Subject: Re: searching for list of permaculture internships/app

From: Jenny <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 14:15:18 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Greetings to all.  I would like to do an internship/apprenticeship on a
> permaculture farm.  I recently received the ATTRA (Appropriate Technology
> Transfer for Rural Areas) resource list, but would like to find a similar
> list consisting of permaculture farms.  Where would I find such a listing?
>  Does one exist?  I am familiar with The Permaculture Activist, but I am
> looking for something more extensive that what is listed in the classified
> section.  Any information would be appreciated.
>    Also, I am in school to be a high school teacher, and would like to hear
> from other teachers regarding bringing permaculture ideas into the classroom.
> 
>                                                       Tim
>                                                      
I do not have information about internships, but the idea of getting
permaculture into the classrooms is my main interest.
I am working on a permaculture project with an elementary school.
Right now it only focuses on the landscaping/agricultural side, because
it is hands on for the younger children.
The integration of permaculture into the curriculum is more
controversial. I think it is wise to be caucious about how you present
it. A good idea is to get support from related programs, like "Project
Wild", "Schoolyard Wildlife Habitat","Service Learning" to name a few.
"Future Farmers of America" can be revived.
Use the channels that are already in existance and be creative.
Almost every subject provides links to Permaculture integrate them where
applicable. Be careful with too radical ideas they are not understood
unless the groudwork is done. 

Good luck, Jenny

---

From: Pacific Edge Permaculture <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 14:50:15 +0000

> > from other teachers regarding bringing permaculture ideas into the classroom.

Hi

We work with schools as permaculture consultants. At the moment we are
involved in a primary school in Sydney, Australia in a whole school/
community particpatory design of the school ground. The primary school
students use the site during school time and the community have access
after hours.

The design team is made up of community artist, Aboriginal
artist/storyteller, an architect and Pacific Edge Permaculture.

Other things happening in Australia - Carolyn Nuttall has produced a
wonderful little book on her experience teaching permaculture in a
Brisbane primary school. The title is a Childrens Food Forest and is
available from the Permaculture International Journal. She is working on
a set of worksheet to be published next year I think.

I think a secondary teacher, Ross Mars, from Perth, Western Australia,
is currently developing permaculture curricula materials which he
intends to publish as a book. Ross teaches permaculture as a school
subject.

After the Permaculture International Convergence last year we had a
permaculture in Schools networking day. Material from the participants 
was collated into a Permaculture in Schools kit and is available from us
for $Aus15 postage paid within Australia or $Aus20 overseas postage
paid.

We have carried out a survey based on a questionairre to discover what
is being practiced as permaculture in schools in Australia. I remember
that there are a few overseas respondents.

The survey is complete and we will do a minimum amount of interpretation
of the returned questionnaires and photocopy them for distribution as a
research information base for permaculture in schools activists,
teachers, community educators and playground planners following the
Australasian Permaculture Convergence in October this year. 

HOpe this information is of interest to you...
...Fiona and Russ

-------------------------
PACIFIC EDGE PERMACULTURE
Phone   02-9588 6931    (IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
Fax     9514 2611 (Mark fax: ATTN: RUSS GRAYSON - APACE) 
          (IDD-61+2+330 2611)
Email: [email-masked]

Permaculture education, publishing, design. 
NSW co-ordinator, Australian City Farms and Gardens Network.