Subject: Permaculture Training Online Begins in January

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 07:38:34 -0500

In a message dated 11/20/96 8:50:11 PM, [email-masked] (Asociacion
Pukllasunchis) wrote:

<<Please include my e-mail address on your listserver for information about
permaculture. We work on education and we are starting a project with
environmental education and agroecology in Cusco, Peru. Any information
related to these topics will be shared friendly. Juan Diego Lopez-Giraldo

Short Version:  Permaculture Training Online Begins in January

Following a large positive response to our suggestion for permaculture design
training online, Elfin permaculture has developed a number of programs.
 These are:

*  Permaculture Design Course.
*  Permaculture Design Support for DYI Home Designers
*  Low Cost Options for Permaculture Training
*  Permaculture Design Clinic

PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE (PDC)
	This course reflects a dozen years of our experience in teaching the
Permaculture Design Course worldwide.  Along the way, we adapted many of the
details in this course incorporating what we learned from student groups. We
strive for a version of the one-room school house in which students learn
from students as well as from the teacher. This is consistent with the
permaculture principle of fully utilizing all available resources that suit a
given purpose.  

	THE FIRST ELFIN PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE ONLINE WILL BEGIN IN THE FIRST
WEEK OF JANUARY, 1997.

PDC CONTENT--Elfin Permaculture is adapting its three-week live permaculture
design course to serve as a correspondence course with an email classroom.
The program follows the same outline as our three week standard Permaculture
Design Course. We will revise it from time to time to keep pace with
revisions in the live design course or to adapt to the special circumstances
of internet communication. Until we have completed the conversion of our
course notes to the email format, you may get a good idea of course content
by ordering Yankee Permaculture Paper #24 from our regular order form. 
	Section 1:  Introduction and Basic Principles
		a)  World ecological problems and interrelationships.
		b)  Principles of natural design.
		c)  Permaculture design concepts.
		d)  Classical landscapes.
		e)  Patterning, edges, edge effects.
		f)  The Permaculture Design Report
		g)  Principles of transformation (in process--will be included if completed
at the time--this is not part of ordinary permaculture design courses.)
	Section 2:  Appropriate Technologies in Permaculture Design
		a)  Energy--solar, wind, hydro, biomass, etc.
		b)  Nutrient cycles--soil, microclimates, gardening methods, perennials,
tree crops, food parks, composting toilets, livestock, "pest" management,
food storage, seed saving, cultivated systems, forests,  etc.
		c)  Water--impoundments, aquaculture, conservation, etc.
		d)   Buildings.
	Section 3:  Social permaculture.  Design Report.
		a)   Design for catastrophe.
		b)  Urban permaculture.
		c)  Bioregionalism.
		d)  Alternative economics.
		e)  Village development.
		f)  Final design reports and critiques.
		g)  Final evaluation.

The course will complete within six months.  Students will complete reading
assignments, participate in an email classroom, make at least one formal
presentation to the class, complete other assignments from time to time, and
prepare a permaculture design. Successful completion of class requirements
leads to permaculture certification.  

Enrollment is limited to 20 students.  The next online course will be offered
in about a year.

People with limited funds can monitor the course for a small fee.  There are
other plans for people who want to study permaculture at a faster or slower
rate.

For full details, including all financial terms, request the long version of
this announcement.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now permaculture
training in an email classroom. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway.
[email-masked]  P.O. 2025, Ocala FL 3447-2025 USA.

We don't have time to rush.