Subject: RE: Vegan Pc

From: "Eugene F. Monaco" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:49:22 -0400

The only problem with vegan groups and permaculture is when they demand
that everyone in the group follow their philosophies, to the point of
creating a litmus test for entry into the group.  This type of exclusivism
can exist with any group, not just vegans.  A more proper term for this I
think is "cult".  Vegan cultism and permaculture do seem IMO mutually
exclusive as Lee points out.  But individual preferences, in the context of
widescale tolerance and even encouragement of diversity, to me fit well
with permaculture principles.
And on the subject of there not being any vegan tribes, I once heard of a
group of them, long, long ago, that thrived to such an extent that they
were considered surplus by another group.  This other group got carried
away and, with the help of some Texas BBQ sauce, ate them to extinction.
Gene

---

From: Lee Flier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:02:16 -0400

>with permaculture principles.

Yeah exactly!  I think a community that has both vegans/veggies and
omnivores would work just fine, as long as everybody's tolerant as you say.
 Unfortunately that is often not the case.  I could see potential problems
with vegans being disturbed by others in the community raising and/or
hunting animals.

Sigh... it ain't easy trying to save the world... :-)

= Lee =

***************************************************************************
Lee A Flier
[email-masked]
Atlanta and Ellijay, Georgia, U.S.A.
http://lflier.home.mindspring.com

---

From: Lee Flier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:02:16 -0400

= Lee =