Subject: Berkley Schools Go Organic (has anyone else seen this?)

From: "matthew sullivan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:48:31

I saw this article on a wire a couple of weeks ago now - seems to me like a 
great idea for *so* many reasons! if anyone out there has stories similar 
to this one, i'd be very interested to hear of them:

BERKELEY SCHOOLS GO ORGANIC
8/19/99 14:0

   San Francisco (dpa) - Long renowned for its role as a pioneer of
the hippie movement in the 60's, the city of Berkeley is now forging
another revolution in the liberal lifestyle.
   According to city officials Thursday, the school board has
unanimously approved a measure to make the city's schools the first in
America, and probably the world, to give its children organic lunches.
   However, traditional fare such as hamburgers and hot dogs will
still be served.
   The university city across the bay from San Francisco hopes to
defray the high cost of the chemical-free food by mandating that every
school develop its own garden for raising organic produce.
   This would be supplemented by food from local organic farms.
   Earlier this month state officials said that the pruneburger, a
hamburger primed with prune-juice to make it leaner moister and
healthier was proving a hit in the state's school dining halls. dpa ag
ma

-0- Aug/19/1999   13:45
EOS   (DPA)    Aug/19/1999    13:45      197

-0- (DPA) Aug/19/1999   14:00
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]