Subject: May 18 Sustainability Forum -This may be of interest to your list me (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 15:49:30 WST

Hudson Valley Sustainable Communities Network
P.O. Box 116, Cottekill, NY 12419-0116     914-687 0293

Contact: David Silverman 914 658 9120 ext. 2

For immediate release

May Sustainable Communities Forum Hosts 

Rob Young

Founder and Director, N.J. Office of Sustainability

When:  Monday, May 18, 1998.        
Reception:  6:00 p.m.; Forum at 7:00 p.m.
Where:  Student Lounge, Vanderlyn Hall, Ulster County Community College,
Cottekill Rd., Stone Ridge, NY

How can State and local governments Go Green?
How can businesses and government make smart green purchasing & building
decisions?
What state/local policies can make real differences in the sustainability of
our communities?

	The New Jersey Office of Sustainability was created by executive order of the
Governor. It has a broad mandate to promote sustainability, two years
committed funding, and significant policy support.  The program is positioned
in the N.J. Dept of Commerce, which allows it to leverage state business
incentive programs.

 Sustainability programs include: 

· A $1.75 million dollar loan fund for sustainable business initiatives; 
· A model green procurement program to leverage the $2 billion dollars in
purchasing power of the state of New Jersey, the world's 18th largest economy;
· A clearinghouse for public-private inquiries and information sharing;
· Sustainable business networking, including promoting NJ businesses to trade
shows such as the DC Eco-Expo;
· Building Green New Jersey, a program to bring manufacturers and builders
together to create standards, practices, and partnerships for green
construction;
· A "think tank " for the governor and commissioners on a variety of issues,
such as alternative fuels, emission standards, etc.;
· A web site and other public information strategies; 

	Join us to learn how this office works with the public, business and
policymakers to guide the economy onto a more sustainable path.  Rob Young is
available to help local government officials and involved citizens find ways
to implement similar strategies in our towns, counties, region and state
government.  HVSCN hopes this evening will launch some creative initiatives to
institutionalize sustainable practices here in the Hudson Valley.