Subject: Re: rabbit manure

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 02:51:08 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Paul K, I have many rabbits visit my garden when it's quiet (the peas
are fenced...that's all they seem to bother to any extent) and hundreds of
birds are in and out (I have lots of things that they perch on...poles, pea
brush etc and lots of things that are going to seed that they like to eat,)
pooping each time they take off. The garden had not suffered at all, and
probably has benefited.

Sue Casson

---

From: [email-masked] (Simon Henderson)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:54:05 -0600

>In a reading last night I saw that rabbit ddroppings wre pretty much good
>to go as far as an additive goes. Is it really ok to add the rabbit drops
>directly to the garden or should I have it spend some time in the compost
>pile first. We have only 1 pet rabbit right now but I might as well do
>something with his extra's. I know that worms love the stuff.
>
>Any opinions here ?
>How should I deal with the rabbit manure ?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Paul K
>[email-masked]

Paul,

As a former owner of commercial rabbitry (many years ago), I assure you
that rabbit manure is a GOOD thing. It's not hot. That's why the worms can
thrive in it. Many commercial vermiculture enterprises are a "byproduct" of
a rabbitry.

You can sidedress your garden plants with rabbit poo. It doesn't smell, and
it's conveniently pelletized so that you can apply it directly without
having to compost it.

In my long association with domestic livestock, rabbits and llamas, have
unique manures which are easy to collect and are not hot. So go for it!

Poo Rules!

Simon Henderson
Bamboo People
322 N. 82nd St.
Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 784-3069
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:25:34 +1000

I saw a great idea of a permaculture designer in Canberra but sorry I don't
remember where
I read it and can't remember his name (someone else on this list may)

He had the pet rabbit living directly above the worms,  he fed the rabbit
his kitchen scraps
(beware no potatoe as this can kill guinea pigs and so it may harm fluffy
too)  and the rabbits
dropping fed straight to the worms, then he used the worm castings diluted
straight on the garden.

Better still, in summer my girlfriend uses the rabbit in situ,  to eat the
small lawn and slow the lawns growth (the lawn
does die off with too much rabbit business) it has a small portable hutch,
she never has to mow.  By the time
this manure leaches to surrounding gardens (permaculture puts in filter
beds to trap water and deal with waste, of course) it would be fine.
Regards,
April Sampson-Kelly  [email-masked]
www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
My space can make this world a better place

----------
> From: prkosuth <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: rabbit manure
> Date: Saturday, October 18, 1997 2:00 PM
> 
>