Subject: Re: Antidisestablishmentarianism?

From: Loren Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:49:37 -0800

At 12:59 PM 10/27/97 -0500, Jack Rowe wrote:

>My ancient dictionary defines anarchy as the "total absence of government
>and law" [as the word's roots suggest] and goes on to editorialize "hence,
>disorder in any sphere of activity"... 

This sounds to me like the current definition of "chaos" or "entropy".
However, recent discoveries in chaos theory have shown that there is indeed
order within disorder, and vice versa, and interesting patterns in
both...patterns that I believe we as designers may be able to incorporate
into our design philosophies.

On a social and personal scale, I've observed fractal patterning between the
scales of an individual personality, with its sub-personalities, and a group
of humans with its individual personalities.  There are several schools of
therapy (Alchemical Hypnotherapy, for one), which encourage communication
among one's sub-personalities as a means of assisting the individual to
become better functional and healthy.  Moving outward one scale, designing
systems that encourage interaction/communication between individuals,
possibly in ritual/archetypal contexts as well as social/functional ones,
may assist the grouping (family, village, bioregional association) to be
functional and healthy.

Just my .02 LETS credits...

Loren
--
Loren Davidson      
[email-masked]         http://www.batnet.com/beauty/
"In the Army, they give you a medal for spraying NAPALM on people.
In civilian life, they'll throw you in jail for giving someone an orgasm..."
				-George Carlin on Prostitution