Subject: J. L. Hudson

From: samm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 99 08:05:02 -0000

It's been sort of amusing to see J. L. Hudson discussed in terms of 
native plants. Anyone who's read the opinion pieces in his catalog will 
understand more about where he's coming from. I love his catalog, and 
have placed many orders from it over the years, but realize that J. L. 
Hudson is vehemently opposed to the native plant movement. The philosophy 
is that humankind is just one more "vector" for spreading seeds of all 
kinds around the world. The catalog I have (I haven't one for 1999 yet) 
shows a drawing of a blue jay with a seed in its mouth and behind it in 
the sky a passenger jet--the drawing is called "Vectors," I believe. He 
sees the native plant movement as fascistic, that human beings are almost 
obligated on behalf of evolution to spread every kind of seed from every 
continent anywhere it will thrive and let the plants fight it out among 
themselves. Kind of a bio-libertarianism. 

The catalog is an invaluable source of nonhybridized seed from a 
mind-boggling variety of wild plants from all over the world, and an 
invaluable resource, and the political viewpoints scattered throughout 
make interesting reading. And, for people who love plants, it's a lot of 
fun.

sam

---

From: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:32:18 -0500 (EST)

http://metalab.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]

> mind-boggling variety of wild plants from all over the world, and an 

Can you post contact information for JL Hudson?

BTW, I have started a seed-saving discussion forum at MetaLab (also
soil quality, permaculture, organic gardening and many more) that some
of you might want to subscribe to. Its open to anyone, easy to use &
has robust array of features, archives all posts to the list for
public viewing, etc. Here's a little info for those interested:

general information is available at:
http://metalab.unc.edu/london/forumdoc.txt
(access, subscription,subscription info + list of forums available)

subscribe/unsubscribe via email:
send email to [email-masked]
- in text of message include the following words: 
subscribe (or unsubscribe) <put name of list here>
Ex.: subscribe seed-saving
or: subscribe permaculture

(posting to the list subscribers)
send email to: <put name of list here>@franklin.oit.unc.edu
Ex.: [email-masked]

Access on the Web:
------------------
go to this URL:
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu
go to "Official SunSITE Contributor Lists"
then go to:
"Topics Related to Natural Agriculture"
then go to the forum of your choice

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]