Subject: Re: slater control

From: HELEN COLEMAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 21:07:11 +0800

Dear Tery,

Thankyou for your reply - I will try your suggestion next time I plant
seeds.  The best way I found to grow vegies was to grow them to a more
advanced stage in pots of rich soil, containing worm castings and compost.
I found that these older seedlings, when finally planted out, were far more
resistant to attacks by slaters (because they still had a chew), and I have
actually managed to get a crop of lettuce and broccoli by this technique.
But when I have to plant seeds, for such things as peas and beans, my crops
still vanish overnight.

Regards,
Helen

>in answer to your query re slater problems .slaters love dead and dying
>woody material try building a pile of loads of woody material nearby your
>veges not too close they may be attracted to that instead or baring that
>put plenty of woody mulch close to your veges it worked for me a few years
>ago
>yours in late ness 
>tery haven
>
>