Subject: Re: Rhus clan

From: CK Valois/B Brummitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:10:58 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Miekal...
Since our climates are similar, I thought I'd take a moment to respond to
this....

If you sheet mulch using some material such as cardboard boxes, birdseed
bags, grocery bags, or lots of newspaper first, and do it far enough out and
away from the parent plants, you can definitely squelch the poison ivy.
Staghorn sumac can be used as a good herb, as can prickly ash (which is one
of our most wonderful gifts)...The fruit (once dried and ground) can even be
used in Lebanese style cooking.  Prickly ash is a great perimetre barrier,
along with its medicinal value.

We grow apples in close proximity to sumac, but it was inadvertant.

Hope all is well at DreamTime...got to get out there to visit some time...

Bruce

  Cheryl Valois and Bruce Brummitt
           <[email-masked]> 
             46N56' 95W20'
   Visit the Natural Building Gallery
   <http://www.zianet.com/blackrange>

----------
From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Rhus clan
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 10:24:34 +0000

Wondering if anyone could confirm the theory that where sumac grows is
an indicator of good location for apples?  Of course, here in Wisconsin,
sumac & prickly ash are consistently the 2 pioneer species on disturbed
land.  Sumac seems easy to deal with, & dies away from competition from
larger trees, prickly ash is a lot more rugged, does eventually get
shaded out by deep woods, but makes life hell in the mean time.

Also, has anyone tried sheetmulching poison ivy?  Ive got some spots
appearing in our nut orchard that are still managable & would like to do
something before they take over the whole orchard. 

Miekal