Subject: Tree crops for cattle forage

From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:19:16 -0800

I'd like some feedback on tree species used for cattle forage
(specifically for the NW).  I live on a flood plain in WA where the pasture
goes relatively dormant (basically nutritionless) for about 6 months out of
the year.  This means we have to either hay our fields and put up the bales
in storage or purchase hay from neighboring farmers.  Either are certainly
acceptable practices but I would like to explore the use of woody
perennials (i.e. fodder trees) as alternate sources of Winter nutrition.  
	I've read that Sorbus aucuparia (European Mtn. Ash) is nutritionally
equivalent to alfalfa and can be pollarded.  Salix and Gleditsia also have
been used to provide necessary sugars and sources of nitrogen.  I'm curious
if anyone has used either of these (or other) species and if so, what was
the result?  Is there solid information out there about the nutritional
characteristics of trees in relation to stock animals?
	Any information would be helpful.

										Regards,
										kh

Kirk Hanson
C/O Permaculture West
72 Mattson Rd.
Oakville, WA 98568
ph./fx. (360) 273-7117
e-mail: [email-masked]