Subject: LADYBUG, QUICKLY FLY AWAY HOME!; Added Info (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:07:42 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:07:36 AST
From: "Daniel D. Worley" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: LADYBUG, QUICKLY FLY AWAY HOME!; Added Info

  The following addendum to the subject article was received from Dr.
Gilbert and is being passed on for reference purposes.

		====================

Further to "Ladybug, quickly fly away home!" by Claire Gilbert,
Ph.D.

     I received a flood of inquiries as a result of my article,
"Ladybug, quickly fly away home!"  The following is a basic
reference.  The article in the London Times was was based upon the
research of Birch, et al.

     A.N.E. Birch, I.E. Geoghegan, M.E.N. Majerus, C. Hackette, &
J. Allen, "Interactions between plant resistance genes, pest aphid
populations and beneficial aphid predators," Scottish Crop Research
Institute (SCRI) Annual Report 1996-1997, esp. pp 70-72.

     SCRI is located at Invergowrie, Dundee DD2 5DA.

Telephone:  National (01382) 572731
            International +44 1382 562731

Fax:  National (01382) 562426
      International +44 1382 562426

The potatoes were transgenic, using an anti-insect gene encoding
for the snowdrop lectin (Galanthus nivalis agglutinin - GNA).  

A numer of ecological "fitness indicators" were used to monitor the
ladybirds fed on aphids from control or GNA potatoes.  

Blazing Tattles.  Indonesian & Brazilian fire updates @
<http://www.concentric.net/~Blazingt>.  Limited time sample:  Send
#10 envelope w/32 cent stamp on it; non-U.S. get postal coupon; to
P.O. Box 1073, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019, USA.  Phone: (650) 712-0772

		====================

--Dan in Sunny Puerto Rico--
[email-masked]  or
[email-masked]

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with "unsubscribe sanet-mg".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".