Subject: sawdust mulch

From: Greg Jarrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 20:50:37 -0600 (CST)

Greetings:

Anyone with comments on using sawdust for a garden mulch?  I know the danger
of tying up nitrogen, but I read that if it is not tilled in, the effect is
very minor.  Since I am working toward a no-till garden, that should not be
a problem.  

The crop I am particularly interested in this method for is beets.  For weed
suppression I need a very fine mulch that I can fill right in around the
plants after they are thinned.

Comments or other good ideas?

Regards,

******************************************
  Greg Jarrett     [email-masked]
   P.O. Box 93
    Fox, Arkansas  72051
     USA
      501/363-4532  fax 363-4578
******************************************