Subject: Permaculture Interships

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 07:40:27 -0500 (EST)

Internships in Permaculture

Yankee and Elfin Permaculture have created openings for two interns at our
newly-acquired facilities in central Florida.  We seek people with vision,
self-motivation, and balanced senses of adventure and boundaries.  Work will
include both office work for our publishing and teaching activities and
outdoor work as we create a permaculture design for our own place.  Specific
tasks will be balanced between routine work and projects for which the intern
takes primary responsibility. Duration of programs is negotiable though we
prefer a potential period of one year or more. With enough time, interns can
develop profit-sharing enterprises using our resource base.

Arrangements can be made for suitable interns to reside on site as our
guests.  There will be the opportunity for each intern to develop a personal
garden area, if s/he desires, to manage in any way consistent with ecological
responsibility and organic practices.  Simple vegetarian basics and cooking
facilities can be provided. (Meat eaters are welcome--we just don't want to
pay for it.  There may be surplus fish and game.)
Tobacco smokers will not be considered because of plant diseases carried on
tobacco and its smoke.  No drugs or illegal substances of any kind are
acceptable here.

There is also opportunity for select Permaculture Design Course graduates to
fill these slots as apprentices in our APT (Advanced Permaculture Training)
program.

For details, send a concise statement to us directly at the email or U.S.
mail address below.  Hardcopy inquiries should be typed and confined to one
page. Please confine email to about 500 words.  

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
permaculture training by email. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O.
Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA  [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

---

From: sal schettino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:52:55 -0800

The one cover crop I planted that seems to do good here was fava beans.
Thanks for the tip Dan.  Now how do I harvest these fava beans  for seed
crop for next year.  Do I wait for them to dry ? My trees need N and favas
seem like a easy N fixer to grow here in the cool winter. What do fava
beans look like when you are picking for seed and what do they look like
when you are picking for eating and how do you eat them.

---

From: sal schettino <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:52:55 -0800