Subject: Community-Based Technologies for Domestic Wastewater Treatment

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:37:07 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:16:38 +0200
From: Jacky Foo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ET-ANN] IBSnet Electronic Seminar - October 4-29, 1999

The Integrated Bio-Systems Network and the Institute of Advanced Studies of
the United Nations University (Tokyo) cordially invites you to join an
electronic Seminar via Internet.

TITLE: Community-Based Technologies for Domestic Wastewater
          Treatment and Reuse: options for urban agriculture

DATE: 4-29 Oct. 1999
PRESENTED BY: Mr. Gregory Rose, School of Planning, University
 of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/gdrose/

SPONSOR: Institute of Advanced Studies, United Nations University, Tokyo
(http://www.ias.unu.edu)

REGISTRATION: free of charge
(a) send an email to [email-masked]
and use the subscription command:
SUB ET-W2 yourfirstname yourlastname, organization
e.g. SUB ET-W2 Gregory Rose, U of Waterloo
or
(b) register via http://segate.sunet.se/archives/et-w2.html

DISCUSSION PAPER:
The discussion paper for the seminar is available at
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/gdrose/uetext.htm . If you dont have web
access, you can request for a hardcopy of "CFP Report 27" (free of charge)
from Jeff Pelletier <[email-masked]> or Brenda Lee Wilson
<[email-masked]> at IDRC (note: please give 3-4 weeks for processing and
airmail delivery).

SUMMARY:
The seminar is based on the IDRC report which comprises a literature review
related to alternative options for managing human waste or "bio-waste" in
the urban context. The aim of the report is to review recent developments
in naturally-based wastewater TREATMENT, RECOVERY and REUSE options and to
explore how alternative interventions could potentially contribute to the:
i) provision of sanitation; ii) conservation/protection of fresh water
resources; iii) improvement of soil integrity; and, iv) production of
value-added products through linkages with URBAN AGRICULTURE.  Overall, the
report suggests that alternatives exist to highly capitalised and
centralised biowaste treatment systems that are dependent on water-borne
conveyance and electromechanical inputs for operation and maintenance.

The report explores the concept of managing urban wastewater flows at zero
and intermediate distances, based on urban micro-watersheds, and reviews
several technological interventions that may act as key components of
integrated bio-systems (IBS).  The report is divided into two major
sections.  SECTION A is comprised of the problem background and reviews
central themes associated with the management of bio-waste in an urban,
developing world context.  This section also suggests that zero-discharge
systems are requisite to decreasing the environmental externals that accrue
from community to city to ecosystem to biosphere when linear discharge
options are favoured.  SECTION B reviews selected treatment and recovery
technologies that I have identified as noteworthy and potentially
appropriate for treating and recovering bio-waste and facilitating its
reuse at the local-level.

AUTHOR:
Mr. Gregory Rose (http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/gdrose/) is a Ph D student
at the University of Waterloo in the Faculty of Environmental Studies
(School of Planning).  He has a MSc degree from Tulane University (School
of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans). His current Ph D
research relates to "regenerative waste management" and concerns the
selection and implementation of effective low-input technologies that can
effectively promote the reuse of organic waste. In 1998-1999 he was the
recipient of an IDRC (International Development Research Centre, Ottawa)
"Centre Internship  Award" with the Cities Feeding People Programme
Initiative which enabled him to travel Asia and the Middle East and
resulting in the report at http://www.idrc.ca/cfp/rep27_e.html.

++++++Additional Notices

SPECIAL INVITATION:
if you wish to present an electronic seminar, please contact Mr. Jacky Foo
- IBSnet Coordinator <[email-masked]>. An electronic seminar normally lasts
for 3-4 weeks. It is conducted as an Internet discussion over this mailing
list ([email-masked] http://segate.sunet.se/archives/et-w2.html)
using a scientific paper or article or report (not published or published).
The topic for the seminar should be related to integrated bio-systems that
involve waste treatment and utilisation and its bio-conversion into
value-added products. Please email/airmail a copy of the background
material to the IBSnet Coordinator for a preliminary review.

FORTHCOMING ACTIVITY:
March-October, 2000: Internet Conference on Material Flow Analysis of
Integrated Bio-Systems. http://www.ias.unu.edu/proceedings/icibs/ic-mfa

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
The IBSnet is sponsored by the Institute of Advanced Studies of the United
Nations University, Tokyo. (http://www.ias.unu.edu)

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]