Subject: Re: one-duck revolution (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 01:46:05 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:22:40 -0700
From: Beth Lischeron <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: one-duck revolution (fwd)

This is great! I am so pleased to hear of more 'perma' methods being taken
up (and in this case initiated by) Japanese farmers - and give myself a
teensy tiny gold star for tiny seeds I may have helped to plant, although I
must defer to  friends - one in particular, Tracey Lauriault, who actually
was the first person to introduce Permaculture to Japanese people in the
little village we lived in (she a decade ago, me later) - from which has
grown quite a strong movement - I organized a weekend 'hands-on perma'
workshop there (in Fujino) with my then partner, a Scottish Perm.
Designer... and the turnout was tremendous!

But re: the ducks, I recall seeing this a a very long-standing tradition of
integrated rice management in Bali -  the book 'Man on Earth' by John Reader
has a chapter on this, and its integration with the intricately balanced
Balinese religious system(s) - as well as thei water management strategies -
a very fine book, which I wanted to mention when this topic came up a few
weeks ago but didn't have a chance to!

salamat pagee! (as the Balinese people call out to each other across the
fields on misty humid mornings... sigh... greetings to you all!

Beth

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: John Schinnerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:26:25 -0700

Aloha,

The Lundberg brothers' rice farms in N. CA central valley use some of these
methods as well - they don't keep the ducks on-site, but they leave their
stubble in the fields in the fall, flood them a bit and then the migrating
ducks come to the temporary wetlands and feed on the "waste grain," insects,
etc. on their way south, fertilize the fields and help trample the stubble
into the muck where it decomposes more than it would otherwise. 

John Schinnerer

---