Subject: Soil toxin bioremediation

From: Kirk Hanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 09:23:48 -0700

Hello permies,
	An intern e-mailed this question to me and I would like to draw upon our 
virtual community to find some answers.  Please send responses to: 
[email-masked]

I'm wondering if you could give me some suggestions?......
Im writing a paper for my Environmental Toxicology program.  I've learned
that in the past, and maybe presently too, people have used certain
pesticides, etc, that have contained Lead, Arsnic, and other such
contaminants, which stay in the soil for years. I'm thinking that there
must be some plant or fungus that you could grow there which could be
used to re-capture those toxins and make the land usable again.  Do you
know anything about the use of cover crops, etc. that have been or could
be used in situations such as these.  Along the same line I might talk
about these poisonings in the human system and what plants could be used
for healing the people exposed.  If you have any book titles or web pages
you could direct me to I would appreciate it.

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "A Pilling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:45:10 -0600

There was a series of articles on "Green Remediation" in The Growing
Edge, starting in Volume 8, Number 3, Spring 1997.  I hope this
provides a good lead or two... I am looking forward to the group's
responses. I am interested in strategies for lead removal from soil.
-----Original Message-----
From: Kirk Hanson <[email-masked]>
To: permaculture <[email-masked]>
Date: Saturday, May 22, 1999 10:50 AM
Subject: Soil toxin bioremediation

...that there

---

---

From: Kevin Topek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 22:26:21 -0400

Regarding lead remediation in soil:
    At the Eco Fair in Austin, Texas four years ago there was a symposium on hemp. The
issue of lead contaminated soil in Hungary was addressed and hemp was being used as the
remedial crop. The hemp seed was then pressed for oil and the high concentration of
lead in the hemp oil made it very suitable for stable paint base.  This application was
for non food consumption. I do not remember the refering source, try Hemptech.
    Hempstead, Texas was founded by Sherwin Williams to grow hemp seed for oil based
paints.

---

---

From: "Jeremy Sharp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:53:48 -0700

yes more bioacummulations species  foks  names no.  info  go gol gol gol 
SonoPerm
----------
>From: Kevin Topek <[email-masked]>
>To: "permaculture" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Soil toxin bioremediation
>Date: Sun, May 23, 1999, 7:26 PM
>

>You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]

---