Subject: Re: cover crop resources

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:42:25 +0100

Hi,
	Just to say that Plants For a Future has got a little
information about ground cover plants
	http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/grdcover.html
as well as a checklist of 250 plants which can be used for ground cover.
	http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/ground1.html
Although I'm not sure if they are anything like as comprehensive
as the other resources mentioed so far.

		Rich

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:07:28 +0100

We have a planting project called the Theatre of Plant.  7 acres of
former pasture on the dark side of a creek valley.  Zone 4 Wisconsin. 
My overstory planting is all manner of nut that will grow in WI.  Im
interested in entertaining suggestion of possible understory plants for
the buartnut, butternut, walnut plantings & for the chestnut plantings. 
I have a pretty good idea but would really like to get some surprise
suggestions.

Also most of the trees are 2-3 years old & are just now starting to take
off, especially since the actual way that trees get established here in
the cold north is they die back to the ground for 2-3 years & then after
that start to take off.  Any way my further question is does it make
sense to start putting understory plants in at this early stage.  I know
the obvious answer would be cover crops but we have neither the money or
did I want to do anymore tilling on this land that has lain fallow for
20 years.

Miekal And

I second the notion that the juicy response to cover crop resources was
quite entertaining as a one time intervention.  Gave me a good laugh
anyway.

-- 
@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#
Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime
QAZINGULAZA: And/Was/Wakest website:
http://net22.com/qazingulaza
e-mail for DT & And/Was: [email-masked]

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:07:28 +0100

Miekal And

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 11:23:39 +0100

Im not content to see this "discussion" about guilds laid to rest yet. 
Dan H mentioned that he thot it was one of Mollison's weaker ideas, that
there are no ready made answers when it comes to species selection.  &
while I agree that nothing replaces knowing the plants & what will work
& what wont work, I also think that there are ways of thinking of design
that build upon nature & evolutionary affinities that some plants have
with other plants.  Companion planting has been mentioned tho in my book
I think of garden annuals.  I am also quite interested in designs that
further the ideas of Alan Kapuler & Olaf Brentmar & co-evolutionary
gardening, which I see as a taxonomical guild system.  

Also for the record I wonder if the notion of guilds actually originates
from Mollison, I believe that indigenous agriculture has been enlarging
upon these notions forever, for instance the 3 sisters & medicine
gardens are 2 that come to mind.  But then what is a guild?

Miekal And

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 11:23:39 +0100

Miekal And