Subject: Re: manure

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 06:21:41 -0800 (PST)

I'm so glad I asked! So many responded to the query regarding fresh
manure...all mostly concurrent and as I suspected. I will only use the stuff
as a sheet mulch later and not mix it in to the existing soil strata, mix
the pile with other materials, add the BD preps as per compost, and be glad
for it when it's ready! I've got my work cut out for me...it's a big pile!
Thanks to all for your suggestions and the time it has taken you to
respond..I appreciate it.

VInca

---

From: Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:14:49 -0800

I also have access to unlimited amounts of this material.  Unfortunately
it is great breeding-ground for fleas.  My best solution has been to
throw it all in the chicken-pen first, as  horse manure can remain
clumpy for a long time.  They tear it up into nice homogeneous 
material, mixing it thoroughly with the soil bacteria, after which the
composting time is reduced, and the material much finer...

---

From: Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:14:49 -0800