Subject: Good hand tools available by mail-order.

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:07:54 -0500 (EST)

-
This is the Februrary, 1996 update of:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/
      gardening/gardening-faqs/gardening-hand-tools.faq
maintained by [email-masked]
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london
-
                        ==============================
                        Agricultural Hand Tool Sources
                        ==============================

Smith & Hawken and A.M. Leonard sell a scythe with a straight snath
(lightweight, strong & easy to use) and a grass & grain blade that is
thin, long and can easily be sharpened razor-sharp. This tool is perfect 
for cutting lawns. It _can_ remove weeds/grass right down to the sod.
It's fairly easy to maintain the proper stance and swinging motion
to cut your grass to a consistant height and in regular arcs that blend 
together evenly.
A wonderful tool, indespensible for the rural dweller and suburban 
gardener alike.

-

Request a catalog from:
Johnny's Selected Seeds
Foss Hill Road
Albion, Maine, 04910
Customer service: 1-207-437-4301 
They supply EARTHWAY and PLANET, Jr. seeders and will, on request
give you information on suppliers of other seeders (i.e. a small hand-carried
corn/bean seeder. You may want to hybridyze the EW and the P, Jr.
when planting small seeds in rough terrain. An organic vegetable grower
North Carolina has successfully done this.

From: George Stone <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture
Subject: Johnny's Web Page id finished

I have finished the initial work to get this page to a presentable form. 
You may browse all our new products for 1996 with selected pictures as 
well as request a commercial or home garden catalog on-line. Happy 
holidays from all of us at Johnnys.
http://johnnyseeds.com/seeds

From: [email-masked] (Jsseeds)
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture
Subject: Johnny's Selected Seeds New Address
Date: 4 Sep 1995 19:46:46 -0400

Johnny's now has a new internet E-Mail address. This address can be used
to request a catalog or to be added to their mailing list. The address is:
[email-masked].

-

>Whole Earth "Ecolog" mentioned five tool suppliers for farm and garden
>supplies; my hunch would be try Lehman's Hardware and Appliances,
>their catalog is $2.00 from PO Box 41, 4779 Kidron Rd., Kidron OH 44636;
>or Cumberland's, catalog $3.00 from rt. 3 box 81, Crossville TN 38555, and
>they have a telephone: 615-484-8481.

-

A.M. Leonard
241 Fox Drive
P.O. Box 816
Piqua, Ohio, 45356
1-800-543-8955
1-800-433-0633 fax
 
Mostly tree maintenance and nursery equipment, 
plus miscellaneous excellent gardening/landscaping tools/supplies
eye hoes, scythes

-

Mellingers
Ohio 
similar to Leonard

-

Forestry Suppliers, Inc.
P.O. Box 8397
205 West Rankin St.
Jackson, Mississippi, 39204
"Quality Forestry, Engineering and 
 Environmental Equipment, Shipped Worldwide"
tools, equipment and supplies for the forestry industry

-

Langenbach
"A Collection of the World's Finest Hand Tools"
P.O. Box 453
Blairstown, N.J., 07825
Toll Free: 1-800-362-1991
English-made high quality spades, spade forks, forks and much else
Excellent!

-

Smith and Hawken
"Tools of the Trade - A Complete Source For the Organic Gardener"
Orders:
2 Arbor Lane, Box 6900
Florence, Kentucky, 41022-6900
1-800-776-3336
General info:
25 Corte Madera 
Mill Valley, California, 94941
1-415-383-2000
Also excellent! you may need to ask them what tools they
have for sale that are not listed in their catalogue,
held-over stock offered in out-of-date ones -
i.e. the 4"X7" Japanese field hoe (grub-type eye hoe using 1 3/4" X 54" 
handle) they used to offer, an indispensible tool!
They now offer English Bulldog brand eye hoes; also a complete line of
digging forks, digging spades, spade forks, border forks and border spades
and straight snath scythe systems.
-

Ben Meadows Company
Equipment for Natural Resource Managers
3589 Broad Street
Atlanta, Georgia, 30341
1-800-241-6401
Fax: 1-800-628-2068
Mail Order address:
P.O. Box 80549
Chamblee, Georgia, 30366
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.benmeadows.com (great Web page!)
See pages 132-139 for garden handtools information;
see esp. page 134: Adze Hoe & Pic'N Planter tools

-

The Cook's Garden
"Seeds and Supplies for the New American Kitchen Garden"
P.O. Box 535
Londonderry, Vermont, 05148
802-824-3400
Fax: 802-824-3027

Offers the Korean "HO-MI" hand cultivator (curved trowel/cultivator),
well-designed and effective

-

Necessary Trading Co.
One Nature's Way
New Castle, Virginia, 24127-0305
FAX - 703/864-5186
Phone: 1-703-864-5103
"Natural Solutions for Farm, Home and Garden"
Wide range of supplies, books, fertilizers, tools and equipment -
catalogue headings include: books, composting equipment & supplies,
soil testing equipment & supplies, cover crop seeds, fertilizers
(their largest offering), pest management supplies and equipment,
wild bird supplies, animal care supplies and miscellaneous hand tools.
A major supplier, along with Zook & Ranck and Fertrell, for organic 
farmers and market growers in the Eastern U.S.  

-

        HARMONY FARM SUPPLY                     [CAT - $2 deduct. from]
        P.O. Box 451                            [first order]
        Graton, CA 95444

        PEACEFUL VALLEY FARM SUPPLY             [CAT - $2 deduct. from]
        P.O. Box 2209                           [first order]
        Grass Valley, CA 95945

-

Shepherd's Garden Seeds
Shipping Office
30 Irene St.
Torrington, Connecticut, 06790
860-482-3638
-

You might also call the folks at ATTRA (Appropriate Technology for Rural
Areas) at 1-800-346-9140. They might have some other names & addresses for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following list was found in an article posted to the rec.gardens newsgroup:
-
Gardening Hand Tool Mail Order Sources
======================================

         1. P.A. Bonvallet's Sons Inc.
            R.R. 1 Box 160
            St. Anne, IL 60964                          Catalog: Free
            815-427-8222
            Offerings: pots, containers, soil conditioners, fertilizers
            Comments: wholesale distributor
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
         2. W. Atlee Burpee & Co.
            300 Park Ave.
            Warminster, PA 18991-0001                   Catalog: Free
            Offerings: seeds, perennials, bulbs, woody plants, supplies
            Comments: separate seasonal catalogs are available
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
         3. Dayton Bag and Burlap
            210 Dowdle St., Unit 5
            Algonquin, IL 60102                         Catalog: Free
            708-658-8488       Fax: 708-658-4197
            Offerings: nursery supplies
            Comments: wholesale distributor
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
         4. The Dramm Company
            P.O. Box 528
            Manitowoc, WI 54220                         Catalog: Free
            Offerings: watering tools
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
         5. Earl May Seed Company
            208 North Elm Street
            Shanandoah, IA 51603-0099                   Catalog: Free
            712-246-1020
            Offerings: woody plants, seeds, perennials, growing
                       supplies
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
         6. Garden's Alive
            Hyw. 48, P.O. Box 149
            Sunman, IN 47041                            Catalog: Free
            812-623-3800
            Offerings: tools, equipment, IPM supplies, beneficial
                       insects
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
         7. Gardener's Supply
            128 Intervale Rd.
            Burlington, VT 05401                        Catalog: Free
            802-863-1700
            Offerings: tools, equipment, IPM supplies
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
         8. Gempler's
            P.O. Box 270, 211 Blue Mound Rd.
            Mount Horeb, WI 53572                       Catalog: Free
            800-328-8473       Fax: 800-551-1128
            Offerings: agricultural supplies, protective equipment
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
         9. Grower's Supply Company
            P.O. Box 1123
            Ann Arbor, MI 48106                         Catalog: Free
            313-662-6058
            Offerings: indoor stands, lights and trays
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        10. Henry Field's Heritage Gardens
            1 Meadow Ridge Rd.
            Shenandoah, IA 51601-0700                   Catalog: Free
            605-665-5188
            Offerings: woody plants, perennials, tools, supplies
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        11. Innis Violets
            8 Maddison Lane
            Lynnfield, MA 01904                         Catalog: $1
            617-334-6679
            Offerings: African violet growing supplies, high dome
                       terrariums
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        12. J. W. Jung Seed Co.
            335 S. High Street
            Rondolf, WI 53956                           Catalog: Free
            Offerings: seeds, woody plants, perennials, tools, supplies
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        13. Kinsman Company, Inc.
            River Road
            Point Pleasant, PA 18950                    Catalog: Free
            215-297-5613
            Offerings: gardening tools and equipment
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        14. A. M. Leonard, Inc.
            6665 Spiker Road, P.O. Box 816
            Piqua, OH 45356-0816                        Catalog: Free
            513-773-2694       Fax: 513-773-8640
            Offerings: tools, supplies
            Comments: offers a range of professional tools and
            equipment for horticulturists
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        15. Mellinger's
            2310 W. South Range Road
            North Lima, OH 44452-9731                   Catalog: Free
            216-549-9861
            Offerings: seeds, woody plants, perennials, tropical
                       plants, tools, growing supplies
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        16. Midwest Trading
            P.O. Box 384
            St. Charles, IL 60174                       Catalog: Free
            708-742-1840       Fax: 708-888-3818
            Offerings: horticultural supplies, equipment, tools, and
                       structures.
            Comments: wholesale catalog
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        17. Walt Nick Company
            36 McCleod Lane, P.O. Box 433
            Topsfield, MA 01983                         Catalog: Free
            508-887-3388
            Offerings: gardening tools and equipment
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        18. Park Seed Company
            Cokesbury Road
            Greennwood, SC 29647-0001                   Catalog: Free
            Offerings: seeds, bulbs, perennials, growing supplies
            Comments: separate seasonal catalogs offered
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        19. Ringer
            9959 Valley View Road
            Eden Prairie, MN 55344-3585                 Catalog: Free
            800-654-1047       Fax: 612-941-5036
            Offerings: tools, equipment, growing supplies, IPM supplies
            Comments: offers a range of organic lawn and garden
            products
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        20. Smith And Hawkins
            25 Corte Madera
            Mill Valley, CA 94941                       Catalog: Free
            414-383-2000
            Offerings: tools, gardening supplies, furniture
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        21. Wayside Gardens
            1 Garden Lane
            Hodges, SC 29695-0001                       Catalog: $1
            800-845-1124
            Offerings: perennials, woody plants, growing supplies
            Comments: illustrated catalog
       -----------------------------------------------------------------
        22. Wingert Pottery
            1185 Atlantic Dr.
            West Chicago, IL 60185                      Catalog: Free
            708-293-9097       Fax: 708-293-9114
            Offerings: clay pots, garden ornaments
            Comments: an extensive selection of clay pots, wholesale
            and retail, a division of Ceramo Company, Inc.

:
Lawrence F. London, Jr., Venaura Farm, Chapel Hill, NC USA 
[email-masked], [email-masked]
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london/The_Sustainable_Farmstead.html
http://www.interpath.net/~london 
Organic Gardening & Permaculture Information
: