Subject: Award recognises development work

From: Fiona Campbell + Russ Grayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:31:25 +1200

A life devoted to helping others has won for a young Sydney man the
‘Weary’ Dunlop Queen’s Trust Award.

Twenty-seven year old Tony Jansen was presented the award in January
1998 on the basis of his work in overseas development assistance.

Tony’s journey has taken him to distant and isolated parts of the world.

He started out in South America, working on a permaculture project with
an agricultural focus.

On his return to Australia, Tony joined the Sydney-based development
assistance agency APACE (Appropriate Technology for Community and
Environment) for which he is now Solomon Islands project manager.

Tony’s first job for APACE was the Lalano Farming Project on the island
of Malaita. There, he learned a great deal about village agriculture
development projects which has been carried through into the APACE
agricultural program.

Returning to Australia, Tony set about designing the Kastom Garden
Project. This project started in 1994 with Tony’s return to the
Solomons. 

>From the APACE Project Centre in Honiara, Tony now manages two
additional projects - the Lauru Kastom Garden Project and the Community
Ethnobotanical Manual Project which is documenting the knowledge of the
bush food resource in the Babatana language region of the island of
Choiseul.

Much of the inspiration which put Tony on his life-path came from
completion of a permaculture design course taught by the founder of the
permaculture design system, Bill Mollison, and director of the Seed
Savers Network, Michel Fanton.

Despite a bout of malaria in 1997, Tony plans to continue his work in
the Solomons for at least another three years.

The award also validates small scale community participation projects
using low external input sustainable agriculture.

More information about the projects can be obtained from the contacts
below.
-- 
PACIFIC EDGE PERMACULTURE
Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell
PO Box 446, Kogarah NSW 2217 AUSTRALIA

Phone   02-9588 6931    (IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
Fax     9514 2611 (Mark fax: ATTN: RUSS GRAYSON - APACE) 
          (IDD-61+2+9514 2611)
Email: [email-masked]

Permaculture education, publishing, design. 
NSW co-ordinator, Australian City Farms and Gardens Network.