Subject: The Secret of Fertile Soils (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:25:20 -0500 (EST)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Support your local organic market farmer, buy products bearing the
 BuyGreen and Sustainably Grown (natural, ecological & biointensive) labels
        http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden    [email-masked]
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 18:30:18 +0100 (Lissabon Warschau Normalzeit)
From: Wolfram Blaesi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: The Secret of Fertile Soils

Dear SAN members, 

I've just came across a new book on fertile Soils. It seems to be very 
interesting.
Ciao
W.Blaesi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erhard Hennig: The Secrets of Fertile Soils
Humus as the Guardian of the Fundamentals of Natural Life

ISBN 3-922201-27-x-
OLV Organischer Landbau Verlag Kurt Walter Lau
Viktoriastr.7, D-46509 Xanten, Germany
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This stimulating book provides a comprehensive and highly practical
insight into the interdependent relationships between soil, plants,
animals and human beings. It allows the reader to participate in the
fascinating, mysterious life cycle of those soils which are still healthy. 
It is not only the quality of our air and water that are threatened, but
also our soils. Our arable land has been exhausted by overuse and lacks
the nutrients essential for plants, animals and human beings. Depletion of
humus is already described as extreme in some areas, with an accompanying
destruction of essential soil microorganisms. This lack of soil nutrients
and microorganisms along with the insiduous pollution of soil and
groundwater are having a demonstrable effect on the health of the people
who derive their nourishment from such soil.

On this subject, the author offers advice. His remedy, derived from over
six decades of observations of nature, appears simplistic at the first
glance: Always maintain the fertility of the soil. However, to achieve
this objective, we must refer to the knowledge gained by our ancestors in
gardening and agriculture and restore proper cultivation techniques.
Hennig addresses all components of the soil: microorganisms, microbes as
well as soil nutrients and minerals. The reader will also explore natural
fertilisation using compost and rock dust as well as their origins and
their roles in the formation of humus. Their properties are indispensable
for the maintenance of viability in the soil. With regard to fertilisation
supplying energy, Erhard Hennig emphasises that the condition of the soil
is driectly linked to the mental and physical well-being of the human race
as well as animals. Even beyond this, Hennig establishes the bridge from
the threats to life on earth to the ordering of matter in space, with the
premise that there is no pure matter, as earth and space are influenced by
the spirit.
The author discusses the basics of soil science for professionals, and
also makes it easily understandable for those outside the fields of
gardening and agriculture.
Hopefully this book will contribute to awakening the spirit of resistance
in thinking individuals and compel them to draw the necessary conclusions
in their personal lives, as well. It is available in English and German.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Ing.agr. W. Blaesi
Institut fuer Agrarpolitik                      Tel.:  0049/711/4593341
und landwirtschaftliche Marktlehre              Fax.:  0049/711/4592634
Universitaet Hohenheim                          email: [email-masked]
70593 Stuttgart

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with "unsubscribe sanet-mg".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".