Subject: Food Security Conf, FL

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 20:03:51 EDT

FOOD SECURITY CONFERENCE:
RECOVERING OUR RIGHTS TO BASIC SUSTENANCE AND 
UNCOVERING THE CORPORATE AND MILITARY/INDUSTRIAL 
QUEST FOR FOOD MONOPOLY 

CONFERENCE AGENDA			
St. Thomas University	Miami, Florida 	June 6, 1998 

9am - 10am	Registration/ Coffee & Tea

10am - 10:30	Introduction by Carol Mosley, State Co-coordinator of 
Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice	Musical introduction by Dan Kauffman

10:30 - noon	Panel Discussion I:	Rebecca Schleifer, Esq. (Migrant
Farmworker Justice Project, Florida Legal Services)	Cathy Gilbert
(Radiation and Public Health Project)	Gerrie DeVoe ("Food
Irradiation Consequences")

noon - 12:30	Initiation of "Triumph of the Commons" food tree planting

12:30 - 1:30pm	Realities check luncheon

1:30 - 2:15pm 	Keynote Speaker: Delia Quigley
	(Host of environmental and alternative health radio show in New
Jersey; founder and president of Women for a Safe Future; author of two
vegetarian cookbooks)

2:15 - 2:30pm	Break

2:30 - 4pm	Panel Discussion II:	Marty Mesh (Director, Florida Certified
Organic
Growers Association, Inc.)	Cynthia Cowen (Chairperson for Miami
chapter of Earth Save International)	Dan Hemenway, (Founder of
Elfin Permaculture/Yankee Permaculture Publications) 

4 -5pm	Plenary discussion/ Wrap-up			

ABOUT THE PARTICIPANTS

Delia Quigley:	Delia is author of two acclaimed vegetarian cookbooks and
host of "Food For Thought" on WNTI in New Jersey. She is founder and
president of Women For a Safe Future. Delia is a Kushi certified
Macrobiotic chef, Jin Shin Jyutsu therapist and Yoga instructor. She also
worked closely with Dr. Wally Burnstein, founder of Food and Water, Inc.,
on numerous environmental issues from 1993 to 1996.

Rebecca Schleifer:	Rebecca is staff attorney with the Migrant Farmworker
Justice Project in Belle Glade and has membership in the California,
Florida and Washington state bars and the American Public Health
Association. She is co-author of a March 1998 report on "Indifference to
Safety: Florida Investigation into Pesticide Poisoning of
Farmworkers.

Cathy Gilbert: 	Most recently, Cathy has been working
with Dr. Jerry Brown of the Radiation and Public Health Project studying
the effects of low-level nuclear radiation which makes its way into our
food and water supply. Gerrie DeVoe:	Gerrie is a longtime activist
and concerned citizen opposing food irradiation for many years. She has
done extensive research on this issue and will address her findings on
the information that has not been publicized.

Marty Mesh:	Marty is
the Executive Director for the Florida Certified Organic Growers and
Consumers, Inc. (FOG). The goal of FOG is to assist organic growers to
become certified and to distribute information to farmers and consumers
about organic and sustainable agricultural practices.

Cynthia Cowen:	Cynthia is chairperson for the Miami chapter of EarthSave
International and former co-ordinator of the Vegetarian Studies program
at Miami Dade Community College Environmental Center

Dan Hemenway:	Dan is founder of Elfin Permaculture outreach and
educational program and Yankee Permaculture publications. He is
recognized as among the most innovative teachers of Permaculture design
and concept. Dan is also founder, editor and publisher of The
International Permaculture Solutions Journal and PROD (Permaculture
Review Overview and Digest). He is program director of APT (Advanced
Permaculture Training), founder of FERN (Forest Ecosystem Rescue Network)
and active in related movements, such as remineralization.

PROGRAM CO-SPONSORS
St. Thomas University Center for Justice and Peace; 
Miami Chapter of EarthSave International; 
NALITH Foundation; 
Wild Oats Market, Pinecrest; Florida Green Party; 
Food Not Bombs, Gainesville & St. Petersburg; 
Florida Certified Organic Growers, Inc.;   
Grandparents For Peace, St. Agustine; 
Jerry Bosworth; 
Metanoia Community, Jacksonville; 
Brevardians for Peace and Justice Florida

Coalition for Peace & Justice, P.O. Box 90035, Gainesville, Florida
32607; (352)468-3295; [email-masked];    www.afn.org/~fcpj/