Subject: Re: Permaculture market garden

From: Rhys Howitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 14:28:55 +1100

Dan wrote:

>Yes, this works if you have the space.  Depending on climate, soils, the
>value of eggs vs vegetables in your profit margins, etc., you can have
>several plots and rotate them.  The trick then is to get your companion
>planting to work while you plant gardens that will be harvested all about the
>same time, despite the fact that they are mixed crops.  More divisions also
>allow for more space to veggies, which can be important to people on smaller
>plots.
>
Dan, thanks for the many interesting ideas.

Actually, I was talking to a biodynamic market gardener yesterday.  He said
that the ckickens are great to fertilise the soil, but do massive damage to
the soil structure.  They tend to compact the soil, they dig up the roots, etc.

He demonstrated the difference between his improved/improving soil and some
other soil that had not been aerated and treated with the various biodynamic
compounds (some of which do sound a bit far-fetched to me).  

Anyway, the proof was there in the obviously different soil, the low number
of pests,  and the quality of the produce.  

Therefore:

a) has anybody had any experience with permaculture-method market gardening, and

b) any comments on the above.

Thanks

Rhys Howitt
Crossroads Medieval Village Co-op 
Yass, NSW, Australia

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 10:11:14 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/25/97 11:49:26 PM, [email-masked] (Rhys

>b) any comments on the above.

I am not an idiot.  Obiously if I say it works I've got the experience to
back it up.  

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since 1982),
 Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
permaculture training by email. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O.
Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA  [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

---

From: Loren Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:15:47 -0800

>>the soil structure.  They tend to compact the soil, they dig up the roots,
(...)
>I am not an idiot.  Obiously if I say it works I've got the experience to

Um...Dan...I didn't see any implied insult in what Rhys wrote.  He was
merely quoting another "expert source" with findings different from yours,
and expressing confusion...which under the circumstances sounds perfectly
reasonable.

You have demonstrated a truly encyclopedic knowledge on this list, which I
think is wonderful and helpful.  However, and especially at times like this,
you also demonstrate what some could easily perceive as an arrogant, "I'm
always right and this is the ONE way to do Permaculture" attitude that has
made it difficult for several people on this list to benefit from the
knowledge that I know you have.

Please consider not only what you say, but how.

Loren
--
Loren Davidson      
[email-masked]         http://www.batnet.com/beauty/
"Songs of love and songs of death, and songs to set men free"
                  -- "Land Ho", The Doors