Subject: Re: permaculture digest: September 21, 1999

From: rick valley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 99 11:24:40 -0700

>Since moles are insectivores and don't eat my garden plants, is there any
>reason I should try and eliminate them from my garden soil?  They take out a
>plant or two if they tunnel through root areas, that's the only damage so
>far.  Do they eat beneficial insects?  Naughty insects?  Both?
Mostly earthworms. I've seen them go after termites too. And people say
they'll eat tulip bulbs. But they tunnel, and the tunnels get used by rodents
who do the real damage.
>They eat grubs - what roles do grubs play in my soil?  Good, bad,
>indifferent...?
>
>If I wanted to keep moles out, what have people found to work (Pacific NW
>USA)?  Noisemakers, castor oil, flooding, etc.
traps, cats, or even blowing bentonite down their tunnels (a shop-vac on
reverse, charged with bentonite and taped-over with tissue paper!) That
apparently works by the disgust factor. BTW, the star-nosed mole of the PNW
is one of the biggest species. -R

Rick Valley Northern Groves 
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370 
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)929-7152  Bamboo catalog $2 or at 
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]