Subject: Re: StopMAI Letter to PM and OECD (fwd) (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1988 08:08:39 WST

From: "Camilla M. Romund" <[email-masked]>
X-Sender: cmromund@comp

This is splendid news! for now. Does anyone out there know more about the
WWF's recent announcement concerning their global assessment that revealed
over 1/3rd of the world's natural resources have been destroyed during the
past 30 years?  I'd love to see a map of the major zones of destruction,
if one has been produced.  We can all guess that the tropical, third world
zone has been particularly hard hit...but anecdotally, I drove down the
western edge of the state of Arkansas yesterday and saw so much stepped up
logging truck traffic...and passed a stationary freight train with
probably 20 to 30 flatbeds piled high with pine trees (and I know this has
been going on since the first rail lines were installed)...but chip mills
are moving south after hitting the limits of private sources in the
Pacific NW of this nation...and all of the above is just more evidence
that America too is a colony just like third world nations.  We're
watching our natural resource base melt away...and the WTO wants to
accelerate the rate at which multinationals can carry out this insanity?
While at the same time resisting new laws that would prioritize non-virgin
materials, alternative energy solutions, alternative housing solutions,
alternative solid waste management, etc.  etc.  What madness is this? What
madness is this? On what planet do the speculators/industrialists/tree
fellers plan to enjoy their accumulated wealth?

The (myopic) wealthy in the U.S. bandy about a cutesy little bumper
sticker/slogan that says: "The one who dies with the most toys wins" 
Believe it or not.  I propose an alternative reading: "The planet that
dies with a few rich loses" 

On Wed, 26 Oct 1988, Victor Guest wrote:

> >From: "Brian Jenkins" <[email-masked]>
> >To: "Multiple WA contacts Stop MAI" <[email-masked]>
> >[Media release issued by Stop MAI, Australia)
> >
> >
> >23 October, 1998
> >
> >MAI "STEALTH TREATY" HAS DIED AT OECD FORUM
> >
> >"The Australian Stop MAI Campaign, with its world-wide counterparts,
> >welcomes the apparent collapse of the Multilateral Agreement on Investment
> Regards,
>           Vic
> --
> Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
> [email-masked]                 1 Annato Street Greenwood 6024 
>                 ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
> --: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:---
>               --:http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html:-
>           -----: Men Of The Trees, Holistic Management :------
>        ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling Landmark Education:------
>                 -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----
>                  http://www.eepo.com.au/~victor/
>    http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
>                Permaculture Convergence on line
>