Subject: 2 more sense

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 06:43:38 -0700 (PDT)

I have wondered  when I see the rude responses that certain of the
permaculture mailing list members send, if they are as pompous and
condescending in person... If so, isn't it a wonder to think that anyone
would submit themselves to that behavior in an apprentice or student
capacity no matter how learned the head of the project was? 

When anger motivates action from the place within that is disturbed
imbalance, it often creates hurt and abuse when it is externalized.  If
anger is a motivator towards action when it comes from the place of
observing what may be rightful cause for indignation, great good can come
from this.  It seems it is an issue of the ego, when one feels personally
angry versus when one feels a sense of injustice and a desire to contribute
to supporting improvement.  The difference is discernible though the
boundary is seldom clear-cut. Anger is anger and in most cases (all?) if we
examine it a little closer, I think what is found underneath the veneer of
anger is a deep sadness that is very difficult to let oneself feel.  

I offer support and respect to those individuals who are courageous and wise
enough to see, whether the arena is permaculture or any other place, that it
is the caring and kindness towards others/oneself  that will make the
difference.  Much is accomplished by cooperation and the *choice*  towards
harmony.  When we live in true self-respect and respect of the Earth, how
could we be less than respectful to others? I just heard about a
school/farm/CSA that is losing some of the best students and apprentices
they have for the lack of ability of the staff to help see them through some
difficult interpersonal interactions. When are we going to stop separating
technology and 'business' from interpersonal relationships?  How in the
world CAN we ever create families, communities and educational, humanistic,
and paradigm shifting 'guilds' of  thought with others if we can not respect
ourselves and each other enough to get along? If we can't get along we are
not creating a very sustainable future, wouldn't you say?  Look
around...What's it going to take?

At 07:49 AM 10/7/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>In a message dated 10/6/97 12:10:53 PM, you wrote:
>
>>Wow Dan, you're really opening up a can of worms here.  Seems like you're
>>out to prove that Mollison doesn't know anything about permaculture.  I've
>>been told that one can overcome this condition with psychotherapy :)
>
>
>Now that is a perfectly idiotic thing to put in a public post and I will not
>dignify it with a public answer.  If you want a permaculture for a religion,
>with Mollison as infallable godhead, fine.  I have a more critical eye.  Bill
>makes mistakes too, and guild is one of them.  Another is his renunciation of
>the bioregional movement which is about like guilds as turnips resemble a
>writ of habeas corpus.  
>
>For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
>1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
>consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
>courses via email.  Next starts in Oct. 1997. Internships available.
>Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
> [email-masked]  
>
>We don't have time to rush.
>
>