Subject: Re: hedgerow plants

From: "Guy Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 12:49:05 -0500

Michael-
	According to Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, Common Seabuckthorn
(Hippophae rhamnoides) is hardy to Zone 3 (-40).  He says it does tend to
form large colonies by suckering profusely, but he does not curse it by
calling it invasive.  It is supposed to have a bright orange fruit which is
drupe-like.  He says that it is one of the best plants for winter fruit
color.  It is nitrogen fixing; in fact, it is in the same family as the
Autumn Olive.  He says that it can be a bit difficult to get started.  It
prefers an infertile, sandy soil with a moist subsoil.  It is salt tolerant
and should be planted in a ratio of 6 females to one male for proper
pollination (much like Ilex verticillata).  It is apparently hard to sex
the plants so you may end up with all non-fruiting plants.
Namaste',
Guy Clark
Fertile Crescent Farm
310 Hartley Court
Columbia, MO  65201
573.449.GROW
[email-masked]

---

From: lbarnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 21:13:15 -0500

Guy, one can "sex" seeds and plants by dowsing. People have been dowsing
sex for chicken eggs for years (to allow separation of roosters from
hens). I believe you can learn how to sex dioecious plants this way
also. Easiest way is to program a pendulum to indicate male or female.
Probably too radical of an idea to be noted in Dirr! Happy trails, Lee.

---

From: lbarnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 21:13:15 -0500