Subject: Carbon Credits (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 12:13:29 WST

Reply-To: Conference "chrm.general" <[email-masked]>

From: [email-masked]

About 12 months ago there was a discussion between Jody Butterfield and =
Noel McNaughton with respect to carbon sequestration and oil/gas =
companies buying carbon credits from farmers who are able to effectively =
store carbon in their soil and vegetation resources.

I am familiar with the carbon sequestration research proposed by the =
Center, but I am interestes to know if the proposal to establish trading =
carbon credits in Canada has proceeded.

The peak farmer organisation in NSW, the NSW Farmer's Assocoation, has =
put the issue of carbon credits on its agenda at their annual conference =
later this month, and any updated information that may be available on =
this important issue would be greatly appreciated.

Rick Colless
SPA Nutrition Pty Ltd
P.O. Box 704
INVERELL   NSW   2360
Australia
Tel: +61 2 6723 2924
Fax:  +61 2 6723 2869

---

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 09:53:22 WST

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Carbon Credits
To: Recipients of CHRM-GENERAL <[email-masked]>

Hello all,
A few details about some happenings with carbon credits in Australia:

First carbon credit trade in Australia signed by NSW Premier on June 4. Pacific Power (electricity distributor) purchased the carbon rights to 100ha of Government owned State Forest's hardwood plantations on NSW North Coast.

In Western Australia the govt has recently started a program where farmers are paid $250 per hectare (2.5 acres) to grow trees. The program is being funded by private investments in an attempt to offset greenhouse gas emissions. The goal is 400,000 ha - currently 15,000 participants with 100,000 ha by the end of the year.

Another scheme in NSW involves State Forests paying private landholders an annuity in the form of annual sum of $3200 for 40 ha. for plantations on their property - only where rainfall is greater than 900 mm p.a. (36").

Toyota are planning to plant forests all around the world - I presume this involves carbon credits but don't know the details - does anyone else? 

Cheers, 

Mark Rowe