Subject: HM and the Society of Ecological Economists

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:06:00 WST

Reply-To: Conference "chrm.general" <[email-masked]>
From: Allan Savory <[email-masked]>

Lynn I suggest you call Ron Brandes as I do not know if he is on email.  He
and a friend are writing a book on this subject and have been doing
exhaustive research.  Ron's phone number is 516361 3482

While Ron and others in the Society of Ecological Economists are looking at
theory and doing some exciting work, we have been working on simple
practical application.  I did present a paper on this at one of the SEE
conferences a couple of years ago and you could get a copy from them or let
me know if you can't locate it and I will send a copy. 

We are encouraged by a some of the results we are experiencing particularly
in turning around companies in trouble.  We are doing this with the holistic
financial planning we have been developing.  This process employs a number
of new wrinkles which lead to substantially better results than more
conventional financial planning or budgetting. While this is not using
self-organizing as a foundation, it is using the ideas of mimicing nature
wherever possible - accepting that all wealth which sustains nations is
derived from the photosynthetic process and ecosystem functioning and that
we can only talk of profits in any company when there is a cash surplus over
costs while maintaining or improving the underlying biological foundation of
wealth.  The basics of this you can read about in our original textbook
"Holistic Resource Management" and then it is being substantially updated in
the revised textbook coming out next year.    

	Allan Savory
        Center for Holistic Management
        1010 Tijeras NW
        Albuquerque, NM 87102 
        505)842-5252  (505)843-7900 fax 
        http://www.igc.org/holisticmanagement