Subject: CSIR Tree and Shrub Selection Guide

From: "Steve Diver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:46:51 +0000

Wow!  Ya'll check this out.  A superb find for the 
Permaculturists CD-ROM Bookshelf.  

Steve Diver

============================================
------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
Date:          Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:28:49 +0200
From:          Tree Species Selection Guide <[email-masked]>
To:            [email-masked]
Subject:       Tree and Shrub Selection Guide -Reply

Hi Steve

Sorry for the longest delay in history - the CSIR network has been
altered and they have just restored the TSSG mail "box".

The program consists of four modules:

* The Tree Browser - allows you to examine data in 142 fields,
view photographs and distribution maps if available and print out data on
the 1627 species.

* Name search - allows you to search the database using
keywords, e.g. milkwood.

* Spatial selection - allows you to select species for certain areas
of South Africa.

* Species selection - this allows you to select trees and shrubs
using a variety of criteria.  This is probably the most useful module for
gardeners/landscapers/nurserymen because they can select species
for certain uses to suit their climate, e.g. extremely frost hardy, thorny
shrubs to form security barriers, or frost hardy trees suitable for use in
informal hedges or windbreaks, or trees and shrubs which will tolerate
aluminium toxic or hardpan soil.

The database is designed to assist in identifying suitable species for
specific applications and site conditions.  It is based on years of
research by the South African Forestry Research Institute and Forestek,
CSIR (now Environmentek, CSIR), and additionally incorporates
information from local and overseas publications.  The philosophy is to
populate the database with whatever data are available, even if it is
incomplete.  Therefore well known species have most data fields full, but
lesser researched species have less information.  Hopefully a Mark II
version will expand on the number of species and the information per
species.

The spatial selection is based on defining the climatic conditions under
which a given species will grow.  This has been obtained by recording
where the species grow and determining site and climatic conditions. 
The range from the lowest to the highest condition of climatic variables is
calculated.  Areas where all nine climatic variables are met are mapped
at 1.6 km2 resolution for the whole of South Africa.

The minimum PC requirements are a 386 with 4MB RAM, running
Microsoft Windows with 8 MB of hard disk space available, although a
486 with CD ROM drive is preferable if you want to access the pictures. 
The standard database requires 5MB disk space with a further 2 to 3 MB
of disk space required to run the spatial selection and distribution map
option.  A CD ROM is required for the graphics library.

TREE AND SHRUB SELECTION GUIDE ORDER FORM

The manual and the database and mapping facility sold on four stiffie
disks, cost R299.00 including VAT.  For an extra R50.00 you can buy the
graphics library of over 400 drawings and photographs on a CD ROM
disk (if purchased with the standard version).  Altogether R349.00
including VAT.  If the program is to be sent to an address outside South
Africa, there is an additional R60.00 postal and insurance fee.

I wish to purchase ........ copies of the Tree and Shrub Selection
Guide @ R299.00 a copy = R ...........

I wish to purchase ........ copies of the Tree and Shrub Selection
Guide @ R349.00 a copy = R ...........

Post and insurance fee = R............		       Total =R ...........

My personal details are as follows:

Name:	........................................................
Company:	........................................................
Address:	........................................................
Zip Code    (..........)...........................................
Telephone number:      Code (...........)...............    
Fax number: 	Code (..........)................

Method of payment: 

Send cheque/postal order made out to Environmentek, CSIR
or
Charge VISA/MASTER card:

Card number:......................................    Expiry date:............/19......
Signature:............................................     Date:.................................

or

Deposit the money in our bank account (Environmentek, CSIR) at
Volkskas Bank, Lynnwood Rd, Pretoria, routing code 33474510, account
number 540002355.  Fax or post a photocopy of the deposit slip to us,
clearly indicating your name and postal address.

OUR ADDRESS: 

Tree and Shrub Selection Guide 
(Attention: Anne Tapson)
Environmentek, CSIR
P.O. Box 395
Pretoria, 0001
South Africa

Do ask for any details I have left out!

My apologies once again.

Cheers

Anne

>>> "Steve Diver" <[email-masked]> 24/June/1997 09:43pm
>>>
>Anne Tapson
>Division of Water, Environment and Forestry Technology
>PO Box 395
>Pretoria 0001
>South Africa 
>[email-masked]
>
>Greetings!  
>
>I read about the Tree and Shrub Selection Guide produced by 
>CSIR in the magazine Agroforestry Today.  I work at an NGO 
>in the U.S. that supplies information to farmers on sustainable 
>agricultural topics, including agroforestry.  
>
>Please send information on the database, including cost.  
>
>In addition to my own organization, I can think of several 
>permaculture organizations and publications that would
>find this information useful.  
>
>Thanks sincerely, 
>
>Steve Diver, Technical Specialist
>Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas 
>PO Box 3657
>Fayetteville, Arkansas  72702
>[email-masked]
============================================

--
[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Diver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:15:33 +0000

Hi Steve, 

The money market is somewhat volatile (today the Rand dollar exchange
rate is $1=R4.8 which makes the R409.00 equal to about $83.81) so lets
round the price out to $85.00 and hope that holds for a month or two!

Cheers
Anne
=================================================
=================================================
>Anne, 
>
>Can you tell me what the exchange rate between South African currency
>(i.e., R349.00 plus an additional R60.00 postal and insurance fee) and
>U.S. dollars might be?  In other words, how many U.S. dollars are
>equivalent to R409.00?
>
>Thanks!
>Steve Diver
==================================================
==================================================

> Tree and Shrub Selection Guide (South Africa)
>
> A multi-species database developed by South African Forestry 
> Research Institute and Forestek, CSIR (now Environmentek, CSIR)
>
> view photographs and distribution maps if available and print out data
> on the 1627 species.
> 
> incomplete.  Therefore well known species have most data fields full,
> but lesser researched species have less information.  Hopefully a Mark II
> The range from the lowest to the highest condition of climatic variables
> is calculated.  Areas where all nine climatic variables are met are mapped
> The standard database requires 5MB disk space with a further 2 to 3
> MB of disk space required to run the spatial selection and distribution map
> disks, cost R299.00 including VAT.  For an extra R50.00 you can buy
> the graphics library of over 400 drawings and photographs on a CD ROM
> 
> Post and insurance fee = R...........  Total =R ...........
> 
>Company:.......................................................
>Address:...........................................................
>...............................................................
>Code(..............................)
 
> Telephone number: Code (...........).............................    
> Fax number:             Code (..........)..............................
> 
> Method of payment: 
> 
> Volkskas Bank, Lynnwood Rd, Pretoria, routing code 33474510,
> account number 540002355.  Fax or post a photocopy of the deposit 
> slip to us, clearly indicating your name and postal address.
> 
> OUR ADDRESS:	
>Attention: Anne Tapson
>Environmentek CSIR

--
[email-masked]