Subject: request for information/assistance

From: "Clarence W. Walker Phone/Fax 1-770-392-1313" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 01:17:52 -0800

I have only recently discovered the "science" of biointensive
agriculture
(used because I know of no other proper term for this area of
holistically approached composting, soil management, and plant growth
that involves all sound and tested uses of microflora and fauna along
with organic, composting, french intensive, vermiculture and other
techniques).

For over thiry years I have subscribed to my own techniques and ideas
but only recently noticed them being addressed professionally. I am now
extremely interested in developing a more professional and applied
understanding of applied methodologies that include well thought out,
safe, practical,and scientific/agricultural engineering techniques and
procedural methodologies from A to Z in terms of organic waste
utilization, composting, applied microbiologicals at all appropriate
phases and for purposes such as more rapid conversion, more thorough
conversion of difficult organics, nitrogen fixation, ammonia conversion,
etc. in composting and in soil innoculation.

In short, I have no interest in becoming a soil scientist at 46 but do
have a strong interest in any  APPLIED systems, information, products,
or equipment associated with such processes.

Having just returned from a four day seminar in sustainable agriculture
I was disappointed at how little is available here in the U.S. either in
terms of information, products, or machinery that assists in composting.

Should you know of any available literature or sources of
information on these topics, please consider me your all too willing
sponge waiting to be absorb all that is available!

Likewise, should you know of any sources for a variety starter or
innoculant cultures or other microflora and fauna for any aspects or
phases of composting/soil development/farming/waste processing I would
certainly appreciate receiving information and /or samples.  

-- 
Industrial - Commercial - Municipal - Agricultural - Community 
Waste Processing - Consulting Marketing & Distribution Services
7500 Spalding Lane, Atlanta, Georgia 30350 Ph/Fax 770-392-1313

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 11:02:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Clarence

I, too, share your interest in bio-intensive farming, sustainable ag.

I'm in process of purchasing a farm near Greenwood, SC and hope to implement
many of the ideas and practices I have read about for so many, many years.

Now I want to incorporate them into an holistic plan that includes livestock.

Problem is I have not had thje extensive experience growing         various
plants because prior to this time I have not had the time/land etc and I was
too busy in my career.

I'm looking for practical, commercial scale tips and advice. I prefer to go
for organic certification, but I don't know if it's possible/realistic on a
commercial scale in my area.

Most extension folk are quite negative, full of omenous  warnings, and
recommend all sorts of pesticides that scare the hell out of me!

I'd like to direct market my produce to my customers via a local CSA, or
buying club.

I'm originally from NY, and am attempting to gather as much info on southern
markets; preferred vegetable varieties, local preferences as possible.

Any help, advice , comments you or others on the list can give me would be
most appreciated.

Please post responses you reveive to the list or to me by E-Mail if
appropriate.  Thanks to all.  frank

---

From: Greg Jarrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 22:27:33 -0600 (CST)

>I'd like to direct market my produce to my customers via a local CSA, or

The best periodical we have found for exactly this type of information is:
  
  Growing for Market
  P.O. Box 3747
  Lawrence, KS  66046
  800-307-8949

Lynn does an outstanding job--she is a market gardener herself and delves
into the questions and problems growers really face.  We rely on it
constantly for all sorts of information.  Also, check into the back issues
she has available.

>Any help, advice , comments you or others on the list can give me would be

Start small and grow.  Sell to retail customers rather than wholesale.
Listen and develop relationships; people will tell you clearly what they want.

******************************************
  Greg Jarrett     [email-masked]
   P.O. Box 93
    Fox, Arkansas  72051
     USA
      501/363-4532  fax 363-4578
******************************************