Subject: IPMnet NEWS #58, October '98 Neem conference.

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 13:01:24 WST

Excerpts from the IPM news. Neem has significance in Permaculture as a 
biological control of a variety of pests.
Vic
----------------------------snip------------------------

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CONTENTS (in 4 sections)
--------------------------------
I.   IPM News
       - Program Seeks Maize that Resists Striga
--------------------------------
II.  IPM Medley
       - Brazilian Congress Focuses on IPM
       * PUBLICATIONS -- CDs -- PUBLICATION & CD NOTES
       * OTHER RESOURCES
       * EQUIPMENT & MATERIALS
--------------------------------
III. Research/Technical Papers
       * SELECTED TITLES
--------------------------------
IV. IPMnet Calendar
       * IPMnet CALENDAR 1: NEW or REVISED Entries
       * IPMnet CALENDAR 2: PREVIOUSLY LISTED Entries, 1999 only
................................................................
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  I.  IPM NEWS / APPLICATIONS
      --- international IPM news and programs
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 \--------------------------------------------------------------/

================================
PRACTICAL BIOCONTROL ILLUSTRATED
--------------------------------
    From its attractive and informative front cover right through 164
information-laden pages, the Univ. of California's 1998 publication,
NATURAL ENEMIES HANDBOOK - The Illustrated Guide to Biological Pest
Control, stands as possibly the most useful practical resource for
biocontrol currently available today. Authors M.L. Flint and S.H.
Dreistadt, backed by a host of technical editors, advisors, and re-
viewers, have included virtually every insect, mite, and spider fam-
ily important in biological control, and illustrated each with a
taxonomically correct line drawing or color photo. The softbound
(hardbound available) work contains 180 color photographs and 140 
line drawings for hundreds of predators, parasites, and pathogens 
that attack pests. Beyond the visual, the handbook, while technical,
provides information in a straight-forward manner that helps users
find, identify, and deploy natural enemies. The comprehensive and
authoritative work covers pest weeds, insects, pathogens, nematodes,
and mites. A "biological pest control quick guide" section identifies
those natural enemies most likely to help control a specific pest
species. As with other earlier volumes in the Univ. of California
Statewide IPM Program publication series, NATURAL ENEMIES HANDBOOK
(pub. #3386) represents an excellent value for the depth of informa-
tion provided.  
FMI: Communication Services--Publications, DANR, Univ. of California,
6701 San Pablo Ave., Oakland, CA 94608, USA.  Fax: 1-510-643-5470.  
E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Phone: 1-510-642-2431.
Website: <www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/GENERAL/naturalenemiesflyer.html>.  <#>

                             ---------
                       >> OTHER RESOURCES <<
                             ---------
___________________________________
U.S. PEST INFORMATION KNOWLEDGEBASE   The National Agricultural Pest
                                      Information System (NAPIS) in-
corporates a wide range of U.S. national plant pest survey data and is
an electronic compilation of information formerly published in hard-
copy form. NAPIS serves as the database for the U.S. government's
Cooperative Agricultural Pest Survey. The NAPIS gateway website at
<www.ceris.purdue.edu:80/napis/> is a key entry point for accessing a
variety of material, both current and older, on specific pest species.
An extensive portion of the included information, while based on U.S.
conditions, also has international applicability.  FMI: J. Pheasant,
NAPIS/CERIS, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA.  E-mail:
<[email-masked]>. Fax: 1-765-494-9727. Phone: 1-765-494-9853. <#>
_______________________
DOSSIER OF A NASTY PEST    A continuously revised and expanded web-
                           site offers more data than most people ever
want to know about the important pest insect, codling moth, (_Cydia
pomonella_ L.). The site, "Codling Moth Information Support System"
(CMISS), is designed to provide information for research and extension
and is found at: <www.ippc.orst.edu/codlingmoth>. One CMISS list con-
tains 6,500 references blanketing the literature from 1700 to 1998.
Several other sections are devoted to various control strategies, as
well as phenology and population dynamics...even how the little rascal
got its name. A generalized degree-day calculator on CMISS can be used
worldwide to forecast codling moth phenology under local conditions.
The site was designed and prepared by W.I. Bajwa under sponsorship of
the Integrated Plant Protection Center (USA) in concert with the U.S.
Agricultural Research Service.  FMI: W.I. Bajwa, IPPC, 2040 Cordley,
Oregon State Univ., Corvallis, OR 97331, USA.  Fax: 1-541-737-3080.
E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Phone: 1-541-737-6272.  <#>
_______________________________
19-21 May * WORLD NEEM CONFERENCE (and Tradeshow), Vancouver, BC,
    CANADA.  Contact: M.B. Isman, Dept. of Plant Science, Univ. of
    British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4, CANADA.
    E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Fax: 1-604-822-8640.