Subject: Information in Spanish

From: Skye <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:23:52 -0600

Can anyone help me with information or lists of books and publications
that are available in SPANISH.

I have been teaching Permaculture in Mexico over the past three years,
and am constantly frustrated by the language barrier. The worst
frustration is the slowness at which I am learning to become fluent in
spanish. That is a personal issue, and I am working on it.

The other frustration is the obscene lack of useful Permaculture
information in the Spanish Language.

I have been able to find some useful publications on ecology,
engineering, botany etc. Some local NGOs have produced great
publications on specific issues such as soil erosion, river
rehabilitation, recycling, dry composting toilets etc. All good
technology stuff - but on Permaculture  casi nada.

I had a book, produced in Brazil (I think), but it disappeared with my
ex-girlfriend.

There is an excellent publication called Agricultura Sostenible by
Alejandra Caballero. Produced in Mexico, it is well presented and
totally relevant to Mexico. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

There is the spanish translation of the Australian Introduction to
Permaculture. Unfortunately the australian species listed are largely
inappropriate or simply unavailable.  And I am constantly told by native
spanish speakers that the translation is terrible, very poor or
unintelligible. (One women described  book as an insult to the Latino
culture). My spanish is so poor I cannot comment on these comments, but
as I have hear at least twenty such complaints, I have to assume their
is something in them. At the request of some of these students, I did
pass this sentiment on to the Aust Institute, along with offers to
correct the language for the next reprint. I have never received a
response.

 It is being more and more obvious to me that if someone wants to really
get into studying Permaculture, they have to read english.  With english
you can tap into great sources of information like this newsgroup, and
participate in some fine intellectual debate. Without english you may
not even be able to find a single intelligible booklet. At best this is
very sad, at worst just another example of the continuing colonial
imperialism imposed on all non-english peoples.

In the case of spanish, I intend to try to at least fill a little of the
information void - and would welcome anyones help.

Thank You

Skye