Subject: [Fwd: Re: What is permaculture ?]

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 10:36:16 -0400

Subject: Re: What is permaculture ?
From: "Jeff Dickens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:41:55 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.permaculture

Much as I thought.  I like having nice growing things around, but I haven't
the slightest interest in things that are "hard to grow".  I like things
that grow "like weeds".  Like Narcissus for one.  There are patches around
here that must not have been touched in 30 years and they look awesome.
Just hundreds of square feet of packed plants against a centuries-old rock
wall, with a busy highway 3 feet away spraying road salt....

Timothy grass growing right up the asphalt wild, and bush hogged twice a
year that looks better than the rye and blue grass that someone is spending
days working on across the street.

Lilacs and Rhododendron as big as houses with whole colonies of birds and
rodents living in them.

I guess those are Permaculture, mostly unintended.

Greg Winning wrote in message <[email-masked]>...
>
>Jeff Dickens wrote in message <[email-masked]>...
.
.
.
>>I'm looking for plants that will add some interest and yet be well-adapted
>>enough to dominate any plant or insect competitors.  Anyone else doing
this
>>kind of thing ?
>>
>Briefly, permaculture is a method of creating a sustainable system of
plants
>and animals. Its more complicated than that but I dont have the time to go
>into it. Bye. Someone else will have to give a better definition. Over to
>you...
>
>