Subject: Re: labeling (fwd)

From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 19:18:38 -0000

Just came across this reference. Maybe it's of interest, haven't checked it
out .

RECENT ADDITIONS TO AGECON SEARCH
http://agecon.lib.umn.edu

January 29, 1998

Audrae ERICKSON; Carol S. KRAMER-LEBLANC
ECOLABELS: THE LINK BETWEEN ENVIRONMENTAL PREFERENCES 
AND GREEN PRACTICES?
Regional Research Project NE-165: Private Strategies, 
Public Policies, and Food System Performance, University 
of Massachusetts, Dept. of Resource Economics, Amherst, 
MA 01003
1997
Strategy and Policy in the Food System: Emerging Issues, 
Proceedings of NE-165 Conference, June 20-21, 1996, 
Washington, D.C., edited by Julie A. Caswell and Ronald 
W. Cotterill; Part Four, Consumer Preferences and 
Labeling, Chapter 15
http://agecon.lib.umn.edu/ne165/n1659615.pdf

...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 19:21:55 EST

In a message dated 98-01-29 08:43:52 EST, [email-masked] writes:

> Most of the fruit in the supermarkets where I shop now has little sticky
>  labels with a specific number.  So far, I have not found out what the
number
>  signifies.

It is a code number to the store's computer database of produce.  Usually,
produce will be coded by type and variety.

---

From: "Guy Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:40:19 -0600

Hello-
	Rex and Craig talked about the little sticky labels with PLU codes and the
desire to label all food so consumers can make informed purchasing
decisions.  I agree wholeheartedly and think that the outrage over the
Proposed Standard and the McLibel laws being pushed across the country,
including here in Missouri, can be the launching pad for a movement to get
all inputs in all food labeled.  People are scared shitless about food
safety and mad as hell at the government and the purveyors of filthy food. 
We have the wedges, we need to hammer away at them to split the
out-of-scale agricultural/pharmaceutical/culinary complex apart.  Remember
the formation of soil starts with physical weathering that leads to a tiny
crack in the rock.  We are seeing hairline fractures all over the place. 
Stuff is falling in there and microbes are starting to work (all puns
intended).  Soon our scattered seeds will take root spreading the crack
wider, eventually the rock will split.  It is an inevitable, but slow
process.  It is a natural process and we are a natural force.  And
remember, "Nature Bats Last!"
Namaste',
Guy Clark