Subject: community gardens, city planning

From: [email-masked] (Warwick Rowell)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 05:59:31 WST

Look carefully at the area, its population, and their characteristics.

I ran a community garden for three years which had over 200 flats and 
units within three minutes walking distance of the garden, and never 
had more than twelve people involved, which dwindled rapidly to a 
average three or four.  

It is now just about rampant, as the present person in charge also
has a small house block and two kids to attend to, and the local 
primary school now has its own garden and a massive rebeautification 
program for its P&C after a major building program.

This inner city suburb was/is discovering the delights of the cafe 
life-style, with capaccinos and croissants, rather than organic veg
you've grown yourself, and birds picking your hair for their nests!

So, doing it again, I would 
1. 	Go for the NEED. 
Look for the people older, or disabled in some way, who have a 
garden, a fruit tree, a lawn they can no longer maintain, and build 
community around helping them while sharing the produce. 
2. 	Do a neighbourhood inventory.
Particularly in the older suburbs, there will be things like lemons, 
figs, mulberries, oranges, mandarins, almost going to waste.. You could
well find some heirloom varieties that you could propogate.

Policy? 

Since when you could make policy for motivation, awareness and interest?
The policy is to get out of the way of people taking charge of themselves.

Warwick    

PS Could the list mom tell me how to resubscribe to permaculture-mg 
please?

Wx 
--
 ______________________________________________________________
                 [email-masked]                  
      Permaculture Applications Consulting & Education  
   46 Bay View Crescent Dunsborough Western Australia 6281  

     Management Consultant     Permaculture Designer          
   "Helping Managers Learn"___"Helping Land Managers Learn"

Building a new life and a 140 ha farm/village at 3339S 11504E

---

From: Emanuele John Gelsi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 22:40:34 +1000 (GMT+1000)

Dear Warwick, 
		could you please tell me where was the community garden  
in question? 

Emanuele J Gelsi

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Warwick Rowell wrote:

> Look carefully at the area, its population, and their characteristics.> 

> PS Could the list mom tell me how to resubscribe to permaculture-mg 

Emanuele John Gelsi 
[email-masked]
Dept of Anthropology and Sociology
University of Qld	Australia