Subject: RE: [Pc] demographics - housing

From: John Schinnerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:12:16 -0700

Aloha,

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	eric + michiko [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>I have some trouble with the housing part (above); I wonder what
>"susbstandard" means for it to include all but 20% of the houses in the
>world.  I have traveled a good bit in Asia, enough to see how at least half
>the world lives, and I have trouble with this one.

As Ivan Illich exemplifies in one of his essays in "Towards a History of
Needs" - when legislation was passed into law in Venezuela "guaranteeing"
every citizen the "right" to housing, 70-80% of the population suddenly
found themselves living in "substandard" housing.  Not that there was
anything wrong with it from a bioregional peasant's perspective - but of
course they weren't the ones who defined the "standard."

John Schinnerer

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]