Subject: [ecopath] What is Deep Ecology? (fwd)

From: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 11:40:44 -0400 (EDT)

http://metalab.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 08:37:30 -0700
From: Jeff Owens <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ecopath] What is Deep Ecology?

The following is a definition of Deep Ecology taken from the
Deep Ecology discussion list.  Originally posted by:
  Julie Johnston <[email-masked]>

 ----
 
What is DEEP ECOLOGY?

 Deep Ecology is a holistic approach to facing world problems
 that brings together thinking, feeling, spirituality and
 action.  It involves moving beyond the individualism of
 Western culture towards also seeing ourselves as part of the
 earth.  This leads to a deeper connection with life, where
 Ecology is not just seen as something 'out there', but
 something we are part of and have a role to play in.

                Two Approaches to Ecology
                
    1.Scientific Ecology - the study of the inter-relationships
      between species and their environment.

 In this approach, the relationship is of a detached observer
 separate from the object of study.  The focus is on
 measurable data 'out there', collected by experts who know
 their 'facts and figures'.

    2.Deep Ecology - Experiencing ourselves as part of the living
      earth and finding our role in protecting the planet.

 In this approach, the relationship is more of an involved
 participant, who feels connected with and part of the world
 around them.  This is for everybody, not just experts, each
 being moved by our values, experiences and feelings to do
 our bit for the world around us.

Why Deep?

 The term 'Deep Ecology' was first introduced by the
 Norwegian activist and philosopher Arne Naess in the early
 1970's, when stressing the need to move beyond superficial
 responses to the social and ecological problems we face.  He
 proposed that we ask 'deeper questions', looking at the 'why
 and how' of the way we live and seeing how this fits with
 our deeper beliefs, needs and values.  Asking questions like
 "How can I live in a way that is good for me, other people
 and our planet?" may lead us to make deep changes in the way
 we live.  Deep Ecology can also be seen as part of a much
 wider process of questioning of basic assumptions in our
 society that is leading to a new way of looking at science,
 politics, health care, education, spirituality and many other
 areas.  Because this change in the way we see things is so
 wide ranging, it has been called a new 'worldview'.  It
 tends to emphasize the relationships between different
 areas, bringing together personal and social change, science
 and spirituality, economics and ecology.  Deep Ecology
 applies this new worldview to our relationship with the
 earth.  In doing this, it challenges deep-seated assumptions
 about the way we see ourselves, moving from just seeing
 ourselves as 'individuals' towards also seeing ourselves as
 part of the earth.  This can increase both our sense of
 belonging in life and our tendency to act for life.

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]