Subject: Rodale Institute Professional Training - NEW PRICE (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:59:37 -0400 (EDT)

--------------------------------------------------------------
 Lawrence F. London, Jr. - InterGarden - Venaura Farm
 mailto:[email-masked] - mailto:[email-masked]
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden/permaculture.html
--------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:25:16 -0400
From: Bill Landesman <[email-masked]>
To: 'AS-PTA - Centro de Documentacao' <[email-masked]>,
    'Fred Zahradnik' <[email-masked]>,
    'Greg Bowman' <[email-masked]>,
    "'Lawrence F. London, Jr.'" <[email-masked]>,
    'FADR RARC' <[email-masked]>,
    'Richard Niesenbaum' <[email-masked]>,
    'National Organic Directory' <[email-masked]>,
    'Senegal RARC' <[email-masked]>,
    "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Rodale Institute Professional Training - NEW PRICE

REGENERATIVE AGRICULTURE FOR THE 21st CENTURY
Rodale Institute's Natural Resource
Management Professional Training Series
October 28 - 31, 1997

The Rodale Institute, which for three generations has been making the vital
connections between Healthy Soil, Healthy Food and Healthy People,
announces the opportunity for interested individuals and institutions to
participate in the first of its Natural Resource Management Training
Series, Regenerative Agriculture for the 21st Century.

The focus of the seminar will be on the use of regenerative technologies
for enhancing soil fertility and managing natural resources, as well as on
the relationship between soil health and human health.  Utilizing the case
study approach, participants will have the opportunity to gain knowledge
and practical experience directly from the expertise of the Rodale
Institute's Regenerative Agriculture Research Centers staff, including such
topics as Soil Conservation from Senegal, West Africa, Community Forest
Concessions, Peten, Guatemala, and Composting and Soil Health from Rodale
Institute's Experimental Farm in Kutztown, PA.

The purpose of this seminar is to familiarize emerging professionals in the
fields of agriculture, international and community development, and natural
resource management with concepts of regenerative agriculture technologies
that recognize the interdependency between agriculture, human health and
environmental responsibility.  Recognizing that many of the solutions to
the world's health problems are linked to our agricultural production and
distributions systems, a new agenda for food and agricultural development
is needed, one for a "greener revolution" directed at increasing the
production of nutritionally adequate food supplies in ways that protect and
maintain community health, socioeconomic environments, and ecological
sustainability.

The seminar is designed to be participatory and will make the transition
from scientific research to practical field experience.  The seminar should
be particularly beneficial for NGO's, international development agencies,
prospective or returned Peace Corps Volunteers, and students who plan to
work in international development and project management.

Cost of the four day training is $450.00.  Price includes registration, all
workshop activities, materials, lunch each day, and reception. Those who
are unable to attend the entire workshop may  attend individual workshop
days at a rate of $150/day. Full payment must be received by October 14. If
you need to cancel, registration fee less than $25 service charge per
person will be refunded if cancellation is made more than one week in
advance.

Once payment is received, participants will receive an information packet
which will include a full schedule of workshop events, hotel information,
maps to the Rodale Institute and advance reading materials. Participants
are responsible for making their own hotel reservations.

Please make checks payable to "Rodale Institute" and mail to:
NRM, The Rodale Institute,
611 Siegfriedale Rd, Kutztown, PA  19530.
For more information  please call John Sabella at (919) 795-5243 or e-mail
[email-masked]

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
Tuesday, October 28
Day one will focus on the theoretical framework of Regenerative
Agriculture, Food Systems and the implications to Human Health.

Regenerative Agriculture: An Historical and Philosophical Perspective
A visionary in rural Pennsylvania:
the life and times of J.I. Rodale
Presenters:  Anthony Rodale, Vice-Chairman & John Haberern, President,
Rodale Institute

Regenerative Food Production & Distribution Systems
Presenter: Ms. Jennifer Abel: Program Manager, Rodale Institute

Health, Culture, and Agriculture: Healing the Planet; Healing Ourselves
The relationships of human health to the land, using perspectives from
Native American and African-based cultures
Presenter: Dr. Gay Wilentz: Professor of Ethnic Studies, East Carolina
University

Gender and Regenerative Agriculture: A new Paradigm for the 21st Century
Presenters: Dr. Gay Wilentz & Ms. Vore Seck: Director, Senegal Regenerative
Agriculture Resource Center

Evening Presentation
The Rodale Institute/Muhlenberg College Public Seminar
Environmental/Natural Resource Management Through The Lens of Other Cultures

Wednesday, October 29
Day two: Utilizing the case-study approach, we will examine critical issues
relating to Natural Resource Management.

Case Study Moderator: Dr John Sabella, Training & Education Coordinator,
International Programs, Rodale Institute

Stabilizing Shifting Cultivation in Tropical Forests
Projecto Centro Maya, Peten, Guatemala
Presenter: Ing. Mauro Salazar: Coordinator
for Forestry Management

Soil Conservation and Regeneration in the Sahel
Rodale's Regenerative Agriculture Resource
Center, Senegal, West Africa
Presenter: Ms. Vore Seck: Director

Thursday, October 30
Day three will focus on the use of Analytical Frameworks for the Design and
Evaluation of Natural Resource Management Projects

Project Implementation and Data Collection
Participatory Monitoring and Evaluation
Presenter: Dr. Jonathon Landeck:  International  Programs, Rodale Institute

Data Management and Analysis
Diffusion of Results:  New areas for Collaborative
Research & Development
Presenter: Dr. Amadou Diop:  Interrnational Programs, Rodale Institute

Friday, October 31
Day four will focus on Soil Health and Regeneration

Composting
Principals  of Compost Management; Compost site design; Evaluating Compost
Quality; Management strategies
Presenter: Cary Oshins:  Compost Management Specialist, Rodale Institute

Healthy Soil
Composition, Structure and Texture; Organic matter; Soil Micro-Organisms;
Natural soil amendments

Soil Building, Conservation & Management
Legume's, Cover Crops and Green Manure; Rotational  Cropping; Vermiculture
Presenter: Dr. Laurie Drinkwater: Coordinator for U.S.A. Programs, Rodale
Institute