Subject: [Permaculture] "Forward" and "Back"/ Discussing Solutions

From: eric + michiko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:41:00 -0700

Scott wrote:
> . . . move beyond the digging stick in an attempt to restore what has
> been destroyed?
> 
> I've just returned from a month in Africa where deserts are being created
> systematically and shovel technology is just not an option if one wants to
> begin the process of pushing the desert back.  It is very difficult for me
> to go along with the school of minimalism in the face of starvation,
> dessication, and loss of plant and animal life.

Again, as I said on 7/2:
> I agree, and didn't mean to imply that using large machinery is never a
> good idea.  It's the "sometimes" in your statement that I am pointing out.
> There are times when large machinery is not a good idea.  I specifically
> have small projects in mind done by people who are intending to "do Pc" but
> don't think much about how they carry out their desgin.

I don't think we are limited to "everyone must use large machinery" _or_
"everyone must use hand tools".   Each has its place and time.  Your
experiences in Africa have lead you to believe that they are in need of
some major work and  "shovel technology is not an option".  I have not been
there, but from what I have heard, you may be right.

I guess I was just looking for some sign that you are not saying that
"industrial machinery is _always_ better".  And I suppose you already have:

Scott first wrote:
> Just as sometimes allopathic radical surgery is more effective to save the
> patient than say herbal medicine, the same is true with big equipment.

and today:
> Though I sympathize with Luddism in some contexts this isn't one of them.

Eric Storm

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]