Subject: Tires

From: Kevin Snorf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 19:05:51 -0700

I was re-reading "Urban Permaculture" and started thinking about the
growing potatoes in tires idea. I have heard of tires being used as
planters before. I was a little concerned that some strange chemical
from tires might get into the soil and then into the plant. Does anyone
know if there is anything to be cautious of when planting in tires? Any
feedback would be appreciated. Much thanks, 
Kevin Snorf

---

From: "t. gray shaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:50:14 -0600

>feedback would be appreciated. Much thanks,

Yeah, I read in Erlich's _Ecoscience_ (or something else published around
1980) that 11,400 pounds of cadmium are released into the air each year in
the United States from the normal wear of automobile tires.  I don't know
why that number stuck in my head, but I never forgot it.

Of course, you'd have to figure what percentage one tire is of all the
tires in the United States and make up some coefficient for the difference
between "normal wear" and the fact that the tire in question is motionless
(probably more if buried).  I think it'd be easier to take direct readings
under test conditions.  I suspect that there are more volatile ingredients,
anyway - otherwise why would they smell?

Still, I don't see that whatever's coming off tires used as planters could
be any worse for you than tap water, most household cleaners, and most
cosmetics.  So if you're going to apply a tight standard to tires, remember
that you'd do just as well cleaning out your cabinets and buying a water
filter.

- Gray

Never hold a Dustbuster and a cat at the same time.