Subject: Re: fruit fly - did I miss posts of recipes

From: jude <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 12:40:48 +0800

Sorry - saw questions re fruit fly baits - but no responses - any suggesions,
also wish to send slaters to heaven - not give them a feast on potato
peelings - anything safe anyone can recommend??

Peace

Jude

---

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 17:00:38 WST

>From: jude <[email-masked]>
>To: Permaculture WA <[email-masked]>

>peelings - anything safe anyone can recommend??

I don't have the design for fruit fly baits made from 2litre drink bottles.
Some one may be able to give you a reference to it.

Re slaters: Neem the liquor from the tree of the same name is one way of
controlling slater damage. I use it myself and it works. Slaters have a 
job to do, and if you eliminate them you will be doing your garden a
disservice. One of the pricipals of Permaculture is to add something to
the environment to balance the ecology. One of the things which may be
wrong is that your garden may be deficient in trace elements.
Professor Callahan discovered that insects use Infrared to find their food.
His discovery showed that if the plants had the right level of elements
that insects didn't attack them.
What predators do slaters have, can you encourage them in your garden.
Another technique is to plant seedlings with a collar of plactic made from
plastic drink bottles.

>Jude

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
[email-masked]                 1 Annato Street Greenwood 6024 
                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:---
              --:http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html:--
                         ---:SOMA:---
          -----: Men Of The Trees, Holistic Management :------
       ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling Landmark Education:------
                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----
                 http://www.eepo.com.au/~victor/
   http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
               Permaculture Convergence on line