Subject: Re: Stop Farming/ Root Awareness

From: Skye <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 00:24:22 -0600

Well said Verne L. Chinampas

My heritage is from among the people who maliciously and cruelly wiped
out most of the orignal culture and knowledge of the original people of
Australia. Hardly a story to be proud of. And what a sad loss!!!

Most of my work is now in my newly adopted home, Mexico. I am still
struggling with Spanish. And the thought of trying Huichol or Mayan is
simply scarey!!

But, as I learn  the language of this area, and slowly find some
understanding to the culture that surrounds me, I become more and more
aware of the social and cultural damage done when people are forced to
operate with a different language. I realise that it is impossible to
separate the Latino culture, from their language, Spanish. Culture and
Language are intimately interwoven and inseparable.

More and more I realise that what is needed here, is not translations of
English Permaculture books into Spanish, but rather Permaculture
information written by native Spanish speakers for native Spanish
readers. 

And I would love to see a spanish equivalent of this newsgroup available
(and a hopi version, a vietmanes version......) but my previous request
along these ines, to the administrators of this service has recieved no
reply.  

In my work here I am often fortunate enough to work with highly
educated, highly intelligent and highly motivated people - who cannot
access the information of this service because they don't speak or read
english. Often this is a very conscious, personal and political
statement about not cooperating with the cultural oppresion, that is
english.

I hope that, within Permaculture, we can at least avoid perpetuating
with form of oppression.

Diversity comes in many colors. We need diversity in the worlds cultures
as much as I need diversity in my home garden.

Con carino
Skye

---

From: Skye <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 00:24:22 -0600

Con carino
Skye