Subject: Re: Actions you can take to help preserve Wilderness

From: eric + michiko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:49:47 -0700

I have recieved a couple different notices about this and thought it was
important enough to send.  It doesn't take long to make yourself heard,
especially from the website at the Wilderness Society (link below).  July
26th is the deadline, so please take a moment.  Thanks!

Eric:

<excerpt>***************************************************** 

PROPOSAL WOULD DOUBLE LOGGING IN 3 NATIONAL FORESTS 

The U.S. Forest Service has proposed a logging plan in three national 

forests in California's northern Sierra Nevada that would increase
logging 

by 157%. The Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the Quincy 

Library Group plan also admits that the "Proposed Preferred Alternative" 

could harm spotted owls and other sensitive wildlife, and would require
100 

miles of new roads and reconstruction of *1000* miles of roads.

We need your help to convince the Forest Service to adopt a different
plan 

-- ALTERNATIVE FIVE, which would adequately protect old growth forests, 

wildlife, rivers and streams, and the overall environment of the area
which 

is key to the health of the regional economy. Alternative FIVE is the
only 

plan that implements the new direction for the Forest Service charted by 

its Chief, Mike Dombeck.

Send your comments By July 26th to the Forest Service via email from 

<underline><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><<http://www.wilderness.org/ccc/california/quincyproposal.htm>http://www.wilderness.org/ccc/california/quincyproposal.htm</color></underline>
or see below 

for more details.

BACKGROUND 

Despite opposition of more than 140 conservation groups, the Quincy plan 

was approved by Congress last November after being attached to the huge 

appropriations bill in the final minutes of the last congressional session. 

The Quincy plan will change forest management on the Plumas, Lassen, and 

part of the Tahoe National Forests - 2.5 million acres of public land, an 

area larger than the state of Rhode Island.

TAKE ACTION 

The Forest Service is accepting comments on the DEIS through July 26th. To 

send an email or for more information, go to 

<underline><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><<http://www.wilderness.org/ccc/california/quincyproposal.htm>http://www.wilderness.org/ccc/california/quincyproposal.htm</color></underline>, or use the 

addresses below. Points to include in your letter or email:

Please urge the Forest Service to adopt ALTERNATIVE FIVE for the Quincy 

Pilot Project DEIS. Specifically, the Forest Service should adopt a plan 

that: 

1. Protects wildlife like spotted owls and all their old-growth forest 

habitat; 

2. Fully protects streamside areas as outlined in the Sierra Nevada 

Ecosystem Project (SNEP) report; 

3. Protects all roadless areas 1000 acres and larger; 

4. Minimizes intensive logging practices, which even the DEIS predicts 

would harm wildlife and streams; 

5. Increases use of prescribed fire to reduce wildlife threat; 

6. Is consistent with the pending Sierra-wide National Forest planning 

process; and 

7. Implements the new direction for the Forest Service charted by Chief 

Dombeck.

Send your comments to:

David Peters, Project Manager 

Herger-Feinstein Quincy Library Group Forest Recovery Act Pilot Project 

USDA Forest Service 

P.O. Box 11500, Quincy, CA 95971 

E-mail: fract/[email-masked]

Please send a copy of your letter to:

Michael Dombeck, Chief, USDA Forest Service 

14th St. & Independence Ave., SW, Wash., DC 20250 

E-mail: Mike.Dombeck/[email-masked]

THANKS FOR TAKING ACTION TODAY!

For more information about the Quincy plan or the Sierra-wide forest 

planning efforts, or for a free copy of The Wilderness Society's Citizens' 

Guide to the SNEP report, contact Louis Blumberg ([email-masked]) 

or Jay Watson ([email-masked]) at the California office of The Wilderness 

Society, 415-561-6641.

*************************************************************** 

An archive of past WildAlerts can be found at 

<underline><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param><<http://www.wilderness.org/wildalert/wildalerts.htm>http://www.wilderness.org/wildalert/wildalerts.htm

</color></underline>*************************************************************** 

WildAlert is an email action alert system brought to you by The Wilderness 

Society to keep you apprised of threats to our wildlands -- in the field 

and in Washington. WildAlert messages include updates along with clear, 

concise actions you can take to protect America's last wild places. You 

are welcome to forward WildAlerts to all those interested in saving 

America's wildlands.

FEEDBACK: Please send your comments to <<[email-masked]>. If you simply hit 

"reply" to this message, please include your email address in the body of 

the message.

TO SUBSCRIBE: If you have been forwarded this message and would like to 

subscribe to the list, send the following message to 

<<[email-masked]>: "subscribe wilderness-alert" (inserted in the 

body of the message, without quotes).

TO UNSUBSCRIBE: If you wish to be removed from this list, see the 

instructions at the end of this message.

Founded in 1935, The Wilderness Society works to protect America's 

wilderness and to develop a nation-wide network of wild lands through 

public education, scientific analysis and advocacy. Our goal is to ensure 

that future generations will enjoy the clean air and water, wildlife, 

beauty and opportunities for recreation and renewal that pristine forests, 

rivers, deserts and mountains provide. To take action on behalf of 

wildlands today, visit our website at <<http://www.wilderness.org/><underline><color><param>0000,0000,ffff</param>http://www.wilderness.org</color></underline> 

***************************************************************

</excerpt>

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Claude Genest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:54:47 -0400

Just wanted to thank you Eric and Michiko, for your many contributions to this group.
:-)

Claude in Vermont
    -----Original Message-----
    From: eric + michiko <[email-masked]>
    To: permaculture <[email-masked]>
    Date: Monday, July 19, 1999 11:50 AM
    Subject: Re: Actions you can take to help preserve Wilderness

    I have recieved a couple different notices about this and thought it was important enough to send. It doesn't take long to make yourself heard, especially from the website at the Wilderness Society (link below). July 26th is the deadline, so please take a moment. Thanks!
    
    Eric:

        ***************************************************** 
        forests in California's northern Sierra Nevada that would increase logging 
        could harm spotted owls and other sensitive wildlife, and would require 100 
        We need your help to convince the Forest Service to adopt a different plan 
        wildlife, rivers and streams, and the overall environment of the area which 
        is key to the health of the regional economy. Alternative FIVE is the only 
        <http://www.wilderness.org/ccc/california/quincyproposal.htm>http://www.wilderness.org/ccc/california/quincyproposal.htm or see below 
        <http://www.wilderness.org/ccc/california/quincyproposal.htm>http://www.wilderness.org/ccc/california/quincyproposal.htm, or use the 
        <http://www.wilderness.org/wildalert/wildalerts.htm>http://www.wilderness.org/wildalert/wildalerts.htm
        FEEDBACK: Please send your comments to <[email-masked]>. If you simply hit 
        <[email-masked]>: "subscribe wilderness-alert" (inserted in the 
        wildlands today, visit our website at <http://www.wilderness.org/>http://www.wilderness.org 

    --- You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked] To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 06:44:00 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/99 11:50:38 AM, [email-masked] writes:

<<I have recieved a couple different notices about this and thought it was
important enough to send.  It doesn't take long to make yourself heard,
especially from the website at the Wilderness Society (link below).  July
26th is the deadline, so please take a moment.  Thanks!>>

Hi Eric...thanks for making me aware of this...I have sent in a letter  via 
WWF urging Alternative 5.    Frank

---