Subject: Weekend Wildcrafting Seminar

From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:31:33 -0700

FOR IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE & PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

				     Permaculture West presents:
			              WILDCRAFTING NATIVE HERBS

	                    	  	             May 16th & 17th 
				            Wild Thyme Farm
					   Oakville, WA

			   Presented by: Michael Pilarski & Jonathan Dubey

	The sustainable harvesting of native northwest plants as well as
non-natives which have naturalized (gone wild) will be the focus of this
worksop.  You will become better acquainted with local plants historically
used as medicines.  Commercial wildcrafting for income and how to harvest
sustainably is an important facet of this workshop.
	Topics will include: plant identification, uses of herbs, collecting tools
& techniques, processing, drying, ethnobotany, making tinctures & oil
infusions, marketing, and much more.
	Michael Pilarski founded Friend's of the Trees Society in 1978 and is the
editor of "Restoration Forestry: An International Guide to Sustainable
Forestry Practices".  He wildcrafts medicinal herbs commercially.
	Jonathan Dubey is the owner/manager of Olympia-based Live Gaia Herbs which
manufactures herbal tinctures, glycerites, oils, salves, and vinegars. 
Dubey's experience is in botany, the preparation of herbal medicine and
small business management.
	Food: the whole weekend is potluck.  We will have a kitchen set up and
everyone is asked to bring bulk food and produce.  If you don't wish to be
a part of the potluck you are welcome to bring your own individual food.
	Field trips:  we will be out in the fields and forests of a 140 acre farm
identifying, digging and collecting herbs.  Bring workclothes, rain-gear,
rubber boots, gloves, and your favorite collecting tools.

	Wild Thyme Farm is a privately owned arboretum and natural resources
research facility located just 35 minutes south of Olympia, WA.  Employing
permaculture strategies of integrated design, WTF is being transformed from
a dairy farm to a model of sustainable rural design.  Permaculture West and
WTF have been working together to implement agroforestry techniques, fruit
& nut orchards, edible landscapes, bamboo varietal trials & much more.
	Accommodations:  The farm hosts abundant camping spaces and limited
cottage accommodations.  Heated bunkhouse accommodations with beds
(includes sheets and blankets) are available for $15/night.  There is a
sauna and hot tub so bring a towel!

Workshop fee*: $110 (single day: Saturday $60.  Sunday $50)
-includes: camping, educational materials, and access to full kitchen
utilities
Time: 10-5 Saturday. 9-4 Sunday.
To register: send a $15 deposit to Permaculture West at the address below.
*inquire about our student and local area resident discount.
For a flier of the workshop contact Permaculture West as below.

EVENING PRESENTATION:
May 15th in Olympia, Michael Pilarski & Jonathan Dubey will speak on
northwest medicinal plants and sustainable harvesting.
Time: 7:00 - 9:00 pm, reception 6:30
Cost: $5 donation
Location: 2715 Dayton Ave. (on the east side of Olympia, south of the
Boulevard St. overpass).  
Phone: 352-6358  

For more info., a flyer of the workshop, or to register, contact:
Kirk Hanson
C/O Permaculture West
72 Mattson Rd.
Oakville, WA 98568
ph./fx. (360) 273-7117
e-mail: [email-masked]