Subject: How to "email" a map (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 11:14:15 WST

Errors-To: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk
Lines: 40

One of my students just showed me something neat on the web, but I don't
know how widespread in the world it applies. It may only work for cities in
the US. But, for addresses that I am familiar with, I can get a street map
via Yahoo. The url for it is

http://www.proximus.com/yt.hm?CMD=FILL&FAM=yahoo&client=yahoomap&SEC=startym
&stex=-y

and then you enter an address into the appropriate places and it generates
a map that you can zoom in or out to see the detail or the larger context.
Also, if you enter your point of origin, it gives you another map and
driving directions that take you to the detail map.

So, instead of scanning a map, and attaching it to an email, you can just
locate the map from the above address, and when you have the particular
location of interest, email that url. For example, Pat and I live at 608
Fairfield Lane, Austin, TX 78751. If I enter that address, I get a map with
the url of

http://www.proximus.com/yahoo/yt.hm?FAM=yahoo&CMD=GEO&SEC=geo&AD2=608+Fairfi
eld+Lane&AD3=Austin%2C+TX+78751&recent=0

If you enter this rather long url into your web browser, you will get a map
of my neighborhood. If you don't, then enter the information I gave above
into the web form of the first url.

Try it and see how it works. Now, it I could simply give the latitude and
longitude and get the same resolution, I'd be ready to use this in the
avionics of our aircraft ... eh, Allan!!

Dick

R. H. (Dick) Richardson                     (512) 471-4128 office
Zoology Dept.                                     471-9651 FAX
University of Texas                               
Austin, TX 78712