Subject: Fwd: Permaculture in PA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:07:34 EST

I am forwarding this self intro to the list in case any of you are interested
in my pet topics & want to share info, resources, etc.  

Virtually yours,  ~~Sherry/ aka [email-masked]

Subject: Re: Permaculture in PA
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 19:44:12 EST

Dear Art,

Hi.  I am 30 min west of Philadelphia in Media.  It's suburbia & I live in a
little brick house with 2.9 cats (one is missing his tail).  I have converted
a substantial portion of my yard into over 300 square feet of raised beds.  I
grow veggies, culinary and medicinal herbs, flowers & hops (yes, I homebrew
beer & mead).  I want to expand into small fruits and shiitake mushrooms this
year.  I am interested in perennial food crops, multi-use crops (use the beet
& the leaf...), crops that keep well in situ (e.g., extended harvest periods
or store in the ground), and other low tech solutions to eating year round
from the garden in temperate climates.  

I belong to the SCA, a hobby group that studies the middle ages, for which I
cook feasts from actual period recipes.  I have carried my interests in
cropfoods into study in this area.  I belong to the Seed Savers Exchange and
grow only open pollinated crops.  I belong to our local whole foods coop & am
on its board.  

I am interested in making permaculture more accessible to urban and suburban
dwellers.  For this to happen, I feel it must become less expensive to learn
about and to do, less focussed on construction of permanent structures (i.e.,
greenhouses), and provide more answers about concerns such as dealing with
types of soil contamination common to urban areas.  I view my own gardening
activities as a way to develop and test techniques to eventually share.

Recently (Jan 6), I took a fulltime new job doing technical writing & I am
over committed.  I am also monitoring a 20 week online Permaculture Design
Course.  My plate is more than full, but aren't we all busy?

I'd like to have contact info for EPTA & also info about the spring event.  I
see Dawn Hamlin's name from time to time.

Take care,  ~~Sherry