Subject: Desert fava source.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 17:26:34 -0500 (EST)

Try Native Seeds/Search in Tucson for desert happy favas and lots of other
dryland, highland happy peoples. Their fava grows voraciously in Berkeley CA,
too.

Native Seeds/Search
2509 N. Campbell Ave #325
Tucson AZ 85719
529 327-9123, 327-5821 fax

Milo Clark
Berkeley CA USA

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 07:50:52 -0500 (EST)

>Try Native Seeds/Search in Tucson for desert happy favas and lots of other
dryland,
>highland happy peoples. Their fava grows voraciously in Berkeley CA, too.
>
>Native Seeds/Search

Amen.  they are good folk, who have done wonders to save species and
varieties cultivated by the Native American peoples of the region, including
hiring some folk to propagate seed using traditional methods.  So both the
seeds and the methods to which they co-evolved are preserved and there is not
so much pressure for drift away from the original adapted strains.  What they
have been able to save is amazing and the world is ever after to them in
debt, almost as much as to the people who domesticated and cultured these
seeds.  In the case of favas, these are not from the North
American/Mesoamerican region of course, but were introduced by the Spanish a
half millenium ago.  Their culture and development of adapted strains by
indigenous folk is testimony to the readiness by which people close to their
environment can integrate a new biotic factor.  You not only get full value +
some when you get seeds from Native Seeds/Search, you also stack functions,
adding just a little more to their ability to continue this important and, in
this case, very well executed work.

Lets have global applause for Native Seeds/Search.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981). Next  correspondence
permaculture training by email starts in Aug., '97. Internships available.
Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA
 [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:40:00 -0400 (EDT)

A double amen. Wonderful folks. Now lets help more native seeds searchers
find what there is from the other areas of the US and world. Bob
Randall/Houston

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:13:45 -0400 (EDT)

>find what there is from the other areas of the US and world. Bob

Hi Bob

Well, a lot of of this work is beign done, as you doubtless know, by such
established groups as Kent Whealy's seed saver exchange and also smaller
groups such as some friends who are saving seed from their Mohawk heritage
(last I heard).  We're publishing a list of groups involved in such genetic
resource rescue and preservation in the next issue of PROD (Permaculture
Review, Overview and Digest.) Any nominations are welcome.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email.  Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia
Hemenway, P.O. Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA  [email-masked]