Subject: PANUPS: Resource Pointer #211

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:42:28 -0700 (PDT)

===========================================
P A N U P S
Pesticide Action Network Updates Service
===========================================

Resource Pointer #211

June 23, 1999

For copies of the following resources, please contact the appropriate 
publishers or organizations directly.

*UCSC Farm and Garden Apprenticeship, April 17-October 20, 2000, 
Santa Cruz, CA* Six-month training course in organic gardening and 
farming sponsored by the Center for Agroecology and Sustainable 
Food Systems, University of California, Santa Cruz. Emphasizes 
hands-on learning, working side-by-side with instructors, and class 
instruction on organic horticultural methods. Covers soil preparation, 
composting, sowing, cultivation, propagation, irrigation, pest/disease 
control and marketing through a Community Supported Agriculture 
(CSA) project. US$3,000 plus additional costs for books, tools and 
food. Apply by September 1 (international applicants), November 1 
(U.S. and Canadian citizens). Contact Apprenticeship Information, The 
Center for Agroecology, UC Santa Cruz, 1156 High St., Santa Cruz, 
CA 95064; phone (831) 459-2321; fax (831) 459-2799; email 
[email-masked]

*Research Methods in Organic Farming, September 5-7, 1999. Bari, 
Italy* Workshop sponsored by Sustainable Rural Environment and 
Energy Network (SREN), UN Food and Agriculture Organization 
Regional Office for Europe (FAO/ROE), and Mediterranean 
Agronomic Institute Bari of the International Center for Advanced 
Mediterranean Agronomic Studies (CIHEAM-IAMB). Focus will be 
on-farm research. Sessions will include animal welfare, strategies for 
increasing producer value, networking and pilot farms. Free. Limited to 
30 participants. Contact Professor R. Zanoli, DIBIAGA, Faculty of 
Agriculture, University of Ancona, Via Brecce Bianche, I-61031 
Ancona, Italy; phone (39-71) 220-4929; fax (39-71) 220-4858; email 
[email-masked]

*Third Annual Meeting of the Community Food Security Coalition, 
October 15-17, 1999. Chicago, IL* Conference sponsored by GreenNet 
and Heifer Project International. Workshops, short courses, and field 
trips will be offered. Topics will include asset mapping, community 
development, and food system assessment. Fee to be announced. 
Contact Andy Fisher, CFS Coalition, P.O. Box 209, Venice, CA 90294; 
phone (310) 822-5410; email [email-masked]; website 
http://www.foodsecurity.org

*International and National "Organic" Standards in the EU, 1998* 
Lizzie Melby Jespersen. Presents text and results of a detailed 
questionnaire on international, national and private systems of organic 
standards in the European Union. Covers standards for farm 
conversion, crops and animal products. 182 pp. Free. Contact Jesper 
Lund-Larsen, General Workers Union, Kampmannsgade 4, Box 391, 
DK 1790, Copenhagen, Denmark; phone (45-33) 97-2406; fax (45-33) 
97-2402; email [email-masked]

*Food Security: Factors that Could Affect Progress toward Meeting 
World Food Summit Goals, 1999* U.S. General Accounting Office 
(GAO). Reviews outcome of 1996 World Food Summit. Identifies 
factors influencing developing countries' potential to fulfill food 
security goals. Discusses trade, food prices and grain reserves; 
emergency and non-emergency food aid; role of violent conflict; 
increasing agricultural production in developing countries; and more. 
101 pp. Free. Contact U.S. GAO, P.O. Box 37050, Washington, DC 
20013; phone (202) 512-6000; fax (202) 512-6061; website 
http://www.gao.gov

We encourage those interested in having resources listed in the 
PANUPS Resource Pointer to send review copies of publications, 
videos or other resources to our office.

===========================================
Pesticide Action Network North America (PANNA)
49 Powell St., Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94102 USA
Phone: (415) 981-1771
Fax: (415) 981-1991
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.panna.org

To subscribe to PANUPS, send email to [email-masked]
with the following text on one line in the body of the message:
subscribe panups
To unsubscribe, use this text:
unsubscribe panups
===========================================

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail