Subject: [Fwd: Urban Farming Event]

From: John W Irwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 10:12:56 -0500

FYI

Subject: Urban Farming Event
From: [email-masked] (Alma Wynne)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:29:21 EST

Please send out on any Permaculture listserves to which you belong. 
Also, please confirm mission accomplished.

Thanks

City Farming  - Slide Presentation and Discussion 

Michael Ableman
California urban farmer, community organizer, and author
Slide talk on the life of his community farm
and discussion on urban agriculture

Tuesday, February 2, 1999, 3:00 p.m.
Auditorium of The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, 
100 North 20th Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia
Admission is free.

Ableman is the author of a recent book, On Good Land - The Autobiography
of on Urban Farm.  Philadelphia community gardens were featured in his
earlier work, From the Good Earth, A Celebration of Growing Food Around
the World.  Michael will sign books at the end of his talk.

Benefit Reception
Meet Michael Ableman, Help City Farming
 Also February 2, from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.,
 Michael Ableman will be the honored guest at an hors d’oeuvre and cash
bar reception to benefit the Inner City Growers Association at  Jack’s
Firehouse, 2130 Fairmount Avenue, Philadelphia. 
Tickets are $15 reserved in advance. 
For reception reservations or information contact Suzanne Milshaw at
215-569-4129.

These events are sponsored by the Inner City Growers Association, a new
Philadelphia-based organization working on practical ways to further
commercial urban agriculture.

The members of ICGA would like to thank The Pennsylvania Horticultural
Society and Jack’s Firehouse for generously providing space, personnel,
and delectables in this effort to grow urban agriculture. 

Michael Ableman is the founder of the Center for Urban Agriculture at
Fairview Gardens,  in Goleta, CA, a suburb of Santa Barbara.  This 12 1/2
acre organic farm is surrounded by tract houses and strip malls, raises
over 100 varieties of fruits & vegetables, employs more than a dozen
people, and feeds 500 families.

Over the past decade, through tours, classes, a community supported
agriculture program, an on site farm stand,  a summer concert series, and
other events and projects, the farm has become an important
community/education center and national model for urban agriculture.

Ableman's many and varied other projects include his first book, From the
Good Earth (in which Philadelphia community gardens are featured);
establishing food gardens at an AIDS hospice, a school, and a housing
project in Watts; appearing on Victory Garden, on All Things Considered,
and in National Geographic.  He has also held numerous speaking
engagements throughout North America and Europe.

The Inner City Growers Association organized during the summer of l998. 
Among the group's members are representatives of  two North Philadelphia
farms: Philaberry Farms and Sea Change, also the Farmers' Market Trust,
The Oley Institute, and others interested in urban agriculture. 

ICGA has begun connecting potential urban farmers with
- avenues to land and warehouse space for projects such as mushroom and
fish farming. 
- these new entrepreneurs with what each might need for best success: 
business and technical skills,   government agencies, financial
assistance, and marketing assistance.  
- individuals with meaningful, profitable livelihoods while creating jobs
for others.  
- communities to lush, productive greenspace, more financial and food
security, and to the healing power of connection to one's food source.

ICGA is a project of The Oley Institute whose mission is to develop human
environments which foster personal independence, community, spirituality
and respect for the Earth.   

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]