Subject: Listserv protocol: Attachments/personal replies (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:50:50 WST

Hi this is very good advise which I thought I would passs along to
help us all with our e-mail.
Vic
----------------------------------------------------------
       [email-masked]
From: Jeff Coriell <[email-masked]>

Howdy all,

Thought I'd point out a couple of things about sending attachments and
personal replies to the entire list of subscribers.  Hopefully this might
make our lists more effective and keep people that are concerned with
download time from unsubscribing.  This protocol is pretty standard for all
internet conference listservs.

Each subscriber to the list has various downloading capability primarily
because of hardware, but also because of their remote location.  As
mentioned before, we have numerous foreign subscribers that can not afford
to pay the exuberant prices for on-line time to download.  

For this reason, please do _not_ attach files or documents to your postings
to the lists.   It doesn't matter how small it is.  Different email
software, hardware, internet providers, etc.... are all variables that make
it very hard for some folks to download any attachment at all.   It could
jam up their email and be very costly and annoying.  If you have a text
attachment, simply cut and paste into the body of your email message.  If
you have a large or graphic file, please post info on what you have and
request that people contact you directly if they want it.  

The same goes for posting personal messages to the list.   Ask yourself if
you just need to reply to the individual who posted the message instead of
the entire list.   Ongoing conversation should always be posted to the
list, however, when someone posts that they are offering info or a product
to all interested parties, go ahead and reply to the person directly.     

Thanks,
Jeff

---

From: Jeff Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 06:07:15 -0700 (PDT)

unsubscribe jeff jacobsen [email-masked]