Subject: IPM biological info

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 07:28:57 WST

###############################[*]###############################
[ === =====\===  ===              ==   == =====         == /==\ ]
[  |  |    | |\  /|                |\   | |   \         / |     ]
[  |  |    | | \/ | |/=\  /==\ |=  | \  | |    \   |   /  |===\ ]
[  |  |====/ |    | |   | |==/ |   |  \ | |===  \ / \ /       | ]
[  |  |      |    | |   | |    |   |   \| |      \   /        | ]
[ === ==    ===  ====   = ===/ |/ ===   ======= === === \=====/ ]
[ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
[ IPMnet NEWS               March 1998             Issue no. 51 ]
[ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
[          IPMnet, the Global IPM Information Service,          ]
[          is sponsored, produced, and provided by the          ]
[         Consortium for International Crop Protection.         ]
###############################[*]###############################
           ..........................................
  "News-to-use for global IPM" *  Now received in 102 nations

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CONTENTS (4 sections)
--------------------------------
I.   IPM News
       - International IPM Communication Workshop Set 
       - Biocontrols Enhance Organic Potatoes
--------------------------------
II.  Research Review
       * FEATURED PAPERS
       * THIS MONTH'S SELECTED TITLES
--------------------------------
III. IPM Medley
       * QUOTES
       * IPMporium
       * PUBLICATIONS / PUBLICATION NOTES
       * OTHER RESOURCES
       * EQUIPMENT & MATERIALS
       * PROFESSIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
--------------------------------
IV.  IPMnet Calendar
       * IPMnet CALENDAR I: NEW or REVISED Entries
...............................................................

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  I.  IPM NEWS / APPLICATIONS
      --- international IPM news and programs
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

           * Biocontrols Enhance Organic Potatoes *
                    -------------------------
    A trial conducted on an organic farm in an arid section of
the western U.S. revealed that, when compared to an untreated
control, two biological treatments each reduced the impact of
Rhizoctonia stem and stolon canker of potatoes, a prevailing
problem in the area.
    The biological control materials _Burkholderia cepacia_ and
_Bacillus subtilis_ were used to treat potato seed pieces; both
biological treatments were tested as a seed piece drench and as a
direct in-furrow spray.
     Summarizing the research (as reported in SJV VEGETABLE CROPS
REPORT), plant pathologist J. Nunez noted that while the total
yield was not significantly increased by either treatment, the
quantity of unacceptable ("cull") potatoes was reduced compared
to untreated plots. An additional benefit: treated plots yielded
higher numbers of individually heavier, more market-desirable
potatoes.
             --excerpted from: SJV VEGETABLE CROPS REPORT,
               3(4), 10, Winter 1997-1998.

                               <#>

"Effect of Pesticide-treated Grass Clippings Used as a Mulch on
    Ornamental Plants," Branham, B.E., and D.W. Lickfeldt. *
    HORTSCI., 32(7), 1216-1219, December 1997.

Phytopathology
""""""""""""""
"Biology and Management of _Phytophthora_ spp. Attacking field
    Crops in Australia," Irwin, J.A.G. * AUSTRALASIAN PLANT
    PATH., 26(4), 207-216, 1997.
Entomology
""""""""""
"Acute and Sublethal Effects of a Neem Insecticide on the Commer-
    cial Biological Control Agents _Phytoseiulus persimilis_ and
    _Amblyseius cucumeris_ (Acari: Phytoseiidae) and _Aphidoletes
    aphidimyza_ (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae)," Spollen, K.M., and
    M.B. Isman. * JRNL. OF ECON. ENTOM., 89(6), 1379-1386,
    December 1996.
"Effects of Neem Plant (_Azadirachta indica_ Juss, Meliaceae)
    Products on Maize Grain Consumption by Three Common Rodent
    Pests in Kenya," Oguge, N., _et al_. * BELG. JRNL. OF ZOOL.,
    127(supp. 1), 129-135, 1997.

                               <#>

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 III. IPM MEDLEY
      --- general information, publications of interest, and
          other resources for IPM information
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                            --------
                          >> QUOTES <<
                            --------
    "A weed is a plant whose negative values outweigh its
     positive values, as judged by a human. Nature knows no
     weeds; identifying a plant as a weed is based on a hu-
     man attitude. A good manager realizes every species has
     some positive and negative values and makes a conscious
     decision about controlling it. (Please don't ask for a
     list of many virtues for Canada thistle)."
                    --A.P. Appleby, Oregon State Univ., USA.

                            ---------
                         >> IPMporium <<
                            ---------
... A study in Africa found that neem-based products signifi-
cantly lowered maize grain consumption by three rodent pests.
                                *
                            ---------
                      >> OTHER RESOURCES <<
                            ---------
__________________________
FRUIT TREE PEST MANAGEMENT   Washington State University (USA)
                             maintains a research and extension
center dedicated to fruit tree science that offers extensive crop
protection and IPM information. The Center's website includes re-
search data on insect and disease pests as well as other key
links and information resources.  FMI: G. Grove, WSU-TFREC,
1100 N. Western Avenue, Wenatchee, WA 98801, USA.
E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Fax: 1-509-662-8714.
Phone: 1-509-663-8181.  Website: <www.tfrec.wsu.edu>.  <#>
_____________________________
CONCERN FOR URBAN PESTICIDE USE    Biological Urban Gardening
                                   Services (BUGS) is a commer-
cial enterprise offering information devoted to reducing usage 
of agricultural chemicals in highly populated urban landscape
environments.  FMI: BUGS, PO Box 76, Citrus Heights, CA 95611,
USA.  E-mail: <[email-masked]>.

                               <#>

                            ---------
                >>>>> EQUIPMENT & MATERIALS <<<<<
                            ---------
_________________________________
PLANT STRESS DETECTION EYEGLASSES    Special eye-glasses that use
                                     a space-age technology allow
wearers to visually detect diseased, or otherwise stressed plants
not readily evident by natural eyesight. These "stress detection"
glasses block the green color reflected from chlorophyll found in
normal, healthy vegetation, and cause it to look black or gray.
In contrast, plants stressed by either insect and disease pests,
or drought, stand out as a different color that permits problem
areas to be more readily identified.  FMI: Spectrum Technologies,
23839 W. Andrew road, Plainfield, IL 60544, USA.
E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Fax: 1-815-436-4460.
Phone: 1-815-436-44000.  Website: <www.specmeters.com>.  <#>
______________________
INSECT LURES AND TRAPS   A Canadian firm offers a range of its
                         own proprietary pheromone lures and
insect traps as well as other pest management materials including
the joint Canadian/US/Mexican '2000' roach monitoring system with
several unique features including: dark color and physical shape
for effective attraction; environmental friendliness; ease of
use; and claimed reduced cost compared to other systems.  FMI:
Cooper Mill Ltd., RR3, Madoc, ONT. K0K 2K0, CANADA.  
E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Fax: 1-613-473-5080. 
Phone: 1-613-473-4847.  Website: <www.coopermill.com>.

                              <#>

                   --------------------------
                >> PROFESSIONAL OPPORTUNITIES <<
       (Appointments * Consulting * Research * Technology)
                   --------------------------
                      # IPMnet's Sponsor #
                       ++++++++++++++++++
    IPMnet is a free global IPM information service sponsored
by the Consortium for International Crop Protection (CICP).
    The Consortium, 12 educational/research institutions with
strong interests in development, research, and productive ap-
plication of rational crop protection and pest management, has
been an international presence for over 20 years. Current members
are: Univ. of California, Cornell Univ., Univ. of Florida, Univ.
of Hawaii, Univ. of Illinois, Univ. of Minnesota, North Carolina
State Univ., Oregon State Univ., Univ. of Puerto Rico, Purdue
Univ., Texas A&M Univ., and the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture.
    R.E. Ford (Univ. of Illinois) chairs CICP's Board of Direc-
tors, J.D. Harper (N. Carolina State Univ.) is Vice chairman,
G.L. Teetes (Texas A&M Univ.) is Treasurer, and G.A. Schaefers
(Cornell Univ.) serves as Executive Director. B.D. Russell is
Assistant to the Director.
    The Consortium maintains its administrative office at:
        CICP, Cornell Univ., NYSAES, Geneva, NY 14456-0462, USA.
        E-mail: <[email-masked]>.   Phone: 1-315-787-2252.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    IPMnet's Web page and computer server are administered by
R.E. Stinner (N. Carolina State Univ.).  E-mail: <[email-masked]>.

#------------------------------{*}------------------------------#
| * The IPMnet NEWS ......                                      |
| .....is sponsored, produced, and provided by CICP. Mention    |
| of specific products, processes, institutions, organiza-      |
| tions, or individuals in the IPMnet NEWS does not imply       |
| support nor criticism by CICP, nor any individual associ-     |
| ated with CICP, nor any of its member institutions. Infor-    |
| mation in IPMnet NEWS may be reprinted or quoted PROVIDED     |
| that the IPMnet NEWS is fully identified as the source.       |
|                  -------------------------                    |
| * CICP Newsletter Advisory Committee .....                    |
| J.D. Harper, chair, <[email-masked]>; A. Alvarez, and  |
| D.W. Dickson; M. Kogan, and G.A. Schaefers (ex-officio).      |
|                  -------------------------                    |
| * IPMnet NEWS Coordinator/Editor - A.E. Deutsch               |
|                  -------------------------                    |
| * Contributions to the IPMnet NEWS .....                      |
| ..... short news items describing experiences, successes,     |
| problems, and solutions, plus viewpoints (pro and con), and   |
| IPM-related opinion statements from individuals,              |
| organizations, and institutions engaged in any aspect of      |
| crop protection--especially IPM--are welcome.                 |
|                 -------------------------                     |
| * Subscribe / Unsubscribe ....                                |
| ..... send the message "subscribe," or "unsubscribe," to:     |
| <[email-masked]> and include an e-mail address.       |
|                 -------------------------                     |
| * IPMnet NEWS Mailing List ....                               |
| ..... is a PRIVATE list and is neither rented, sold, nor      |
| authorized for use by any institution, organization, or       |
| individual beside the Consortium for International Crop       |
| Protection, which highly values and respects the confidence   |
| of its global readership.                                     |
|                 -------------------------                     |
| * Communicating with IPMnet NEWS .....                        |
| E-mail --> <[email-masked]> (preferred)               |
| Fax -----> 1-541-737-3080      Phone ---> 1-541-737-6275      |
| Postal --> IPMnet NEWS, c/o Integrated Plant Prot. Center     |
|            2040 Cordley Hall, Oregon State University         |
|            Corvallis, OR 97331-2915, USA                      |
#------------------------------{*}------------------------------# !