Subject: NW agroforestry project

From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 09:56:31 -0800

I'm interested in developing an experimental woodlot in Western WA
wherein I use the inherent nursery environment under an existing stand of
red alders to foster valuable timber trees.  As fir & cedar already
dominate the rest of the property I thought I would try a different species
of tree to see how it manages in this climate.  Initially I considered
using eastern hardwoods (oak, hickory, walnut, etc.) but whilst researching
this potential discovered very few hardwoods that are shade tolerant.  I
intended to thin the stand of alders sufficiently enough to allow "dappled"
sunlight to reach the newly planted trees but not so much as to prevent the
trees from growing straight and tall.  I figured I could let the young
trees establish themselves, then gradually thin the remaining alders to
allow the new trees to break the canopy.
     My options seem to be: 1.) stick with native trees and forget the
whole scheme, 2.) find a variety of hardwood that prefers such a nursery
environment as previously described, or 3.) cut the whole bloody stand to
the ground and plant the trees that I want there.
     I would appreciate any comments on this subject.  Perhaps there are
more options than I  currently have under considation.

Kirk Hanson
C/O Permaculture West
72 Mattson Rd.
Oakville, WA 98568
ph./fx. (360) 273-7117
e-mail: [email-masked]