Subject: Internship Possibilities

From: Gary Shea <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 1995 05:47:30 -0600

(Strawbale folk, this is a more detailed description of the
internship post of a few days ago.)

Folks, careful with your replies -- this is cross-posted to the
straw-bale and permaculture mailing lists.

------- Forwarded Message
From: Kirby Fry <[email-masked]>
Subject: Internships

We would like to make all who are interested aware of the internship and
volunteer opportunities at the Cross Timbers Permaculture Institute.
Permaculture (permanent + agriculture) is the study of the design of those
sustainable or enduring systems that support human society, both
agricultural and intellectual, traditional and scientific, architectural,
financial and legal.  It is the study of integrated systems, for the
purpose of better design and application of such systems.

The Cross Timbers Permaculture Institute's mission is to form and support
sustainable building practices in north central Texas, create a living
model of a sustainable community, and offer related courses and technical
assistance to the general public and land owners in north central Texas.

Cross Timbers was conceived in April of 1994 as a result of Bill Mollison
teaching a two week permaculture design course at the Fossil Rim Wildlife
Center in Glen Rose, Texas.  The institute was incorporated and granted
non-profit determination as of January, 1995.  It's founders are Jack
Rowe, Inger Myhre and Kirby Fry.  Our offices, residences and
demonstration fields sit adjacent to the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center which
receives over 100,000 visitors annually.

Specific projects that interns would be involved with are:  straw bale
house construction, ferro-cement water cistern construction, construction
of a rock/reed black-water treatment system, natural farming of winter
oats, a medicago cover crop, and summer corn and millet (as described by
Masanobu Fukuoka in, The One Straw Revolution), pasture renovation,
teaching and giving tours, forest enrichment, micro-business development
and grant writing.

We are generally seeking a commitment from six weeks to a semester, but
there is no set time as the most important factor is to be present for at
least one season.  Room will be provided and the intern will partake of
all of the produce locally grown.  It is recommended that the intern bring
at least $100/month for other groceries and spending money.  We hope you
will contact us for more information.

        KIRBY [@ Cross Timbers Permaculture Inst. 817-897-9402]
------- End of Forwarded Message