Subject: HR1504 and S910 (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:21:41 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:58:50 EDT
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: HR1504 and S910

Hi Sanet Members,
  Anyone know more about the two bills below.  I saw this on the Biotech list 
and am wondering if there is more to this story.
Best,
Thomas Wittman

HR1504 and S910 pending in the US Congress and Senate right now despite any 
original good intent are bad law that will repress biological control 
alternatives to pesticide, in the guise of "protecting the environment".  
Callous bureaucrats are turning the environmental community upon itself to 
protect the pesticide marketplace. Biological control agents are not "plant 
pests" no mater how badly the pesticide industry would like them labeled that 
way.  Releasing beneficial insects are not "biological invasions" that are 
more environmentally damming than pesticide use. They are instead a vast and 
underutilized natural rescue belonging to all Americans.  Please while there 
is still time request a copy of this legislation and send your comments to 
your elected officials, also Dan Glickman, Secretary of Agriculture, and 
President Clinton. 

Passage of this legislation will turn the federal government into "Ladybug 
Police" that will warn against the possible environmental damage from 
ladybugs, lacewings and predatory mites while failing to protect the public 
especially children and women from pesticides adequately. Biological control 
has one of the best health, human safety, environmental records and economic 
efficiencies of any human enterprise.  These laws will create thousands of 
new roadblocks in every state, giving legal authority to block projects to 
replace the ambiguous authority that has been used for years to keep 
pesticides in schools, our homes, workplaces and crops.  These bills will 
also effectively and negatively impact the food quality protection act (FQPA) 
that is reducing the amount of pesticides in our children's food supply.  The 
public and the common good will not be protected from harm.  However I 
believe that access will be officially denied to safer, more affordable 
sustainable alternatives, this will be the practical result of these deeply 
flawed proposals. Stop this deceptive legislation now.

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]