Subject: [permaculture] UC Santa Cruz Farm & Alan Chadwick Garden

From: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:19:21 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:10:40 -0800
From: David Oretsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: hello

Hi there,
I've finally joined the CSA listserv and would like to introduce myself. My
name is Nancy Vail and my husband is David Oretsky. We are both currently
running the CSA program here at the UC Santa Cruz Farm & Garden with the
hopes of eventually locating land and beginning our own CSA farm.
Each spring 35-40 people from around the world come to the Farm & Garden to
take part in the six-month Apprenticeship in Ecological Horticulture,
offered through the Center for Agroecology & Sustainable Food Systems.
Under the direction of the training staff, apprentices manage the 25-acre
Farm and 2-acre Alan Chadwick Garden, learning to grow and care for a
variety of vegetables, fruits, herbs and flowers using organic methods.
Now in our 5th year, the CSA program offers 40 full and 40 half shares. We
mainly target the University community. All members pick up at the farm and
there's a self serve herb and flower garden for CSA members to use to
supplement their boxes.
With a combination of classes, guest lectures, field trips and hands on
practical training, apprentices gain the necessary skills to begin their
careers in farming. Since the program began in 1967 over 700 graduates have
gone on to start their own CSA farms, work in community gardens,
participate in overseas development projects , school gardens, on-farm
training programs, etc...
The Apprenticehip is part of UCSC's Center for Agroecology and Sustainable
Food Systems. Center staff and faculty work to research, develop and
advance sustainable food and agricultural systems which are environmentally
sound, economically viable, socially responsible, nonexploitative and which
serve as a foundation for future generations. Center staff conduct research
as well as offer an extensive public education program.
At present, the Apprenticeship program generates most of its own funding
through produce sales, apprentice tuition, and public events. To continue
and to expand its work, the Apprenticeship is seeking support from
foundations, businesses and individuals who share our commitment to working
toward a more sustainable agriculture.
For more information about the Apprenticeship, CSA, and the Center please
write or call:
	The Center for Agroecology & Sustainable Food Systems (CASFS)
	1156 High St.
	University of California
	Santa Cruz, CA 95064

	Apprenticeship tel (831) 459-4140
	CSA tel (831) 459-3336
	fax (831) 459-2799

	web page http://zzyx.ucsc.edu/casfs

Looking forward to sharing information!

Sincerely,

Nancy Vail

Nancy Vail and David Oretsky
CSA Coordinators
Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
(408)459-3336

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]