Subject: [Fwd: Conference Statement]

From: NSPU <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:13:01 +0700

Subject: Conference Statement
From: Global Forum on Sustainable Food and Nutritional Security c/o A <[email-masked]>
To: (Lista de destinatário omitida)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:56:22 -0200

The "International Conference on Alternatives to Globalization" was

attended by 100 delegates.  It was held at the Development Academy of the

Philippines in Tagaytay City, Philippines, November 7-9th, 1998

Conference Statement

Approved November 9, 1998

Tagaytay City, Philippines

We, as individuals and groups from 31 countries in Asia and the Pacific,

Latin America, Africa, Europe and North America, representing people's

movements, networks, organizations, centers, institutes and academe, have

come together in the International Conference on Alternatives to

Globalization with two objectives: first, to seek a deeper understanding of

the global economic crisis and its causes; second, on the basis of our

shared views and experiences, to explore and develop alternative strategies

and paradigms in confronting globalization.

Directly linked to the crisis is globalization - the neoliberal offensive

or contemporary conveyance of monopoly capital to maximize the extraction

of profit. To this end, globalization uses modern technology (such as

robotics and information technology) and the political prescriptions -

liberalization, deregulation and privatization - of the triad multilateral

institutions, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank (WB) and

World Trade Organization (WTO).

Globalization has worsened the effects of the destructive paradigm of

"growth and development." Instead of economic prosperity and social

stability that it promised for all nations, globalization has brought about

economic turmoil, political and social tension, and widespread devastation

to the world's peoples and resources. The myth of globalization has thus

been fully exposed and debunked.

The impacts of the global crisis are all so clearly seen today.

The gap between the rich and poor in all nations, industrial and

non-industrial alike, and between the rich and poor countries is widening

rather than narrowing. Moreover, with the trend towards mergers and

acquisitions, increasingly much more wealth - and power - is being

concentrated in the hands of fewer monopoly capitalists who control  the

transnational corporations (TNCs).

The systematic assaults on labor is dissipating the working class gains,

causing widespread unemployment, job insecurity, loss of benefits, the

destruction of trade unions. The massive displacement of workers leads to

the rise and further commodification of migrant workers.

The peasants' limited gains in agrarian reform are likewise being reversed,

resulting in more landlessness, rural unemployment and penury.

Exploitation of women labor, especially unpaid labor, in farms and

factories is intensified. The crisis causes more women and children to be

displaced, commodified and economically and sexually exploited as

modern-day slaves.  Patriarchy remains a key problem and physical violence

on women and children, both inside and outside the home, is prevalent.

The indigenous people's struggle against exclusion, for their right to

self-determination, recognition of equal rights as citizens and right to

ancestral lands or historical domain is rendered more difficult.  In many

instances their very survival is being threatened by environmental

degradation, mainly caused by TNCs, and by the state policies of disguised

genocide.

Global environmental abuse is being accelerated primarily by globalization.

 The ill effects include climate change, ozone depletion, air and  water

pollution, ocean resource depletion and pollution, deforestation,

extinction of species and dangerous genetic manipulation.

All these problems are arising because of the irrational pursuit of profit

by rampaging capitalism.

Everywhere globalization is eroding the gains of social movements in all

aspects (political, social and cultural). There is a general regression of

democracy, as economic impositions by states entail increasing human rights

violations, not only of economic, social and cultural rights, but of

political and civil rights as well. In the third world, as the majority of

the people are marginalized economically, they are also disempowered

politically.

State power in defense of the people's rights and welfare is increasingly

undermined. On the other hand, state power is, more than ever, being used

to step up the implementation of the neoliberal prescriptions of

globalization, in the form of national legislation, bilateral agreements

with IMF and WB, multilateral pacts under the WTO regime, and regional and

other arrangements.

The very proponents of globalization have acknowledged that the global

crisis embroils the entire capitalist system. They likewise admit the

inevitability of cyclical crises as inherent in the system. They warn of

its recurrence even as they confess failure to find a solution to the

current global crisis.

Far from nearing its end, the crisis threatens to get even worse. As the

liberalization and deregulation drive is being pushed to the maximum - via

the Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI) and the WTO - the situation

can only deteriorate.

Inexorably, the crisis has set in motion a growing opposition to

globalization among the adversely affected peoples, both organized and

unorganized, in all regions of the world. The rising level of popular

opposition is manifested in organized as well as spontaneous protest

actions, and in various creative, if less dramatic, ways.

The International Conference on Alternatives to Globalization is one

manifestation of this growing opposition. It is a closing of ranks of

diverse movements and initiatives toward more effective resistance to

globalization.

United in resisting and rejecting globalization, we are determined to

develop, through our separate and unified initiatives, effective strategies

and paradigms of economic and social development different from the "growth

and development" paradigm that has driven peoples to further economic

marginalization and political disempowerment.

Over the long term, we shall strive to develop alternative paradigms that

uphold and safeguard the peoples' interest, rights, welfare and  values,

ensures their sovereign control of their natural and human resources,

guarantees economic democracy, democratic governance, and their right to

determine their national destiny.

Certainly, we have different ways and means to achieve such  paradigms, and

we respect each other's independence in pursuing the goal.

In the short term, we shall take steps to strengthen the capacities of

peoples and communities to defend themselves against the onslaughts of

globalization. We shall take recourse, principally, in expanding and

strengthening our organizations, sustaining education and pursuing actions

of resistance and struggle that have been proven effective, while we

explore and develop new ones as conditions may require.

Specifically, we call for the following urgent actions:

* Expose and oppose the MAI and prevent its negotiation within the WTO by

immediately launching sustained national and international campaigns. Work

for the withdrawal of the harmful agreements on  agriculture and TRIPs from

the WTO.

* Campaign for the non-payment of foreign loans by nations in crisis.

Oppose the signing of new letters of intent with the IMF and reject  all

onerous loan conditionalities.

* Oppose foreign military intervention in the internal affairs of nations

as it violates their sovereignty and right to self-determination.

* Support the OilWatch declaration against new fossil fuel  exploration.

We firmly resolve to expand, intensify and sustain worldwide  resistance

against globalization.  Separately and together, we shall consistently wage

militant struggles until we defeat this modern scourge. (end)

-----------------------------------------------------

The "International Conference on Alternatives to Globalization" was

attended by 100 delegates.  It was held at the Development Academy of the

Philippines in Tagaytay City, Philippines.

The conference was followed by a global teach-in called "International

Colloquium on Imperialist Globalization and Crisis."  This half-day event

was held at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City, and

was a rousing success and which was attended by more than 400 participants.

Both events were organized by IBON Foundation and BAYAN.

IBON Foundation Inc.

3/F SCC Bldg. 4427 Int. Old Sta. Mesa,

Manila 1008, Philippines

Tel (0063-2) 713-2737 / 713-2729 Fax (0063-2) 716-0108

http://www.info.com.ph/~ibon

Margrete Strand Rangnes

MAI Project Coordinator

Public Citizen Global Trade Watch

215 Pennsylvania Ave, SE

Washington DC, 20003

[email-masked]

202-546 4996, ext. 306

202-547 7392 (fax)

To subscribe to our MAI Listserv send an e-mail to [email-masked], or 

subscribe directly by going to our website,  

www.tradewatch.org

__________________________________________

Ms. Renske van Staveren, Coordinator

International Forum on Food & Agriculture (IFA)

c/o Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP)	

2105 First Avenue South					

Minneapolis, MN, USA  55404-2505		

ph: 612-870-3423       fax: 612-870-4846

<<[email-masked]>			

http://www.iffah.org					

__________________________________________

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint.  

When I ask why the poor have no food,

they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara

***************************************************************

***************************************************************

Flavio Luiz Schieck Valente

Secretaria

Fórum Brasileiro de Segurança Alimentar e Nutricional Sustentável

c/o Agora - Associacao para Projetos de Combate a Fome

SGAN 905 Conjunto B

70790-050. Brasilia. DF Brasil

tel  +55 61 347 4914

fax +55 61 274 8822 

	   347 9002

cel  + 55 61 972 1455

e-mail [email-masked]

<color><param>ffff,0000,0000</param>homepage
http://www.brnet.com.br/rededma/plp

</color>***************************************************************

***************************************************************