Subject: Re: manure

From: "Guy Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:27:30 -0600

Vicki-
	It would not be a good idea to apply this unless you have a decent amount
of time to allow the mixture to  "cool down".  I would let it sit for
awhile, or till it into the soil where you plan to plant later.  I would
also have to consider the size of the wood chips because you need to
provide enough "fuel" to the soil microbes to break down the high
carbon/nitrogen (C/N) ratio.  Wood is like 200/1 and soil microbes are
about 12/1 or so.  You can think of it like a funnel.  You are trying to
work the high carbon to nitrogen stuff into the soil through the
micro-organisms.  The micro-organisms have to make up the difference from
somewhere and they get it from available nitrogen in the soil.  This
process puts the micro-organisms into competition with your plants and the
micro-organisms have bigger mouths and faster reaction rates than your
plants.  The plants end up with nitrogen deficiencies because of their
inability to keep up.  It is only a temporary deficiency because adding
organic matter to soil will (almost?) always lead to increased nitrogen,
but in the meantime your desired plants may have croaked or been stunted.
Namaste',
Guy Clark