Subject: Re(2): Roundup

From: [email-masked] (permaculture-mg Conference @ txinfinet.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 98 23:15:03 CDT

[email-masked] writes:
In accordance with a general trend of the last 10 - 15 years, Monsanto
Chemical Co. (maker of Roundup herbicide) is a major owner of seed
companies and breeding programs. 

Monsanto came out in the last year or so with a cotton variety which is
designed to work in conjunction with Roundup. Weeds are becoming immune to
herbicides at current application rates, just as pests are becoming immune
to pesticides. Roundup proudly advertises that its new cotton can be dosed
with twice the previously-tolerated levels of Roundup, so that instead of
using your head to deal with herbicide-tolerant weeds, you can just use
twice as much Roundup!
 
Interesting thing that I've heard about Roundup-Ready cotton:  growers have
been experiencing major losses in the form of cotton bolls falling off before
they're ready for picking.  

Of course, this cotton was one of their genetically engineered "wonder
products".  

I don't have the reference handy  on the problems farmers have had with it,
but try Steve Sprinkel at [email-masked] or Judy Kew at
[email-masked].  They're both quite involved in the anti-genetic
engineered foods world.   I'm sure they'd be able to point you at a reference
or five.  

BC

--

Bill Christensen
[email-masked]
Sustainable Building Sourcebook at http://www.greenbuilder.com/sourcebook/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sustainable Sources: Internet Services with an Environmental Perspective
           Telnet://fc.greenbuilder.com:3000
             WWW  http://www.greenbuilder.com