Subject: Re: Bio-solids WWW site.

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:55:59 WST

From: "Kathy E. Gill" <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Bio-solids
X-Listprocessor-Version: 6.0 -- ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas
X-Comment:  Agricultural and Environmental Impact list

I've only lurked here for quite some time ... but John, what exactly do you
mean by "go down the drain"? LOTS of chemicals go down the drain from
households. Very few do from industrial facilities -- they have to have
permits to dischage.

The testing of biosolids differs by state ...and differs by the end-use of
the material (land appliation versus mono-fill). I can assure you that from
manufacturing facilities with their own WWTP, bio-solids get tested for a
variety of compounds. Likewise with biosolids from Muni systems. They don't
just "get disposed of" willy-nilly.

There has been an extensive amount of research in the Mid-West -- Minn. I
think -- about applying municipal bio-solids to ag lands.

Regardless of the "fertilizer" one uses, knowing the active and inactive
ingredients is a prudent measure. Most states heavily regulate land
application of biosolids. Unlike land application of commercial ... or ...
"organic" ... fertilizers.

It also might be prudent to note your personal aversion to chemicals (per
your web site) and your assertions that "organic" fertilizers are somehow
=2E.. safer than  ... well, not inorganic ... I'm not sure how you
characterize the competing products.

If you'd like a list of regulatory agencies (environmental, natural
resources, ag) from around the country, point your browser to
http://www.enetdigest.com/govt/govt.html

Kathy
Kathy E. Gill, publisher, eNetDigest - http://www.enetdigest.com/
Member, HTML Writers Guild Governing Board, http://www.hwg.org/
WWW design =95 writing =95 training - http://www.dotparagon.com/

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi