Subject: Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:59:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/99 3:20:06 AM, [email-masked] writes:

<<Frank asked for ideas on pond building. Maybe we can start a thread on
this, if anyone is interested.>>  You betcha:)

Ok how about the construction of the dam and the overflow conduits?   Where 
is the best place to put the dam...in center of lower end..or does it even 
matter?

Should I put in some sort of drain? just in case I ever need to empty it?
What about aeration?  Let's talk:)   Frank

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:13:11 -0400 (EDT)

> is the best place to put the dam...in center of lower end..or does it even 

Regarding the outflow counduit - whatever design you use, the (possibly)
nutrient-rich overflow can be especially well utilized to irrigate and
fertilize a planting of lespedeza, through which it runs as it
dissipates over the back side of the dam. Lespedeza is an amazing plant. I
suggest it as a catchment and erosion control plant because it is very
drought resistant and will grow lavishly in hard rocky ground, the type of
fill that might be used in the dam itself. I can personally vouch for all
of the above. I have it growing (I planted it from seed a few years ago)
on a semi-steep embankment. Some of the plants are bushes, nearly 4 feet
tall with a huge spread. It benefits from nitrogen-rich runoff from the
field above which has big piles of compost. This planting has outcompeted
all nearby plants, Johnson grass, tall fescue, wild blackberries and
Japanese honeysuckle.

---