Subject: Seeds

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:32:55 -0500

Good point about not over-selecting, Dan. Near the center of where corn
(Zea mays) was originally selected from teosinte (Zea mexicana)
populations, Mexican farmers still let a few wild teosinte plants grow
among their corn, claiming that it invigorates the corn in succeeding
generations. And Gary Nabhan tells a wonderful story (Enduring Seeds?)
about watching an elderly Mexicana collect a few seeds for her next year's
crop from among each ear of corn, even the smaller or 'mis-shapen' ones.
She replied that to be too selective was disrespectful of this gift from
the gods, and that if this happened the corn would lose vigor and suffer in
later years. Corn populations, as it turns out, are especially-susceptible
to damage due to excessive narrowing of the genetic base by over-selection.

As far as obtaining seeds, the Seed Exchange is a membership organization
whose members offer their seeds directly, paying each other $1.50 per
sample. I'll send our seed list to any who ask, and then can give
directions for obtaining them. We have some really good, tough heirloom
corns, okras, cowpeas and other veggies, an heirloom cane sorghum, Mat Bean
(an interesting, low-growing Vigna (V. aconitifolia... Vigna is the cowpea,
mung bean genus) with good potential as a living mulch... about 321
varieties of veggie or native plant at present.

Another good idea would be for people to join the Permaculture Seed
Exchange (3020 Whiteoak Creek Road, Burnsville, NC 28714 USA; phone
(704)-675-5664; membership $7/year), and in the spring I should have most
of these low-input seeds offered through there. I'm trying to get the
drought-adapted Tahitian squash seed made available next spring, it's a
great producer and very low-care.

Jack