Subject: Re-Post (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:05:41 WST

To: Recipients of CHRM-GENERAL <[email-masked]>

To all chrm-educators: I posted this last Thursday, but it doesn't appear to
have gone through. Apologies if this is a repeat...

Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>To: [email-masked]
>From: Sam Melada <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Madagascar Landscape Development RFP
>Sender: [email-masked]

>All CE's and trainees interested in international development work:  
>
>We have received the following information that might be of interest.
>Chemonics is a very well known "development" agency. They do lots of USAID
>and World Bank type stuff.  The Center is not endorsing or making comment on
>this. Just making available the information. If you are interested, call
>Kate Allen directly.  
>
>Shannon
>
>My name is Kate Allen and I work for Chemonics International.  I am
>currently looking for qualified long and short-term consultants who
>are interested in being included in our bid for the USAID funded
>Madagascar Landscape Development Intervention Project which will be
>based in Madagascar. 
>
>We are looking for an environmental planner whose qualifications and
>scope of work follow.  I would like to discuss interest and
>availability in participating in this project.  Please find following
>the proposal fact sheet.  If you are interested in discussing this
>project with me or in being included on our bid, please call or E-mail
>at your earliest convenience if I haven't yet contacted you.  
>
>Thank you.
>
>Kate Allen
>Chemonics International Inc.
>New Business Assistant
>(202) 955-3468
>(202) 955-7550 -fax
>E-mail: [email-masked]
>______________________________________________________________________
>Environmental Planner (in country for at least first six months)
>
>	The Contractor's shall provide an environmental planner to
>lead the regional work plan development across the regions.  This
>individual shall arrive with the chief of party (COP) and stay in
>country through the development of the regional plans (approximately 6
>months).  It will be his/her responsibility to lead the regional
>planning effort and ensure appropriate linkages of planned
>interventions to biodiversity conservation within priority
>conservation zones.  This individual should be extremely knowledgeable
>and practiced in landscape ecology, ecosystem management, biodiversity
>conservation and protected area management and be familiar with
>agricultural development in developing countries.  The individual
>should have a working level knowledge of French.
>_________________________________________________________________
>FACT SHEET: The Madagascar Landscape Development Intervention Activity
> (No.623-98-004)
>
>Prepared by Chemonics International Inc., based on best available
>information as of .
>
>In conjunction with the Government of Madagascar's National
>Environmental Action Plan and USAID's Natural Resources Strategic
>Objective (to conserve biologically diverse ecosystems in priority
>conservation zones of Madagascar through improved natural resources
>management), USAID-funded activities and results are grouped into two
>Results Packages; RP#1 -the Landscape Ecology Approach and RP#2
>-National Level Enabling Conditions.
>
>Under RP#1, the Landscape Ecology Approach is an approach to resource
>management and planning focused on understanding the ecological,
>social, and economic consequences of changes in landscape composition.
> In the context of Madagascar, this landscape ecology approach draws
>upon achievements with protected areas management and is enriched by a
>number of different concepts, including integrated conservation and
>development projects, biosphere reserves, eco-regional planning,
>bio-regional management, and ecosystem management.
>
>The USAID-funded Landscape Development Interventions Activity is
>designed to decrease the extensification of agricultural practices in
>priority conservation zones and to stimulate environmentally desirable
>private enterprise opportunities. This project focuses on the third
>component of RP#1:  Promoting Sustainable Use of Natural Resources in
>the Broader Landscape.
>
>USAID encourages creative and innovative approaches to the promotion
>of the sustainable use of natural resources in the broader landscape
>and its sub-results. Some of the tasks and responsibilities already
>outlined are: 
>
>1) 	A decrease in extensification of agricultural practices in
>priority conservation zones:
>
>	(a)	Support implementation partners to help farmers
>increase agricultural productivity and limit agricultural
>extensification
>	(b)	Increase community capacity building and information
>exchange in areas dealing with agricultural practices and conservation
>	(c) 	Strengthen capacity of implementing partners
>	(d)	Increase spatial analysis, support research,
>technology transfer, and information 			sharing among
>regional actors 

>2)	An increase in private sector incentives for biodiversity
>conservation by supporting viable conservation
>enterprises/associations:
>
>	(a) 	Support enterprises/associations promoting the
>sustainable use of biological resources.
>	(b)    	Support ecotourism related enterprises/associations
>	(c) 	Support enterprises/associations promoting
>environmentally friendly technology
>	(d)	Support enterprises/associations promoting high value
>organic crop and fiber production
>TRAINING
>
>USAID/Madagascar also requires the following training:
>	(a)	Short Term Training
>	(b)	Landscape Ecology Scholarship Program 
>	(c)	Conservation Enterprise Apprentice Program
>	(d)	Professional Development/Training of Regional Program
>Managers
>
>RESEARCH
>
>One of the needs identified within the RP program is a continued
>demand for relevant and applied research as it relates to agricultural
>development, natural resources management, and landscape ecology
>within Madagascar.
>
>
>Length of Project:			Four years
>RFP Issued:				December 1, 1997
>Proposal Due Date:			February 3, 1998
>Expected Project Start Up:	July 1998
>Project Base:				Antananarivo, Madagascar

>Long-term Positions			COP
>						3 Regional
>Coordinators
>						Financial Officer
>
>Short-term Assistance:		to be determined. 
>
>School:					K-4   $9,150, 5  $9,850, 6-9 
>$9,850 at post and $34,050                                            
                away from post, 10-12 $34,050 away from post
>					       
>						American School of
>Antananarivo
>						K-10 with 8 full-time
>and 7 half-time teachers
>						75 total enrollment
>
>Post Differential:		      Antananarivo 		 15%
>						outside of
>Antananarivo 20%
>
>The RFP in its entirety can be accessed at: 
>	http://www.info.usaid.gov/procurement_bus_opp/procurement/solicitations
>
>The Strategic Objective Agreement outlining the Natural Resource
>Office signed agreement with the Government of Madagascar can be found
>at:  
>	http://www.info.usaid.gov/procurement_bus_opp/procurement/annual_pstatem
>
>
>The Results Package 1 Description, a critical document in presenting
>an overview of our program and key operational linkages between
>components can be found at:
>	http://www.info.usaid.gov/procurement_bus_opp/procurement/annual_pstatem

>A series of maps of Madagascar (gif format) displaying different types
>of relevant data geographically (eg population, vegetation type,
>limits of protected areas) can be found at:  
>	http://edcintl.cr.usgs.gov/madagascar