Subject: Zero-input agricultural methods match high-input yields. (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 17:09:29 WST

To: [email-masked]
From: "K.H. von Kaufmann" <[email-masked]>

The one straw revolution, over again. The chemical system isn't 30 years
old, what it has acheived is to put farms and food largely into the hands of
multinationals.
The STop MAI campaign has been largely successful in Paris. the battle 
ground has been shifting as Asia is being stippped of her wealth by 
American and European Capitalists. Australia has been under attack as her
currently was devalued. (The devaluation of our currency by 40% has been 
used to strip our wealth from us where many of our national assets
are now wholey owned by Multinationals. 

Vic
---------------------------------------------------------

The current issue of NATURE magazine (vol 396, 19/11/98. p211, p262. ) has
an interesting article on how 2 zero external input agricultural systems
appear to match conventional high-input systems for crop yields (maize
being main study) over 10 years (150 years for wheat at Rothampstead).
There are other benefits such as 60 percent less nitrogen leaching.  One
system uses legumes for nitrogen cycling, the other manure.

Kenn