Subject: Hawai'i Island Permaculture Design and Deep Ecology Course

From: "john valenzuela" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 23:33:47 PST

Permaculture Design and Deep Ecology

at La'a Kea Permaculture Gardens 

on the Big Island of Hawai'i

January 3 to 24, 1999

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The course:

This three week basic permaculture design course and skills intensive 
will balance classroom presentation with field demonstrations and "hands 
in the dirt" practice. It is a great opportunity to experience first 
hand one of the best examples of permaculture in Hawai'i, while learning 
from some of the most experienced permaculture teachers and designers 
from both Hawai'i and the U.S. mainland. Our Deep Ecology program 
facilitated by Dr. Beatrix Pfleiderer, is a process oriented exploration 
of our individual and collective connection to Earth.

The site:
La'a Kea Permaculture Gardens is a 25 acre demonstration farm and
education center. We are located in the rain forest on the slopes of the 
most active volcano in the world, Kilauea. Active lava flows enter the 
ocean 10 miles from the farm. 

This area is also well known for its agricultural abundance since 
ancient times, which evolved from the traditional Hawaiian sustainable 
land use system, known as the ahupua'a. We are growing many traditional 
hawaiian crops including food plants, medicinal and fiber plants. 
Additionally we have plantings of many other species from around the 
world, including over seventy fruit varieties, and sixteen bamboo sp. 
Integrated systems on the ground include intensive annual and perennial 
gardens, green manure hedgerow alley cropping, orchard and agroforestry 
plantings, animal forage systems, ponds for aquaculture and fertility, 
"off the grid" power systems, and more.

Instructors:

Ken Boche M.A., the owner and operator of a diversified nursery, an 
experienced permaculture consultant and teacher, and community organizer 
who specializes on the "invisible structures" of permaculture. With a 
degree in biogeography, Ken has taught environmental field studies 
through U.C. Santa Cruz.

Doug Bullock, a landscape and homestead designer, nurseryman and world 
traveler with extensive experience in all aspects of permaculture design 
and installation. Doug, with his brothers, have created one of the best 
examples of permaculture in North America on Orcas Island, Washington 
state.

Lonnie Gamble, the president of Hydroelectric Power Development Co. 
specializing in wind, solar thermal, biomass, and photovoltaic energy 
systems.

Don May, the manager of La'a Kea Gardens and a permaculture design 
consultant and teacher with over 15 years of practical farming and 
landscaping experience, including market gardening and integrated 
orchard design and management.

Beatrix Pfleiderer, Ph.D. a medical anthropologist and transpersonal 
psychotherapist who specializes in deep ecology, ecopsychology, and 
group consciousness work. She has traveled through out the world 
studying healing cults and ritual, and now calls Hawai'i home.

John Valenzuela, a horticulturist and educator based in Hawai'i who 
works with adults and youth in Hawai'i and California. His specialties 
are home gardens, trees, ethnobotany, plant collecting and propagation, 
with experience in California doing reforestation, growing and marketing 
organic produce, and urban gardening.

In addition, we will have many guest presenters from around the state.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
For registration and transportation information contact:

La'a Kea Permaculture Gardens

Phone number: (808)965-0178

Email: [email-masked]

Or visit our web site at:
Http://www.permaculture-hawaii.com

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com