Subject: HM perception in practice.

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 19:59:33 WST

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Question for "the list"

Dick Richardson wrote:

> We are all struggling in one way or another to find ways to restore
> ecological productivity and achieve a high quality of life. Most of the
> time we are focusing on either symptoms or "proximate causes" rather than
> systemic problems. That is, there is a weak link we can address directly
> within our personal or "our whole" domain of influence, but there are other
> weak links beyond our effective reach. Ultimately these more distant weak
> links will need to be addressed, and that can be done only(?) be a broad
> group effort in education, communities (global and geographically nearby),
> and ... politics.
>
> With this thesis, I would like to know what you perceive as (1) the weak
> link you personally can attack, and (2) the weak link that "we" can attack
> together. (I will welcome whatever detail you wish to share.)
>
> Dick (in Texas)
>
> R. H. (Dick) Richardson                     (512) 471-4128 office
> Zoology Dept.                                     471-9651 FAX
> University of Texas
> Austin, TX 78712

  Hi Dick,

Perhaps this paper may help.

  HOW TO SOLVE "WHOLE" PROBLEMS
       (A guide to good solutions)  By Wayne Burleson

A Procedure to identify the "WHOLE" Problem

                  ___________________________________________________________
   (State the title of the problem here)

Background Information on this Problem:
Clearly state the facts known about the WHOLE problem in terms that do not
blame people and then do your best to answer the following questions about the
WHOLE problem.  Skip over the questions that don't apply to your particular
situation.  List, discover and search for background facts about this problem:

Why is this decision or situation a problem?
_______________________________________
Who or what does this problem effect?
___________________________________________
List the symptoms of this problem:
_______________________________________________
List the surface cause of this problem
_____________________________________________
What are the deep-rooted causes of this problem? : ___________________Ask Why 5
times
Who is this decision or situation, a problem for?
___________________________________
What other problems is this one related to?
________________________________________
How did this problem start?
_____________________________________________________
How long has this problem been going on?
_________________________________________
List additional factors that make this a problem
_____________________________________
What are the base ingredients that cause this to become a problem in the first
place? _______
________________________________________________ Which one is the weakest link?

If the problem is conflict, state the different perspectives of the individual
parties involved.  Think back to the original decision or situation that made
this a problem in the first place.
Who made this decision? ___________________
Why was this decision made - to correct what original problem or concern?
State the original problem or concern?
___________________________________________
If this problem started from a previous decision, test the original decision
for soundness
Was this decision economically, ecologically, socially____, & spiritually sound
____,
as related to the long term desired results?  YES or NO.

   Now Restate the WHOLE Problem:

        _________________________________________________________________

        _________________________________________________________________

     State How You Would Like this Problem to End:

___________________________________________________________________________

Finding Good Solutions to the WHOLE Problem
Now consider the WHOLE problem
Name the "Whole" affected by this problem: __________________________
   (Name all the people and things that this problem affects)
________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________
How to Find WHOLE Solutions
Brainstorming
Pool all your resources.  Set a group of people down with the whole problem
written out in front of them. Have them come up with an list of alternative
solutions that will help solve the original base problem.
List the best solutions or action steps that best solves the WHOLE problem

                The Best Solutions to solve this WHOLE problem are: Will this
solution pass the following Testing Guidelines?
   Test the decision or recommended solution for soundness.
1 Is this action dealing with a symptom (effect) or the deeper underlying cause
of the problem?
2 Could this action unleash other "problems" (list other symptoms to look for)?

3. Will this solution move toward or away from the predetermined statement:
 "How Would You Like this Problem to End"
4. Is this solution addressing the weakest link when looking at the real causes
of this problem?
5. Is this solution Economical Sound?  The best way to spend $$  Are there
other area needs?
6.Is this solution or decision Environmental Sound?  What will happen to the
environment?
7.Is this solution or decision  Socially Sound?  What effect will on the
community around us?
8. Is this solution or decision Spiritually Sound?  What effect will this have
on faith.
9. Will this solutions take us toward our Values what we believe in what's most
important.
10.Will this decision take us the toward our Mission Statement Who we are & Why
we are here
11. Will this decision take us toward our predetermined Vision - Where we are
going
Also consider the Quality of life wanted, Per-determined landscape/environment
and forms of production needed - see last page)
12 Are your own bias entering in into this solution?
13 Are you considering the other people's perspectives in this action?

Recommended ACTION Step to solve this problem
 Who is responsible for the implementation of this solution?
_____________________
 List each step for this action.    Scheduled dates for completion.
Step 1___________________________________________________________  Date _______

Step 2 ___________________________________________________________ Date _______

Step 3 ___________________________________________________________ Date _______

Step 4 ___________________________________________________________ Date _______

and so on ________________________________________________________ Date _______

Once you have implemented this new action, what other negative items may arise?

      ___________________________________________________________
   Monitoring for Needed Adjustment

After implementation of the solution
Hint, if you are alone in this problem solving effort just change the We to I
in the above questions

If this solution goes astray, off track ,list the early warning criteria - the
things to watch out for so adjustments can be taking for before other serious
problems arise.
___________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________

REVIEW THE LIFETIME MISSION STATEMENT (END IN MIND)
Briefly state your family's or groups's Mission Statement by answering the
following statements

 Values (What do we believe in?   Name the things that are most important to
us) ______________________________________________________

 Mission (Why we are here? Name our main  purpose why we are here)
_________________________________________________________

 Vision (Where are we going? Describe a word picture of the future we want)
________________________________________________________

Quality of life (State the future quality of life wanted?  How do we want to
life)
 _______________________________________________________

 Future Landscape Descriptions (How we want things to look and function around
us) ____________________________________________________

Forms of Production (State the forms of production needed to sustain this
vision)
 _____________________________________________________
 What kind of work and effort do we need to produce the kind of life we want?

Final Check:   Does this WHOLE solution take us toward the above statements?
YES ___ or  NO ___ .  If no, go back and search of other solutions or call it a
no-deal.