Subject: Re: understory to hardy nuts?

From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 01:31:16 -0700

Hi there,
	I'm not from your zone, quite a different one actually - it's not the
twilight zone but close...the Pacific NW.  I've just begun experimenting
with understory plants beneath my nut orchard as well.  I've done some
research into the matter and the following is the synthesis of that
research.  I think most of what I've come up with will be applicable in
Wisconsin, if not it's at least worthy of consideration.

	I have intercropped black alders with my black walnuts.  The alder will
fix nitrogen and provide a valuable hardwood when I cut them once the
walnut canopy closes.  We have caged all these trees and soon will be
ranging a couple cows through the area to keep the grass and weeds down as
well as to fertilize the ground.
	With my shagbark hickories I have interplanted eleagnus umbellata (autumn
olive).  The latter will also fix nitrogen and attract birds to its
berries.  I will also soon innoculate the alder chip mulch beneath these
trees with Stropharia rugoso-annulata (King Stropharia), a giant mushroom
prized for its culinary virtues.  The mushroom culture is an experiment in
nutrient fixation and release from the woodchip medium. 
	I have also been broadcasting crimson clover and vetch on the bare soil
and/or mulch around the newly planted nut trees.  Once they've flowered
they're absolutely beautiful.
	A nut orchardist near me is ranging sheep beneath most of his trees.  By
their nature they are grazers rather than browsers so will manage the grass
and weeds but leave the trees alone. 

	Let me know what other information you come across.  I have a small grove
of chestnuts that I've yet to decide how to fertilize or manage as a
polyculture.

---

From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 11:06:42 +1000

Beware of sheep - they can and will compact the soil, and as they 
are decended for an animal like a goat - don't turn your back on them.
chickens are fine for mature trees but they too, can be destructive when
they
have a mind too, why not use geese as a cover crop! You can sell the eggs
or meat or feathers and they will convert existing greens into fertilizer,
contribute to the wetness of the soil with their wet padding.  Ducks are 
ideal but eat less grasses.  They only need a small amount of water
not a huge outlay.  This keeps the soil covered with a low binding of weeds
and grasses and enables you to harvest easily,  I would consider putting in
some
small hedges that aid harvest by directing nuts down hill (not planted
across the contour 
as this may trap the nuts.)  Then you can trap the nuts where you want
them.

I have just returned from a long holiday in Shetland Ireland and UK. After
Shetland I am
afraid I agree with my WA friends that sheep should be called paddock lice.
 I love trees
and like them to have a fair chance.
April 

April Sampson-Kelly
www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
My space can make this world a better place

----------
> From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: understory to hardy nuts?
> Date: Friday, August 29, 1997 7:07 PM
> 
> We have a planting project called the Theatre of Plant.  7 acres of
> former pasture on the dark side of a creek valley.  Zone 4 Wisconsin. 
> My overstory planting is all manner of nut that will grow in WI.  Im
> interested in entertaining suggestion of possible understory plants for
> the buartnut, butternut, walnut plantings & for the chestnut plantings. 
> I have a pretty good idea but would really like to get some surprise
> suggestions.
> 
> Also most of the trees are 2-3 years old & are just now starting to take
> off, especially since the actual way that trees get established here in
> the cold north is they die back to the ground for 2-3 years & then after
> that start to take off.  Any way my further question is does it make
> sense to start putting understory plants in at this early stage.  I know
> the obvious answer would be cover crops but we have neither the money or
> did I want to do anymore tilling on this land that has lain fallow for
> 20 years.
> 
> Miekal And
> 
> I second the notion that the juicy response to cover crop resources was
> quite entertaining as a one time intervention.  Gave me a good laugh
> anyway.
> 
> 
> -- 
> @#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#
> Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime
> QAZINGULAZA: And/Was/Wakest website:
> http://net22.com/qazingulaza
> e-mail for DT & And/Was: [email-masked]