Subject: Fwd: unrelated to maple syrup or roofs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 09:14:11 EST

I've asked this poster to be a bit more specific regarding the locality.
Meanwhile, I'm sending this along in case anyone on this list is doing
landscaping in the area.  I've already prosposed a workshop to design a long-
term solution that's more sustainable, and I've already sugested sheep, so
those bases are covered.  Please do not reply to me (I'll delete the email pro
forma) but to the original poster: [email-masked]

Dan Hemenway

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email.  Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA  Internships. [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html

Subject: unrelated to maple syrup or roofs
From: CN <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:31:57 -0500

Dan,

I've been meaning to post this question to the whole list, but since your
business in called Yankee Permaculture I'm going to try you first.

A local college that I am vaguely affiliated with, St.Lawrence University,
in Northern New York State, has a student group which is trying very hard
to get the grounds department to stop using pesticides and herbicides on
campus.  Of course, the University wants the place to look "good" for
alumni so they regularly douse all the lawns, trees, and walkways.

I think if there was a commercial outfit, or consultant who could
"guarantee" the grounds department that they could have nice green lawns
etc. without chemicals, that they might try it.  They are not going to
believe a bunch of their own students.  Do you know of such
landscaping/lawn care companies that would be willing to take on such a
client?  Do you know whether it would cost a lot more than they are
spending right now?  Perhaps if the students presented a list of qualified
companies, the University would actually look into hiring one of them.  I
think the University would want to use it's own employees for the actual
implementation, so the company would be more an advisory or consulting
relationship than actually going out and spreading the compost and mulch.
By the way, the university has a large horse riding stable which generates
mountains of wonderful compost-ready manure.  They also own a 18 hole golf
course, which might have to be a 2md stage. waiting for success with
organic campus landscaping before they would be ready to give up poisons.

Chris Neurath

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 09:14:11 EST

Dan Hemenway

Dan,

Chris Neurath