Subject: Fw: GIVE YOUR SUPPORT TO SWISS REFERENDUM ON GMOs,...

From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:03:22 -0000

----------
> From: Dora Ann Lange Canhos <[email-masked]>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Fwd: [Fwd: (Fwd) GIVE YOUR SUPPORT TO SWISS REFERENDUM ON
GMOs,...]]
> Date: 23 March 1998 10:07
> 
> 
> 
> --
> Dora Ann Lange Canhos         E-mail: [email-masked]
> http://www.bdt.org.br/~dora   Tel:    +55 19 242-7022
> Base de Dados Tropical        Fax:    +55 19 242-7827
> Fundacao "Andre' Tosello"     (http://www.bdt.org.br/bdt/)
> 
> 

Subject: [Fwd: (Fwd) GIVE YOUR SUPPORT TO SWISS REFERENDUM ON GMOs,...]
From: John Kleba <[email-masked]>
To: adriano <[email-masked]>, andre <[email-masked]>, Angela Cordeiro <[email-masked]>, apremavi <[email-masked]>, Armando <[email-masked]>, Capobianco <[email-masked]>, cica <[email-masked]>, David Hathaway <[email-masked]>, "denis b�hme" <[email-masked]>, dora <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, feijao <[email-masked]>, Iara <[email-masked]>, "Jean Marc e Silvio Gomes," <[email-masked]>, joerg <[email-masked]>, marcinha <[email-masked]>, Marilena Lazzarini <[email-masked]>, Moni
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 23:14:58 -0800

Subject: (Fwd) GIVE YOUR SUPPORT TO SWISS REFERENDUM ON GMOs,...
From: "Ingrid Hamakers" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:47:03 +0000

mailinglist genet-news
-------------------------
From:          Stephanie Howard <[email-masked]>

               SUPPORT SWISS REFERENDUM
        ON GENETICALLY ENGINEERED CROPS
              and ANIMALS and PATENTS ON LIFE

                 PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY!

On June 7, Swiss people will have the opportunity to vote for strict
limitations on genetic engineering, its applications and accompanying
legislative frameworks (legal protection for biotechnological
inventions - i.e., patents on life). The referendum, the initiative of
the largest ever gathering of organisations in Switzerland, proposes
the following additions to the Swiss constitution:

A prohibition of:

the creation of and trade in genetically modified animals;
the release of genetically modified organisms into the environment;
the patenting of genetically modified animals and plants or parts of
them, or processes or products involved. (Below you will find a more
detailed description of the proposed changes to the constitution and
the history of the referendum.)

Lucky Swiss, you say! How many of us wouldn't give our right arms for
such an opportunity in the European Union. However, home-base for
giant transnationals such as Nestle, Novartis and Hoffmann-Laroche,
Switzerland and the Swiss people are under siege from a massive, 35,
000, 000 SF barrage of pro-biotech propaganda through all media
channels. Among the psychological manipulations are the portayal of
the Swiss as backward (everyone else in Europe has had these debates
and concluded in favour of genetechnologies), a yes to strict
limitations on genetechnologies would be a no to progress (their
definition thereof).

The initiators of the referendum  need your support as a counterweight
to the massive industry pressure and as an encouragement to Swiss
people to actually go and vote and vote YES!

You can sign the petition below. And you can write a letter of support
to the initiators stressing the DUTY of Swiss people to vote YES to
severe restrictions on the practice of genetechnlogies in Switzerland.
International support for the campaign to secure stringent limitations
on the applications of genetic engineering and to ban patents on life
will be used to encourage the public to vote YES (for a ban on all of
the above).

A victory for the YES will be an important victory for all individuals
and organisations in Europe. It would create a strong case for
campaigns worldwide: we will be able to point to the fact that where
the public has been consulted, they have clearly said no to
genetechnologies. So please give your support to the referendum!

    INTERNATIONAL PETITION IN SUPPORT OF THE REFERENDUM ON TRANSGENIC
          SEEDS AND THE PATENTING OF LIFE IN SWITZERLAND

To strengthen our many struggles for liberation from multinational
colonialism, we call on the swiss people's solidarity to stand up
against the patenting of life and the use of genetically engineered
species. The Swiss people have the unique chance to reject this
'development', we ask them to hear out appeal and vote YES to the
referendum.

This will show a clear and strong sign to the world that where people
can express a vote, they then reject patenting of life and the
direction followed by the promoters of genetic engineering.

SIGNED:

Name:

Organisation:

Address:

Number of Members:

Country:

Signature:

PLEASE SEND TO GREENPEACE SWITZERLAND NO LATER THAN MARCH 27

Greenpeace Switzerland
10 rue de Neuchatel
CP 1558 Ch 1211 GENEVA 1
fax: + 41 22 741 03 64
tel: + 41 22 731 00 18
email: [email-masked]

FURTHER INFORMATION ON THE REFERENDUM:

A Wording of the "gene protection initiative"
B What do the paragraphs of the gene protection initiative mean?
C History of the gene protection initiative
D Popular Rights in Switzerland

****************************************************************

A Wording of the "gene protection initiative"
---------------------------------------------

 Proposal for the amendment of the Federal Constitution,
 paragraph 24decies:

 1 The Confederation enacts rules to prevent abuse of genetic
 engineering and hazards caused by genetic modification of animals,
 plants and other organisms. It respects the dignity of the creatures
 and the inviolability of beings, the conservation and use of genetic
 diversity and the security of humans, animals and environment.

 2 Prohibited:
 a) The creation and acquisition of genetically modified animals; b)
 The release of genetically modified organisms; c) The patenting of
 genetically modified animals and plants or parts of them, or
 processes or products involved.

 3 The legislation gives directions concerning:
 a) The creation of and trade in genetically modified plants;
 b) Industrial production with genetically modified organisms;
 c) Research with genetically modified organisms, which poses a risk
 to human health or the environment.

 4 Applicants must prove utility, security, absence of alternatives
 and ethical acceptability.

*****************************************************

B What do the paragraphs of the gene protection initiative mean?
----------------------------------------------------------------

Paragraph 1 is primarly a legislation mandate to the government. Human
genes are already protected by a paragraph adopted in a 1992 votation.
The gene protection initiative seeks to extent the protection to other
organisms. This paragraph summarizes the intention of the following
paragraphs. It seeks to guarantee that within the legislation, higher
standards are respected, e.g. the Rio convention, in particular the
protection of biodiversity and the dignity of creatures.

 Paragraph 2a seeks to draw a boundary in the field of animal
 protection and animal ethics. It forbids the genetic manipulation of
 animals and trade in genetically altered animals. The technological
 breeding of animals is banned. Cloning as such would still be
 permitted. But clone experiments, such as those which produced Dolly
the sheep, are only interesting****** in connection with a previous
genetic modification of the "object" and would in practical terms be
thereby prevented. Furthermore, the genetically produced, so-called
disease models, where (human) diseases are artificially expressed in
animals, would be prevented.

 Paragraph 2b sets an ecological boundary. The prohibition on the
 release of genetically modified organisms limits genetic engineering
 to closed systems (greenhouses, laboratories, fermenters,
 bioreactors). The cultivation of genetech plants and applications
with viruses or bacteria in the open air would be banned. Gene
therapies or inoculations with living-organism vaccines are allowed
since excretion of patients are not treated as release.

 Paragraph 2c sets an ethical and socio-political boundary. The
 prohibition of patenting life asserts that genes and organisms are
 not inventions, nor stable systems nor intellectual property like
 chemicals or machine parts. Existing patent law says this already,
 the initiative simply seeks to reaffirm the status quo.

 Paragraph 3 is only a legislation mandate, a specification for the
 remaining organisms such as plants and micro-organisms. There are no
 prohibitions. It is not written: "The legislation forbids... " but
rather "the legislation gives regulations... ". Regulations which
regulate the activities mentioned are to be created.

 Paragraph 3 calls for safe conditions and the monitoring of
 laboratories or factories. Or the liability: Whoever can justify
 gentech applications pays in an accident.

 Paragraph 4 implicitly contains an expanded grant procedure with a
 reversal of burden of proof. The term "Applicant" refers, for
 example, to companies which want to launch a genetically manufactured
 product. They have to prove the items mentioned.

**********************************************************************

C History of the gene protection initiative
-------------------------------------------

In 1992, a new article for the federal constitution was accepted in a
votation. It concerns human reproduction technologies. Artificial
fertilization (in-vitro-fertilization IVF) is allowed under certain
conditions, and limits are set (e.g. prohibition of embryo research or
lending-maternity).

For non-human organisms, the article contains certain principles, such
as respect for the dignity of beings. This article was not strict
enough for some groupings. Conservative groups launched an initiative
which seeks to forbid human IVF. The government is working on a
reproduction medical law as a counter-proposal, which allows IVF but
forbids gene technology with humans (germ line therapy, egg donation).
The date of this votation is not fixed yet. To expand the protection
of genes to all other beings the "Swiss working group gene technology"
launched the "gene protection initiative". It was submitted in 1993
with around 111000 signatures. The Federal Council ("Ministers") and
both chambers of the Parliament recommend the rejection of the
amendment in the votation that will take place on June 7th 1998.

The social-democratic party prepared a counter proposal in order to
give people the possibility to select between stricter and less strict
gene protection regulations. The counter-proposal would have allowed
explicitly the "manufacturing" of genetically altered animals as an
exception for medical research. The weaker counter proposal was also
rejected by the parliament without discussion, and people will not be
able to vote on it.

***********************************************************

D Popular Rights in Switzerland
-------------------------------

Elections

All Swiss citizens over the age of 18 are eligible to take part in the
elections to the National Council. Persons who may vote can also stand
for election. However, active members of the clergy and civil servants
of the Federation must choose between elected office and their
profession. The Federation has no responsibility for elections to the
Council of States; the cantons apply their own rules.

Popular ballots

Persons who are entitled to take part in elections to the National
Council may also vote in Federal popular ballots. A vote of this kind
must be taken on all amendments to the Federal Constitution and on
accession to certain international organizations (compulsory
referendum).

For the proposal to be adopted, a majority of the valid votes cast
(popular majority) must be secured as well as a majority of the votes
of the  cantons (majority of states). A popular vote only has to be
taken on laws, important Federal decrees of Parliament which have a
similar status to laws, and on certain treaties in international law
if this is specially requested (see referendum). In that case, a
majority of the votes cast will suffice for adoption.

 Popular initiative (like the gene protection initiative)

 By signing an initiative within a period of 18 months, 100,000
 electors may seek an amendment to the Federal Constitution; the
 amendment will be adopted if the people and cantons accept the
 proposed revision in a popular ballot. Cantons (State initiative) and
 Members of Parliament have a similar, although less binding, right to
 make proposals. A popular initiative may either put forward the exact
 new text of the Constitution or be couched in the terms of a general
 proposal.

 Referendum

 Referendum is to all intents and purposes simply another word for a
 popular ballot. A referendum is compulsory on any amendment to the
 Constitution.  A vote must only be taken on Federal laws and
 decisions of Parliament with equivalent effect (see popular ballots)
 if this is requested by 50,000 electors who give their signatures
 within 90 days - 100 days remaining for decrees which will come into
 force with effect from 1st April 1997 - (optional referendum). In
 popular parlance, this is known as "asking for a referendum." Eight
 cantons acting together may also seek a referendum.

Petition

 Everyone is entitled to present a petition to any authority. His or
 her interests must not be prejudiced as a result of having done so.

---

From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:03:22 -0000

----------
GMOs,...]]

mailinglist genet-news

               SUPPORT SWISS REFERENDUM

A prohibition of:

SIGNED:

Name:

Organisation:

Address:

Number of Members:

Country:

Signature:

Greenpeace Switzerland
10 rue de Neuchatel
CP 1558 Ch 1211 GENEVA 1
fax: + 41 22 741 03 64
tel: + 41 22 731 00 18
email: [email-masked]

 2 Prohibited:

Elections

Popular ballots

 Referendum

Petition