Subject: Re: Roundup

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 23:43:00 -0500

In accordance with a general trend of the last 10 - 15 years, Monsanto
Chemical Co. (maker of Roundup herbicide) is a major owner of seed
companies and breeding programs. 

Monsanto came out in the last year or so with a cotton variety which is
designed to work in conjunction with Roundup. Weeds are becoming immune to
herbicides at current application rates, just as pests are becoming immune
to pesticides. Roundup proudly advertises that its new cotton can be dosed
with twice the previously-tolerated levels of Roundup, so that instead of
using your head to deal with herbicide-tolerant weeds, you can just use
twice as much Roundup!

Jack

---

From: Avalon Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 12:18:05 -0800

i seldom read the 'wall st. journal', but last week, while waiting at
our tiny town's library for an 80 y.o. man to finish his early voting so
i could cast mine, i 'killed time' by scanning the wsj front page story
-- about cotton farmers in India committing suicide at higher than
'average' (whatever THAT means!) rates because their cotton crops were
being eaten by caterpillers, immune to insecticides.

the farmers there, on 4 ACRE 'plots' were being lured away from food
crops, e.g. lentils, in favor of 'white gold' by nefarious seed/chemical
salesmen, given credit at usurous rates, and then when el nino and bugs
caused crop failures, men would rather die -- and leave their wives to
fend for themselves and sell their 6 year old sons into 'slavery' for
$80.00 u.s./year

what goes round comes round, and when karma kicks back, it can be a
bitch!

not to start a war here, but it comes to mind that 'bout the only
promise the 'white man' ever kept to us indians over here (i'm l/4
Choctaw, 3/4 import) was that he'd take our land -- and he did -- and
lookie what he's done with it!  my maternal grandparent's people farmed
in what is now called mississippi for CENTURIES before columbus got lost
-- even he, with NO formal education, knew the difference between 'dead'
soil and 'live' soil -- he TASTED it to see what it would grow!

so much for my early morning venting of the spleen toward 'roundup' and
monsanto!  FIE upon them and their heirs for 7 generations!

avalon bruce aka Brings Together Woman

-- 
The Earth is not given to us by our parents.
It is loaned to us by our children.

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 13:47:33 -0500 (EST)

http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/pesticide-education
[email-masked]   [email-masked]

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Jack Rowe wrote:

> , so that instead of

Yes, and the suckers that buy that propaganda don't have to worry as they
were born without heads anyway, but have onboard GIS equipment bionically
connected to their motor control system that is satellite-linked to
Moansanto's automation department. At a flip of a switch from Moansanto
millions of automatons jump on the spray rigs ready to loose yet another
salvo of poison on our Earth. .... and they'd call it organic if they
could get away with it.....

---

From: Avalon Bruce <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 12:18:05 -0800

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 13:47:33 -0500 (EST)