Subject: invitation (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 11:15:02 WST

Hope you can come!! Please let people know--make copies, post, forward,
spread the word:

E. F. Schumacher Society Decentralist Conference
June 27-29, 1997 at Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

Alana Probst is Vice President and Director of Economic Development for
EcoTrust of Portland, Oregon. Probst develops and directs programs to assist
environmentally responsible businesses in the coastal temperate rain forests
of the Northwest. In addition, she is involved in a joint venture between
EcoTrust and Shorebank Corporation of Chicago  which includes a permanent
development institution called ShoreTrust, the First Environmental
Bancorporation.

June Holley is President of Appalachian Center for Economic Networks for
Economic Networks in Athens, Ohio. In that capacity, Holley has successfully
fostered worker owned and managed businesses. More recently, she has
developed a system of "flexible manufacturing" units--small businesses that
come together to respond to a specific business opportunity and then regroup
in new combinations as the need arises. Based on a model popular in northern
Italy, flexible manufacturing enterprises are a proven tool for small
business development.

Also participating: John McClaughry, President of Ethan Allen Institute;
Kirkpatrick Sale, author of *Human Scale* and *Rebels Against the Future*;
Robert Swann, President of the E. F. Schumacher Society and more.  
  
FEATURING PANELS AND WORKSHOPS ON: 
Local currency projects
Regional food systems
Micro-enterprise loan funds
Consumer and worker cooperatives
Flexible manufacturing enterprises
Grass roots environmental protection projects
Community building information technology
Neighborhood revitalization

The First Annual Decentralist Conference included over 50 workshops on
community based approaches to solving our most pressing problems.  The E. F.
Schumacher Society is again joining with co-sponsoring organizations to
convene the second annual conference on decentralism and the practical
details of creating more human scale institutions.   The conference will
bring together academics and activists, liberals and conservatives-people who
have learned how to make communities and neighborhoods work better. 

We look forward to your participation! 

Conference attendees should arrive in the late afternoon of June 27th and
leave mid-afternoon on June 29th.  Registrants will receive a detailed
Conference Schedule in the mail.

 E. F. Schumacher Society, 140 Jug End Road, Great Barrington, MA 01230
(413) 528-1737, <[email-masked]>, http://members.aol.com/efssociety

anyon