Subject: 1997 Summary of North Central Sust. Ag. Training (long) (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 14:42:36 WST

Reply-To: [email-masked]
From: Heidi Carter <[email-masked]>

Dear Readers:

Please contact me if you have any questions. Heidi Carter

                                      ***

	1997 Summary of the North Central Sustainable Agriculture Training 
Project
	Heidi Carter, Charles Francis, and Richard Olson

What is it about a natural ecosystem that lets it function year after year
using only solar energy without degrading the resource base, while
agroecosystems on farms and ranches require high fossil energy inputs and
suffer from soil erosion and water contamination? This question was explored
at three workshops co-sponsored by the North Central Sustainable Agriculture
Training Program (NCSATP).  Linking People, Purpose, and Place: An
Ecological Approach to Agriculture was held in Wooster, Ohio; Manhattan,
Kansas; and Morris, Minnesota, in June and July.

The purpose was to demonstrate how an understanding of ecological principles
can help us design farms and ranches that provide commodities while
retaining some of the beneficial processes of natural systems, such as clean
air and water and biodiversity. Because agroecosystems include people,
another goal was to explore  characteristics of local communities that
promote sustainability. 

The first step toward identifying useful ecological principles is to
describe the structure and function of presettlement ecosystems within a
particular region. The chief of Ohio Natural Areas and Preserves, an
environmental historian in Kansas, and a prairie biologist with the
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources gave overviews of the natural
ecosystems and of the agroecosystems that have taken their place. 

Agroecology was another central topic. Presenters described how
understanding the ecology of a place can lead to practices that are more
profitable, more energy and nutrient efficient, and less environmentally
disruptive. To effectively manage the biology of agricultural systems, we
must understand:
 	relationships among ecosystem structure and key processes, such as
nutrient cycling, water use, and soil biology;
 	which processes can be directly managed and which cannot, such as carbon
turnover versus photosynthesis; and
 	the importance of spatial and temporal diversity, such as changing
fertilization rates to correspond to variations in the soil.

Evaluating soil quality was a popular activity. Volunteer team leaders, who
were trained on site, led discussions in the field on the differences
between soils in natural ecosystems and those is nearby agroecosystems.
Using a miniversion of the USDA-ARS soil test kit, participants measured
infiltration rates, nitrate-nitrogen, organic matter, and depth to compact
strata. They also discovered the logistics of sampling.

Indoor sessions on topics such as innovations in weed management and
ecological principles of grazing complemented farm visits. Farmers and
ranchers described how they matched their production systems with weather
patterns, soil, vegetation, and markets. For example, in Kansas Alan and
Sharon Hubbard switched from a crop-livestock operation to a cattle
enterprise seven years ago. According to Alan, "I got tired of trying to
grow crops where they don't belong." The Hubbards run almost 2,000 head of
steers and cow-calf pairs on 6,000 acres. Learning from the tallgrass
prairie, they use rotational grazing and fire as management tools.

One of the guiding principles of NCSATP is that training must be inclusive,
both in terms of trainers and learners.  This year our audience background
expanded to include instructors from private colleges, college students, a
scientist with a large agrochemical company, and representatives from the
National Agroforestry Center.  In total, 178 people attended the workshops:
53% Extension and university, 8% nonprofits, 17% state and federal agencies,
13% producers, 7% students, and 2% private sector.

According to evaluations, participants indicated they would use ecological
principles in helping clients design farming systems and consider the social
implications. An Indiana Extension educator stated, "I always felt a
connection to natural resources, but my path seemed to put me in ag and
crops. Now, I see that it is feasible to combine them without losing respect
and profitability. It will be a goal to try and bring this information to my
county." 

When participants were asked what practical information they gained from the
workshop, some of the answers were:
 	Reinforcement of the importance of collaboration and networking
 	Resources and who to ask for more information
 	More knowledge for understanding others' points of view
 	Interrelationships among ecology-agriculture-social-political
 	Producer's experience in management
 	New learning techniques, e.g. gallery walk

Interest in the minigrant project was greater in 1997 than the two previous
years.  The goal of this part of the program is to enhance learning by
providing on-farm experience with various systems and by increasing the
exchange of ideas among agricultural professionals. A minigrant for
speaker(s) is funded up to $1,000, and the maximum for a special topic
training tour is $1,500. Educators with different affiliations are
encouraged to work together, and the activity must support the state plan.
Principal investigators submit a report that includes an evaluation and
suggestions for other trainers. 

Speakers and tours were funded in all twelve North Central states. Content
of the minigrants covered specific practices, learning methods, whole-farm
planning, and societal issues. The following list is a sample:
 	Low-investment, low-cost techniques for swine production
 	Integrated management of apples
 	Development and use of decision cases
 	Curriculum for agroecology
 	Holistic management
 	Application of Ontario's Environmental Farm Plan
 	Influence of biotechnologies on agriculture, the environment, and consumers
 	Role of local and regional food systems 

Besides workshops and minigrants, NCSATP personnel produce educational
materials, such as the 560-page resource notebook used at the workshops,
foster networking among trainers in sustainable agriculture, and give
presentations on the program within and outside of the region. The goals
remain the same: (1) develop and implement a comprehensive education program
for use throughout the region and (2) prepare a cadre of teachers to conduct
innovative training in their own states. 

*****************************************************************************
Heidi Carter					E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Education Coordinator				Phone:   402-472-0917
Center for Sustainable Agricultural Systems
University of Nebraska-Lincoln