Subject: Permacualture International Clears up a misunderstanding....

From: Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 08:07:12 -0300

Subject: Re: An Invitation to participate in a discussion...
From: Permaculture International <[email-masked]>
To: Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:30:04 +1000

Dear Marsha,

Thank you very much for your email. This is a very dissapointing situation
that has arisen because of a misunderstanding by April Sampson-Kelly which
has led her to give out incorrect information regarding Permaculture
International. There has been NO decision not to have the Permaculture
Global Directory online, however we are not in a position at the moment to
do so.
I have included with this email the letter I wrote to April explaining the
situation, I was hoping she would have forwarded this letter to her mailing
list, if she hasn't perhaps you could do this for me as I think it should
clear up any misunderstanding and hopefully ease the negative feelings
towards Permaculture International that have been generated by this whole
episode.

Kind regards,

Jamie Ashforth
For Permaculture International.

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:07:44 +1000
To: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
From: Permaculture International <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:
Cc:
Bcc:
X-Attachments: :Macintosh HD:2539:WOW:

Dear April,

We have just received this email from you regarding our Webpage and Global
Directory. I am not sure who you were talking to as there is no-one working
here called Rachael, however I would just like to clear up the issues
raised in your email.
Our website is temporarily offline because it had become way out of date
and needed a major overhaul. However at present we do not have anyone on
staff who is qualified to carry out this overhaul and we are currently
trying to raise the funds to pay someone to do it for us.
We also require an urgent upgrade of our subscriber and member database
which is currently being attended to, not to mention the outdated computer
system that we rely on. Unfortunately we are not a wealthy organisation and
these things can be frustratingly slow.
With regards to the Global Directory, yes we would "prefer" to sell hard
copies to those who feel that the information contained within it is of
value. This is because PIL has invested a lot of money and time into
producing the new directory and we need the money to continue the work
which we do here (including getting the new website online).
Having said that, there has been no decision to exclude the Global
Directory from our website when it returns online and we are open to anyone
who would like to help us, either financially or with expertise, to make
this happen faster.
In conclusion I would like to take this opportunity to commend the efforts
of Eve Sinton, Gayle Margaret, Brit Rollo, Stephan Kraatz, Sophia Elek and
Melinda Stephens who put a great deal of time and energy (largely on a
voluntary basis) into producing our latest Global Directory. I would also
like to recommend it as a very worthwhile purchase from  the Permaculture
International Catologue.

Kind Regards,
Jamie Ashforth
For Permaculture International.

PS Please feel free to pass this letter on to recipients of your mailing list.

>I appolgise now for any duplication of letters due to the creation of the
>new mailing list.
>it is all new territory for me and well, i made one mistake (i think) that
>has taken hours to
>repair.
>I hope you will enjoy talking again.
>April
>
>Yesterday i spoke will Rachael from the Permaculture International Journal,
>about the sudden absence of their webpage AND the vital Global directory.
>She informed me that they would prefer to sell hard copies than publish it
>for free on the net.
>I am very dissapointed with this decision and feel it is not in good faith
>with a decent share of surplus.
>
>many overseas people to me write asking for local contacts! how am i going
>to explain that they
>need to pay $15 Aus plus postage and wait weeks for the book that may on may
>not contain
>a local address for them?
>
>If you are dissappointed with PIJ's decision email them too.
>their address is [email-masked]
>
>Permaculture Visions International
>Students and graduates in 15 countries
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
>mailto:[email-masked]
>
>NEWS: Are you a new student?
>Do you want to be on Permaculture Visions student mailing list?
>Let us know.

\Assunto:
>         An invitation to participate in a discussion, should you be so
>inclined...
>    Data:
>         Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:33:43 -0300
>     De:
>         Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
>    Para:
>         [email-masked]
>
>
>
>Dear friends at the journal--
>    There is a heated discussion on the permaculture list as to whether
>the global directory should be  online or not.  It was suggested that
>you should take part in this discussion, as you handled an on-line
>directory until ow, and now are planning to only do a paper one.
>
>It would be important to state  your reasons for only doing it on paper,
>
>as people may have  misunderstood your motives.  Some consider it as
>withholding information.  I consider that you just don't have time to do
>
>the on-line work!  It might be a good idea to clear this up and to
>participate in the discussion, should you be so inclined...
>
>Best wishes!
>
>Marsha
>
>PS I am sending a faxed order.  Would apreciate confirmation of its
>arriving.
>
>Marsha
>
>Brazil