Subject: =NEW= Learning guide: Developing technology with farmers (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:10:09 WST

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Available from:
>ZED Books, 7 Cynthia St, London N1 9JF, UK (fax +44-171-8333960), or
>
>St Martin's Press, 175 Fifth Ave, New York, NY 10010, USA
>
>And Amazon.com:
><http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=3D1856494896/9410-4319718-885437>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>DEVELOPING TECHNOLOGY WITH FARMERS
>A Trainer's Guide for Participatory Learning
>Laurens van Veldhuizen, Ann Waters-Bayer, Henk de Zeeuw, ETC Netherlands
>
>This manual is written for trainers in governmental and non-governmental
>development organizations who are preparing their staff to work together
>with farmers in developing technologies appropriate to ecological
>agriculture and using few external inputs. The training is designed to
>stimulate active learning by participants who draw on their own
>experience, an approach which mirrors the type of interaction between
>facilitator and farmers in Participatory Technology Development (PTD).
>
>PTD in agriculture is a process of interaction between local people and
>outside facilitators to develop more sustainable farming systems. It
>starts with a joint analysis of the situation, an activity commonly known
>as Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA). It continues by including
>participatory planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of local
>development activities. The heart of PTD is experimentation with new ideas
>designed and conducted by farmers with the encouragement of PTD
>practitioners.
>
>Each of the four parts of the book contains learning units in which key
>concepts are explained and learning modules are presented, together with
>sample overheads, cases, games, role-plays etc. The book grew out of an
>international workshop of PTD trainers working in developing countries,
>and has been field-tested by trainers over the past five years.
>
>Contents
>1. Basic Orientation and Skills
>2. Towards an Agenda for Action
>3. Farmers' Experimentation
>4. Spreading and Consolidating the PTD Process
>
>Development Studies/Agriculture/Science and Technology
>Hb 1 85649 489 6 =A3 39.95 $59.95   Pb 1 85649 490 X =A3 8.95 $15.00
>230 pp Illustrations 297 x 210 mm
>
>
>**************************************************************************
>Dr Ann Waters-Bayer
>ETC-Netherlands
>Rohnsweg 56, D-37085 Goettingen, Germany
>Tel. +49-551-485751/86, Fax 47948
>Email: [email-masked]
>**************************************************************************
>

***************************
Nancy Grudens Schuck
Doctoral Candidate

Department of Education
119 Kennedy Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853
U.S.A.

E-mail: [email-masked]
=46AX: (607) 255-7905

***************************