Subject: Overwhelmed PDC grads WAS Internships

From: Rhys Howitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 22:15:36 +1100

>> To quote Skye:
>> " The minimum of 72 hours for the Design Certificate Course is obviously
barely sufficient to scratch the surface of what is possible. Many
participants leave these courses with a sense of being overwhelmed, and have
difficulty deciding where to start.<
>>
>I can only agree with this. Perhaps the sense of being overwhelmed and
>confused explains why many PDC graduates simply fade form the
>permaculture scene.
>
Any PDC course which did otherwise would not be credible in my view.  If you
at least learn what you do not know, that's a very important step.

This is a bit like martial arts: you strive for years to achieve a black
belt, then discover that you have only just begun.

What people will hopefully do then is continue their own learning, and
develop areas of speciality.  That's a pretty healthy process IMHO.

Regards

Rhys Howitt
Crossroads Medieval Village Co-operative
Yass, Australia

---

From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:12:51 +1000

Hi Rhys and Skye,
I have learnt from having a student centred focused course that you
can challenge students starting from where they are at and working
one-step-at-a-time
to where they could be.
We cover all the requirements of the PDC but try to allow the student to
focus
on what they need to learn in order to get where they want.
Often students return to the course notes years later for their next stage
of development.
It is sad to meet people who have done a PDC and not done anything more with
the knowledge,
my course really fired me up - I realised immediately that I had to know
more, try stuff out -
but it was taken at the right time in my life, after I had already blundered
about trying
swales and seed raising etc.
Still blundering on,
this weekend we are entered into a Waste Busters competition,
garden is open Sat only 10am to 4pm (for ye local yokles)
Regards,
April

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
April Sampson-Kelly ADPA,BCA,MCA,GradSci,PDC
LC Permaculture Visions
leaders in permaculture learning by correspondence
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
GOOD PLANETS ARE HARD TO FIND
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----