Subject: Re: African ( and Brazilian) deserts

From: georg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:14:11 +0200

>Marsha wrote:
>> ( although I have a personal aversion to machines
>> tearing the soil, it seems somehow to "hurt").
>
>A few years ago I had an experience of this sort.  We had a contractor with
>some large machinery grade our driveway, dig out a pond and put in a leach
>field / septic system.  The soil removed from the pond site and the road
>grading went to the leach field which had to have a foot of fill over the
>entire area.  We also used the pond to satisfy our fire water holding
>requirement.  At the time this all seemed like a good idea.  And all this
>before running into Permaculture, I might add.
>
>When I came to the site after the tractors had begun to be used I had a
>very strong physical reaction to seeing the land torn up.  I got very
>........

one of the things that i have found to work very well with All kinds of
'disturbing interference' with nature (including humans, but less so), is
to tell the place, the trees, whatever is involved - tell them in advance
what is going to happen, why you are doing this, and share your honest
(usually mixed) emotions with them, the trees, place etc. talk to them as
if they were people, people who don't know anything about technology, but
who are sensitive and care about you.

i do not know if this actually does make a difference to the place, but
chances are, that you (like everyone i know who applies this) will feel
much better about it.

not my invention, btw, old indigenuous technique.

*

georg

********
follow your heart -
it is the only way to heaven on earth.. .  .
******************* * * *  *   *    *      *         *

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]