Subject: Anyone here?

From: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:33:29 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence
list owner

http://metalab.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (michael kent barnett)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 01:54:33 +0100

This was posted to an aquaponic newsgroup...
Is there anyone on the permaculture group who has any info on this
venture Im trying?
Im not worrying about the BODs and CODs, but more so the Coliform
levels.. anyone can give pointers as to what to expect?

Thanks.. Mike

Has anyone of you ever measured actual colifom levels across your
growbeds? (for targeted reduction?) Well I have an oppurtunity to use
growbed to clean up some clear sewage water with a high coliform level.

The system would be solely for biological breakdown purposes, NOT for
HUMAN consumption, lest another flurry erupt... ;)
This would be a great break through for aquaponics here, as well as for
our envinmental sector... first of its kind!!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated..
http://stensund.nu/aqua/     Check it out!!

From:  "MikeB." <[email-masked]>

To:     http://stensund.nu/aqua/     Check it out!!

Hello Guys...

Fist of all, this is one FANTASTIC site you have!!! Thanks for sharing
so in depth.
A friend and I would like to build something similar to take care
biologically of our pretreated sewage waste..

We both had a look at the Living Machines site, and are now wondering
whether we will be able to bring the level of coliform down as low as
possible without the use of UV, as required by the local authorities. 
We are in Jamaica!!
We have waste from 20 people and our system deals with 300 gals a day.
We would like to bring the coliform levels down from near 2000 units to
about <= 100 !! Is this possible, using plants and aquatic animals
alone, and which plants would you recommend, what do you think??

Below is a mail he sent me today... Thanks Mike.

Hey Mike,
 
I took a look at the living machine and I see a few points we should
look at. Firstly, I noticed that when used at sewage generating
facilities, the
final discharge from the living machine is usually disinfected via
chlorine/UV.
 
I was hoping to eliminate the use of such disaffection via the plants as
you mentioned, however now I wonder if the treatment level given by
the plants is actually sufficient to bring within regulatory standards
of < 100MPN/100ml.
 
Yada yada...
Any directions?

Thanks...Mike