Subject: Poison Oak

From: [email-masked] (John Knapp)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 07:48:50 -0800

Hi,

My name is John Knapp and am relatively new to this list.  About a year ago
we bought some property in Redwood Valley, California and are in the
process of selectively clearing an area for a house and garden/orchard.

Problem is a large amount of very potent poison oak.  I removed a
significant amount by hand while the ground was soft, but eventually ended
up with a delightful rash on both arms and my stomach.  That which I remove
is tossed on existing stands of poison oak that I do not plan to clear.  I
also have been using cardboard mulch to stifle any small shoots that I
missed in the first go around.

I still have a lot more to remove, some of it in the garden area.  Most of
the garden area is depleted soil with star thistle being the predominant
species.  The best soil is near a fallen oak, surrounded by - you guessed
it - poison oak.

I have been getting tons of advice, most of it urging selective, topical
use of Round-up.  Is there something in the permaculture repertoire that is
any more effective and less lethal than what I have been doing - and a
reasonable alternative to Round-up?  The only pattern I've managed to
discern is that poison oak doesn't seem to grow under Madrone trees, but
the leaves don't seem to be toxic to established plants.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank,

John