Subject: New Book: Economics of organic farming

From: [email-masked] (Nic Lampkin)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 18:32:39 +0100

The Economics of Organic Farming: An International Perspective

Edited by N H Lampkin and S Padel, Department of Agricultural Sciences, 
University of Wales, Aberystwyth, UK
Organic (ecological ) farming, with its emphasis on sustainable 
agro-ecosystem management and the use of locally-derived,
renewable resources, offers potential solutions to some of the key problems 
faced by the agricultural sectors of industrialized
countries.  Many European governments now provide direct financial support 
for organic farming in recognition of its
contribution to current policy objectives, including environmental 
protection, conservation of non-renewable resources,
controlling over-production and the reorientation of agriculture towards 
areas of market demand.  Drawing on studies from the
UK, USA, Canada, Australia, Germany, Denmark and Switzerland, this book 
provides the first comprehensive international
review of the economics of organic farming. The factual information and 
empirical data from the studies reported make this book
a valuable resource for researchers, policy analysts, professional advisors 
and students in agricultural economics, management
and agri-environmental policy.

Contents
Part 1: Organic farming concepts, history and research issues
*    Organic farming: sustainable agriculture in practice, N H Lampkin
*    The development of the organic industry and market: an international 
        perspective, W B Tate
*    Researching organic farming systems, N H Lampkin
*    Organic farming and society: an economic perspective, D I Bateman
Part 2: Organic farming as a business
*    The physical and financial performance of organic farming systems in 
        Britain, N H Lampkin
*    Economics of organic farming in Germany, S Padel and U Zerger
*    Economics of organic farming in Denmark, A Dubgaard
*    Economics of organic farming in Switzerland, I Muhlebach and J 
        Muhlebach
*    Economics of organic farming in Canada, J Henning
*    Economics of organic and low-input farming in the United States, M D 
        Anderson
*    Economics of organic farming in Australia, E Wynen
*    Farm level performance of organic farming systems: an overview, S Padel 
        and N H Lampkin
Part 3: Converting to organic farming - the economics of the transition 
        process
*    Changes in physical and financial performance during conversion to 
        organic farming: case studies of two English dairy farms, N H Lampkin 
*    Case studies of farms converting to organic agriculture in Germany, B 
        Freyer, R Rantzau,H Vogtmann
*    Conversion to low-input farming systems in Pennsylvania, USA: an 
        evaluation of the Rodale Farming Systems Trial and related economic
studies, S E Peters
*    Economics of conversion to organic farming: cross-sectional analysis of 
        survey data in Germany, S Dabbert
*    Conversion to organic farming: an overview, S Padel and N H Lampkin
Part 4: Widespread conversion to organic farming: modelling the regional 
        impacts
*    Comparative analysis of future development paths for agricultural 
        production systems in Germany,U Zerger and H Bossel
*    Impacts of widespread conversion to organic agriculture in the state of 
        Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany, J Braun
*    Estimating the impact of widespread conversion to organic farming on 
        land use and physical output in the United Kingdom, N H Lampkin
*    Input-output modelling of organic farming and the rural economy of 
        England and Wales, P Midmore
*    Modelling the impact of widespread conversion to organic farming: an 
        overview, P Midmore and N H Lampkin
Part 5: Organic farming and agricultural policy
*    Policy issues and impacts of government assistance for conversion to 
        organic farming: the Danish experience,A Dubgaard and H Holst
*    Agricultural policy and impacts of national and regional government 
        assistance for conversion to organic farming in Switzerland, O Schmid
*    Financial assistance for conversion to organic farming in Germany under 
        the European Community's extensification programme, L Schulze Pals,
J         Braun, S Dabbert
*    Organic farming and agricultural policy in western Europe: an overview, 
        N H Lampkin and S Padel

November 1994    480 pages    HB    ISBN 085198 911 X    Price: L49.95 
(US$85.00 Americas only)

CAB INTERNATIONAL, Wallingford, OX10 8DE, UK
Tel: 0491 832111 Fax: 0491 826090
Nic Lampkin
Welsh Institute of Rural Studies
Stapledon Building, Penglais Campus
University of Wales, Aberystwyth
GB-Dyfed SY23 3DD.
Tel: +44 (0)1970 622248
Fax: +44 (0)1970 622238