Subject: Inspired Undergrad Searching for Summer Internship! (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:06:31 WST

From: Craig Russell Skipton <[email-masked]>
To: Cornell Listserve <[email-masked]>

Hello to All!

My name is Craig. I'm a senior undergraduate student at Huxley College of
Environmental Studies, of Western Washington University in Bellingham,
Washington, (a wonderful town nestled between the foothills of the Cascade
Range and Puget Sound). I am currently in search of an internship for the
summer of 1998: agroecology, permaculture, sustainable systems,
organic farming.

Last year I completed a course in Agroecology and Sustainable Agriculture
taught by Prof. Dr. Gigi Berardi. My eyes were opened to the world of
sustainable systems. Since then my interests have flourished and my thirst for
information is unsatiable.  

Interests:
   Organic farming. 
   Small scale sustainable organic farming (Horticulture/Agriculture).
   Learning and assisting with current methods of production.
   Establishing networks for local and regional indigenous knowledge
    distribution.
   Modes of developing Community Supported Agriculture (CSA).
   Gaining further knowledge in the processes and workings within the
    spectrum of applications and implications of Organic (Alternative or
    Low-input or Regenerative ) farming.
Relevant Skills:
   Completed course study in Agroecology, Botany, Zoology, Flowering plant
    Biology, Ecology, Inorganic and Organic chemistry, and Biostatistics, 
    Geography of Soils.
   Familiar with small scale horticultural/gardening practices.
   Greenhouse maintenance (trimming, weeding, watering)

Useful material from Argoecology and Sustainable Agriculture course:
   Direct experience with principles and fundamentals of Agroecology
   Proficiency in ecological concepts applied to the design and management
    of sustainable food production systems and technologies, policies that
    promote soil, water and resource conservation.
   Familiarization with recent agroecology, sustainable, and regenerative
    literature and discussions 
   Field assessments of  "conventional" versus "alternative" agriculture.
   Development of a utilizable farm plan for a local farm. 

Thanks for providing such a wonderful medium for me to extend my search!
If there is anyone or anybody that has question or comments in regards to
my search please let me know!

Address: 2209 G st. #4. Bellingham, WA. 98225
e-mail: [email-masked]

Thanks again.

Craig Skipton
November 17, 1997

---

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:48:00 WST

From: [email-masked] (Steve McLaskey)
To: [email-masked]

Craig,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. My e-mail access has been
down. I'm glad to hear of your interest in an internship in sustainable
agriculture. I lived in Bellingham for a year and in Mt. Vernon, about 30
miles south of there for many years.  Now I'm developing a program in
sustainable agriculture at Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield,
Iowa.  I am planning an internship program that should be in place by next
summer.  It will include classes in organic vegetable production and
agricultural ecology as well as field-work in the University's organic
vegetable farm. The program will give credit at the undergraduate level for
the courses that are offered. More classes and undergraduate credit may not
be what you are looking for if you are ready to graduate from WWU. However,
if you are interested, let me know and I can keep you informed. The program
is still being developed and there are many details still to be worked out.
If you know of any other students that may be interested, please let them
know or have them contact me.

Steve

Steve McLaskey
Dept. of Biology
Maharishi University of Management
Fairfield, IA 52557
[email-masked]
Office: 515-472-7000 extension 3307
Home: 515-472-6823