Subject: Irish sugar (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 21:12:48 -0400 (EDT)

Heather, Ute, Mud, and others:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:21:06 +0000
From: Maroc <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Irish sugar

Those cowardly faceless people had better beware, remember Novartis has
threatened to withhold non-GMO sugar beet seed if there is continued
biotech resistance in Ireland.

MONSANTO IRISH GM SUGAR BEET DAMAGED BY CHEMICALS -REPORT
August 6, 1999
Dow Jones/ Reuters
DUBLIN-- The Irish Times was cited as reporting Friday about 60% of a
Monsanto (MTC) trial site of genetically-modified sugar beet in
southeastern Ireland has been contaminated by what appeared to be a
petroleum-based chemical that had been sprayed on the crop.
The story adds that no group claimed responsibility for the alleged
attack, and it was unclear when the incident  took place.
The Irish Times quoted Dr. Patrick O'Reilly, Monsanto's business manager
in Ireland, as saying the attack was "a cowardly act carried out by
faceless people."
Separately, a number of groups opposed to GM foods plan to protest at a
site of another GM sugar beet trial in Cork on Sunday.
Irish environmental group Genetic Concern spokeswoman Sadhbh O'Neill was
cited as saying that while it did not itself engage in direct action
against trial crops, it understood that some people were "very frustrated
by the regulatory processes. ... Over 3,500 people in this country
objected to these field trials but they were approved by the authorities
nonetheless. These trials -- and there are currently four under way in
Ireland -- are not
being conducted by independent scientists but by the company itself. We
don't believe the resultant analyses are being monitored closely enough by
the authorities."

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]