Subject: Re: Biodynamic Farming Info? (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 15:07:02 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 11:05:33 -0800
>From: Mark Newell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Newgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture
Subject: Re: Biodynamic Farming Info? (fwd)

>Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 19:23:38 -0800 (PST)
>>From: Georgann K. Cunney <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Biodynamic Farming Info?

>Howdy,

>I'm new to this newsgroup. I'm interested in learning about Rudolf Steiner's,
>Biodynamic Farming.  Can any one tell me what it is about and its basic
>principles? Who is practicing it, in what ways and where?

>I would like to know web sites for any information about this, and also
>sustainable agriculture.

>Thanks 

>(eagerly waiting)

>Georgann   [email-masked]

BIODYNAQMICS,IN A FEW WORDS, IS ABOUT UTALIZING THE PRINCIPLES OF THE 
DYNAMIC LIFE FORCE ENERGY, IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE MOON, THE STARS, AND 
ELEMENTS INTRINSIC TO EARTH: WATER, SOIL, AIR AND ALL LIFE FORMS. AN 
EXCELLENT RESOURCE WOULD BE THE FOLKS AT MOTHER FLIGHT FARM NEAR 
MT.VERNON, WHO PRACTICE BIODYNAMIC AGRICULTURE ON THEIR 11 ACRE ORGANIC 
FARM, AS WELL AS PREPARE A COMPOSTED SOIL PREPARATION,WHICH FEEDS THE 
SOIL BACTERIUM, ET AL, CALLED "MIGHTY MICROBE" CAN CALL GLEN OR CHARLOTTE 
JOHNSON FOR INFORMATION @ (360) 445-5006. ISN'T THAT ENOUGH!?

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 21:27:09 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 95 07:33:27 +1200
>From: Valerie Cowperthwaite <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Re: Biodynamic Farming Info?

In article , [email-masked] writes:
> 
> 
> I concur with the earlier posting that suggested the article
> "Biological Dynamic Farming - An Occult Form of Alternative 
Agriculture."
> H. Kirchmann, Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 1994, 
7(2)
> 17 3-187. The abstract states in part:
> 
> "...(Steiner's) instructions were based on insights and inner 
visions
> from spiritualistic exercises and not on agricultural 
experiments...
> many of his statements are not provable simply because 
scientifically
> clear hypotheses cannot be made as his descriptions were unclear and 

> not stringent. Those predictions that can be tested scientifically 
have
> been found to be incorrect. It was concluded (in the article) that
> Steiner's instructions are occult and dogmatic and cannot 
contribute
> to the development of alternative or sustainable agriculture."
> 
> Jonathan Haskett
> 
What a pity the author of this article did not do some up-to-date 
research.  Here in New Zealand many farmers are farming 
biodynamically.  They are successful and sustainable. The farm I am 
involved with of 1,000 acres  supports sheep, beef cattle and is 
involved in building up a sizeable dairy herd as a source for its 
planned milk products programme. They also run small scale pig and 
poultry operations, plus grazing for race and show horses.  Commerical 
vegetable growing and an extensive tree raising and planting programme 
are also included.

Other farmers are contributing in the areas of dairying particularly 
and biodynamic growers are successfully holding their own in citrus 
and avocado growing to name just the higher profile areas.  One of our 
leading winemakers who consistently wins international gold medals 
also grows his grapes biodynamically.

Pfeiffer's early work on microbes and composts gives the lie to the 
statement that there is no scientific basis for biodynamics as does 
the paper in Science April 1993 by Reganold et al showing the 
sustainability of biodynamics especially with regard to soil 
conservation.

Our farm has also been the site of various other scientific 
investigations including work on the dung beetle, blow flies and fish 
farming - we have a unique mullet farm.

I would not point anyone to Steiner's works as an introduction.  The 
Biodynamic Farm by H.H. Koepf and the Coming Revolution in Agriculture 
by Dr Harold Willis offer more practical perspectives on biodynamic 
farming - there is some controversy in bd circles over Willis' view.   
Soper's book on gardening is also, as I remember, relatively free of 
the mystic elements.

Kirchmann's conclusion reminds of a MAF scientist critical of 
biodynamics who featured in a TV programme on this topic - "Yes, well 
we see that it DOES work, but we don't see why it SHOULD work."  So 
therefore it is dismissed!