Subject: [permaculture] Hello there

From: Christer Ellingsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 00:23:43 +0200

There you are,
so I finally found you all.
let me introduce myself.

I'm 30 years old, esoteric healer by profession and have been leading
what you might call an alternative lifestyle since I was about 16.
Some years ago I "discovered" the internet and was transfixed by it's
potential when it comes to spreading a message to a large group of
people worldwide. and was especially fascinated but the prospect of
putting out any amount of information, and letting the "people on the
streets" come find it them self, and then being able to provide those
same people with means of communicating with each other both in real
time and on a mail or news system. I have been studying since then the
net, the art of web design, and peoples behavior on the net. With the
goal of helping good ideas and organizations like for instance
permaculture to take advance of this potential. My approach to web
design/ net use is very much the same as the one I use to life in
general: put in a lot of serious effort, plant a seed and let it grow
and it will very much take care of it self, provide it with water in
times of draught, and see to that the weed don't suffocate it, or better

yet let the "weeds" pull their weight, and in time you will harvest in
abundance, and your long term effort is small. Web communities can be
created the same way.

I have now started a small web design/consulting business, and one of my

customers are the Norwegian permaculture association. I am building a
big web for them with lot's of good info, several ways of community
building communications and features that we hope will make the
scandinavian permaculture internet community grow. And I have been asked

to do the same in english, underway by central people in denmark.

As a part of that job I have been scourging the net for some time now
for links on permaculture and anything related. Mailing lists and
newsgroups. And found a lot, but when it came to news groups i was at a
loss until this after noon, when i found this list with a possible news
group interface. During my hunt I bumped into several other
out on exactly the same hunt. In fact it went so far that I am in the
middle of the process of creating a alt.permaculture or
alt.sustainable.permaculture (There already is a
alt.sustainable.agriculture group as I'm sure most of you know) But now
I am at a loss since there already is one active permaculture list with
a newsgroup interface.
I have taken some hours to consider this and my conclusion is to ask you

that are visiting this news server what to do.

I don't mean to put anyone or anything down but you seem to be a little
hard to find. Since most people use their ISP's news server to visit
newsgroups they look at the groups they offer, some might even go to
deja news and look there and if they don't find what they are looking
for they don't think it can be found. So maybe a alt.permaculture, that
would show up on a lot of news servers around the world would be a good
idea anyway, it wouldn't be a competitor to this group rather a boost.
More people would find their way to a group or list,
and the two could work for each other. there are some people ho have  a
natural aversion for mailing list and there are alot of persons that
prefer newsgroups to mailing lists, i am aware of the fact that there
are several lists out there but since this seems to be a active and
healthy list I thought it was worth a try to get opinions from you.

So what do you say good people?

I see from an earlier posting to this group that some of you use ICQ I
have ICQ # 13078734 have e-mail [email-masked] and are registered at
icq under the nick name norseman, if some of you would like to seek me
out to discuss this proposal or other issues or just have a chat
session, be my
guest.

I do apologize for any unclearity due to bad syntax, grammar or
misspelling, english is obviously not my natural tongue.

--
Christer Ellingsen
Norway
[email-masked]
------------------------
Voice: + 47 73976196
Fax: +47 73975755
Cellular: +47 90147718
E-mail: [email-masked]
******************************************************************
Freedom is not in the finished carving but in the wood chips left
on the floor.
******************************************************************

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:06:20 -0500 (EST)

http://metalab.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]

> so I finally found you all.

Welcome to MetaLab's permaculture discussion forum!
Glad you found us. 

> abundance, and your long term effort is small. Web communities can be

It does seem to work that way, fortunately for all of us.
 
> to do the same in english, underway by central people in denmark.

What is the address of your Norwegian PC website?

> group interface. During my hunt I bumped into several other

Yes, this list (or forum) _does_ have a news interface. 

> alt.sustainable.permaculture (There already is a

Possibly a good idea to create alt.permaculture, though it may get
spammed enought to discourage active participation by good contributors.
This list can be made spamproof - said users and their posts can be
permanently deleted/locked out.

> I am at a loss since there already is one active permaculture list with

This is that list.

> that are visiting this news server what to do.

I'd suggest sticking with this list for the long haul. Alt.permaculture
may be a good idea too.
 
> for they don't think it can be found. So maybe a alt.permaculture, that

You just have to know the name of our news server in order to access this
list, and it is: news://franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Here's complete info on our PC forum:

Usage Guide For the Natural Agriculture 
Heirarchy of Discussion Forums at MetaLab 
|+|
Lawrence F. London, Jr., site administrator
[email-masked], [email-masked]
http://metalab.unc.edu/london
Email me if you have questions, corrections, requests or suggestions
This document is located at: http://metalb.unc.edu/london/forumdoc.txt
|+|
The forum server is intelligent and flexible and tolerates a wide
range of input in case you forget access details.
|+|
Subscribers will be able to post, crosspost and read using any
method of access: the Web, email or news; non-subscribers will be able 
to read but not post. 
|+|
The system is set to archive permanently ALL posts to the list 
whether they are posted via news, the Website or email.
|+|
Any spam posted will result in the offending party being locked out 
of the forum and all their messages will be purged from the archive.
______

ACCESS
______

Access by email:
----------------
general information is available at:
http://metalab.unc.edu/london/forumdoc.txt

subscribe/unsubscribe via email:
send email to [email-masked]
- in text of message include the following words: 
subscribe (or unsubscribe) <put name of list here>
Ex.: subscribe permaculture

(posting to the list subscribers)
send email to: <put name of list here>@franklin.oit.unc.edu
Ex.: [email-masked]

Access on the Web:
------------------
go to this URL:
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu
go to "Official SunSITE Contributor Lists"
then go to:
"Topics Related to Natural Agriculture"
then go to the forum of your choice

or go to this URL:
------------------

permaculture forum ([email-masked]):
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=permaculture&text_mode=0

or go to this URL to view all the forums available in the Natural
Agriculture heirarchy:
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?site=sunsite-contrib&page=topic&topic=natural-agriculture&text_mode=0

Here you can subscribe/unsubscribe, change your user options (i.e. tell
the list not to send you any email,
that you prefer to access the forum via the Web or as a newsgroup),
read, post, search

Access by newsgroup:
--------------------
Method 1 using your news reader:
-
Access via Usenet news can be had by adding this news server name to
your list 
of news servers in your news reader, or make it your default server: 
franklin.oit.unc.edu 
[in Netscape this is easy - just click on "file", then "open news host", 
then type in franklin.oit.unc.edu in the dialog box]. 
In Free Agent you can only have one news server (host) but you can, 
of course, run multiple copies of Free Agent [just install
it into separate folders, each with a different name and different
desktop icon]. Connect with the news server and download the list of
newsgroups 
available and subscribe to the ones that interest you.

Method 2 using your Web browser [+ news reader]:
-
go to this URL:
news://franklin.oit.unc.edu
and download the list of newsgroups available and subscribe to the ones
that interest you
or go to this URL:
news://franklin.oit.unc.edu/put name of forum (= newsgroup, = mailing
list) here
to get to individual forums directly for reading and/or posting (if
you're subscribed)

====================================
URLs for access via the Web and news
====================================

http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?site=sunsite-contrib&page=topic&topic=natural-agriculture&text_mode=0
Natural Agriculture heirarchy of forums
<>
http://metalab.unc.edu/london/forumdoc.txt
USAGE: How to access the forums
<>
Access via the Web:
-------------------
permaculture forum
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=permaculture&text_mode=0

Access as a newsgroup:
----------------------
news://franklin.oit.unc.edu
Go to server/download list of groups

permaculture forum
news://franklin.oit.unc.edu/permaculture
(type this URL directly into the dialog box in your Web browser)

<>
<>
<>

> So what do you say good people?

Alt.permaculture may be a good idea but this list has more features and
is more versatile .... and is spamproof ...._and_ archives everything posted
to the list for public retreival.
 
> out to discuss this proposal or other issues or just have a chat

I'll have to crank up my ICQ Chat program again and get back online - will 
contact you there when I do. 
I am dirtfarmer, ICQ # 27930345
search ICQ for my info - 
I haven't been online for months - don't know if my account is still
there.
We really ought to have a permaculture chat
room. Care to set one up on Mirabilis home page (the ICQ users homepage)?
What's the best version of ICQ to get at this time? ICQ 99b? or a later
version? What is the best site for downloading the software?

> misspelling, english is obviously not my natural tongue.

You're doing just fine, not to worry.

Permaculturally,

Lawrence
permaculture list owner
natural agriculture site administrator

---