Subject: Re: Patterns

From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:16:33 -0800

Russ Grayson wrote> Maybe it's nothing more than these grumpy old men see
crystal clear the
> common sence of their argument and wonder how long they've got to repeat
> themselves until it clarifies in the brains of the public.
> 
> Looking forward toi your ideas on this subject.

Thanks for the personal tidbits.  And thanks David for your short but to
the point comment.

Mmmmmmmmmm, yes I think I've got some more insight into the grumpy old man
syndrome just recently.

I guess it's a little like April's frustration, but last week I went and
canoed down our local river (something very few people ever do)... the
journey goes through an Environmental Park and lots of private farmland and
residential areas.   What a disappointment!!  Only one small section was in
anything like good condition (even that had some litter and weeds), but
most was in appalling condition  when viewed from the water (even when it
looked ok from the land).  I was very disheartened to see what had been
done to the landscape (and that putting  trees back wasn't nearly the same
as the old growth - it is going to take many many years to return to a
semblance of the original condition).  Most people don't know how bad
things are, but what's worse is that they don't want to know, and even if
they did know wouldn't think of changing their behaviour.  

Then a ride down the mountain road, looking at the piles of litter (most
will end up in the reef!!!).  It's pretty depressing to think that most
people don't care enough even not to throw their rubbish out the window. 
So I can understand that anger ... an anger that all my effort might be for
nothing, because most people don't care and don't want to care!!!!

Usually I'm full of empathy for people, but sometimes at a loss to
understand how my neighbours and friends can be so stupid and selfish.  
Maybe a mixture of love and anger is going to work.  I'm certainly going to
keep making waves.   "Anger is an energy", one I've always been wary
of...now 
you've got me thinking... is there a place in my public life to show my
anger?
Small cautious trials!!!

Thanks for the thought provoking feedback.
Bye Rene