Subject: Calls for Proposals

From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Ackermann)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:43:42 -0400

Greetings all!

Just getting into permaculture and enjoying this list very much.
Educational _and_ entertaining ;-)

Got a notice of these research funding opportunities during the course of
my 9-5 job. Thought some of you might be interested.

Please note that each of these Calls for Proposals have different criteria
and areas of interest, as well as geographic limitations.

****************************************************************
(from:
http://carousel.lis.uiuc.edu/~iris/iris.htm?sp={Research%20and%20Education%2
0Projects}&fmt=F )

Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) is a USDA
competitive grants program supporting profitable, environmentally sound,
socially acceptable agricultural systems.

North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Rsrch & Ed Prog (SARE)
 Research and Education Projects
The 1998 Priority areas include: emerging issues or topics relevant to
advancing the sustainability of agriculture ; integration and
diversification of farming systems; sustainable livestock systems;
networking to promote collaboration that will advance the future of
agriculture in a more sustainable way; and environmentally sound management
practices.
DEADLINES ANNOUNCED:          09/12/97
Web Site: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/ncrsare/

North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Rsrch & Ed Prog (SARE)
 Research and Education Projects
  Innovative Marketing Strategies
The North Central Region SARE program is requesting proposals for research
and education activities that address issues of developing and maintaining
marketing infrastructure for sustainable products of current and potential
importance to the region and nation. This is a new, targeted regional
initiative to acknowledge the importance of building marketing capacity
skills for sustainable agriculture producers and the education of consumers
on the benefits of purchasing sustainable agriculture products.
DEADLINES ANNOUNCED:          01/23/98
Web Site: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/ncrsare/

Calls for Proposals were also made in these areas:

Southern Region Sustainable Agriculture Resrch and Educ Prog (SARE)
 Research and Education Projects
The Southern Region USDA Program on SARE is requesting preproposals for
research and education
activities that address issues of sustainable agriculture of current and
potential importance to the region and nation. The objective  is to enable
the full spectrum of farmers and ranchers to move profitably toward
production systems compatible with the concept of sustainable agriculture
 DEADLINES ANNOUNCED:          08/22/97
Web Site: http://www.griffin.peachnet.edu/sare/

Western Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Educ Prog (SARE)
 Research and Education Projects
 The SARE Program's purpose is to encourage research and education to
increase knowledge concerning integrated systems of plant and animal
producation practices having a site specific application that will, over
the long-term: satisfy human food and fiber needs; enhance environmental
quality and the natural resource base upon which the agriculture economy
depends; make the most
efficient use of nonrenewable resources and on-farm resources and
integrate, where appropriate, natural biological cycles and controls;
sustain the economic viability of farm operations; and enhance the quality
of life for farmers and society as a whole.
DEADLINES ANNOUNCED:          10/29/97
http://ext.usu.edu/wsare/

******************************************************
Good luck!

Liz

*******************************************************************
Liz Ackermann
Program Support Technician (WebWeaver)
Program Development Office, Research and Graduate Studies
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
[email-masked]         Phone: (540) 231-2455