Subject: recycling of greywater

From: HELEN COLEMAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:51:35 +0800

I would like to write an article for my local (Mandurah) Permaculture group
newsletter, encouraging members to think more carefully about water usage,
and about recycling domestic greywater.

However, I am unsure of the legalities of this issue, and I don't want to
encourage people to do something illegal.  Could anyone give me some advice
on what we, in Western Australia, are allowed to do with this valuable resource?

Thanks, 
Helen

---

From: Martin Anda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:43:04 +0800

Helen

Domestic greywater recycling is currently illegal in WA (as it is elsewhere
in Aust) although it is acknowledged by the state agencies that at least
30% of people do this particularly in country areas.  Moreover
municipal-scale effluent reuse is permitted and carried out in many WA
country towns on parks and ovals from the central treatment plant.

This year only the HDWA and Water & Rivers Commission are allowing
greywater systems to be set up in the shires of Bassendean, Kalamunda and
Kalgoorlie/Boulder on a trial basis only.  After the years trials they will
then evaluate the results and determine what to do next.  You can read
about the current status in the latest issue of Water journal published by
the Aust Water and wastewater Assn.

If you would like get a comprehensive overview of domest greywater reuse
with case studies, site visits and a practical exercise come and do the one
day workshop with Ross Mars and myself at the Environmental technology
Centre on Saturday May 2, 9am - 5pm. $60.

Cheers

Martin Anda
Research Associate
Remote Area Developments Group (http://wwwies.murdoch.edu.au/radg.html)
Appropriate Technology for Remote Indigenous Communities
Tel 61 8 9360 2896  Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Environmental Technology Centre (http://wwwies.murdoch.edu.au/etc.html)
Environmental Technologies for Sustainable Development
Tel 61 8 9360 6123 Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Murdoch University
Murdoch  WA  6150