Subject: Herbalist Jim Duke's "Green Farmacy" MARK YOUR CALENDARS!! (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 23:47:03 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 11:09:16 -0500
From: BIODYNAMIC MAIL LIST <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Herbalist Jim Duke's "Green Farmacy" MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!

Please X-Post

Dear Sustainable Ag Enthusiast,

Jim Duke (AKA James A. Duke), who is billed by Rodale Press as "The World's
Greatest Herbalist" (and the normally tight-lipped Mark Blumenthal of
HerbalGram has recently concurred with this remarkable description), will
return to his roots, as it were, this fall at the Mid-Atlantic Biodynamic
Farming and Gardening Conference (October 2-4, 1998).

On Friday, October 2, Mr. Duke will provide two workshops revolving around
natural agriculture (or "Green Farmacy" in juxtaposition to his best
selling "Green Pharmacy" ) and traditional nutrition. After supper that
evening, he will present a keynote address on 'traditional nutrition.' All
contacts with Mr. Duke will be rich in nutritional and horticultural
information and traditional herbal/plant lore. (If you look at the
bibliography of any worthwhile herb books written in the past 25-years, you
may be astonished to see how prolific and influential Mr. Duke has been.)

After his evening address, Jim (who has the recording "Herbalbum" to his
credit) will haul out his aging bass fiddle and be lead thumper in an
unrehearsed blue grass volunteer jam. Volunteers already committed: Popular
Acres USA speaker Jerry Brunneti of Agri-Dynamics will be playing a
jazz-tinged bluegrass accordian(!), and Jim Foltz of Peace in the Valley
herbs will be there with his Jerry-tinged acoustic guitar and panpipes. All
attendees of the conference are welcome to take part in the jam. If you
want to play on Oct 2, let me know as soon as possible so we can start
working on the stage.

Other workshop leaders at this annual event will include Hugh Courtney of
The Josephine Porter Institute of Applied Biodynamics ("The BD Preps"),
Hugh Lovel, author of "A Biodynamic Farm" and director of Union
Agricultural Institute ("Forces" in Agriculture), Anthroposophic Physician
Dr Peter Hinderberger (Rudolf Steiner on Nutrition), Price-Pottenger
Newsletter Editor and author ("Nourishing Traditions") Sally Fallon,
Reichian investigator and author ("The Orgone Accumulator Handbook") Dr.
James DeMeo ("Wilhelm Reich and the Discovery of the Life Force");
Permaculture Institute USA's Scott Pittman; nutritionist and soil scientist
Jerry Brunneti of Agri-Dynamics ("Increasing Nutritional Density of Herbs
and Crops through heirlooms and soil science") and last, but most
definitely not least, author ("Pastured Poultry Profits") and grassroots
marketing guru, Joel Salatin ("Making Farming Work for You")

This year gourmet-quality biodynamic/organic meals will be prepared by
Chef's Collaborative 2000, arranged by Leslie McEachern of New York's
"Angelica Kitchen."(A plan is in place to incorporate produce and product
donations from attendee's farms and gardens into every meal: if you will be
interested in donating biodynamic or organic foodstuffs to the conference
tables, please contact the coordinator, information below.)

The conference is held on a historic 400 acre organic estate in the
beautiful Shenandoah Valley outside of Charles Town, WV, near I-81, not far
from I-70. Reasonably priced lodging is available on a first come/first
served basis. Camping with showers is available. Trade Show tables are
available for a very reasonable fee.

Contact Allan Balliett (304) 876-237 FAX (304) 876-9414 email: [email-masked]
for more information. Watch http://www.biodynamics.com for detailed
information and maps, etc as October draws nearer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Reminder: JOHN JEAVONS will speak on "Building a Better Sense of Humus"
in Shepherdstown at 8:15 March 18. Admission is free. Reservations are
encouraged. Contact Allan Balliett for information and reservations.

*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/

Opinions expressed through this list, whether by the moderator or by list
members,  are simply the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of BIODYNAMICS journal or of the BD Association of
America.

Check out the Biodynamic Association WEB PAGE for BIODYNAMIC resources:
      http://www.biodynamics.com

This list is archived at:
      http://csf.colorado.edu/biodynamics/

Thank you, Allan Balliett, Moderator, BD-L. [email-masked]

*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/

For More Information about BIODYNAMICS and a BD Resource Guide, contact:

The Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Association
   POB 550, Kimberton, PA 19442
   (610) 935-7797 * FAX (610) 983-3196
   TOLL FREE Order Line: 1-800-516-7797