Subject: Re: Constructed wetlands for Perth's rivers

From: Martin Anda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:24:36 +0800

Martin I was wondering if there was any possibility that these two rivers
may not have some Constructed Wetlands outside of Perth to greatly reduce
the effect of Agricultural P and N before the water gets to Perth.
The loss of wetlands to fauna may be compensated for as well.

Regards,
          Vic

Some researchers here tried that for nutrient run-off into Peel Inlet from
agricultural lands.  Contact is Jane Chambers at Environmental Science,
Murdoch University ([email-masked]) who has published a
number of papers on the project.  Also applied research has been done there
on the application of Alcoa red mud to agricultural lands to sorp P and
prevent leaching ([email-masked]).

If people are particularly interested in wetlands for wastewater trreatment
we have a workshop proceedings from 1996 with case studies from around
Australia available at $25.

All the best.

Martin Anda
Research Associate
Remote Area Developments Group
Tel 61 8 9360 6399  Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Environmental Technology Centre
Tel 61 8 9360 6123 Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Murdoch University
Murdoch  WA  6150

---

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 08:26:36 WST

>From: Martin Anda <[email-masked]>
>To: Permaculture WA <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Constructed wetlands for Perth's rivers
>X-Listprocessor-Version: eepo-0.11 -- EEPO ListServer
>X-Comment:          Permaculture in Western Australia
>
>

The Land Management Society looked at some of the red mud trials near
 Busselton which appeared to be reasonably successful. The long term
affect still has to be assessed.

>If people are particularly interested in wetlands for wastewater treatment

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
[email-masked]                  11 Carew Place Greenwood 6024 
                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:---
           --:http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html:--
                 -----: Men Of The Trees :------
           ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling :------
                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----
                 http://www.eepo.com.au/~victor/
   http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
               Permaculture Convergence on line