Subject: local food securtiy & the concept of a "foodshed" (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 21:31:51 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 12:40:32 -0800 (PST)
>From: Tom Hodges (moderated newsgroup) <[email-masked]>
To: Principles of Sustainable Agriculture <[email-masked]>
Subject: local food securtiy & the concept of a "foodshed" (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 15:11:25 -0500
>From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: local food securtiy & the concept of a "foodshed"

Fred Kirschenmann, an organic grain farmer from North Dakota, spoke
this past week at a Northeast Region SARE Ch. 3-sponsored
conference on sustainable agriculture.  He touched on the subject
of local agriculture, local food security and the concept of a
"foodshed" (conceptual equivalent of a watershed).  Could someone
point out further reading on the "foodshed" concept?

I would appreciate examples of projects that have increased
consumer awareness of the importance and benefits of local/regional
food production?  What's the best way for the getting the message
out?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Akin

Thomas Akin
Extension Specialist
Plant & Soil Science Dept.
Bowditch Hal Box 30910
University of Massachusetts        TEL:  (413) 545-5236
Amherst, MA 01003-0910             FAX:  (413) 545-0260