Subject: Re: Anger - Ecofascism

From: Loren Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:21:32 -0800

At 01:31 AM 3/30/98 -0500, Lee Flier wrote:
>Excellent post David!  And this is exactly the kind of thing I was
>referring to.  Too many effective "movements" end up getting completely
>watered down and unable to achieve their original purpose because people
>prefer "niceness" and security to combativeness and risk.

That's funny....I've believed, for some years now, that too many movements
end up losing their positive vision to excessive anger, and instead of
remaining for something positive, become yet another "anti-something" movement.

Which, IMHO, plays right into the hands of the dominant, "zero-sum",
conflict-driven paradigm.  "We have met the enemy and he is us".

  People also
>prefer rigid, black-and-white answers to complex problems, and a good angry
>diatribe tends to remind everyone that their dogma is not so safe. :-)

Or it tends to force the discussion into oversimplified black-and-white
terms and thus rob it of its power.  Not to mention putting it back into the
"turf" of the dominant, anti-cooperative culture.

Walk in balance,

Loren
--
Loren Davidson      
[email-masked]         http://www.batnet.com/beauty/
"Follow your dreams.  Make your wishes.  Create the future.  And above all,
believe in yourself."  -- J. Michael Straczynski

---

From: Lee Flier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:35:15 -0500

>remaining for something positive, become yet another "anti-something"
movement.

Right.  The problem is the "movement" definition - the dogma.  And of
course, inappropriate or misplaced anger, which again is not synonymous
with anger.

>"turf" of the dominant, anti-cooperative culture.

Once again, I said a "good" angry diatribe.  And once again, I am
definitely into cooperation but what I am trying to say is that anger
itself does not equate to non-cooperation, or competition.  As long as we
can't separate healthy anger from unhealthy anger, we will continue to
equate anger with negative things, and we will continue to express it
inappropriately and/or run from others who express it inappropriately.

= Lee =

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:16:23 -0400 (EDT)

Cease & desist the wasteful flamewars.
Please help keep this permaculture list on track.

Thanks,

Lawrence
list owner

http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]

---

From: Lee Flier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:35:15 -0500

= Lee =

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:16:23 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks,

Lawrence
list owner