Subject: Request for Info re: sustainable, self-sufficient small farms (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 17:16:51 -0400 (EDT)

http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london   InterGarden   
[email-masked]   [email-masked]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 15:12:38 +1200
From: Kylie Sanderson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Request for Info re: sustainable, self-sufficient small farms

Hello. I am a university student from Auckland New Zealand. I am gathering
information for a research assignment into a design for the establishment
of a self-sufficient small farm based on permaculture and sustainability
principles. I am hoping one day to put this design into practice, living
and working on it. I hope that it will serve as an example of sustainable
agriculture in my country, since we currently have very few. I stumbled on
to your website listing for the results of some research you have done on
small farms. I would be most grateful if you could send me any
information/diagrams/designs/etc that would be helpful to me in my own
research or if you could refer me to someone who may be able to help.
Thank you for your help, it is much needed and much appreciated.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jason Hatfield)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 00:38:33 -0500

hiya kylie,
there's a great book called "Rebirthing the Small Farm," written by (I
think) Greg Beatson or Bayson or Bateson and his wife, published by IMF
Associates in Washington state, USA. They apparently bought a small farm
for $10,000 US and have established a self-sufficient, sustainable food
production system there in the last ten years or so. I haven't read the
book but I have ordered it and could send it to you when I get it and order
another one, or give you the publisher's address. I'm also interested in
permaculture design and would like one day to have a demonstration farm and
teaching facility and ecovillage. I'm also interested in WWOOFing in New
Zealand and Australia and elsewhere. Do you know anything about WWOOFing
down there, or anything about Americans working in your country or
Australia? I'm very keen on getting down there late this year. Good luck
with your research and I hope to hear more about what you find out.
Cheers,
Jason Hatfield
School for International Training
Box B46
Brattleboro, VT 05302
(802)258-3387
[email-masked]

ps i also love new zealand music like the chills and the verlaines and look
blue go purple and i play music and sing and write songs myself. i would
love to play some gigs down there if that's possible. how do people go
about getting gigs there if they're from a different country?

---

From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:20:36 -0700

Kylie wrote> 
> Thank you for your help, it is much needed and much appreciated. 

You haven't mentioned any NZ permaculture contacts.  I would recommend
Joe Polaisher, 588 Matakana Valley Rd, RD5, Warkworth ph 9 422 7432 / 7708
fx

Further north try Jo Maniapoto, PO Box 4204, Wanganui, 6 345 4993 / 6142 fx
or Hans Holtman, RD 1, Onerahi, Northland 9 436 0088

There are probably many others but these people I have met personally.
Cheers Rene

---

From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:00:47 -0700

Jason 
wrote

 I'm also interested in WWOOFing in New
> Australia? I'm very keen on getting down there late this year. 
> Jason Hatfield

WWOOF Australia is based at  Lionel Pollard, Mt Murrindal Co-op, Buchan,
Vic 3885
ph  61 3 5155 0218
[email-masked]

Costs US $30... probably easiest done in advance.

Don't tell customs you're WWOOFing... it's one of those borderline things
that is frowned upon.  Some will tell you that it's not possible, but
you're not going to get deported!!
Will you be coming to Cairns.. as we are a WWOOF farm?

Cheers Rene and Lorraine

---

From: FionaNyx <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 00:29:21 EDT

what's WWOOF?

---

From: "Hans Erken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:12:16 +1000

"Willing workers on organic farms"

====================================================
Hans Erken - Earthcare Enterprises - Farm & Nursery
               [email-masked]
Bamboos, Aquatic Food Plants, Tropical Root Crops
   Spices and Medicinals of the Ginger Family
      http://www.boofarm.com/earthcar.htm
====================================================

---

From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:01:51 +0100

Used to be "Working Weekends on Organic Farms" at some stage. There must
have been some problems with weekends or with willingness...

----------
: From: Hans Erken <[email-masked]>
: To: [email-masked]
: Subject: Re: Request for Info re: sustainable, self-sufficient small
farms (fwd)
: Date: 14 April 1998 22:12
: 
: "Willing workers on organic farms"
: 
: ====================================================
: Hans Erken - Earthcare Enterprises - Farm & Nursery
:                [email-masked]
: Bamboos, Aquatic Food Plants, Tropical Root Crops
:    Spices and Medicinals of the Ginger Family
:       http://www.boofarm.com/earthcar.htm
: ====================================================
: 
: 
: 
: >what's WWOOF?
: >