Subject: RE: [permaculture] Re: Pc teacher input on Pc Courses

From: Thilo Pfennig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:28:43 +0200 (MEST)

On 19-May-99 eric + michiko wrote:

> [Any decrease in the price of Pc courses would decrease the teacher's
> income.]

That does not have to be this way. Sometimes reducing the price leads into much
more buyers and this to an overall increase of income.

The question is: Does one more student really cost 500$ more for the teacher or
isn´t it so, that there are fix costs - and that every student who payes makes
it cheaper for the organizers?

> Why can't Pc be less expensive?

Because permaculturist choose what may be called permaculture and what not.
Every (high) standard not everybody can fulfill leads into higher prices.

If follow the rules, I may not teach "permaculture". This is a similar
phenomenon with doctors in the industrial-countries: Few doctors, high
standards-> High prices! On the other hand I never saw professional
permaculture-gardeners. All permaculturists I know claim to be "designers", so
mind-labour. "Soft"-labour is always more expensive than "hard"-labour.

Larry is right:  If organizing a course, spending time in preparation is so
expensive, the solution would be in spending more time in sharing the
preparations for future generations not in the form of the end-product but in
the form of ressources.

Look at the problems of "Skye" for getting some material to present the mexican
government. We could allready have statistics,databases, pictures,... on the
net. Larries  ftp-archive already has some ressources. (I must admit I have
not checked the archive for months).

We could have a paket for "introduction to permaculture" presented via the web
with examples and translated into many different languages which could help
people in understanding the basics of permaculture and beeing a basis istself
for presenting permaculture on a course etc..

-- 
Thilo Pfennig 
<http://Alternativ.Net/>

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Thilo Pfennig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:02:14 +0200 (MEST)

On 19-May-99 eric + michiko wrote:

>  Maybe it keeps
> coming up because it is never properly addressed. 

BTW: This could be a question, that is answered in Steve Divers introduction or
in a new FAQ!?

-- 
Thilo Pfennig 
<http://Alternativ.Net/>

---

---

From: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:54:01 -0400 (EDT)

http://metalab.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]
On Thu, 20 May 1999, Thilo Pfennig wrote:
> On 19-May-99 eric + michiko wrote: > Maybe it keeps coming up because
> it is never properly addressed.  BTW: This could be a question, that
> is answered in Steve Divers introduction or in a new FAQ!?

A new or appended SD PCFAQ may be in order

This FAQ + additional supportive info resources, contributed to by all of
us over time and translated into many languages, could eventually be put
onto CD's for distribution. This could have been used by Skye in Mexico.
One of us with a CD burner could make a number of copies and farm out
the creation of more copies to others with CD burners (perhaps those
could be the ones who translate the FAQ into their native language).

Regarding immediate input from me, I'd be really interested in getting the 
FREE-PC-INFO "non-copyright" license in place and working. We could each
begin collections of PC related resources that are free to the public.

I also will be creating a resource in my permaculture page,
http://metalab.unc.edu/london/permaculture.html, that will contain
html'ized archives of many existing permaculture discussion forums:
this one, [email-masked], the German list perma-l,
the Australian one, PERMA, the Envirolink one [email-masked]
and the new permaculture newsgroup alt.permaculture (I plan to implement
bidirectional gating between this list and alt.permaculture as well;
this should increase traffic in both forums, connect more Permies and 
help to further the Permaculture movement). This will be one archive
for all forums, indexed by date, subject and author, easy to reach on the
web and searchable with alll the major search engines on the Web:
http://googol.com, http://dogpile.com (try these two new ones!, googol
doesn't have any advertising), Altavista, Yahoo, etc. If anyone
has any suggestions (+ or -) regarding connecting alt.permaculture (so far
no spam in there) with this list please let me know.

---