Subject: Ovine sylviculture (sheep eating trees)

From: Mark Ludwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:26:57 -0600

We have been nibbleing around the edges of a discusion on grazing tree and
shrub crops (pun intended).  I'm curious if people out there have expiriance
with this (other than inadvertent maulings of course).  I'm interested in
cool temperate species, and especially what kind of production one gets from
the animals on a browse bearing diet.   I'm  making plans for a tree nursery
this spring and would like some lead time for seed aquisition.  So what's
out there to eat?  Dan already suggested aspens via some russian reserch,
and noted (on a differant list) that alders tend to have palitabilty
troubles.  Other friends suggest that black and honey locust become
excessively thorny when grazed.   What  other ideas are  out there?  
Mark

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:40:52 +0100

Mark Ludwig wrote:

  Other friends suggest that black and honey locust become
> excessively thorny when grazed.   What  other ideas are  out there?

You must remember that weve planted nurseries of thornless honey locust
with great success, think Ive grown a couple hundred of em from seed. 
whatabout the biomass willow, the one that Bear Creek is pushing,  mine
have only been in the ground for 1 year but they already look pretty
vigorous.

Miekal

-- 
@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#
Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime
QAZINGULAZA: And/Was/Wakest website:
http://net22.com/qazingulaza
e-mail for DT & And/Was: [email-masked]