Subject: Re: Oops! Abundant Life Seed Foundation (fwd)

From: Piedmont Communities Online <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 18:53:56 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 15:30:43 PDT
From: Jennifer Peltier <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Yount <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Oops! Abundant Life Seed Foundation 

> Sorry everybody...meant to remove that Cc: line.
> 
> Abundant Life's pages are at 
> 	http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/abundant/
> 
> If any of you could point me in the direction of seed saving
> resources, electronic or otherwise, I'd be obliged.
> As fewer varieties of plants are grown out each year, parts
> of our "permanent culture" or indigenous knowledge are disappearing.
> This strikes me as something all of us have in common, since
> the seeds represent, inter alia, the tools of our designs.
> Does this strike a chord with any of you?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Michael
> [email-masked]

Hi Michael,

Here are some resources I know of:

Seeds of Change.  
http://www.seedsofchange.com/

I frequently buy these seeds.  I get healthy plants that usually stay
disease free compared to any hybrids in the garden.  These are
open-pollinated, organic seeds.  I am not sure if they do seed saving,
but the catalogue is packed full of ideas and they have volunteer
opps. on their organic farm where they raise seeds.

Santa Barbara Heirloom Seedling Nursery 

http://www.heirloom.com/heirloom/

I hear from friends that this is a great resource.  

Seed Savers Exchange 

Kent Whealy, Director
Rural Route 3, Box 239
Decorah, Iowa 52101

from the web side:

http://www.gaia.org/ic/fic/cdir/res/SeedSavers.html

The Seed Savers Exchange is a network of mostly small-scale growers
and gardeners dedicated to preserving our heritage of
open-pollinated heirloom vegetables, fruits, and nuts. The network's
underlying purpose is to protect the genetic diversity of our food
crops. The SSE's yearbook, published each January, lists varieties
that have been saved...then members exchange and grow each other's
seeds. Three other valuable references works produced by SSE are
Garden Seed Inventory (a complete list of all commercially available
non-hybrid vegetable seeds); Fruit, Berry, and Nut Inventory; and Seed
to Seed (detailing seed-saving techniques for the vegetable
gardener). Write to receive a four-page color brochure detailing SSE's
projects and publications, enclosing $1 with your request. 7/1/92

I hope this helps,

Take care, Jennifer