Subject: Fwd: Upcoming lectures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 21:34:31 -0400 (EDT)

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Fwd: Upcoming lectures
Date:    97-10-03 08:14:49 EDT
From:    Permacltur
To:      YankeePerm

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Upcoming lectures
Date:    97-10-02 19:35:49 EDT
From:    EFSSOCIETY
To:      Permacltur

Just a note to let you know of the upcoming event...please forward to any
groups that might be interested.  Thanks!

****

The 17th Annual E. F. Schumacher Lectures will be held on Saturday, October
18th, from 10:00am to 4:30pm at the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, MA,
featuring lectures by three visionaries:  

           JOHN MOHAWK, 
        GREG WATSON, and
           ARTHUR ZAJONC

They will speak about issues of environment, indigenous peoples, community
self-reliance, and the effects of technology upon culture.  For more
information about this exciting day of lectures and discussion, call the E.
F. Schumacher Society at (413) 528-1737, or visit web site
 www.schumachersociety.org

DETAILS:

John Mohawk is a member of the Seneca Nation of Indians, serving on its
Planning Commission and its Investment Committee.  He is a member of the Six
Nations Iroquois Confederacy Grand Council and has represented the Mohawk
Nation in negotiations to end conflicts in Columbia and Iran.  Both Daybreak,
a news magazine which he presently edits, and Akwasasne Notes which he
formerly edited, have won journalistic awards.  His books include Exiled in
the Land of the Free written with Oren Lyons, A Basic Call to Consciousness,
and The Red Buffalo.  In addition he has contributed essays to many books and
journals on Native American culture and affairs.  John Mohawk is currently an
Assistant Professor of American Studies at SUNY Buffalo.  He is
internationally recognized as an authentic and gentle spokesperson for
indigenous values and culture.  He will speak on the parallels he has
witnessed between the global culture's treatment of indigenous peoples and
its treatment of the earth's environment. 

Greg Watson is the Executive Director of the Dudley Street Neighborhood
Initiative, a resident-driven community planning organization in Roxbury,
Massachusetts founded in 1984.  Previously Mr. Watson acted as Director of
Educational Programs for Second Nature and as Director of The Nature
Conservancy's Eastern Regional Office.  From 1990 through 1993 he served as
Commissioner of the Massachusetts Department of Food and Agriculture and in
that role led a state-wide effort to develop a market for locally-grown
produce.  In the 1980's he served as Educational Director for the New Alchemy
Institute, a leader in the field of appropriate technology.  Greg Watson is a
charismatic and articulate speaker making the links between social issues and
environmental issues.  His years as a community activist have taught him to
listen and wait for the inherent "Wisdom that Builds Community," his theme
for this year's Schumacher Lecture.  

Arthur Zajonc is a Professor of Physics at Amherst College.  At the Ecole
Superieure in Paris, the Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics, and the
Universities of Rochester, Innsbruck, and Hanover he has done research in
atomic and laser physics, quantum optics, and the experimental foundations of
quantum mechanics.  He lectures widely on the history and philosophy of
science and the relationship of science to contemporary life.  He is author
of Catching the Light:  the Entwined History of Light and Mind, co-author
with George Greenstein of The Quantum Challenge, and co-editor of Goethe's
Way of Science.  He is Program Director for the Fetzer Institute, President
of the Anthroposophical Society in America, and President of the Lindisfarne
Association.  Acclaimed by audiences as an effective speaker, he has a
reputation of making science not only accessible, but "poetic."  His new
book, in progress, discusses the effect of technology on our culture.  The
title of his Schumacher Lecture is "Buddhist Technology: Bringing a New
Consciousness to Our Technological Future."

The Schumacher Lectures are known internationally for bringing together
prominent environmentalists and economists to speak on issues of
"sustainability."  Yale University Press just published a collection of past
Schumacher Lectures titled People, Land and Community: Collected E. F.
Schumacher Society Lectures.  The book is available from local bookstores and
includes contributions by:  Kirkpatrick Sale, Jane Jacobs, David Ehrenfeld,
Wes Jackson, Wendell Berry, David Brower, Stephanie Mills, and Hazel
Henderson.  The authors explore topics that range from agricultural reform to
bioregional economics. They all, however, focus on the importance of
community, healthy and locally based economies of scale, education, the
dignity of good work, and balance between human needs and the well-being of
the natural world.

The Annual E. F. Schumacher Lectures were initiated to honor the ideas that
Schumacher first put forward in his classic book *Small Is Beautiful:
Economics as if People Mattered*. An economist, Schumacher was one of the
first popular writers to make the connection between economics and
environmental issues.  Each year the lectures are transcribed and published
as pamphlets; Yale University Press recently published 21 of these in book
form, entitled *People, Land and Community:  The Collected E. F. Schumacher
Society Lectures*.  The E. F. Schumacher Society is located in Great
Barrington, Massachusetts and maintains a computer-indexed library which
includes the personal library of Fritz Schumacher.  

This year's lecture program will begin with registration at 10:00am and will
continue through 4:30pm.  Author Kirkpatrick Sale, a board member of the E.
F. Schumacher Society, will open the event with welcoming remarks.   Tickets
are $20 per person and may be purchased from the E. F. Schumacher Society,
140 Jug End Road, Great Barrington, Massachusetts 01230, (413) 528-1737,
<[email-masked]>.  Advance registration is recommended.  An optional box
lunch must be pre-ordered two weeks in advance or participants may bring
their own bag lunch.  

Co-sponsoring organizations for the Seventeenth Annual E. F. Schumacher
Lectures are the Center for Environmental Studies at Williams College, Orion
Society-publishers of *Orion* magazine, and the Berkshire-Litchfield
Environmental Council.  Internet users may visit the Schumacher Society's web
site for more information <http://www.schumachersociety.org>.