Subject: Toxics in Urban Soils

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 23:27:15 EST

I don't think it's responsible to encourage urban growing without considering
this and being able to tell people how to assess their soil.

I am interested in:

1)  Specifically, info about how much of a risk are lead (paint flaking over
decades),  copper (from roof & downspouting), termite treatments that may have
been done near dwellings (Dursban, etc...) & the mixture of contaminants (&
what are the dangerous ones) from surface runoff from paved areas in areas
with lots of car use for the last century?

2) AND how to treat the above.

3) AND what cropping can be done safely during treatment or without treatment?

4)  Contact info & recommendations of providers of reasonably priced soil
testing which will cover all contaminants that could be of concern (what's bad
& likely to be there or so bad it's better to check anyway).

5)  Input as to what those contaminants are (defines a list, discussions about
where they are likely) and/ or references which treat this subject.

~~Sherry

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 11:16:26 -0500 (EST)

http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]

> where they are likely) and/ or references which treat this subject.

I have begun a collection of assorted information on the above topics.
It resides primarily at this location; more information may
be found in nearby directories.

http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/orgfarm/bioremediation

You should find a lot of what you need there, particularly lists
and email & mail references, some toxic soil bioremediation
methods.

Lawrence

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 11:16:26 -0500 (EST)

Lawrence