Subject: properties of cedar wood

From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:40:18 -0800

I am curious about the chemical constituents in cedar wood.  What
specifically is in the wood that makes it so rot and pest resistant?  What
effect would the chips have if applied to the soil as a mulch (pH, growth
retardent, etc.)?  Are there any fungi or saprophytes that co-exist with
cedar that could possibly be used to break down wood chips?  
	Please, no anecdotal information.  I prefer referenced or cited facts.

								Regards,
								Kirk Hanson

Kirk Hanson
C/O Permaculture West
72 Mattson Rd.
Oakville, WA 98568
ph./fx. (360) 273-7117
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Diver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:11:24 +0000

Firstly, pH is overated.  In soils managed primarily through humus
management practices  (cover cropping, composting, rotations, 
microbial inoculants) as versus mineral fertilization, there is a buffering 
capacity that renders pH less important.    

Wood chips applied as a mulch will function as a weed barrier and
provide a nice walking surface in pathways.  As a weed barrier, it
will supress weeds through interception of light and through soil 
coverage as versus leaving the soil bare.  Wood chips will also retard growth 
by tie-up of nitrogen and perhaps through exudation of growth 
inhibitors.  For stubborn, perennial weeds you will still need a 
sheet layer of newspaper underneath the wood chips for effective
weed control.  For regular annual weeds, the wood chip mulch may
suffice.  As long as you use the chips in pathways, they will not 
impact on plant growth in beds.  But, avoid incorporating the 
wood chips when you till beds during spring preparation because
the chips will do their tie-up thing in the wrong place....in the 
soil instead of on the surface. 

steve diver

Reference: "Cerebral Cacophony of Permaculture Man:  A Portrait
of Anarchism in 21st Century Cyber-Mail".  Henry Double-Day Book
Publishers, Carrot Au Gratin, London.  p. 235-236. 

> Date:          Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:40:18 -0800
> Reply-to:      <[email-masked]>
> From:          "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
> To:            <[email-masked]>
> Subject:       properties of cedar wood

--
[email-masked]