Subject: RE: getting through

From: John Schinnerer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:59:03 -0700

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From: matthew sullivan [mailto:[email-masked]]
>So again - how are we going to get through to that demographic that i 
>observe every day of my life? - the one with huge disposable income, 
>irresponsible spending habits, the one that advertisers love to reach, the 
>ones who drive the BIGGER cars, buy the BIGGER house with the BIGGER TV in 
>every room?? And what about the demographic that aspires to be like this 
>group?

I suspect *not* by using the same methods that the drivers of endless growth
and consumption use (glitz, mass media, big $$, etc.) - as they say in
Maine, "you can't get there from here." 

I work with people with some of the above habits and attributes...they're
not necessarily happy or fulfilled by stuff and money (although some are
happy and fulfilled by family, service & community work, etc.), but perhaps
that's the only example they have, the only habits they've been exposed to.
If they see me being relatively happy and fulfilled, spending each month for
all my basic expenses what they spend for just their car payments and
associated costs, living without debt, having more "free" time, turning the
front yard into a garden, etc. - I think there's some "getting through"
there...

In other words - by creating a context where people get curious, wonder what
other options there are, start inquiring and exploring, and then (often)
start making their own changes.  If they're really fulfilled just as they
are, they won't get curious...but how many of us are?  ;-)  And if they
think they are but deep inside aren't, well, that's where patience comes
in... :-)

When people feel they've "discovered" something for themselves, they seem a
lot more likely to act on their discoveries.  Create contexts where people
are likely to "discover" what you hope they'll discover.  ...oh, and it
helps to not be attached to the outcome!

John Schinnerer

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]