Subject: greenhouse w/chickens?

From: [email-masked] (suzi rubin)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 22:52:16 +0000

I am a beginning farmer in my second year of raising chickens.  I am
planning to build a lean-to type greenhouse approx 36' long on the south
side of my barn (located in southern Ohio, USA).  I would like to use the
heat/CO2 from the chickens to assist in heating the greenhouse while
providing a comfortable environment for my feathered friends.  I'm
interested in any info regarding greenhouse design, solar heating systems,
materials, etc. in general and the integration of chickens in particular.

---

From: Jennifer Peltier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 07:40:00 PDT

Hi Suzi,

For a while I lived on Martha's Vineyard island (off Cape Cod, MA).  I
had some friends who worked at a place called Solviva.  Basically a
woman made a self-sustained environment by building a green house on
one end of her house and a chicken coop on one side of the greenhouse.
I cannot recall the woman's name off hand but she gave out information
about her place and offers tours etc. She is located in Vineyard
Haven, MA so a call to directory assistance may turn something up.  I
have some literature that's about 10 years old and could snail mail it
to you (if I can find it).  Let me know.

Take care,

Jennifer
[email-masked]

---

From: "Joseph A. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:11:24 -0500 (CDT)

Jennifer & Suzi-

I think I remember reading about that in an old Mother's Earth News, from 
about 6 years ago. We put goats in the end of a 50 foot greenhouse we had 
at the time. I'm sure it did do some good. The temp at that end was 
higher, but I couldn't say for sure how much good it did. We didn't have 
it as tight as it could have been. 

Ann Wells