Subject: social forestry

From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 21:08:41 -0800

I'm looking for examples (both actual & theoretical) of social forestry
projects. On our farm we have 100+ acres of well developed second growth
forest. It has occurred to me, while looking at the amazing diversity
inherent to this ecosystem, that the potential exists to develop numerous
jobs utilizing the resources of this forest. 
	In my region the forests have only been managed for one resource--timber.
This limited perspective has led to economic ruin in less than three
generations of people living in this area. It seems to me that to sustain
our region both ecologically and economically we must manifest ways to
utilize our natural resources for their diversity, not a single element.
	I have an interest and the means to develop social forestry programs
ranging from education to micro-industries. Therefore I am interested in
researching other examples of such systems. Please alert me to any
references, contacts, or other resources that may assist me in this
development.

									regards,
									kh

Kirk Hanson
C/O Permaculture West
72 Mattson Rd.
Oakville, WA 98568
ph./fx. (360) 273-7117
e-mail: [email-masked]