Subject: Washington and Idaho Farm Tours (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 22:33:47 -0400 (EDT)

----------------------------------
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
----=+=----
InterGarden
mailto:[email-masked]
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
Venaura Farm
mailto:[email-masked]
http://nuteknet.com/london
----------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:06:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Tom Hodges (moderated newsgroup)" <[email-masked]>
To: Principles of Sustainable Agriculture <[email-masked]>
Subject: Washington and Idaho Farm Tours

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:08:11 -0700
From: Colette DePhelps <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Washington and Idaho Farm Tours

ORGANIC, SUSTAINABLE AND DIRECT MARKETING FARM TOURS OFFERED IN WASHINGTON
AND IDAHO

The Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute (PCEI) is offering its third
annual series of farm tours in Idaho and Washington.  This year's tours
series, which runs from August to October, will emphasize the importance of
local food production and marketing.  The purpose of the tours is to
increase community knowledge and support of local agricultural products
produced using sustainable and organic production methods.  Featured farms
range from sustainable hay production on steep Palouse slopes, to
small-scale organic vegetable and flower production.

The tours will provide an opportunity for regional producers to learn about
the benefits and challenges of local production and direct marketing, and
for consumers to better understand how they can participate in their local
food systems. Tour participants will see, first hand, the environmental
benefits of alternative production systems.  Participants will also
participate in active discussions of how local production and marketing
enhances the quality of life and economic viability of local communities.
The tours are open to all -- farmers, consumers, extension agents, policy
makers, 4-H youth, Future Farmers of America, environmental advocates and
university students.

For the first time, tours will be held in the late summer and fall,
providing returning university students with an opportunity to attend.

Tours will be offered in:

Sandpoint				(Greater Sandpoint area)
	August 16, 1997
Wenatchee Valley			(Wenatchee, Chelan)
	August 21, 1997
Palouse Region			(Pullman, Moscow, Potlatch area)
	September 20, 1997
Kootenai and Spokane Counties	(Coeur d'Alene, Spokane area)	September
24, 1997
Clearwater Valley			(Lapwai, Lewiston, Clarkston area)
	October 18, 1997

Each tour will include a catered meal featuring local, sustainably grown
food and transportation in an air-conditioned bus.  Cost per person, per
tour, is $20.00  for persons registering at least one week prior to the
tour date.  The registration fee for late registrants is $25.00.  The tours
are co-sponsored by the PCEI Community Food Systems Program, University of
Idaho Cooperative Extension, Washington State University Center for
Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources and local chambers of
commerce.  Financial support comes from Patagonia, Inc. and the Jessie
Smith Noyes Foundation.

For more information or to receive a tour brochure, contact:

Colette DePhelps
Community Food Systems Program Coordinator

"Looking more deeply than usual at things, one wonders at how immense tiny
things are, and how tiny immense things are too.  Like dinosaurs (used to
be) and like neutrons.   ~Stine"

===================================================================
Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute
P O Box 8596; 112 West 4th St; Suite #1
Moscow ID 83843-1096
Phone (208)882-1444; Fax (208)882-8029
url:  http://www.moscow.com/pcei

Thomas C. Lamar, Executive Director: [email-masked]
Kathleen Lester, Office Manager: [email-masked]
Adam R. Thornbrough, Watersheds: [email-masked]
Colette DePhelps, Community Food Systems: [email-masked]
Kathy Roos, Transportation Education: [email-masked]

Celebrating eleven years of connecting people, place and community.
===================================================================