Subject: funding opportunity

From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Ackermann)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 09:05:59 -0500

Thought this might be of interest as an opportunity to promote
permaculture. It specifically mentions permaculture as one of the
"alternatives."

North Central Sustainable Agriculture Extension Prof Dev Consortium
 Sustainable Agriculture Professional Development Grants

Dr. G. W. Bird, Coordinator
Department of Entomology
243 Natural Science Building
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI  48824
Phone: (517)353-3890  Fax: (517)353-4354
E-mail: [email-masked]
Web Site: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/san/ncrsare/

ACTIVITIES SUPPORTED:         Provision of Training Programs
LAST REVIEWED:                10/28/97
ACADEMIC BACKGROUND REQUIRED: Not Specified in Sponsor Literature
CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED:         U.S. Citizens
AGENCY TYPE:                  Other
DEADLINES ANNOUNCED:          02/14/98

The North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
Professional Development Program (NCR SARE PDP) is seeking proposals for
professional development initiatives in sustainable agriculture. Projects
should focus on professional development for Cooperative Extension System
(CES), Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), and other
appropriate agency and private sector personnel within the region, in the
concepts, systems, and practices of sustainable agriculture. Successful
projects will be part of the NCR SARE PDP. Priority project categories
are: alternative farming system projects (e.g. grazing, organic, HRM,
permaculture); socio-economic and quality of life education-based
activities; and consumer education. Projects can include educational
activities that will take place on commercial farms, workshops, or
conferences: including use of satellite or other interactive TV
technologies; development of materials and fact sheets, handbooks and
manuals, videos, ect.; or innovative combinations of these or other
activities. Projects having a scope beyond a single state are encouraged.
Projects that involve farmers-ranchers as meaningful participants
(instructors or providers of information, reviewers of materials, etc.)
are also strongly encouraged; as are those that foster partnerships
between public and private sector not-for-profit organizations,
sustainable agriculture associations, and efforts between 1862 and 1890
institutions. The proposed outcome of professional development projects
must include participants that are knowledgeable in sustainable
agriculture and capable of conducting adult education programs at state
and local levels. It is anticipated that most training initiative can be
undertaken as one-year projects. Two-year proposals, however, will be
considered.

*******************************************************************
Liz Ackermann
Program Support Technician (WebWeaver)
Program Development Office, Research and Graduate Studies
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
[email-masked]         Phone: (540) 231-2455

---

From: Andrew Erb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:38:33 -0600 (CST)

Yes this (see original message below) does seem like a good opportunity 
to promote permaculture.  Is there anyone who is allready teaching 
permacultue that would like to participate (lead a discussion or specific 
workshop)?  A prposal could be written to provide 
permaculture/sustainable ag. education to cooperative extensions and 
other interested parties (nation or world wide) via video conferencing.  
I'm at Lincoln University in Jefferson City, Missouri, there is a video 
conferencing center here, as well as at the University of Missouri, in 
Columbia and several other sites throughout the state.  I do not 
personally have the expertise to teach, but would be glad to help set up 
a multiple site video conference.  

Andrew Erb [email-masked]  (573) 681-5530

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 19:09:42 -0500 (EST)

It looks like the candidate would need to live in the target region--no?
 Otherwise, I might be interested.

Dan Hemenway

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 07:09:45 -0500 (EST)

Yes.  The South East SARE program just completed a round of funding that
describes the permaculture design process (not by name) as the purpose of an
entire round of funding.  We have a proposal in as we have not yet documented
our design.  (Blush with embarassment.)

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email.  Next live training:  Paraguay, Sept. 1998. Internships
available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL
32192 USA  [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.