Subject: Sweet-Corn - open-pollinated

From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 15:31:45 -0000

Hello there!

I was wondering whether any of you would know a source for open-pollinated
sweet-corn. To my astonishment the Chase organics catalogue ("The Organic
Gardening Catalogue")*** from which I always order my veg seed sells
exclusively F1 hybrids for sweetcorn this year.

I am trying to find a fast ripening variety (for good soil, not much
sunshine, west of Ireland) that I can hopefully further adapt to the
situation here over the years. There is no fear of cross-pollination as
nobody else here is growing corn.

Any leads, hints or indeed seeds (only need about 20)  would be much
appreciated, the latter of course re-imbursed.

Cheers,
UteB

*** ps: Another thing that worried me is that the catalogue contains a
growing number of organically grown veg. varieties (good!) with little
'registered trademark' signs behind the names (worrying!). Does that mean
it is going to be illegal to save seed of the these varieties?
If so that surely is the antithesis of what organic agriculture is about!