Subject: Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 21:07:42 EDT

Hi Darren,

In a message dated 8/2/99 11:45:28 AM, [email-masked] writes:

<<that is unless you are only irrigating
a small area and have a dam that has a capacity that well exceeds this use.>> 
I hope that will be the case. I have too much water in spring running through 
and around pond area that I'd like to impound for other uses especially later 
in hot , dry summer months.

<<Another strategy is were we instruct clients to sensitively
harvest seedheads etc. of local riparian species and then simply scatter
them on the water, where eventually wave action will bring them back to
shore where they will naturally find their niche at the appropriate
water/dampness level.>> Good idea...what species would be recommended for 
southern KY ...USDA Zone 6?

<<With islands you nearly always compromise dam depth.>>  Not sure I follow 
this.  Please explain in detail. 

I really don't intend the island to be very large...perhaps only 10*15' with 
irregular gently sloping sides?  Is that size OK? would you need to make it 
larger? for other reasons? 

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:19:41 -0400 (EDT)

> larger? for other reasons? 

Instead of the island, which Darren says might compromise the integrity
of the pond design you could build a few large floating rafts as planters
(hydroponic) for growing certain crops. Great for some wildlife wishing to
languish in the sun or have better vantage point for catching insects for
food. There is literature describing construction and maintenance of these
floating, harvestable gardens. 

---