Subject: Re: hedgerow plants

From: Scott Pittman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 22:13:02 -0700 (PDT)

At 08:52 AM 5/28/98 +0000, Miekal And wrote:
>scott 
>
>you list sea buckthorn as very hardy, but will it make it in zone 4
>wisconsin, -30 degrees.  my understanding is that its a definite zone 5
>& marginal up here.
>
>miekal
>
Hi Miekal,

My name is Arina, I'm originally from Belarus, 53' latitude. Our winters are
very cold (-35F) and long - mid October to late March. Seabuckthorn trees
are doing very well without any care, and I heard also that it happily grows
in Canada, Finland, and certainly - in Siberia.....

A
Scott & Arina Pittman

Permaculture Institute
PO Box 3702, Pojoaque, NM 87501  US
*********
Ingenio Patet Campus

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 09:50:28 +0000

arina:

perhaps you could answer 2 other questions in reference to sea
buckthorn.  I just read that in order to get good fruit production you
need to have 1 male for every 6 females.  Ive never seen trees offered
that were sexed.  Also I am growing some from seed, they have just put
out their first real leaves, what is the best way to get them thru the
first winter, they seem to be going very slowly & if I plant them out,
they could get beat back by the winter.

miekal

_____________________________________
Dreamtime Village
http://www.net22.com/dreamtime/index.shtml

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 09:50:28 +0000

arina:

miekal