Subject: Re: Indicator plants and FUNGI

From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:12:00 +1100

lets not forget fungi as indicators too,
in the first 2 years we had only white fungi on the trees
now there is RED!!! which, according to at least two references I can dig up
for the sceptical in my
chaotic office here,
Red fungi indicates cleaner air than white fungi, no fungi in a high
rainfall area is a concern for worry
about high pollution levels.
It seems that our plantings along the road are screening pollution better
than anticipated.
April

April Sampson-Kelly ADPA,BCA,MCA,GradSci,PDC
LC permaculture Visions
[email-masked]
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
GOOD PLANETS ARE HARD TO FIND
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, 17 November 1997 1:55
Subject: Re: Indicator plants

>
>In a message dated 11/15/97 8:54:56 PM, you wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Thanks to Dan Hemenway for sharing his observations etc. on indicator
>plants.
>>This is real good stuff!
>>Hope others will comment and add to the knowledge base.
>>Apparently Dan has offered to assemble such a list...that list I believe
>>would be of great benefit to us all.. frank
>
>OK, I'll go along with that with the understanding that we are free to
>publish any and all material we receive in this regard as well as taking
>responsibility to repost it on the mailing list in a timely fashion.  If I
do
>NOT post a list, it is because I did not get anything worth coalating.  I'm
>not going to post any indicator plant nominations unless there are soild
>references that say exactly why you think that this is an indicator plant.
> If you have personal observation as the reference--great, at least we know
>it isn't the fantasy of some writer you happened to read.  There is way too
>much of that stuff in the indicator plant/companion plant literature
already.
> In case of personal observation, say exactly what you observed and why you
>then concluded that you were observing a case of an indicator plant--your
>reasoning behind your nomination.  If the plants talk to you that is great.
> After you verify that they aren't lying to you, by actual observations,
>we'll include what they have said in the list.  I do this to myself when I
>feel the plants have spoken to me--I'm not being snide, just realistic by
my
>limited sights.
>
>For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
>1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
>consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
>courses via email.  One is now underway.  Next Live program:  Paraguay,
9/98.
>Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box
52,
>Sparr FL 32192 USA  [email-masked]
>
>We don't have time to rush.
>
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 08:47:20 -0500 (EST)

>It seems that our plantings along the road are screening pollution better

Generally in acid (and otherwise polluted) rain and dust areas, loss of
mycorhizzal fungi indicates the exhaustion of the soil buffering capacity.
 Then aluminum can be, and is, mobilized.  It is utterly toxic to fungi.  So
if your forest still has its fungi, you may be able to save the trees, though
it is a real long shot if you live in anywhere in the North Temperate Zone.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email.  One is now underway.  Next Live program:  Paraguay, 9/98.
Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA  [email-masked]