Subject: Future of small farms in Russia (fwd)

From: Emanuele John Gelsi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 15:05:50 +1000 (GMT+1000)

This is Emanuele again, this is the message I talked about in my 
introduction letter. 
EJG

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 09:09:40 EDT
>From: Coughenour <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list RURSOC-L <[email-masked]>
Subject: Future of small farms in Russia

This appeal via H-Rural may appeal to some subscribers of Rursoc-l.
 Milt Coughenour, Moderator
----------------------------Original message----------------------------
I would like to introduce myself, Carol Scott Leonard, econmic
advisor to the Russian government for the agricultural sector.

I have tremendously enjoyed the recent discussions of family
farming, and feel that I have findly found my listserv.

Can I say, at risk of offending those of you who know much
more than I do, that we still have family farming--even the
large sprawling famrms still tend to be owned by a single family
and run by sons/sons or daughters, tht is.

I have so countlessly many times advised the Russian government
that family farms are exactly what is needed, what is desirable.
Think of it. In Russia, we have mostly non-family farms, 25,000
collectives, either state or private.  Some restructured, some
not. Incentives, subsidies, the whole story.  HOw can they
do what they must do:  move from the ownership by the whole
of the farm workers (who do a lousy job at manageing these
farms) to family farms. DOes anyone have any wonderful ideas?

I work mostly on budgets. These are so onerous for the government.
The U.S. government, by contrast, interferes far less with markets
than does the Russian government, with its direct producer subsidies.

My sense, correct me if I am wrong, is that my efforts would best
be spent encouraging credit cooperatives and grain warehousing.
It does not  good to suggest to the Russian government that
subsidies be reduced.  Elections approach, here as in washington.

Thanks for a very interesting discussion.

[email-masked]

P.S.-- hope that the mesage I sent will reach not only those
who like doing budget questions but those who have farms,
do farming. Russia needs help.  Farming in Russia is
very much off on a bad start.

I would like advice but it is also the case theat the
important Farmer-to-Farmer aid going to Russia not be
cut off, which is a likelihood with the  current mood in
Congress.

Anyone who can help--please do.

---

From: Emanuele John Gelsi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 17:52:56 +1000 (GMT+1000)

> 
> This is Emanuele again. This is the message I talked about in my 
> introduction letter. I think some of you much more experienced 
permaculture designers might be able to help.  Please tell me if you 
receive this message
EJG