture" (CSA) arrangement to grow and distribute seasonal vegetables.
Vegetables are delivered for 25 weeks to project participants (shareholders).
In addition, we host several festivals yearly and publish a monthly
newsletter.  

Internship Program
The "FGU" internship program is unique compared to other CSA's in that
vegetable production is only one part of our agricultural activity.  In
addition to vegetable production, interns will become familiar with intensive
rotational grazing of a cow-calf production herd and a pastured poultry
production flock. While our production at the Clagett Farm Center is
exclusively low-input with regard to agricultural chemicals, other production
management methods will be discussed.  Weekly farm tours of varying production
systems will be scheduled.  Field trips with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation'
education staff will also occur. 

Interns will be provided housing on-farm and a weekly stipend.  Applicants
should have a strong interest in whole farm management of small-scale, limited
resource production systems. Applicants should be willing to use machinery and
comfortable with other tools.  Applicants must be willing to make investments
of time in reading and becoming technically familiar with agricultural
production.

Two positions are available. Interested applicants should contact:
Jonathan Moscatello
FGU Production Manager		
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
(301) 574-2490		 [email-masked]