Subject: otamatea eco-village, kaiwaka, NZ

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:15:07 -0500

* To: <[email-masked]>
    * Subject: otamatea eco-village, kaiwaka, NZ
    * From: "otamatea" <[email-masked]>
    * Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:06:40 +1300

 otamatea eco-village, kaiwaka, NZ
 [email-masked]
 From: mailto:[email-masked]

 I am involved as a founder member of a permaculture eco-village on the
 north island of new zealand, being developed on a 251 acre peninsula. 
We
 plan to be fifteen families having 5 acres each, plus 175 acres of
common
 land.  We are holding our first course there in March and April - a
 Permaculture Design Course for intending residents.  I would like to
hear
 from others going through the process of connecting through
permaculture,
 and forming communities.  Namaste, Lynne Hindle
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
otamatea eco-village, kaiwaka, NZ

To: <[email-masked]>

Subject: otamatea eco-village, kaiwaka, NZ

From: "otamatea" <[email-masked]>

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:06:40 +1300

[email-masked]
I am involved as a founder member of a permaculture eco-village on the
north island of new zealand, being developed on a 251 acre peninsula. We
plan to be fifteen families having 5 acres each, plus 175 acres of common
land. We are holding our first course there in March and April - a
Permaculture Design Course for intending residents. I would like to hear
from others going through the process of connecting through permaculture,
and forming communities. Namaste, Lynne Hindle

Prev by Date: Welcome to the Small Farming Bulletin Board

Prev by thread: Welcome to the Small Farming Bulletin Board

Index(es):

Main

Thread

---

From: Mark Ludwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:26:37 -0600

A few thoughts on community and PC.
I've lived in several group living situation including one ecovillage.  I
have a few hard and fast rules for sucess.
1. Work is the basis of trust, not lofty retoric, not promises or ideology.
Working side by side for a shared goal is the greatest of all comunity
building activities.
2. Sharing goals is essential.  Thre will most asuradly be folks in your
orginization who are more knowledgable than others.  They can be tremendous
helps to development BUT they can also induse disastrous divisivness if they
act as arrogant bosses trying to dictate the groups course of development
based on their "authority".  There is a fine line to walk here; It is much
more efficent to deligate responsibility to individuals or small design
groups rather than trying to design/implement by committee, yet on the other
hand resentments may build if a portion of your group becomes viewed as
autocratic.  Open sharing of progress and thinking and ideas is critical to
ballancing these tensions, and a good facilitator who can calm dow
disagreements will help dramatically.  You may avoid some of these problems
with your public and private space model.
3. Make sure you get together for fun things too!  Eat at least 3 meals a
week together, have parties and go on outings!   If all the group does
together is work, then getting together may start to take on a negitive
connotation.
You may want to get a copy of the Directory of Intentional Comunities if you
don't already have it.  Though primarily geared toward American comunities,
it has many articals on group process and development that WILL save time
and heart ache.  THERE IS NO NEED TO REINVENT THE WHEEL HERE!   Try to find
an established and stable community to advise you, it is much simpler to
start these projects with someone elses basic documents and methods rather
than try to make it all up yourself.  These start ups require too much work
to redo things already worked out by others.  Good luck! Your goals are
laudable and the cosmose really is on your side (most days anyway).
Mark

10:15 AM 2/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii; name="msg00001.html"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>Content-Disposition: inline; filename="msg00001.html"
>Content-Base: "http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/agricult
>	ure/forums/small-farm-BB/msg00001.h
>	tml"
>
><BASE
HREF="http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/agriculture/forums/small-farm-BB/msg0000
1.html">
>
><!--X-Subject: otamatea eco&#45;village, kaiwaka, NZ -->
><!--X-From: "otamatea" <[email-masked]> -->
><!--X-Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:06:40 +1300 -->
><!--X-Message-Id: 199702260004.NAA28263@fep1&#45;orange.clear.net.nz -->
><!--X-ContentType: text/plain -->
><!--X-Head-End-->
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML//EN">
><HTML>
><HEAD>
><TITLE>otamatea eco-village, kaiwaka, NZ</TITLE>
><LINK REV="made" HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">
></HEAD>
><BODY>
><!--X-Body-Begin-->
><!--X-User-Header-->
><!--X-User-Header-End-->
><!--X-TopPNI-->
><HR>
>[<A HREF="msg00000.html">Date Prev</A>][Date Next][<A
HREF="msg00000.html">Thread Prev</A>][Thread Next][<A
HREF="maillist.html#00001">Date Index</A>][<A
HREF="threads.html#00001">Thread Index</A>]
><!--X-TopPNI-End-->
><!--X-MsgBody-->
><!--X-Subject-Header-Begin-->
><H1>otamatea eco-village, kaiwaka, NZ</H1>
><HR>
><!--X-Subject-Header-End-->
><UL>
><LI><em>To</em>: &lt;<A
HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A>&gt;</LI>
><LI><em>Subject</em>: otamatea eco-village, kaiwaka, NZ</LI>
><LI><em>From</em>: "otamatea" &lt;<A
HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A>&gt;</LI>
><LI><em>Date</em>: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:06:40 +1300</LI>
></UL>
><!--X-Head-Body-Sep-Begin-->
><HR>
><!--X-Head-Body-Sep-End-->
><!--X-Body-of-Message-->
><PRE>
>[email-masked]
></PRE>
><!--X-MsgBody-End-->
><!--X-Follow-Ups-->
><!--X-Follow-Ups-End-->
><!--X-References-->
><!--X-References-End-->
><!--X-BotPNI-->
><HR>
><UL>
><LI>Prev by Date:
><STRONG><A HREF="msg00000.html">Welcome to the Small Farming Bulletin
Board</A></STRONG>
></LI>
><LI>Prev by thread:
><STRONG><A HREF="msg00000.html">Welcome to the Small Farming Bulletin
Board</A></STRONG>
></LI>
><LI>Index(es):
><UL>
><LI><A HREF="maillist.html#00001"><STRONG>Main</STRONG></A></LI>
><LI><A HREF="threads.html#00001"><STRONG>Thread</STRONG></A></LI>
></UL>
></LI>
></UL>
>
><!--X-BotPNI-End-->
><!--X-User-Footer-->
><!--X-User-Footer-End-->
></BODY>
></HTML>
>