Subject: Relax... enjoy your shoes

From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:37:49 -0500

Bill Duesing wrote:

"Farms are the places where green plants capture the solar energy that we
need to feed ourselves."

Au contraire, mon frere! I've been reassured by the local (loco?)
scientists that, when we have exhausted the supply of farmland and green
plants (currently expected sometime in the next fiscal cycle), we WILL in
fact be able to obtain our food supplies from existing petroleum reserves,
and -- as these become exhausted -- directly from nuclear energy. In fact,
as we 'speak', fusion reactors are being developed which will produce all
our food from an increasingly-common resource -- polluted water! So... not
to worry! 

My main concern is that, as soil resources continue to erode, we may have
to look further and further afield to find suitable places to stick our
heads in the sand. That would be sad. 

Relax, and enjoy your shoes!

Jack

---

From: David Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:58:10 -0800 (PST)

Umm. Jack, I would love some details as to how we are expected to use fusion
reactors to produce food. Any thoughts on the mechanism?  Petroleum, I could
see. Perhaps a sort of carcinogenic tofu, produced from the "mousse" that
solidifies after a brisk wind-whip of crude oil floating on choppy waters.
But fusion.....  okay, even agreeing that there is scientific precedent for
unsuspecting victims being fed fission product radionuclides "just to see
what would happen", it's hard to see where a fusion reactor would reside on
the food chain. Ugly thought, though, Soylent Green you can read by ...

---

From: David Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:58:10 -0800 (PST)