Subject: Univ. Permaculture Training (For Everyone)

From: "Akiva Werbalowsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 20:24:06 PST

Greetings, 

I am taking a break from all email listserves for a while, and wanted to 
make available information about my work before doing so. If you need to 
contact me, please do so directly, rather than through the list: 
[email-masked].

Please refer to the following information and if you have further 
questions or wish to register for the limited course spaces, please 
contact Cal Poly Extended Education at (805) 756-2053.

Many thanks,
Akiva Werbalowsky
Ecological Agriculture Program Manager
Cal Poly State University
Bioresource and Agricultural Engineering Dept.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407

*******************************************************************

UNIVERSITY PERMACULTURE TRAINING

Cal Poly Permaculture is dedicated to experiential “learn-by-doing” 
education in support of personal and bioregional wellness. Programs 
provide continuing education credits and are community-based, 
intergenerational collaborations with the Central Coast Permaculture 
Guild. They meet the needs of natural resource professionals, farmers, 
environmental and community activists, gardeners, students, and anyone 
seeking practical skills and understanding to enhance ecological health 
and diversity. We welcome and encourage your participation.

*************************************************************

March 28:	 OPEN HOUSE CELEBRATION/Solar Music Festival 
Begins noon at the Cal Poly Permaculture Center and Student CCOF Organic 
Farm. Free, participatory music, dance, fire circle, local food and 
culture

March 29:	CALIFORNIA PERMACULTURE SYMPOSIUM
All day Introduction to Permaculture with top permaculture educators 
from throughout the West. Opening session for certificate program.

Sundays 9am-3pm through June 7:
(described below)  PERMACULTURE TRAINING PROGRAM

June 21-July 4: Two Week Residential
SUMMER SOLSTICE PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE 
featuring Larry Santoyo and senior instructors from throughout the West. 
The Design Course begins and ends with celebrations for Summer Solstice 
(June 20) and July 4. This is a great opportunity to live and learn 
Permaculture in a temporary village where all meals and services are 
developed with Permaculture practices in mind. 

*************************************************************

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Certificate Program in
Permaculture and Ecological Design

Permaculture is a practical design process modeled on balanced 
ecosystems. It is holistic in both ethic and function, enhancing air, 
water, food, biodiversity, and community health. Permaculture is rooted 
in stewardship and efficient use of local resource ecology rather than
reliance and overconsumption of costly imported resources.

This 10-week series of experiential seminars meets Sundays from 9am-3pm 
at Cal Poly's Permaculture Center and Organic Farm. The series benefits 
all people interested in sustainable living practices, and includes 
practical training for gardeners, land managers, farmers, architects, 
planners, community service volunteers, environmental educators, and 
students. 

If you’re interested in clean air, water, healthy food and community, 
this course is for you.

Sessions include presentations, training, and "learn-by-doing" 
collaboration with permaculture designers, Cal Poly professors, 
landscape professionals, and community leaders dedicated to restorative 
ecological practices. An information packet with more detailed 
scheduling will be sent upon request.

Examples of topics covered:

Soil building, water harvesting, solar technologies, patterns in nature, 
holistic management, ecological food systems, food forestry, straw bale 
construction, chicken “tractors”, worm ranching, and community design. 
Also included are field trips to permaculture sites of interest.

Participants can register for single sessions, or the whole series which 
includes an accredited Certificate of Completion and 5 continuing 
education units (CEUs). We will assist in accomodations for out of town 
participants. Certification qualifies trainees for work-exchange 
privileges for the two-week residential Permaculture Design Course 
beginning Summer Solstice.

Instructor Bios:

LARRY SANTOYO is one of this nation's premier Permaculture designers and
teachers, and is a long-time colleague of Permaculture pioneer, Bill
Mollison. Larry's unique insight and humor embodies Permaculture oral
tradition at its finest . Check out his website at www.permaearth.org.

AKIVA WERBALOWSKY develops and manages the Ecological Agriculture
Program at Cal Poly and has been growing food his whole life. With
degrees from the University of Virginia and UCSB, Akiva has developed
community-based ecological programs nationwide, and is dedicated to
bioregional wellness and stewardship on the central coast.

JULIAN KAYNE is the site director for Cal Poly Compost, grows and
markets organic food, and specializes in reforestation though farming.
With a biology degree from UCSB, Julian is a designer for the Cal Poly
Permaculture Center,  possibly the finest certified-organic university 
Permaculture site in the nation.

There will be many guest instructors.
*********************************************************************

10-week series Program Details:

All who regester receive a packet of additional information. Space is
limited and this course will be popular. Early registration is advised.

Cost:

$49/session

$349 for 10 session series (certificate is additional $40)

Scholarship will be possible if sponsors come forward. Please consider
sponsoring scholarships for those who could not otherwise participate.

Families with children welcome (free under age 12)
Plan to bring a lunch, beverage, sunscreen, garden attire, footware, and
hat. 

SYLLABUS and SESSION FORMAT:

Topics are arranged for appropriateness to weather and site-specific
conditions.

Our senior instructor is Larry Santoyo. Program coordination is by Akiva 
Werbalowsky, assisted by Julian Kayne.

Invited guest intructors include: Simon Henderson, Doug Goslin, Cary 
Yamashiro, Lee Osbaldeston, Penny Livingston, Skip Schuckman, Scott 
Pittman, Sandy Messori, Bill Roley,  Eric Werbalowsky, Justin Grunewald, 
Bill Mollison, Rob Kimmel, Paul Stamets, Karyn Kwid, Doug Williams, 
Polly Cooper, Bob Theis, Ken Haggard, Keith Johnson, Richard Smith, and 
many more. (This notice serves as an invitation to those experienced 
permaculturalists not yet contacted to come and share Sundays with us at 
Cal Poly. Please contact Akiva.)

Schedule of Sessions for Spring 1998

SPECIAL EVENT
Saturday March 28 @ 2 pm - Permaculture Open House at Cal Poly
12pm to 6pm: Lectures on permaculture topics by upcoming instructors
6pm        : Organic dinner and fiesta

Don't miss this one-time celebration!

1) Sunday March 29 @ 9am
Introduction to Permaculture, continuing celebration of restorative 
ecological practices. Many special guest presenters. 

2) Sunday April 5 @ 9am -  Nature as Teacher - Guild Observation,
Analysis, and Understanding

Location: Cal Poly Campus - creek, hills, ponds, etc.

3) Sunday April 19 @ 9pm -  Cultivating Soil Fertility 

Activities: Sheet mulching, worm ranching, resource gathering,  mulch 
gardening, compost piles. Students will receive starter worm kit.

4) Sunday April 26 @ 9pm -  Water Harvesting - Permaculture Hydrology 

Activities: Overview of waterharvesting techniques and hands on 
construction of harvesting device, i.e. swales, cistern, ferro-cement 
tanks.

5) Sunday May 3 @  9pm -  Permaculture Animals  

Activities: Overview of role of animals in permaculture design and food 
raising. Using animals' innate characteristics as design features in a 
system.

6) Sunday May 10 @ 9pm -  Permaculture Garden Design:

Activities: Analyzing and designing a garden space using PC methods. 
Students will design a garden for class site or homesite.

7) Sunday May 17 @ 9pm -  Sculpting with Earth 

Activities: Cob, claypot irrigation, flowforms. Hands-on construction of 
claypot irrigation jug or cob oven.

8) Sunday May 24 @ 9am -  Strawbale Construction 

Activities: Strawbales as housing, shelter for plants, amphitheatre 
construction. Building with strawbales.

9)Sunday May 31 @ 9am -  Community Interdependence Skills 

Activities: Soap making, basketry, community scale industry

10) Sunday June 7 @ 9am-  Seed selection and saving 

Activities: Selection criteria for adapting plants to your site, seed 
harvesting and storage techniques

4pm - Permaculture Party and Award Ceremony

Daily Schedule

9:00: Arrival, session orientation
9:30: Morning presentation, question and answer
11:00: Learn-by- doing activities/practical instruction
12-1: Lunch
1:00: Afternoon presentation, question and answer
2:30: Learn-by-doing activities/practical instruction
3:00: Finish

Thank you for caring about this work.

PLEASE NOTE: You will be sent a free Course Catalog by calling Cal Poly 
Extended Education at (805)-756-2053

Four Easy Ways to Register
                                 
Telephone 
The office is open during the following hours:            

       MWF 8:00am - 4:30pm 
       TTh    8:00am - 6:00pm 

VISA/MC or purchase orders only.  Please have             
your credit card number ready when you call.  Voice      
mail is available after hours and weekends.                  
Call: (805) 756-2053 
           
   By Mail: 
Print and Fill out this registration form and mail it 
with a check (payable to Cal Poly Extended 
Education), money order or charge card number 
(NO CASH, please). 

Mail to:  Cal Poly 
          Extended Education 
         San Luis Obispo, CA 93407 

   Fax 
Print and Fill out the registration form and fax it any time, 
24 hours a day.  VISA/MC or purchase orders 
only. 

Fax:  (805) 756-5933 

In Person 
Visit our office: 

MWF 8:00am - 4:30pm 
TTh    8:00am - 6:00pm 

Office:    First Floor, Jespersen Hall 
           Building 116, Room 101 

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com