Subject: Re: BAD NEWS website address for Permaculture International

From: Thilo Pfennig <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jul 1999 10:20:43 +0200

"April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]> writes:

> on line as it prefers to sell hard copies.
> this is not in line with fair share and share of surplus as far as i am
> concerned.
> People like me offer our addresses free of charge.  These people are
> prepared to be telephoned, emailed, visited etc.  We do a lot of voluntary work for
> permaculture. 

But have in mind that some institutions pay for every MB they transfer
via internet (mail,www,ftp, other stuff). If a project becomes too big
people must do one of these things: end the project, bring commercials
on the site, find a sponsor for the pages. The last would be the best.

> I have offered to share my webspace. any other suggestions welcomed at this
> point.

Maybe you should look on the traffic the global directory produces,
before you start off. I don´t know you conditions or how thick youir
lines are, but if your connection is not good, the resulkt might be
very slow browsing on your pages.

But I think what Lawrence and others try fits very well in the global
directory. Maybe it is possible to work with them for you?

BTW: I am very busy nowadays, so my work (PC-faq in sgml, etc.)
will have to wait. But I have all this mind.

-- 
Thilo Pfennig 
<http://Alternativ.Net/>

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:45:47 -0400 (EDT)

> Date: 27 Jul 1999 10:20:43 +0200
> From: Thilo Pfennig <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: BAD NEWS website address for Permaculture International

> very slow browsing on your pages.

MetaLab can handle the traffic without any problem. I have already
created a generic permaculture website here to accomodate whatever the
needs of the folks in this group are. This included all detractors and
naysayers, those in learning mode, newbies and all. 
 
> directory. Maybe it is possible to work with them for you?

I am ready to begin our GPD here at MetaLab now. Over coffee just now I
put together a clutch of ready-to-go resources we can begin using very
effectively. All I need to do is plug the code into the webpage.

Details in my next post, after another cup of coffee and something to eat.
I will need VOLUNTEERS, a few with passworded access
to a ducument input area.

This is a way cool project that I think we can easily pull off -
it will build over the years and the ease of use of these new resources
will help it along.

> will have to wait. But I have all this mind.

Thanks go to you for that, Thilo.

And Dan: Try to make this GPD project work for you. Your permaculture
activities are very interesting and valuable to all of us and I, for one,
am interested in helping promote your publications, workshops and courses.
Your presence in this list is valued. 

Lawrence
el hombre de las pocas palabras

---