Subject: Agroforestry Resources for Permaculture Bookshelf

From: "Steve Diver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:59:15 +0000

Agroforestry Resources for the Permaculturists' Bookshelf 
                                       May 1997

============================================
                       Key Forestry Resources:
============================================

Fowells, H.A.  1965.  Silvics of Forest Trees of the United States.
Agriculture Handbook No. 271.  Forest Service, USDA.  762 p.

Little, Elbert L., Jr.  1979.  Checklist of United States Trees
(Native and Naturalized).  Agriculture Handbook No. 541.  Forest
Service, USDA  375 p.

Schopmeyer, C.S.  1974.  Seeds of the Woody Plants in the United
States.  Agriculture Handbook No. 450.  Forest Service, USDA.  883  p.

Van Dersel, W.R.  1938.  Native Woody Plants of the United States:
Their Erosion-Control and Wildlife Values.  USDA Miscellaneous
Publication No. 303.  362 p. 

Young, James A., and Cherly G. Young.  1992.  Seeds of Woody Plants of
North America.  Dioscorides Press, Portland, OR.  407 p.
      Seeds of Woody Plants of North America is a greatly revised edition
of the legendary U.S.D.A. Agriculture Handbook No. 450, Seeds of
Woody Plants in the United States.  The new edition covers twice the
genera of plants, including new material on native plants used in
environmental plantings and Asian plant materials of importance. The
focus is on propagation from seed; vegetative propagation is not
covered.  Presentation 	of material is condensed, however, and access
to the U.S.D.A. edition may be helpful for literature citations,
 taxonomic information, tables, and chapters on seed biology,
genetics, pollen handling, and harvesting and storage procedures.
Seeds of Woody Plants of North America lists for $49.95 from Timber
Press.  Contact: 

Timber Press, Inc.
9999 S.W. Wilshire, Suite 123
Portland, OR  97225
(800) 327-5680

==========================================
                     Key Agroforestry Proceedings
==========================================
1.
Ehrenreich, John H., Dixie L. Ehrenreich, and Harry W. Lee (ed.) 
1996.  Building a Sustainable Future:  Proceedings of the 4th North
American Agroforestry Conference.  Held July 1995 in Boise, Idaho. 
200 p.

Topics covered in the proceedings include:  agroforestry potential, 
biology of temperate agroforestry 	systems, economics of
agroforestry, temperate agroforestry cropping systems, riparian
buffer strips, silvopastoral systems, alley cropping and
intercropping, and windbreaks and shelterbelts.  Cost is $40, checks
payable to University of Idaho at: 

Dr. John Ehrenreich
College of Forestry, Wildlife, and Range Stations
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID  83844-1135
Tel:	208-885-7600
Fax:	208-885-5878
Email:	[email-masked]

2.
Schultz, Richard C. and Joe P.Calletti (ed.)  1994.  Opportunities for
Agroforestry in the Temperate Zone Worldwide.  Proceedings of the
Third North American Temperate Agroforestry Conference.  Held August
1993 in Ames, Iowa.  

Order Opportunities for Agroforestry in the Temperate Zone Worldwide
from:

Department of Forestry
251 Bessey Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA  50011-1021
515-294-1166

3.
Rietveld, W.J.  1995.  Agroforestry and Sustainable Systems: 
Symposium Proceedings.  Held August 7-10, 1994 in Fort Collins,
Colorado.  General Technical Report RM-GTR-261.  USDA-Forest Service,
Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station.  276 p.
     Topics in the proceedings include:  riparian buffer systems, soil
bioengineering--the use of dormant woody planting for slope
protection, windbreak systems, living snowfences, trees and pasture,
agroforestry and wildlife, status of agroforestry in 5 agroclimatic
regions of the U.S., agroforestry-enhanced biodiversity,
conservation trees, and much more.  A major contribution organized
and sponsored by the U.S.D.A.  	

4.
Garret, H.E. (ed.)  1991.  The 2nd Conference on Agroforestry in North
America.  The School of Natural Resources, University of Missouri,
Columbia, MO.  

5.
Williams, Peter (ed.)  1989.  Agroforestry in North America: 
Proceedings of the First Conference on Agroforestry in North America.
Department of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph,
Ontario.

============================================
             Key Resource Centers, Periodicals & Organizations
============================================

The National Agroforestry Center
Rocky Mountain and Range Experiment Station
University of Nebraska - East Campus
Lincoln, NE  68583-0822
402-437-5178
http://gis.umn.edu/~hperry/NAC_FS/NatAgrofor.Cntr.Overview.html
     Publishes Inside Agroforestry newsletter, provides technical
assistance to landowners on windbreaks and agroforestry, sponsors
research, distributes literature.

Association for Temperate Agroforestry (AFTA)
c/o Dr. Deborah Hill, Treasurer
Forestry Department
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY  40546-0073
     $25/year membership fee includes subscription to The Temperate
Agroforester

The Temperate Agroforester , quarterly newsletter
Association for Temperate Agroforestry
P.O. Box 266
Lake Oswego, OR  97034
http://gis.umn.edu/~hperry/agroforestry.html

Agroforestry Today
ICRAF Subscriptions
P.O. Box 46
Stevenage, Hertfordshire  SG1 4TS
England
$40/4 issues per year
     Agroforestry Today is a quarterly magazine that carries reports
from around the world on farming systems that focus on the
integration of trees, crops, and livestock, and the people who raise
them. It is one of the leading  voices for agroforestry worldwide. 
While the content deals mostly with sub-tropical and tropical
agroforestry, much of the information has universal applications
(e.g., mycorrhizae, on-farm research methods, soil-plant
interactions, tree establishment methods, etc.)

============================================
                                 Compiled by Steve Diver
                                 [email-masked]
============================================

--
[email-masked]