From: "Permaculture West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 13:12:55 -0700

Hello!  
While browsing the web I couldn't help but notice the incredible amount of
information you've put on it regarding permaculture.  With this in mind I
was hoping you could help me get word about our design course out to the
larger internet community.  Being relatively new to the net I am still
floundering my way through all its vagaries.  I would appreciate any advice
on how to advertise our workshops.  Thank-you kindly!!

					Kirk Hanson

Building the
Natural Community
A two-week intensive Permaculture Design Course

Date: September 6-19
Location: Wild Thyme Farm
	       Oakville, WA

Description: Wild Thyme Farm, a 140 acre evolving permaculture site and
resource center, is located in the Chehalis river valley just 35 minutes
South of Olympia, WA.  Situated within its own watershed the farm features
a 100 acre second growth forest, turn-of-the-century barn, fruit & nut
orchards, greenhouses, sauna, gardens, hot tub, streams, pond, cottages,
and various micro-climates ranging from ridge-top meadows to low-land
marshes and flood plains.  Wild Thyme Farm has been a retreat center since
1989 and integrative permaculture principles have continued to guide its
evolution.  
	This two-week intensive design course will examine the fundamentals of
developing sustainable villages and communities that are bioregionally
unique.  Elements of village design to be discussed include: local
economics, appropriate building strategies, edible landscaping,
agroforestry, cottage industries, aquaculture, mushroom cultivation, site
analysis, natural education, bamboo, livestock & wild-life, food forests,
systems theory, and much, much more.  Information is presented through such
mediums as slide shows, lecture, hands-on demonstrations, field trips, and
observation walks.  Participants completing the entire course will receive
a Permaculture Design Course Graduate certificate.
	Instructors include: Larry Santoyo; a world renowned permaculture designer
& educator who has worked directly with Bill Mollison.  Larry is the
foremost urban permaculture designer in the U.S. and has developed
sustainable industry programs for several major U.S. corporations.  Paul
Stamets; owner of Fungi Perfecti, the largest mushroom research facility in
the NW.  Paul has been pioneering perma-culture strategies for
re-integrating edible & medicinal mushrooms into residential & commercial
landscapes.  Simon Henderson; co-founder of Bamboo People, the NW’s leading
bamboo research & consultation firm.  Simon has traveled the world
documenting bamboo cultivation and uses.  He is author of Raising the
Dragon: Bamboo Agroforestry in Southeast Asia.  Michael Pilarski; founder
of Friends of the Trees, a NW non-profit dedicated to reforesting the
world.  Michael has been a permaculture designer for over 15 years and has
more than two decades worth of experience in international networking and
sustainable natural resource management.  Joanne Lee; has founded the South
Sound Exchange, a local economic and bartering system for the Olympia area.
 She is also involved with co-housing initiatives in Thurston County.

Cost: $675 (includes tuition, camping, materials, and all meals.
Accommodations: Camping is free.  Limited bunkhouse accommodations: $150. 
Guesthouse rooms: $200.  Please inquire as to availability.
Course is limited to 25 participants.

Contact: Permaculture West
	     72 Mattson Rd.
	     Oakville, WA 98568
	     Ph: (360) 352-6509
	     Fx: (360) 273-7117
	     E-mail: [email-masked]

				BUILDING THE NATURAL
				COMMUNITY.  A Two-week 
				Intensive Permaculture Design
				Course.  Sept. 6-19, Oakville, WA.
				Develop skills for observing patterns
				in nature while learning how to create
				villages & communities using principles
				drawn from nature’s sustainable design.
				For details contact Permaculture West at:
				ph (360) 352-6509, or e-mail:
			            [email-masked].