Subject: rodent vs.Robinia pseudo-acacia (var. Haudenosaunee)

From: William Bryan Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 11:03:08 -0800

I'm planning on starting a woodlot here in Southern California
(three miles from Mexico and 35 miles from Pacific Ocean  750meters
above sea level).  The site was covered with chapparal until a fire went
through 2 years ago.  I'd like to plant Black Locust.  This particular
strain (Haudenosaunee) is noted for its excurrent nature.  Since Locust
is very rot resistant and strong (so I have read) I figure this should
be a valuable commodity in a few years or so.  THe trees also send out
suckers and sprouts anew after logging.  Ammending the soil I have no
problem with(calcitic lime and kelp), it is all those burrowing critters
that have me worried.  I know that above ground I'll have to provide a
screen barrier to keep Bugs Bunny and friends at bay, It's below ground
I'm not to sure about.  I plan on setting out established trees in one
maybe three gallon cans in a couple of seasons.  Any thoughts on rodents
attraction to roots would be greatly appreaciated.(The ground is
pockmarked with burrows).  
  note: source for this seed is in New York State, I will post it as
soon as I clean my desk, sorry.    

                                      Sincerely Bill Evans