Subject: some good links (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:30:17 WST

From: "Peter Donovan" <[email-masked]>
To: "chrm" <[email-masked]>

In the ongoing process of exploring and updating our website links, I want
to share a couple of the best over the list. John McKnight's work on
asset-based community development is an inspiration, and may enable you to
see the possibilities of holistic decision making in urban situations with
new eyes. Some good examples of policy analysis too.

Teaching a Caterpillar to Fly
(http://www.squarewheels.com/content/teaching.html)
by Scott Simmerman: a delightful and humorous
essay about change

The Asset-Based Community Development Institute
(http://www.cpn.org/ABCDI/ABCDI.html)
describes the basic
concepts in John McKnight's book, Building Community from the Inside Out 
(http://www.nwu.edu/IPR/publications/buildingblurb.html),
about development from an asset base of gifts and passions rather than the
usual social-service approach of addressing needs and deficiencies.
McKnight's work is also described in the 1996 book, The Careless Society:
Community and Its Counterfeits 
(http://www.nwu.edu/IPR/publications/careless.html)
Click here (http://www.johnsonfdn.org/library/journal/v17n3/community.html)
to see an excerpt. For other
samples of McKnight's work, see Regenerating Community 
(http://www.cpn.org/sections/topics/community/civic_perspectives/regen_comm.

html)
and The Politics of Health Care
(http://www.cpn.org/cpn/sections/topics/health/civic_perspectives/polit_heal

th_care.html).

Peter

PRACTICAL HOLISM IN THE NORTHWEST: A JOURNAL OF PEOPLE, LAND, AND MONEY
reports quarterly on what people are learning from conscious efforts to
manage wholes, rather than issues, positions, rules, problems, symptoms, or
parts:  http://www.orednet.org/~pdonovan