Subject: Re: Pesticide Information Resource (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 00:26:13 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:29:27 -0500
From: Charles Benbrook <[email-masked]>
To: "Terry L. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Terry Miller <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pesticide Information Resource

KA - -Add this to page in sources of info on pesticides.  cmb

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 03:19 PM 3/19/97 -0800, Terry L. Miller wrote:
>
>Calling your attention to a service providing pesticide information to 
>the public and professionals...
>
>* * * * * * * * * * 
>	 National Pesticide Telecommunications Network (NPTN) - 
>   A Toll-Free and Internet Accessible Pesticide Information Service
>
>
>	Have you ever wanted a source of objective pesticide
>information or a place to refer your clients? Have you ever wondered
>or been asked the following questions: Is it dangerous to use
>pesticides for insect control if I am pregnant or have small children?
>What is the persistence of the chemicals used on my lawn for weed
>control? Will they contaminate my well? Could this old bottle of
>liquid I found in the garage be a pesticide? If you have had these
>questions and longed for a place to call, the National Pesticide
>Telecommunications Network (NPTN) may be a useful resource for you!
>
>	NPTN is a toll-free information service -- available to any
>caller in the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands --
>sponsored cooperatively by Oregon State University and the
>U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.  NPTN provides objective,
>science-based information about a wide variety of pesticide-related
>subjects including: pesticide products, pesticide poisonings,
>toxicology, and environmental chemistry.
>
>	NPTN is open to questions from the public and
>professionals. It is staffed by highly qualified and trained pesticide
>specialists who have the toxicology and environmental chemistry
>training needed to provide knowledgeable answers to questions about
>pesticides. Pesticide specialists can help callers interpret and
>understand toxicology and environmental chemistry information about
>pesticides.
>
>	NPTN receives more than 2000 calls per month. Most callers are
>homeowners concerned about their family's health when pesticides are
>being used in and around their home (e.g. for control of ants,
>termites, fleas, or garden and lawn pests). NPTN can provide
>information on the pesticides used in these situations and methods to
>reduce exposure. While NPTN does not make recommendations about which
>pesticides to use for control of pests, NPTN can direct callers to
>local resources for products available in their area.
>
>	If people call with pesticide emergencies, NPTN can connect
>them directly with the Oregon Poison Control Center or the National
>Animal Poison Control Center. NPTN can also direct callers for
>pesticide incident investigations, safety practices, clean-up and
>disposal, and laboratory analyses.
>
>	NPTN uses a variety of information sources such as EPA
>documents, USDA Cooperative Extension publications, the scientific
>literature, and a pesticide product database. Information is available
>at no-cost over the phone and non-copyrighted materials can be mailed
>or faxed for a nominal fee. Information is also available through the
>NPTN World Wide Web site at: http://ace.orst.edu/info/nptn/
>
>	NPTN can be reached 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time,
>Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Saturday and Sunday service
>will begin in Spring 1997. Telephone: 1-800-858-7378 Fax:
>1-541-737-0761.  Email: [email-masked]
>
>
>* * * * * * * * * *  
>
>= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>                Terry L. Miller - Extension Pesticide Coordinator &
>                                  Director, National Pesticide 
>                                      Telecommunications Network
>
>	Ag Chemistry Extension			Email: [email-masked]
>	Oregon State University			Phone: 541/737-1811
>	333 Weniger				FAX:   541/737-0761
>	Corvallis, OR 97331-6502
>	USA
>
>
>
>
>
Charles Benbrook                         202-546-5089 (voice)
Benbrook Consulting Services             202-546-5028  (fax)
409 First Street S.E.                    [email-masked]   [e-mail]
Washington, D.C.  20003                  http://www.pmac.net