Subject: NPR PBS funding (fwd)

From: HARTER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 21:56:12 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 13:01:16 -1000 (HST)
From: Bill&Sarah McCowatt <[email-masked]>
Subject: NPR PBS funding

>Please keep this petition rolling. Do not reply to me. Please sign and
>forward to others to sign. If you prefer not to sign please send to the
>e-mail address indicated. Thanks.
>
>This petition is being passed around the Internet.  Please add your name to
>it so that funding can be  maintained for the NEA, NPR & PBS. Here goes:
>
>This is being forwarded to several people at once to add their names to the
>petition.  It won't matter if many people receive the same list as the
>names are being managed.
>
>This is for anyone who thinks NPR/PBS is a worthwhile expenditure of
>$1.12/year of their taxes, a petition follows. If you sign, please forward
>on to others (not back to me).  If not, please don't kill it - send it to
>the email address listed here:
>>>  [email-masked]>
>
>PBS, NPR (National Public Radio), and the arts are facing major cutbacks in
>funding.  In spite of the efforts of each station to reduce spending costs
>and streamline their services, some government officials believe that the
>funding currently going to these programs is too large a portion of funding
>for something which is seen as not worthwhile. Currently, taxes from the
>general public for PBS equal $1.12 per person per year, and the National
>Endowment for the Arts equals $.64 a year.
>
>A January 1995 CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll indicated that 76% of Americans
>wish to keep funding for PBS, third only to national defense and law
>enforcement as the most valuable programs for federal funding. Each year,
>the Senate and House Appropriations committees each have 13 subcommittees
>with jurisdiction over many programs and agencies. Each subcommittee passes
>its own appropriation bill.  The goal each year is to have each bill signed
>by the beginning of the fiscal year, which is October 1.
>
>The only way that our representatives can be aware of the base of support
>for PBS and funding for these types of programs is by making our voices
>heard.
>
>Please add your name to this list and forward it to friends if you believe
>in what we stand for.  This list will be forwarded to the President of the
>United States, the Vice President of the United States, and Representative
>Newt Gingrich, who is the instigator of the action to cut funding to these
>worthwhile programs.
>
>*If you happen to be the 150th, 200th, 250th, etc. signer of this petition,
>please forward a copy to: <[email-masked]>.
>
>This way we can keep track of the lists and organize them.  Forward this to
>everyone you know, and help us to keep these programs alive. Thank you.
>
>NOTE:  It is preferable that you SELECT the entirety of this letter and
>then COPY it into a new outgoing message rather than simply forwarding it
>(in order to avoid an accumulation of excessive >>>'s and other formatting
>problems.) 
>
>(this is Harry, I cut off all but the end of the long name list at 550 to
save space.  Apparently every 50th. person sends the list to the originator
so this shouldn't matter.  But I think the names between 550 and 600 need to
stay on and #600 will forward the list back to the originator.)
>
>>> 550.    Kumar Patel, Union, NJ 07083
>>> 551.    Matt Culligan, New York, NY 10009
>>> 552.    Bronwen Tawse, New York, NY  10016
>>> 553.    Alicia Kelley, New York, NY 10006
>>> 554.    Justin St. John, Makawao, HI  96768
>555.   K.C. Miller, Makawao, HI 96768
>556.  Harry M. Pritikin, Kailua-Kona HI  96745
557 Bill & Sarah McCowatt, Honoka'a Hi 96727
558 Carly Harter, Lawrence, KS 66044