Subject: LETS/Perma/CSA/marketing

From: Stephen Demeulenaere <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:51:47 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

	Is there anyone on this list working with a LETS (Local Exchange 
Trading System) organization which is running a Food LETS as part of its 
multiLETS or LETSreg structures?  
	In Victoria, British Columbia, the Lifecycles Community Gardening 
network and the Victoria LETS Registry are piloting such a project this 
year.
	At base level, there will be a shared backyards network with a 
Barter System between those people.  At the next level, there will be 
trading through the Food LETSystem of the LETS Registry.  The LETS 
currencies will be used to establish a direct market for organic 
farm-grown produce, excess backyard produce, CSA programs, Good Food Box 
programs, labour programs and Public Market.  
	We've found that farmers generally don't like the numbers or 
marketing end of what they do, they also have difficulty retaining 
labour, and they compete with hobbyist growers and slave labour in 
markets and grocery stores.  
	If the public were willing to pay 10-15% of their purchase from a 
farmer in Green Dollars, our internal currency, the farmer could use the 
Green to pay labourers who could spend the Green within the system, to 
buy bulk food, services, goods, etc.  We're starting to develop community 
support cycles for farms in our local region.  
	If you're interested in what we're doing, and want to keep in 
touch, contact Lifecycles at  [email-masked]   or Victoria LETS at  
[email-masked]   or  [email-masked].  
	Your assistance is appreciated.

					Stephen DeMeulenaere
					administrator
					Victoria LETS Registry