Subject: Re: permaculture digest: August 25, 1999

From: rick valley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 99 11:08:41 -0700

>Permaculture itself is just an idea spread via books
Ruthless de-contextualization, but... for me, permaculture as a book thang
didn't go too far until I started trying to communicate face-to-face about it
w/others; this upped my understanding a level, and I realized I'd find a
design course useful- more learning in an oral mode- Mollison's stories. And
when I saw a need for teaching- (a non-pdc grad teaching a wierd version of
Pc) I began using visual and 3-d model examples and processes. The whole
time, before and since, I've been living and working Pc, not necessarily
using the term. So I guess I could say that Pc has led me to buy, read, and
write, and otherwise use books and computers....
"If the world was a village of 100"- is a very low-resolution sample, for
graphic simplicity- but the 1 computer owner/5 computer owner thing also
probably relates to how long the writing has been out there; its not exactly
new. -Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves 
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370 
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)929-7152  Bamboo catalog $2 or at 
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: rick valley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 99 11:08:48 -0700

>> Therefore I am writing for your assistance and guidance regarding the
>> educational choices of this student.
Some of the best advice along these lines is a paper from the Earthcare Conf.
in '84 (essentially the first Permaculture Conference) David Holmgren: An
Eclectic Aproach to the Skills of Reading the Landscape & Their Application
to Permaculture Consultancy.(in The Earthcare Handbook)  My files are packed
up right now- but perhaps you can find a copy- if not, lemme know. -Rick

---