Subject: [permaculture] Weed & manure teas

From: Kirk Hanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 08:37:40 -0700

I'm interested in reading people's experiences with weed teas and manure 
teas as fertilizers.   I'd like to embark on an extensive fertilizing 
routine using these two nutrient sources but want to reduce my learning 
curve relative to how to effectively apply them.  Any information or 
recommendations of resources would be helpful.

Thanks,
kh

Kirk Hanson
Director, Permaculture West
72 Mattson Rd.
Oakville, WA 98568
ph/fx: (360) 273-7117
[email-masked]

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 11:55:01 EDT

In a message dated 5/13/99 9:39:11 AM, you wrote:

<<I'm interested in reading people's experiences with weed teas and manure 

the folks that work with john jeavons put out a little booklet on foliar 
feeding with manure and weed teas. they take the view that foliar feeding, or 
any kind of fertilization program, basically feeds the plants. for 
sustainablility one should be focused on feeding the soil. that being said, 
foliar feeding, which is a very direct way to get the teas to the plants, is 
a good remedial method of fertilization when your soil is still being 
developed. my experience would tend to support this point of view. in the 
early stages of developing gardens, first couple years, foliar feeding does 
tend to provide a little boost. after that it doesn't seem to have nearly as 
much effect. 

in general I think it is preferable to compost or mulch the material and get 
it into the soil cycle that way. reasons: soils need the full complement of 
goodies in the weeds and manure, less work, less risk of leaching those 
nutrients, feeds the soil, not just the plants.

it is a bit of work, particularly if you're going to do it on any scale 
larger than a backyard garden. you're moving alot of water around, which is 
always a big job. 

situations that I find particularly well suited to tea application are 
greenhouse fertilization and potted plants, where soil building is a little 
more difficult. 

I wouldn't say don't do it, just recognize that it's work, and when it's 
appropriate. build the soil and over time your need for external 
fertilization is not necessary. 

I hope this helps,
Christopher Peck
Santa Fe, New Mexico

---

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 20:21:22 EDT

Hi Kirk,

In a message dated 5/13/99 11:39:12 AM, [email-masked] writes:

<<I'd like to embark on an extensive fertilizing 
routine using these two nutrient sources>>  Sounds interesting.Please pass on 
any info. Thanks.

<< but want to reduce my learning 
curve relative to how to effectively apply them>>>>  LOL!  I'm always trying 
to do just that but I find it real hard in Permaculture circles...since so 
many folks are selling those services.

I really believe that that is one of the real problems since the very people 
most likely to try and implement same are often just not in a position to pay 
for such services. Somehow it seems we have got to find a way to reach more 
people at less cost. Perhaps a state wide Internet site could be set up for 
discussion, teaching, seminars etc.

I'm moving toKentucky and would love to network with PC'ers there. Any on 
this list.

I've talked to a number of PC folks about helping design my place but the 
travel costs, per diems mount up. I know it's a quandary...like many have 
stated many of these teachers are hard pressed to make a decent living, and I 
know many try to give people value for the money.

I was all set to go to one in Ohio...but due to problems beyond my control 
was not able to go. Drats!

Best to all.  Frank

---

---

From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 11:22:10 +1000

In permaculture we try to make things work at least two ways.
so i use a lot of green manure/tea that i make from
1. highly noxious weeds (fermented until absolutely unable to rise again.
2. any fruit-fly infected fruits left over from summer.  (again this kills
the fly eggs
and maintains healthy orchard hygiene and returns nutrients to the soil.  i
am careful to let it
brew until it is no longer too acidic.  (sometimes all year)

April
Permaculture Visions International
Students and graduates in 13 countries
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, 14 May 1999 1:55
> To: permaculture
> Subject: [permaculture] Re: Weed & manure teas
>
>
>
> You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> [email-masked]
>
>

---

---

From: Kelley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 16:43:25 -0400

April,

You just put it in water?  Do you cover it to keep more flies out?  Is it like making
vinegar?  Curious.
Thanks.

Kelley

April Sampson-Kelly wrote:

> You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]

---

---

From: "Martha Ruth Hills (MelbPC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 08:28:33 +1000

Hi,

I live in Melbourne Australia where the weather is a bit like San
Francisco.  Since I'm not good at weeding, there were always lots
of grasses gone to seed in my planting beds.  I soaked them in
plastic garbage bins for months and then put the "tea" (diluted) on
the garden; the leftover material wouldn't sprout.

The plastic bins, though, split after a couple of batches, so I looked
for another method.

Then I got chickens.  I still have to pull the weeds unless
I want them to dig up everything (except kikuyu, the roots of which they
leave) to feed to them.  When they're out, they do keep the lawn mowed,
except for the edges.

Onward, M R

Martha Ruth Hills

Our life is more than our work and our work is more
than our job.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kirk Hanson <[email-masked]>
To: permaculture <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, May 14, 1999 1:39 AM
Subject: [permaculture] Weed & manure teas

>You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]

---

---

From: stephan leimroth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 14:56:01 -0700 (PDT)

kelley,

we use a 1 part manure or compost to 7 parts water,, 
let sit for a few days.  works great; plants which
show symptoms of nutrient deficiency are cured within
a day or so.  we haven't tried using weeds, but that
seems like a great idea (i just hate leaving the soil
bare by taking away the weeds).

stephan.
_____________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com

---