Subject: [permaculture] Fw: Stop the Sale of NYC's Community Gardens!

From: "Guy Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:11:38 -0600

From: Email Army <[email-masked]>
To: The Mighty Email Army <[email-masked]>
Subject: Stop the Sale of NYC's Community Gardens!
Date: Wednesday, March 31, 1999 12:53 AM

              *** PLEASE SPREAD THIS NOTICE FAR AND WIDE ***

To the Email Army        From [email-masked]       3/31/99

It's official.  The auction catalog is out: New York City plans to sell
114 community gardens to real-estate speculators at a two-day auction
May 13-14.  Over the last 4 months there has been enormous public
outcry against this senseless and mean-spirited sale -- but the
administration of Rudy Giuliani wouldn't listen. 

We are now asking every supporter of community gardens to MAKE A
PROTEST CALL to Deputy Mayor Joseph Lhota at 212-788-3137.  

Leave a message expressing your shock and outrage -- demand that EVERY
GARDEN BE REMOVED FROM THE AUCTION.  Be polite but firm (and help us
send flowers to the sure-to-be-harried receptionists by emailing your
pledge to [email-masked]).

Also, start spreading the word about two garden protests/celebrations next
weekend, April 10-11:

   Standing Our Ground
      WHAT:  a massive rally for Community Gardens.
      WHEN:  Sat., April 10, 11-3.
      WHERE: Bryant Park, 42nd at 6th Ave, Manhattan.

   Reclaim the Streets (The Garden Party)
      WHAT:  a street celebration in support of Community Gardens.
      WHEN:  Sun., April 11, 1:30 PM sharp!
      WHERE: El Jardin del Paraiso, E. 5th Str. between Ave. C & D.

For more on the fight to save community gardens, visit 
http://www.panix.com/~jaynedoe
  
If you're not already receiving regular garden alerts, write to
[email-masked], asking to join the Email Army.  

To learn about upcoming actions against police brutality, write to
[email-masked]

For a comprehensive weekly calendar of left events in the overlapping
worlds of art and politics, write to [email-masked]

Jayne Doe (A.K.A. David and Leslie)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mighty Email Army is a Direct Action-Oriented List in Defense Of
Community Gardens And Other Public Spaces, Sponsored By The Lower East
Side Collective (212-774-4192; http://www.lescollective.org).
To Join, Write To [email-masked]; Feedback Always Welcomed.

_______________________________________________
community_garden maillist  -  [email-masked]
https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:56:44 -0500 (EST)

I have an ongoing collection of links to sites
involved in preserving NYC's Community Gardens

http://metalab.unc.edu/london/Elsewhere.html - look near top of page
under New Links 

http://metalab.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]

---