Subject: Vermicomposting

From: [email-masked] (roger bairstow)
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 16:23:09 -0400

To anyone interested in vermicomposting:

I am currently investigating the possibility of vermicomposting yard waste
for a joint project between the Rodale Institute and the Municipal Solid
Waste Management Department of the Lehigh County of Pennsylvania.

If anyone knows of any current or past projects dealing with
vermicomposting yard waste - primarily leaves and grass - I would be very
appreciative if you could share that information with me.  Any research
papers, articles, books, contacts, etc would be great.

I am interested in all aspects of this procedure, however I am particularly
interested in the following:

1. rate of inoculation with worms
2. the best worm(s) to be used
3. what other organic materials should be added and how much
4. ideal windrow dimensions (currently 10' height, 18' width 20'length)
5. detailed information on methods
6. aeration, moisture, pH, salt, and fermentable organic matter requirements

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.  I
apologize for the cross-posting.

Sincerely,
Bill Landesman
[email-masked]

Rodale Institute
611 Siegfriedale Road
Kutztown, PA 19530
phone:(610)683-1458
fax: (610)683-8548