Subject: Re: hay for algal control

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 1988 11:15:49 WST

>From: Jack Rowe <[email-masked]>
>Subject: hay for algal control
>
>Jack Rowe here... I remember a reference to using hay or straw as an alga=
>l
>control in ponds, but can't remember anything else about it. Do you know
>about this -- where it comes from, what kind of hay or straw, amounts, et=
>c?
>
>Thanks, =
>
>
>Jack

Jack the straw was Barley. I don't remember what it specifically 
controlled. It was used in conjunction with Marron in a pond which had
high levels of phosphate. 
If you need more information than this I'll ring my friend in the country.

>Thanks, =
>Jack

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
[email-masked]                 1 Annato Street Greenwood 6024 
                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:---
              --:http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html:-
          -----: Men Of The Trees, Holistic Management :------
       ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling Landmark Education:------
                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----
                 http://www.eepo.com.au/~victor/
   http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
               Permaculture Convergence on line

---

From: Kalenn Amand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:33:53 +1000

I'm also interested in this as we've taken over a block where damns are
polluted with Ostrich poo

regards 

Kalenn

----------
> From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
> To: Permaculture WA <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: hay for algal control
> Date: Tuesday, 1 November 1988 21:15
>

---

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 1988 19:46:26 WST

>
>Vic,
>
>Thanks for the prompt reply... if it's little trouble, I'd love any info
>you can dig up. I've got a pond in New Mexico, US that is virtually choke=
>d
>with filamentous algae, the owners don't want to disturb the pond (it's
>already feeling quite peckish from all the above-stream nutrients reachin=
>g
>it -- hay fields and 100 or so llamas) but wouldn't mind a little hay or
>straw in the water.

This from my friend Albert West from Eneabba (north of Perth).
Take 3 synthetic bags (Super or 3 bushel wheat) and fill with barley straw.
Place on the pond and leave for three days may need 4 if the weather is
hot. The bags blow around on the pond and follow the algy. I have no idea
if is possible to leave the hay in the water, as albert removes it.
You could also try putting a square bale of barley on the edge of the pond.
Pull it out the same way as soon as the algy disappears.            
The ponds are aound 2,000 cubic metres. The bags were woven synthetic. Jute 
would be o.k.

>Thanks again, Jack

Regards,
          Vic