Subject: detailed description and fruyit, flower, leaf images of 250 (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:23:53 WST

ORIGINALLY From [email-masked] Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:54:12 WST remote from eepo
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Originator: ag-impact
Sender: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:33:21 -0600
From: Shahrokh Khanizadeh <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Subject: detailed description and fruyit, flower, leaf images of 250
X-Listprocessor-Version: 6.0 -- ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas
X-Comment:  Agricultural and Environmental Impact list

To those intetested in apple research and appe database

New Book in English and French
"Our Apples"
Our Apples is the most authoritative illustrated book of apple varieties 
yet produced.  It describes 254 apple varieties grown in Eastern and 
Central Canada.  It also gives a list of alternate names which have been 
used to describe these varieties over time.  The book will prove useful to 
those involved in apple growing and culture and to apple breeders who need 
regional information to help in the selection of breeding parents. The 
presence of more than 400 high quality images of fruits, flowers and 
leaves along with a detailed written description of each variety makes 
this book a useful tool for identifying apple cultivars. Symbols have been 
added to quickly distinguish cultivars with specific characteristics such 
as winter hardiness, apple scab resistance, McIntosh type fruit, and 
usefulness as rootstocks or ornamentals.  Varieties which can be used to 
make juice or cider, and those useful for processing have also been 
identified by a symbol. Additional information is available at
 http://www.pgris.com

"Les Pommiers de chez nous"
Les Pommiers de chez nous est, de tous les livres illustrés sur les 
variétés de pommier, celui qui fait le plus autorité sur le sujet. Les 
auteurs y décrivent 254 variétés de pommier cultivées dans l'est et le 
centre du Canada et fournissent une liste des noms utilisés dans le passé 
pour désigner ces variétés. Le livre sera utile à tous ceux et celles qui 
travaillent dans le domaine de la culture des pommiers ainsi qu'aux 
sélectionneurs ayant besoin d'information à caractère régional pour le 
choix des variétés à croiser.Grâce à plus de 400 images de haute qualité 
illustrant les fruits, les fleurs et les feuilles et à une description 
détaillée de toutes les variétés, ce livre constituera un outil fort utile 
pour l'identification des cultivars. Des symboles permettent en outre de 
distinguer rapidement les variétés ayant des propriétés particulières, 
telles qu'une bonne rusticité, une résistance à la tavelure, un fruit de 
type McIntosh, ou une aptitude à servir de porte-greffeou
 d'arbre ornemental. D'autres symboles indiquent si le fruit convient à la 
transformation ou à la production de jus ou de cidre.  Pour de plus amples 
renseignements, visiter le site http://www.pgris.com 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                !
   !