Subject: Re: Art/ Stop Farming Now

From: "Akiva Werbalowsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 23:19:44 PDT

<Whmm. And what do you recommend calling someone who raises cattle, 
sheep, or ducks?>

Art>

grower, shepherd, duckinero, etc.
However, if he/she pays rent to an absentee land owner or is raising 
animals primarily for financial profit, I'd call 'em a farmer.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:30:27 -0800

There is something attractive about a farmer making things "firm", as
this is in fact the stable base of any economy , as Bloefield so
elegantly points out in "Pleasant Valley". 
	Ironically in Brazilian Portuguese we have no word for "farmer", other
than "produtor rural"-- rural producer.  That also is a bit too
commercial-- farmer has more profound psychological  meanings for us,
don`t you think?  It has connotations of roots, which  "rural
producer"does not have...

Marsha
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
Brazil

---

From: Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:30:27 -0800

Marsha