Subject: Community Food Security Workshop Announcement (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:56:56 WST

From: Marla Rhodes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]

             NEW ENGLAND COMMUNITY FOOD SECURITY TRAINING WORKSHOP
                   THEME:  EMPOWERMENT THROUGH COLLABORATION
               Sponsored by the Community Food Security Coalition
   -----------------------------------------------------------------

DATE:  MARCH 20, 1998   8:30 AM - 4:00 PM

LOCATION:  Waltham Field Station, 240 Beaver Street, Waltham, MA 

WHO SHOULD ATTEND:  Anyone interested in, or working on
community-based food, nutrition, farming or related projects, and/or
planning to submit a Community Food Projects grant proposal.

AGENDA:  

8:30 - 9:00:  Registration and Continental Breakfast

9:00 - 10:00:  Community food security: Concepts & action principles.  
       Main theme: collaboration through community planning and        
       coalition building.  Presenters: Mark Winne and Hugh Joseph

10:00 - 11:00 - Group discussions:  

       Your community's food system: What's your vision of a food      
       secure community and a sustainable food system?  How can        
       collaboration help get it there?

11:00 - 11:30 - Presentations on emerging community food coalitions:

       *  The Maine Community Food Security Coalition - Jim Hanna
       *  The Boston Urban Agriculture Alliance - Glynn Lloyd

11:30 - 12:30: Lunch and Slide Presentation:

       The Hartford Food System - Effective collaboration:             
       achievements and challenges.  Presenter: Mark Winne  

12:30 - 2:00:  USDA Community Food Projects 1998 RFP - Overview with   
       emphasis on developing successful proposals.  Discussion of     
       your specific proposal ideas and questions.

2:00 - 4:00  Breakout meetings:

       1. The Northeast Partnership - a follow up of the Portland      
       meeting held last fall, to discuss ways to collaborate and T&TA 
       needs to further this process.

       2. A community food system collaboration for Boston?  This will 
       be a discussion of needs, opportunities, and strategies for     
       possible formation of a Greater Boston food system coalition.  

       oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DIRECTIONS TO WALTHAM FIELD STATION (WFS):

By car: 
WFS is on Beaver Street at the corner of Route 60 in Waltham.

   From Route 95 (128):  Take Trapelo Road exit (28) going east toward
Waltham, about 4 miles, to route 60.  Turn right on Route 60 and go to
the first light, which is Beaver St.  Turn right again, and WFS is on
the left about 100 yards down Beaver St., in a red brick building. 
Park on the premises.

  From Cambridge, take Mt. Auburn onto Belmont St., which turns into
Trapelo Rd.  Follow to Route 60 (Waverly Oaks), and go left to Beaver
St. Go right 100 yards to WFS on left.

Public Transport:  

WFS is hard to reach by bus or train.  From Harvard Square subway you
can take the #73 bus (Waverly) to Waverly Square.  At Waverly Square,
cross the street and take the 584 bus (Bentley College) to Beaver St. 
It runs hourly; specifically, in the morning, it leaves the square at
8:10 AM, 9:10 AM, 10:10 AM, etc.    

Shuttle from subway:  

We will arrange shuttle bus pickup from Alewife MBTA (Red Line) at
8:30 and 9:00 AM to take you directly to WFS.  Return at 4:00 PM or
per arrangements made at the meeting.  Please let us know if you want
to use this shuttle.

Etc.
    Vic