Subject: Re: Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus)

From: [email-masked] (Peter Birkett)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:51:36 +0200

Dear Ute

I grew Kiwanos last year in my greenhouse ( situated 35 km West of Munich).
I didn't pay the Kiwanos much attention and grew them between Tomatoes. They
did come in the end, but very late. I think I got my first fruit in October,
although I did not as I remember start particularly early in the season. I
think I sowed in April and planted at the end of May.

I did however decide to drop them as the fruits weren't any better tasting
than good cucumbers and a lot more difficult to handle. For massive crops I
suggest Lagonaria which climb all over the place (one escaped onto the roof
of my greenhouse, I was scared the fruits would break the windows) and taste
good.

If they don't wan't to fruit try breaking of the growing tips, maybe they'll
change to fruiting. Whereas if they are not producing flowers maybe a
spraying of Valerian extract (Baldrianblueten) will help.

Kiwano seems to be in at the moment, I think mostly because they look odd.

Hope this helped.

Pete

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Ute Bohnsack <[email-masked]>
An: Organic-l Mailing List <[email-masked]>; Permaculture
<[email-masked]>; Permakultur-Mailingliste
<[email-masked]>
Datum: Freitag, 6. August 1999 15:24
Betreff: Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus)

>Hi!
>Has anybody experience with Kiwano (=African Horned Cucumber = Jelly
Melon)?
>I got a few seeds this spring from a lad in France, sowed them on April 5,
>planted them out in my tunnel (a bit late) on June 11. At planting I saw a
>flower on one of the 5 plants. Now they are growing like triffids but there
are
>no flowers, i.e. no fruit!
>(BTW I've done a lot of planting this year according to Norbert Kaschels
moon
>phases and cosmic rhythms but due to time constraints sowed the Kiwano on a
LEAF
>day! ... but all that is a different story)
>Is Kiwano flowering linked to day lenghts? If so, what would be the
>requirements? Or could the ground be too rich (I made a large planting
whole for
>each plant, filled with compost)?
>It belongs to the genus Cucumis, as do cucumbers, gherkins, melons. They
all
>flower still.
>I'm in the West of Ireland (equiv. US zones 8/9).
>
>Bamboozled,
>
>Ute
>

---

From: Ute Bohnsack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:13:58 +0100

> think I sowed in April and planted at the end of May.
So there's hope yet...
> than good cucumbers and a lot more difficult to handle.
Hmmm. It was the description as tasting between melon and banana that attracted
me...
They definitely serve well as a weed-suppressing ground cover!!!

 For massive crops I
> of my greenhouse, I was scared the fruits would break the windows) and taste

I got some seeds for next year already! 
> spraying of Valerian extract (Baldrianblueten) will help.
I have cut of the tips as someone else on alt.permaculture had suggested that.
Valerian is a good idea, too.

> Kiwano seems to be in at the moment, I think mostly because they look odd.
Certainly not out here. Have never seen them anywhere. Maybe in Dublin. But then
there are plenty people here who have never eaten a squash, aubergine or radish
in their life. 
> Hope this helped.
Sure did. Thanks.
> Pete

Ute
BTW Have we met? In Prinzhöfte or Steyerberg?

-- 
Dipl.-Ing. TU Landschafts- und Freiraumplanung
Ute Bohnsack
Sailchearnach
Clogher
Kilfenora
Co. Clare
Ireland
mailto:[email-masked]
EN-DE-EN Naturschutz, Landschaftsplanung, Landwirtschaft
http://www.atril.com/bin/directory.dll/1546