Subject: Re: Permaculture Education

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:15:30 EST

Elfin Permaculture News

Our Annual Permaculture Design Courses by Email Began  November 29.  Late 
registrations extended.

	The Third annual Elfin Permaculture Design Course Online began  November 29, 
1998.  Due to a flurry of last-minute interest, we have extended the time to
register under 
the lower "advanced payment" fee to Dec. 12.  Later registrations will be
accepted at the 
regular fee.  Students can register for the course at any time, however once a
section is 1/3 
complete, the instructor will require certificate students to take the section
over the next time 
we offer the course.  (There is no extra charge for this.)  The course runs 5
to 6 months, 
depending on the needs of the class.
The course combines readings in conventional books and papers with online
discussion 
and a number of student reports.  These include practice teaching of what they
have learned 
and a comprehensive permaculture design report that serves as a final
examination.  Like 
the in-person three-week course, this five to six month online program confers
a 
Permaculture Design Certificate on students who successfully complete all
requirements.
	Some students take the course to obtain professional guidance in developing
their 
permaculture designs without the need to pay consulting rates. Non certificate
students 
may, of course, waive any requirements.  
Enrollment is limited to 20 students. However, anyone can monitor the course
for a 
nominal fee.  Monitors do not take place in course discussion, although of
course they are 
free to conduct private communications with any of the students.
  For more information, email us at [email-masked]  We will send you the
course 
protocol and the course reading list. Students may enroll in the entire
program at one time 
or in any of three course sections in any order.  
The course follows the outline below:
	SECTION 1:  Introduction and Basic Principles
		a)  World ecological problems and interrelationships.
		b)  Principles of natural design.
		c)  Permaculture design concepts.
		d)  Classical landscapes.
		e)  Patterning, edges, edge effects.
		f)  The Permaculture Design Report
		g)  Principles of transformation (in process--you will get as much as we 
have worked out at the moment--this is not part of ordinary permaculture
design courses).
	SECTION 2:  Appropriate Technologies  in Permaculture Design
		a)  Energy--solar, wind, hydro, biomass, etc.
		b)  Nutrient cycles--soil, microclimates, gardening methods, perennials,
tree 
crops, food parks, composting toilets, livestock, "pest" management, food
storage, seed 
saving, cultivated systems, forests,  etc.
		c)  Water--impoundments, aquaculture, conservation, etc.
		d)   Buildings.
	SECTION 3:  Social permaculture.  Design Report.
		a)   Design for catastrophe.
		b)  Urban permaculture.
		c)  Bioregionalism.
		d)  Alternative economics.
		e)  Village development.
		f)  Final design reports and critiques.
		g)  Final evaluation.
	DESIGN SECTION.  (Requires Section 1.)  Students complete  a permaculture  
design
	Students follow a set reading schedule supplemented by  notes from the
instructor. 
They discuss reading assignments  in an email classroom.  The instructor also
supplements 
course materials  with resources drawn from varied components of the internet.
Students 
practice explaining or teaching permaculture basics, give special reports, and
prepare a 
complete permaculture design.  The course runs 20-26 weeks, depending on the
time 
needed to complete  discussion of various topics.  Students completing all
course 
requirements receive a Permaculture Design Course certificate.
	Students may arrange to enroll individual sections  of the course in any
sequence, 
depending on their financial  and schedule  requirements.  People may also
arrange  to 
monitor the course at nominal  cost.
	Instructor Dan Hemenway has taught  permaculture worldwide in Europe, Asia,
the 
Pacific and North America. Dan  is also founder, editor and publisher of The
International 
Permaculture Solutions Journal,  highly regarded among permaculturists, and
PROD 
(Permaculture Review Overview and Digest). He is program director of APT
(Advanced 
Permaculture Training), founder of the Forest Ecosystem Rescue Network (FERN),
and 
active in related movements such as remineralization. He contributes to the
development of 
permaculture with ongoing work on principles of transformation.  Dan holds
five diplomas 
in various aspects of permaculture from the International Permaculture
Institute. He 
received the annual Conservation Award from Friends of Nature in 1983 and the 
Community Service Award from the International Permaculture Institute in 1984.
In 1991, 
he was named as a delegate to "Roots of the Future," a conference of NGOs in
Paris, 
France, to prepare input to the UN "Earth Summit" held in June, 1992. More
recently, Dan 
was cited in Swathmore's Who’s Who in America for 1996-97, and  from 1995 to
1996 
was named permanent Honorary Chairman, Permaculture Foundation - Net_Work - 
Kenya,  Homa Bay, Kenya. 
	For details, email Elfin Permaculture at  [email-masked]
	Correspondence courses by mail continue to be available. Contact us if you
would 
like to host a live course or workshop at your site.

PREP--Permaculture/Remineralization Education Program Studies Chinampas
	In concert with Remineralize the Earth Foundation, Elfin Permaculture has
founded 
PREP--Permaculture/Remineralization Education Project.  PREP was created
initially to 
support a Kenyan permaculture project in which Elfin Permaculture has been
instrumental.  
Now PREP seeks support for a study trip to Mexico to document Chinampas.  
	Dan has experimented with the chinampas concept in the past, and presently is
developing a permaculture design with chinampas at Barking Frogs Farm. To make
the 
techniques we use compatible with areas where expanded food production is most
needed, 
we are doing all work by hand.  Volunteers are welcome and we have room for 2
interns.  
The Barking Frogs Farm chinampas build on the Mexican technique by applying 
permaculture design to integrate them to a total permaculture design.
	Financial contributions are badly needed to document the last remaining
traditional 
chinampas in Xochomilco, Mexico.

INTERNSHIPS AT BARKING FROGS PERMACULTURE CENTER
	We have two internships available for people who wish to gain experience and 
contribute to the development and outreach of permaculture design.  Each of
our 
internships is designed in response to goals of the interns as well as to
current needs of the 
center.  Work includes both indoor tasks (office, publications, design
documentation, etc.) 
and physical tasks (construction, chinampas building, agroforestry
development, 
gardening, animal care, harvest, etc.) and may include outreach activities.
Internships have 
the potential to develop into profit-sharing businesses and/or commonworks
projects where 
the intern develops a sustainable means of self-support.  

Paraguay Project Report
	We have completed our initial consultation report for Maralá, our
collaborating 
project in Paraguay, and now look to see more development there.  The people
at Maralá 
are open to interns, volunteers, and potential new members of the community.
Maralá 
goals include personal self-support, development and implementation of a
permaculture 
design, outreach  to others in Paraguay with sustainable practices, an
education center, a 
biological reserve, and preservation and restoration of Paraguayan forest
ecosystems.  
Contact Stelvio and Brigitt at [email-masked] and CC us at
[email-masked]

PERMACULTURE CONSULTATION SERVICES
	Elfin Permaculture offers consultation services including full permaculture
designs, 
consultation reports, and a special client survey with feedback. (See the
regular order 
form.)  While we feel that for most people, training to design their own place
is more 
useful, there has proven to be a valid place for some consultation.  In
addition to designs 
for people who have not received permaculture training, we find that we help
people with 
some experience to design difficult or delicate parts of their site.  We will
accept no more 
than two design or consulting jobs concurrently in order to have time to work
on our own 
place.  For details, contact Dan Hemenway, Barking Frogs Permaculture Center,
P.O. Box 
52, Sparr FL 32192-0052 USA or email Dan at [email-masked]

Yankee Permaculture Publication News

Second Edition of Cornucopia Expected Soon
	A new, updated edition of  Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants   by 
Stephen Facciola is expected to be in print very soon. The original 676 large-
format page 
edition lists about 3,000 plant species useful as food and provides detailed
cultivar listings 
for more than 110 cultivated crops. It furnishes botanical listings by family
of vascular 
plants, fungi, algae, and bacteria, a special section of cultivar listings, a
cross-referenced 
list of sources where materials described can be obtained, an index of species
native or 
naturalized to North America, an Index of species not listed in Kunkeel, a
general index of 
families and genera, and appendices of abbreviations, for type of product
offered, 
bibliographical citations, and descriptions for plant sources. Fascinating
reading in its own 
right, Cornucopia  is an invaluable tool for permaculturists for such purposes
as finding 
sources of "obscure" species, identifying food uses of plants on site, and
determining 
additional uses for food plants. We regard this as an essential book for every
permaculture 
library. The new edition will be especially helpful in updating where each
listed species and 
variety may be purchased.  Contact us to be on the list to receive notice when
the new 
edition is in stock.

TRIP VII Is Off the Press!
	Vol. VII of TRIP, The Resources of International Permaculture, was back from
the 
printer around Dec. 1, 1998.  TRIP VII is a directory of about 2,000 groups
worldwide 
working for some aspect of sustainable habitation.  Each entry is listed by
global region, 
country, city and so forth in the main directory.  Then entries are indexed
both by 
alphabetical name of every group and publication and by a set of 16
categories.  TRIP VII 
costs $25 + P&H and includes a subscription to our update service. Typically,
we publish 
three updates of changes, deletions and additions between entirely new
volumes.  TRIP is 
updated continually, on a nearly daily basis.
 	Yankee Permaculture also offers TRIP-on-Disk.  There are no volume numbers 
because each 3.5-inch computer disk we ship is copied from our master database
on the 
day that we process your order. TRIP-on-Disk starts at $50 + P&H depending on
the 
format that you  need. Send $1.00 +a #10  SASE or 2  International Return Mail
Coupons 
for an instruction sheet on ordering disks from Yankee Permaculture.
Presently, TRIP-on-
Disk lists about 2,000 groups and publications.  Updates are available at 1/2
the cost of a 
new disk.

TRIP VI Clearance at 80% OFF!
	We printed too many copies of Volume VI of TRIP.  In order to get more copies
into people's hands, we are reducing the price to $5 + P&H now for the print
version with 
no frills.  We will also supply updates as long as they are in stock.  
	TRIP is our international directory of groups working on issues directly
related to 
permaculture, such as the environment, greens, water, forests, alternative
economics, 
appropriate technology, genetic resources, bioregionalism, sustainable cities,
herbalism, 
sustainable food systems, Earth spirituality, alternative education and of
course 
permaculture itself. Each listing includes the full address and comments,
where pertinent, 
arranged by region. Cross indices by group and publication name, as well as by
category 
of activity (e.g. permaculture publications, forests, etc.) assure that you
can find pertinent 
groups from a variety of starting points.

Kourik's Edible Landscaping Book Goes Out of Print, But Damaged Copies Are
Available
	Robert Kourik's outstanding volume, *Designing and Maintaining Your Edible 
Landscape, Naturally* has gone out of print. However Yankee Permaculture was
able to 
buy Bob's remaining inventory of slightly damaged copies.  These are available
at $20 
while they last.  Bob tells us that he expects a new edition to be available
in 2 or 3 years, 
though a publisher was not yet secured the last we heard.  We can also provide
hardcover 
copies at $40 each while they last.  Both prices require additional P&H as
usual.  This is 
one of the books in our extensive permaculture library that we consult the
most.  I would 
not be without it.  

SPECIAL ORDER NEWS
	Yankee Permaculture publishes a special order catalog, paper #27, that lists
all 
manner of resources for which there is little market,, but which are
invaluable to some 
individuals seeking translations, databases, permaculture designs,
permaculture 
consultation reports, out-of-print public domain publications, and so forth.
Elfin 
Permaculture designs and consultation reports are often listed at 10% of the
original fee 
(always plus P&H) and we have a number of student reports as well, generally
priced to 
cover some of the labor of stocking and order processing.  The next addition
will be more 
than 200 pages of report for Maralá, a Paraguayan project with which we
collaborate.  
Appendices including data bases, are offered separately as usual. Send $5.00
if you wish 
to see a the table of contents, directory of appendices, and list of figures,
via email, $10 for 
us to print them out and send them by physical mail.

•YPC TITLES ARE LISTED BY TOPIC ON THE  WEB
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html

•  Ask for Clearance List of Discounted Publications.  
	We have a small number of used, damaged and discontinued publications
available 
at great discounts from our clearance list.  Ask for the latest version.	

  Ordering Yankee Permaculture Publications from This Sheet. 
	Some of the publications listed on this sheet may have not yet been added to
the 
Yankee Permaculture Order Form as of this writing.  To compute the cost, add
the total of 
publications that you seek, then compute Postage & Handling.  P&H costs 10% of
purchase price in the US and 20% elsewhere. However there is a minimum of
$3.00 P&H 
on small orders. Pay P&H only for the first $150 of each order.  You may
combine 
purchases from this sheet with those from the order form to get the best deal
on shipping. 
	If at all possible, please use the order form, even if you only order from
this sheet. 
Simply attach the list of new publications to the order form.  The regular YPC
order form 
lists all conditions and procedures.
Items ordered from this sheet
Item                                                                          
Cost                      
                                                                              
$                            
                                                                              
$                            
                                                                              
$                            	
                                                                              
$                            	
                                                                              
$                            
Postage & Handling* ($3 minimum, pay only on first $150 of order)             
$                            
Total Order (US funds only, checks must be drawn on a US Bank.)               
$                            
Contribution to meet requests from "Third World" groups, elementary school
students, etc.                                                     
$                                  
TOTAL ENCLOSED.                                                               
$                                   
_____ This order is not combined with an order on the regular Yankee
Permaculture Order 
Form. I have attached my name and address.
Yankee Permaculture, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192-0052 USA. email: 
<[email-masked]>

* 10 percent of the order to USA addresses, 20 percent to addresses elsewhere.