Subject: Re: Let's continue a global directory on-line...

From: Scott Pittman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:39:17 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:28 AM 7/29/99 EDT, [email-masked] wrote:
>
>In a message dated 7/28/99 7:17:23 AM, [email-masked] writes:
>
><<It is a little difference if you hust put out a catalog of ressources
>or addresses, which you get form the whole world - and the only thing
>you do is make the layout and sort alphabetically - or if you really
>invent something new - and you feel you want to get something for it.
>>>
>
>Frankly, either you don't know what you are talking about or you are trying 
>to be argumentitive instead of reaching some sort of understanding.   
>
I have to go along with Dan on this one.  I have personally been involved
with many of the founders, editors, writers, and volunteers of IPJ and found
all of them to be extremely devoted to producing a good magazine in an
ethical manner. The have operated as a co-op and for most of the years of
their existence it has been hand to mouth. I find it extremely distastful
that they have not been consulted or invited into this brouhaha. 

Lots of luck in trying to do it on your own, as far as I know only the IPJ
and the International Permaculture Institute have maintained and encouraged
continuing international contacts and without those you would have a very
pallid list indeed.  Most of those contacts aren't on email so the task
becomes even more Hurculean when one is forced to deal with snail mail in
areas like Mali.

I think that this, as in so many cases, is a variation on the tale of Henny
Penny.

We are talking about bother and sister in the struggle for a liveable and
just planet here, they are us!

Scott Pittman

Permaculture Institute, USA
PO Box 3702, Pojoaque, NM 87501  US
phone 505.455.0270

*********
Ingenio Patet Campus

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:26:01 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. -+|+- Venaura Farm
[email-masked]   [email-masked]
http://metalab.unc.edu/london, /permaculture, /ecolandtech
EcoLandTech -+|+- InterGarden -+|+- Permaculture

> that they have not been consulted or invited into this brouhaha. 

I am sure they know this list exists. They are free to join in. Its not
like a lot of people haven't been trying to get in touch with them
recently to no avail: no telephone, email or website contact. 
Those of us volunteering to do an online directory are doing so for free
also.

> becomes even more Hurculean when one is forced to deal with snail mail in

We may not now or ever equal the effort they've put forth with their
directory but can make a substantial contribution. There's a win-win
situation here. They will have access to our directory to do with it as
they wish and claim it as their own. If they are unwilling to make
available resources for people to use online to update the directory
then we can do this foor them, for free. The Permaculture Institute will
benefit by seeing what is doing what in the name of Permaculture; will be
able to see who is claiming accreditation and who may be violating
copyright. It should help facilitate communication between people
and organizations involved in Permaculture.
 
> just planet here, they are us!

This is certainly true as it is also true that many of us who don't
practice permaculture part or full time for financial return need to
make a living somehow. Free resources on the Web help a lot. I doubt
any PC professional should have the slightest worry about anyone offering 
permaculture resources for free online. It should be good for business
than detract.

---