Subject: Permaculture Design Course CA

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:55:09 -0400 (EDT)

From: Joe Dalsin <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture
Subject: Permaculture Design Course CA
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
  PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSES WITH BILL MOLLISON AND SCOTT PITTMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Permaculture <-- Permanent AgriCulture / Permanent Culture)

The only classes with Bill Mollison in the Northern Hemisphere in 1997!

    Bill Mollison has announced his retirement from teaching!
         This may be your last chance to take a course
              from the creator of Permaculture!

Southern California June 16-27, Near Santa Barbara
Northern California July 14-25, Near Half Moon Bay

This is a two week residential course with 72 hours of instruction.  

What are some of the things you'll learn in this course? 

 How to: 
  - Turn deserts into prairies within a year or two. 
  - "Read the land" for it's potential. 
  - Design inexpensive, environmentally sound buildings and 
    incorporate them ecologically into the landscape. 
  - Find land to farm in your community for $1 per acre per year. 
  - More than double the yield from your rangeland while 
    increasing soil fertility & the health of your herds. 
  - Avoid disaster; fully and thoroughly check out a piece of 
    land, inventory it's resources and problems before buying it. 
  - Become an Ecological Land Developer and provide as many as 
    three middle class incomes per acre in land based, value 
    added, agricultural enterprises. 
  - Rehabilitate destroyed soils to support limited agriculture 
    in a few months. 
  - Assemble high yield food forests. 
  - Create Oases in drylands-Growing trees without irrigation 
    using only 6 inches of rainfall. 
  - Desalinate salted land 

What's Special about these Courses? 

  Of course, any time Bill Mollison teaches, the course is special. 

Other unique aspects are: 

  - Our strong international recruitment, you'll be learning
    alongside colleagues from other countries. 

  - New material developed since the publication of Permaculture: A
    Designers' Manual. For instance, detailed information on the 
    nuts and bolts of CSA farming, retirement crops, how to devise 
    your farm/organization's legal structure to avoid paying 
    unnecessary taxes, examples of making a living in ways that 
    don't cause you to compromise your ecological/social values, 
    and Mollison's "Next Phase of Permaculture"-designing whole, 
    "self-building" fully self-sustaining towns. 
          
  - Invaluable new written handouts, illustrations & resource lists. 

  - Food will be largely organic and purchased or donated directly 
    from the farmers who produce it!!! 
  
  - Special guest presentations in the evenings. 

  - Scholarships to encourage participation by people of diverse 
    cultural and economic backgrounds. 
  
  - "Trade show" day with suppliers and manufacturers of 
    appropriate tech products which may be relevant to your own projects. 
  
  - College credit, and PCA credits applied for. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information check out the Web site at: 
      www.permaculture-institute.org

Or write Dave Blume at: [email-masked]

Or write "real" mail to:

International Institute for Ecological Agriculture(IIEA)
PO Box 620930
Woodside, CA  94062-0930

Tel: 415-365-2993, Fax: 415-355-2241

---

From: David Webb <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:19:59 -0700

IF YOU'RE UNABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN BILL MOLLISON'S CLASSES (BELOW),
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS CAN ALSO OBTAIN "HANDS-ON" EXPERIENCE
YEAR-ROUND AT THE OCCIDENTAL ARTS & ECOLOGY CENTER.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: DAVE HENSON <[email-masked]>

David Webb
Bioponic International
http://www.bioponic.com

---

From: Loren Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 14:19:31 -0700

>FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: DAVE HENSON <[email-masked]>

Physical contact info:

Occidental Arts and Ecology Center (OAEC)
15290 Coleman Valley Road, Occidental, CA 95465
tel: (707) 874-1557 fax (707) 874-1558

I believe there is one more Design Course scheduled at OAEC this summer,
from August 8-22.

This is being taught by several designers including Penny Livingston and
OAEC's Brock Dolman, and apparently will focus a bit more on the Northern
California bioregions than Bill Mollinson's class.  Cost is $750 including
lodging.  I'm signed up for this class, and am greatly looking forward to it.

Loren
--
Loren Davidson      
[email-masked]         http://www.batnet.com/beauty/
"Avoid cliches like the plague"  -- Anon.

---

From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 08:15:25 -0700

Building the
Natural Community
A two-week intensive Permaculture Design Course

Date: September 6th-19th, 1997
Location: Wild Thyme Farm
	       Oakville, WA

Description: Wild Thyme Farm, a 140 acre evolving permaculture site and
resource center, is located in the Chehalis river valley just 35 minutes
South of Olympia, WA.  Situated within its own watershed the farm features
a 100 acre second growth forest, turn-of-the-century barn, fruit & nut
orchards, greenhouses, sauna, gardens, hot tub, streams, pond, cottages,
and various micro-climates ranging from ridge-top meadows to low-land
marshes and flood plains.  Wild Thyme Farm has been a retreat center since
1989 and integrative permaculture principles have guided its evolution.  
	This two-week intensive design course will examine the fundamentals of
developing sustainable villages and communities that are bioregionally
unique.  Elements of village design to be discussed include: local
economics, appropriate building strategies, edible landscaping,
agroforestry, cottage industries, aquaculture, mushroom cultivation, site
analysis, natural education, bamboo, livestock & wildlife, food forests,
systems theory, and much, much more.  Information is presented through such
mediums as slide shows, lecture, hands-on demonstrations, field trips, and
observation walks.  Participants completing the entire course will receive
a Permaculture Design Course Graduate certificate.
	Instructors include: Larry Santoyo; a world renowned permaculture designer
& educator who has worked directly with Bill Mollison.  Larry is one of the
foremost urban permaculture designers in the U.S. and has developed
sustainable industry programs for several major U.S. corporations.  Paul
Stamets; owner of Fungi Perfecti, the largest mushroom research facility in
the NW.  Paul has been pioneering permaculture strategies for
re-integrating edible & medicinal mushrooms into residential & commercial
landscapes.  Simon Henderson; co-founder of Bamboo People, a NW bamboo
research & consultation firm.  Simon has traveled the world documenting
bamboo cultivation and uses.  He is author of Raising the Dragon: Bamboo
Agroforestry in Southeast Asia.  Michael Pilarski; founder of Friends of
the Trees, a NW non-profit dedicated to reforesting the world.  Michael has
been a permaculture designer for over 15 years and has more than two
decades worth of experience in international networking and sustainable
natural resource management.  Joanne Lee; has founded the South Sound
Exchange, a local economic and bartering system for the Olympia area.  She
is also involved with co-housing initiatives in Thurston County.

Cost: $675 (includes tuition, camping, materials, and all meals.
Accommodations: Camping is free.  Limited bunkhouse accommodations: $150. 
Guesthouse rooms: $200.  Please inquire as to availability.
Course is limited to 25 participants.
To register send a $75 deposit to:

	     Permaculture West
	     72 Mattson Rd.
	     Oakville, WA 98568
	     Ph: (360) 352-6509
	     Fx: (360) 273-7117
	     E-mail: [email-masked]