Subject: beets

From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:25:23 -0800

Hi I'm not sure how they process beets commercially but thought you might
like this recipe from Jackie French's A-Z of Useful Plants

Peel and slice beets, cover with water, boil for 2 hrs.  Place in sieve and
press out juice.  Keep juice in fridge and use as a sweetner.

Stephen Facciola's Cornucopia lists Sugar beet as Beta vulgaris Crassa
Group...young leaves in salads, raw or lightly cooked.  Older leaves used
like spinach.  Roots eaten cooked or pickled.  Juice can be fermented.  Can
make sugar, syrup or molasses.

I have made sugar from sugar cane juice... well jaggery really.   The juice
was boiled and boiled and boiled.  Finally the syrup was allowed to cool...
what cooled slowly had huge sugar cyrstals in it (in smaller containers
much smaller crystals were formed).  The taste was good, but a very strong
molasses taste.

Good luck... have fun.

Cheers

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:14:18 PST
From: Mikelo Heredia <[email-masked]>

Lima, march 11th 1998.

I write to greet and to ask : Have you been interested in 
Heliciculture?. Who writes is Mikelo Heredia, I am biologist and I like 
the snails. So if you need information about snails farming processing  
and comercial market, I can send you some copies. 

Waiting for your answer.

Bsc. Mikelo Heredia
Associate Researcher
e-mail : [email-masked]
         [email-masked]
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
Departamento de Biología
Av. Honorio Delgado 430
Urb. Ingenieria San Martin de Porres
Casilla Postal 4314
LIMA 31 PERU

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail