Subject: Re: Soil Quality-->Fiber Hemp

From: [email-masked] (Steve Diver)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:39:52 -0600 (CST)

> I ask this question because the South Australian State Government has just
 > approved the planting of test crops.
 > 
 > Have any of you considered Hemp as a food crop?  It is becoming more widely
 > considered as a substitute fibre crop instead of cotton.
 
 As a farm advisor, I've looked into hemp as a viable farm crop 
 and can offer a few tidbits.
 
 Hemp had been grown in France as a fiber crop for decades 
 according to an article in "Sustainable Farming" published
 by REAP-Canada (one of the best sustainable ag periodicals
 too, BTW).
 
 Also, regulations have already passed Parliament or are
 in discussion as to the production of low-THC hemp strains
 as a fiber crop in Canada.  This would be done on a 
 licensed basis by farmers.  
 
 It seems that a major factor is the ability for society
 and government to make the distinction between production
 of a farm crop--fiber hemp--with its illegal cousin, 
 marijuana.  On quick observation, the political climate 
 in the U.S. does not appear to be ripe for any action in this
 direction very soon.  
 
 The last Surgeon General, Joycelyn Elders, supported 
 reopening the medical marijuana program, and many
 hemp supporters were hoping this would loosen up
 agricultural hemp regulations
 
 The main point for farmers and others investigating this
 crop is that fiber hemp production is based on strains of 
 low-THC Cannabis.  [THC being the drug derived from 
 marijuana].
 
 One company in Canada is working with Cannabis germplasm to 
 specifically combine high quality fiber and LOW-content THC. 
 
 Plenty of information and data about the fiber quality of hemp is 
 available. Old USDA Bulletins and Yearbooks are a good
 source of data.  It also has uses as a birdseed crop, as an
 oil crop, fuel crop, etc.
 
 In the U.S., at least a half-dozen companies already 
 sell hemp products.  These products are perfectly legal.
 The hemp itself is raised in largely the 2/3rds World
 (with developed countries barely making up the 1/3 World in 
 real comparisons), and raw material shipped into the U.S. 
 Products include clothes, hats, fiber bags, birdseed,
 oil, etc., etc.
 
 Please note:  any discussion of alternative fiber crops
 should include a mention of kenaf, Hibiscus cannabinus. 
 Kenaf has been thoroughly researched by USDA and a 
 number of land-grant universities.  This research 
 dates back to the late 50s and early 60s, but it takes
 so long to bring an alternative crop in commercialization 
 that it is just now coming on-line with any significant 
 acreage to speak of.  Processing facilities and product
 marketing are the main hindrances; production technology is 
 the least limiting factor, as usual. 
 
 Crotalaria, or Sunn Hemp, was another crop that looked promising
 to the USDA, but kenaf apparently gained the edge. 
 
 Kenaf is a fine crop that can go a long way towards 
 solving needs in agriculture and forestry, but in reality 
 we need to be careful that it doesn't become just another 
 drain on the environment where nitrogen fertilizers, nematicides, 
 defoliants, and monocultures become the norm. 
 
 Widespread adoption of hemp would entail the same
 pitfalls, no doubt.