Subject: Community Ag Development Study Tour #2 (fwd)

From: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 11:36:48 -0400 (EDT)

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: [email-masked] (Judy Green)
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture
Subject: Community Ag Development Study Tour #2
Date: 16 Oct 1996 01:58:45 -0400
Organization: sustag-public mailing list

Jefferson County Study Tour Will Highlight Community Agriculture Development

Jefferson County, New York will host a two-day "Farming For The Future"
study tour on November 1 in Watertown, NY, featuring community leaders and
innovative farmers who have worked together successfully to strengthen
agriculture in the county.

The study tour is designed for agricultural and community leaders including
Extension and other USDA staff, Agriculture and Farmland Protection Board
members, local and regional planners, economic and community development
professionals and others with an interest in the future of local
agriculture.

Below is detailed program information and a registration form. Thanks for
your interest.

Judy Green, Cornell Farming Alternatives Program

LINKING AGRICULTURE AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN YOUR COUNTY: A STUDY TOUR
OF JEFFERSON COUNTY, NEW YORK

Friday November 1, 1996    Watertown, NY
(Watertown is located approximately 70 miles north of Syracuse on Route 81)

A Study Tour of Community Agriculture Development for: 	
* Economic Development Leaders
* Tourism Personnel
* Ag & Farmland  Protection Boards
* Extension  Educators
* USDA Agency  Staff
* Community Development Leaders
* Local Planners
* Local Government
* Agriculture & Business Lenders

GOALS FOR PARTICIPANTS:
* To examine the importance and understand the potential that agriculture
has in local economic development
* To observe and learn from a county that has been successful in linking
agriculture and economic development initiatives
* To observe and begin to develop local initiatives that will link
agriculture and economic development in your county
* To develop local partnerships that will enhance the future of local
agriculture

Workshop begins at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Jefferson County,
Empsall Plaza, 223 JB Wise Place, Watertown. Tour bus returns to
Cooperative Extension building at 4:30 PM.

PROGRAM:

9:15 am - Registration begins

10:00 am - Morning Workshop

A Team Approach in Jefferson County
Dave Bruce and Craig Trowbridge, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Jefferson
County

Economic & Community Impacts of Agriculture in NYS and Jefferson County
Tom Thacher, Yellow Wood Associates

Jefferson County's Approach to Linking Agriculture and Economic Development
Tracy Ferry, Jefferson County Industrial Development Agency (JCIDA)

12:00 - 4:00 	Study Tour
Bus transportation & lunch provided (for preregistrants)

Video Tour of North Country Dairy Service, Inc.
North Country Dairy Service began business as an independent Alfa Laval
Agri dealer in November of 1993 with two employees, including the owner,
Edward Graham. Today their 5 full time employees service a four County area
which includes approximately 350 dairy farms. In addition to selling Alfa
Laval, North Country Dairy Service, Inc. installs, maintains and services
all lines of dairy equipment including feeding systems, milking equipment
and animal health products.

Agribusiness Retention and Enhancement: Michael Northrop & Sons.
Milking 75 cows three times a day, and raising crops on 120 acres, this is
a highly productive family business. In June of 1995, fire destroyed the
dairy barn and JCIDA financed the construction of a new tie-stall barn.
Economic development money coupled with commercial lending made this an
affordable and attractive financing package for this dairy farm.

Value-Added Processing and Agritourism: Robbins Farm & Old MacDonald's
Childrens Farm.
Mr. Robbins milks 90 cows and works about 1,400 acres, growing corn,
soybeans, alfalfa, wheat and beans. JCIDA assisting in financing a soybean
roaster to add value to the raw product . Mrs. Robbins operates "Old
MacDonald's Childrens Farm," an educational tour farm which includes over
100 animals. JCIDA also helped to provide financing for this successful
agritourism enterprise.

Return to Extension Building at 4:30 PM

STUDY TOUR SPONSORS:
Cornell Farming Alternatives Program
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Jefferson County
Jefferson County Industrial Development Agency
Farming For The Future Leadership Initiative
NY FarmNet
NY Rural Development Council
Seaway Trail, Inc.
Yellow Wood Associates, Inc.
Cornell Cooperative Extension
Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Northeast SARE Program

REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
Please print and fill out the following registration form, and mail to the
address below with your check. Registration fee of $20.00 per person
includes bus transportation and lunch, if postmarked on or before October
26.

NOTE: Registrations postmarked after October 26 DO NOT include lunch or bus
transportation

For further information contact Joan Padula at the Farming Alternatives
Program, 607-255-9832, or email [email-masked]

********************************************************************
REGISTRATION FOR NOV. 1 JEFFERSON COUNTY STUDY TOUR

Name(s)	
	
Farm/Organiz/Business	

Address				

City		                          State	        ZIP	

Phone (	   )

Email		

Primary role:
[ ] Farmer       [ ] Educator     [ ] Government    [ ] Tourism
[ ] Planner      [ ] Lender       [ ] Extension/USDA
[ ] Other:		

Total Amount enclosed:

Please make check payable to:
Cornell University

Mail check to:
Farming Alternatives Program
17 Warren Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853

Or, give your Cornell Cooperative Extension account number:

********************************************************************

Judy Green                              Phone: 607-255-9832
Coordinator                             Fax: 254-2896
Farming Alternatives Program            Email: [email-masked]
Dept. of Rural Sociology
B17 Warren Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY  14853-7801

------- end of forwarded message -------

-- 
:
Lawrence F. London, Jr., Venaura Farm, Chapel Hill, NC USA 
mailto:[email-masked] - http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
Organic Agriculture-Farmscaping-CSA-Permaculture-Renewable Energy Information
:

---

From: Larry London <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 11:36:48 -0400 (EDT)

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: [email-masked] (Judy Green)
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture
Subject: Community Ag Development Study Tour #2
Date: 16 Oct 1996 01:58:45 -0400
Organization: sustag-public mailing list

GOALS FOR PARTICIPANTS:

PROGRAM:

12:00 - 4:00 	Study Tour

STUDY TOUR SPONSORS:

Name(s)	
	
Farm/Organiz/Business	

Address				

City		                          State	        ZIP	

Phone (	   )

Email		

Primary role:

Total Amount enclosed:

Mail check to: