Subject: Sagopalm (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:15:58 WST

These URLS may be of some interest
Vic
--------------------------------------------------------------
Reply-To: Conference "chrm.general" <[email-masked]>
From: [email-masked]

 From another mailing list.  Thought it might be of  interest to some on
chrm-general.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Announcement of a paper discussion at the
Internet Conference on Integrated Bio-Systems.
http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-25860/icibs
contact: [email-masked]

Date:               6-30 April 1998
Title of Paper:  Socio-economic microbial process strategies
                      for a sustainable development using environmentally
                      clean technologies.  Renewable Resource: Sagopalm
Presented by : Horst W.Doelle, Director of MIRCEN-Biotechnology
                      Brisbane and the Pacific Regional Network, Australia. 
                       Email: [email-masked]

URL of Paper:   http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-25860/icibs/doelle
Mailing list address:      [email-masked]
URL of list:       http://segate.sunet.se/archives/et-atlas.html
Registration:     e-mail [email-masked] and write :
             SUB ET-ATLAS yourfirstname yourlastname, organization
             e.g. sub et-atlas Horst Doelle, MIRCEN-Brisbane

Abstract :
In order to secure health with high life expectancy and to become 
self-efficient, which means supply and demand for domestic consumption is 
guaranteed, each government must strive and direct all its efforts towards 
increasing renewable resource production, thereby maintaining or reducing 
its demand by diversification of the staple food and at the same time 
remove health hazardeous wastes. Increased monoculture with a single outlet 
will continue to cause problems to farmers and the ecological environment. 
In order to foster deurbanisation, the farmer has to be offered attractive 
alternatives, which means security through a change froma mono- to a 
multiple-product agricultural industry. This alternative must include clean 
technologies providing the people with a cleaner environment [prevention of 
infectious diseases], food, feed, fertiliser, fuel as well as energy.

In SEAsia and parts of the Pacific Region, the sagopalm is a unique 
renewable resource and was therefore selected for this presentation. The 
palm grows well in swampy areas unsuitable for other crops, is very 
suitable for humid tropical low lands and contains an average of 160 kg 
starch, which can be increased to 275 kg in a well attended farm. This 
means that an average 25 t of starch/hectare sagopalm cultivation could be 
obtained.  A comprehensive socio-economic integrated biosystem will be 
presented, whereby the sagopalm farm can be used to supply  (1) house 
building material  (2) energy through gasification  (3) mushroom production 
 (4) starch flour  (5) ethanol for biofuel  (6) methane or biogas for 
energy  (7) aquaponics and fish production for food  (8) microbial protein 
for animal feed  (9) compost or other residual effluent for organic 
fertilisation of the farm  Such a system would increase self-efficiency on 
the farm, clean environment through reutilisation of the so-called 'waste' 
into value-added products and thus greatly increase the income of the 
farming community.
-------------------------------------