Subject: WSAA book: For All Generations (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:25:12 -0400 (EDT)

----------------------------------
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
----=+=----
InterGarden
mailto:[email-masked]
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
Venaura Farm
mailto:[email-masked]
http://nuteknet.com/london
----------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:55:48 -0400
From: Patrick Madden <[email-masked]>
To: BlindCopyReceiver:  ;
Subject: WSAA book: For All Generations

New Book From World Sustainable Agriculture Association:

For ALL Generations:
Making World Agriculture More Sustainable

Edited by J. Patrick Madden and Scott G. Chaplowe

In the context of widespread concern over environmental damage caused by
agriculture, coupled with widespread hunger and poverty, it is encouraging
to see the emerging emphasis on more sustainable agriculture.  However,
awesome difficulties and barriers must be overcome.  Gradually, governments
are realizing the hidden dangers and real costs of chemical-intensive Green
Revolution methods of farming.  The public has begun to challenge the
wisdom of industrialized farming systems that promise short-term gains, but
yield long-term destruction, deplete and ruin natural resources, and
threaten the health of both the people and their ecosystems.  Donors and
government officials are turning more often to non-governmental
organizations (NGOs) and innovative farmers in efforts to develop and
encourage adoption of more sustainable farming methods.  The goal is
widespread adoption of highly productive farming and marketing systems that
regenerate soils; enhance communities and family farms; promote the health
of farm workers and consumers; protect the environment and biodiversity;
and provide local or regional food security (freedom from hunger) through
equitable opportunities and access to abundant, wholesome foods.

It is in this context that the World Sustainable Agriculture Association
(WSAA) embarked upon a project to highlight notable organizations promoting
sustainable agriculture throughout the world.  Casting a broad net, WSAA
asked many organizations to describe their efforts to make agriculture more
sustainable.  The outcome is a 650-page book containing more than 60
organization profiles, ranging from international NGOs to grassroots
organizations, including:
·       Center for Citizen Initiatives in Russia
·       CLADES in Latin America
·       The China Green Food Development Center
·       Food First in Cuba and other countries
·       Developing Countries Farm Radio Network in Canada
·       Heifer Project International
·       ILEIA, headquartered in the Netherlands
·       Inter-American Foundation
·       Landcare in Australia
·       Manor House Agricultural Center in Africa
·       MOA Food and Agriculture Movement
·       Philippine Development Assistance Program
·       Rodale Institute
·       SANE, Sustainable Agriculture Networking and Extension
·       The SARE research and education grants program in the US
·       Trickle Up in many countries
·       World Neighbors, also in many countries

Setting the stage for these organizational profiles are 13 chapters:

Chapter 1. Introduction and Overview, by J. Patrick Madden and Scott
Chaplowe

Chapter 2. Expanding the Vision of Sustainable Agriculture, by Frederick
Kirschenmann

Chapter 3. Farmer-Centered Development;  Actions that Alleviate Poverty and
Reduce Hunger,  
                 by Bruce H. Moore

Chapter 4. Sustainable Prospects in Urban Agriculture, by Scott G. Chaplowe

Chapter 5. On Becoming Lovers of the Soil, by Frederick Kirschenmann

Chapter 6. Community Supported Agriculture in Perspective, by Robyn Van En

Chapter 7. The Worldwide Expansion of Organic Farming: Its Potential
Contribution to a Global
                 Transition to Sustainable Agriculture, by Roger Blobaum

Chapter 8. Can an Organic Twinkie Be Certified? by Joan Dye Gussow

Chapter 9. Can Organic Agriculture Feed the World? . . . And Is That the
Right Question?, 
                 by Frederick Kirschenmann

Chapter 10. Domination of World Agriculture by Transnational Corporations
(TNCs), 
                 by William D. Heffernan

Chapter 11. The Food Rulers: Domestic Food Security or Globalization? by
Peter Rottach

Chapter 12. Publicly Funded Models Supporting Sustainable Agriculture: 
Four Model Profiles, 
                 by Roger Blobaum

Chapter 13. Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Sustainable
Agriculture, by Scott G. Chaplowe

The book concludes with a Directory of 141 organizations whose work
supports the cause of sustainable agriculture, a Glossary of key terms, and
a detailed Subject Index.

 ALL ORDERS MUST BE PREPAID with a check drawn on a US bank or a US
International money order in US Currency.
                We cannot process credit cards. 

To order please complete the following form, enclose payment, and mail it
to WSAA Publications, 8554 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, CA 90069  USA. 
(Phone: 310-657-7202; Fax:310-657-3884; Email:  [email-masked]) Thank
you.
______________________________________________
Shipping and Handling  Fees (in US$):

United States: Book rate: $4 for one copy, $2 each additional copy
             Priority Mail: $5 for one copy,    $3 each additional copy

Canada: Book rate: $5 for one copy, $2 each additional copy
             Priority Mail: $9 for one copy,    $3 each additional copy

Other Countries: Surface mail: $10 for one copy, $5 each additional copy
             Air Mail: $24 for one copy,        $11 each additional copy
__________________________________________________

ORDER FORM:

Each copy @ US$30.00    ____ # copies =        $ __________
California residents add  8.25% sales tax      $ __________
Shipping and handling  (see fees above)           $ __________

TOTAL ENCLOSED IN US$:                       $ __________

(Quantity discounts and NGO rates available on request)
___________________________________________________________

Optional:  Customer’s Phone #:________________________ 
                                                    Fax
#:___________________________ 
                                              
Email:____________________________________________

Please PRINT or TYPE your mailing label:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SHIP TO:

Name : ___________________________________________
Address: 
__________________________________________________

__________________________________________________

__________________________________________________

__________________________________________________