Subject: How to create a sustainable agriculture? (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 23:46:59 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 17:01:45 -0400
>From: Bob Torres <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: How to create a sustainable agriculture?

Hello all,

I just finished reading a chapter in Orr's (I think he's the author) book
_Ecological Literacy_ called Food Alchemy and Sustainable Agriculture.  It
raised a lot of questions in my mind, but one of the biggest that I've had
for a long time (and I haven't found a good answer yet, really) is:

How do we make the move to sustainable agriculture on a large scale?

As I see it, the permaculturists and people like Wendell Berry (forgive me
if you're unfamiliar with this stuff....I don't know the experience levels
here) have GREAT ideas, but practically, I think that somehow our existing
system needs to be modified in order for things to work.  Or, to have a
real transformation, the market needs to appreciate that sustainability is
important, otherwise, it may not happen.  We need an agricultural
revolution for the sake of the environment (and some would argue culture),
but how?

I realize how broad my statements are....just kind of thinking out loud.

Cheers,

Bob

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
Bob Torres           | NewtNews & agenvir-l mailing list admin.
[email-masked]   | To subscribe/get info, contact me or:
[email-masked] | http://www.io.com/~btorres/subscribe.html
,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,