Subject: Re: Help-Hornets!

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence F. London, Jr.)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:20:46 GMT

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 06:57:17 -0700, Toby Hemenway
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Should I do anything or wait it out? Has anyone been through this before?
>As more fruit comes on will this be less of a problem or will the hornets
>continue to multiply-yikes!-in response to new food? What are hornets'
>natural controls and can I take steps to encourage their presence? Why
>isn't the planet waist deep in hornets? What's a nice permacultural,
>ecological approach to this?

If possible, find their nests (large roundish grey papery globes
hanging from tree limbs (or elsewhere?). Follow them to see where they

have made these nests. Move the nests far enough away from your fruit
so they won't return to it.

I realize this may be difficult or impossible but it would be worth a
try.

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence F. London, Jr.)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 20:47:32 GMT

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 06:57:17 -0700, Toby Hemenway
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>What are hornets'

Ah yes. I had forgotten.
A powerful shop-vac on a long extension cord.
Us the large diameter hose plus several (2 or more)
extensions with no tip attachment. Move in on them slowly so they get
used to the changing air currents; then in they go. Then you can air
freight the lot of them, vac & all, to Dan in Florida.

The bigger the vac the quicker you can catch them; might even be worth
them time spent as you could get a few thousand in an hour's work. If
you can find the nest(s) you job will be easier. They will just hang
around the nest as you suck them in. Wear a bee viel, long sleeves and
gloves, rubber banded wrists and ankles.

---