Subject: Permaculture Internship

From: Skye <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:49:26 -0600

Permaculture Internship 

LIVE Permaculture for 5 weeks in exotic Mexico

Patzcuaro, Michoacan, Mexico
July 4 to August 7, 1998

The basic aim of this course is to extend the normally brief
introduction to Permaculture experienced in most other courses. The
minimum of 72 hours for the Design Certificate Course is obviously
barely sufficient to scratch the surface of what is possible. Many
participants leave theses courses with a sense of being overwhelmed, and
have difficulty deciding where to start. Often this is accentuated by
need to integrate the new concepts into everyday life. To accomplish
this, many people often soon find the time visit other Permaculture
projects, to live at those projects, or to going WWOOFing.

While the Internship, will not solve all these issues, it will enable
people to make the necessary integration and adjustments in a more
gentle, supportive manner.

In addition to the vast amount of information from the Design
Certificate Course (and the personal changes that often triggers)
participants in the Internship program will live and work within a
Permaculture based community for an additional three weeks. There will
be time to develop additional skills, with a wide range of choices
ranging from actually putting up a building, to learning how to cook the
produce harvested (and how to finish the process by composting it!).

In addition to practical skills, participants will also have the
opportunity to experience a small part of one of the oldest cultures in
the world. And to participate in some of the rituals from that culture.

Design Certificate Course

The Internship program includes a full Design Certificate Course
covering the basic concepts of Permaculture and its applied strategies.
Topics include:
Principles of Permaculture
Soils
Water
Gardening
Orchards
Production of Maiz and Grains
Microclimates
Management of Pests
Aridland Strategies
Animal Systems
Alternative Energy
Ecological Housing
Urban Strategies
EcoVillages
Social Strategies
Financial Strategies
Practical Design Exercise

This course will primarily be taught by Skye. Skye is internationally
known as a creative, inspiring teacher, who co-authored the "Manual for
Teaching Permaculture Creatively": Skye now lives in Mexico, and will be
inviting some of Permaculture teachers of Mexico to join in this
experience.

This Certificate Course is fully endorsed by the Permaculture Institute
of Mexico, and a certificate to this effect will be awarded.

Work Experience
There are far more projects available than time will permit.
Participants will need to make their own choices from such ongoing
activities as:
Construction of Water Harvesting and Storage Systems
Construction of Water Treatment Systems
Building methods - strawbaale, cob, adobe etc
Organic Architecture
Garden Production
Nursery Propagation
Orchard Management
Bee Keeping
Biodynamics
Food Processing
Production and Preparation of Medicinal Plants
Natural Healing Therapies
Low Technology Eqquipment
Food Preparation and Storage 
Bread Baking
Learn basic Spanish
The traditional Temascal ceremony of the Huicholes
Work with local Indigenous People (in local school).
Computer Communications

In addition to the skilled people of Tamu Tariaticha itself, a number of
guest teachers will be involved in parts of this course. David Farrely,
author of the "Book of Bamboo" lives locally and will present a short
workshop on bamboo if there is sufficient interest. Robin Clayfield of
Australia (co-author of the "’Manual for Teaching Permaculture
Creatively" and author of  "You Can Have Your Permaculture and Eat It
Too", will be visiting the community towards the end of the course (on a
round world trip conducting Permaculture Teacher Training Courses - in
conjunction with Skye) and will present a number of workshops.

The Area

The center of the area of Patzcuaro is the lake of the same name.
Patzcuaro in fact is a large volcanic crater. The area is well known for
its copper work and wood craftsmen. The lake was the basis of  large
fishing industry, but this has now largely collapsed.

The area of Patzcuaro has a long tradition, and the original people, the
Purepetcha were never actually conquered by the Spanish. The indigenous
people still exert a strong influence in the area.

There are many fine markets in the area. And within reasonable driving
distance there are important attractions, of natural beauty, cultural
value or tourist interest.

Patzcuaro is a small city and most personal requirements can be easily
obtained within the central business district. Services such as film
processing, photocopying, international faxes etc are all readily
accessible.

The climate is cool sub-tropical, with warm and wet summers and dry cool
winters (we do get many frosts over winter). During the course the
weather will most likely be reasonably warm with some rainy days. This
is the peak growing time of the year.

The Community

The community of Tamu Tariaticha (Purepetcha for the "four winds") was
originally purchased some twelve years ago. It was originally a group of
friends who wished to live simply, on the land. The people of Tamu have
always had a spiritual basis, and have a special connection with the
Huichol tradition of Mexico.

The community has gone through many changes, in especially in terms of
personal, but presently is a multicultural group of eight adults and two
children. The adults include two people from France, two Americans,
three Mexicans and an Australian. Both children are Mexican.

With many of the community members completing Permaculture Design
Certificate Courses in 1996, the community started to evolve slightly
differently. Within the community there is an extensive range of skills
and talents available. It is partly in the interest of sharing this
information and experience that this Internship has been put together.

Within the larger community around Patzcuaro, there is an extended
family who occasionally gather at Tamu for the Temascal ritual, or for
fiestas. This community is very diverse and includes some twenty
different nationalities.

How to get There

The community of Tamu Tariaticha is situated twenty minutes from
Patzcuaro. From the International airport of Mexico City, it is possible
to get to Patzcuaro by direct coach, or via Morelia. It will take
approximately 6 hours for the trip.

The Airport in Mexico city can be very confusing and difficult without
some knowledge of the Spanish language. If needed we can arrange to have
participants in the course met at the airport. For this to work we would
need all participants to arrive at Mexico city on July 1. Since some
flights may not arrive until later in the day, we will stay in Mexico
City that evening and then bus to Patzcuaro on the following day. This
allows everyone a full day (Friday 3rd) to settle in, before starting
the course formally on the morning of July 4.

For people who prepare to make their own arrangements, please take the
bus from the Western Bus Terminal (Terminal Poniente) to Morelia and
then Patzcuaro (the service Morelia to Patzcuaro runs every half hour),
Occasionally there are direct services to Patzcuaro. At Patzcuaro take a
taxi to Arocutin (cost about 40pesos). At Patzcuaro, get out at the bus
stop (a strange concrete double pyramid) - Tamu Tariaticha is directly
below the bus stop. Simply walk down to the main gate.

Registration

The fee of $1300US includes accommodation, food and field trip costs.

To ensure your place in this course, we require a deposit of minimum of
$200US. Please forward this as a check made out to "Skye", alternatively
you may deposit this money directly by electronic transfer to the
account of Skye, with the Bancomer Bank, Patzcuaro Branch (# 465),
account number 1004142. Please send your check (or copy of bank deposit
to the above account) along with a brief letter giving your basic
details, address, and anticipated arrival arrangements.

Your registration will be promptly acknowledged, and you will be
supplied with further details if necessary.

For further information, or specific inquiries, please contact us
immediately.

Summary

This course offers a unique opportunity for anyone wishing to undertake
a study of Permaculture.

No other Permaculture course gives you the opportunity to buy supplies
from Purepetcha people, to taste the delicious comida of Mexico (as
distinct from the Texan fast food sold in most Western countries), to
learn to bake bread from a French chef, to learn from Permaculture
teachers internationally known for their creativity,  to experience the
traditional ritual of the Temascal, to visit pyramids, learn bee-keeping
from a German expert in Biodynamics, to work within an international
community, in a warm climate, in one of the most intriguing and ancient
cultures of the world - Mexico.

Skye, Tamu Tariaticha, Apdo 391, Patzcuaro, Michoacan, Mexico. Email
[email-masked]

---

From: Scott Pittman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 18:07:23 -0800 (PST)

>of Mexico, and a certificate to this effect will be awarded.

Since you didn't mention the names of any Mexican teachers I would like to
know who they are.

I would also like to know who are the board members of the Permaculture
Institute of Mexico which I have not heard of before.

Thank you,
Scott & Arina Pittman
Permaculture Institute
PO Box 3702
Pojoaque, NM 87501

---

From: [email-masked] (Simon Henderson, Bamboo People)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 00:57:00 -0600

Hi Scott,

>Institute of Mexico which I have not heard of before.

Also, what's up with the P.C. Credit Union?

Best Regards,