Subject: SARE-ACE Program at SAAS February 4 (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 23:13:51 -0500 (EST)

:
Lawrence F. London, Jr., Venaura Farm, Chapel Hill, NC USA 
[email-masked], [email-masked]
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london/The_Sustainable_Farmstead.html
http://www.interpath.net/~london 
Organic Gardening & Permaculture Information
:
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:42:26 -0600 (CST)
From: Donald Voth <[email-masked]>
To: "Sustainable Ag. Network" <[email-masked]>
Subject: SARE-ACE Program at SAAS February 4

                                          January 24, 1996

MEMORANDUM TO:    All those interested in Southern Sustainable
                  Agricultural Research and Education (SARE) Program

FROM:             Donald E. Voth
                  Professor of Rural Sociology
		  University of Arkansas

SUBJECT:          Sustainable Agriculture sessions at up-coming meetings
                  of the Southern Association of Agricultural Sciences
                  (SAAS)

      This is a reminder of the SARE-ACE program at SAAS February 4.

      We have planned a special pre-conference session on the Southern
SARE/ACE program Sunday, February 4, in the Tidewater room of the
Holiday Inn Four Seasons in Greensboro, NC.  The afternoon sessions,
which begin at 1:00 P. M. are all open to the public.  Indeed, YOU ARE
ENCOURAGED TO COME TO SAAS EARLY TO ATTEND THESE SESSIONS.

      These special pre-conference sessions are under the sponsorship of
the Southern Rural Sociological Association (SRSA), which has chosen, as
its theme for the 1996 meetings "Challenge for Sustainable Development
in a Natural Resource Framework: Scenerios for Visionary Planning and
Policy."  Numerous other presentations on sustainable agriculture are
scattered throughout the rest of the SRSA program beginning Monday.

      I would encourage you to post this announcement elsewhere so as to
get it to the other disciplines whose members will be attending the SAAS
meetings.  The Sunday pre-session program follows:

                         Pre-Conference Sessions
         Sustainable Agricultural Research and Education (SARE)
            Agriculture in Consort with the Environment (ACE)
                        at the Annual Meetings of
             Southern Rural Sociological Association (SRSA)
                                   and
          Southern Association of Agricultural Sciences (SAAS)

                             Tidewater Room
                        Holiday Inn Four Seasons
                       Greensboro, North Carolina
                            February 4, 1996

      Sunday Morning, 10:30 A. M.--Meeting of Sustainable Agricultural
Research and Education Program Chapter III (Sustainable Agriculture
Training Consortium and the Education and Training Program)
Coordinators:  John O'Sullivan, North Carolina A. & T. University, Roger
Crickenberger, North Carolina State University; and Jim Lukens, ATTRA.

      Sunday Afternoon

      1:00-1:45.--Trends in the Southern SARE/ACE Program

      Chair of Panel.--Donald E. Voth, University of Arkansas

      Panel Members.--Paula Ford, Southern Region SARE/ACE Program
Manager; D. C. Costen, Oklahoma State University, Chair, Ad Hoc
Evaluation Sub-Committee of Southern SARE/ACE Council; Tom Trantham,
South Carolina, Chairman, Southern SARE/ACE Council

      1:45-2:00.--Break

      2:00-3:30.--Evaluation Panel for the Southern SARE/ACE "Train the
Trainer" Projects.

      Chair of Panel.--John O'Sullivan, North Carolina A. & T.
University

      Panel Members.--Alan DeRamus, University of S. W. Louisiana, Clark
D. Garland, University of Tennessee; Marily Swisher, University of
Florida; Jim Palmer, South Carolina State University; Elizabeth Guertal,
Auburn University; and James Cadenhead, Texas A & M University.

      3:30-3:45.--Break

      3:45-5:15.--Presentation and Discussion of the implementation of
Chapter III, the Sustainable Agriculture Training Consortium and the
Education and Training Program: John O'Sullivan, North Carolina A. & T.
University; Roger Crickenberger, North Carolina State University; and
Jim Lukens, ATTRA.