Subject: more tropical plants in our garden

From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:38:19 -0700

Bombacaceae

Ceiba pentandra (Kapok)  in pot still, from seed collected in Sri Lanka
No durian or breadfruit... they're coastal
Pachira aquatica (Guinea chestnut)... growing ok, one flowered last yr, but
get knocked back each year, nut raw (like peanut) or cooked (like
chestnut).  Young leaves and flowers used as vegetable.
Pachira insignis... could have been incorrectly labelled by nursery as it
looks identical.. will wait to see the flower and nut.

Boraginaceae

Borago officinalis (Borage)... grows ok but not self seeding successfully. 
Leaves and flowers edible.
Symphytum officinale (Comfrey)... now firmly established (likes watering
during the dry but survives ok).. not as strong as when grown in temperate
areas; leaves and roots edible.

Brassicaeceae

Armoracia rusticana (Horseradish)... growing well in zone 1 pathway areas;
leaves and roots edible.
Barbarea verna (American upland cress)... have killed twice now.
Brassica spp 	(Mustard cabbage)... very tough, flavour pretty strong though
		(Kale)... survived ok, but pretty small - doesn't seed
		(Mustard)... nice crop of seed
		(Cabbage, Brocolli, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi).. ok in winter - don't seed
		(Pak Choi)... grows very nicely
		(Turnip, Swede)... not too successful, but some crop during winter - no
seed
		(Wong bok)... this large hearting chinese cabbage has proved difficult to
grow 		successfully to date.
		(Brussel Sprouts).. grows but no sprouts
		(Various Chinese species and varieties)... some successes, some hopeless,
flowers 		good in salads.
Cardamine hirsuta (common bittercress)... weed in nursery and zone 1
Eruca sativa (Rocket).. grows well, tastes great
Lepidium sp (Peppercresses)...edible weed
Nasturtium officinale (watercress)... died.. likes/needs running water...
have had it struggling away for over a year, but not worth the effort.
Raphanus sativus (Radishes).. self seed, but no tubers (edible flowers)..
have grown daikon successfully.

Bromeliaceae

Ananas comosus (pineapple).. have grown many from tops.. so far fruit is
usually fairly small.
?  Some very sharp perennial pineapple.. not much good to eat but a very
beautiful fruit.

Buddleiaceae

Buddleia ?  butterfly attracting... grows well... used for tea?

Cheers Rene