Subject: PC:Middlesex University Permaculture Society

From: [email-masked] (Myk Rushton)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 00:45:14 GMT

Middlesex University: PermaCulture Society

At the moment the Permaculture Society of Middlesex University is very
much in it's *fledgling* stage with only two members having completed
intoductory courses. (Myself and one other.)
It consists of 22 signed up members from which a core of 8 is beginning
to developed. We have the use of a small plot of overgrown land and some
greehouses (which are in a sad condition.)

The group has had a 2 hour introductory talk (with slides) on
permaculture by Carl Smith (honorary chair - Permaculture Association
Great Britain) that fired everybody up with enthusiasm (perhaps a
little to much!)

The initial idea was to simply apply the Design System to restoring and
using the land and greenhouses for the benefit of the society in the
form of both learning and pleasure, then use it as an example to
encourage others.

But campus administration has thrown some obstacles in our path that
have slowed down this idea in the form of:

a.      Requiring a written proposal of our intent.
b.      A code of conduct for all members working on the site, so as
	to comply with UK Health and Safety regulations. This may have
	to include all members having a Tetnus jab.
c.      Having a structural survey carried out on the greenhouses.

That's were the society is at the moment. We had made some basic
decisions before the admin obstacle course was thrown in our path:

Create an infrastucture that would cause minimum damage to the existing
site and allow us to commence work on the land. This infrastructure is
to be in the form of paths through the undergrowth following the
naturally trodden paths created by people wandering around.

Contact the Henry Doubleday Research Association (A seed bank here in the
UK that specialises in native plants) with a view to cultivating plants
to transplant out into the campus.

Hopefully this post will stimulate discussion.

Take care
--
Myk Rushton: [email-masked]
Middlesex University-Ecology & Ecotechnology: [email-masked]