Subject: Re: Indicator plants

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 18:23:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi, 

Thanks to Dan Hemenway for sharing his observations etc. on indicator plants.
This is real good stuff! 
Hope others will comment and add to the knowledge base.
Apparently Dan has offered to assemble such a list...that list I believe
would be of great benefit to us all.. frank

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 09:54:11 -0500 (EST)

>would be of great benefit to us all.. frank

OK, I'll go along with that with the understanding that we are free to
publish any and all material we receive in this regard as well as taking
responsibility to repost it on the mailing list in a timely fashion.  If I do
NOT post a list, it is because I did not get anything worth coalating.  I'm
not going to post any indicator plant nominations unless there are soild
references that say exactly why you think that this is an indicator plant.
 If you have personal observation as the reference--great, at least we know
it isn't the fantasy of some writer you happened to read.  There is way too
much of that stuff in the indicator plant/companion plant literature already.
 In case of personal observation, say exactly what you observed and why you
then concluded that you were observing a case of an indicator plant--your
reasoning behind your nomination.  If the plants talk to you that is great.
 After you verify that they aren't lying to you, by actual observations,
we'll include what they have said in the list.  I do this to myself when I
feel the plants have spoken to me--I'm not being snide, just realistic by my
limited sights.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email.  One is now underway.  Next Live program:  Paraguay, 9/98.
Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA  [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.