Subject: [Fwd: [GAIA-L] Top USFS Biologist Blasts Agency Mismanagement (fwd)] (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:07:43 WST

Anyone interested in this subject see URLs.
Vic

 This came in on one of my other "lists".  I do not like to see grazing
"subsidized".  Do any holistic practitioners have any background
information on this USFS controversy?
__________________________________

In a 2-23-98 letter to the Chief of the U.S. Forest Service, the former
head of Threatened, Endangered and Sensitive Species for the Southwest
Region blasted the Forest Service for damaging watersheds, subsidizing
unsustainable grazing and logging, censoring critical reports, and
abusing dissenting biologists. Leon Fager, a 31 year Forest Service
veteran, called for the:

  -resignation of Jim Lloyd, Regional Director of Wildlife, Fish and
   Rare Plants,
  -resignation of John Bedell, Apache-Sitgreaves Forest Supervisor,
  -phasing out livestock grazing on Southwest National Forests, and
  -establishment of an independent scientific committee to review
   damaging effects of livestock on watersheds and sensitive species

See the letter: http://www.sw-center.org/swcbd/resources/fager.txt

See letter by former Deputy Forest Supervisor of the Apache-Sitgreave
National Forest, calling the livestock grazing program a comatose
patient whose plug should be pulled:
http://www.sw-center.org/swcbd/resources/barber.txt

Exerpts from the Fager letter:
***************************************************************************
This material came from PeaceNet, a non-profit progressive networking
service.  For more information, send a message to [email-masked]
***************************************************************************

--------------4EE964C76546287EA1721D72--