Subject: Permaculture in Alice Springs

From: Martin Anda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:10:05 +0800

Mike Mattys

Before you leave Alice Springs make sure you visit Mike Last at the
Pitjantjatjara Council.  He has a nursaery and has been assisting
surrounding communities with revegetation and growing food for the last 20
years.

The Tangentyerre Council also has been a lot of landcare work over the
years and perhaps growing food too.

The Centre for Appropriate Technology has also been assisting in the
establishment of the Arriljhere Demonstration House which I believe has
permaculture gardens.

Martin Anda
Research Associate
Remote Area Developments Group
Appropriate Technology for Remote Indigenous Communities
Tel 61 8 9360 2896  Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Environmental Technology Centre
Environmental Technologies for Sustainable Development
Tel 61 8 9360 6123 Fax 61 8 9310 4997
Murdoch University
Murdoch  WA  6150

---

From: Mike Mattys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:58:00 +0930

Thanks for the info, Martin. We haven't spent any time with the
Pitjantjatjara people. We are working mainly with Walpiri and Arriente
who, to put it mildly, don't get on with the Pitjantjatjara.

We will make it our business to follow this up and see what we can find
out.
Regards
Mike Mattys