Subject: Kinship Gardening

From: Kirby Fry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:34:38 -0400

Hi Miekal,

I noticed you mentioning Kapuler and Brentmar's work regarding
co-evolutionary gardening.  This is a subject I've been interested in for a
few years now after hearing Alan speak in San Francisco in '94.

We hope to get a fair representation of leguminous trees that grow well in
our region, central Texas.  It's hot and humid and close to being
subtropical.  I've already got several varieties of seeds and am looking
for more.  The leguminous trees will be planted directly by seed into our
swales which we hope to install this fall.

Direct seeding swales with productive trees is also another project we're
looking into for restoring lands that have been strip mined here in Texas
for lignite coal.  Mixes of seeds could be broadcast over swaled and
unswaled areas from an air plane as well as by hand.  Maybe some of the
Light Hawk pilots would be interested.

Have you had any experience with making kinship or co-evolutionary gardens?
 Take care for now.

        KIRBY [@ Cross Timbers Permaculture Inst. on Lake Buchanan, TX;
512-756-7878; web address csf.colorado.edu/perma/]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:51:55 -0700 (PDT)

>Hi Kirb..
>Nice to see you on the mailing list..
>I spent some time with Olafur last summer at his place in Oregon..he has
formerly been on the list that preceded this one though I haven't see his
name lately..(Olaf, are you there?) They were going through very difficult
legal things with the land they were on but had plans and some progress
towards gardens based on the kinship mapping of families of plants.  I was
waiting to get the maps from him when he sort of disappeared in the
intensity of things but I happily found the maps throughout the Deep
Diversity Seed Catalog which is arranged based on the Kinship/Families.
It's all pretty fascinating to study and imagine (and create) gardens based
on the same. Address is P.O. Box 15700, Santa Fe, NM 87506-5700..send $4.00
>
>How's the new place? Love to Inger and Celeste..
>Vicki
>
>
>