Subject: Re: Keyline !ATTN!: Darren & Frank & everyone else on the list

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:37:48 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/99 9:44:39 PM, [email-masked] writes:

<< we have time as Frank's not able to do anything until some
time in August.>>  probably even later. Need is even greater though...due to 
above average heat, drought period Goose Creek is real low, and some of the 
feeder drainwages have just dried up. Only small spring fed pond still has 
water...and it's very shallow..looks like 2'or so.  

So it's even more imperative that I find ways to contain the abundance of 
water in spring etc.

Larry your interactive area sounds great!   Cheers. Best to all.   Frank

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: lbarnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:38:42 -0500

Frank,
	The best way to store water is in the ground (less evaporation, most
cost effective, encourages deep rooting, etc.) Definately check into
keyline stuff which directs surface water along low angle subsoil
channels towards drier, relatively high ground where the water soaks
into the ground over a large area. Water availability is based mostly on
average rainfall, catchment area, and underground strata- if you are on
limestone, you might be able to tap into massive amounts of water
flowing thru fissures. You should consider developing small swells on
contour all over your property- so the water soaks in rather than runs
off. You might want to check with local dowsers to find out more about
the underground "veins" ("flowing aquifers") feeding your springs- there
are techniques where experienced dowsers are able to apparently change
the course of underground water to springs, etc. I'd be happy to turn
you on to water dowsing info,  references, and local contacts. Happy
Trails, Lee ( WNC, Southern Appalachian Mts.)

---

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 13:07:27 EDT

Hi Lee,

Always good to hear from you. It's been a while.

Lots of good ideas in your post...a few of which I am already checking into 
like the water dousers. I have a neighbor who is supposed to be good at it.. 
He's also a local magistrate...but he talks up such a storm..I'm worried 
about his depth. he he

I'm told this summer has been unusually droughty.  We had less than an inch 
yesterday. Any rain is helpful.  Real sporadic...and spotty. Sometimes areas 
a few miles away get rain and we none.

here are lots of drainage ways on property. In spring most have 
water...sometimes lots. So that water probably percolates a bit before ot 
reaches Goose creek, and owings Branch Creek which flow into the Green River.

I'd like to build some low cost ponds, or storage areas.
I'm also wondering wether it would be cheaper to build a well for field 
irrigation, cattle etc.  I'm told water table is within 40 feet or so.  But 
don't like risk in such if perchance the spot drilled doesn't pan out.

Look forward to hearing from you.

How's the weather out your way.   Frank

---

---

From: lbarnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:34:24 -0500

Frank et al,	
	There is a great publication on the web ("Ground Water Atlas of the
United States") from the US Geological Survey -
http://wwwcapp.er.usgs.gov/publicdocs/gwa/index.html - it has regional
summaries of ground water hydrology with cool downloadable text and
diagrams. Local dowsers will gain from combining a good knowledge of
local geology with their skill at finding relatively shallow, high
volumn yielding underground water "veins."("flowing aquifers")  Check
out the USGS homepage too! 
Happy Trails, Lee (Southern Appalachian Mts.)

---