Subject: Re: Herbicides

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 18:02:21 WST

>From: [email-masked]

>Hi Barbara, 
>   I don't know what "Finale" is, but paraquat is sold as Gramoxone,
>a potent grass herbicide. It has 'high acute mammalian toxicity'.
>ie it's very poisonous to mammals. At one time paraquat was 
>often used as a means of committing suicide by agricultural workers in
>the third world. It seems to me that there were also many cases of accidental poisoning. 
>    If Finale is a 'watered down' version of paraquat it will likely have
>the same chemical component on the label, or one with a similar sounding
>chemical name.  If you searched the www for whatever chemical names
>you find on the label, I'm sure you would find some information fairly quickly. The Pesticide Action Network is likely to have the 
>kind of information you're looking for.
>   We *did* talk about propionic acid a while back. :-)
>
>Jim
>>
>>Perhaps we've covered this before -- if so, I haven't the archive. But I
>>thought I had found a "safe" herbicide in a product called "Finale." It is
>>sold in stores that largely do organic. Recently, a biologist with BLM told
>>me he thought it was a watered down version of something called "Paraquat."
>>Whatever that is must be pretty terrible.
>>
>>Does anyone know about such things?

Paraquat and Diquat are the 2 chemicals which are used in sprayseed.
Many people who used it have nosebleeds from being around the spray.
Its ten years since I had anything to do with it.

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
[email-masked]                 1 Annato Street Greenwood 6024 
                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:---
              --:http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html:-
          -----: Men Of The Trees, Holistic Management :------
       ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling Landmark Education:------
                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----
                 http://www.eepo.com.au/~victor/
   http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the 
               Permaculture Convergence on line