Subject: Pond Construction, cont.

From: "Claude Genest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:10:15 -0400

Hi everyone,

really enjoying this pond thread.

What are some ways you've found to deal with overflow?

Do you divert it to your gardens?  to a subsidiary holding area?

I'm especially interested with working ducks into the mix.

(I got four hatchlings this spring and the little kiddie pool I have for
them now just ain't cutting it)

Sorry to ask so many questions in one e-mail but, one more: is there some
formula for how much pond space you'd need per duck?

Thanks in advance,

Claude
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: permaculture <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, August 02, 1999 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)

>Hi Darren,
>
>In a message dated 8/2/99 11:45:28 AM, [email-masked] writes:
>
><<that is unless you are only irrigating
>a small area and have a dam that has a capacity that well exceeds this
use.>>
>I hope that will be the case. I have too much water in spring running
through
>and around pond area that I'd like to impound for other uses especially
later
>in hot , dry summer months.
>
><<Another strategy is were we instruct clients to sensitively
>harvest seedheads etc. of local riparian species and then simply scatter
>them on the water, where eventually wave action will bring them back to
>shore where they will naturally find their niche at the appropriate
>water/dampness level.>> Good idea...what species would be recommended for
>southern KY ...USDA Zone 6?
>
><<With islands you nearly always compromise dam depth.>>  Not sure I follow
>this.  Please explain in detail.
>
>I really don't intend the island to be very large...perhaps only 10*15'
with
>irregular gently sloping sides?  Is that size OK? would you need to make it
>larger? for other reasons?
>
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
>To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked]

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:59:28 EDT

Hi Claude, everybody
In a message dated 8/3/99 3:00:37 AM, [email-masked] writes:

<<Sorry to ask so many questions in one e-mail>>  Fire away Claude...that's 
how we'll learn. Real good questions too...am anxious to hear the replies.  
I'd like to have some ducks...but I wouldn't want a soupy, polluted pond 
either:)

If you get a private replies please share them with the list.  BFN   Frank

---

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

> Do you divert it to your gardens?  to a subsidiary holding area?

To small catchments (ditches where rich silt may accumulate) near or
beside your gardens, to very small ponds or pools with aquaculture
systems, to a wetland area or to s succession of smaller ponds
(see Mollison's Designer's Manual for details on this).
 
> I'm especially interested with working ducks into the mix.

See my post descibing using lespedeza for this (and many other plants, of
course). Some types of plantings in dry areas that exist as catchment and
for erosion control might be called constructed drylands for nutrient-rich
runoff or greywater remediation.

---