Subject: Plants for toxic areas

From: James M Kocher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:17:15 -0500 (EST)

I understand that mustard plants can be used to soak up toxins, such as
lead, from the soil.  The plants are then destroyed and not composted of
course.  It is alo my understanding that fruit in general does not
absorb toxins readily from the soil and thus can be planted safely in
such areas.

What other plants can be used to absorb toxins, and what other plants
are safe to plant and eat from in such areas?
                                                
Jim Kocher-Hillmer, Pittsburgh  PA  USA        
                                                
                \|/
                \|/
                 |

---

From: Linda Felch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 17:13:13 -0500 (EST)

Check out Plants for a Future at:
http://www.liv.ac.uk/%7Ermorris/pfaf/index.html

They have a database of 7000 plants which you can search for different 
uses, including pollution, and soil reclamation.

> Jim Kocher-Hillmer, Pittsburgh  PA  USA        

Linda Felch
[email-masked]
Baltimore, MD