Subject: Re: Sustainability: Aa brief definition by John Ikerd

From: lbarnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:31:56 -0500

I have a pet peeve about sustainability definitions which mention
"meeting the needs of the present" when we are already overconsuming the
carrying capacity of the planet now! I suggest folks become more
educated about each of our "ecological footprints" and the complete and
combined effects of our exorbinate life-styles.- Reply publically or
privately to me,  Lee Barnes

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: eric + michiko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:45:12 -0700

Larry posted:
>Sustainability ultimately is about intergenerational equity - to meet the
>needs of the present while leaving equal or better opportunities for the
>future. - John Ikerd

Lee wrote:
> carrying capacity of the planet now!

I saw the definition as being too human centered, meeting _our_ needs and
not worrying about / mentioning the rest of the planet.  Taking Larry's
later post into account, I still think the a _definition_ should not leave
out such important aspects as Lee and I have brought up.

Eric Storm

---

---

From: eric + michiko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 07:49:03 -0700

Prompted by the recent definition of sustainable, I decided to give it a
try.  With this definition it is obvious that the goal is not sustainable,
but invigoration.  Let me know what you think.  

Sustainable is one side of a continuum, unsustainable the other.  They are
divided by a point in the middle.  At the extremes are devastation and
invigoration.  Sustainable means that the system in question will continue
to function at a level of vitality relative to the degree of benefit or
destruction and disruption caused by one's actions.  Unsustainable means
that the destruction and disruption of one's actions will not allow the
system to continue; the system will progressively degrade, at a speed
relative to the level of destruction and disruption of one's actions, and
at some time cease to function.

I hope this leaves you invigorated ; )

Eric Storm

---

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:04:05 -0400 (EDT)

> I hope this leaves you invigorated ; )

It did. Very nicely done.

---