Subject: Silphium, Cup Plant

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:56:20 -0500

Does anyone know the species name and any particulars about "Cup Plant",
which I believe is a Silphium? Did I hear you mention this one once, Dan? 

Thanks, 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:07:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jack,

<Does anyone know the species name and any particulars about "Cup Plant",
which I believe is a Silphium?>

"S. perfoliatum L. (Cup Plant): Usually found in damp woods and thickets and
other low places."

>From Egbert W. Fell's Flora of Winnebago County, Illinois 1955

Sue

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:07:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jack,

Sue

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:33:50 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-10-27 15:16:43 EST, you write:

<< Does anyone know the species name and any particulars about "Cup Plant",
 which I believe is a Silphium? Did I hear you mention this one once, Dan?

Silphium perfoliatum (cup plant) is in Composite family and is square stemmed
perennial, 3-8 ft tall, with a flower like a small sunflower (July to Sept.
here).  Opposite leaves join together around the stem to form a distinctive,
water-holding cup.

We planted some here (by digging some roots from an abandoned patch) in a
demonstration swale at Rodale Institute in SE PA and it has done well this
rather dry summer.

Roots may have medicinal properties.

Bill Heasom

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 17:03:27 GMT

Jack,
	It features in the Plants for a Future database,
although theres not much info.

NAME Silphium perfoliatum | Cup plant | Compositae | 
REF  43, 200 | L. | 1 | 0
TYPE Perennial |  | 2.5 |  | 4
RNGE Eastern N. America - Ontario to South Dakota, south to Georgia, 
Missouri and Oklahoma.
HAB  Rich woods, thickets, river banks and prairies[43].
HZRD None known
SOIL LMH | 0 | ANB | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
POSN SN | M |  |  | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
GROW  | 0 | 0
TIME  | 7 | 8
FLWR H | Insects | 
EDIB None known
MED  The root is alterative, antispasmodic, diaphoretic, febrifuge, hepatic, 
stimulant and tonic. It is used in the treatment of liver and spleen 
disorders[4, 61].
USE  None known
CULT Succeeds in any ordinary garden soil[1]. Prefers a deep moisture 
retentive moderately fertile soil that is not too nitrogen rich, in sun or 
dappled shade[200].
Hardy to at least -25°c[187].
Plants have a deep and extensive root system which makes transplanting 
difficult.
PROP Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a greenhouse[200]. Prick out 
the seedlings into individual pots as soon as they are large enough to handle 
and plant them out in the summer.
Division in spring[188]. This is very difficult due to the deep and 
extensive root system.

details of the hyroglyphs can be found at
	http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/D_ascii.html

		Hope its of use

			Rich