Subject: 2nd RFD: sci.aquaculture (fwd)

From: Larry London <london>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 22:48:02 -0400 (EDT)

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: James Reeve <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,sci.bio.fisheries,alt.aquaria,sci.aquaria
Subject: 2nd RFD: sci.aquaculture
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 22:48:10 GMT

                     REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
                  unmoderated group sci.aquaculture

CHANGES from previous RFD:

A previous Request For Discussion was posted in April 1997 for 3
aquaculture newsgroups (ie. a heirarchy), but the strong concensus was to
consolidate these into one newsgroup because of the commonality of most
issues and expected slim traffic. Sub-groups can always be set up.

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the establishment of a
sci.aquaculture newsgroup.  This is not a Call for Votes (CFV); you
cannot vote at this time.  Procedural details are below.

Newsgroup lines:
sci.aquaculture		Aquaculture discussion newsgroup.

RATIONALE: sci.aquaculture

Aquaculture is a major industry throughout the world, and involves the
farming a fish, crustaceans, and other animals in both fresh and salt
water.

However, there are no dedicated aquaculture newsgroups on Usenet.

Given the size and geographic spread of the industry, it is proposed
that a dedicated newsgroup will aid in the distribution of relevant
information and will assist in lifting the economic viability of fish
farming.

Most aquaculture is highly intensive and quite scientific. In
particular, significant discussion occurs on water quality parameters
and disease prevention/cure. Accordingly, it is proposed to house the
group in the "sci." newgroup heirarchy.

Existing groups do not sufficiently dedicate themselves to
aquaculture. For this reason, it is very difficult for aquaculturists
to gain information from these. Aquaculture information in them is
swamped by other, unrelated, information.

For example:
*.aquaria.*             Almost exclusively related to recreational
                        and/or small-scale fish keeping.
rec.ponds               More dedicated to ornamental ponds that
                        aquaculture ponds.
sci.bio.fisheries       Concentrates on biology, and is a very broad
                        group.
*.fishing.*             Relates to recreational and sport fishing.

A previous Request For Discussion was posted in April 1997 for 3
aquaculture newsgroups (ie. a heirarchy), but the strong concensus was to
consolidate these into one newsgroup because of the commonality of most
issues and expected slim traffic. Sub-groups can always be set up.

CHARTER: sci.aquaculture

Discussion of scientific and market topics relating to commercial fish
farming. No geographic or species limitations.

No advertising other than that specifically relevant to aquaculture.

While the groups will be unmoderated;
(a) moderation may be instituted if a suitable candidate comes forward;
(b) regular group visitors will unofficially moderate submissions.

END CHARTER.

PROCEDURE:

This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes.  In this phase
of the process, any potential problems with the proposed newsgroups
should be raised and resolved.  The discussion period will continue
for a minimum of 21 days (starting from when the first RFD for this
proposal is posted to news.announce.newgroups), after which a Call For
Votes (CFV) will be posted by a neutral vote taker.  Please do not
attempt to vote until this happens.

All discussion of this proposal should be posted to news.groups. YOU ARE
ENCOURAGED TO COMMENT.

This RFD attempts to comply fully with the Usenet newsgroup creation
guidelines outlined in "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" and "How
to Format and Submit a New Group Proposal".  Please refer to these
documents (available in news.announce.newgroups) if you have any
questions about the process.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:
        news.announce.newgroups
        news.groups
        sci.bio.fisheries
        alt.aquaria
        sci.aquaria

Proponent: James Reeve <[email-masked]>
------- end of forwarded message -------