Subject: SAED: Integrated Biosystems Internet Conference 1998 (fwd) (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:35:46 WST

SAED --

from the PRA list.

Nancy GS

>.............................................................................
>
>---------- Forwarded message ----------
>Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:08:58 +0900
>From: "Eng-Leong \"Jacky\" Foo" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Internet Conference 1998

>####################################################
>
>
>                       CALL FOR ABSTRACTS AND PAPERS
>
>Internet Conference on Integrated Bio-Systems (April-Dec 1998)
>
>This Internet Conference is a virtual conference where full papers will be
>available on the web and their discussions will be conducted via electronic
>mailing lists.
>
>The conference is jointly organized by the Institute of Advanced Studies
>(UNU/IAS) of the United Nations University (Tokyo) and the UNESCO Microbial
>Resources Center (MIRCEN-Stockholm)  under the UNU/IAS prgramme on
>"eco-restructuring for sustainable development" which advocates the zero
>emissions concept of wastes and by-products utilization for
>income-generating activities and those that contribute to a cleaner
>environment.
>
>The purpose of the conference is to permit Internet access to a
>comprehensive documentation of  past and current work on integrated
>bio-systems,  to enable authors to share knowledge and know-how and to
>encourage participants to interact with the authors. The Internet
>conference will gather biologists, scientists, engineers, sociologists,
>economists and project coordinators and members of the electronic Network
>on Integrated Bio-systems.
>
>Scope
>
>The conference will deal with a variety of topics on the science,
>technology and practice of integrated bio-systems in agriculture,
>aquaculture and industry for energy and primary food production, waste
>treatment & utilization, food processing. Papers are invited on integrated
>bio-systems for localized site applications, such as fish-bivalve
>polyculture systems in aquaculture; crop-mushroom-compost systems in
>agriculture; integrated agriculture-aquaculture systems (e.g. rice-fish
>systems); systems for wastewater treatment and utilization, water quality
>management (e.g. sewage wastewater-fish-hydroponics-wetland systems) and
>solid waste treatment and utilisation (e.g. municipal solid
>waste-vermiculture-compost-duck systems, and livestock
>manure-biogas-crop/horticulture systems). Scientific papers related to the
>above topics on their microbial ecosystems, their materials balance and
>nutrients flows, transfer of toxics in the food chains, economic analysis
>and assessment of whole systems, ecological bioremediation, etc. are also
>welcomed. Other systems may have a wider landscape applications, including
>coastal zone aquaculture and resource management, agro-forestry,
>lowland-upland, urban-agriculture, lakes, villages, communities, industrial
>and recreation parks, cities) and those at a regional level that cover
>socio-economic and political issues.
>
>Instructions for Submission of Abstracts:
>
>An abstract should not be longer than 55 lines (65 characters per line) and
>to include (a) title, author(s) name(s), postal address, and other
>electronic addresses. Please send your abstract(s) to:
>[email-masked]
>Deadline: 1st submission - 31 Dec'97 - for presentation between
>April-June'98
>Deadline: 2nd submission - 30 June'98 - for presentation between
>Oct-Dec'98.
>
>All abstracts will be reviewed by a committee and upon their approval,
>authors will be requested to submit the full paper. Details will be
>provided separately to authors. Abstracts and full papers will be available
>on a web site and for discussion via an electronic mailing list. Access to
>electronic mail or Internet is a pre-requisite.
>
>To receive future details and announcements on the conference, please join
>the list: [email-masked] ; send an email to [email-masked] and
>write the message: SUB IAS-WG08 yourfirstname yourlastname
>e.g. sub ias-wg08 Raman Chambers
>
>Contact Person:
>Eng-Leong "Jacky" Foo.
>mailto:[email-masked]
>

***************************
Nancy Grudens Schuck
Doctoral Candidate

Department of Education
119 Kennedy Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853
U.S.A.

E-mail: [email-masked]
FAX: (607) 255-7905

***************************