Subject: comfrey tendencies

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 19:22:24 +0100

For anyone in the know,

I'm wondering about the extent of the invasive tendencies with comfrey
in a zone 2-3 situation. I'd like to use it as living and cut mulch and
have heard mention of people interspersing it all over in close to the
dwelling forest gardens. am confident about safe use of it as a lower
story in orchards. but i'd like to try it closer in, among our expanse
of beds (annuals and perrenials) that were planted in a field of quack
grass - to define the beds and pathways,  and to start filling in
against the quack and thistles.
Anyone with helpful speculation about comfrey as a mulch plant or border
definer in a water abundant zone 4 situation please respond.

cheers

hether
-- 
@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#
Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime
QAZINGULAZA: And/Was/Wakest website:
http://net22.com/qazingulaza
e-mail for DT & And/Was: [email-masked]

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:15:16 +0100

thanks to you all that have had suggestions about comfrey

a point of clarification - i'm in Wisonsin szone 4 (first snowshower of
the season last night!)  and the site zone i'm putting the comfrey in is
either 2 or 3. We've just planted a bunch in our nut orchard which right
now is a field of grasses with the trees poking out above. Did a range
with proximity to the trees, some close in (2-3 ft)on the edge of the
surrounding mulch, then the rst further away as landfmark or space
fillers. We just heeled em in - ave. 3in root portions from a vibrant 5
yr old patch. see if they make it up thru the sod come spring.     
-hether-
@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#
Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime
QAZINGULAZA: And/Was/Wakest website:
http://net22.com/qazingulaza
e-mail for DT & And/Was: [email-masked]

---

From: Keith Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:56:02 -0700

Miekal And wrote:
> surrounding mulch, then the rest further away as landmark or space

Hether, 
"If they make it up"???? I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they can
thrive from Michigan to Maine (even Siberia I've heard)they'll come thru
for you. The better time of the year to propagate is early spring just
before they emerge. I've had outstanding success with propagules only 1
inch long (1/4in. diam. min.) laid on edge in flats. It doesn't take
much. Although it's said that they produce seed very seldom, mine did
once in Detroit and the flowers were a deep pink. I wish I had some
seeds from it. 

-- 
Keith 	
[email-masked]

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 01:25:58 -0400 (EDT)

> once in Detroit and the flowers were a deep pink. I wish I had some

Down here in NC comfrey flowers readily and sets a goodly amont of seed
which sprouts and takes root easily. It needs rich friable soil to do
this.

---

From: Miekal And <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:15:16 +0100

---

From: Keith Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:56:02 -0700

Hether, 

-- 
Keith 	
[email-masked]

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 01:25:58 -0400 (EDT)