Subject: [permaculture] seabuckthorn & the the vitamin C invasion

From: miekal and <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:37:07 -0600

Ive got about 25 unsexed sea buckthorns I grew from seed last year,
ready to go in the ground.  My initial reason for being excited about
them was that Chris Evans of Jajarkot Permaculture had missionary zeal
regarding their widespread dissemination when he presented a
permaculture course here 5 years ago.  I have since heard many warnings
about their invasive nature.  How fast do they spread, are others on the
list growing them, does it make sense to plant them in the middle of a
fairly compast 2 acre demonstration or are they better put along
roadside, eroded areas etc, or perhaps in a goatbrowse area?  They (the
seabuckthorns) are asking to be planted, would appreciate any comments.
Do they spread by suckering or by seed?  If anybody has received the new
one green world (formerly northwoods) catalogue, they are likewise
touted as another miracle plant, big pictures of kids drinking glasses
of this newfangled vitamin C juice.

miekal

if nothing else, I bet Dan H has an opinion on the matter, eh?

dreamtime village
http://net22.com/dreamtime/index.shtml

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Pittman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:05:18 -0700 (PDT)

I have since heard many warnings
>Do they spread by suckering or by seed?  

In my homecountry, Belarus, they do not spread at all (temperate climate,
720 mm rain, -20C winter, +27C summer)Our research on sea buckthorn shows
that there are several spp. of it from a small multiple stem bush, to a
fairly tall tree with single trunk (the last one is commonly grown in
Western Russia, far from coasts). First sea buckthorn grew on the playground
in my kindergarten, and never caused any problems, but brought fun and
berries. It was a  single trunk tree at least 15 feet tall.

Arina
Scott Pittman

Permaculture Institute, USA
PO Box 3702, Pojoaque, NM 87501  US
phone 505.455.0270

*********
Ingenio Patet Campus

---