Subject: Permaculture Design Course on Moloka'i, Hawai'i

From: "john valenzuela" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 18:33:20 PDT

PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE on the ISLAND of MOLOKA'I, HAWAI'I

Dates: November 29 to December 12, 1997.

Location: Hui Ho'olana, a 77 acre retreat center on Moloka'i, Hawai'i. 
This island was the first place Bill Mollison ever visited in the US.
It is a very rural island with many native hawaiians on homestead land, 
extensive ancient hawaiian fish ponds, and permaculture sites.

Description: The main purpose of the course is to impart permaculture 
principles and methodologies which can be applied anywhere in the world. 
This design course will cover the standard two week cerificate 
Permaculture Design Course curriculum. Through lecture, discussion, 
slide shows, observation, field trips, and hands-on experiential 
learning, permaculture design students will develop the practical skills 
and knowledge to design and implement sustainable systems in harmony 
with the natural world. There will be an emphasis on designing 
permaculture and agroforesty systems adapted to Hawai'i and other 
subtropical/tropical oceanic islands. This will range in scale from 
urban, backyard and small acreage to village and whole island design.

Instructors: Michael Pilarski has taught permaculture in the USA, 
Canada, Belize, Nepal, and Australia, and teaches herbal wildcrafting. 
He is the founder of Friends of the Trees in Washington state. Douglas 
Bullock is a horticulturalist with wide experience in Washington state, 
California, New Zealand, Australia, and Hawai'i. Bruce Hill was raised 
in Argentina and lived in other Latin American countries. He manages the 
Kanahena Farm Nursery in Maui. John Valenzuela is an educator and 
horticulturalist based on the Big Island of Hawai'i. He also has wide 
experience in California, from urban gardening to forestry. The 
instructors are avid and knowledgeable plantsmen with international 
experience.

Cost: US$950 including two weeks lodging, meals, and materials. Campers 
pay a reduced fee. Some partial scholarships are available
The course is limited to 25 participants.

Contact: Hu'i Ho'olana
         PO Box 99
         Kualapu'u, Hawai'i 96757 
         Tel. and Fax:(808)567-6430

     or: Friends of the Trees Society
         PO Box 4469 
         Bellingham, Washington 98227 
         Tel:(360)738-4972 Fax:(360)671-9668
         URL: www.geocities.com/rainforest/4663   

PS: Please send me any e-mail addresses or URLs that this event should 
be listed at. MAHALO

John Valenzuela Permaculture Services 
PO Box 1280 Pahoa, Hawai'i 96778
e-mail: [email-masked]

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com