Subject: Re: eco-tourism

From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:43:09 +1100

thanks for the info-
I saw a great little greenhouse made of willow, at  the YHA
near CAT in Wales,  it was about 10 years old and the willow cuttings had
not suckered.
it turned out to be more resistant to damage than a conventional structure
of dead wood.
APRIL
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Sunday, 9 November 1997 9:15
Subject: Re: eco-tourism

>Dear April, this might be of interest:
>I also have more stuff in German but no time right now to dig it up and
>translate. (I've been planting willows today and have neglected my other
>work. If the willows grew as fast as deadlines are approaching I'd be
>sitting in a jungle...).
>Some other time...
>UteB
>
>
>                        THE BULLETIN
>The Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe
>                Volume 4, Number1, Spring 1994
>
>ECEAT PROMOTES SUSTAINABLE TOURISM
>The European Center for Ecological Agriculture and Tourism
>(ECEAT) is encouraging sustainable tourism by organizing
>holidays on organic farms in Central and Eastern Europe. This
>summer European tourists will have the opportunity to camp or
>lodge on an ecological farm in nearly every country of the
>Region. This project was initiated by farmers themselves, and
>ECEAT is supporting it because it is a good opportunity to
>financially support ecological farms and to raise public
>awareness. Not only is ECEAT organizing relaxing holidays for
>tourists, but it is also making farmers aware of opportunities
>for ecological agriculture, rural development, and nature
>conservation.
>ECEAT guarantees tourists that tourism and agriculture on
>the farms are sustainable. It cooperates closely with local
>governments and with local farmers, making sure they reinvest
>any profit into the development of their farms.
>In many countries of the Region, these "organic farm
>holidays" are setting standards for the development of rural
>tourism because they are the first initiative of this kind. And
>they are quite successful. Based on last year's program ECEAT
>reports, "Responses from the tourists showed that in particular,
>the quiet, clean environment and the personal contact with East
>Europeans was highly appreciated. The farmers particularly
>appreciated the cultural exchange and the substantial increases
>in their incomes." ECEAT provides guides of the 40 to 70 farms
>per country.
>CONTACT: ECEAT, Postbox 10899, 1001 EW Amsterdam, The
>Netherlands, tel: (31-20) 668-1030, fax: (31-20) 665-0166
>
>Info:
>[email-masked] (their email address)
>from December 1997 (hopefully): www.eceat.org
>now: www.grueneliga.de
>----------------
>
>ECOTOURISM GROWING IN ALBANIA
>About 40 people took part in the "Ecotourism in Albania"
>seminar held in Durres, Albania from 17 to 20 February. The
>seminar focused on three topics relating to ecotourism in
>Albania: classifying the criteria for the development of future
>ecological tourism, discussing the German Okologischer Tourismus
>Europa's (OTE) strategy for a sustainable tourism policy, and
>evaluating the ecological and tourist potential of some priority
>regions for ecotourism, such as the Dajti Mountain and Divjaka-
>Karavasta Lagoon. The emphasis of the discussion was on
>practical activities, such as how to set up pilot projects, how
>to reduce the number of tourists in sensitive areas, and how
>NGOs can contribute to these activities.
>About 40 people participated in the seminar. They included
>members of the Society for the Protection and Preservation of
>the Natural Environment in Albania (PPNEA) and other Albanian
>environmental organizations, and others from Germany, the
>Netherlands, Hungary, England, and Bulgaria. The seminar was
>supported by ÖTE-DNR (Deutscher Naturschutzring).
>The events over the three days included watching a film
>about the tourist potential of different parts of Albania, a
>presentation by the foreign participants where they spoke about
>their experiences in developing ecotourism in Central and
>Eastern Europe, and an excursion to the Karavasta Lagoon and
>Divjaka National Park which are important ecotourism zones.
>The seminar ended with the participants deciding to set up
>a resolution about all the questions discussed during the three
>days. It will be submitted to the Albanian government and other
>international institutions and NGOs.
>CONTACT: Irena Sherameti, Protection and Preservation of
>Natural Environment, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Tirana
>University, Tirana, Albania, tel: (355-42) 25454, fax: (355-42)
>26961
>