Subject: pattern integrity (B. Fuller) + permaculture patters

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:12:17 -0500

Neat question, Lawrence!

"Would there be any links between Buckminster Fuller's concept of "pattern
integrity" and permaculture patterns?"...

Quantum physics tells us that there are links between ANY and ALL 'two
things'... in fact, it tells us that -- at least on a
quantum-field/god/implicate-order level -- any two things are actually ONE
thing, imcompletely percieved. Ok, so the sages have been telling us this
for millenia... why not give credit where credit is due?

SURE, "observed permaculture patterns should be catalogued along with
permaculture guilds information" (are we cataloguing either of these two
things yet?). Patterns (or 'ruts', as the most commonly-practiced are
called) are powerful and can be overall-constructive or
overall-destructive. Construction and destruction are not inherent in the
patterns, but arise in a context (Life, say, or -- in other words -- OTHER
patterns). Pattern resonances are harmonious or discordant in their major
keys (according to us), they are (always) BOTH in their myriad minor keys
(the more viewpoints included, the more minor keys). The actual total
number of major and minor resonances together is always, of course,
'infinity'.

Letting Life-harmonious patterns become a fundamental part of our vision
requires a major paradigm shift... hence all the moaning and groaning. It
makes excellent sense to consciously recognize, and share, and talk about
the living patterns we see, because paradigm shifts involve changing
powerful prejudicial patterns (the aforementioned 'ruts' as established on
mental, emotional, spiritual, physical, spatial, temporal, automotive and
other planes). The more we rehearse the new realities we'd like to see
adopted into consensus, the faster these new patterns will become 'real'. 

Plus we increase our chances of practicing 'right livelihood' AND eating,
all during the same period of time. Cool idea, I like it.

Jack Rowe

Don't just 'Question Reality'... poke it in the eye.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:13:45 -0800 (PST)

At 09:09 PM 3/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
>On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> SO the 'rutted' patterns Jack speaks of fall away in favor of  a new
>> patterning based on following the newly awakening energy flows. 
>> 
>> The natural patterns can be arranged in any number of ways.
>> We are designer of our own pattern.
>> Observing the natural patterns and learning from them their own specific
>> frequency..much will be understood.
>> Restore the original pattern.
>> Original state.
>> Ponder what that is and the energy of that will lead you.
>
>Very nice. This seems true. Meditate while working (or walking).
>Ponder the imponderable. Explore the mysteries of nature, the 
>unfolding realms of interconnectedness in living systems.
>
>The life cycle or sum total of, say, a plant could be viewed as a
>gradient, from what is visible to what is "invisible" as it proceeds from
>birth to death. The "invisible" merges into a "pool" of life-giving
>and life-sustaining substance; the light we see from a far away star
>that ceased to exist long before we came to be.

Yes..exactly!
You are that star...

Another expansion on this... see that "birth of the visible" and "death into
the invisible" can be turned around.
Our birth comes from the invisible...
our original birth into form from the formless
flowed from the Creative Source, pure Essential energy,
in the Original pattern, 
through patterns..
In Life, right now, we can restore the Original pattern of our birth (or
creation ) and 
merge the invisible and the visible to bring Spirit into Form
thereby meshing Both fully,
owning more of our full birthright and restoring Vital Life Force energy to
Life.
Heaven on Earth. (!!!?)
Systems thriving on this Vitality, will flourish.
All unlike it will fall away.
As we learn the Original patterns and become them within ourselves 
All we create aligns with them and sustainablity is fully supported.
Creative Source is certainly sustainable!

The patterns speak through nature
their own language that we need to tune to perceive
through a whole new way of receiving.

Thanks for the opening to these fundamental ideas towards understanding the
relevance of patterns at this time.

Vinca/Vicki

---

From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 18:06:08 -0800

Can't say I understand much of what you're on about, but i would like to
post a few patterns I've noticed.

Leaf disease or aging often looks very similar to the fruit (and acts as  a
camouflage).. I guess this is a reflection of the basic pattern for that
species expressing itself.

I'm interested in a bit more info on the yin yang symbol... I don't really
know anything about it but intuitively I feel it represents that there are
always two sides to everything (but that each half is also partly the
other).  That there are two sides to every argument, and that neither side
is correct (that no-one is ever totally correct).  

I guess another basic pattern I see relates to health (plant or animal)...
that health derives from a mixture of things...
stress-love
mind (unique to humans)
nutrition (clean air, water, food)
physical (exposure to the germ)
genetics

Those that are loved (even if it's by pets) are sick less often.
Many claim that up to 99% of illness is psychosomatic, or can be helped by
mental techniques
Genetics is being blamed for everything today from alchoholism to
homosexuality... yet it's only a small part of the truth  (and can change
within 4 generations with seed saving in plants.. what about humans?)

That having a good balance of all of the above is the best assurity of
health, but that excellence in any of the above can give health, even when
the other elements are out of whack.

It surprises me that something so obvious seems to be missed by the medical
profession and many alternative healers too!!

Best wishes to all.
Rene and Lorraine van Raders
The Green Piece Permaculture Garden
PO Box 389
Malanda, Beautiful Far North Queensland
4885 Australia
Int.  61 740 965138
Australia 07 40 965138
email  [email-masked]
"If enough people knock there heads against a brick wall it will fall
down."
Ashleigh Brilliant

---

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 12:03:41 -0500

Yin-Yang does represent interaction of polarities, as the two sides pulsing
around a center, and also in the facet of each side always containing
elements of the other, even at its 'purest'.

To me, the Yin-Yang symbol's greater significance lies in its visual
transcendence of the "2", or polarity... taken as a whole it represents the
third level of energetic interaction -- synthesis, 'BOTH', 'AND'. The dot
in the center of each polarity transcends the either/or attitude on a level
of manifest reality, and the inseparable combination of both polarities in
the circle or 'Medicine Wheel' itself transcends polarity on a level of
implicate order or that which 'underlies' reality (god, the quantum field,
the 'void'). By transcending 'either-or', we raise ourselves to a much
higher level of perception and observational depth, useful in permaculture
as well as in living with other humans/animals -- and ourselves, natch'.

Another representation of the Yin-Yang useful to permaculture -- and in
dealing with personal acceptance of the creative cycle of initiation,
growth, maturation, reseeding, assimilation and gestation -- is the
inescpability of the pulsing nature of 'reality'. Our attempts to avoid the
'darker side' of the circle (which can feel like 'chaos', 'depression', or
'permanent' loss of focus) have driven us to the addictive behaviors which
have brought our Earth to its present state of beginning to reject its
human tissue. And the pulsations of Nature are where we observe where we
enter in order to harvest the forces prevailing at any one time ("Cycles
are opportunities in Time", Mollison or someone). 

Once I drew a visually-near-perfect Yin-Yang in the dust on the back window
of my car (a time in my life when I really needed the reminder). Got a lot
of comments on how round it was, always explained it was 'just meant to be
there'. Sister-in-law asked if I'd used a 'pattern' to draw it, I said
"Yeah, 5,000 years old". Finally got stopped by a couple 'good ole boy'
cops who made me erase it (my motto: 'don't argue with armed rednecks' --
hey, it's kept me from getting shot at this long). Oh, well -- it comes and
goes. 

Jack