Subject: Fire ant control (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 12:11:25 WST

Errors-To: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk
Lines: 31

For the list's information. Opinions expressed are not necesarily mine.

Kenn

--------------
NEW ARTILLERY AGAINST FIRE ANTS - A microorganism from South America is the
latest biological weapon against the red imported fire ant. Reasearchers
from the Agricultural Research Service and state cooperators released fire
ants infected with T. solenopsae last week at sites in Hope, Arkansas, and
Durant, Oklahoma. The scientists are confident that, over time, this
promising biocontrol agent can reduce fire ants that infest millions of
acres across 11 southern states. The pathogen, technically a
microsporidium, infects ant colonies and chronically weakens them. Workers
transmit the pathogen to the queen through food exchange. The microorganism
does not harm plants or native ant species. Other states slated for
releases of T. solenopsae include Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina,
Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia and Louisiana.

Environment News Service (ENS)      | E-Mail: [email-masked]
Hosted by the EnviroLink Network    | Phone : (520) 680-7020
General Info: [email-masked]   | Fax   : (520) 680-1266

EnviroLink is a member supported non-profit organization.  For membership
information, visit: http://www.envirolink.org/membership or call
412-683-6400.

IF YOU WISH TO REPRINT ANYTHING WITHIN THESE ARTICLES, please send e-mail
to: [email-masked] to request permission.  All information contained
within is Copyright (c) 1998 Environment News Service (ENS).
-------------