Subject: rule comment period extended

From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Ackermann)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:39:40 -0500

For those of you fortunate enough not to be exposed to the Federal Register
on a daily basis, here are the details of the extension of the comment
period.....

>< snip ><  (From the Federal Register, Feb. 9, 1998)
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>----

Organic Program; Extension of Comment Period on Proposed Rule

SUMMARY: The Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) is extending the
public comment period on the proposed rule to establish a National Organic
Program (NOP) from March 16, 1998 to April 30, 1998. This proposed rule
was published in the Federal Register on December 16, 1997.

DATES: Comments must be submitted on or before April 30, 1998.

><snip><

Reasons for Granting an Extension

The National Organic Standards Board (NOSB), an advisory board to the
Secretary regarding the program, has requested an extension of the comment
period. NOSB requested an extension to accommodate the timing of the next
NOSB meeting, which NOSB intends to conduct during the week of March
16-20, 1998. The schedules of the individual members of NOSB prevented
holding NOSB meeting prior to March 15. At the meeting, details of which will
be announced shortly in the Federal Register, NOSB intends to review
Committee reports and prepare NOSB comments to the proposed rule for
submission to USDA.

Others have also requested an extension of the comment period. These
individuals and organizations include: State government officials,
manufacturers, and a trade organization representing the organic industry.
Examples of reasons given for requesting an extension of the comment period
include the length and complexity of the proposed rule, and the time required
for commenters to arrange and conduct listening sessions to obtain input from
constituents who will be affected by the finial regulations.

After careful consideration of the requests submitted to the Agency, AMS has
decided to grant an extension of the comment period for an additional 45
days, or until April 30, 1998. This extension of the comment period will
provide interested persons a total of 135
days to review the proposed rule and submit comments. AMS believes that this
45 day extension will provide a sufficient period of time for all commenters so
that a further extension would be unnecessary.

Accordingly, AMS is extending the comment period on the NOP proposed rule
until April 30, 1998.

Authority: 7 U.S.C. 6501-6522.

Dated: February 5, 1998.

Eileen S. Stommes,

Deputy Administrator, Transportation and Marketing.

>< end snip >< ---------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,

Liz

*******************************************************************
Liz Ackermann
Program Support Technician (WebWeaver)
Program Development Office, Research and Graduate Studies
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
[email-masked]         Phone: (540) 231-2455