Subject: Re: Khiza'a Permaculture Centre in Gaza Strip

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:38:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/99 11:05:19 AM, [email-masked] writes:

<<
One method I really liked is filling the dividing/walking spaces 
between raised crop beds with muclh, all the way to the cropline 
along the sides of the beds. >>

Of course this was pirated from the New Alchemy Institute.

Dan Hemenway

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:48:27 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. -+|+- Venaura Farm
[email-masked]   [email-masked]
http://metalab.unc.edu/london, /permaculture, /ecolandtech
EcoLandTech -+|+- InterGarden -+|+- Permaculture

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

> between raised crop beds with mulch, all the way to the cropline 

:-) LOL

Anyway, Dan, I'm sure folks have been using this technique for thousands
of years. I'm sure my ancestor Rocky Stoneaxe might have used it too.
Should be standard operating procedure for any gardener.

Its definitely in the AGOTO Dept. (amazing grasp of the obvious) for 
all but the brain-dead Roundup-ready sycophant toadies in our society.

Digging a raised bed may involve shovelling dirt from an access path 
onto the adjoining area then filling the excavation with mulch to the
cropline on the bed - conserves moisture and nutrients - supplies
nutrients as the mulch rots and water as well since the mulched 
area serves as catchment - if the bed itself is mulched, even less
irrigation is required. Open area not in raised bed can provide nearly
all the mulch required from harvested weeds; fertility of this area
can be enhanced with legume plantings - lespediza is a very hardy 
and permanent N2-fixing crop - if mixed with edge plantings of eleagnus
even more N2 can be made available - endless possibilities.

What's your take on building and maintaining raised beds (for any crop)?

---