Subject: IPMnet NEWS #57, September '98 (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 10:45:52 WST

To: [email-masked]
Subject: IPMnet NEWS #57, September '98

-----------------------------------
Edited
Vic
__________________________________

###############################[*]###############################
[ === =====\===  ===              ==   == =====         == /==\ ]
[  |  |    | |\  /|                |\   | |   \         / |     ]
[  |  |    | | \/ | |/=\  /==\ |=  | \  | |    \   |   /  |===\ ]
[  |  |====/ |    | |   | |==/ |   |  \ | |===  \ / \ /       | ]
[  |  |      |    | |   | |    |   |   \| |      \   /        | ]
[ === ==    ===  ====   = ===/ |/ ===   ======= === === \=====/ ]
[ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
[ IPMnet NEWS            September 1998            Issue no. 57 ]
[ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
[       The Consortium for International Crop Protection        ]
[            produces and provides IPMnet NEWS as a             ]
[       free, electronic global IPM Information resource.       ]
###############################[*]###############################

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CONTENTS (in 4 sections)
--------------------------------
I.   IPM News
       - Australia Unveils National Ag-vet Chemicals Strategy
       - Study Reports U.S. Pest Management Practices
--------------------------------
II.  IPM Medley
       - Pest Management History
       - IPMporium
       * PUBLICATIONS -- CDs -- PUBLICATION & CD NOTES
       * OTHER RESOURCES
--------------------------------
III. Research/Technical Papers ... new "author address" service
       * FEATURED PAPER
       * SELECTED TITLES
--------------------------------
IV. IPMnet Calendar
       * IPMnet CALENDAR 1: NEW or REVISED Entries
................................................................
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  I.  IPM NEWS / APPLICATIONS
      --- international IPM news and programs
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

       * AUSTRALIA UNVEILS NATIONAL AG-VET CHEMICALS STRATEGY *
                     -------------------------
   As a major global producer and exporter of primary produce, and to
ensure protection of human health and the environment, AUSTRALIA has
developed and recently made public a forward-looking national strategy
for managing agricultural and veterinary (ag-vet) chemicals so as to:
ensure long-term sustainability of agricultural productivity; minimize
risks to health, the environment, and trade; and, best contribute to
national prosperity.

   The comprehensive national strategy is built on a foundation of
nine action points covering a variety of issues and including a clear
call for reducing reliance on chemicals through development and adop-
tion of IPM involving integration of various pest management tactics.
Another key point promotes the "development and adoption of integrat-
ed farm, forest, and natural resource planning and management systems
(including catchment management) that minimize adverse impacts and use
chemicals only as needed."

   The points, as well as the extensive process followed to gather
stakeholder opinions prior to preparing the strategy, are fully set
forth in a handsome, succinctly organized publication, MANAGEMENT OF
AGRICULTURAL AND VETERINARY CHEMICALS: A NATIONAL STRATEGY. The 60-
page, softbound, 1998 work includes full color plates and an appealing
design to explain the vision, goals, and need for the strategy. The
publication is intended as a bridge to implement the strategy and a
road map so all involved can contribute to an ag-vet chemical use
focused on a modern national consensus. The strategy document (in
electronic form) is available on the web at:
      <www.dpie.gov.au/dpie/armcanz/mavc/agvet.pdf>.

   For hard copies, or more information, contact: P.C. Rowland,
Bureau of Resource Sciences, PO Box E11, Kingston, ACT 2604,
AUSTRALIA.  E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Fax: 61-2-6272-4896.
Phone: 61-2-6272-3443.
       --based on material generously provided by P.C. Rowland.  <#>

          * STUDY REPORTS U.S. PEST MANAGEMENT PRACTICES *
  
======================
INSECT-RESISTANT CROPS
----------------------
    Because of its entomological focus, GLOBAL PLANT GENETIC RESOURCES
FOR INSECT-RESISTANT CROPS, is said to be a unique addition to the
massive existing body of literature regarding the importance and use
of genetic materials. In this 1998 work, editors S.L. Clement and S.S.
Quisenberry organized the text as crop-based chapters to convey the
message that germplasm stocks are an indispensable resource for sci-
entists to utilize in insect resistance evaluation. A distinguished
group of specialists contributed to the 295-pg., hardbound volume
that views cereal, legume, vegetable, and root/tuber crops.  FMI:
CRC Press, 2000 Corporate Blvd., NW, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA.
E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Fax: 1-561-998-9114.
Phone: 1-561-994-0555.  Web: <www.crcpress.com>.  <#>

WEED ACTIVITY CALENDAR    The Australian Cooperative Research Centre
                          (CRC) for Weed Management Systems has
launched a web-based WEED ACTIVITY CALENDAR listing conferences and
other events for agricultural and environmental weeds in Australia and
overseas. The calendar is the work of K. Blood and R. Randall and can
be found at: <www.agric.wa.gov.au/progserv/Plants/weeds/calendar>.
FMI: K. Blood, CRC, Keith Turnbull Research Institute, PO Box 48,
Frankston, VIC. 3199, AUSTRALIA.  E-mail: <[email-masked]>
Fax: 61-03-9785-2007.  Phone: 61-03-9785-0128.

                                 <#>

Nematology
""""""""""
"Biological Control of Plant-parasitic Nematodes by Neem Products in
    Agricultural Soil," Akhtar, M. * APPL. SOIL ECOL., 7(3), 219-224,
    March 1998.  ##

Vertebrates
"""""""""""
"Anthraquinone Protects Rice Seed from Birds," Avery, M.L., _et al_. *
    CROP PROT., 17(3), 225-230, May 1998.  ##

"Efficacy of Common Protection Devices in Preventing Night-time Damage
    of Cabbage Crops by Spot-billed Ducks in Japan," Lane, S.J., and
    H. Higuchi. * INTL. JRNL. OF PEST MAN., 44(1), 29-34, January-
    March 1998.  ##

"The Control of Rodent Damage in Australian Macadamia Orchards by
    Manipulation of Adjacent Non-crop Habitats," White, J., _et al_.
    * CROP PROT., 17(4), 353-358, June 1998.  ##

                                <#>