Subject: perm. definition

From: HELEN COLEMAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:48:12 +0800

Dear friends,

As a new member I am proudly telling friends that I have joined the local
Permaculture group.  However, as soon as I try to explain what this means,
their eyes go glazed and they quickly become confused and disinterested!
Does anyone have a user-friendly definition that makes sense to the layman,
and will encourage people to find out more rather than put them off?

Helen Coleman

---

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 20:03:11 WST

>and will encourage people to find out more rather than put them off?

Sustainable community, sustainable environment, sustainable agriculture with
home grown organic food, energy efficient homes, holistic management with
Chemical free living. A healthy way of living.

Monoculture as a sort of rule of thumb can only produce about 10% of the 
natural bush. The microcosm's around a house can produce all of the
environments from temperate to tropical. If the house covers half the block
in a 20in rainfall and we save the water from the roof area. and use it to 
grow food, we are effectively in a 40inch rainfall. Permaculturists believe
that we could produce the worlds food on 4.5% of the arable land.

 When I spoke to the SOMA group about Permaculture I found a quote which
defined Permaculture in 2 paragraphs. I read this to the group and then 
answered questions for the next 50 minutes. I can't find it.

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
[email-masked]                  11 Carew Place Greenwood 6024 
                ----: Sustainable Agriculture :----   Tel. (09) 2464674
--: The Land Management Society & The Permaculture Association:----
                 -----: Men Of The Trees :------
           ------: Revaluation Co-Counseling :------
                -----: AAEE  and Greenteach :-----