Subject: IPMnet NEWS #55, July '98 (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:11:12 WST

Selected items of interest to Permies.

###############################[*]###############################
[ === =====\===  ===              ==   == =====         == /==\ ]
[  |  |    | |\  /|                |\   | |   \         / |     ]
[  |  |    | | \/ | |/=\  /==\ |=  | \  | |    \   |   /  |===\ ]
[  |  |====/ |    | |   | |==/ |   |  \ | |===  \ / \ /       | ]
[  |  |      |    | |   | |    |   |   \| |      \   /        | ]
[ === ==    ===  ====   = ===/ |/ ===   ======= === === \=====/ ]
[ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
[ IPMnet NEWS               July 1998              Issue no. 55 ]
[ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
[       The Consortium for International Crop Protection        ]
[            produces and provides IPMnet NEWS as a             ]
[       free, electronic global IPM Information resource.       ]
###############################[*]###############################

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CONTENTS (in 3 sections - this issue)
--------------------------------
I.   IPM News
            ---------
                          >> IPMporium <<
                             ---------
... Scientists working in the U.S. state of Florida have developed
mechanisms that cause plants to evoke protective compounds which help
ameliorate potentially destructive diseases or thwart other pests.
                                 *
... _Rodolia limbata_, a ladybird beetle from northern Australia, has
proven to be an effective biocontrol agent for keeping breadfruit
mealybugs (_Icerya_ spp.) in check on Pacific atolls. 
                                 *
... The California Pear Advisory Board is providing over US$200,00
for insect and disease research in 1998, with emphasis on mating
disruption and other IPM strategies.

                                <#>
BIOCONTROL RESEARCH INNOVATION
------------------------------
    Under the banner "Innovation in Biological Control Research," the
PROCEEDINGS OF THE CALIFORNIA CONFERENCE ON BIOLOGICAL CONTROL, con-
vened in June 1998 at the Univ. of California, Berkeley, presents 61
papers describing current investigation of biocontrol ranging from
vertebrates to diseases. The softbound, 245-page work was edited by
M.S. Hoddle.  FMI: M.S. Hoddle, Dept. of Entomology, Univ. of Califor-
nia, Riverside, CA 92521-0314, USA.  E-mail: <[email-masked]>. 
Fax: 1-909-787-3086.  Phone: 1-909-787-4714.   <#>
BIOCONTROL PRIMER AND CATALOG
-----------------------------
    Billed as "the original bio-control primer," THE GREEN METHODS
MANUAL takes a light-hearted and informative view of how to carry out
biocontrol while simultaneously offering readers a wide selection of
the needed equipment and materials (via mail-order). The 238-page,
softbound work by M.S. Cherim (edition IV for 1998) is a graphically
attractive work. Readers, once they get past the manual's reference to
"bugs," its breezy text style, and its clear anti-chemical bias, can
find considerable useful information.  FMI: The Green Spot, Ltd.,
Publishing Division, 93 Priest Road, Nottingham, NH 03290-6204, USA.
Fax: 1-603-942-8932.  E-mail: <[email-masked]>.
Phone: 1-603-942-8925.   <#>

==============================
A REVIEW OF INSECTS AND PLANTS
------------------------------
    A 1998 work, INTERRELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INSECTS AND PLANTS, by
P. Jolivet, aims to summarize in an understandable way the basis of
food selection among insects and to review the various aspects of
their relationships with plants. The hardbound, 309-page volume also
discusses plant adaptations and "behavior" in response to insects.
Line drawings and an exhaustive reference list are included.  FMI: CRC
Press, 2000 Corporate Boulevard N.W., Boca Raton, FL 33431-9868, USA. 
E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Fax 1-561-998-9114.
Phone: 1-561-994-0555.  Website: <www.crcpress.com>.   <#>
                              ---------
                       >> OTHER RESOURCES <<
                             ---------
______________________________
IPM ELECTRONIC DATABASE GROWS     With a goal of promoting global IPM
                                  development and adoption through
rapid access to information scattered all across the Internet, the
DATABASE OF IPM RESOURCES (DIR) now receives 1,400 "hits" daily and
serves more than 100 users every day, according to an independent
report from Webtrends. DIR, sponsored by the Consortium for Inter-
national Crop Protection, has proven to be extremely reliable; of
the 335,000 "hits" during the 8-month period surveyed, less than 3
percent failed. DIR has collected several internet awards along the
way and has become a keystone for electronic IPM information delivery.
DIRmeister W.I. Bajwa continues to add links and install new wrinkles
to make searching and finding information even faster and less tedi-
ous. DIR can be found, and used, at: <www.IPMnet.org/DIR>.   <#>
________________
NEMATODE CONTROL   Among several publications offered on-line by ATTRA
                   (Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas),
a U.S. government funded program, ALTERNATIVE NEMATODE CONTROL offers
useful information on a class of widely disbursed pests. Ten sections
cover a range of options from prevention to flooding. The file can be
found at: <www.attra.org/attra-pub/nematode.html>. Or, contact: ATTRA,
PO Box 3657, Fayetteville, AR 72702, USA.  Fax: 1-501-442-9842.   <#>
____________________
WEED BIOCONTROL DATA    A new website from Canada is devoted to "Bio-
                        logical Control of Weeds Using Insects and
Mites," and was prepared by A. McClay, _et al_. The text and photos
cover nine target weed species, predominantly species introduced 
from Europe. Contact: A. McClay, Alberta Research Council, Bag 4000,
Vegreville, AL T9C 1T4, CANADA.  E-mail: <[email-masked]>.
Fax: 1-403-632-8612.  Phone: 1-403-632-8207.  The resource's website
is: <www.arc.ab.ca/crop/weed/BiocontrolMain.html>.

                                 <#>