Subject: Fwd: Organic Political Action Now

From: "Akiva Werbalowsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:25:42 PDT

It's now time to be clear with our legal representatives that the term 
"organic" doesn't include irradiation or genetic engineering. Please 
forward this message as much as you care.

All good,
A

----------
From: Natl. Campaign for Sustainable Agriculture 
<[email-masked]>
To: Recipient list suppressed
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 1998 2:40 AM

NATIONAL CAMPAIGN FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE

P.O. Box 396, Pine Bush, NY  12566, (914) 744-8448, Fax: (914) 744-8477;
email: [email-masked]
April 13, 1998

****MORE ACTION NEEDED****
****ON THE PROPOSED ORGANIC RULE****

TELL YOUR  SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE 
TO SIGN ON TO  THE  LETTER TO 
USDA SECRETARY DAN GLICKMAN

Letters are being circulated in both houses of Congress to send to
Secretary of Agriculture Dan Glickman regarding the Proposed Organic 
Rule.
Both letters express concern about  the Proposed Rule as written,  ask
Glickman to re- examine the Rule, return to the recommendations of the
National Organic Standards Board, and abide by the authority of the NOSB
granted by Congress in the Organic Foods Production Act of 1990.   They
also briefly address the "Big Three,"  noting that organic products 
should
be produced free of genetic engineering, biosolids, and ionizing 
radiation.
 It is important that there are large numbers of Members signing each of
these letters -- make sure yours are included.

LET YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT ORGANIC --
CALL YOUR  CONGRESS MEMBER TODAY!  

CALL THE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD AT 202-224-3121 -- Ask for your Senators' 
and
Representative's office  -- leave the message:

SENATE:  Sign on to the Leahy/Jeffords Letter to Glickman on the 
Proposed
Organic Rule

HOUSE:  Sign on to the DeFazio/Metcalf Letter to Glickman on the 
Proposed
Organic Rule

OR CALL YOUR SENATOR OR REPRESENTATIVE AT THEIR DISTRICT OFFICE WHILE 
THEY
ARE ON EASTER BREAK  (UNTIL APRIL 19)

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT SIGN-ONS COME IN NOW!

This is one step in an ongoing process to Change the Rule.   There will 
be
other steps along the way --  if you are not on our Action Alert List,
please call or email us with your address, phone, fax, and email
information. 

Your comments to the Proposed Rule are still needed.  There is still 
plenty
of time before April 30 to make substantive comments.  If you need more
information, contact this office or visit the following web sites:
www.hawiaa.org, www.ucsusa.org, www.rafiusa.org, www.ccof.org,
www.iquest.net/ofma, www.pmac.net, www.saveorganic.org,
www.ticketplease.com/safefood

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com