Subject: Re: Tractors

From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:36:31 +1000

Apart from being one of only vocal Aussies on this mailing group,
and I have mentioned it before (so I appologise to others with good long
term recollection there)
Alan Savouries techniques of cell grazing and Flash/controlled management, 
DOES NOT always apply to our ancient and fragile soils which have developed
a symbiotic
relationship with hard hooved prarie animals.
But in areas with soil history of hard hooves- go for it, it seems a whole
lot more sensible than letting the
beasts wander and compact favourite areas. Harness all the energies you can
from them, use their tracks to
compact and stablise contour routes, use them to spread useful weed seed
too.

My personal definition of a weed is something that has little respect for
diversity.
April
PS. on my web page is stuff about Robyn Tredwell for discussion about the
useful of cattle and weed control.
under PRINCIPLES- observation repaces energy.

April Sampson-Kelly  [email-masked]
www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
My space can make this world a better place

----------
> From: Mike Skinner <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: Tractors
> Date: Wednesday, October 08, 1997 12:29 PM
> 
> Hi All,
>      In response to Kirk's comments: . " My
> hope is that the animals will constantly graze this grass while
> simultaneously enriching the soil with their poop thus setting the stage
> for the next succession of plants to take over (i.e. the perennial
> herbs/weeds). ," I theoretically like "flash/controlled" grazing,
meaning, I
> think, a very heavy stocking rate which is moved very frequently. The
idea
> being that the poop is evenly distributed, not around the watering holes,
and
> the animals are not given a chance to selectively graze and trample and 
> cause "areas of repugnance" (cow pies).
>      He also says, "On another note...would spreading mineral amendments
on top of grassy,weedy, or otherwise untilled areas be anywhere as
effective as working it
> into the soil or is this a complete waste of time and resources?" I've
been told by
> conventional sources that P needs to be deep-placed into the root zone
and the N in manure will volitize unless plowed into the ground, but it
will then spread out, sometimes upward or downward. But, then what did the
buffalo do? 
>      Then, Lawrence said,"If they like weeds that are miners of
subsoil-located nutrients, all the better." I'm hoping to either control or
make useful the dreaded
> bindweed or morninglory. Since watching 3 generations fight the weed,
I've 
> wondered if maybe that its not the problem, but that we farmers are the
prob.
> It definitely is a deep miner and has reported medicinal properties, but
I think
> it is bitter at times, rather unpalatable, and some livestock must be
forced onto 
> it. It is for this reason that my "super tractor" would cruise across
strips allowing
> animals to take a break from their work and enjoy a few treats, as
appropriate.
>      And then, thanks to Lawrence and Keith Johnson for encouraging the
"noble peasant."
> "Re: Bill Mollison: I agree with Jack that Bill's writings and teachings
> should, by example, encourage aspiring permaculturists to find solutions
> for themselves in the regions where they are working, using his methods
> when applicable." 
>      Thanks,
>         Mike Skinner
> 
>      
>