Subject: Kaua'i Island Permaculture Design Course

From: "john valenzuela" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:41:26 PST

(Please excuse any duplicate messages)

Permaculture Design Course on the Island of Kaua'i, Hawai'i

A two week intensive in sustainable systems design 

February 28 to March 14, 1999
---------------------------------------------------------------------

This year we are in Kaua'i, known as the Garden Isle, which has a rich
tradition of native agriculture and the sustainable land use system 
known as the ahupua'a. It is also the home of the first organic farmers 
organization in the state, the National Tropical Botanical Gardens and 
some very innovative aquaculture, agroforestry and tropical hard wood 
plantings. The island has recovered well from hurricane Iniki, with many 
lessons in planning for disaster. We will have many hands on projects 
and field trips to turn theory into practical application.

Instructors:

This same teaching team led a very successful design course last year on 
the island of Moloka'i. 

Michael Pilarski- founder Friends of the Trees Society, permaculture
educator writer and networker, editor of "Agroforestry Guide to Hawai'i" 
and "Restoration Forestry: An International Guide to Sustainable 
Forestry Practices" He is also an avid wildcrafter of medicinal herbs.  

Doug Bullock- horticulturist and world traveler, along with his two
brothers, Doug has developed on of the best permaculture model 
properties in the U.S., located on Orcas Island in north west Washington 
state (as seen in 'The Global Gardener' video)

Bruce Hill- raised in Argentina, has lived and travelled in other South 
American countries. He currently lives in Maui where he has been
instrumental in the development of the Kanahena Farm and propagates a 
wide variety of useful plants. 

John Valenzuela- horticulturist and educator based on the Big Island of 
Hawai'i where he specializes in home gardens, trees, ethnobotany, and 
plant propagation. He also has experience in California with 
reforestation, growing and marketing organic produce, and urban 
gardening. 

In addition, there will be many guest speakers participating.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
For registration contact: 
Eden Hurlston, PO Box 1026, Kilauea HI, 96754 
Phone numbers: 808-822-1725 or 800-767-3393 ext 5026

For site questions contact: 
Ray Maki, Permaculture Kaua'i Farm, PO Box 498, Kilauea HI, 96754  
Phone number: 808-634-5412, 
email: [email-masked]

For curriculum questions contact: 
Michael Pilarski, Friends of the Trees Society, 
PO Box 4469, Bellingham WA, 98227  
Phone number:360-724-0503

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com