Subject: (Fwd) Re: NATIONAL STRATEGY TO ASSIST FAMILY FARMS (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:14:29 -0500 (EST)

http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:25:07 +0000
From: Tom Hodges <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date:          Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:18:09 +0700 (GMT+0700)
From:          Richard Tinsley <[email-masked]>
To:            "Tom Hodges (moderated newsgroup)" <[email-masked]>
Cc:            Principles of Sustainable Agriculture <[email-masked]>
Subject:       Re: NATIONAL STRATEGY TO ASSIST FAMILY FARMS (fwd)

While I have concentrated my career on smallholder agriculture in
developing countries with normally less than 10 ha. of land. I do
occassionally get to make comparisions with family farms in the US mostly
Colorado.  The notes I have are:

Colorado dry landers, 7000 ac, father, and two sons. Father high shool
education, son both graduatres of Colorado State University, one in
economics and the other in mechanization.  Where is the Agronomy. Income
in the mid income range.

Colorado irrigated farm some 10 miles away.  700 ac, father and 2 sons,
father with highschool education sone graduates for Colorado State
Univetrsity, one in farm management, one in mechanization,  Still looking
for the agronomy.  Again mid income range

California rice farmer.  2700 acres, father, son, one hired machinery
person. Did not ask on education. Since sold out to developers.  Very
interesting note, in former Soviet Union,visited state rice farm of same
size, but supporting 900 people.  Divide people into area and get 3 ac per
person the same as my 3rd world smallholder.

I hope this puts some perspective on the discussion.

Dick Tinsley