Subject: Desertification conference + WWF broadens interests + (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 08:05:17 WST

To: [email-masked]
From: "K.H. von Kaufmann" <[email-masked]>

Africa Fighting Back the Widening Deserts -- About 2,000 delegates from 190
countries and hundreds of environmental organisations have gathered in the
Senegalese capital, Dakar, for an international conference on the spread of
deserts. Read the story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_224000/224597.stm

WWF'S Panda Campaigns for Poor -- The World Wide Fund for Nature, renowned
for its work to save endangered species, is set to campaign overtly for the
world's poor. In a move which may startle some of its supporters, the
British branch of the organisation, WWF-UK, will call for the promotion of
basic human and political rights. Read the story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk:80/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_223000/223360.stm

SAVING AUSTRALIA'S UNDERGROUND SEA
By Andrew Darby
ADELAIDE, Australia, November 30, 1998 (ENS) - A century after ranchers
first tapped into the world's single largest underground fresh water
supply, a $US143 million rescue plan has been agreed for damage to
ecosystems on the surface above.
Copyright Environment News Service (ENS) 1998
For Full Text and Graphics Visit:
http://ens.lycos.com/ens/nov98/1998L-11-30-01.html