Subject: University PC Training/Celebration

From: "Verne L. Chinampas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:22:18 -0800 (PST)

(forwarded for Akiva)

You're invited celebrate with us on March 28 for the (free) Solar
Music Festival and Permaculture Open House in San Luis Obispo! Begins
at noon, but those who will help prepare the site can start showing up
now.

***************************************************************
Our program is designed ESPECIALLY FOR EDUCATORS interested in
learning permaculture to share with their others. Refer to the
following information and if you have questions or wish to register
for course space (almost full but we may expand the program if there
is continued interest), please contact Cal Poly Extended Education at
(805) 756-2053. Try getting your department or school to sponsor your
participation! (Its worth a try.)

Many thanks,
Akiva Werbalowsky
Cal Poly State University
Bioresource and Agricultural Engineering Dept.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407

[email-masked]

*******************************************************************

UNIVERSITY PERMACULTURE TRAINING

Cal Poly Permaculture is dedicated to experiential "learn-by-doing"
education in support of personal and bioregional wellness. Programs
provide continuing education credits and are community-based,
intergenerational collaborations with the Central Coast Permaculture
Guild. They meet the needs of natural resource professionals, farmers,
environmental and community activists, gardeners, students, and anyone
seeking practical skills and understanding to enhance ecological
health and diversity. We welcome and encourage your participation.

*************************************************************

March 28:  OPEN HOUSE CELEBRATION/Solar Music Festival 
Free at the Cal Poly Permaculture Center and Student CCOF Organic Farm
Participatory music, dance, fire circle, camp-out, local food and
culture. Call (805) 756-2053 to have directions sent to you.
COME CELEBRATE WITH US! Event starts at noon.
Stay for the next day's....

March 29: CALIFORNIA PERMACULTURE SYMPOSIUM
All day Introduction to Permaculture with top permaculture educators
from throughout the West. Opening session for certificate program and
there is a fee of $49. Register with Cal Poly Extended Education (805)
756-2053

Sundays 9am-3pm through June 7:
(described below)  PERMACULTURE and ECOLOGICAL DESIGN SERIES

June 21-July 4: Two Week Residential
SUMMER SOLSTICE PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE 
featuring Larry Santoyo and senior instructors from throughout the
West. The Design Course begins and ends with celebrations for Summer
Solstice (June 21) and Independence Day, July 4. This is a great
opportunity to live and learn Permaculture in a seasonal village where
all meals and services are developed with Permaculture practices in
mind. 

*************************************************************

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Certificate Program in
Permaculture and Ecological Design
PCED 9801

Permaculture is a practical design process modeled on balanced
ecosystems. It is holistic in both ethic and function, enhancing air,
water, food, biodiversity, and community health. Permaculture is rooted
in stewardship and efficient use of local resource ecology rather than
reliance and overconsumption of costly imported resources.

This 10-week series of experiential seminars meets Sundays from 9am-3pm
at Cal Poly's Permaculture Center and Organic Farm. The series benefits
all people interested in sustainable living practices, and includes
practical training for gardeners, land managers, farmers, architects,
planners, community service volunteers, environmental educators, and
students. 

If you're interested in clean air, water, healthy food and community,
this course is for you.

Sessions include presentations, training, and "learn-by-doing"
collaboration with permaculture designers, Cal Poly professors,
landscape professionals, and community leaders dedicated to restorative
ecological practices. An information packet with more detailed
scheduling will be sent upon request.

Examples of topics covered:

Soil building, water harvesting, solar technologies, patterns in nature,
holistic management, ecological food systems, food forestry, straw bale
construction, chicken "tractors", worm ranching, and community design.
Also included are field trips to permaculture sites of interest.

Participants can register for single sessions, or the whole series which
includes an accredited Certificate of Completion and 5 continuing
education units (CEUs). We will assist in accomodations for out of town
participants. Certification qualifies trainees for work-exchange
privileges for the two-week residential Permaculture Design Course
beginning Summer Solstice.

Instructor Bios:

LARRY SANTOYO is one of this nation's premier Permaculture designers and
teachers, and is a long-time colleague of Permaculture pioneer, Bill
Mollison. Larry's unique insight and humor embodies Permaculture oral
tradition at its finest . Check out his website at www.permaearth.org.

AKIVA WERBALOWSKY develops ecological agriculture programs at Cal Poly
and has been growing food his whole life. With degrees from the
University of Virginia and UCSB, Akiva has developed
community-based ecological programs nationwide, and is dedicated to
bioregional wellness and stewardship on the central coast.

JULIAN KAYNE is the site director for Cal Poly Compost, grows and
markets organic food, and specializes in reforestation though farming.
With a biology degree from UCSB, Julian is a designer for the Cal Poly
Permaculture Center,  possibly the finest certified-organic university
Permaculture site in the nation.

There will be many guest instructors.
*********************************************************************

10-week series Program Details:

All who regester receive a packet of additional information. Space is
limited and this course will be popular. Early registration is advised.

Cost:

$49/session

$349 for 10 session series (certificate is additional $40)

Families with children welcome (free under age 12)
Plan to bring a lunch, beverage, sunscreen, garden attire, footware,
and hat. 

Scholarship will be possible if sponsors come forward. Please consider
sponsoring scholarships for those who could not otherwise participate.
Contact Akiva.

SYLLABUS and SESSION FORMAT:

Topics are arranged for appropriateness to weather and site-specific
conditions.

Our senior instructor is Larry Santoyo. Program coordination is by
Akiva Werbalowsky, assisted by Julian Kayne.

Invited guest intructors include: Simon Henderson, Doug Gosling, Cary
Yamashiro, Lee Osbaldeston, Penny Livingston,Ianto Evans, Skip
Schuckman, Scott Pittman, Sandy Messori,Brock Dolman, Bill Roley, 
Eric Werbalowsky, Justin Grunewald, Bill Mollison, Rob Kimmel, Paul
Stamets, Karyn Kwid, Doug Williams, Polly Cooper, Bob Theis, Ken
Haggard, Keith Johnson, Richard Smith, and many more. (This notice
serves as an invitation to those experienced permaculturalists not yet
contacted to come and share Sundays with us at Cal Poly. Please
contact Akiva.)

Schedule of Sessions for Spring 1998

SPECIAL EVENT
Saturday March 28 @ 2 pm - Permaculture Open House at Cal Poly
12 NOON- dark.  Free at the Cal Poly Permaculture Center and Student
CCOF Organic Farm Participatory music, dance, fire circle, camp-out,
local food and culture.

Don't miss this one-time celebration!

1) Sunday March 29 @ 9am
Introduction to Permaculture, continuing celebration of restorative
ecological practices. Many special guest presenters. 

2) Sunday April 5 @ 9am -  Nature as Teacher - Guild Observation,
Analysis, and Understanding

Location: Cal Poly Campus - creek, hills, ponds, etc.

3) Sunday April 19 @ 9pm -  Cultivating Soil Fertility 

Activities: Sheet mulching, worm ranching, resource gathering,  mulch
gardening, compost piles. Students will receive starter worm kit.

4) Sunday April 26 @ 9pm -  Water Harvesting - Permaculture Hydrology 

Activities: Overview of waterharvesting techniques and hands on
construction of harvesting device, i.e. swales, cistern, ferro-cement
tanks.

5) Sunday May 3 @  9pm -  Permaculture Animals  

Activities: Overview of role of animals in permaculture design and food
raising. Using animals' innate characteristics as design features in a
system.

6) Sunday May 10 @ 9pm -  Permaculture Garden Design:

Activities: Analyzing and designing a garden space using PC methods.
Students will design a garden for class site or homesite.

7) Sunday May 17 @ 9pm -  Sculpting with Earth 

Activities: Cob, claypot irrigation, flowforms. Hands-on construction of
claypot irrigation jug or cob oven.

8) Sunday May 24 @ 9am -  Strawbale Construction 

Activities: Strawbales as housing, shelter for plants, amphitheatre
construction. Building with strawbales.

9)Sunday May 31 @ 9am -  Community Interdependence Skills 

Activities: Soap making, basketry, community scale industry

10) Sunday June 7 @ 9am-  Seed selection and saving 

Activities: Selection criteria for adapting plants to your site, seed
harvesting and storage techniques

4pm - Permaculture Party and Award Ceremony

Daily Schedule

9:00: Arrival, session orientation
9:30: Morning presentation, question and answer
11:00: Learn-by- doing activities/practical instruction
12-1: Lunch
1:00: Afternoon presentation, question and answer
2:30: Learn-by-doing activities/practical instruction
3:00: Finish

Thank you for caring about this work.

PLEASE NOTE: You will be sent a free Course Catalog by calling Cal Poly
Extended Education at (805)-756-2053

Four Easy Ways to Register
                                 
Telephone 
The office is open during the following hours:            

       MWF 8:00am - 4:30pm 
       TTh    8:00am - 6:00pm 

VISA/MC or purchase orders only.  Please have             
your credit card number ready when you call.  Voice      
mail is available after hours and weekends.                  
Call: (805) 756-2053 
           
   By Mail: 
Print and Fill out this registration form and mail it 
with a check (payable to Cal Poly Extended 
Education), money order or charge card number 
(NO CASH, please). 

Mail to:  Cal Poly 
          Extended Education 
         San Luis Obispo, CA 93407 

   Fax 
Print and Fill out the registration form and fax it any time, 
24 hours a day.  VISA/MC or purchase orders 
only. 

Fax:  (805) 756-5933 

In Person 
Visit our office: 

MWF 8:00am - 4:30pm 
TTh    8:00am - 6:00pm 

Office:    First Floor, Jespersen Hall 
           Building 116, Room 101 

*end*

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com