Subject: Re: SOIL QUALITY; CON'T (FWD)

From: "Tom Hodges (moderated newsgroup)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 07:53:16 -0800 (PST)

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 00:44:12 EST
From: " Mike Smith " <[email-masked]>
Subject: SOIL QUALITY; CON'T (FWD)                                        

Chuck said...

"  By focusing on very long-term sustainability issues, and placing
great emphasis on whether a given system, practice, technology, type of
farm is theoretically sustainable forever, we miss the chance to gain
better understanding and do a better job of managing issues in "our own
backyard".  Backyard in the sense of time (our lifetimes) and place (the
U.S. or the region we work in)."

I think this is an important issue but I wouldn't like us to ignore the
long-term sustainability of our systems.  Obviously we have learnt a great
deal about what doesn't work by observing the consequesces of our actions and
this will remain the main form of learning for us as a species (unfortunately).

However, long-term sustainability, yes forever, is the principal objective.
I can't state that too strongly.  Balancing that with population growth will
be one of the major constraints we will experience.  The consequences of not
handling that constraint will deal with population growth in a very unpleasant
way.

Certainly, intensive agriculture can be sustainable in the long-term.
Traditional peoples can demonstrate this where they have not overstressed the
biological systems of the REGION by reducing fertility, overcropping and
removal of tree and other cover.

One final point before sending this to the list.  Please see if you can
look at the global picture, particularly those situations where population
pressure compromises what we would consider social responsibility.  Refer
to the often shown image of a woman in India cutting down the very last tree
on a hill for use for fire wood.  So, once again, to paraphrase a well-worn
expression.  GAIN EXPERIENCE LOCALLY, APPLY IT GLOBALLY.

Mike SMith
President, Permaculture ACT (Australian Capital Territory) - PACT
Treasurer, Australian Centre for Environmentally Sustainable Systems - ACESS

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:01:16 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 07:50:58 -0800 (PST)
>From: Tom Hodges (moderated newsgroup) <[email-masked]>
To: Principles of Sustainable Agriculture <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lawrence London <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: SOIL QUALITY; CON'T

[I think there was a large thread on this on the usenet group,
alt.sustainable.agriculture a while back.  Perhaps Larry London knows
where it is archived. TH]

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 00:11:41 EST
>From: " Mike Smith " <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: SOIL QUALITY; CON'T (FWD)                                    

Tim & the rest of you,

I ask this question because the South Australian State Government has just
approved the planting of test crops.

Have any of you considered Hemp as a food crop?  It is becoming more widely
considered as a substitute fibre crop instead of cotton.

Mike SMith
President,
Permaculture ACT - Promoting sustainable systems in the region of the
Australian Capital Territory (Canberra)