Subject: [permaculture] Development:alt.permaculture

From: Christer Ellingsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 03:58:18 +0200

This propasal was sent to alt.config minutes ago, comments would be
happily accepted.
After a period of apx. one week of discussion in alt.config a new group
control message will be sent out by me, (provided that the proposal not
should meet resistance of some own known reason) and the new group will
be created..

The proposal:
This proposal is to create a usenet newsgroup for discussion of
Permaculture and related topics.

For your newsgroup file:
alt.permaculture    Discussion on permaculture and related topics.

Charter:
This newsgroup is for discussion on Permaculture and all aspects of the
permaculture lifestyle. A friendly climate in the the spirit of
permaculture and a sustainable lifestyle should be sought after. Trading

and commercial posts are discouraged but permitted if in moderation and
directly related to the topic of the newsgroup. Political posts beyond
the scope of permaculture, binaries and encrypted messages are
considered off topic and should not be posted to the news group.

Justification:

There are a lot of information and communication on Permaculture on the
internet today, but there are no news group on the subject and the on
going communication seems to be scattered all over the net.

There are several mailing lists on the subject.
to limit the scope of this justification we will take a closer look at
one excisting community of mailinglists.

http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?site=sunsite-contrib&page=topic&topic=natural-agriculture&text_mode=0

Carries a community of 14 mailinglists related to permaculture among
them one named permaculture.
On request the owner (Lawrence F. London jr.) of these lists provided
these stats for the permaculture list, and i quote:
-snip- "about stats for this PC forum:
looks like in excess of 276 articles posted between
1-1-99 and 4-1-99
However this is only a drop in the bucket as this incarnation of
our PC list is on its third server - the number of articles posted from
1-1-99 back to the beginning of the list around 1993-1994 would probably

exceed 1500-1800. "

a search on deja-news on permaculture in messages returns this result:
"Messages -snip- of exactly 125 matches for search permaculture"
these messages are scattered over 18 groups with closely or more distant

relation to permaculture, but none of them dedicated to permaculture as
far as i can see.

When it comes to web sites, yahoo has a own category dedicated to
permaculture.

Alta Vista returns: "AltaVista found 56190 Web pages for you" on a
search with the keyword Permaculture.

Conclusion:
These examples are just to show a tip of the iceberg of the on going
communication on permaculture. But these examples and the fact that
permaculture is not just a topic that represent a hobby, but is a
lifestyle and profession to many people around the world, people who
would be interested in keeping a forum for discussion on their lifestyle

alive, serve to prove that a alt.permaculture would be a active group
and the fact that permaculture involves several topics might involve the

possibility of several other sub groups in the future.

--
Christer Ellingsen

--
Christer Ellingsen

Mellom Barken og veien
Web design og internett konsult.

Peel and discover
Web design, hosting and Internet consulting services
------------------------------------------------------------------
Skansenv. 1
N-7563 Malvik
Norway
------------------------
Voice: + 47 73976196
Fax: +47 73975755
Cellular: +47 90147718
E-mail: [email-masked]
******************************************************************
Freedom is not in the finished carving but in the wood chips left
on the floor.
******************************************************************

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]