Subject: Ozark Challenges & Naturalized Pools

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

The discussion group has been a great resource.  I appreciate you folks.
 Here's an update:  

Bermuda grass (wiregrass): I scavenged cardboard boxes from an appliance
dealer and used them as the first layer of a sheet mulch.  I followed the
cardboard with about a foot of leaves, then wood chips.  Next will come
manure and perhaps more leaves and chips. Around the garden area, my plan is
mulch the bermuda out of existance (or use the hot water technique) and
introduce another species (what I'm not sure) to crowd out future attempts by
the bermuda to reestablish itself.

Swimmng Pool: Yesterday I rented a small pump and tested an old well on my
property. It will produce, at the very minumum, 1500 gallons a day (and
perhaps much more).  I am thinking about pumping well water into the bottom
of the pool, then using water from the surface of the pool to irrigate my
garden.  By creating a simulation of the spring-fed pond or pool, I may not
need chemicals. The pool holds 20,000 gallons. I don't know how quickly the
water needs to turn over to make this work.  Maybe a combination of fresh
water flow and plants and fish will do the trick.  

If you have more ideas, I welcome them.  I'll keep you posted, Rebecca Bryant