Subject: reminder

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 12:00:19 WST

I have added Holistic Management to the topic list for Permaculture as a 
an expansion of tools for Permaculture and in recognition of the 
possibilities of expanding the scope of Permaculture into broad acre 
farming. Also the contribution that Holistic Management may make in the
sociological needs of Permaculture Communities.

Vic Guest.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to [email-masked], a mailing list of the Permaculture Association
of Western Australia (PAWA), formed for discussion and communication between
permaculturists in Western Australia (and other interested parties).

We welcome your input and we invite you to join us in encouraging people all
over the world to discover permaculture for themselves.  The following topic
list gives some idea of the wide range we attempt to cover ...

  Agricultural History     Alternative Economics  Bio-regionalism
  Community Aid            Community Building     Community Forestry
  Ecology                  Economic Regionalism   Energy
  Enviro Contamination     Enviro Education       Enviro Ethics
  Enviro Investment        Food Production        Green Business
  Healthy Cities           LETS                   Landscape Architecture
  Legislative Inititives   Ongoing Projects       Organics
  Pattern Language         Population Growth      Project Finance
  Recycling                Self-help              Sustainability
  Sustainable Agriculture  The Environment        Town Planning
  Urban Planning           Waste Management       Water Purification

                            Holistic Management

... but this list is by no means definitive.  Be imaginative!!
(topic list stolen shamelessly from Mike Smith <[email-masked]> :-)

  A Definition Of Permaculture
  ----------------------------
  Permaculture ("Perma"nent agri"culture" and "Perma"nent "culture") is a
  sustainable design system stressing the harmonious interrelationship of
  humans, plants, animals and the Earth.  To paraphrase the founder of
  Permaculture, designer Bill Mollison:

     Permaculture principles focus on thoughtful designs for small-
     scale intensive systems which are labour efficient and which
     use biological resources instead of fossil fuels.  Designs
     stress ecological connections and closed energy and material
     loops.  The core of permaculture is design and the working
     relationships and connections between all things.  Each
     component in a system performs multiple functions, and each
     function is supported by many elements.  Key to efficient
     design is observation and replication of natural ecosystems,
     where designers maximize diversity with polycultures, stress
     efficient energy planning for houses and settlements, use and
     accelerate natural plant succession and increase the highly
     productive "edge-zones" within the system.

  Permaculture designs have been successfully and widely implemented in
  third-world countries, but there is current need to expand these
  principles in temperate climates, and especially urban areas to create
  more enjoyable and sustainable human habitats.

  -- Dr. Lee Barnes,
     The Permaculture Connections: Southeastern Permaculture Network News

Local Organisations
-------------------
PAWA -
  Possibly one of the largest groups of permaculturists in the world with in
  excess of 1000 on our books.  Our location in Western Australia affords us
  great diversity too, from temperate Albany on the south coast to Kununurra
  in the tropical north.  Many PAWA members are participants on this list.

PERMALETS (WA) -
  A Local Exchange Trading System (LETS), maintained by and for participants
  in the Western Australian permaculture movement. 

PIWA -
*** PIWA is the Permaculture Institute of Western Australia and they are
*** responsible for all education and certification. . .

World Wide Web (WWW)
--------------------
Those blessed with WWW access may like to browse our  web pages
at - http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html
and http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
               Permaculture Convergence on line

Your contributions to the web pages may be sent to this list for dissection,
torture and humiliation (or is that still called editing?)

List details
------------
Postings to the list should be sent to: [email-masked].

List subscriptions, unsubscriptions, etc, to: [email-masked].
  (send "HELP" in the *body* of the message for listserver details)
or you may subscribe online at http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
[email-masked]                  11 Carew Place Greenwood 6024 
                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:---
           --:http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html:--
                 -----: Men Of The Trees :------
           ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling :------
                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----
                 http://www.eepo.com.au/~victor/
   http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
               Permaculture Convergence on line