Subject: Re: Tires

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:39:24 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/99 2:14:44 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

<<I was re-reading "Urban Permaculture" and started thinking about the
growing potatoes in tires idea. I have heard of tires being used as
planters before. I was a little concerned that some strange chemical
from tires might get into the soil and then into the plant. Does anyone
know if there is anything to be cautious of when planting in tires? Any
feedback would be appreciated. Much thanks, 
Kevin Snorf

Tires are a notorious source of cadmium and are very dangerous to use in 
gardens or as structures in water supply.  I tried to get Bill to back off on 
that one in 1981, but  he had already published the idea and just dug in.  He 
didn't want to hear it.  Well, we all have our quirks.  Hopefully, mine and 
yours won't poison anyone.  DO NOT USE TIRES AROUND FOOD AND WATER.  Cadmium 
is extremely toxic.  Since tires are made of volatile organics, one assumes 
that other nasties are released too, but the cadmium is definite, unless tire 
manufacturing has changed in recent years.  It is added to the tire as part 
of measures to make the tire resist wearing out--last longer.  So if it 
weren't so toxic, it would be a good thing.  Ah, well....

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses, 
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence 
courses via email.  Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, 
Sparr FL 32192 USA  Internships. [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at 
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers 
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html