Subject: Inspired Undergrad Searching for Summer Internship!

From: [email-masked] (Damon R. Lesjack)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 11:07:32 -0400

>Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:23:04 -0800 (PST)
>From: Craig Russell Skipton <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Inspired Undergrad Searching for Summer Internship!
>Sender: [email-masked]
>To: Cornell Listserve <[email-masked]>
>Reply-to: [email-masked]
>MIME-version: 1.0
>Precedence: bulk
>
>Hello to All!
>
>My name is Craig. I'm a senior undergraduate student at Huxley College of
>Environmental Studies, of Western Washington University in Bellingham,
>Washington, (a wonderful town nestled between the foothills of the Cascade
>Range and Puget Sound). I am currently in search of an internship for the
>summer of 1998: agroecology, permaculture, sustainable systems,
>organic farming.
>
>Last year I completed a course in Agroecology and Sustainable Agriculture
>taught by Prof. Dr. Gigi Berardi. My eyes were opened to the world of
>sustainable systems. Since then my interests have flourished and my thirst for
>information is unsatiable.
>
>Interests:
>   Organic farming.
>   Small scale sustainable organic farming (Horticulture/Agriculture).
>   Learning and assisting with current methods of production.
>   Establishing networks for local and regional indigenous knowledge
>    distribution.
>   Modes of developing Community Supported Agriculture (CSA).
>   Gaining further knowledge in the processes and workings within the
>    spectrum of applications and implications of Organic (Alternative or
>    Low-input or Regenerative ) farming.
>Relevant Skills:
>   Completed course study in Agroecology, Botany, Zoology, Flowering plant
>    Biology, Ecology, Inorganic and Organic chemistry, and Biostatistics,
>    Geography of Soils.
>   Familiar with small scale horticultural/gardening practices.
>   Greenhouse maintenance (trimming, weeding, watering)
>
>
>Useful material from Argoecology and Sustainable Agriculture course:
>   Direct experience with principles and fundamentals of Agroecology
>   Proficiency in ecological concepts applied to the design and management
>    of sustainable food production systems and technologies, policies that
>    promote soil, water and resource conservation.
>   Familiarization with recent agroecology, sustainable, and regenerative
>    literature and discussions
>   Field assessments of  "conventional" versus "alternative" agriculture.
>   Development of a utilizable farm plan for a local farm.
>
>Thanks for providing such a wonderful medium for me to extend my search!
>If there is anyone or anybody that has question or comments in regards to
>my search please let me know!
>
>Address: 2209 G st. #4. Bellingham, WA. 98225
>e-mail: [email-masked]
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Craig Skipton
>November 17, 1997
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:41:07 -0500 (EST)

We have openings for interns on a year-round basis.  Winter isn't so bad
here.  I'm appending our announcement as of last June  that somewhat
describes our offerings, although we strive to customize every internship to
the goals of the intern.

Permaculture Internships in Florida

Yankee and Elfin Permaculture have two internships available at Barking Frogs
Farm in central Florida.  All interns will be exposed to sustainable
lifestyle and given opportunity to participate in the functioning of our
permaculture activities, including the  farm. Internships on the farm are
available year-round. The duration of each internship is negotiable. 

The Elfin Permaculture  intern will assist in the development  of our
permaculture design for our newly acquired farm.  S/he will take
measurements, document,  plantings,  produce  drawings and maps, and write
the first draft narrative of the design. Elfin Permaculture inters may also
participate in organizing our permaculture workshops and courses. Interns
interested in learning alternative construction will have the choice of a
variety of projects, such as a solar cooker, ferrocement building elements,
 a cold/frame hot bed, solar greenhouse, and star-plate cabin.

The Yankee Permaculture  intern will assist in the production  of our
publications, which include a journal, a digest, two directories, and a
series of specialized papers  and pamphlets.

Both interns are free to take any online design course  that runs during
 their internship.  Both interns will contribute to design implementation
 and routine tasks as well as managing their own special projects.  Long term
interns have the opportunity to develop profit sharing and/or a position as
caretaker at  the farm. 

Internships are custom designed and can hybridize from the above sample tasks
and others to suit the intrests and growth goals of the individual.

For more information, reply with specific questions and a self-description
(less than 500 words) to Dan Hemenway, [email-masked].

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email. Registrations still accepted for the current course.
Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA  [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.