Subject: Re: Compost fungi and allergies (long reply but may be useful to some)

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence F. London, Jr.)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:41:32 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:11:55 -0300, Marsha Hanzi <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>Dear friends at the list:
>    I just received a letter from a person who  is implanting a garden
>in a  kindergarden  using compost of horse manure and straw, and a heavy
>mulch of cut grass.  One of the children has presented respiratory
>problems, and this child's father has suggested that the culpit may be
>the fungi involved in the decomposition process of the garden.
>(However, the children were also exposed to dust  about the same time).
>Have any of you heard about allergic reactions  to these fungi?   I
>would appreciate the information, which I shall pass on to the person
>involved.
>Thank you very much.
>Marsha Hanzi
>Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia

<>

>From [email-masked] Mon Mar 21 14:58:13 1994
Date: 21 Mar 94 18:06:20 GMT
From: Mike Dorrington <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: compost spores & health

Can anyone answer below (forwarded) message?

>We are looking for information on the possible health
>effects of a mold spore-- Aspergillus fumigatus-- that is
>associated with composting operations and can also be found
>in the air and in buildings.  A study by the New York state
>Dept. of Health came out last week with information
>suggesting that it was not the cause of respiratory or other
>health problems around an Islip Long Island composting
>facility.  At the same time the study said composting
>facilities should not be located near hospitals, in
>particular, medical facilities with bone marrow transplant
>operations.  If you have any information on this subject,
>please send me an e-mail message.  Thanks!  -- David Hess,
>Executive Director, Pennsylvania Senate Environmental
>Resources & Energy Committee.

>From [email-masked] Mon Mar 21 21:08:14 1994
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 15:01:35 EST
From: Greg Evanylo <[email-masked]>
To: Sust Ag Network <[email-masked]>
Subject: Response to question on Aspergillus fumigatus

David Hess writes:

<duplicated text deleted>

Aspergillus f. is a common fungus found in decaying organic matter and
soil
throughout the world - it's spores are airborne and are constantly
inhaled.
The fungus is a recognized pathogen of birds, humans and other animals
causing
acute or chronic infection primarily of the respiratory tract, viz.
aspergillo-
sis. Since A.f. is heat tolerant, it can survive the high temperatures
normally
found in the composting process.

Aspergillus f. is an opportunistic fungus or secondary pathogen which
invades
and infects debilitated or immunocompromised individuals. Rarely,
although
instances have been reported, does the disease infect nondebilitated
persons,
thus, the rationale for locating composting facilities away from
hospitals
while not ascribing any great health risk to the larger population.

The *common wisdom* is that composting facilities should not present a
threat to healthy workers et al, as long as certain precautions are
taken, i.e.
use of biofilters or other air scrubbing systems to reduce dust in
contained
areas (e.g. inside screening areas), keep outdoor windrows moist to
prevent
dusty conditions, sites should have adequate buffer areas (e.g.
separation of
facilities from residences by a wooded area), and screening of
workers.

An excellent review of this public health issue has been presented by
Eliot
Epstein in the January 1994 issue of Biocycle (pp. 51-57).  This
should serve
as another reminder that their is risk in most everything, even the
most
inocuous and beneficial appearing practices. We must decide how much
risk we
 are willing to take.

>From [email-masked] Mon Mar 21 21:25:00 1994
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 18:09:09 EST
From: Carlisle Landel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: compost spores & health

Hi!

Saw your post to bionet.  Here is a medline search for the keyword
"compost".

Let me know if you need more.

Search request: FIND KW COMPOST
Search result:  25 citations in the Medline database

To display ABSTRACT, type D <record number> ABS.
Type HELP for other display options.

1. Weber S; Kullman G; Petsonk E; Jones WG; Olenchock S; Sorenson W;
Parker J;
       Marcelo-Baciu R; Frazer D; Castranova V.
     Organic dust exposures from compost handling: case presentation
and
     respiratory exposure assessment.
   American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 1993 Oct, 24(4):365-74.
     ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  94070887)

2. Frazer DG; Jones WG; Petsonk EL; Kullman GJ; Barger MW; Afshari A;
Jones T;
       Castranova V.
     Organic dust exposure from compost handling: response of an
animal model.
   American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 1993 Oct, 24(4):375-85.
     ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  94070888)

3. Watanabe K; Hayano K.
     Distribution and identification of proteolytic Bacillus spp. in
paddy
     field soil under rice cultivation.
   Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 1993 Jul, 39(7):674-80.
     ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93373156)

4. Miyake H; Takahashi K; Tsuji M; Nagasawa S; Ohta T; Araki T.
     [A surgical case of solitary cerebral cysticercosis].
   No Shinkei Geka. Neurological Surgery, 1993 Jun, 21(6):561-5.
     Language:  Japanese.
     ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93330400)
     Pub type:  Journal Article; Review; Review of Reported Cases.

5. Gronvold J; Wolstrup J; Nansen P; Henriksen SA; Larsen M; Bresciani
J.
     Biological control of nematode parasites in cattle with
nematode-trapping
     fungi: a survey of Danish studies.
   Veterinary Parasitology, 1993 Jun, 48(1-4):311-25.
     ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93348735)
     Pub type:  Journal Article; Review; Review, Tutorial.

6. Sporik RB; Arruda LK; Woodfolk J; Chapman MD; Platts-Mills TA.
     Environmental exposure to Aspergillus fumigatus allergen (Asp f
I).
   Clinical and Experimental Allergy, 1993 Apr, 23(4):326-31.
     ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93306526)

7. Van den Bogart HG; Van den Ende G; Van Loon PC; Van Griensven LJ.
     Mushroom worker's lung: serologic reactions to thermophilic
actinomycetes
     present in the air of compost tunnels.
   Mycopathologia, 1993 Apr, 122(1):21-8.
     ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93317023)

8. Kirkby G.
     Waste management: three R's (reduce, reuse, recycle) reduce
waste, save
     money.
   Leadership in Health Services, 1993 Mar-Apr, 2(2):30-3.
     ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93237767)

9. [The use of transgenic animals in the evaluation of the genotoxic
properties
     of compost chemicals].
   Bollettino Chimico Farmaceutico, 1993 Jan, 132(1):32-6.
     Language:  Italian.
     (UI:  93236803)

10. Perry CR; Matcham SE; Wood DA; Thurston CF.
      The structure of laccase protein and its synthesis by the
commercial
      mushroom Agaricus bisporus.
    Journal of General Microbiology, 1993 Jan, 139 ( Pt 1):171-8.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93195508)

11. Duncanson E; Gilkes AF; Kirk DW; Sherman A; Wray JL.
      nir1, a conditional-lethal mutation in barley causing a defect
in nitrite
      reduction.
    Molecular and General Genetics, 1993 Jan, 236(2-3):275-82.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93173102)

12. Straub TM; Pepper IL; Gerba CP.
      Hazards from pathogenic microorganisms in land-disposed sewage
sludge.
    Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 1993,
132:55-91.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93348398)
      Pub type:  Journal Article; Review; Review, Academic.

13. Some ES.
      Household sanitation in Uasin Gishu district in Kenya.
    East African Medical Journal, 1992 Nov, 69(11):611-2.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  93223605)

14. Wiegant WM; Wery J; Buitenhuis ET; de Bont JA.
      Growth-promoting effect of thermophilic fungi on the mycelium of
the
      edible mushroom Agaricus bisporus.
    Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 1992 Aug, 58(8):2654-9.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  92384586)

15. Tan EL; Ho CH; Griest WH; Tyndall RL.
      Mutagenicity of trinitrotoluene and its metabolites formed
during
      composting.
    Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, 1992 Jul,
36(3):165-75.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  92333608)

16. Lemmon CR; Pylypiw HM Jr.
      Degradation of diazinon, chlorpyrifos, isofenphos, and
pendimethalin in
      grass and compost.
    Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 1992 Mar,
    48(3):409-15.
      (UI:  92330208)

17. Rouchaud J; Gustin F; Benoit F; Ceustermans N; Gillet J; Van de
Steene F;
        Pelerents C.
      Influence of cow manure and composts on the effects of
chlorfenvinphos on
      field crops.
    Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 1992 Jan,
    22(1):122-9.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  92206889)

18. Elnaiem DE; Ward RD.
      Oviposition attractants and stimulants for the sandfly Lutzomyia
      longipalpis (Diptera: Psychodidae).
    Journal of Medical Entomology, 1992 Jan, 29(1):5-12.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  92203275)

19. Amner W; McCarthy AJ; Edwards C.
      Survival of a plasmid-bearing strain of Bacillus subtilis
introduced into
      compost.
    Journal of General Microbiology, 1991 Aug, 137 ( Pt 8):1931-7.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  92065254)

20. Cox AL; van den Bogart HG; Folgering HT; van Griensven LJ.
      [Mushroom growers' lung; clinical diagnosis and treatment].
    Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde, 1991 Jun 8,
135(23):1040-4.
      Language:  Dutch.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  91287855)

21. Pope CW.
      Poultry production's environmental impact on water quality.
    Poultry Science, 1991 May, 70(5):1123-5.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  91305247)
      Pub type:  Journal Article; Review; Review, Tutorial.

22. Festy B.
      [Some aspects of the management of house-hold refuse].
    Annales Pharmaceutiques Francaises, 1991, 49(3):115-26.
      Language:  French.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  92027349)

23. Shen YE; Kurup VP; Fink JN.
      Circulating antibodies against thermophilic actinomycetes in
farmers and
      mushroom workers.
    Journal of Hygiene, Epidemiology, Microbiology and Immunology,
1991,
    35(3):309-16.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  92071562)

24. Jorgensen PL; Hansen CK.
      Multiple endo-beta-1,4-glucanase-encoding genes from Bacillus
lautus
      PL236 and characterization of the celB gene.
    Gene, 1990 Sep 1, 93(1):55-60.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  91033016)

25. Perez CM; Juliano BO; De Datta SK; Amarante ST.
      Effects of nitrogen fertilizer treatment and source and season
on grain
      quality of IR64 rice.
    Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 1990 Apr, 40(2):123-30.
      ABSTRACT available.  (UI:  90349533)       
***********

Regards, 

Carlisle Landel
Dept. Medical Cell Biology 
A.I. duPont Institute
PO Box 269
Wilmington DE 19899
(302) 651-6873
[email-masked]

>From london@calypso-2 Tue Mar 22 09:08:48 1994
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 09:07:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Larry London <london@calypso-2>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Compost spores and health (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 94 06:45:00 +0600
From: Jim Mcnelly <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Compost spores and health

This message was from JIM MCNELLY to ALL
originally in conference bionet.general on GRANITE (Granite City BBS)
and was forwarded to you by JIM MCNELLY

  >To: [email-masked]
  >Subject: compost spores & health
  >Can anyone answer below (forwarded) message?

  >>We are looking for information on the possible health
  >>effects of a mold spore-- Aspergillus fumigatus-- that is
  >>associated with composting operations and can also be found
  >>in the air and in buildings.  A study by the New York state
  >>Dept. of Health came out last week with information
  >>suggesting that it was not the cause of respiratory or other
  >>health problems around an Islip Long Island composting
  >>facility.  At the same time the study said composting
  >>facilities should not be located near hospitals, in
  >>particular, medical facilities with bone marrow transplant
  >>operations.  If you have any information on this subject,
  >>please send me an e-mail message.  Thanks!  -- David Hess,
  >>Executive Director, Pennsylvania Senate Environmental
  >>Resources & Energy Committee.

There was no e-mail address attached from David Hess, so let me pass
on
what I know on the subject.

Certain individuals are allergic to aspergillus fumigatus, and will
develop allergies including respiratory ailments if exposed
repeatedly.
A.F. is ubiquitous in dust, animal manures, soil, leaf mould, grain,
or
any concentration of organic matter that is dry.  The pathway of
ingestion is through the lungs.

Individuals that are immunosuppressive (Aids) can have extreme
reactions
to aspergillus exposure, which was the case cited at the Islip
facility.
The best compendium of data I am aware of was gathered by
representatives of the Composting Council of Alexandria, VA, at
703-739-2401.  There are also summaries of the topic in BioCycle
Magazine over the last two years.

As a composting professional, I take the issue very seriously.  While
99% of the population is not allergic to A.F., enough are to cause me
to
design composting facilities such that there is no outdoor agitation
or
screening, both of which cause fugitive dust.  This may eliminate many
low technology composting facilities as a result.

The issue, however, appears to be a "red herring" used by forces that
have a financial stake in the resumption of ocean dumping of sewage
sludge by eastern seaboard cities.  By using this issue in an attempt
to
discredit all forms of composting, poor science and false association
is
being linked to promote alternatives.

The A.F. issue, such as San Jose, California, is also being used to
close composting facilities in actions I believe may be driven by
property rights and NIMBY factions, not health concerns.

Ultimately, if we are going to close composting sites entirely due to
the A.F. problem, we will also have to cease mowing lawns, raking
leaves, allowing manure on farms, and all manner of other silliness.
The only significantly affected individual is the victim of Aids, and
in
this case, I believe that it is more prudent to relocate these
individuals than to relocate expensive capital facilities.

Jim~ McNelly
ReSourceNet and GardenNet 612-654-8372, 656-0678 v.32bis
[email-masked]
---
 * March 22nd - LOOK! It's a bird! It's a plane!  It's...no, it's a
bird.

>From [email-masked] Wed Mar 23 08:32:36 1994
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 12:14:05 
From: Ulf Thrane <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Compost spores and health.

<text deleted>

Aspergillus fumigatus is well-known as a human pathogen and has been 
reported from several human organs (e.g. lungs, stomach, urine 
system) - more detailed info can be retrieved in the medical 
mycological literature.

ulf
=====================================================================
| Ulf Thrane                                                        |
| The Mycology Group                     Phone: +45 4593 3066       |
| Department of Biotechnology - 221   (direct): +45 4593 1222 x2630 |
| The Technical University                 Fax: +45 4288 4922       |
| DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark             InterNet:  [email-masked]      |
=====================================================================

>From [email-masked] Mon Mar 28 19:02:58 1994
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 94 17:01:31 +0100
From: Anton Sonnenberg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

<duplicate text deleted>

>From [email-masked] Wed Mar 30 18:23:12 1994
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 10:47:06 +0100
From: "L.J.L.D. Van Griensven" <[email-masked]>
To: Larry London <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Compost spores and health.

Compost spores and Health

For those interested in possible health effects of mold spores  
associated with composting operations and present in air:  We have  
done a study of the etiology of mushroom worker's lung with the  
following results.
The spores of the thermophilic actinomycetes Excellospora flexuosa,  
Thermomonospora alba, T. curvata and T. fusca  were collected from  
the air in compost-fermentation tunnels during the spawning of  
mushroom compost.  They were found present at over 10 power 9 CFU per

cubic meter of air. ( This is 10 times higher than needed for  
pathogenesis)
Aspergillus, Aureobasidium, Cladosporium, Penicillium and Scytalidium

were found at only 10 power 3 spores per cubic meter of air.  Sera of

10 mushroom growers with MWL were all found positive for one or more  
of the 4 actinomycetes by dot ELISA against spore antigens. No  
antibodies were found against Streptomyces vulgaris,  
Thermoactinomyces vulgaris, T. sacchari and Trichoderma viride.  Sera

of 11 of 14 workers engaged in handling  Phase 2 compost reacted  
positively with 1 or more of the actinomyces. Their serum titers  
increased with the duration of employment. The sera of 19 non-exposed

workers were negative. Results of inhalation provocation studies  
showed a causal relationship between spore exposition and disease.
The study was published in Mycopathologia 122: 21-28 (1993). Mushroom

compost is very much like any other compost and can therefore be  
considered as a model. 

Influence of spores coming from composting plants through the air to  
bone marrow transplant patients seems unlikely. Compost contains  
mostly thermophilic actinomycetes. After longer incubation at 45 C,  
thermophilic fungi will be found. A. fumigatus was never observed by  
us in mushroom compost.
Tunnels contain 100 tons of compost. Simple calculation shows the  
unlikeliness of  contamination by compost derived fungal spores  
through air. Besides, bone marrow patients are usually isolated in an

environment, that is made free of the microorganisms that are  
abundantly available in the air of hospitals.

Leo Van Griensven
Mushroom Experimental Station, Horst, The Netherlands.

>From [email-masked] Mon Apr 18 10:06:17 1994
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 09:22:41 UNDEFINED
From: [email-masked]
To: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Compost spores and health.

The Composting Council should be able to provide
information on A. fumigatus & Composting.

    The Composting Council
    114 S. Pitt St.
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Phone: 703/739-2401
    Fax:    703/739-2407 

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Kelley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:52:24 -0400

Permaculture Int'l email:
            Permaculture International <[email-masked]>

Address:

Permaculture International, PO Box 6039 South Lismore, NSW 2480,
Australia

If you find out any info about their website, let me know.  I can't access it.
Keley

---

---

From: Thilo Pfennig <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Aug 1999 22:25:12 +0200

Sorry Larry, if you wrote anything back to me personally it shurely
was trashed, because of some problems with my software.

I finally found out that nothing is wrong with your mailinglist.

If you get back some error-messages form my machine
(linda.alternativ.net) don´t bother. This was a good sign, because it
ended my problems 

-- 
Thilo Pfennig 
<http://Alternativ.Net/>

---

---

From: Thilo Pfennig <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Aug 1999 00:03:19 +0200

> was trashed, because of some problems with my software.

Sorry, this was not intended to go to the list...... sorry...

-- 
Thilo Pfennig 
<http://Alternativ.Net/>

---