Subject: Re: Diploma discussion

From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:50:59 -0800

For those teachers out there interested in a summary of the English
system....here is my understanding of it....

The Action Learning Manual is meant to help those two week graduates who
wish to forge on and get a diploma.   (I think the process can be useful
regardless of any wish for a diploma).  Students are expected to register
with the academy and pay according to their means for support and guidance.
 Some of this feels overcontrolled to me.

The parts that I wish to take on board for our courses are:
*Student to prepare a short yearly plan (goal setting) - last day of
course.
*Student encouraged to NETWORK, LEARN MORE and get involved in PRACTICAL
ACTION.
*Student encouraged to keep a diary of activities (as part of Diploma
portfolio).  Items would include-
building a network...with technical people, other pc people, influential
people, support (see later), keeping in touch with your teacher, getting
design support from more experienced designers (and paying for it);
further learning...books, course, garden and other site visits, developing
specific skills;
practical action...changes to own lifestyle, getting hands on pc
experience, doing designs for friends, neighbours, community (which will
point out what you don't know), getting involved in a whole range of
projects;
helping other pc people... disseminating their knowledge, keeping the pc
community informed of what they're up to, working with others, discussing
with others,  community building, leadership, supporting their teachers and
other teachers, helping new pc graduates, documenting the work of others
for dissemination.

This checklist should help our students have a much more focussed approach
to continuing pc involvement.

A major recommendation of the Action Learning Manual is to be involved with
a structured support group of 3-4 people (all involved in world change
activities).  To meet 1 day every 1/4, or for 2 hours every month.
This gives an opportunity to "think out loud", and to get feedback to think
about later (feedback structured as: "what I liked about what you
presented/what I would do
differently").  Equal time for all to be listened to (What's going well;
what's presenting difficulties; what have I learnt so far - long term
visions/goals; the next achievable step).  (I statements, no rescuing,
facilitator, set time then disband or recommit).

Action Learning is based on the cycle
Doing (being fully in the present)...Observing (noticing how I operate,
finding common ground with others)...Thinking (using other's thinking
too)...Designing... Doing and so on.

Sorry this is very abbreviated, and as Skye recommends below contact the UK
Academy for more.

Cheers
Rene and Lorraine van Raders
The Green Piece Permaculture Garden
PO Box 389
Malanda, Beautiful Far North Queensland
4885 Australia
Int.  61 740 965138
Australia 07 40 965138
email  [email-masked]
"If enough people knock there heads against a brick wall it will fall
down."
Ashleigh Brilliant

Skye wrote
> Hola
> 
> Not sure if I can help much with your Diploma question. In Australia the
> old process of waiting two years, supposedly doing something worthwhile,
> and then writing to the Institute, with proof of you activities   still
> applies. But there are changes afoot at the Institute, so who knows.
> 
> In England the process is much clearer, and well defined. It is under
> the auspices of the Permaculture Academy, who have a quite detailed
> publication explaining the process. Suggest you contact them directly.
> You need to get to Andy Langford, I don't know his email address, but I
> am sure the PC UK Association could find him - try
> [email-masked]
> 
> Here n Mexico, the Instituto will be establishing a system somewhat
> similar to that of England, but maybe a little more flexible to allow
> for the different education accessible to the general people of Mexico.
> But it is still early days for us.
> 
> Hope that helps a little
> 
> Skye
> 
> 
>