Subject: Proposed letter to OECD and PM (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 1988 09:30:52 WST

As the Multilateral Agreement on Investment has already shown how it will
affect the enviromental integrity of Multinational Companies, I forward this
to the list as a concerned Permaculturalist. (Ethyl Company Canada)
Please feel free to ask any questions you want to as the  people
I ask about MAI indicates that the public is not being informed about
these Secret Negotiations. Australia now has signed over 2,500 treaties
apparently without ratification by Parliament. Keating signed a secret
Military Alliance with Indonesia which would have been regected by
Parliament.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The following  is the text of a letter to be forwarded to Paris on Friday,
16 October, in time for delivery to the OECD before the Multilateral
Agreement on Investment (MAI) negotiations recommence on Tuesday, 20
October.

The Stop MAI coalition seeks endorsement by as many significant citizens
as possible, including representatives of unions and other civil
organisations, lawyers, academics, sympathetic parliamentarians, etc.
Individual signatories are invited also to consider forwarding a
(voluntary) donation of $10 or $20 toward the cost of advertising the
letter in 'The Australian'.  Non-donor participation is equally welcome.

Please paste or forward this message to your contacts and request that
they do likewise as quickly as possible. To endorse the letter, you need
only email to  [email-masked]   with Subject: ENDORSE and the
name(s) and designation of signatories in the body of the message.
Alternatively, fax  a signed copy or authorising message to Stop MAI (WA)
at 08 9335 7646, or mail to the undersigned.

Brian Jenkins
14 Crowcombe Way
Karrinyup 6018
Western Australia

Phone +61 (0)8 9246 3882
Email  [email-masked]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Letter for endorsement by Individuals and Organisations
to be finalised on Friday, 16 October, 1998
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

to: The Chairman, MAI Negotiating Group, OECD

through

The Hon John W Howard, Prime Minister of Australia

Dear Sir,

We consider the draft Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI) to be
damaging to Australians' sovereignty and parliamentary independence. We
urge that it not be proceeded with.

The purpose of the MAI is to regulate governments as a means of
liberalising investment. The draft MAI treaty unacceptably elevates the
rights of transnational corporations above those of elected governments,
communities, citizens, workers and the environment. This is totally
unacceptable.

MAI negotiations have been conducted by governments representing the 29
OECD countries, which are the richest countries in the world.
Participation of non-OECD countries and organisations representing the
interests of workers, consumers, farmers, the environment, social justice
and human rights has been minimal.

WE CALL ON THE OECD AND THE GOVERNMENT OF AUSTRALIA TO:

* Undertake an independent and comprehensive assessment of the social,
environmental, and development impact of the MAI with full public
participation. The negotiations should be suspended during this
assessment;

* Require multinational investors to observe established standards of
environmental protection, labour, health, safety and human rights;

* Put into place open dispute-resolution mechanisms for determination in
Australian courts of law;

* Give the community effective new powers to hold investors to account;

* Ensure that governments do not have to pay for the right to set
environmental, labour, health and safety standards, even if compliance
with such regulations imposes financial obligations and losses on
investors;

* Reject any terms which restrict the right of elected governments to
improve standards and/or to effect withdrawal from the MAI under
reasonable notice, e.g., six months.

In sincerity and trust

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

(Signed and Dated)
Add designation, organisation name, etc
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Please paste or forward this message to your contacts and request that
they do likewise as quickly as possible. To endorse the letter, you need
only email to  [email-masked]   with Subject: ENDORSE and the
name(s) and designation of signatories in the body of the message.
Alternatively, fax  a signed copy or authorising message to Stop MAI (WA)
at 08 9335 7646, or mail to the undersigned.

Brian Jenkins
14 Crowcombe Way
Karrinyup 6018
Western Australia

Phone +61 (0)8 9246 3882
Email  [email-masked]