Subject: Re: Ovine sylviculture (sheep eating trees)

From: Mark Ludwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:41:02 -0600

At 06:40 PM 2/24/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Mark Ludwig wrote:
>
>  Other friends suggest that black and honey locust become
>> excessively thorny when grazed.   What  other ideas are  out there?
>
>
>You must remember that weve planted nurseries of thornless honey locust
>with great success, think Ive grown a couple hundred of em from seed. 
>whatabout the biomass willow, the one that Bear Creek is pushing,  mine
>have only been in the ground for 1 year but they already look pretty
>vigorous.
>
On the topic of thornless honeylocust, I'm a little dubious as to weather
their truly thornless under grazing conditions.  I've herd that the thorns
develop in response to browsing, not as a generalized condition.  Anyone put
those things to the test.
Mark

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:00:00 +0100

> those things to the test.

My feeling about honey locust is that the pods are of much more
nutritive value, why not get these going for 5-8 years & then set it up
so the sheep will graze the pods in the fall.  

Also when I think of grazing I think of what is prolific & vigorous & I
wonder how the hated giant polygonum would do.  We know that the goats
go for those shoots right away, & of course it kinds takes care of its
own propagation, now doesnt it?

without knowing alot about this, I wonder if the more diversity you can
offer the sheep, the more they will move around & habitats would have
chances to really get stablized in a perennial grazing system.

miekal

miekal
-- 
@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#
Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime
QAZINGULAZA: And/Was/Wakest website:
http://net22.com/qazingulaza
e-mail for DT & And/Was: [email-masked]