Subject: Privacy, Peace and Permaculture Promotion

From: April Sampson-Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:23:55 +-1000

Is there anyone else who suffers from our dilema?
We have a demonstration site that we are developing and
share many of the ups and downs with our students - Most
live far away and unfortunately for them haven't seen the site
- it is not complete and most will be for ever evolving
The dilema is that people are so enthused by our work
 they visit us regularly - I feel compelled to give them a tour and
chat and I just can't get anything done.
I'm getting to the point where I am afraid to go into the garden
in case some one sees me, and wants to talk permaculture!!
I like to be generous - that's why I like permaculture
I like the sharing side of this way of life.
I thought of running an open day but I don't feel ready - and anyway
that might just attract MORE sightseers on the off days.
I realise there is a shortage of permaculture sites - but permaculture
isn't a collective business - or some kind of religion - for me
it is about modifying our behaviour until is seems a normal way of life.
And being a spectacle isn't part of normal for me. 
Any suggestions - any one else in the same boat?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:43:11 CDT

I think its interesting and useful to look at the social aspects as just 
another permaculture problem. Channel those visitors and make them 
contributors to your system (and obviously you are to theirs!). And just 
be direct and honest with visitors at unwanted times--few people really 
think the world should revolve around them... But mostly, congratulations 
on having this problem/resource! Lots of us are dreaming and working 
towards being where you're at!

> Any suggestions - any one else in the same boat?

---
Jeff Hall	
[email-masked]

---

From: Permaculture Extension Services <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 20:57:03 +1000

> Any suggestions - any one else in the same boat?

This is a dilemma faced by other people who operate their residences 
as demonstration sites. 

It arises because people are curious to see something new - like 
permaculture in action - because they want to implement things they 
might see and simply to check it out in case it may prove useful in 
their lives. 

There are many reasons why people visit, including simple curiousity 
and, significantly, the seeking of inspiration in uninspiring times.

People, I believe, want to see signs of hope and that, at basics, is 
what April is offering (whether she knows it or not).

There are solutions - April can apply some forms of control. The 
problem is that the controls which have been applied elsewhere are 
those April finds distasteful - that is, establishing open days when 
people know they can visit the site.

Here's a couple examples of where it is being done.

In northern NSW, Robyn Francis operates Djanbung Gardens, a
permaculture education and demonsration centre. 

Her solution to April's problem has been to open her site one 
afternoon on a weekend day and one other day to casual visitors. Other 
times by prior arrangement.

It seems to work. Robyn retains her sanity, some degree of privacy and 
is only a spectacle at times of her own choosing. On open days, Robyn 
assumes her role as teacher, promoting what she loves and what is her 
livelihood - permaculture.

In Sydney, Dr Ted Trainer, the noted limits-to-growth educator and 
author, opens his home site at Pigface Point to groups by way of prior 
arrangement.

Individuals who wish to visit are tagged onto a visiting group on
Sundays. 

This ensures some measure of privacy for a public person while giving 
access to a valuable demonatration resource. 

There is no opportunity for casual visitation at Pigface Point.

When we were compiling the Australian City Farms, Community Gardens 
and Enterprise Centres Network inventory, we faced the issue of access 
to sites versus privacy rights of demonstration site residents.

Put to the residents, a few opted for only their telephone numbers 
being listed. This ensured that visitors had to arrange visits and 
could not call in casually. 

Of course, there will always be a small number of curious casual 
visitors no matter what is done to contain the situation. Then it's up 
to you what you do.

May I suggest a sign - courteously written - on the front fence 
advising that visits are welcome on open days and by appointment or 
whatever arrangements are decided upon. Maybe a descriptive leaflet in 
a box to maintain the curiousity of casual visitors.

It's an irony that people who get off their backsides and actually do 
something such as establish a demonstration site become, often 
inadvertently, the focus of attention. Attention is part of the 
territory of leadership in whatever field.

The other suggestion is that April could offer learning opportunities 
for people who want to come along and actually get their hands dirty 
learning permaculture the practical way. 

These could be of a workshop structure with the fee paid in work or, 
perhaps, a small charge could be made. There has to be value for 
money, which I'm sure April could provide.

Maybe there could be an 'apprentice' scheme where people who wished to 
learn and to support the site could agree to volunteer a certain 
amount of work for learning - maybethey could receive a cheap or free 
permaculture course after a certain period of voluntary work and 
informal learning. 

Perhaps Local Exchange and Trading Systems would be the appropriate 
vehicle for this type of transaction.

Then there's WWOOFING - Willing Workers On Organic Farms - which 
provides experiential opportunities which facilitate learning and 
assistance for farm owners. 

It would be interesting is people wrote about their experiences of 
this situation. Then we can all learn from then.
-- 
PERMACULTURE EXTENSION SERVICES
Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell
PO Box 446, Kogarah NSW 2217 AUSTRALIA

Phone	02-9588 6931	(IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
Fax 	02 330 2611 (Mark fax: ATTN: RUSS GRAYSON - APACE) 
	(IDD-61+2+330 2611)
Email: [email-masked]

Permaculture education, publishing, design. 
NSW co-ordinator, Australian City Farms and Gardens Network.

---

From: Emanuele John Gelsi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 21:42:58 +1000 (GMT+1000)

Hi everyone!
It's been quite a whle since I haven't mailed to the list. I am currently 
doing a masters in social planning and development athe university of 
Queensland. I am reviewing whatever literature i can get my hands 
on community gardening/ city farms. Ultimately I hoped to provide a 
social profile of the participants in community gardens in Brisbane; this 
however seems a little simple. I was hoping for any different ideas from 
this list, for instance any policy issues that practitioners of community 
gardening would be concerned about. If you have any ideas please let me know!
Cheers

Emanuele John Gelsi 
[email-masked]
Dept of Anthropology and Sociology
University of Qld	Australia