Subject: tropical plants

From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:40:51 -0800

Some more plants we grow

Apiaceae (Umbillifereae)

Anethum graveolens (dill)..edible herb, can be grown here but doesn't last
too long, nor self seed
Angelica archangelica (angelica).. herb, died soon after planting
Apium graveolens (celery) vege,does well in our wet winter
Apium graveolens Rapaceum Group (celeriac).. rots off quickly in our
experience
Apium leptophyllum (slender celery).. edible weed we throw into the odd
salad
Arracacia xanthorhiza (Peruvian carrot/parsnip) .. perennial root crop
(cooked), young cooked shoots edible, just aquired this plant... one in
partial shade is doing well, another lost most of its leaves, but will
probably resprout with the cooler weather
Carum carvi (caraway).. no luck with this
Coriandrum sativum (coriander).. grows well
Cryptotoaenia japonica (japanese parsley).. grows well, self seeds, use in
salads or cooked
Daucus carota (carrot).. ok in winter
Foeniculum vulgare (fennel).. perennial, not self seeding but surviving
Levisticum officinale (lovage) .. died
Pastinaca sativa (parsnip).. not much luck
Petroselinum crispum (parsley).. susceptible to root rot (Italian parsley
performs better), doesn't self seed
Pimpinella anisum (anise).. no luck

There are some more tropical apiums, but I haven't got hold of them yet.

Apocynaceae

Carissa macrocarpa (natal plum)... very spiky!!! only one fruit so far.
Plumeria rubra (frangipani)... grows well, lovely perfumed flower, (can be
used in sweets)

Cheers Rene