Subject: Eco-Ag Situations Wanted 1/98 (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 23:30:54 -0500 (EST)

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Support your local organic market farmer, buy products with
 Sustainably Grown, Natural, Ecological or Biointensive labelling
   http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/vfm/   VIRTUAL FARMERS' MARKET
           http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
          [email-masked]   [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 17:12:10 -0500
From: BIODYNAMIC MAIL LIST <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Eco-Ag Situations Wanted 1/98

******************************************************************************

ECOLOGICAL FARMING-RELATED SITUATIONS WANTED Jan 1998 -

(reproduced from BIODYNAMICS: Farming and Gardening in the 21st Century,
the Journal of the Biodynamic Assoc. of North America Issue #215). See
below for instructions for posting your 'Help Wanted' or 'Position Sought'
announcements in the next issue of BIODYNAMICS.

******************************************************************************

GROWER and ASSISTANT GROWER POSITIONS OPEN at The Food Project, a youth
development and farming program in Lincoln, MA. Grower and Assistant will
plan, implement and supervise organic crop production on 8 acres of farm
land in Lincoln and 2 acres of production food lots in inner-city Boston.
Past experience in organic farming, education, and/or service work
important. Grower Position is full time year round. Assistant Grower
position is seasonal, with full time employment April - November. Send
cover letter, resume, references to Greg Gale, CO-Director, The Food
Project, P.O. Box 705, Lincoln, MA 01773. [email-masked]
***
APPRENTICE POSITIONS at Beneficial Farms CSA, Santa Fe, NM Feb-Nov 1998. We
are looking for enthusiastic women or men interested in learning more about
biodynamic gardening, the CSA process, and the laying hen business in our
unique setting. Do you enjoy physical work? Are you organized, creative,
neat, self-reliant, flexible, good-humored/natured, have leadership
qualities and work well with others? Mechanical and machine skills,
cooking, garden/farm experience? If most apply, call or write! Great shared
vegetarian meals, rustic living quarters, weekly planning meetings,
wonderful silence, and lots of sunshine in exchange for your hard work and
commitment of service. We are seeking Apprentices, visitors and guests who
are willing to commit to work for from 1 day to 9 months. (505) 422-2238.
***
FARMER-MANAGER WANTED. Laganza Farm is seeking an experienced farmer
familiar with organic and preferably bd methods to farm and further develop
an existing 20-acre organic orchard and farm beginning 2/98. Housing is
available on site, and the farmer will receive a modest stipend plus a
share in farm income. An application letter, resume of experience, and at
least two references should be mailed to Laganza Farm, P.O. Box 714,
Aguanga, CA 92536. For more info call (714) 497-2218.
***
INTERNS/APPRENTICES WANTED. Laganza Farm is a CCOF and Demeter
organic-certified CSA and demonstration site and field station for the EOS
Institute and Permaculture Institute of Southern California.The farm
comprises some 1100 trees (more than 20 varieties of apple plus peach,
pear, almond and cherry) and several hundred grape vines along with several
acres for vegetable gardens.  An application letter, resume of experience,
and at least two references should be mailed to Laganza Farm, P.O. Box 714,
Aguanga, CA 92536. For more info call (714) 497-2218.
***
APPRENTICE wanted for 1998 growing season, to help tend a research garden
of botanicals used in traditional Chinese medicine.  Full-time work, start
and end dates flexible.  Agricultural and/or perennial gardening experience
helpful but not required.  Excellent verbal and observational
skills,precision and detail orientation necessary.  Room, board, stipend
and stimulating learning environment provided.  Reply in writing to Ms.
Jean Giblette, High Falls Gardens, P.O. Box 125, Philmont, NY 12565.  No
phone calls, please.
***
CARETAKER WANTED: Flowers by the Sea is a highly diversified 45 acre farm
on the coast of N. California.  Esta. at this site last year, the operation
has been BD from the start, with uncontaminated  and fertile soil, pure
water, clean ocean air and a long, mild growing season.  The farm is
surrounded by forests, creeks and wildlands, yet only a few minutes from
services and recreation. Due to family problems, the status of the
operation is in flux.  Planning for the 1998 growing season is taking place
now, with many changes likely to take place.  An immediate need exists,
which I would like to bring to the attention of the BioDynamic community at
large: I am looking for a resident caretaker to assist me in caring for the
basic needs of the farm.  This is a very flexible position, and could be
filled by someone who worked only a few hours a week, or by a person who
wished to participate full time.  The primary requirement is compatibility
with me and the philosophy of the farm, and a genuine caring attitude that
shows in their work.  The right person could become involved in planning
and management of the business, if so desired.  A separate living facility
with an ocean view is available.  The position is available immediately. If
you have interest in becoming a part of this beautiful and dynamic
operation, please contact me via email, [email-masked].   Kermit Carter
General Manager
***
DAIRY INTERN WANTED: Two interns needed for SE WI dairy farm starting
3/1/98. In conjunction with Michaael Fields intern program we offer a hands
on learning experience in all aspects of managing a 225 acre BD seasonal
grazing operation. We offer room and board plus $400 per month. Contact
Walter Moora 2728 Rt 90, Genoa, NY 123071. (315) 364-7067.
***
EXPERIENCED GARDENER WANTED for 1998 season (Mar. 1 - Oct. 31) on a
DEMETER-certified BD farm on Vancouver island, BC. Approx. 3 acres in
vegetables, grapes, fruit and nut trees. The work will incl directing
WWOOFers and training of 1 or 2 apprentices. The farm is the center of a
larger initiative that also includes a bakery and a store, and it has
developed markets for all of its products. There is also potential for
further development and expansion. the farm can offer living quarters,
board, plus 50% share of crop sales. For the right individual this
situation has the potential for long term participation in this established
an growing community initiative. For further information contact Christoph
or Octavia Altemueller, Phone: (250) 746-4117 FAX (250) 748-4287.
***
INTERNS WANTED: Little Seed Gardens is a 7 acres NOFA certified organic
farm in Stuyvesant, NY. We offer positions for interns from May through
November. The 50-60 hr work week incl. all areas of growing and marketing.
We provide housing, stipend ($400 month), some meals, farm produce,
workman's comp. and medical insurance. training is provided on farm and
through biweekly visits to other Organic farms for study through the CRAFT
program (Cooperative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training). Applicants
should have their own transportation, the ability and desire to do
physically demanding work and good cooperative living skills. We require
and interview and farm visit. Contact: Willy Denner/Claudia Kenny, Little
Seed Gardens, P.O. Box 158, Stuyvesant, NY 12173. (518) 758-1754 or
(518) 828-1570.
***
INTERNS WANTED: Roxbury Farm is looking for people who are physically and
emotionally fit, with a dedication to agriculture and an interest in a
mechanized operation. We offer on-farm housing, food budget, $300 monthly
stipend and Worker's comp  to 3 interns for the growing season.  Roxbury
Farm is a 190 acre BD farm near Hudson, NY owned and operated by Jean-Paul
and Kelly Courtens and Betsy Cashen. We cultivate 25 acres of vegetable
crops and distribute through a CSA membership to 500 households. We raise
livestock which provide for a portion of our fertility needs and suppy meat
to our members. The farm also participates in the Collaborative Regional
Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT), a 6 mo. program in which interns
visit 12 organic and BD farms in the region. If interested, contact Betsy
Cashen or Jean-Paul Courtens at 124 Roxbury Rd., Hudson, NY 12353 or call
(518) 851-3809.
***
MATURE BD GARDENING COUPLE interested in nutrition, ecology,
Biodynamic/organic gardening, in a shared living arrangement, (available in
a La Mesa hilltop home) to maintain and produce veggies and fruits
(including tropical) for you and homeowner, whole food preparation and
house keeping. Offered:  Private quarters, small stipend and board plus
much free time for your own pursuits.  If interested please call Pat at the
office  between 10 and 3 p.m. M-F, (619) 574-7763 or FAX to (619) 574-1314.
***
DEMETER FARM WANTED  by German family to spend summer holidays (Summer
1998) Contact: Peter Kroll, Heussweg 18, 25337 Eimshorn, Germany; Telephone
+49-4121-78275; email:[email-masked].
***
VIRTUAL VOLUNTEERS NEEDED for BIODYNAMICS journal projects. Please contact
Allan Balliett at  [email-masked]

==============================================================================

Public announcments of ecological farming positions vacant, positions
sought and offers to sell or buy appropriate land or equipment for the
same, will be published for free in "BIODYNAMICS:Farming and Gardening in
the 21st Century" (both in the journal itself and via the BIODYNAMICS email
list) as a service to the natural farming community as a whole. BIODYNAMICS
reserves the right to edit all submissions and to reject any submissions
without explanation. Space is limited and inclusion will be determined by
date received and appropriateness for the publication. All submissions
directly related to biodynamics will be given priority.

Send your TYPED or very, very, neatly printed submissions to: BIODYNAMICS,
POB 3047, Shepherdstown, WV 25443, FAX (304) 876-9414 or
[email-masked] (no attachements, please).

Submissions are due on the first of the month PRECEDING the issue date.
(BIODYNAMICS appears on: Jan 1, March 1, May 1, July 1, Sept 1 and Decemer
1). If you still have questions, please contact managing editor ALLAN
BALLIETT at [email-masked]

For a sample copy of BIODYNAMICS: Farming and Gardening in the 21st Century
contact  The Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Association of America, POB
550, Kimberton, PA 19442 USA 1-800-516-7797 or join the association for
only $35 per year and receive the journal for free. VISA/AMEX/MasterCard
accepted. (International Subscriptions are higher. Contact the BDFGA for a
quote).

The BD-L e-mail list is open to all and subscribing is easy: simply send
an e-mail to:

[email-masked] and put "subscribe BD-L" in the Subject.

(Include your name and physical address in the BODY of the message.)

The Biodynamic Association Home Page: http://www.biodynamics.com