Subject: [permaculture] urban permaculture in Australia

From: Louise Crabtree <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:48:18 +1100 (EST)

Dear all

Hello!  My name's Louise and I'm a relative newcomer to the list, as well
as to permaculture, although I've been in a slowly decreasing orbit around
it for a few years.  I'm living in inner Sydney with my partner, where
we're slowly converting the kikuyu monster that was in the yard into some
form of permaculture.  At the moment, we're doing this by ourselves,
which we're not very happy with, so part of the reason I'm posting this is
to get in touch with fellow permaculture people and to invite anyone in
the Sydney area to get in touch - we like excuses to give people some
hospitality and we're very keen to get some advice/friends/reprimands(?).

As well as the backyard extravaganza, I am about to embark on an Honours
thesis regarding how we go about converting idle urban land
(especially land in the hands of institutions such as the SRA/Water
Board) into growing spaces, namely community permaculture gardens.
I'm interested in things like the gardens South Sydney Council are
involved in, as well as anything resembling allotment systems - are there  
any in Australia???  What I'm after is stories, contacts, ideas, inspiration, info,
interested people, whatever, concerning any such projects in urban areas
of Australia.

So hopefully, I will hear something back and find out who some of you
lovelies are.  Please, inundate me!

Looking forward to some good conversations.

Louise.

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul Osmond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 01:22:26 PST

Louise:

There is an small but active and enthusiastic group of community 
gardeners/permaculturists associated with the University of New South 
Wales (Randwick), where I work. Some are students or ex-students, some 
work there and others just live nearby (including some fantastic older 
locals with a wealth of gardening experience). We are looking to 
establish an "EcoLiving" project involving the existing permaculture 
gardens and a residential property which backs on to the gardens, both 
of which are owned by the University. The gardens are open to all and 
there are almost always people around there on the weekends - drop by 
and you will be made welcome! Address is rear of No 14 Arthur St, 
Randwick (sign at the gate will point you in the right direction).

Cheers, Paul Osmond

>From: Louise Crabtree <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: "permaculture" <[email-masked]>
>To: "permaculture" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: [permaculture] urban permaculture in Australia
>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:48:18 +1100 (EST)
>
>Dear all
>
>You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
>To unsubscribe send a blank email to 
[email-masked]

Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---