Subject: Urban gardens, articles in Sierra magazine May/June 1997 issue (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 10:52:37 -0400 (EDT)

----------------------------------
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
----=+=----
InterGarden
mailto:[email-masked]
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
Venaura Farm
mailto:[email-masked]
http://nuteknet.com/london
----------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 20:41:44 -0400
From: Patricia Dines <[email-masked]>
To: Patricia Dines <[email-masked]>
Subject: Urban gardens, articles in Sierra magazine May/June 1997 issue

Hi all - For those of you interested in urban gardening - as a food source,
a way of connecting people to nature, and to each other - you probably want
to check out two articles in Sierra magazine, May/June 1997 issue.

The first one "Cultivating Our Cities", p19-21, discusses both historical
farming in cities, in a variety of cultures (ex. Mexico, Paris), and
current projects to do the same. Good detail, notions. Good focus on
organic. Reference/contact information.

The other article "Strong Roots", p.48-51+78, is a first-person experience
in creating an urban garden in a tough city neighborhood, from vision/hopes
to reality to positive outcome, not only in the garden but with the humans,
kids, community... Mechanics of getting people together, funding, etc.
Realistic, yet positive. "Gardening drew us all closer to the earth and
nourished our neighborhood."

If you're interested, I think this is the current issue at the newstands. 
I don't know if they have the articles (sans pics) at their web site
(http://www.sierraclub.org). Or you can contact them at 85 Second St. San
Francisco CA  94105.

Best regards - 

Patricia Dines