Subject: Re: Information on vegetation management, etc (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 07:49:49 WST

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this article interesting, as it was just after I had written up
some information about the mineral cycle and how the Alley farming worked
at Dowerin in WA. This story also brings me to remember the seminar I
attended on the work of Vicktor Schauberger and his study of the the effect
Shade had on the banks of streams and the recharge of groundwater.
Vic.
------------------------------------------------------------------
X-Comment:  Agricultural and Environmental Impact list

I thought I'd share this announcement from John Anderson at Hedgerow Farms
with a number of people who may find it interesting.  I apologize for the
long list of addresses, but you are such a diverse group I haven't made a
directory for you. This is info primarily for Californians, but there ought
to be comparable plants elsewhere. Earle

The Yolo County Resource Conservation District (Yolo RCD) and Hedgerow
Farms have been developing vegetation management practices for canal banks,
drainage channels, roadsides, riparian corridors, and levees.  We are using
native perennial plants which are now readily available in the commercial
seed and transplant industry.  As an example, the common practice on
irrigation canals is to keep them vegetation free with multiple herbicide
applications. We are using a complex of native perennial grasses on the
upslope dry banks and a complex of short statured native sedges and rushes
(Carex sp., Juncus sp. and Eleocharis sp.) at the water's edge.   The goal
is not only bank stabilization, but once these perennials are established,
they keep out unwanted weedy vegetation including cattails.  We are in the
process of evaluating a 2 mile section of the Winters Canal planted over
the past 2 years and funded with an EPA 319 grant.  

It is working better than imagined.  The wildlife benefits are spectacular.
We are also recognizing the value of certain local willow species,
especially the red willow, in stabilizing banks.  Nine year old tress
planted as far as 25 ft from the water's edge establish a thick mat of root
hairs along the sides of the canals below the water surface and without
question do a marvelous job at holding soil in place. They are also
probably playing a role picking up nutrient loads. Relative to management
of farm generated sediment, we are promoting the use of tailwater ponds and
have over 15 now in place in Yolo County.  

We have produced a series of technical guides that detail all of the
practices including planting strategies and plant lists.  They are now all
in one volume entitled "Bring Farm Edges Back to Life" and can be obtained
from the RCD for $10.  A web site will soon be up and running.  RCD Phone
is 916 662 2037 ext 202.

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:45:28 -0700

What are, tailwater ponds & how do do I establish one ???  Also when
will the above mentined Web Sight be ready ???

-"Tears are liquid prayers"  Barb

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:57:00 -0700

Is this just conformation ??? I did'nt receive any message with
this?????

---

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:19:10 WST

Tyre ponds are shallow ponds in your garden which are the size of a 
tyre about 18" or 500 centimetres deep, and they are lined with plastic 
sheet. They help create a more humid enviroment, and we also put small 
fish in them to live on the mosquito larvae. They can also have some herbs
which need extra water putting roots into them. We have water plants which
generate growth for humis and worms and also others which produce nitrogen.
Of course the primary importance is an enviroment for the support of frogs
which help control slugs, snail and insects.
 As tyres vary in size so your tyre pond can vary in size as well. 
To prepare the tyre cut one side out of it.( Steel tyres don't work.)
[_ ( a profile like this).

paving can sit here_______
the plastic is like this |__ <--- Tyre sits here. Water level about here
                            \                          also.
                             \ 
                              \__________
Plant Water chestnuts around on the wall of the tyre keep the water 2" deep
over bead of the tyre.

>-"Tears are liquid prayers"  Barb 

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
[email-masked]                 1 Annato Street Greenwood 6024 
                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:---
              --:http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html:-
          -----: Men Of The Trees, Holistic Management :------
       ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling Landmark Education:------
                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----
                 http://www.eepo.com.au/~victor/
   http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
               Permaculture Convergence on line

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:34:11 -0700

Thank you so much.