Subject: BIODYNAMICS Needs Your Help!!! (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:08:21 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:03:33 -0500
From: Biodynamics Mailing List <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: BIODYNAMICS Needs Your Help!!!

Thanks for reading this message! :-)

For a forth coming issue of BIODYNAMICS (the magazine of the Biodynamic
Farming and Gardening Association of America), I need samples of your
intern/apprentice recruitment brochures/flyers/ads. If you are willing to
share (and why not? It should turn into good free advertising? :-) Emailed,
URL'd, or hardcopy appreciated. (NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!!)

As you are probably aware, if you are involved in a CSA using sutainable
organic practices, BIODYNAMICS is interested in running your 'help wanted'
ads for free, both in BIODYNAMICS magazine and on the WWW site.

Another request:

I'm looking for comments/opinions or YOUR REVIEW of the recent CSA
conference at Kimberton. (I need these shortly!!!)

If there is any way I can help you, please let me know.

Yours,

Allan Balliett
moderator, bd-l
managing editor, BIODYNAMICS: Farming for the 21st Century

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
To Post to the Bio-Dynamics Mailing list: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked] SUBJECT=SUBSCRIBE BD-L
To Cancel Your Subscription: [email-masked] SUBJECT=UNSUBSCRIBE BD-L

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Subscribe to BIODYNAMICS: Farming for the 21st Century
    the Bi-Monthly Magazine about Developments in the Art and Science of
Biodynamics
    and the Bi-Monthly magazine of the Biodynamic Farming and Gardening
Association of America.
    Alan York, editor.

6 issues a year for $35
	includes membership in the BD Association
	-AND-
	10% Discount off from books from the BDFGAA Resource Catalog*
	10% Discount off on Biodynamic Compost Starter (Pfeiffer Foundation)
	10% Discount off from Ferarri Tractor purchases*
	10% Discount off from SEEDS of CHANGE purchases*
	10% Discount off from Woods End Soil Testing*
	        Other Discounts are in the works!!!
                        *restrictions may apply!!

Subscribe through: The Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Association of America
		POB 550, Kimberton, PA 19442 USA
		1-800-516-7797
		VISA/AMEX/MasterCard accepted

(International Subscriptions are higher. Contact the BDFGAA for a quote).

mail submissions to BIODYNAMICS to: BIODYNAMICS POB 3047, Shepherdstown WV
25443

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Opinions expressed in mail through this list, whether by the moderator or
by list
members,  are simply the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the
opinions of the BDFGA.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Check out the Biodynamic Association of America's  WEB PAGE:
     http://www.biodynamics.com

Thank you, Allan Balliett, Moderator
============================

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:09:31 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:53:50 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: BIODYNAMICS Needs Your Help!!!

Allen,

Thanks for the opportunity.  While we are an organic but not biodynamic farm,
we have mentored biodynamic farmers and learned from them.  I hope this is
appropriate for your "Apprentices Wanted" forum.

CSA-l folks,

Please post this opportunity as appropriate for your organizations.

Thanks,
Marcie at Full Circle Organic Farm

Wanted: Working Apprentice/Partner(s)  for the 1997 season

More than your typical apprentice-as-slave position.  If you're serious about
having your own small-scale organic produce operation integrated into your
community, consider spending a season with Full Circle Organic Farm.  We
share budget, planning and marketing strategies, and offer a legitimate
chance for contribution.  We explain why we do what we do, but are willing to
incorporate different strategies in both production and marketing.  

Located in the Sierra foothills about 45 miles NE of Sacramento, CA., Full
Circle Organic Farm is a micro-farm growing vegetables, herbs, strawberries,
and flowers using biointensive, organic practices in a whole farm ecosystem
approach.  The home parcel is 5 acre about half of which is in production.
 Our tillage is by European spader on semi-permanent beds, we drip irrigate,
and average two crops per bed per season.  Using our two 20'x50' greenhouses,
we produce all our transplants on-farm and sell excess plants.  Computers
play a major role in our planning and tracking functions.

We helped start the local farmer's market association and have a 50 share
capacity CSA.  Community-building gets more than just lip-service around
here.  We contribute produce to the local food bank and women's shelter.  In
the last 18 months, Marcie has contributed to three books for small farms and
written one about using computers in planning and tracking information on
small farms.  She teaches classes for farmers and gardeners.  This year we
want to help develop a web-site and bulletin board for local farmers.

While all this planning and marketing is going on, we still have soil to
amend, crops to plant, weeds to hoe, plants to stake and tie, veggies to
harvest, share bags to pack, and markets to attend.  Our biggest challenge is
having enough hands to get the work done with limited capital.  Like most
small-scale farmers, our lives are full and our profits marginal.

If you've already been an apprentice but didn't experience planning and
decision-making as part of a team, this may be the opportunity for you.  If
you've worked on a farm but never got to really learn the farming system,
this may be the experience you're looking for. Folks who work here after
apprenticing elsewhere, say a season with us has made a real difference in
their knowledge and confidence levels.

To apply, write us.  We'd like to know a bit about you, your experience,
dreams and expectations -- what you'd like to contribute, what you want to
learn, what you need to be comfortable, and your availability.  Our
harvesting starts in April and goes through Thanksgiving.  Planting starts
now and continues through November.

Full Circle Organic Farm
Marcie A. Rosenzweig and Lee Hendrickson
3377 Early Times Lane
Auburn, Ca 95603
(916)885-9201
e-mail, [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 07:56:52 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 2/1/97 3:35:59 PM, [email-masked] (Lawrence F.

>URL'd, or hardcopy appreciated. (NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!!)

Thanks for your interest.  We are on the verge of announcing two intern or
apprentice positions for our new permaculture center.  Duties would be split
between development of the center according to our permaculture design and
supporting our ongoing projects such as publications, travelling teaching
programs, and our online Permaculture Design Course.  We have a good-size
mobile home to house interns and apprentices who arrange to live on site and
our offices and library.  There are a variety of opportunities for an intern
or apprentice to develop profit sharing activities with our resource base.

We always work with volunteers at any distance.

Here are our information sheets.  If you need hard copies, please send
international return mail coupons + a completed address label or, from the
USA, an SASE.  

Elfin Permaculture
P.O. Box 2052, Ocala GA 34478-2052 USA
eMail: [email-masked]

OPPORTUNITIES FOR PERMACULTURE
APPRENTICES, INTERNS & VOLUNTEERS

Apprenticeship:  Advanced Permaculture Training (APT) Programs
	For graduates of the Permaculture Design Course, APT operates a tuition
program providing advanced training in permaculture design, design
implementation, research and outreach.  APT director Dan Hemenway provides
guidance to apprentices who design their own programs.  Eventually, we expect
to offer APT training in a residential, permaculture campus setting.  In
addition, we also already offer APT to design course graduates who will be
based at their homes and/or in field situations.  A particular goal of APT is
to apply our four-pronged approach to the training of a Permaculture Corps of
workers who will serve as resource people in poor and exploited countries.
	APT coordinator Dan Hemenway is also available to lead workshops and shorter
courses for design course graduates interested in teaching permaculture and
will work on a consulting basis with qualified permaculturists working in
other areas of  permaculture.

Internships
	For people of any age or background, we offer internships.  The work
provided for permaculture projects compensates fully for training required
for the intern to perform that work.  Only graduates of our Permaculture
Design Course will be assigned internships in the field. Most of our intern
opportunities involve projects relating to our publications and teaching.  We
need managing editors, copy editors, proof-readers, illustrators, graphic
artists, sales and marketing people (for both publications & workshops),
public relations helpers, publicists, networkers, a coordinator of
volunteers, etc.  All of us at Elfin Permaculture share in simple tasks such
as putting out mailings, typing, filing, etc., particularly for the projects
we individually oversee. Interns are expected to acquire skills to make
day-to-day decisions on the projects for which they take responsibility and
are consulted regarding policy decisions about projects in which they are
involved.  Interns should live near our office.  While interns are
responsible for their sustenance, we may be able to provide residence for on
site interns with kitchen facilities and bath.  Availability depends on prior
commitments for our limited space.

Volunteers
	Volunteers with any relevant skill or any amount of physical energy are
needed.  Volunteers may also provide access to resources, such as printing
capabilities or mail list permits.  Persons with access to computers
compatible with ours (Macintosh) can assist such projects as typesetting,
desktop publishing, development and maintenance of data bases, etc.  We have
tasks that can be done anywhere in the world as well as jobs that require
help from local people.  Our volunteers have helped share the load of simple
but time-consuming tasks, such as preparing bulk mailings, as well as taking
responsibility for complex tasks, such as organizing a resource publication,
setting up a tree-bank, distributing our publications in their home country,
or organizing permaculture workshops and design courses.  They automatically
become members of the Solutions Network and receive copies of our newsletter,
Robin, which reports on what they are doing.  Robin  is also newsletter for
the Forest Ecosystem Rescue Network  (FERN) volunteers working specifically
to save Earth's forests.
	To volunteer, please send us a letter indicating the kind of project or the
kind of work you would like to do, your skills, how much time you can donate,
and any other information you would like us to know about you.  Feel free to
propose projects you want to manage if you think we should be involved in
them.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Elfin Permaculture
P.O. Box 2052 
Ocala FL 34478-2052 USA.
eMail: [email-masked]

ADVANCED PERMACULTURE TRAINING

ADVANCED TRAINING FOR  PERMACULTURISTS
	APT (Advanced Permaculture Training) was developed in response to an
apparent need for more permaculture teachers and practitioners and for high
standards in the practice and teaching of permaculture.  Through APT, Elfin
Permaculture shares experience in teaching hundreds of permaculture workshops
and courses worldwide.  Dan Hemenway, founder of Elfin Permaculture, is the
principal instructor.  Eventually we hope to certify graduates of the APT
program to become APT trainers. 

QUALIFICATIONS OF STUDENTS 
	An APT enrollee must be a graduate of an approved Permaculture Design
Course.  In addition, APT trainees must attend a second Permaculture Design
Course early in his/her APT program.  At least one of  these must be a full,
three-week Permaculture Design Course offered by Elfin Permaculture after
1986 or the 5 month email Elfin Permaculture Design Course. There is
presently no entrance examination for enrollment in APT.  

THE APT PROGRAM 
	Using permaculture design principles, APT students design their own programs
based on their needs, resources, and perceptions of  their role as
permaculturists.  Elfin Permaculture guides and supports the program design
process but we will not direct it. The design specifies the work that the
trainee will perform while enrolled in APT and how Elfin permaculture will
provide support and guidance. Whatever the program design, it must  specify
trainee work in four areas:  design,  design implementation, research, and
outreach.   	Design.  In addition to designing his/her own  program, an APT
trainee executes at least one full permaculture design during enrollment in
APT.  The design may be of any scale appropriate to particular training needs
and the design site may be anywhere.  
	Design Implementation.  After Elfin Permaculture and the site residents
approve the design, the trainee implements in full the design s/he has
prepared.  We feel that this is a critical aspect of education for the
designer.  Changes in the design based on the experience of implementation
will be discussed with the instructor and must be approved by the site
residents and Elfin Permaculture.  To the fullest extent possible,
implementation will be done with hand tools to assure that the trainee has
direct experience of the energy requirements of design choices.  We will
visit the design site at least three times; before implementation (during the
design process), once while implementation is in process, and at the
conclusion of implementation. 
	Research.  Research can be direct field work or academic research, gathering
known information together in a useful form, as suits the individual trainee.
 Research must be needed and useful for permaculture.  Elfin Permaculture
receives as part of consideration for tuition first publication rights
through our sister organization, Yankee Permaculture.  The trainee retains
copyright and subsequent publication rights and will receive any royalties
that Yankee Permaculture customarily pays.  Editing, rewriting, layouts,
typesetting and illustrations by Yankee Permaculture to make the information
publishable remain the property of Yankee Permaculture and may not be
reproduced without  written permission. 	Outreach.  Virtually any form of
permaculture outreach which is effective, needed and useful suffices this
portion of the program.  Depending on the individualized program design, this
may be conducting introductory permaculture workshops, assisting in the
teaching of design courses led by qualified permaculture instructors,
organizing and promoting such events for others to lead, writing articles on
permaculture, producing teaching, marketing, or propaganda media,  and so
forth.  The critical criterion is that the trainee develop and make practical
use of skills that help the overall effort to promote the adaptation of
permaculture principles. 

PROGRAM DURATION 
	Each APT trainee determines the duration of his/her program in its design
within a minimum of one year and a maximum of four years.  Extensions or
curtailments must be negotiated with Elfin Permaculture and may result in
failure of the trainee to receive certification. 

CERTIFICATION 
	On completion of the program, the trainee may be certified as meeting Elfin
Permaculture standards for specific permaculture activities.  Evaluative
criteria and the skills and skill levels to be certified will have been
spelled out in the program design.  A participant is free to request
additional certification if s/he feels that such levels of competence have
been achieved during the program.  Competence, growth during the program, and
 practical effectiveness of skills are the principal categories of evaluation
criteria. All four program areas--design, design implementation, research and
outreach--and all three evaluation criteria--competence, growth and
usefulness--must meet the design goals for the trainee to be certified.
 Elfin Permaculture intends that its standards remain high.  The
individualized trainee program guarantees that any committed person can
achieve certification at a realistic level of competence. 

	RESIDENCE 
	At present, only two slots exists for a residential APT trainees.  APT
students can otherwise work at home or in any field situation of their
choice.  In the future, we hope to have facilities for a small group of
 trainees to be in residence with Elfin Permaculture. *
	
COSTS
	The fees for APT programs are as follows: [Registration Application:  US
$5.00 in North America; US$10  airmail outside North America. 
Registration Fee:  US $50.00. 
Program Design Fee:  Negotiable, depending on the needs of the trainee.
 Minimum:  US $500.  (Note:  Following the program design process, it is
expected that some students will determine that the program design itself
will suffice for guidance.  For these people, the formal APT program ends
here unless certification is an over-riding concern.) 
APT Program:  Negotiable, depending on the needs of the trainee.  Minimum:
 $2,500 per year. 
Direct Costs:  Direct costs incurred by the program design will be charged to
the trainee.   Unanticipated Costs:  Costs not anticipated in the program
design, including additional support, guidance or negotiation by Elfin
Permaculture, will be paid by the trainee in advance of such work. 
Payment Schedule:  Payment is due before each step begins. Tuition for
multi-year programs is payable before the training year begins.   
Other Costs:  Costs associated with residence, personal support,
transportation, use of the design site and supervision by the owner or
resident of the design site are the responsibility of the trainee.
Implementation costs may be fully or partially the responsibility of the
trainee, depending on arrangements with those responsible for the design
site. 
Income and barter:  APT trainees can include income sharing or other
income-producing projects into their program design.  Elfin permaculture may
barter a portion of tuition for work for Elfin and/or Yankee Permaculture to
be done before payment is due. 
Scholarships:  Because of the individualized nature of instruction, Elfin
Permaculture does not offer scholarships to its APT program.  Trainees are
encouraged to solicit scholarship support from other sources. 

OTHER PROGRAMS 
	Elfin Permaculture goes anywhere to lead workshops and courses for advanced
training of  permaculture design course graduates.  Details of such programs
are negotiable.  Fees will follow our standard schedule and costs are the
responsibility of the host group. 
	Elfin Permaculture will also make arrangements for prospective teachers and
designers to work with us in an apprentice model.  In this case, the
apprentice exchanges work for supervised experience in actual teaching
programs or paid designs.  A tuition charge may also be involved, depending
on circumstances.  Apprentice arrangements are individualized.  No
certificate is issued to apprentices not part of a formal APT program. 
	Eventually, Elfin Permaculture hopes to establish a residential program for
APT, with components to train Permaculture Design Course instructors and
 Permaculture Corps of instructors capable of sensitively and effectively
working in poor and exploited countries.  For details, order Permaculture
Paper #22, Permaculture Center Proposal, from Yankee Permaculture. 
	For a complete list of Yankee Permaculture publications of interest to
prospective permaculture designers and teachers, send US$1.00 and a SASE to
the above address.  

(C) COPYRIGHT, 1991-1996, DAN & CYNTHIA HEMENWAY, Ocala FL USA.  ALL RIGHTS
RESERVED. 

Last revised: 8/5/96

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 07:56:52 -0500 (EST)

Elfin Permaculture

Internships

Volunteers

THE APT PROGRAM 

PROGRAM DURATION 

CERTIFICATION 

	RESIDENCE 
	
COSTS

OTHER PROGRAMS 

Last revised: 8/5/96