Subject: Re: Queen Anne's Lace, others -- how to plant?

From: Rev Chuck <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Aug 1999 01:16:07 -0400

Stratification?  Time of year to plant?  

I've seen a method for producing wildflower "cubes," where the seeds 
are mixed with moist compost or other rich soil.  The mud is then 
pressed through a coarse wire mesh and allowed to dry.  Come planting 
time, just broadcast the cubes.  The compost layer provides sufficient 
food and protection during germination.  The extra mass also helps you 
throw the cubes farther.

The U.S. Forest Service had experimented some 20, 25 years ago with 
artificial, biodegradable plastic "burrdocks"  Each one carried seeds 
and a pinch of fertilizer.  The burrs' light weight and elongated 
spikes gave the wind something to grab, speeding the replanting of 
large barren waste areas.  I didn't find out how the experiments 
ended, but the idea was ingenious.  

Susan Wehe wrote:
> 
> Chuck,
>         You might want to contact the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center (they
> have a web site you can find through a search) and ask.  Great group of
> very knowledgeable folks.
>         I did see them mix 5 parts red clay (got though a hobby shop), 1 part
> peat to 1 part seeds and make seed balls with a diameter of about 3/4 of
> an inch.  They spread these out over the surface where they wanted the
> wildflowers to take hold.  Being that it's 3:30am, I'd absolutely
> recommend that you verify the recipe with them... my mind really doesn't
> work until after 7am and my first cup of coffee, and even then, it's
> touch and go :)
> 
> susan
> 

-- 
Nothing says you're insane like prayer.  
Rev Chuck, Alt.Atheism #203, Ordained Reverend, ULC, 17 March, 1997.
Remove -REMOVE_THIS- from address to respond.