Subject: Re:

From: [email-masked] (egidio reale)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 00:16:40 +0100

Would you know something particularly about tropical (marine,
semi-arid) habitats?  I'd like to organise an ecologically-sensitive house
with cultivation of the sandy soil.  It is by the sea, do you know anything
about possible uses of sea water?  Do you know of any passive solar
distiller models?

---

From: Pacific Edge Permaculture <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 20:38:31 +1100

egidio reale wrote:
> semi-arid) habitats?  I'd like to organise an ecologically-sensitive house with cultivation of the sandy soil.

I don't know anything about semi-arid tropical habitats - we're in a 
warm temperate coastal region with high rainfall.

There is a woman in Western Australia - Julie Firth - who gardens in a 
Mediterranean habitat which has dryland characteristics for part of the 
year.

She has written a small book called "Permaculture Garden Guidelines for 
Dryland Coastal Regions".

She doesn't have email but her postal address is: Julie Firth, Yilgarn 
Traders, Dryland Permaculture Research Farm, Lot 12, David Road, 
Waggrakine, Western Australia 6530.

>It is by the sea, do you know anything about possible uses of sea >water?  Do you know of any passive solar distiller models?

I know of none commercially available. 

Murdoch University's Remote Area Development Unit has developed a small 
solar desalinator for use in remote Aboriginal inland communities where 
ground water is salty and requires treatment to make it fit for human 
consumption.

You might obtain information on this and perhaps further informnation 
about where you could track down the information you need from Martin 
Anda at - [email-masked] - at the unit in Western Australia.

Another potential source of information would be the Intermediate 
Technology development Group in Lindon. I don't have an email for them.

Hope you find your information...

...Russ Grayson

-- 
PACIFIC EDGE PERMACULTURE
Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell
PO Box 446, Kogarah NSW 2217 AUSTRALIA

Phone	02-9588 6931	(IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
Fax 	02 330 2611 (Mark fax: ATTN: RUSS GRAYSON - APACE) 
	(IDD-61+2+330 2611)
Email: [email-masked]

Permaculture education, publishing, design. 
NSW co-ordinator, Australian City Farms and Gardens Network.

---

From: Pacific Edge Permaculture <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 20:38:31 +1100

...Russ Grayson