Subject: CFV: rec.gardens.bamboo

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:23:10 -0400 (EDT)

From: David Bostwick <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,aus.gardens,bionet.plants,
           rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,triangle.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Subject: CFV: rec.gardens.bamboo
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:32:27 GMT

                     FIRST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
                 unmoderated group rec.gardens.bamboo

Instructions for voting are just before the ballot itself.  Please read
them before voting.  If you have questions about the voting process,
ask the votetaker.

This CFV is to be distributed only by the votetaker.  It is not to be
posted to newsgroups, or mailed to mailing lists or individuals, except by
the votetaker, and it is not to be placed on the World Wide Web.  Ballots
or CFVs provided by anyone except the votetaker will be invalid.

Newsgroups line:
rec.gardens.bamboo	All aspects of bamboo growing and uses.

Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 9 Sep 1999.

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party.  Questions
about the proposed group should be directed to the proponent.

Proponent: Bert Silverman <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Kevin Edwards <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Don Riedel <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Herbert Bock <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Marc Solioz <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Phil Stager <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Tydyn Rain St. Clair <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Mark Fellman <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Barry O'Connell <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Charles Lincoln <[email-masked]>
Proponent: Jan Dudley <[email-masked]>

Votetaker: David Bostwick <[email-masked]>

RATIONALE: rec.gardens.bamboo

To put bamboo enthusiasts at all levels of knowledge and experience in touch
with one another and other bamboo organizations worldwide and to consolidate
information about bamboo. To promote, share and diversify uses of bamboo. To
promote and research bamboo generally. There is currently no one Usenet
newsgroup available for the discussion of bamboo. A Deja News Power Search
for March 6, 1999 to June 6, 1999 returned 3965 hits. In reviewing the first
500 articles there were 202 on subject. Using this as a representative
sample of the entire data base, there would be 1601 hits on subject (17 per
day-over 90 days). In addition there are several mailing lists and forums
about bamboo. These are, for the most part, regional services. A newsgroup
for bamboo would not be a replacement for any existing services but would
complement them and help consolidate the world-wide interest in bamboo. The
support group for rec.gardens.bamboo is world wide in makeup and the
majority of the members are not involved with any of the existing services.
This leads us to believe the world wide usage of such a newsgroup will be
well received and increase in usage as the world wide bamboo community
learns of its existence.

CHARTER: rec.gardens.bamboo

This news group will provide a forum for discussing bamboo. Bamboo is a
remarkable plant that grows in all areas of the world and enjoys world-wide
interest. This would be an unmoderated newsgroup, with no official standing
or connection to any company or product.

Advertising Policy:

Following standard Usenet guidelines, the newsgroup is not intended to be
used for commercial advertising, solicitation, or marketing of products or
services. However; a brief description, with no marketing hype, of a bamboo
related business with a link is acceptable.

Acceptable Topics:

The following is a partial list of what is on-topic and is intended only to
give the potential voter the flavor of what kinds of topics would be
appropriate:

Association and Chapter News and Events
Bamboo Arts and Crafts
Bamboo Shoots as Vegetables
Beginner Questions
Building with Bamboo
Books and Articles on Bamboo
Commercial Uses of Bamboo
Cropping and Trimming Groves
Fertilizing
Flowering Reports
Growing Temperate and Tropical Species
Harvest
Links to Bamboo Sites
Maintaining Groves
Marketing
Pests and Diseases
Propagating Bamboo
Research on Bamboo
Reviews of Grove Visits
Reviews of Sources
Short descriptions of your bamboo business with link
Sources of Bamboo (Links to Commercial growers)
Yields

Inappropriate Topics:

Advertising (Links to sources is ok)
Attachments and Binaries
Illegal or Immoral Topics
Personal Attacks
Pornography
Profanity
Racial, Religious, Ethnic, or Gender attacks
Spam

END CHARTER.

DISTRIBUTION:

Pointers directing readers to this CFV will be posted in these groups:

austin.gardens
fl.gardening
hawaii.gardening
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
Bamboo and Banana Talk
 (http://www.insidetheweb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi?acct=mb162227)
Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo
 (http://www.gardenweb.com/forums/grasses/nph-ind.cgi?n=210)
Giant Grass (http://www.onelist.com/viewarchive.cgi?listname=giantgrass)

IMPORTANT VOTING PROCEDURE NOTES: READ THIS BEFORE VOTING

Only one vote is allowed per person or per account.  Duplicate votes
will be resolved in favor of the most recent valid vote.  Addresses and
votes of all voters will be listed in the final voting results post.

Votes must be mailed directly from the voter to the votetaker.  Anonymous,
forwarded, or proxy votes are not valid.  Votes mailed by WWW/HTML/CGI
forms are considered to be anonymous votes.

The use of spam blockers or other munged addresses will prevent you from
receiving an acknowledgement of your vote.  If the address cannot be
verified, the ballot will be disallowed.

Vote counting is automated, and failure to follow these directions may
mean that your vote does not get counted.  If you do not receive an
acknowledgment of your vote within three days contact the votetaker
about the problem.  It is your responsibility to make sure your vote
is registered correctly.

The purpose of a Usenet vote is to determine the genuine interest of
persons who would read a proposed newsgroup.  Soliciting votes from
uninterested parties defeats this purpose.  Please do not distribute
this CFV.  Instead, direct people to the official CFV as posted to
news.announce.newgroups.  Distributing pre-marked or otherwise
edited copies of this CFV is generally considered to be vote fraud.
When in doubt, ask the votetaker.

HOW TO VOTE:

Extract the ballot from the CFV by deleting everything before the
"BEGINNING OF BALLOT" and after the "END OF BALLOT" lines.  Don't worry
about the spacing of the columns or any quote characters (">") that your
reply inserts.  Please do not send the entire CFV back to me.

Fill in the ballot as shown below.  Please provide a valid name and
indicate your desired vote in the appropriate locations inside the ballot.

When finished, MAIL the ballot to: <[email-masked]>.
Just "replying" to this message should work, but check the "To:" line.

Examples of how to properly indicate your vote (do not vote here):

  [ YES     ]  example.yes.vote
  [ NO      ]  example.no.vote
  [ ABSTAIN ]  example.abstention
  [ CANCEL  ]  example.cancellation

DO NOT modify, alter or delete any information in this ballot!
If you do, the voting software will probably reject your ballot.

If these instructions are unclear, please ask the votetaker.

======== BEGINNING OF BALLOT: Delete everything before this line =======
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Do not edit anything in this ballot, except to add your name and vote.
|
| 1ST CALL FOR VOTES: rec.gardens.bamboo
| Official Usenet Voting Ballot <RGB-0001> (Do not remove this line!)
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Please provide a valid name, or your vote may be rejected.  Place
| ONLY your name (i.e., do not include your e-mail address or any other
| information) after the colon on the line below.

Voter name:

| Insert YES, NO, ABSTAIN, or CANCEL inside the brackets for each
| newsgroup listed below (do not delete the newsgroup name):

 Your Vote   Newsgroup
 ---------   -----------------------------------------------------------
[         ]  rec.gardens.bamboo

======== END OF BALLOT: Delete everything after this line ==============

This CFV was created with uvpq 1.0 (Aug 27 1997).
PQ datestamp: 980322

-- 
Voting address    : [email-masked]

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]