Subject: South Coast Permaculture Guild News 3.98

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 22:35:49 -0500 (EST)

South Coast Permaculture Guild News - March '98

_ Southern California region of Ventura - Santa Barbara - San Luis Obispo _

for event listings please contact Wes Rowe 805.964.1555 <[email-masked]>
or Eric Werbalowsky 805.652.1142 <[email-masked]>

Sat. March 28 
Permaculture Open House and Solar Music Festival at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Student Organic Farm, Noon to 6 pm: Lectures on permaculture topics by
upcoming course instructors. From 6 pm 'til late: Organic dinner and fiesta.
Help make this a great event, contact Akiva Werbalowsky  805.756.5086
<[email-masked]>

Sun. March 29 
Introduction to Permaculture, Beginning of Cal Poly SLO extension
permaculture design course continuing over 10 consecutive Sundays, 9 am - 3
pm at Student Organic Farm. Many special guest presenters. To register for
the limited course spaces, please contact Cal Poly Extended Education at
805.756.2053. For a course overview contact Akiva Werbalowsky  805.756.5086
<[email-masked]>. To access the Central Coast permaculture listserve,
send a message to <[email-masked]> with the message in the
body "subscribe ccpg".

Sat. April 4 
Permaculture site investigation: Developing a Food Forest in Summerland, 9 am
to 5 pm at Deborah Boyer and Ano's home, 310 Asegia Rd., Summerland. Contact
Ano 805.565.1979 or Wes Roe 805.964.1555. Practice developing and
understanding site designs, get more hands.on experience with a group.

Fri. April 10 
Lecture and slide show: Permaculture and Sustainable Design by Penny
Livingston, 7:30 pm at Santa Barbara Botanic Garden Library, 1212 Mission
Canyon Road, Santa Barbara. Suggested donation $3

Sat./Sun. April 11-12
Two-day workshop: Introduction to Permaculture with Penny Livingston at
Community Environment Council's Gildea Resource Center, 930 Miramonte Drive,
Santa Barbara. Sat. 9 am - 4:30 pm, Sun. 10 am - 4:30 am. This course is for
people who want a short solid intro to permaculture. It will cover the basics
of permaculture design, water catchment, patterns and soil building for large
and small, rural or urban sites. Along with slides and lecture there will be
hands-on projects of building an herb spiral and using A frames to lay out
contours for swales. Bring your own lunch and mug, drinks provided. Cost is
$60, for information and registration call Margie Bushman 805.962.2571 or
e-mail Wes Roe <[email-masked]>. 

Sun April 19 
Santa Barbara Earth Day Celebration downtown De la Guerra Plaza. We have
reserved a booth for our South Coast perma guild. Come staff the event and
help spread the word. If you have perma materials to distribute, place it on
our table. This is a great opportunity to further expand local interest in
permaculture, our activities and local courses. Please contact Margie Bushman
805.962.2571 or Wes Roe <[email-masked]>.

Fri. June 12 
Lecture and slide show: Permaculture by Larry Santoyo. Location tbd, cost
tbd. 

Sat./Sun. June 13-14 
Two-day workshop: Visioning a Permaculture Site with Larry Santoyo.  Noted
permaculturist Larry Santoyo will lead us to understand nature's patterns and
how to connect with them. We will evaluate as many as 5 design sites in our
area help us identify sites for the course to visit, all sizes needed..
Locations tbd, cost tbd. Contacts are Margie Bushman and Wes Roe.

June 21-July 4 
Two-week residential Permaculture Design Course featuring Larry Santoyo and
senior instructors from throughout the West. Cal Poly SLO campus. The course
begins and ends with Summer Solstice celebrations. This is a great
opportunity to live and learn permaculture in a temporary village where all
meals and services are developed with permaculture practices in mind. Contact
Akiva Werbalowsky  805. 756.5086 <[email-masked]>

Summer tbd 
Two-day Permaculture Teachers Course with Bill Roley. This is hands-on
training for anyone who wants to teach permaculture. Work will focus on
theory, curriculum development and creating a design toolkit. A teacher's
guide will be available for the course. Please let Wes and Bill know your
interest. Contact <[email-masked]>

Fall tbd
Permaculture Course Reunion at the Ojai Foundation. Margie Bushman is
wondering if any one else is interested in having a permaculture course
reunion. Contact her to get this going.

Guild member news 

Architect Jim Bell  805. 965.7576 <[email-masked]> has three projects with
other guild members. He is designing straw bale construction for Gloriana,Tim
and Todd Buynak's cottage in SB. Jim is also working to enhance the garden
plots at Santa Barbara Juvenile Hall on Wednesday and Saturdays. He would
welcome any garden related help.

Matt Buckmaster  805.687.3559 and Jan Vucinich recently bought land in Goleta
with a barn on it. Jim Bell is designing their house to use locally available
materials. They are seeking recycled/salvaged materials for building or
trade. Recent score: materials from the expanded SB Art Museum.

Dave Pinkham, 209. 604.2986, <[email-masked]> is working on a
intensive garden site and is planning a 40 acre olive grove and an eggmobile
to follow grazing herd around.

Regional folks, send us a few lines describing what y'all are up to. That's
all for now.