Subject: Yeomans Keyline Plow, MapInfo Professional 4.1

From: "Australia Felix" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 20:35:03 +1100

AUSTRALIA FELIX

LandPlanning Consultants

Project Management, Design & Planning Services & Products

for Sustainable & Productive Land-Use

5/1/1998

Re: Yeomans Keyline Plow, MapInfo Professional 4.1

Hello Rhys,

I trust that this greets you well! Thank you for your response. 

1. We use only one shank on the Yeomans to minimise the amount of horsepower that we need, and also to maximise the depth therefore that we can cultivate. Another problem encountered has been that when we use two or three shanks close together at depth, we get "slabbing" or separation of A-B Horizons particularly in duplex soils. A positive effect of the Yeomans Bunyip Point (WSB1) is the amount of subsoil shattering that is causes particularly in dry soil. We have found that an area of up to 18" around the point will be shattered, which when done at around 4-5kmh is a very gentle way of decompacting subsoils as is necessary for establishing perennial tree crops (especially in dryland conditions) Our soil core testing (to around 1m) prior to cultivation reveals the depth that we should cultivate to, and should we encounter deeper B horizons, as is often the case on the heavier, flatter alluvial country we work in, then we have an extended Yeomans Slipper Imp shank that goes to around 800mm using a slightly larger tractor (65hp). Were we to need to go any deeper (as some of our clients dictate !!) then we get a 250hp dozer in at around $140/hr (with its comensurate energy consumption, as opposed to our charge of $70/hr) to do the job. The result from using a dozer let's say is very agricultural with a lot of sub soil riding up the face of the ripper, mixing with the top soil as a result of both the width of the dozer ripper shank and the angle of the point. The Yeomans shank is shaped like a knife and cuts through the ground with much greater ease and the bunyip point is angled at around 11 degrees (don't quote me on that) which at once reduces horsepower requirements, and eliminates or soil profile mixing.  Yeomans have available a winged point as well that we haven't used which I believe is use in cropping conditions in deep self-mulching soils and the like.

2. Yes we do need a web page as we believe that many could benefit from seeing some of the work we have done over the last 5 years on over 520 properties throughout Australia. We have been taking zillions of photos of all of our projects so that their development would in the future have some educational value. When we started the web wasn't around, and now its obviously the best medium to show our stuff !! We are currently working on producing our first web page in mid February this year to coincide with the Seymour Alternative Farming Expo, which we will again be attending. 

3. We use MapInfo Professional 4.1 to produce all of our client plans. The process is pretty simple. 

a. Scan in the raster images: Aerial Photo, topographic, land capability data

b. Geographically register the rasters ie. using the Australia Map Grid (AMG) geographically position the raster images on the earth

c. Create layers of different information using the plan/map making facilities of the software for layering over the base raster image ie. Aerial Photo. Layers usually include: contours, land capability/class boundaries, soil types, forestry, tree crops, fences/boundary, crops, buildings, drainage lines, dams/irrigation layouts, roads and access etc. etc.

d. Using the MapInfo layout facility we then layout our plan together with legends, photographic inserts, company logo, client name and property details. We then use a A3 Canon 4550 colour printer to produce the plan which is then inserted into the plan documentation or report.

Our whole works process, or our "works pattern" as we describe it, is documented in our Australia Felix Systems Manual. This systemises the processes of all of our work, from the point of initial client contact and how we answer the phone, right through to putting designs together, site analysis, dealing with contractors, using the Yeomans Plow etc. This manual will be supplied as part of the notes for the course we will run at the Permaculture Institute in June/July 1998. 

Please send any queries to this news group or to us here on [email-masked]  

Cheers

Yours and Growing

Darren J. Doherty

Applied Diploma of Permaculture Design, Permaculture Institute (1995)

Permaculture Design Certificate, Permaculture Institute (1993, 1995)

Whole Farm Planning Certificate (Train the Trainer), University of Melbourne (1995)

Principal Australia Felix LandPlanning Consultants

Chairman of Directors GIFT (Investments) Pty. Ltd.

President Box Ironbark Farm Forestry Network Inc.

---

From: YankeePerm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:45:18 EST

Does anyone know why posts from Australia often come through as black on black
(no Kidding).  If you select the entire post and hit reply it shows up and you
can read it.  Obviously you can copy it and paste it to a word processing
program, too, but that takes longer.

Is this only a problem on AOL or do others experience it?

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email.  One is now underway.  Next Live program:  Paraguay,
8/10-22/98. Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway,
P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA  [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html

---

From: FionaNyx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 13:08:31 EST

My version of this post (i subscribed to the list) came up just like the
others do.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 17:16:08 -0800 (PST)

>Is this only a problem on AOL or do others experience it?

Hi Dan,
I am on IGC and have never experienced the phenomena that you refer to with
Aussie posts.
*************************************************************************
<[email-masked]>
Permaculture Institute
Scott & Arina Pittman 
PO Box 3702
Pojoaque, NM 87501

Ingenio Patet Campus

---

From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 22:09:22 -0000

Dear Dan,

I do not have that problem, using IOL (Ireland On Line). The Australia
Felix mails came through fine.

Greetings.
UteB

----------
> From: YankeePerm <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
> Subject: Re:  Yeomans Keyline Plow, MapInfo Professional 4.1
> Date: 05 January 1998 17:45
>

---

From: FranksFarm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:31:06 EST

Hey All,

Dan, I too have had posts from various locations turn up with other background
colors...green, black, or sometimes a dark purple. I have AOL too...don't know
why this happens either. And it's not consistent...sometimes posts from that
poster show up fine! Beats me.
Perhaps some computer guru can explain it. frank