Subject: Rhus clan

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:04:57 -0400

Funny to be cooincidentally discussing such diverse members of the oddball
Rhus genus... R. radicans and toxicodendron (poison ivy and oak) and R.
glabra (smooth sumac). There are other red-berried, edible/medicinal sumacs
(dward, winged, trilobata) whose berries make a nice-tasting summer drink
with a little water and sugar. R. trilobata (mountains) and microphylla
(desert basins) both grow in arid lands and the tart berries are very good
for bringing saliva back to a parched mouth, and tasty to boot. Mighty
pretty in fall when colors change, and in winter when the red berry
clusters persist for quite a while (catch them early, before rains, for the
best 'lemon-ade').

Some spp will take a lot of moisture and I've even seen stands of staghorn
sumac growing in creek mud. Even the sumacs which tolerate drier conditions
tend to grow where subsoil moisture reservoirs exist, as in road borrow
ditches and on rocky hillsides (which look dry but 'most always have a huge
water reservoir inside them). 

According to Kelly Kindscher (Medicinal Wild Plants of the Prairie,
excellent book), roots and barks of edible spp. make an astringent tea for
treating diarrhea -- dried and powdered, they stop bleeding used externally
or internally. Teas of leaves or ground berries were drunk for colds and
flu. Settlers used gum from the trees to treat toothache, and research has
found a 'highly active antibiotic substance' in the tissues. The leaves
were smoked by Native Americans as a tobacco subsitute.

Poison sumac, R. vernix (looks like the red-berried sumacs in form but has
larger, white berries, grows in boggy areas), is another member of the
genus which causes a bad itching rash. I shared some sumac-ade I had in the
fridge with a friend from poison sumac country. He drank some and said
"Mmm, this is good, what is it?", then spit a mouthful across the kitchen
when I told him "Sumac". He almost slugged me before I could explain.

Jack

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 10:24:34 +0000

Wondering if anyone could confirm the theory that where sumac grows is
an indicator of good location for apples?  Of course, here in Wisconsin,
sumac & prickly ash are consistently the 2 pioneer species on disturbed
land.  Sumac seems easy to deal with, & dies away from competition from
larger trees, prickly ash is a lot more rugged, does eventually get
shaded out by deep woods, but makes life hell in the mean time.

Also, has anyone tried sheetmulching poison ivy?  Ive got some spots
appearing in our nut orchard that are still managable & would like to do
something before they take over the whole orchard. 

Miekal

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 10:24:34 +0000

Miekal

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 10:17:43 +0000

U-ACT 98

May 17-30 1998

U-ACT 98 is an experiment in self-actuated culture that will happen at 
Dreamtime village in southwest Wisconsin May 17-30. Paticipants are 
expected to make the event happen by cooking, cleaning,and integrating 
into village action. $7 per day is expected to be paid on arrival. 
A default structure is MORNINGS; Permaculture and Hypermedia projects, 
AFTERNOONS; Social Learning.    EVENINGS; Music, Storytelling and 
Networking.

MORNINGS 
Permaculture will include; harvest and use wild medicinals and edibles, 
designing, planting, weeding, and mulching. 
Hypermedia: Mailart, documenting, bookmaking, library and archives, 
collaging, rubber stamping. 
Other: Clean and organize buildings and make great food.
 
AFTERNOONS 
Social learning is the main focus. Topics include: practical experiences 
in creating community, composing multiplicity (society, culture, 
music,activism),and creating the conditions for a transformation of 
everyday life. 

EVENINGS 
Networking,music making, and story telling will liven up the night and 
get us ready to sleep. 

Dreamtime village is a project that focuses on permaculture and 
hypermedia. We are located in the driftless area of southwest Wisconsin. 
Activities are conducted in and around a school building and two houses 
in the town of West Lima, Wisconsin. The school has a cafe, performance 
space, woodshop, clay studio, library, and craft shop. A 30 and 40 acre 
plot of land are also part of Dreamtime Village. They are partially 
wooded and have small creeks running through them. 

$7 per day and active participation required
contact eric at [email-masked]
or write Dreamtime Village U-Act 98 Rt.1 Box 131 LaFarge WI 54639
or call Eric, Mel, or Myles at 608 625 2412
for more information about Dreamtime Village see the website at 
http://www.net22.com/dreamtime/index.shtml

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 10:17:43 +0000

U-ACT 98

May 17-30 1998

MORNINGS 
 
AFTERNOONS 

EVENINGS

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 10:24:34 +0000

Miekal

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 10:24:34 +0000

Miekal

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 10:17:43 +0000

U-ACT 98

May 17-30 1998

MORNINGS 
 
AFTERNOONS 

EVENINGS

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 10:17:43 +0000

U-ACT 98

May 17-30 1998

MORNINGS 
 
AFTERNOONS 

EVENINGS