Subject: Re: Worm wood

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:57:10 EST

In a message dated 2/18/99 9:46:05 PM, you wrote:

<<Hello all - 
      I am ready to build a vermicomposting bin.   Since I don't want to buy a
plastic bin or build with wood which will rot one day, I had thought about
using
some leftover scrap pieces of plastic lumber from an outdoor porch floor - 
which would not rot or warp.  The recycled plastic in them is very compact & 
one of these boards is much heavier than a normal wood board.   But does
plastic 
lumber outgas?  Too much for worms?   
          TIA - john>>

Hey John,
What is wrong with a pile.  Compost does not need resources diverted to make a
container inorder to rot.  Compost happens!

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email.  Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA  Internships. [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html