Subject: labeling (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 23:58:05 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:10:46 -0600
From: Kathryn Gilje <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: labeling

To whom it may concern,

Labeling products to indicate the sustainability of their production,
processing and distribution is potentially a powerful means toward driving
more ecologically sound, socially just and regionally-based development.
Recently there has been a surge of interest in these ecolabels, social
labels and regional labels as ways to differentiate products in the market
place. 

The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy is developing a United
States and International Directory of label groups, label advocates and
related organizations.  The directory is being compiled on the world wide
web and will also be available in hard copy once it is complete.  The
directory can be found on the web at http://www.iatp.org/labels.

If you or your organization would like to be included, please copy the
attached form, fill it out, and email it back to [email-masked].  If you
have questions, contact Kathryn Gilje at +01/612/870/3422.  This form can
also be faxed to +01/612/870/4846.

If you know of a group that should be included, please email
[email-masked] with your suggestion.

Thank you very much.  We hope this proves to be a valuable resource for
those interested in labeling issues.

Best,

Kathryn Gilje

Name:

Organization:

Address:

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

web site:

Description of the project/organization:

---

From: Rex Harrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:16:44 -0500

> labels and regional labels as ways to differentiate products in the market

Most of the fruit in the supermarkets where I shop now has little sticky
labels with a specific number.  So far, I have not found out what the number
signifies.  My thought: instead of trying to label strictly organic foods,
what's wrong with labeling ALL food if that is now possible?  Then the
customer could see what had been applied to the items they wish to eat.  Of
course I realize it would be difficult to put some of those inordinately long
chemical names on a little sticker, but they could post a long description
above the bins or they could adopt coded names for poisons (like "MAL" for
Malathion).

Yeah, let's label it all and let the public decide.

Rex Harrill
ps---anybody know what those numbers mean?

--------------------------------------

---

From: Craig Lanoye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:01:13 +0000

> ps---anybody know what those numbers mean?

Rex,

I believe the number tells the cashier what it is and the price etc.  

I agree on the "label it all" idea.  If customers knew even a fraction
of what they injest on or in conventionally produced foods, they may
seek out alternatives more urgently.

Craig

---

From: Rex Harrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:16:44 -0500

Rex Harrill

---

From: Craig Lanoye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:01:13 +0000

Rex,

Craig