Subject: Organic Gardening mailing list & OG documents

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 21:09:31 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 20:53:43 -0500
From: L-Soft list server at UKCC (1.8b) <[email-masked]>
Subject: Usage guidelines for OGL

              PLEASE SAVE THIS DOCUMENT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE

                  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                  *            Welcome to the           *
                  *      ORGANIC GARDENING LIST (OGL)   *
                  *           [email-masked]          *
                  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

                        LISTOWNER: Sheryl Highsmith

                   Address: [email-masked]

   OGL was set up in Fall 1995 by gardeners who thought an Organic
   Gardening List would be a useful addition to the range of gardening
   lists already on the Internet.

   CONTENTS OF THIS DOCUMENT

     1. What is organic gardening?
     2. The purpose of OGL
     3. Subscribing and unsubscribing
     4. Sending messages to OGL
     5. Sending commands to the Listserv
     6. Some organic gardening organisations
     7. Some useful books
     8. Some other gardening lists/network contacts

          * * * * * * * 1. WHAT IS ORGANIC GARDENING? * * * * * *

   OGL recognises that people think of organic gardening in various ways.  In
   general, organic gardening is good gardening without the use of artificial
   weedkillers and other chemical pesticides.  It may also be thought of as
   natural gardening or environmentally friendly gardening.  However, there
   is no single, absolute definition of organic gardening:

      "To me, organic gardening just means sensible gardening, caring
       for the wider environment in the longer term.  Natural systems
       of pest control use much less energy, do not cause collateral
       damage and are also more effective - you don't have to keep
       developing more toxic methods to deal with pesticide-resistant
       strains. To paraphrase one writer, I have yet to see an aphid
       that was resistant to being eaten by a ladybird."

      "I feel the meaning of Organic is that of imitating nature and
       its methods of decomposition and rebirth.  Organic is also a way of
       thinking holistically about every element in nature that
       touches the garden.  The birds, bees, bats, insects and their
       synergy."

      "By encouraging the natural life cycle of all creatures, we in
       turn encourage the natural life cycle of human beings."

          * * * * * * * * * 2. THE PURPOSE OF OGL * * * * * * * * *

   OGL aims to support and encourage gardeners using, or attempting to use,
   organic gardening methods, and to enable discussion of gardening subjects
   within an organic framework.  Hopefully, OGL will contribute to a move
   towards 100 per cent organic gardening around the world.

   Anyone who wants to learn about or discuss organic gardening is welcome
   to join OGL, whether they consider themselves strict organic gardeners,
   ordinary gardeners with organic tendencies, nervous dabblers or complete
   gardening novices:

      "I am a bit shaky on pure organics and I don't want a bolt of
       lightning to strike me while sitting here.  I have used Roundup
       on my driveway weeds and liquid Sevin on my Japanese Beetles,
       but I want to find better, safer methods."

      "I found that so much of the discussion on other lists
       was not useful to me, considering my interest in strictly
       organic methods.  In particular, my interest is in vegetable
       and herb gardening, but I would also welcome information on
       organic methods to grow flowers.  Topics of discussion may
       include:

        - starting plants from seeds
        - harvesting seeds (preservation of heritage seeds)
        - pest control
        - weed control
        - soil quality improvement
        - companion planting
        - trouble-shooting for diseased, weak, unproductive plants
        - harvesting techniques and storage
        - composting
        - small scale gardening/ options for decks and small spaces
        - plants for specific environments ie. sun, shade, wet, dry."

   OGL subscribers may wish to use this list in various ways:

      "The main reason I want an OGL is to learn how to reduce the
       use of chemicals that may be harmful to our environment.  I
       want to learn about less toxic ways to fertilize and control
       insects and diseases on my plants.  There you have it."

      "What I would like to see in this discussion list is people
       exchanging ideas about the clean way to garden.  There should
       be no debate about organic or not.  It should be understood up
       front that the people involved are interested in organics and
       that the list is a way to provide them to talk it over."

      "A purpose of OGL is to encourage each other and educate each
       other in ways of best utilizing the God-given resources in and
       around our gardens."

      "I see OGL as being less of a "what kind of tree would you
       recommend for my zone" and more of a "what can I do about my
       broccoli that's got little green worms all over it?"  You won't
       have to specify that you want organic replies only, nor will
       you have your mailbox fill with praise for the outstanding
       qualities of Roundup when a question arises about weed control."

   It is taken as given that OGL subscribers agree with the general principle
   of organic gardening.  Any debate about the relative merits of organic
   gardening and mainstream/chemical/non-organic gardening should take place
   on other mailing lists rather than OGL.  Similarly, OGL is not the forum
   for discussing or seeking advice on artificial weedkillers or other
   pesticides.

          * * * * * * 3. SUBSCRIBING AND UNSUBSCRIBING * * * * * *

   If you are reading this document you have probably already subscribed
   to OGL.  If not, and you wish to subscribe, send the message:

      SUBSCRIBE OGL <Yourfirstname> <Yourlastname>

   to the Listserv at [email-masked]

   The command should be in the body of your message.

   Once subscribed, you will receive all the messages sent by subscribers to
   OGL.  You may prefer to receive only one message a day from OGL consisting
   of a compilation (or Digest) of that day's messages.  To do this, set your
   subscription to Digest (see Section 5. Sending Commands to the Listserv)

   To unsubscribe, send the command:

      UNSUBSCRIBE OGL

   or

      SIGNOFF OGL

   to the Listserv.

   If you need any help with subscribing or unsubscribing, please contact
   [email-masked]

          * * * * * * * 4. SENDING MESSAGES TO OGL * * * * * * *

                         Address: [email-masked]

   Once you are subscribed you can send messages to OGL at the address above.
   Your message will be distributed to all subscribers, including you.  It is
   helpful to other subscribers if, when sending a message, you:

   * make sure the subject line reflects the subject of your message; and

   * put your name, location and email address at the end of your message.

   If you reply automatically to a message distributed by OGL, your reply
   will also go via OGL and be distributed to all subscribers.  If you prefer
   your reply to go only to the sender of the original message, address it to
   the sender personally instead of replying automatically.

   Please refrain from personal attacks or criticism on the list.

   If you encounter problems or have any questions about sending messages to
   OGL, please contact [email-masked] directly.

          * * * * * 5. SENDING COMMANDS TO THE LISTSERV * * * * *

                       Address: [email-masked]

   The Listserv manages OGL as well as other mailing lists.  You can get
   information about OGL or change the way you receive messages by sending
   specific commands to the Listserv. address above.

   The commands SUBSCRIBE, UNSUBSCRIBE AND SIGNOFF have already been
   described.  Other commands you may find useful are:

      SET OGL DIGEST  (to receive Digests from OGL)

      SET OGL MAIL    (to receive individual messages from OGL)

      SET OGL NOMAIL  (to receive no mail from OGL)

      REVIEW OGL      (to get a list of OGL subscribers)

   Send the command to the listserv address above with the command in the
   body of your message.

   For a list of all Listserv commands, send the command:

      INFO REFCARD

   to the Listserv.

   If you encounter problems or have questions about using the Listserv,
   please contact [email-masked] directly.

       * * * * * 6. SOME ORGANIC GARDENING ORGANISATIONS * * * * *

   Rodale Institute Research Center
   611 Siegfriedale Road
   Kutztown
   Pennsylvania 19530
   USA
   Tel: (215) 683 6383

   Henry Doubleday Research Association
   National Centre for Organic Gardening
   Ryton-on-Dunsmore
   Coventry CV8 3LG
   England
   Tel: (01203) 303517

   Henry Doubleday Research Association of Australia
   Box 61
   Post Office
   Australia Square
   NSW 20000
   Australia

   Terre Vivante
   Domaine de Raud
   BP 20
   38711 MENS
   France
   Tel: (33) 76 34 80 80

   International Federation of Organic Agricultural Movements (IFOAM)
   HQ
   c/o Okozentrum Imsbach
   O-6695 Tholey-Theley
   West Germany

   Irish Organic Farmer and Growers Association
   56 Blessington Street
   Dublin 7
   Ireland
   Tel: 01 30 7996

       * * * * * * * * * 7. SOME USEFUL BOOKS * * * * * * * * *

   *Highly recommended

   Bartholomew, Mel (1981) 'Square Foot Gardening', Rodale Press.

  *Bradley, F.M. and Ellis, B.W. (Eds) 'Rodale's All-New Encyclopaedia of
   Organic Gardening', Rodale Press.

   Ellis, B.W. and Bradley, F.M. (Eds) (1990) 'The Organic Gardener's
   Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control', Rodale Press.

   Flowerdew, Bob (1993) 'Bob Flowerdew's Complete Book of Companion
   Planting', Kyle Cathie.

   Lacey, Roy (1990) 'The Green Gardener: How to make your garden
   environmentally friendly', David and Charles.

   Jeavons, John (1982) 'How to Grow More Vegetables than you Ever Thought
   Possible on Less Land than You Can Imagine', Tenspeed Press.

   Stickland, Sue (1989) 'The Organic Garden: How to grow flowers, fruits and
   vegetables the natural way', Hamlyn.

   Yepsen, Roger (1984) 'The Encyclopaedia of Natural Insect and Disease
   Control', Rodale Press.

          * * * 8. SOME OTHER GARDENING LISTS/NETWORK CONTACTS * * *

   ALPINE GARDENING           Send SUBSCRIBE ALPINE-L YOURNAME comma CITY ZONE
                                to [email-masked]

   COMPOST                    Send SUBSCRIBE COMPOST <Your_Name>
                                to [email-masked]

   GARDENS AND GARDENING      Send SUBSCRIBE GARDENS <Your> <Name>
                                to [email-masked]

   GAY MEN IN HORTICULTURE    Contact:
                                [email-masked]

   HERBS                      Send SUBSCRIBE HERB <Your> <Name>
                                to [email-masked]

   INTEGRATED PEST CONTROL    Contact: [email-masked]

   MASTER GARDENERS           Send SUB MGARDEN <Your> <Name>
                                to [email-masked]

   ORGANIC FARMING            Send SUBSCRIBE AGENVIR-L
                                to [email-masked]

   SEED SWAP                  Contact:
                                [email-masked]