Subject: Turning a pool into a pond

From: jude <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:22:41 +0800

Hi - I'm not sure where I am or you are!  I'm new as you can probably tell!

I received all these emails for other people - but most I replied to were
returned.
  
So...

Can I post a message to ask about how to turn a backyard fibreglass pool into
a pond - with marron to act as scavengers - in Perth?

Also, I cannot clear what we have been told are "stickfast" on our chooks.
we had no problem for 8 years.  Then my wormwoods died and about 6 months later
infestation!  We have oiled + euc/oil + 1 dr pennyroyal which kill the tick
things immediately, and do not harm our birds.  As soon as we return the
birds to the chook run area - within 24 hours they are back.  The birds
become very rundown very quickly and we have neem oiled the run and rested
it and  - HELP!
They stick all around the eyes and combs etc and make them miserable.  They
lose condition very quickly.  We also need to reorganise our run - could the
local doves be bringing in the stickfast?

Many thanks

Jude
[email-masked]

---

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 10:57:01 WST

>a pond - with marron to act as scavengers - in Perth?

Yes and people can either offer you a course in Permaculture design which
should include Aquaculture or advise you how to do it.

Can anyone add any information about colloidal silver as a way of keeping 
the water safe.
. 
>local doves be bringing in the stickfast?

One of the problems is sand can harbour fleas. A chook tractor with a perch
for the chooks (which you keep oiled ) sounds like a good idea. To rest the 
run. Hang a piece of cloth soked in oil at the entrance to the chook nests,
which will keep the chooks head and eyes oiled.
Some fleas apparently have to get to the chooks mouth to get enough 
moisture to live.

>[email-masked]

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
[email-masked]                 1 Annato Street Greenwood 6024 
                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:---
              --:http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html:-
          -----: Men Of The Trees, Holistic Management :------
       ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling Landmark Education:------
                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----
                 http://www.eepo.com.au/~victor/
   http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
               Permaculture Convergence on line

---

From: jude <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:08:01 +0800

Dear Vic, 

Thanks so much for your reply.  I'll instigate suggestions and see how I go

Jude