Subject: Re: Tires

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:24:33 EDT

Cadmium is highly toxic and frankly no one has tested to see how it leaches 
out in context of potato towers, etc. There just isn't any good reason to 
take the risk. Generally, any increase to the pollution load our bodies 
receive does not merely add consequence, it multiplies.  Even if we are 
merely dealing with additive phenomena, that little bit, based on Ah, what 
the hell, everything is polluted anyway>  can carry you over a threshold to 
serious consequences.  There just isn't any pressing reason to increase our 
exposure in the case of Bill's silly tire constructions.  

No this is from a guy who used to use tires to burn brush piles.  think of 
the cadmium in the ash!  Fortunately, I never cleared garden land that way, 
but still...

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses, 
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence 
courses via email.  Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, 
Sparr FL 32192 USA  Internships. [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at 
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers 
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html

---

From: miekal and <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:08:36 -0600

dan & others,

what's your opinion of tires used for retaining walls, or
earthshelters?  we have 100s of tires at dreamtime, the local county
charges $3/per to dispose of them now. what say?

miekal