Subject: Increasing soil microbial activity

From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:56:31 -0800

I'd like to initiate a discussion on methods of increasing microbial
populations in the solum.  In the case of my site (river valley
inland/coastal NW WA) the A & B horizons of the soil are heavy clay with
only a small amount of humus accumulation on the surface.  Geologically
speaking, this area is very young and we haven't had plant cover long
enough to develop deep humus layers and their associated diverse microbial
populations (outside of the forests that is).  The pioneer species here
(grasses and woody, taprooted herbs) are doing their job conditioning the
ground with biomass and mineral accumulation but I still sense that
conditions are not yet quite right yet for strong populations of soil
fauna.  I'd like to "force" their succession somewhat to create a more
vital and nutrient rich substrate to receive future plantings.
	There are numerous ways to foster greater soil microbial populations:
sheet mulching, spraying with simple sugars (molasses, etc.), ranging
animals or using enzyme rich animal manure, etc., etc.  I invite people to
share their strategies for cultivating the garden beneath the soil.

								Regards,
								Kirk Hanson

Kirk Hanson
C/O Permaculture West
72 Mattson Rd.
Oakville, WA 98568
ph./fx. (360) 273-7117
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:11:47 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Perhaps someone out there can save me some time. I'm looking to find my
homestead farm right now, where I hope to apply many of the principles
espoused here.
I'm looking in several temperate zone Bioregions, so it's difficult trying to
gather up much of the detailed knowledge of all the places under
consideration.
So....any information on the geology, predominant soils, mineral composition
of the Ozark area would be most appreciated. Or perhaps you could direct me
to sites , or contacts that would be helpful.  Thank you very much. happy
Thanksgiving to all. frank

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 20:02:14 -0800 (PST)

I had made a mental note about Daikon for spring planting at Jack's
recommendation since he extolled the virtues of a variety he had growing
(Sakuragima) as a tasty, drought resistant and hardy source of greens as
well as root. All the more reason after hearing your technique, Scott, to
plant plenty as there is an ongoing challenge here at 7300 feet in the
Sangre de Christos of northern New Mexico to keep the soil soft enough for
roots to penetrate! 

One would have already had deep, loose soil in the Pacific Northwest after 4
years of building the soil such as I have.  Here it is not the case. Though
now I am able to dig the earth whereas when I dug my first garden bed here,
a fork would not even penetrate, it is still far from a loose, friable
tilth. SO, this year, after actually considering double-digging, I got over
my temporary lapse of sanity and started to gather materials. 

Jack's been here and is helping by using a pick to loosen the surface on the
former pathways that I am turning into growing areas. Even in the pathways
we could see the work the worms had been doing under a cover of comfrey
leaves and straw. Meanwhile I am bringing in bags and bags of gathered
leaves mixed with grass clippings which I am spreading on as thickly as the
amount I have allows.  I got a huge load of fresh horse manure lightly mixed
with shavings.  The biodynamic folks tell us that piling on the fresh manure
is a wonderful way to bring life-force to the soil.

Heaped on top of the leaves is a good 4" layer of poop.  Spread on top of
that is a covering of rotted hay and then another 4" of manure.  The whole
thing is topped off with a deep blanket of rotted hay.  Under all this
wonderful layered worm food are the many clovers, rye grass, medicago, nitro
alfalfa that I let grow throughout the gardens and then piled compost and
these layered materials right on top.  Little by little the gardens are
getting covered and so far they are piled about 10 inches high.  With ample
snow  and moisture, it will break down and feed LOTS of hungry worms and
provide rich and softer soil...

I have been enjoying the discussion that originated with reference to Bose's
research. Long ago, as a horticulturist working in a huge greenhouse/nursery
complex I came across 'The Secret Life of Plants', a book that rang so true
for me and validated a way I had been working with plants and inspired me to
explore more. Ever since I have worked with the consciousness of plants
(without any controlled research to back me up, though), I am sure over the
years there have been times that plants have thrived on love and consciously
directed 'good energy'  primarily.

May you know many things for which to give thanks!  Blessings of the season...
Vicki

---

From: YankeePerm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 15:41:01 EST

In a message dated 12/21/97 11:20:01 AM, you wrote:

>Scott:
>
>Can you suggest a source for dikon seed in bulk quantities?  I have a
>plot of heavy clay that was heavily compacted by construction equipment
>traffic.
>
>Woody Wodraska--Seeking Common Ground CSA
>Honeoye Falls, NY          [email-masked]
>"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
>of a comfortable living from a small piece of land." -A. Lincoln

Try R.H. Shumway Seedsman.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email.  One is now underway.  Next Live program:  Paraguay,
8/10-22/98. Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway,
P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA  [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:27:33 -0800 (PST)

At 11:52 PM 11/28/97 +-900, you wrote:
>Hi Vicki
>thanks for your inspiring tale of soil building in the high desert. It 
>sounds like you'll be growing a lot of your own food in the next year or 
>so. Have you tried growing any beans (tepari, pinto, etc.)? Which outdoor 
>plants have been the most successful for you?
>	I haven't seen many garden plants hardier than good ole daikon. Here in 
>central Japan the winters are relatively mild, and daikon grow right 
>through the worst of it. They're real troopers. As a matter of fact, I'm 
>going to eat some right now!
>
>happy digging
>
>Jonathan Bentley
>
>
>
>Dear Jonathan,
I am sorry for the delay in responding.  My computer has had a major
overhaul and I have been out of commission for weeks!

I am looking forward to a growing season resulting in more food production
than it has for these past 4 years, during which time I have been building
towards healthier growing conditions..I keep saying this..perhaps this year
it will be true! The problem here, of course, at this altitude, is that we
have wide fluctuations of temperature.  Daytime can be warm and sunny,
80-mid-90 degrees Farenheit with no humidity and night can dip almost to
freezing. This is quite a challenge for growing as is the baked, hard soil
that is amazingly difficult to work into a deep tilth AND the incessant,
drying winds AND grasshoppers AND frequent drought periods. The sun bakes
everything and the base material being an adobe-like clay makes great brick
and could definitely use some improvement when it comes to digging and growing!

After many years of growing in Oregon and western Washington State, I was
particularly accustomed to optimum conditions..except for the ongoing battle
with the slugs and occasional flooding.  What a change and so much new to
learn in an entirely new environment!

I'm ready to try tepary beans this season, heard from our local CSA growers
that they do well..I finally ate some last year and thought they were
wonderful. Favas have been the most reliable and productive bean for me so
far. (I love favas! Lovely flowers, pretty plants, hardy as can be, great
food both fresh and dried, and nitrogen-fixing to boot!) Bush bean were slow
to start (germination slow with cool nights..I will soak and sprout this
year) but good production once going.  Greens do well here. I have lots of
kales, chard, lots of varieties of oriental greens, lettuces and any other
unusual thing I can find to try. Broccoli and cauliflower grow well.
Interestingly enough, I had the best crop of basil this year I have ever
had. And dill..And flowers..Squash does great if it's put in already
sprouted and the season is long enough.

What doesn't do well is pretty predictable. Tomatoes, chilis, peppers in
general, melons.  Root crops (potatos included) actually do ok in certain
areas, the softer, deeper soil areas. I LOVE cucumbers and am going to do
whatever I can to have lots of them.  Last season they did produce late
and delicious sweet fruit..I think I will have covers for them and it will help.

I look forward to trying Daikon here..In Washington state they got gigantic.
You are fortunate to have a climate that supports year round growing even on
just  few things..I rely on my unheated greenhouse to supply some greens in
winter and trays of sprouts. 

It was fun to spend this time with you talking about growing food..on a cold
winter's night, it makes me warm to think of the sunny, crystalline blue
time outside in the gardens soon to come. What's it like where you are in
Japan? 

 Eat a big ole radish for me.  

Vicki