Subject: South Central Community Garden Conference This Summer in Houston, TX

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:16:04 -0400 (EDT)

June 9, 1997
Melanie Gross
[email-masked]
South Central Community Garden Conference This Summer in Houston, TX 

Dear Community Gardeners and Supporters:

Urban Harvest, a  nonprofit community garden and orchard program in 
Houston, Texas, is proud to present the 
First Annual South Central Community Garden Conference, August 22 - 23, 
at the Houston Arboretum and Nature 
Center.  We are very excited about the event and we hope you can make the 
trip.  The conference will provide 
an informal, yet informative session for community gardeners, supporting 
agencies, and individuals.  
Participants will have the opportunity to network, share ideas and learn 
what fellow community gardeners are 
doing throughout the south central states.

Mohammed Nuru, Executive Director of the San Francisco League of Urban 
Gardeners (SLUG), will be our keynote 
speaker.  Panel discussions are planned for both days and topics will 
range from organizing a school garden to 
funding community gardens to developing market garden strategies.  
Community gardeners, horticulturists, 
teachers, and community development agencies will be our panelists.

The conference will end with a bus tour of several types of gardens 
affiliated with Urban Harvest.  If you are 
interested in taking the tour, please indicate so on the registration 
form.  There will be space at the 
arboretum for those who would like to set up a display of their program.  
If your organization is interested, 
please contact us by August 8th to reserve table space.

Enclosed is a copy of the tentative agenda and registration form.  If you 
have any questions, suggestions, or 
would like to serve on a panel, please call me at 713-880-5540.  You will 
receive a confirmation packet 
containing the final agenda and other conference materials by the first 
week in July.  We look forward to 
seeing you there!

Best regards:

Melanie Gross
[email-masked]