Subject: Permaculture Sites

From: Warwick Rowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 16:08:21 WST

Joel asked about PC sites.

Here is what I am aware of; and what we are doing; fill in the 
huge gaps, so we all know what the state of play is. Many 
people will be wanting to visit various sites on their way to 
IPC6 in Sep 96, so we need to know what is going on.

World wide there is the WWOOFers network, which now has many 
permaculture properties listed; you must join as both a host 
and a potential visitor.
 
The UK people published a little booklet about four years ago 
called "The Permaculture Plot", A5, two or four page spread 
for about fifty sites through Great britain.

In the US there is an electronic network with similar objectives 
called Homestead, which has an occasional post of people who 
are prepared to make their places open to visitors.

In Western Australia we have a one line demonstration garden 
list, published by the Permaculture Institute here. We also 
have (at least) two gardens in the open garden scheme, just 
starting up in WA.

The Land Management Society, a group of Innovative farmers, 
received a grant about ten years ago to produce four A4 pages 
on farming properties, and have distributed many hundreds of 
copies of seventeen brochures.

Many have used them as a means of obtaining some payment; 
selling them to visitors for $5, as a small recompense for the 
time they spend managing the terrorists, sorry tourists. From 
our experience there, let me say that it both absolutely 
necessary and absolutely okay to be very very assertive about 
visitors; times, charges, limits, and so on. 99% will 
understand, and accede to your requests. 1% will be absolute 
a..holes however much you give them; some expect you to
give you the benefits of your life's work for nothing ....

So charge them if you want them to value your stuff.
   
Wx
--
 ______________________________________________________________
|                  [email-masked]                  |
|        20 Onslow Rd Shenton Pk 6008 Western Australia        |
|  Partner, Permaculture Applications Consultancy & Education  |
|                                                              |  
|     Management Consultant     Permaculture Designer          |
|___"Helping Managers Learn"___"Helping Land Managers Learn"___|

---

From: [email-masked] (Gil Hardwick)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 07:57:12

>IPC6 in Sep 96, so we need to know what is going on.

I will second Warwick's list, at least for here in WA. There are some
very good farms here indeed, very well worth the visit although never
having been "Permaculture" farms.

Some of our budding Permanent Agriculturalists in particular would
benefit from spending some time looking at such places, and working
on them if they get the chance, preferably before going back up to
the city to obtain their 72 Hour Design Certificate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a bad attitude about money. If you want to know what God thinks
about money, just look at some of the yahoos he gives it too.
                                                            Herb Cohen