Subject: NAS forum: The Future Role of Pesticides in US (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:30:20 WST

From: "John Vickery" <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>

Ag-Impact community:

Below is an excerpt of a letter taken from the National Academy of Science, 
Board of Agriculture website.  The letter announce's a forum on the Future
 Role of Pesticides in US Agriculture to take place on March 23.   "Experts 
and interested parties" are invited to provide written or oral responses to 
six questions.

Two of the questions have some relevancy to our "measurement crowd"--to 
environmental impact assessment:

4) What impact could the Food Quality Protection Act have on future 
pesticide use and availability (e.g., tolerances; aggregate exposure; 
endocrine disruptors; and minor use pesticides)?

5) How could other concerns (e.g., food quality and availability; food 
safety; and environmental quality) affect future role of chemical 
pesticides?

for details, see: 

http://www2.nas.edu/ba/214a.html

cordially, john

**********

March 6, 1998

Dear Colleague:

The National Research Council's Committee on the Future Role of Pesticides 
in U.S. Agriculture is seeking the views of experts and interested parties 
on several issues relating to future pesticide use and research to support
 the development of new chemical pesticides. To assist us in our information

gathering process, the committee invites you to respond to the questions 
listed below. 

The Committee extends an invitation to you to register to provide comments 
and testimony to the committee at a public meeting to be held on March, 
23, 1998 in Washington, D.C. at the National Academy of Sciences, Green 
Building, 2001 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W. from 8:30 am-4:30 pm. At this meeting,
 space is limited and registration for the meeting will be on a first-come, 
first-served basis. If you wish to make remarks during the time reserved 
for public comment, please call Mary Jane Letaw at (202) 334-3062 or email 
[email-masked].

The committee is performing a study to determine the circumstances under 
which chemical pesticides may be needed in diverse agricultural production 
systems. The committee will write a report with recommendations on research
 required to support the use and development of new chemical compounds or 
alternatives to chemical pesticides, and public and private sector roles 
in that endeavor. During its deliberations, the committee will explore 
pesticide benefits and costs of pesticide use, and investigate 
opportunities to reduce risks to human health and the environment. The 
U. S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 
have provided support for this National Research Council study.

*********

John Vickery, Senior Associate

     Environment & Agriculture

Institute for Agriculture & Trade Policy

2105 1st Ave., S., Minneapolis, MN  55404-2505

612-870-3430; FAX -4846    [email-masked]

<underline><color><param>0000,0000,fefe</param>http://www.iatp.org

</color></underline>