Subject: Re: Cattail Control (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:27:56 WST

Cattails are, to my belief, wild. They are all over the Valley here. They
can quickly fill up ponds and have to be dug out with a backhoe. From what
you said earlier, I thought you knew of a natural means of control.

Barbara

We do have an algae problem as well, but are about 1 1/2 miles from the
national forest. The water is as clean as it gets. We can't figure it out. I
even had algae under the ice on my pond this winter. And it's now in all our
irrigation ditches. 

At 02:14 AM 3/11/98, you wrote:
>>VIC
>>
>>How can I find out about vegetation that keeps cattails out? We have a
>>continuing problem here with our ponds and cattails. Could you give me a
>>lead for follow-up?
>
>I have read about reed bed technology, which is about taking artificial
>fertilisers out of streams etc. by putting the water into shallow ponds, 
>which have plants in them which grab the phosphorous etc. and when the water
>re-enters the stream it is cleaned of the nutrients which generate things 
>like algae (toxic bloom). In the Tyre ponds we put around gardens etc there 
>are water plants which will produce nitogen for the garden. They are also
> there for frogs which will eat slugs and snails etc. etc.
>I am guessing at what Cattails are but if they don't grow in natural streams
>then it suggests artificial nutrients may be the culprit. Permaculture 
>principals suggest putting an element into the enviroment which is useable
>and has added benifits as mulch, fertiliser, and changes the water so that 
>cattails wont grow in the pure water.
>Regards,
>          Vic
>--
>Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
>[email-masked]                 1 Annato Street Greenwood 6024 
>                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
>--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:---
>              --:http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html:-
>          -----: Men Of The Trees, Holistic Management :------
>       ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling Landmark Education:------
>                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----
>                 http://www.eepo.com.au/~victor/
>   http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
>               Permaculture Convergence on line

---

From: Martin Anda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:01:13 +0800

Vic

Cattail (bulrush?) I believe are a species of Typha either domingus or
orientalis the former native the latter introduced.

We have installed constructed wetlands (reed beds) at our Centre for
wastewater treatment.  Come and have a look.  They receive effluent from
and ablutions facility we have recently built.

Ross Mars and I will be running a greywater recycling course on May 2 at
the ETC.  $60.  We will cover 'reed beds'.  I will circulate a complete
program on the list shortly.

All the best.

Martin Anda
Research Associate
Remote Area Developments Group (http://wwwies.murdoch.edu.au/radg.html)
Appropriate Technology for Remote Indigenous Communities
Tel 61 8 9360 2896  Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Environmental Technology Centre (http://wwwies.murdoch.edu.au/etc.html)
Environmental Technologies for Sustainable Development
Tel 61 8 9360 6123 Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Murdoch University
Murdoch  WA  6150