Subject: Re: Getting started...

From: [email-masked] (Bill Christensen)
Date: 13 Sep 1994 00:20:03 -0000

Hi Mike, and all. 

I find it best to add a piece at a time as you are comfortable and feel the
need.  

I've been learning about Permaculture for 6-8 years now, and i think it is a
continually evolving field.  Each of us can increase our web of knowledge
about the processes which surround us and our part in them for as long as
we're here.  

If you were to try to run off in the woods and go "totally permaculture", it
might not be right for you.  Then again it may, and you are the best one to
make that decision.  But i find that people who react to fads tend to
continue to react to the next fad and the next, whereas real learning is a
life process.  You can't change the world tomorrow, but incrementally you can
make a difference.  

A question like "are you living it or just integrating small pieces?" is
invalid.  Where do you draw a line like that?   Last I checked, Bill Mollison
was not, in my opinion, living a perfectly permacultural lifestyle.  (No
offence, Bill!  Neither am I.)  We all have areas that we can improve, more
small pieces to put in place.   We may not even realize that a particular
piece is out of place until we have finished arranging 20 others.  

That slow process of building your dream that you refer to will allow you to
adjust as you go, and create the closest thing to what your dream really is. 

The book is a great resource, but it's not a bible, as I think you're aware. 

In my own situation, I have been working on and living in an intentional
community for 12 years or so.  There are many positive aspects to this, but I
can see many aspects that could be more sustainable.  I've done a lot to use
the principles of permaculture in my own dealings with the building of the
community, and I'm happy about that.  I will continue to do so, wherever I
am.  

Margaret Mead once said "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;  indeed, it's the only thing that
ever has."

Bill Christensen
[email-masked]

  Sent via FirstClass (R) UUCP Gateway from InfiNet*
    an online community for progressive information
        Austin, Texas USA * BBS 512.301.2151

---

From: [email-masked] (Warwick Rowell)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 07:50:44 WST

>From: [email-masked] (Victor Guest)
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Getting started...
>
>>> I know there is an FAQ being worked on for a WEB server, as we are well
>>> down that track in Perth Western Australia.
>
>
>
>Sorry about omitting our WWW URL from the previous post. It is
>
>http://203.5.184.1/
>
>At the moment it provides general access info about EEPO people, and some
>information of interest to the agriculturally inclined.
>
>Regards,
>          Vic
>--
>Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                      Perth, Western Australia
>[email-masked]                         3 McKee Plce Kingsley. 6206
>                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 3092108
>--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:----

How about a copy on the email for us poor peasants who haven't got 
IP access? So we know what it says.

Wx
--
 _____________________________________________________________
|              [email-masked]               |
|                                                             |
|    Management Consultant      Permaculture Designer         |
|__"Helping Managers Learn"____"Helping Land Managers Learn"__|

---

From: [email-masked] (Victor Guest)
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 1994 06:35:10 WST

>
>On Fri, 7 Oct 1994, Victor Guest wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 07 Oct 1994 08:38:57 WST
>> From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
>> To: [email-masked],
>>     permaculture list <[email-masked]>
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Victor, can you tell us how we may subscribe to your permaculture
>mailing list in OZ?
>

Well up to date this is a closed list, and I have written to the list
to ask for permission to include you on the list.

A list server has been compiled and should be available for this job.

>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Hi I would like to break into this discussion, and ask if through this
>> mail list we might consider getting a news group organised. I may be out 
>> of order as my knowledge of the net is limited.
>
>I have thought about this myself and the newsgroup name:
>alt.agriculture.permaculture seems appropriate. If you or someone else 
>will write the statement of purpose for the group I'll have the newsgroup 
>formed here at my newssite.

My thoughts on this are that maybe we should take the agriculture out of
it so that it doesn't get tooo long.
I envision that we would have news groups which reflect the diversity of
permaculture. Also to help us define the FAQ's.

I see things MAYBE!!! developing along these lines.

alt.permaculture.aquaculture.
alt.permaculture.design
alt.permaculture.energy
alt.permaculture.small animals
alt.permaculture.biodegradables
alt.permaculture.marketing
alt.permaculture.herbs
alt.permaculture.dryland
alt.permaculture.literature
alt.permaculture.culture.Re-evaluation co-counselling
                        .Christian
                        .Aboriginal    
          \             .Ethnic
          [:-)>         .ETC.........
          /
Once again I have posted this to the Perma list for comment, discussion and
ratification.

>> I have seen postings by people who asked about a permaculture news group
>> and I couldn't tell them of one.
>alt.sustainable.agriculture is currently being used for that purpose; of 
>course, permaculture-related articles appear in sanet-mg, 
>alt.agriculture.misc, and elsewhere.
>
>I have a permaculture information Gopher here at sunSITE. I'd like to 
>archive your FAQ when it's completed. Several of us are working on one here 
>in the U.S.

We have offered to be part of compiling the FAQ's and to cache it here.
The webserver is up and running and an area for permaculture is being 
prepared with the Faq's being a part of that.

>> This will help cater for people who are in the GETTING STARTED field as 
>> well as a forum to network more Permaculture.
>
>It would be a big help in answering questions about permaculture that 
>arise on the net. The regular posting of FAQs would be an important part
>of educating the public.

We have a membership list of 726, with the new one ready to come out.
The numbers on E-mail is growing expotentially, and we expect to nab a heap
more at the AGM-community day-Christmas party, to be held at the Edith
Cowan University, on the 15th(16) of Nov.

Regards,
          Vic

---

From: [email-masked] (Victor Guest)
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 1994 07:25:42 WST

http://203.5.184.1/

Regards,
          Vic

---

From: [email-masked] (Warwick Rowell)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 07:50:44 WST

Wx

---

From: [email-masked] (Victor Guest)
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 1994 08:38:57 WST

>To: 

>about the processes which surround us and our part in them for as long as

I was working on sustainability on my farm, and on Permaculture since 
I left the farm, so some of my experiences are similar to you Bill.

I have had access to Internet for about 2 years.

I now also wish I had my grand parents to talk to about their experience
particularly during the depression, when the farm was almost a fully
contained unit.

I still have a memory of all of the smells and tastes.

Regards,
          Vic

---

From: [email-masked] (Victor Guest)
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 1994 06:35:10 WST

Regards,
          Vic

---

From: [email-masked] (Victor Guest)
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 1994 07:25:42 WST

http://203.5.184.1/

Regards,
          Vic

---

From: [email-masked] (Warwick Rowell)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 07:50:44 WST

Wx

---

From: [email-masked] (Warwick Rowell)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 07:50:44 WST

Wx