Subject: Re: Virus (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:05:21 WST

>From: "Shane O'Brien-Lynch" <[email-masked]>
>To: Permaculture WA <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Virus (fwd)
>X-Listprocessor-Version: eepo-0.11 -- EEPO ListServer
>X-Comment:          Permaculture in Western Australia
>
>Victor Guest wrote:
>
>> From: "The Howell's" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> Hey guys, I don't know if this mail I got has anything to do with April
>> fools day, but just in case it doesn't I decided to pass it on.
>
>> This information was received this morning from IBM, please
>> share it with anyone that might access the Internet:
>
>> If anyone receives mail entitled; PENPAL GREETINGS! please delete
>> it WITHOUT reading it!!  This is a warning for all Internet users
>> there is a dangerous virus propagating across the Internet
>> through an e-mail  message entitled 'PENPAL GREETINGS!". DO NOT DOWNLOAD
>
>Ho hum. This type of hoax re-emerges approximately once every 6 months
>in my experience. It was called something else last time, but never
>mind.
>
>When you download mail, nothing happens. You are reading text. Nothing
>is executed, which is required for viral infection. It's like saying "if
>someone posts you a picture of a gun, duck"

When you receive files which word has to interpret it appears that these
files can now include virus'.
>
>The only way this causes problems is that people start sending mails
>everywhere about it, clogging bandwidth and filling disks.

F-Macrow is a scanning tool to scan for virus' which come in Word
Document files and is available off the net.

 What to scan        - Selects whether or not to scan files with
                      standard extensions for Word and Excel (*.DOC,
                      *.DOT, *.XL?), or whether to scan files with any
                      extension.

I have just been downloading files sent in base64 (MAcintosh) which 
include all of the printer configeration etc. so with the Word virus
now outside of the exe or com file type virus You should all be aware
of having to be on your toes.

One of our users has had this virus in a word document.

>I guarantee this would not have come from IBM. 
Or Ford.
>Cheers
>Shane

I did fall for the joke though.

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
[email-masked]                  11 Carew Place Greenwood 6024 
                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:----
                 -----: Men Of The Trees :------
           ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling :------
                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----