Subject: Plant Suppliers

From: "Mr R.J. Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:57:05 +0100

Hullo Folks,
	One of the most frequent questions I get ask by people looking
at the Plants For A Future web site is
:
	do you know any where in the US where I could get some
	of the unusual permaculture plants?

Living in the UK its kind of a hard question to answer. So I though
I'd ask the list. I'd quite like to compile a page with lists of
good suppliers in various bio-reagions. Any help much appreciated,
in particular does any one know places to get some of the Crataegus Species
(Hawthorns). 

	Many thanks

		Rich Morris

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:54:45 -0400

Hi Rich Morris:

We publish a database, available on disk or as print-out called the
Permaculture Supplier List that provides the information that you seek and
more. Of the 887 suppliers listed this morning, about 2/3, at a guess, are
suppliers of plant propagation materials such as seeds, rootstocks, container
plants, bare-root stock, etc. We also distribute, as do many permaculture
organizations, Cornucopia, a book which gives extensive listings worldwide of
plants that have any food use as well listing their alternate uses.
Cornucopia is also available on disk.  In addition, we publish exclusively
Plants for Use in Permaculture in the Tropics as one of our regular papers
and offer an Inventory of Tropical Vegetables on special order.  Note that
many parts of the US have tropical climates, e.g. Puerto Rico, the US Virgin
Islands, the state of Hawaii, American Samoa and the Marshall Islands.  In
addition, we have specialized data bases for particular plant use, mainly on
our special order list.  In your own country, Agroforestry Research Trust in
Dartington is an important source of speices native to the US as well of
European origin and has additional resource lists. This is an outstanding
resource and cannot be supported too much. Finally, we have a genetic
resources catogeory of our organization database, TRIP (The Resources of
International Permaculture). TRIP contains 110 entries, as of this morning,
in the Genetic Resources category, with most of these concerned with plants.
 Overall, TRIP contains 2074 entries this morning and these are regularly
updated by more or less continual verification mailings and emailngs.

Given the permaculture ethic that we do not compete with each other, please
consider supporting existing work that has been done to make such informtion
available instead of undercutting our efforts.  It is also important to
support other groups, instead of undercutting.  These include North American
Fruit Explorers (NAFEX),  Northern Nut Growers Assn (NNGA) and the upcoming
Temperate Bamboo Quarterly (TBQ) Bamboo Yellow Pages.

Thanks.  I hope that this information proves helpful.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), now offering by email a
Permaculture Design Correspondence Course. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia
Hemenway. [email-masked]  

We don't have time to rush.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:54:45 -0400

Hi Rich Morris:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:12:22 -0500

The Southern Hawthorns (mayhaws, Chinese types) can be gotten from Sherwood
Aken Nursery Box 6, Sibley in Louisiana 71073. He has a catalog.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:12:22 -0500