Subject: Re: Re: slaters

From: Mitchell Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:08:52 -0700

>I'm not quit back yet, Vic. Still in Alice Springs till August. I still
>keep track of what's going on through Email. This is a town that really
>needs permaculture. Nobody grows anythinng here. It's hot, dry and dusty
>and I can't find anybody who is interested in improving things.
>
>Regards
>Mike Mattys

Hi 

Well, this is going to be my first response to this 'email convention' of sorts.
I live in Kalgoorlie and the mention of a hot, dry and dusty environ which Mike spoke
of is kindof familiar to me (not many people even have rainwater storage tanks).
Also which is a shame is that there are not a LOT of people interested in change
and are instead bent on ripping stuff out of the ground (namely gold or nickel) for
monetary gain. However recently I've been working on setting up a conservation society
in conjunction with the course I am studying (Dip. Environmental Technology). I was
looking at getting some information on arid lands permaculture by which to provide
information to the members and also the community around here. Could perhaps anyone
help me out with some literature or contacts? I am too new to permaculture to have
experimented successfully in an arid climate (the perm. cert. i am studying by distance
isn't going to deal much with arid areas either) and so would appreciate any input
greatly. OK that's it from me. Take care out there.

Mitch Jones.

Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere!
http://www.mailexcite.com