Subject: Mosquito uses

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 12:31:25 -0500

Mosquitoes can be seen as unused resources of the highest value...

Bloodletting, for instance, has been seen by some of the US's greatest
doctors (such as George Washington's own presidential doctor) as a great
benefit to health, even having amazing curative powers. I once saw a
mosquito, down on the Navasota River here in Texas, drag a yearling calf
about 50 yards into the brush. By the time I could run to help it had been
sucked completely dry, but presumably the calf's health had reached great
heights before its mysterious death.

Mosquitoes are also known to be an effective aid in weight loss. The
incessant slapping and moving around necessary to avoid excessively-healthy
bloodletting episodes like the one recounted above can burn large amounts
of calories, and greatly increases muscle tone in legs and upper arms.
Mosquitoes also carry several diseases proven to be highly effective in
weight loss. 

Mosquitoes can greatly increase mental and aural acuity. What other aid can
so powerfully concentrate our hearing and mental attention as the sound of
a mosquito whining 'round our beds at night?

Mosquitoes are a great protectant against rampant Kudzu vinces. Many are
the times when I have become almost completely exhausted from attempting to
outrun Kudzu vines, but was kept going in my efforts by the even-greater
need to outrun hungry mosquitoes, some of them carrying clearly-illegal
automatic weapons. 

And finally, mosquito meat is highly under-rated, under-used, is nutritious
and has a very high dress-out ratio. The average 180-pound mosquito, for
instance, will dress out to just a little over 100 pounds of (red) meat!
Tastes a lot like chicken. And let's not forget the value of tough,
attractive, long-lasting mosquito leather!

It's time we began utilizing this plentiful resource instead of complaining
about its ubiquity. 

Next week: Another under-utilized resource, Land Pirhannas (also known as
Chihuahuas)...

Jack

---

From: Bruce Brummitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:00:38 -0600 (CST)

If anyone is seriously interested in mosquitoes (pro...as protein) con (as
disease carriers) contact the following fellow:  "Mosquito Jim Wyatt"
<[email-masked]>
He has experience in aquaculture, utilising mosquito larvae as feed.  MMCD
is "metropolitan mosquito control" for which he has worked the past 20
years.  He kills 'em during the week and grows 'em on the weekend.  One way
to job security?
Bruce

Bruce Brummitt and Cheryl Valois
        <[email-masked]>
     "Life is an Experiment"
         (46N56'  95W20')

---

From: Bruce Brummitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:00:38 -0600 (CST)

---

From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 12:27:43 -0800

You're not from MN are you, Jack?  Sounds eerily reminscent of home.

Kirk Hanson
C/O Permaculture West
72 Mattson Rd.
Oakville, WA 98568
ph./fx. (360) 273-7117
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 13:04:31 -0800 (PST)

Not to forget  that there is the possibility of taming mosquitos at which
time they make wonderful pets, loyal and easily trained to clean up messes
in the orchard.

Hi, Jack..thanks for the levity this morning! You're always reliable for a
good belly-laugh among other things. I'll  send the pictures off today. Glad
you liked the books and goodies. Give a pet to Rio and Phoebe for me.  I
think you should come here to see me after you're at Cross Timbers. All in
favor say  'I'!  I! 
xoxox
Vinca