Subject: eleagnus

From: Linda Felch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:47:35 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the info on eleagnus and other useful wild plants, Lawrence.

I didn't notice inyour description of eleagnus any mention of its 
nitrogen-fixing properties. I think that's on e of the best reasons for 
using it! We ahve several and have used them in guilds as a nitrogen 
fixer with heavy feeders on the dripline of the tree.

In a forestry class that I recently took, it was mentioned that eleagnus 
is considered an invasive exotic on the order of multiflora rose or 
honeysuckle. When questioned about this, the professor indicated that 
birds eat the fruit and deposit the seeds elsewhere, so one might not see 
the "invasion" happening. Anyone have any further info on the 
invasiveness of eleagnus? I've been hesitant to grow more than we already 
have if the are indeed invasive.

Linda Felch
[email-masked]
http://www.welch.jhu.edu/~lfelch/heathcote.html
Baltimore, MD

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 22:54:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Linda Felch wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:47:35 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Linda Felch <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: eleagnus
> 
> I didn't notice in your description of eleagnus any mention of its 
> using it! We have several and have used them in guilds as a nitrogen 

I overlooked that & was reminded by the info at PFAF. I saw this firsthand
this afternoon. I attempted to transplant one of our wild Russian Olive's
from a wooded location to a position in a hedgerow beside one of my 
vegetable garden sites. Many of the rootlets had clusters of little white
bumps on them. These were, I assume, the N-F nodules.
 
> have if the are indeed invasive.

Pine, Eastern red cedar, eleagnus, multiflora rose, where present in
a fertile location, may become reseeded by birds at nearly the same rate.
I have all of these in my fields and eleagnus has the smallest population.
I think eleagnus will reeseed itself with little difficulty only in 
certain locations, the same as with elderberry which seems to require 
semi-wet, fertile locations. Eleagnus seems to like, not open fields, but
semi-shady locations with filtered sunlight or direct light part of the 
day. It will thrive in an open sunny location quite well too. I think that
seedlings may not have the same survival rate as the other plants listed 
above; at least not so in your average open field under average 
conditions of drought, cold, wet & predation. Once established it is very 
hardy and can survive with little nourishment. It is deep-rooted with a 
sparse but heavy root system and is very difficult to transplant. See 
PFAF for more cultural information. I feel that eleagnus can hardly be 
considered invasive except under conditions ideal for its survival
and propagation. As with developing any plant communities you would need
to keep in mind that many plants can become invasive under certain 
conditions and thus dominate and out-compete plant neighbors. I assume
eleagnus doesn't exude any alleopathic substances into the soil and that
it relies on shading and N-F to overtake its vulnerable neighbors. Some
varieties have climbing growth habits and can easily overtake surrounding
shrubs and small trees when growing in fertile locations. One location 
where I often see it growing around these parts is in semi-shaded 
hardwood forests with limited fertility. The plants get leggy, bear good
fruit and hang on for years and years with little added growth. I would 
guess that it likes to reseed into moldy woods earth. Cedar, pine and rose
like open fields of friable clay loam with moderate organic matter content
and a small amount of plant litter on the surface and within clumps of 
grasses and other weeds.

Lawrence
mailto:[email-masked]
http://sunsite.unc.edu/InterGarden/permaculture.html