Subject: [permaculture] Re: Hardy Kiwi

From: Cathy Gorrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 11:02:35 +1000

>I was thinking of starting to grow hardy kiwi. Does anyone have any
>experience with thim, such as how big of a trellis would I need. Also, is
>there enough shade to grow a shade lover such as ginseng. How much
>maintenence is needed. Thanks in advance for your answers. Rick
>
>

By hardy Kiwi, do you mean Kiwi Fruit? If so, I can share a little 
about them. We bought a garden with an established Kiwi about 3 years 
ago in a coolish climate (frosts in winter, but otherwise full sun). 
Just the one pair of plants spreads from the main trunk about 5m in 
two directions. It is supported by a very solid metal piping frame. 
At this size it is very heavy and attached very tightly.  As soon as 
the fruit has set be ruthless with the male tendrils, they will 
attach to anything nearby and grab on for dear life. They had got 
about 5m up a nearby gum and was strangling it when we arrived. More 
importantly they are taking nutrients away from the fruit.

I'm sure others control their Kiwi better, but we don't do much to 
ours in the way of maintenence (except for cutting back the tendrils) 
and it yields great crops and fabulously sweet fruit. Watch out for 
birds, they absolutely love Kiwi fruit.
Hope this is useful.

Cathy

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]