Subject: [permaculture] Green Jobs In April 1999

From: Gary Gallon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:27:32 -0300

THE GALLON ENVIRONMENT LETTER              
            Canadian Institute for Business and the Environment
                    506 Victoria Ave., Montreal, Quebec
        Ph. (514) 369- 0230, fax (514) 369- 3282, Email [email-masked]
                                Vol. 2, No. 5
                              April 12, 1999

******************************************************************
              CANADA    CANADA   CANADA    CANADA    
******************************************************************

GREEN JOBS AVAILABLE IN APRIL 1999

PEMBINA INSTITUTE WANTS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

The Pembina Institute based in Drayton Valley, Alberta, is one 
of Canada’s top rated energy and environment organizations. It 
is seeking to hire an Executive Director. Founded in 1985, the 
Pembina Institute is committed to protecting the environment 
and to developing environmentally sound solutions. The Pembina 
Institute's with a staff of thirty has a branch office in Ottawa
The Executive Director will guide ongoing strategic planning 
and ensure effective program implementation; · provide effective 
coordination and communications between the Institute's
program areas; and oversee management of financial and 
administrative services. The successful candidate will have
at least three years in a senior management position with proven 
leadership and success in environmental or related public interest 
fields. Deadline for application is April 26, 1999. Send application 
to Wally Heinrichs, President, Pembina Institute, Box 7558, 
Drayton Valley, Alberta, fax (780) 542- 6464, 
Website <http://www.pembina.org/>http://www.pembina.org

*************************************************************

EEM INC., MONTREAL WANTS EMS EXPERT

ÉEM inc. is a management consulting firm specializing
in environmental management systems (EMS) implementation 
and risk management for its largely industrial client base in 
Quebec.  To help us maintain top-notch consulting services, we are 
looking for professionals with 3-5 years experience, good knowledge 
of EMS and ISO 14001, who understand the constraints of 
implementing projects within a corporate context, who function 
well in diverse industrial and linguistic situations and who value their 
own work environment.  Please inquire, or send resumés in confidence
to Paul MacLean, Président, ÉEM inc., 3782 av. Draper, Montréal 
(Québec) H4A 2P, ph. (514) 481- 3401, fax (514) 481- 4679 
email [email-masked]
******************************************************************

ALBERTA UNIVERSITY WANTS ENVIRONMENTAL SOCIOLOGIST

University of Alberta. Environmental, Resource or Forest Sociology.
The Department of Rural Economy and the Department of Renewable
Resources, Faculty of Agriculture, Forestry and Home Economics invites
applications for one tenure-track faculty position at the assistant
professor level Environmental/Resource Sociologist Position. The
appointee is expected to develop a nationally-recognized program
of research that addresses issues of environmental or resource
sociology related to forestry, agriculture or related industries; 
to teach courses in environmental or resource sociology related to 
forestry, agriculture and associated industries; and to show leadership 
in engaging in public service activities with industry and government.
Some research focus on international or First Nations issues would be 
an asset. The salary range for this position is Cdn $42,054-$59,526 per 
year. Priority  will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents 
of Canada. The successful candidate will have a PhD in Sociology or 
Rural Sociology, with evidence of experience and expertise in 
environmental, resource or forest sociology. Deadline for application is 
May 1, 1999. Send a letter of application, including a statement of 
research and teaching interests, curriculum vitae, and the names of three 
referees to Michele Veeman,  Chair, Department of Rural Economy,
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H1, Website
http://www.afhe.ualberta.ca.

******************************************************************

DUKE ENGINEERING, TORONTO WANTS 
ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEER

Duke Engineering & Services (Canada), Inc., Markham, Ontario
wishes to hire an environmental engineer. The company provides
a full range of environemntal consulting service, specializing in
environmental site assessments and remediation. It is seeking a 
registered engineer with 5 to 10 years experience in the 
environmental field to manage projects, prepare proposals, liaise 
with clients, develop new business, and mentor junior staff. She or 
he mus have excellent technical skills, experience in project 
management and remediation system design, and be an excellent 
communicator. Submit application to DE&S Human Resources, 
3075 15th Ave., Suite 207, Markham, Ontario L3R 0G9
Source, Globe and Mail.

*******************************************************************

VSO WANTS CANADIANS TO WORK ON ENVIRONMENT
OVERSEAS

Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) is seeking professionals in
a number of areas including marine biology, water engineering,
environment, and sustainable forestry management to work in 
countries outside Canada. Contact VSO Canada, 151 Slater St.,
Ottawa, Ontario, Ph. (613) 234- 1364, fax (613) 234-1444,
toll free 1 888- 876- 2911, email [email-masked]
website http://www.magi.com/~vsocan/

********************************************************************
      INTERNATIONAL   INTERNATIONAL   INTERNATIONAL
********************************************************************

NAFTA ENVIRONMENT COMMISSION WANTS POLLUTION 
DIRECTOR IN MONTREAL

The Secretariat of the NAFTA Commission for Environmental 
Cooperation (CEC), headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, Canada 
is seeking to hire a Program Manager for North American 
Cooperation on Pollutants. The applicant can be from any one of
the three NAFTA countries, Canada, the United States, or Mexico. 
The successful applicant will be expected to coordinate tri national 
efforts to enhance the comparability, quality and dissemination of 
environmental information. He or she will be familiar with 
applicable North American regulations and policies associated with 
pollutant management. The primary responsibilities of the person in 
this position will be to encourage enhanced comparability of North 
American Pollutant Release Toxic Reporting PRTR systems amonsgt
Canada, the U.S., and Mexico. The person will also be responsible for
implementation of the North American Regional Action Plans for the 
control and management of certain chemicals, and to serve as a major 
point of contact for technical and pollution issues at the CEC.

The successful applicant will have an advanced degree in an area 
related to science, engineering, or environment plus at least eight 
years of project management experience in areas related to pollution 
issues. A comprehensive interdisciplinary understanding of scientific, 
technical and policy aspects of pollutant issues is necessary. Previous 
experience working with federal governmental agencies in the 
management / coordination of successful interagency, intergovernmental 
and international initiatives is desirable. The official languages of the CEC 
are English, Spanish and French. Submit applications immediately to
Eduardo Delgadillo, Administrator, Commission for Environmental Cooperation
393, rue StJacques Ouest, Suite 200, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1N9
Tel (514) 350 4354, Fax (514) 3504314, email  [email-masked]
Website at <http://www.cec.org/>http://www.cec.org/
                                          
************************************************************************

RUTGERS UNIVERSITY SEEKS POSTDOCTORAL
IN MARINE SCIENCE

Rutgers University Marine Field Station, Institute of Marine 
and Coastal Sciences, Tuckerton, New Jersey seeks to appoint 
one- year postdoctoral fellowships in fish ecology with an 
emphasis on habitat use, movements and trophic linkages of
young-of-the-year estuarine fishes. The successful candidates
will have an ability to work with a team of postdocs, graduate 
students, undergraduate summer interns. All applicants must 
have successfully completed all requirements for a Ph.D. degree.
To apply send a letter and c.v. to Dr. Kenneth W. Able, Director,
Marine Field Station, Institute of Marine & Coastal Sciences,
Rutgers University, 800 Great Bay Blvd., c/o 132 Great Bay Blvd.,
Tuckerton, New Jersey 08087-2004, Ph. (609) 296- 5260, Ext. 230
fax (609) 296- 1024, email [email-masked] website
<http://www.marine.rutgers.edu/>http://www.marine.rutgers.edu/

*******************************************************************

FIJI WANTS ASSISTANT DIRECTOR FOR RESOURCE CENTRE

Applications are sought for the position of Assistant Director
with the Pacific Concerns Resource Centre (PCRC) in Suva, Fiji.
PCRC is the Secretariat for the Nuclear Free and Independent 
Pacific (NFIP) movement. PCRC has programs on sustainable 
human development, environment, demilitarisation, human rights 
and good governance, decolonisation, land rights and sovereignty 
for indigenous peoples. The successful candidate will be responsible 
for PCRC's programs on resource management, environmental 
improvement including self-determination, and supporting struggles 
by independence movements and indigenous peoples in the
Pacific islands and Pacific Rim. The position requires experience in 
lobbying and campaigning on the issues of decolonisation,
self-determination, land rights and the rights of indigenous peoples
Knowledge of Pacific issues. A university degree or equivalent
qualification. Fluency in spoken and written English (Pacific languages
and French an advantage). The position will be based in Suva, Fiji 
with a salary package of F$30,000, to commence in May 1999.
Applications for the position should include a C.V., three letters of
reference, and a recent example of writing on relevant Pacific issues.
Deadline for application is April 16, 1999. Send application to 
The Director, Pacific Concerns Resource Centre (PCRC), 83 Amy 
Street, Toorak, Private Mail Bag, Suva, FIJI, 
Website <http://www.jobs.govt.nz/>http://www.jobs.govt.nz

*********************************************************

ENVIRONMENTAL RISK ASSESSOR FOR CINCINNATI

Toxicology Excellence for Risk Assessment (TERA) is seeking 
an experienced toxicologist or epidemiologist to join our 
independent nonprofit team as a Human Health Risk 
Assessor. The interested candidate should have an advanced degree 
and at least 2 years of experience critically evaluating toxicology and 
epidemiology studies in support of characterizations of human
environmental health hazards from chemicals.  We are particularly 
interested in candidates with quantitative experience in cancer 
assessment, epidemiology and/or pharmacokinetics.  Understanding 
of issues related to mode of action and mechanisms of toxicity is also 
a plus. The successful candidate should have an advanced degree in 
health risk assessment, environmental health, environmental 
epidemiology, toxicology, biochemistry, pharmacology, or a closely 
related field. He/she should have experience applying the U.S. EPA 
risk assessment guidelines and methods for the development of RfDs, 
RfCs, and cancer assessments; and have experience writing human 
health risk assessment reports and related technical documents.
Contact, Michael Dourson Ph.D., Toxicology Excellence for Risk 
Assessment (TERA), 4303 Hamilton Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45231, 
Fax 513 542 7487, email [email-masked] website
<http://www.tera.org/>http://www.tera.org  

***********************************************************************

IDAHO WANTS PUBLIC HEALTH ASSESSOR/TOXICOLOGIST

The Bureau of Environmental Health and Safety, Division of 
Health, Idaho, Department of Health and Welfare is recruiting 
for a Public Health Assessor/Toxicologist to conduct public 
health assessments, including toxicological investigations and 
related activities, to determine actual or potential human health 
risks from exposure to toxic substances in the environment or 
workplace. The successful candidate should have a Master's degree 
in health risk assessment, environmental health, environmental 
epidemiology, toxicology, biochemistry, pharmacology, or a 
closely related field; experience in conducting public health 
assessments and investigations, including toxicological investigations.
Location  Boise, Idaho. Salary US $39,000 - $48,000 per year 
Deadline for application is 5:00 pm (Mountain Time) April 16, 1999.
Contact, Maura Mack at ph. (208) 334- 0606, email
maddoxp{DHWTOWERS/TOWERS2/[email-masked]"
Visit website <http://www.ipc.state.id.us/>http://www.ipc.state.id.us" (Note 
Use a French bracket, 
not a parenthesis in the e-mail address.)

*******************************************************************

ENVIRONMENTAL FOOD SAFETY ASSESSOR

The Food Risk Analysis initiative at Rutgers University is seeking
a Research Associate to assist the Lead Scientist of the Initiative.  
The responsibilities of the Research Associate includes providing 
lectures in food environmental safety short courses and overseeing t
he day- to- day operation of laboratory research.  This research is 
focused on the development of mathematical models and quantitative 
risk assessments to improve food safety.  The candidate will also 
assist in preparing grant proposals that generate external funding, 
and draft research manuscripts for publication. The candidate must 
have a Ph.D. in Food Science, or a closely related discipline, and 
post- doctoral research experience. Deadline for application is April 
30, 1999. Interested candidates should send a curriculum vitae, and 
three letters of reference to Don Schaffner, Ph.D,. Food Risk Analysis 
Initiative, 65 Dudley Rd - Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New
Jersey 08901-8520, ph.(732) 932- 9611, Ext. 214, fax (732) 932- 9611
email [email-masked], website
<http://foodsci.rutgers.edu/>http://foodsci.rutgers.edu

*******************************************************************

UNIVERSITY OF LONDON WANTS LECTURER ON
ENVIRONMENT IN LATIN AMERICAN STUDIES

The Institute of Latin American Studies, School of Advanced Study, 
at the University of London invites applications for the post of 
Lecturer in Environmental Studies. The successful candidate will 
participate in the teaching, research and publications programmes of 
the Institute. He/she will be will be required to teach the Master's 
degree course 'Environment and Society in Latin America' and one 
other course and will be responsible for coordinating the Institute's 
MSc in Environmental Issues in Latin America. Applicants should 
have a strong research record and/or be able to demonstrate research 
potential. Salary will between £16,655 and £21,815, plus £2,134 
London Allowance. Deadline for application is April 30, 1999. 
Applications should include a full cv and a research profile and the 
names and addresses of three referees. Applications should be sent to 
the Director, Professor James Dunkerley, Institute of Latin American 
Studies, University of London, 31 Tavistock Square, London, U.K.
Ph.(0) 44.171- 862 8870, fax (0) 44.171-862 8886
e-mail  [email-masked], Website
<http://www.sas.ac.uk/ilas>http://www.sas.ac.uk/ilas/

***************************************************************

NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY AUSTRALIA WANTS
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE LECTURER

The Faculty of Science and Mathematics, Department of
Geography and Envirolnmental Science, University of 
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia wishes to appoint
a lecturer in environmental science (Level B), Position No. 
A61/99. The appointee would be required to present lectures 
and conduct tutorials, practical classes, demonstrations and 
field excursions in Environmental Science and Environmental 
Management. The successful candidate will have a PhD in 
Environmental Science or an allied field; demonstrated 
commitment to and experience in applied Environmental Science
and Environmental Management; and the ability to attract 
external funding. Salary Aus $47, 961 to $56,955 per annum. 
For further information contact A/Prof Howard Bridgman, 
Coordinator, Environmental Science, Department of Geography
University of Newcastle, 2308, NSW, Australia, ph. 61.49.21- 5093
fax 61.49.21- 5877, e-mail  [email-masked]

                        *******************************************
      ****************************************************************

                    $80.25 ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION TO 
                          "GREEN JOBS AVAILABLE"

Subscribe to the monthly “Green Jobs Available” email newsletter
and receive the full letter with contact names and numbers.
Cost, US$80.25 ($75 + $5.25 GST). If you wish to sign up, send a 
cheque made out to the "Gallon Letter", 506 Victoria Ave., Montreal, 
Quebec Canada H3Y 2R5.

   ******************************************************************
                     *********************************************

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]