Subject: Re: comfrey tendencies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 18:58:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Hether, 
Interesting timing on your post as just today I was cutting huge leaves of
comfrey and masses of them... some steeping in olive oil as an ingredient
for soap and the rest layering on the garden or into compost.  I'm in a dry
zone 3-4 and 3 years ago planted lots of root section cuttings on the outer
edges of the vegetable garden to act as a foil for grasshoppers which didn't
do much at all the 'year of the grasshoppers' and since, when just a few
marauders come through, has done fairly well by attracting the hoppers first
(they do seem to love and go for the comfrey).  

 When I was living in the Pacific NW, comfrey would spread like crazy. With
the moisture and mild climate there, it was difficult to eradicate once it
began to take over.  Here, where it is drier, it spreads less though the
plants do get *gigantic*.  I would allow PLENTY of space for them to spawl
in all directions.  It is this sprawling habit that would make for its
excellence as a living mulch. I cut them back 3-4 times a growing season to
use in compost or as a cut mulch material as well as soap ingredient. I
would suggest you be pretty conservative in your use of it close into
vegetable and flower beds or anywhere you are trying to establish delineated
borders or pathways. Perhaps try just one or two first and see how they do
in your particular environment. I would certainly use them sparingly in a
hedge type of arrangement bordering beds..They would be creating shade and
competing for space before you know it, especially since I just noticed you
mentioned abundant water. Comfrey is great off on it's own sprawling to it's
hearts content and not being expected to stay contained in anyway.

Vicki

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 13:07:06 -0400 (EDT)

While the growing season is happening, comfrey can be cut back every few
weeks to make excellent additions to your composting and mulching
opportunities. It comes back every year and grows every more vigorously.
Leaving some to flower also attracts nice samples of insects and some
hummingbirds no less (don't ask me why). Probably more accurate would be to
say that our resident rufus makes passes at it now and then.

I've had good luck with it in New England, 4,500' altitude in Arizona and
here.

Milo Clark
Berkeley CA USA

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:05:32 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/15/97 6:47:58 AM, you wrote:

>thanks to you all that have had suggestions about comfrey
>
>a point of clarification - i'm in Wisonsin szone 4 (first snowshower of
>the season last night!)  and the site zone i'm putting the comfrey in is
>either 2 or 3. We've just planted a bunch in our nut orchard which right
>now is a field of grasses with the trees poking out above. Did a range
>with proximity to the trees, some close in (2-3 ft)on the edge of the
>surrounding mulch, then the rst further away as landfmark or space
>fillers. We just heeled em in - ave. 3in root portions from a vibrant 5
>yr old patch. see if they make it up thru the sod come spring.     
>-hether-

Maybe in a few years you will post or publish (consider our Journal) how the
trees fare with comfrey competition.  There are a lot of unsubstantiated
claims that it doesn't compete with trees but it sure fights a losing battle
with our sabal palms, mainly moisture competition.  Around fruit trees, I'd
mow the comfrey close to the ground in dry years.  This should limit the
mosture it requires for transpiration.  Meanwhile, we need someone to really
and truely see if comfrey benefits fruit and nut trees as people are guessing
it does. 

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email.  Next starts in Oct. 1997. Internships available.
Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
 [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.