Subject: Re: Plant awareness

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 08:38:44 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/21/97 9:58:39 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

>It has been 65 years since Sir Jagadis Chandra Bose (1858-1932) died. During
>his career, he demostrated beyond scientific doubt that plants replicate the
>functions of animals and humans in nearly complete analog. His work,
although
>resisted for many years by the botanical establishment, was finally accepted
>by the ultra conservative Royal Society and published in the heavily peer
>reviewed magazine "Nature."

I'm sure friend Milo meant to indicate that animals attempt to replicate some
of the functions of plants, given that their existence predicates the
existence of animals.  Animals, of course, cannot photosynthesize to the
extent that plants do.  While some plants are motile, particularly in the
reproductive phase, with swimming and gliding being common, true flying and
running about remains the forte of animals.  Of course it is reasonable to
assume that through co-evolution plants caused animals to do this, saving
them the trouble of carrying seed from one place to another.  In this regard,
animals can be seen as the servants of plants.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email.  One is now underway.  Next Live program:  Paraguay, 9/98.
Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA  [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

---

From: Gordon Watkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 10:57:59 -0600

While animals may not directly photosynthesize to the extent of plants,
corals, clams and other reef invertebrates do harbor algae in their
tissue which, through photosynthesis, share nutrients with their host.
This fairly recent discovery explains why such a nutrient desert as
coral reefs can support such a huge and diverse biomass.
					Gordon Watkins

---

From: Gordon Watkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 10:57:59 -0600