Subject: Re: Guilds

From: [email-masked] (Simon Henderson)
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:20:09 -0600

>In a message dated 10/2/97 12:54:35 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of a book or a list of guilds? Especially guilds for
>>dry climates. I would also be interested in having the descriptions of
>>why and how etc.
>>The more creative and unusual the guilds the better. I am looking
>>forward to your input.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>Jenny
>>
>>[email-masked]
>
>
>Hi Jenny:
>
>In my opinion, the idea of guilds is one of the areas in which Mollison leads
>folks astray.  Recipes are inappropriate to permaculture.  There are some
>plants that do well together, but it is best to know your plants and know
>your site and the make site-specific recommendation s.  Anything less isn't
>permaculture, in my opinion.  There is room for standard designs, but the
>best standard designs with respect to plant selection are species matrices
>such as published in the old and still unequalled publication by TILTH, The
>Future is Abundant.

Excellent point, and I strongly concur. The Future is Abundant is
unfortunately out of print, but has recently been posted on someone's
website. Anybody out there know where?

Simon Henderson
Bamboo People
322 N. 82nd St.
Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 784-3069
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Katherine Waser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 10:28:21 -0700

The URL for the online version of The Future is Abundant is:
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/tilth/

Not all the chapters are online but there's a lot there already.

happy guild experimenting,

Katherine Waser