Subject: Upper Midwest CSA (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 22:37:57 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:56:38 -0500
From: Wil Burns <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Upper Midwest CSA

Second Annual Upper Midwest Community Supported Agriculture Conference
For Immediate Release

September 18, 1995

MADISON, WI.    Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), whereby consumers and
farmers form social and economic relationships to share responsibility for
producing food and protecting resources, is becoming an increasingly
important force in our society.  The theme of the second annual Upper
Midwest Conference on Community Supported Agriculture, Healthy Farms,
Healthy People, Healthy Communities, embodies benefits of this approach for
all sectors of our communities.  The conference will be held at the Holy
Name Catholic Center in Madison on December 1-3.

The conference's speakers will include agricultural law professor Neil
Hamilton, and Minnesota writer Paul Gruchow.  They will consider the
increasingly industrialized character of our food system, from increased
market concentration and loss of family farms, to environmental degradation
and eaters' inability to know where, how, and by whom their food is grown.
"The role of CSAs and other opportunities to create a more personal, fair
and socially responsible food system will make for lively discussion,"
stated Margaret Krome, one of the conference's organizers.

The conference will also feature over twenty workshops, exploring topics
ranging from: how to form a CSA, appropriate technologies for CSA programs;
building and strengthening CSA communities; and food preservation techniques.

"CSA programs can enhance the health of both consumers and participating
farms, as well as increase the cohesion of our communities," Krome
concluded.  "This conference will provide a wealth of information for both
current participants in CSA programs and those interested in establishing
such programs in the future."
The early registration fee, which includes meals, is $45.00 for adults and
children over the age of 10.  The fee increases to $50.00 after November 15.
Children under 10 may attend for free.  Participants can register up until
the date of the conference, but are encouraged to register early if they
wish to obtain on-site accommodations in Madison.  Home stays are also
available.  Meals cannot be guaranteed without pre-registration.

For more information, contact: William Burns, (608) 256-6312, or Margaret
Krome, (608) 238-1440.