Subject: economic value of trees as providers of shade (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:48:01 WST

To: Recipients of CHRM-GENERAL <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <v01530501b0723d542e55@[192.203.176.154]>

I had a person ring me today.  His neighbour recently removed without
consent about 100 of his trees whilst repairing a boundary fence line
between each of them.  His question to me was, 'has anyone ever done an
economic value assessment of the shade provided by trees?', as he is
contemplating litigation.

Joel Salatin (Salad bar Beef, talks about the provision of shade on his
property, I know.

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce Ward
PO Box 984
Inverell   NSW   2360
AUSTRALIA

Ph (02) 6721 1105 - from outside Australia dial +61 2 6721 1105
Fx (02) 6721 1094 - from outside Australia dial +61 2 6721 1094

---

From: Martin Anda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:07:47 +0800

Some local government authorities require clearance before trees can be
removed.  Others identify trees as heritage value. i.e. there may be other
mechanisms for litigation in addition to economic value.  What shire was
the person in?

Cheers

Martin Anda
Research Associate
Remote Area Developments Group
Tel 61 8 9360 6399  Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Environmental Technology Centre
Tel 61 8 9360 6123 Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Murdoch University
Murdoch  WA  6150