Subject: Guilds and goats

From: Don May <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 01:59:13

Aloha all,

As far as guilds are concerned, I would not limit my thinking to building
guilds with only companion planting, although that's a good start. I think
of guilds in terms of any species (plants, insects, birds) that can be
placed together as to promote a mutually beneficial relationship.

As for Goats, we have one and he does a great job of working where we want
him to work ( I hope he doesn't get wind of this). He is on a chain with a
padded collar. The chain is staked to the ground with a two foot long
spike. He also has a movable shed and water bucket. The length of the chain
can be as long or as short as we like.He has only ben here at La'akea
Permaculture Gardens for a month or so, but the man who brough him here has
been working with this goat for a couple of years. So far so good

Right now he is working in a large field that we are preparing to plant
into a diversified fruit orchard. Eventually I plan to move him into the
forest to start working on all the weeds so we can replant with native
species. To do this I am planning on running a cable between two trees and
putting the goat on a runner so he can work the area between those trees. 
I'll keep you posted

Don May
La'akea Permaculture Gardens
Big Island, HI.