Subject: Rhus glabra / Guild

From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 11:32:43 +0100

Hi!
I have 'inherited' a young sumac (Rhus glabra). It is not native here (in
Ireland) so I don't know about the plant species it would be associated
with in its natural habitat in the Eastern US. I'd like to underplant it
with something at least resembling its 'natural partners'. Grateful for any
comments.
Thanks,
UteB

---

From: FionaNyx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 23:13:46 EDT

According to a book I have on plant associations (American Plants for American
Gardens, by Edith Roberts and Elsa Rehmann, 1996), Rhus Glabra  (Smooth
Sumach) is listed in two types of settings, open fields (hedgerows of), and
Juniper hillsides.  In both, it is listed among the shrubs.  There are over 3
pages of species listed for each which I'm not going to type in-- but maybe if
you reply with some of your options I can help you select among them.  

Just to run through a few species-- raspberry & blueberry, viburnum, asters,
roses, veronica, achillea millefolium, monardas, lobelias, goldenrods,
cinquefoils, clovers,  buttercups, violets, barberry, St.John's wort, and
ferns.  To me,  these species suggest a tolerance of poor soil, predominating
toward the acid.

Happy planting,  ~~Sherry

---

From: "Guy Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:11:17 -0500

Hello-
	I would concur with much of what has been said about the Sumac.  It tends
to grow in "WASTE AREAS" and suckers profusely to form large colonies.  It
grows in roadside cuts here in Missouri.  These areas are where Echinacea
(Echinacea purpurea and pallida), Goldenrod (Solidago spp), Yarrow
(Achillea spp), Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carrota) and other plants thrive.
 This same area is often densely populated by Teasel (Dipsicum fullum I
believe).  The sumacs are tolerant of nearly all soil conditions, except
wet feet.  To quote Michael Dirr's excellent Manual of Woody Landscape
Plants:
	Smooth Sumac grows 9 to 15' high with a comparable spread.  	Usually grows
in colonies as it suckers and develops in all directions 	from the mother
plant.  This is very evident in plantings which occur 	along railroad
tracks and other waste areas.  The foliage is medium 	green in summer
changing to excellent orange-red-purple 	combinations in fall.  Flowers are
dioecious greenish, June-July, 	borne in 6 to 10" long panicles.  Fruit is
a scarlet, hairy drupe which 	persists late into winter.  Good plant for
mass plantings, highways, 	dry, poor soil areas....The essential difference
between this species and 	R. typhina (Staghorn Sumac) is the lack of
pubescence on the young 	stems...Cultivated 1620.  Zone 2 to 9.

Enjoy.
Namaste',
Guy Clark