Subject: IPMnet NEWS #43, July (fwd)

From: Victor Guest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 11:24:56 WST

To: [email-masked]
Subject: IPMnet NEWS #43, July

###############################[*]###############################
[ === =====\===  ===              ==   == =====         == /==\ ]
[  |  |    | |\  /|                |\   | |   \         / |     ]
[  |  |    | | \/ | |/=\  /==\ |=  | \  | |    \   |   /  |===\ ]
[  |  |====/ |    | |   | |==/ |   |  \ | |===  \ / \ /       | ]
[  |  |      |    | |   | |    |   |   \| |      \   /        | ]
[ === ==    ===  ====   = ===/ |/ ===   ======= === === \=====/ ]
[ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
[ IPMnet NEWS               July 1997              Issue no. 43 ]
[ ------------------------------------------------------------- ]
[          IPMnet, the Global IPM Information Service,          ]
[          is sponsored, produced, and provided by the          ]
[         Consortium for International Crop Protection.         ]
###############################[*]###############################
           ..........................................
                  "News-to-use for global IPM."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
CONTENTS (4 sections)
--------------------------------
I.   IPM News
       - IPM Extension in Canada: Under Pressure
--------------------------------
II.  Research Review
       * THIS MONTH'S NOTED RESEARCH PAPERS
--------------------------------
III. IPM Medley
       * IPMporium
       * PUBLICATIONS
       * OTHER RESOURCES
       * EQUIPMENT
       * POSITIONS
--------------------------------
IV.  IPMnet Calendar
       * IPMnet Calendar I: NEW or REVISED Entries
       * IPMnet Calendar II: PREVIOUSLY LISTED Entries
...............................................................

                             *NOTE*

      IPMnet now has its very own web site: <www.IPMnet.org>.
      (The old, longer web address is still active as well.)
      
      Current and back issues of IPMnet NEWS can now be found at:
          <www.IPMnet.org/IPMnet_NEWS/archives.html>.

                               <#>

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  I.  IPM NEWS / APPLICATIONS
      --- international IPM news and programs
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

           * IPM Extension in Canada: Under Pressure *
                    -------------------------
     An assessment of IPM development and implementation in Can-
ada during 1996 highlights an important shift in IPM extension.
H. Philip, chairman of Canada's Expert Committee on Integrated
Pest Management (ECIPM), observes that "changes are occurring
among agencies delivering IPM extension programs that could ad-
versely impact future progress."
    Writing in a recent issue of PEST MANAGEMENT NEWS, Dr. Philip
points out that provincial governments are reducing resources de-
voted to IPM extension. Several provinces are considering cost
recovery schemes for extension services and materials they pro-
vide, IPM included. Concurrently, industry matching funds for IPM
research are being emphasized.
    Philip notes that "the reduction in government extension
services should afford some opportunities for private firms and
individuals to provide consultative services to fill the void."
    FMI: PEST MANAGEMENT NEWS, Box 35009, Ottawa K1Z 1A2, CANADA.
E-mail: <[email-masked]>.  Fax: 1-819-772-1197.
        --excerpted from: PEST MANAGEMENT NEWS, 9(1),
          Spring 1997.
                              <#>

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 II.  RESEARCH/TECHNICAL PAPERS
        --- research/technical topics related to IPM.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                 _______________________________
                 This Month's SELECTED MATERIALS
         (broadly grouped by pest or tactic categories).
  IPMnet can provide addresses for any of the journals listed.
                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
General
"""""""
"Cocoa Crop Protection: An Expert Forecast on Future Progress,
    Research Priorities and Policy with the Help of the Delphi
    Survey," Gotsch, N. * CROP PROT., 16(3), 227-234, May 1997.

"Opportunities for Using Systems Approaches in Pest Management,"
    Rossing, W.A.H., and K.L. Heong. * FIELD CROPS RESCH.,
    51(1-2), 83-100, March 1997.

Phytopathology
""""""""""""""
"Eastern Filbert Blight of European Hazelnut: It's Becoming a
    Manageable Disease," Johnson, K.B., _et al_. * PLANT DIS.,
    80(12), 1308-1316, December 1996.

"Pathology and Control of Soil-borne Fungal Pathogens of
    Potato," Jeger, M.J., _et al_. * POT. RESCH., 39(supp.),
    437-470, 1996.

"Potential of Propane Flamers for Reduction of Apple Scab Primary
    Inoculum on Orchard Ground," Desilets, H., _et al_. * HORT-
    SCI, 32(2), 267-270, April 1997.

"Viral Diseases Causing the Greatest Economic Losses to the
    Tomato Crop--1. The Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, A Review,"
    Rosello, S., _et al_. * SCI. HORT., 67(3-4), 117-150,
    December 1996.

Weed Management
"""""""""""""""
"Broomrape (_Orobanche cernua_) Control Before Attachment to 
    Host Through Chemically or Biologically Manipulating Seed
    Germination," Dhanapal, G.N., and P.C. Struik. * NETH. JRNL.
    OF AGRIC. SCI., 44(4), 279-292, December 1996.

"Can Simulation Models Help Design Rice Cultivars that are More
    Competitive Against Weeds?" Baastians, L., _et al_. * FIELD
    CROPS RESCH., 51(1-2), 101-112, March 1997.

"Level of Threshold Weed Density does not Affect the Long-term
    Frequency of Weed Control," Wallinga, J., and M.A. van Oijen.
    * CROP PROT., 16(3), 273-278, May 1997.

"Mulch plus Herbicides Effectively Control Vineyard Weeds,"
    Elmore, C.L., _et al_. * CALIF. AGRIC., 51(2), 14-18,
    March-April 1997.

"Predicting Optimal Application Time for Herbicides from Esti-
    mated Growth Rate of Weeds," Lundkvist, A. * AGRIC. SYS.,
    54(2), 223-242, June 1997.

BioControl
""""""""""
"Developing a Commercially Viable System for Biological Control
    of Light Brown Apple Moth (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) in
    Grapes Using Endemic _Trichogramma_ (Hymenoptera: Tricho-
    grammatidae)," Glenn, D.C., and A.A. Hoffmann. * JRNL. OF
    ECON. ENTOM., 90(2), 370-382, April 1997.

"Effect of Plants on the Searching Efficiency of a General-
    ist Predator: the Importance of a Predator-prey Spatial
    Association," Coll, M., _et al_. * ENTOM. EXPER. ET.
    APPLI., 1-10, 83(1), April 1997.

"Predation on Colorado Potato Beetle Eggs by Generalist Predators
    in Research and Commercial Potato Plantings," Hilbeck, A.,
    _et al_. * BIO. CTRL., 8(3), 191-196, March 1997.

"Sprayable Granule Formulations for _Bacillus thuringiensis_,"
    Tamez-Guerra, P., _et al_. * JRNL. OF ECON. ENTOM., 89(6),
    1424-1430, December 1996.

Entomology
""""""""""
"A Comparison of Live Versus Kill Pitfall Trapping Techniques
    Using Various Killing Agents," Weeks, R.D., and N.E. Mc-
    Intyre. * ENTOM. EXPER. ET. APPLI., 82(3), March 1997.

"Suppression of _Bemisia tabaci_ (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) Infes-
    tations in Cantaloupe and Cotton with Sprinkler Irrigation,"
    Castle, S.J., _et al_. * CROP PROT., 47(1), 657-664, November
    1996.

"The Development of a Mycoinsecticide for the Control of Locusts
    and Grasshoppers," Bateman, R. * OUTLK. ON AGRIC., 26(1),
    13-18, March 1997.

Nematology
""""""""""
"Methyl Bromide: Effective Pest Management Tool and Environment-
    al Threat," Thomas, W.B. * JRNL. OF NEMA., 28(4), 586-589,
    December 1996.

Vertebrate Management
"""""""""""""""""""""
"A Northern Pocket Gopher (_Thomomys talpoides_) Border Control
    Strategy: Promising Approach," Proulx, G. * CROP PROT.,
    16(3), 279-284, May 1997.

                               <#>
#------------------------------{*}------------------------------#
| * The IPMnet NEWS ......                                      |
| .....is sponsored, produced, and provided by CICP. Mention    |
| of specific products, processes, institutions, organiza-      |
| tions, or individuals in the IPMnet NEWS does not imply       |
| support nor criticism by CICP, nor any individual associ-     |
| ated with CICP, nor any of its member institutions. Infor-    |
| mation in IPMnet NEWS may be reprinted or quoted PROVIDED     |
| that the IPMnet NEWS is fully identified as the source.       |
|                  -------------------------                    |
| * CICP Newsletter Advisory Committee .....                    |
| J.D. Harper, chair, <[email-masked]>; A. Alvarez, and  |
| D.W. Dickson; M. Kogan, and G.A. Schaefers (ex-officio).      |
|                  -------------------------                    |
| * IPMnet NEWS Coordinator/Editor - A.E. Deutsch               |
|                  -------------------------                    |
| * Contributions to the IPMnet NEWS .....                      |
| ..... short news items describing experiences, successes,     |
| problems, and solutions, plus viewpoints (pro and con), and   |
| IPM-related opinion statements from individuals,              |
| organizations, and institutions engaged in any aspect of      |
| crop protection--especially IPM--are welcome.                 |
|                 -------------------------                     |
| * Subscribe / Unsubscribe ....                                |
| ..... send the message "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" to:       |
| <[email-masked]> and include an e-mail address.       |
|                 -------------------------                     |
| * Communicating with IPMnet NEWS .....                        |
| E-mail --> <[email-masked]> (preferred)               |
| Fax -----> 1-541-737-3080      Phone ---> 1-541-737-6275      |
| Postal --> IPMnet NEWS, c/o Integrated Plant Prot. Center     |
|            2040 Cordley Hall, Oregon State University         |
|            Corvallis, OR 97331-2915, USA                      |
#------------------------------{*}------------------------------# !
#--------------------------------------------------#
| E-mail: <[email-masked]>                 |
| ...............................................  |
| IPMnet NEWS  (A.E. Deutsch, coordinator/editor)  |
| c/o Integrated Plant Protection Center,          |
| 2040 Cordley Hall, Oregon State University,      |
| Corvallis, OR 97331-2915, USA                    |
| ...............................................  |
| Fax: 1-541-737-3080  *  Phone: 1-541-737-6275    |
#--------------------------------------------------#