Subject: Permaculture Ethics

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 08:35:31 -0500 (EST)

The following is reprinted from pamphlet VIII of the Permaculture Design
Course Pamphlets published by Yankee Permaculture.  

I've discussed the matter with Larry London, and we both feel that it would
be useful to post these.  They are also reprinted in our digest PROD
(Permaculture Review, Overview and Digest) and god knows how many other
places as we have placed the entire list in the public domain so that there
is a complete body of material available without copyright concerns.
 (Copyright IS our lifeblood--we hope that the availability will curb the
appropriation of our other materials.)

Here it is.  Reproduce to your heart's content.

PROFESSIONAL PERMACULTURE DESIGNERS' ETHICS
 1. As a group of designers, we cooperate; we do not compete.
2. We do not duplicate each other's work. As far as possible, we create and
use individual designs.
3. We care for our clients and are responsible to them.
4. The end to which we are working is the reforestation of the Earth and the
restoration of its soils to health.
<FONT FACE="Times" FAMILY=SERIF>
6. We seek the best, the most appropriate energy paths, utilizing appropriate
energy.
7. We recycle at the highest level possible. Everything can be a resource.
You must know how to use it. Use what you have. Try to make the least change
produce the most effect.
8. A final ethic, which we practice in our community in Tasmania, is that we
divest ourselves of everything surplus to our needs. But we don't ask you to
do that.

I don't see anything there than needs changing.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
permaculture training by email. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O.
Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA  [email-masked]  

Peace without compromise is true peace.