Subject: antibiotics and human health (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 02:32:07 WST

Please reply to Perma and Connie. I would like to know more about this.
I know of claims that the reason we were becoming resistent to antibiotics
was that cattle and poultry were fed with antibiotics to counteract poor
hygene in overcrowded environments.

Vic
-------------------------snip---------------------------
From: Connie Falk <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Hi. Does anyone have any web or other kinds of references regarding the
relationship between subtherapeutic use of antibiotics in animal feed and
human health?  Are there scientific studies that link human consumption of
such meat to reduced effectiveness of antibiotics used to treat human health
problems? How do different instructors in sustainable agriculture approach
this topic? Thanks! Connie Falk
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Constance L. Falk
Associate Professor
Dept. Ag. Econ. & Ag. Bus.
New Mexico State University