Subject: Call For Articles

From: MICHAEL LOCKMAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 10:53:10 -0800

Calling All Guilds:
The Sustainable Living News* Becomes Reader-Written! 

To paraphrase Rick Valley, We, all of us practitioners of permaculture,
natural building, and ecological design are way behind in reporting to
each other what we're doing, trying, and most importantly, learning. It
is time to share our fieldwork. 

So, to correspond to this need  the Sustainable Living News is becoming a
reader-written forum for sustainable designers, permaculture
practitioners, homeowners, , , and whoever to share their experiences
designing and implementing sustainable living systems. Which means that
we need you to write in and tell us about what you have done, or to
interview somebody else about his or her adventures in sustainability. If
we print your article you will receive either 4 copies of the issue you
were published in or 1 copy and a one-year subscription. 

To keep it simple, we have come up with four general areas that we invite
you to share your experiences or interview people in:

1. Planting and Observing Guilds: 
What have you planted? What worked? Failed? What guilds have you seen
evolve?  Have you planted orchard systems; native systems; or...? Include
a drawing and/or a photograph. We want to hear and see about your
adventures with beneficial associations of plants, animals and fungi and
how this system eventually evolved (or not) into an entire ecosystem that
provides you and your family with food, fiber, housing, or enjoyment.
Please include what USDA Hardiness Zone you are in and whenever possible
include both the common and Latin plant names.  Companion planting
welcome!

2. Building with Natural or Alternative Materials: 
What materials did you use for the foundation, walls, and roof?  Would
you use them again? Show us your design with pictures of the finished
building (s). We also want to hear about benches, walls, gazebos, saunas
etc. made from natural materials.  We are especially interested in
owner-built, community-built and innovative buildings.

3. Designing and Implementing Ecological Design & Permaculture Systems: 
We want to hear about your food forest, agroforestry, herb spiral,
alternative technology, water catchment, greywater, aquaculture, or land
reclamation project.

4. Developing a Sustainable Home Ecosystem: 
This is for someone who has designed and developed a home system and,
preferably, who lives on the site.  If you are interested in doing a
design report for your site, please send an e-mail requesting an outline
for documenting Sustainable Home Ecosystems.

For any article, please include relevant information about site
conditions & characteristics like climate, microclimate, geology, and
land systems; materials; yourself; and/or the community.

Feel free to contact us by e-mail at [email-masked] if you have
any questions or want to talk about an article idea.

Our preferred format to receive writing is via the above email address. 
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS.  SEND AS TEXT BODY OF MESSAGE. You can
also send it to PO Box 45472, Seattle, WA 98145 on a PC disc in Microsoft
Word format with a printed copy. 

* If you have not heard of the Sustainable Living News (SLN): Our primary
goal is to provide timely and useful information and resources to people
working tin the fields of environmental & ecological design,
permaculture, sustainability, natural building, & community development. 
the SLN is published as a regional insert of the Permaculture Activist. 
#19 of the SLN went out to 1100 combined subscribers of the Activist and
SLN.  An additional 300 were printed unbound.  

For more information and to see the latest issue visit our web site at
www.sustainablelivingnews.com 
___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]