Subject: more tropical plants we grow

From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:17:53 -0800

Asteraceae (Compositae)

Achillea millefolium (yarrow) has died .. grew ok for a while, but since it
is of limited use, we haven't perservered
Ageratum spp (blue top)... local weed in gardens and overgrazed pastures
(used as coagulant on cuts)
Artemisia spp (wormwood, southernwood and mugwort)... one variety of
wormwood growing well, mugwort variety very tall and weedy, southernwood
died... use as occassional mulch and essential oil (companion plant?)  Can
be used in small quantities as a edible flavouring.
Bidens pilosa (cobbler's pegs).. prolific weed (young shoots and leaves are
edible raw or cooked)
Calendula officinalis (pot marigold).. grows ok in winter, not self
seeding, edible flower petals.
Centaurea cyanus (cornflower).. grows ok in winter, not usually self
seeding, edible flowers
Chamaemelum spp (german and roman chamomile)... died
Chrysanthemum coronarium (edible chrysanthemum).. grew tolerably
only..didn't persue
Cichorium endivia and intybus (endive and chichory).. grow well (edible
leaves), sometimes self seed
Cnicus palustris (blessed thistle).. grew for part of season then died.
Cynara cardunculus (cardoon).. died
Cynara scolymus (globe artichoke).. rotted off
Dahlia sp ... some perennialising... one species in Mexico has edible
tubers and petals.
Helianthus annuus (sunflower)... grows well, mostly feed to chooks (or wild
birds first)
Helianthus tuberosus (jerusalem artichoke).. was hard to establish, but now
growing well, edible tuber
Helichrysum sp (curry plant)... delightful aroma of leaf, but soon died.
Hypochoeris radicata (flatweed/catsears)..novelty edible weed
Lactuca sativa (lettuce)...many varieties grow well in winter months
Polymnia sonchifolia (yacon).. growing very well, one plant produces half a
box of yummy tubers (edible raw).  Leaves are said to be edible... guinea
pigs love them.
Santolina chamaecyparissus (lavender cotton)...died
Scorzonera hispanica (black salsify).. grew once, ok
Solidago sp (goldenrod).. grows very well, attractive, companion plant,
leaves used as tea?
Sonchus oleraceus (sow thistle).. local weed, grows well, but not well
enough... wonderful fodder (and young leaves good in salads)
Spilanthes acmella (toothache plant).. died when not looked after well
(edible, but also has a local numbing effect)
Tagetes lucida (winter tarragon)... grows well, wonderful anise
flavour/smell, beautiful yellow flower, leaves edible herb, and flowers in
salads
Tagetes minuta (stinking roger) ... weed  (dried leaves used as seasoning
herb, and source of edible essential oil)
Tagetes patula (french marigold).. grows ok, usually doesn't self seed
(leaves and flowers can be used as condiment)
Tagetes tenuifolia (lemon marigold).. no joy
Tanacetum parthenium (feverfew).. grew then died
Tanacetum vulgare (tansy)... grew for part of season, but didn't
perennialise
Taraxacum officinale (dandelion).. not local, have introduced an especially
large leafed variety which is holding it's own but not spreading yet.
Tragopogon porrifolius (salsify).. grew once, ok
Tussilago farfara (coltsfoot)..died

Bye Rene