Subject: Annual Permaculture Letter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:12:40 -0500

Dear Friends:
 Each year we write to a number of people who share our goals to halt and
reverse destruction to the environment. Sometimes it seems that the victories
in defense of Mother Earth are few and temporary and the press to consume
ecosystems ever more frantic and destructive. We need to touch base with one
another, surely for reassurance and support, and, even more important, so
that we can combine our resources. We believe that this quiet network of
people, each doing what they can to save and nurture part of the planet,
grows. We believe that each of you who receives this letter, and millions
more, works in his or her own way  to restrain the destruction of Mother
Earth and to further her healing and sustenance.
 We are trying hard to do our share. As I write this letter, we are adapting
our three-week Elfin Permaculture Design Course, evolved since 1984, to offer
as a correspondence course over the internet. We will retain the content of
our "live" course, but conduct discussions in an "email classroom." We will
supplement the extensive reading list with email transmissions, computer
disks, and other documents. We have received a very large response to our
initial inquiries and expect that the email course will be a major part of
our permaculture teaching henceforth.
 Another important innovation is the inception of a three-year program with
Permaculture Network/Foundation, Kenya, which was founded in response to our
proposal. It all began when Michael Odula of Kenya wrote asking us to teach a
course.  We then told Michael about the three-year model that we developed
for annual visits, intern exchanges, correspondence, and if possible, email
information exchanges.  The goal will be to support the rapid development of
local expertise at a permaculture center for education, demonstration,
research, resources, and outreach. They have already received donations of
several parcels in the Homa Bay region on Lake Victoria as well as
contributions from Yankee Permaculture and others for their library.  We
badly need money to begin. Please contribute. Write for a copy of the budget.

 The project is developing in unexpected ways. Mrs. Odula, who is an
important organizer for women's health in the region, has written to Cynthia
about integrating crucial health issues into the program.  This is something
we, Cynthia and Dan, have discussed for years. Perhaps our most exciting
development of 1996 is to have a long term involvement with a group where
Cynthia's expertise in wholistic medicine, women's health, and permaculture
can be fully challenged. Moreover, Mrs. Odula is already talking about
exchanges between traditional practitioners and Cynthia, who is a Certified
Nurse Midwife in the US.
 Closely connected to the Kenyan project is revival of our interest in direct
study of chinampas. These highly productive swamp gardens developed centuries
ago in the area now called Mexico City. We would like to visit the chinampas
that remain and work with the chinamperos. We have made important contacts to
further this work through the internet.  Chinampas could well create
additional croplands on the shores of shallow Lake Victoria, for example,
providing a place to grow food for people who sorely need it. Of course,
successful transfer of chinampas to Kenya would have benefits to many other
places and could prevent further drainage of wetlands for cropland. This
project, also, needs funding, though the initial expenses are more modest.
 Since our last letter, Yankee Permaculture began a new publication, PROD
(Permaculture Review, Overview, and Digest.) We have offered several new
publications, including Patiofarming in the Tropics and Subtropics by Dr.
Frank Martin and How to Live--Free at Last by Dr. Pat ffyske Howden. We have
come out with a major revision of Yankee Permaculture Paper #13, Domestic
Energy Conservation & Generation: References, Resources and Suppliers.  And
we have picked up several new publications, including a new and much improved
edition of Water for Every Farm  by the late P. A. Yeomans, The Humanure
Handbook by JC Jenkins, and the periodical Caretaker Gazette, an invaluable
resource for people of limited funds who seek access to land. We continued
our update of existing publications, notably completing our project to
upgrade the Permaculture Design Course Pamphlet series.
 Due to setbacks in our Tree Bank program that center around our dependence
on volunteers we have put the project on the back burner. However, we have
proposed a Tropical Tree Bank and received some interest in establishing such
a network of genetic reserves of tropical species useful in permaculture.
With the decreased activity of Tree Bank, our Robin newsletter will change
character, becoming more of a permaculture question and answer forum. Dan has
also begun another such forum in column form in Pomona,  the publication of
the North American Fruit Explorers. 
 Unfortunately, progress on some fronts has slowed action on others. Right
after we launched PROD, we decided to move to Florida for economic reasons.
We have been in housing limbo for nearly six months, resulting in a virtual
halt of new issues of our serial publications. We have now found land to base
our permaculture activities. The purchase may be complete by the time that
you get this letter. Much of our prospective home is wetlands, and we expect
to be developing our own chinampas integrated with aquaculture and designed
by permaculture principles. In addition, we will run comparisons of upland
rice culture using Fukuoka methods with paddy rice systems integrated with
aquaculture. We will also see if taro can be grown in Central Florida and of
course establish many species and varieties of tree crops. Dan is
particularly excited about the prospect of utilizing Asian water buffalo in
these projects as he has long been a proponent of adopting them in warm
portions of the US.
 We seek help to continue our work. We need collaborators, volunteers,
interns, fundraisers and others who wish to be part of such projects. They
can be local folks or people who contribute by mail or internet. They can be
beginners or people seeking advanced training. Purchase of our publications
for your own use or as gifts will help. Contributions of money can make a
major difference to our projects for people with little means.
 We hope that our publications and teaching help you become more effective in
the ways in which you work for the Earth. However you work for Mother Earth,
we send our support and appreciation, renewed again at the dwindling of
another year.  
For Mother Earth

Dan and Cynthia Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture publications, Elfin
Permaculture teaching & consulting, and the Forest Ecosystem Rescue Network

Yankee Permaculture Order Form
P.O. Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA
Please enter Name, Address (including country) and eMail address.

 Office  Use
Name Order #_______
 Check #______
Address Amt $________
 Addition x_____
 P&H x________
 Date_________
Postal Code                                      Country
                                      Date            Back Order____
 Processed by__
Email address:  Ship__________

Permaculture Journals Quantity Price 
The International Permaculture Solutions Journal (TIPS), Vol. II,
prepublication, $25.00. TIPS II __ $_________
The International Permaculture Solutions Journal (TIPS), Vol. I, 100 pp.
$25.00. TIPS I __ $_________
LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION, TIPS, $250. (Reduced price--we're getting older!)
TLIFE __ $_________
The International Permaculture Species Yearbook (TIPSY)   
   TIPSY #4, 144 pp, $15. TIPSY 4 __ $_________
   TIPSY # 3,  96 pp, $11. TIPSY 3 __ $_________
   TIPSY # 2,  74 pp, $8.50. TIPSY 2 __ $_________
   TIPSY # 1,  72 pp, $8.50. TIPSY 1 __ $_________
All four TIPSYS     SPECIAL PRICE     $35.00. 4  TIPSYS __ $_________
TRIP (Global Green Directory), Vol. VI, about 1870  listings, + update
service, $25.00. TRIP VI __ $_________
TRIP  on 3.5-inch Computer Disk, Mac formats, $50. PC formats, $60. Specify.
 TRIP FD __ 
Other Publications Quantity Price 
Permaculture, A Designers' Manual, Bill Mollison (AKA A Practical Guide...),
$55. PDM __ $_________
Introduction to Permaculture, Bill Mollison, $20.             REDUCED FROM
$30! IPC __ $_________
Designing & Maintaining Your Edible Landscape - Naturally,  Robert Kourik,
$22. DMEL __ $_________
Permaculture II, Bill Mollison, $19. MARKED DOWN TO $5.00 FOR CLEARANCE PCII
__ $_________
The Man Who Planted Hope & Grew Happiness, Giono.  $2.50. TMW __ $_________
Personal Action Guide for the Earth, Friends of the UN.  $2.00. Guide __
$_________
Rights to Our Genetic Resources, Sahabat Alam Malaysia.  $2.00. ROGR __
$_________
The Humanure Handbook, A Guide  to Composting Human Manure, J. C. Jenkins
$19.00 Manu __ $_________
Water for Every Farm: Yeomans Keyline Plan,  P.A. Yeomans. New Improved
Edition.  $30.00 WEF __ $_________
The  Caretaker Gazette  [Creative Access to Land] Subscription, $24. CARE __
$_________
PROD: Permaculture  Review, Overview, and  Digest.  4 issues, $15 PROD __
$_________
Robin Newsletter. Serves Forest Ecosystem Rescue Network &  Permaculture
Solutions Networks.  $15. Robin __ $_________

Permaculture Design Course Pamphlet Series  Quantity Price 
Complete Set of 15 Pamphlets.  Bill Mollison.  $35 $35.00 SET __ $_________
Complete Set on 3.5" Floppy Disk (MS Word for Mac, inquire about other
formats)  $50.00 SET FD __ $_________
I     An Introduction to Permaculture. (Updated resources.) $3.50 I __
$_________
II    Permaculture in Humid Landscapes. $7.50 II __ $_________
III   Permaculture in Arid Landscapes, $3.75 III __ $_________
IV   Permaculture on Low Islands.  (See V for combined price.)  IV  
V    Permaculture on High Islands.          (IV, V, & VI offered as one
pamphlet.) $2.50 V __ $_________
VI   Permaculture on Granitic Landscapes.  (See V for combined price.)  VI  
VII  Permaculture for Fire Control.  (See XV for combined price.)  VII  
VIII Designing for Permaculture.(New material added, new edition) $8.50 VIII
__ $_________
IX   Permaculture Techniques.(New material added, new edition) $8.50 IX __
$_________
X    Forests in Permaculture. $6.25 X __ $_________
XI   Water in Permaculture.  (New Edition) $3.75 XI __ $_________
XII  Permaculture for Urban Areas & Urban-Rural Linkages. With New Resource
List $3.00 XII __ $_________
XIII The Permaculture Community. $2.00 XIII __ $_________
XIV The Permaculture Alternative. $2.50 XIV __ $_________
XV  Permaculture for Millionaires. $2.50 XV __ $_________
1 Please send information about bulk orders of your publications. I enclose
email address or SASE or international return mail coupons.
1 Please add the names of my friends to your mailing list. They are attached.
 I  enclose a contribution for postage. 
1 Please let me know when you will host the Elfin Permaculture Design Course.
 I may wish to attend.
Last update: 10/17/96
 Permaculture Papers
1. The Onions,  compiled by Bill Mollison. $2.00 1. __ $_________
2. The Palms, compiled by Bill Mollison. $3.50 2. __ $_________
3. Useful Bamboos, compiled by Andrew Jeeves. Includes new list of bamboo
groups. $3.50 3. __ $_________
4. Useful Cactus, Agave and Aloe Species, compiled by Reny Slay. $3.50 4. __
$_________
5.  Useful Climbing Plants, compiled by Bill Mollison. $4.50 5. __ $_________
6. Useful Plants of Wetlands, compiled by Bill Mollison.   $4.00 6. __
$_________
7. Panchavati: The Sacred Ayurvedic Grove of India,  compiled by Bill
Mollison & Reny Slay. $3.50 7. __ $_________
8. Bioregional Organization, by Bill Mollison. $2.00 8. __ $_________
9. Important Legumes of Use, compiled by John Fargher.  NEW EDITION EASIER TO
READ! $5.00 9. __ $_________
10. Erosion: Principles and Management, by John Fargher. $4.50 10. __
$_________
11. Arid Land Water Harvesting, by John Fargher. $4.00 11. __ $_________
12. The Oaks,  by John Fargher. $2.00 12. __ $_________
13. Domestic Energy, Mollison, et al.. NORTH AMERICAN EDITION UPDATED IN
1996! $6.00 13. __ $_________
14.  Village Power Generation & Energy Conservation, Mollison. UPDATED
RESOURCES. $10.00 14. __ $_________
15. Permaculture Village Development, Mollison. Extensive resource updates.
$9.00 15. __ $_________
16.  Gardening Articles, by Dan Hemenway. Reprints. $5.00 16. __ $_________
17.  Composting Human Wastes, by Dan Hemenway & David Stephens. Reprints.
Frank language. $2.00 17. __ $_________
18. Basic Permaculture Article,  by Dan Hemenway.  Reprint. $1.50 18. __
$_________
19. Pig Raising and Free Range Forage Species,  by Bill Mollison. $2.50 19.
__ $_________
20. Circle Garden Patterns.  One page of drawings by Richard Webb, text by
Dan Hemenway. $1.50 20. __ $_________
21.  Permaculture Design Client Survey. 20 pages of questions. UPDATED Price
includes review of answers by Dan Hemenway, author.  Available for license to
other permaculture designers. 
$500.00 
21. 
__ 
$_________
22. Permaculture Center Proposal, UPDATED . By  Dan & Cynthia Hemenway.
$12.00 22. __ $_________
23.  Elfin Permaculture Press List. 700+ entries.  Print. Inquire about
availability on computer disk. $30.00 23. __ $_________
24.  The Elfin Permaculture Design Course. UPDATED OUTLINE $4.00 24. __
$_________
26. Forest Ecosystem Rescue Network (FERN)  Information Packet.  Public
domain reprints for activists, teachers, students and others.   Extensive
list of active groups, frequently updated. 
$15.00 
26. 
__ 
$_________
27.  Special Order Catalog. Permaculture designs, species lists, resource
lists, data bases, transla-tions, out of print papers, etc., available on a
custom basis. Includes descriptions. 
$3.50 
27. 
__ 
$_________
28. The Politics of Diversity by Vandana Shiva. (Reprint from Permaculture
Activist .) Very important! $3.50 28. __ $_________
29. The Permaculture Resource Directory, Richard Webb. The bible for anyone
in PC. $15.00 29. __ $_________
30. Articles About Soil, by Dan Hemenway. Reprints from Soil Remineralization
, et al. $6.00 30. __ $_________
31. Plants for Use in Permaculture in the Tropics, by Frank Martin. (Add
$2.50 for 3-ring binder.) $20.00 31. __ $_________
E31. Plants for Use in Permaculture in the Tropics on Floppy Disk. Mac, $35.
PC, $60. Specify.  E31. __ $_________
32. List of Useful Publications.  About 650 entries from the TRIP data base.
Included with TRIP. $10.00 32. __ $_________
33. Reference package. #23, #29, & #32.  Minimal overlap. Names & addresses
of thousands of publications. $45.00 33. __ $_________
34. Kudzu Utilization Concept Paper, by Dan Hemenway. UPDATED  $5.00 34.  __
$_________
35. A Guide to Yankee Permaculture Publications - 1983-1995. 6 pp, 17 tables.
NEW $3.00 35. __ $_________
36. Patiofarming in the Tropics and Subtropics,  Frank Martin. REDUCED FROM
$15.00! $12.00 36. __ $_________
37.  Permaculture Supplier List. 700+ addresses. Print out, $50. Mac 3.5"
disk, $50; PC, $60  37. __ $_________

INFORMATION SHEETS--One Dollar Each   
1  Elfin Permaculture Slide/Script Presentations for sale.  1 Hosting
Permaculture Lectures &/or Weekend Workshops.
1  Elfin Permaculture Design & Consulting Services. 1 Hosting 10 or 14 day
 workshops, or 3-week design courses.
Elfin Permaculture Workshops.    1 10-14 days. 1  Advanced Permaculture
Training (APT) Programs.
                                                               1  Weekends. 1
 Elfin Permaculture Services for Design Course Graduates.
1  Elfin Permaculture Internships/Apprentices/Volunteers. 1  Reading List for
Elfin Permaculture Workshops & Courses.
1  Elfin Permaculture Design Correspondence Course. 1  Elfin Permaculture
Email Permaculture Design Correspondence Course  
1  Forest Ecosystem Rescue Network's Tree Bank Program.  1  YPC Publications
& Databases on Computer Disk
1  Contents Pages, back TIPSY journals. 1  Custom Searches of YPC Databases 
  Number of sheets ordered                                 X   $1.00    =
   $__________

SUBTOTAL  (Minimum order,
US$5.00)......................................................................
....................................... $____________
Postage & Handling  US addresses add 10% of first $150 of order. Elsewhere
add 20 %.  MINIMUM P&H - US$3.00,.... $____________
Contributions to supply literature  requested by "Third World" groups, grade
school students, etc.............   $____________
Other Contributions (Scholarship fund, Tree Tithe,  "Third World" courses,
etc.  Please specify)..........................  $____________
TOTAL Enclosed is my check or money order payable to Yankee Permaculture
 MINIMUM TOTAL, US$8.00...... ____________ $____________
    * A  service charge will be assessed for correspondence on orders which
are underpaid or unclear. Because of exorbitant bank fees to exchange
non-U.S. currency into U.S. dollars, we can only accept payment by check
drawn on a U.S. bank or by International Postal Money Order in U.S. dollars.
 IMPORTANT--Make postal money orders payable exactly as fol-lows:  "Dan or
Cynthia Hemenway." The U.S. Post office may refuse to cash money orders
payable to Yankee Permaculture!  
   A SERVICE CHARGE of at least $15.00 will be assessed for returned checks.
 We do not carry accounts--payment must accompany order.
   REFUND POLICY:  There will be no refunds for permaculture papers and
pamphlets or for any publications bought on sale, as part of a set, or at
discount. Also there are no refunds on slide/script sets, special order
publications, and other materials provided on a custom basis. All other
publications returned within 30 days of shipment (exceptions made for orders
shipped surface mail) in new condition will be refunded without question.  NO
REFUNDS on computer disks. We will replace defective disks or publications
returned within 60 days.
   CHANGE OF ADDRESS:  It  is your responsibility to notify us if your
address changes. Be sure to let us know of  your subscriptions and any other
outstanding orders.  Include your order number and your old address.
   TREE TITHE:  As of January 1, 1985, all Yankee Permaculture publications
carry in their price a Tree Tithe.  We set aside this money for re-planting
trees to compensate for those cut to make the paper that we use.
 Contributions to the Tree Tithe Fund are accepted. 
Last Revised 10/11/96

Please contact us if you wish to be removed from this mailing list.