Subject: Petition re: wilderness bills

From: [email-masked] (George Weston Manning)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 23:01:11 -0600

! * ! * ! * SIGN THIS PETITION IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT, THE
DESERT, PROTECTION OF PRISTINE WILDERNESS AREAS! * ! *

As this editorial in the New York Times states, two very very
bad bad bad bills: HR 1745 and its senate counterpart S884, are
currently proposing wilderness annihilation in the beautiful desert lands
of Utah.  Read the following article if you want more details. This
is a NATIONAL issue, and an issue of misrepresentation-- the people
of Utah do not want this bill passed and their representatives are not
listening.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SIGN YOUR NAME TO THIS LIST AND SEND IT ON TO 5 OTHER
PEOPLE.
IF YOU ARE A TENTH PERSON TO SIGN YOUR NAME, FORWARD THE LIST BACK TO ME:
[email-masked]
(i.e. the 10th, 20th, 30th person will forward this message to me in progress)
I will compile the petition and send it to the important senators, etc.

------Editorial in the New York Times, November 15,1995----------
. . .There is another test just around the corner. Companion bills in
the House and Senate would take about 22 million acres of Federal land in
Utah now run by the Federal Bureau of Land Management,give wilderness
protection to a mere 1.8 million acres in southeastern Utah's
fabled canyonlands and open the rest to mining, road-building and
development.
The bills are sponsored by Representative James Hansen and Senator Orrin
Hatch, both Utah Republicans. A competing bill sponsored by Representative
Maurice Hinchey of New York is much better. It would protect 5.7 million
acres, which environmentalists think is the minimum required to maintain the
integrity of the canyonlands. According to several polls, Utah's
rank-and-file citizens prefer the Hinchey approach and believe that there
is more to be gained from tourism if the terrain is left alone than from
bulldozing some of the nation's most fragile and scenic lands. But Utah's
Congressional delegation prefers the bulldozer.
         Critics of the Hatch-Hansen bill have two further complaints.
First, it would undermine the intent of the 1964 Wilderness Act--an act
that designates wilderness as a place "where man himself is but a
visitor"--by  allowing development even in the 1.8 million protected acres.
Second, it
forecloses the possibility of future wilderness designations. The B.L.M.
will continue to manage the 20 million Utah acres left unprotected by the
Hansen-Hatch bills. But the bills say the land must hence- forth be
reserved for commercial users. Wilderness designation will no longer be an
option. Finally, victory for the Hansen-Hatch bills could provide smoother
sailing for other measures that are aimed at stripping the Federal
Government of control over public lands. The most brazen of these are
identical bills sponsored by Senator Craig Thomas, Republican of Wyoming,
and Mr. Hansen that would transfer to the states every single acre managed
anywhere by the B.L.M., some 270 million acres in all. A variant has been
offered by Senator Conrad Burns, Republican of Montana, who would establish
a commission to identify national forests and other public lands that could
be sold or transferred to the states or private
interest. The Thomas-Hansen measure proposes a give-away. The Burns bill
threatens a national yard sale of the country's natural heirlooms. Mr. Thomas
says the lands would be better administered "by the people who truly
understand the needs of local citizens.  That, of course, means Western
state legislatures, which tend to be far more inclined to exploit public
resources for commercial gain than even this Congress.
        These are destructive ideas, and the only sure way to stop them is
to send a clear conservationist signal by defeating the Utah lands bill.
The main hope is on the House floor, where a growing group of moderate
Republicans is having strong second thoughts about legislation that
endangers
the environment. The preservation of a sound national public lands strategy
may lie in their hands.

PETITION BEGINS HERE:

"I do not support wilderness annihilation bills HR 1745 and S884.  I
am in favor of Senator Hinchey's and the Utah citizen's proposal
to designate AT LEAST 5.7 million acres of PROTECTED wilderness in southern
Utah."

    #    NAME                  E-MAIL (not obligatory)     PLACE OF RESIDENCE

    1.  Elizabeth Whittlesey    [email-masked]     Texas,orig. Utah
    2.  Cori Nelson            [email-masked]   CA, orig.Utah
    3.  Erin Johnson            [email-masked] CT, orig. Utah
    4.  Sung-Min Chung          [email-masked] CT, orig.MD
    5.  Thomas Socci                                        NY, NY
    6.  Sofia Yakren                                        NY
    7.  Elizabeth Kanter                                    MA, orig. NJ
    8.  Amelia Kaplan           [email-masked]     NJ
    9.  Emily Hobson            [email-masked]     CA
    10. Adam Dylan Hefty        [email-masked]       KS
    11. Eric Albert             [email-masked]  vard.edu  NJ
    12. Daniel Mason            [email-masked]      CA
    13. Joshua Mooney           [email-masked]       CA
    14. Erica Brandling-Bennett [email-masked]          VA
    15. Allison Brugg           [email-masked]    CT
    16. Leah Campbell           [email-masked]          NY
    17. Tamar Kraft-Stolar      [email-masked]            NY
    18. Zoe Weinrobe            [email-masked]            MA
    19. Anna Spraycar           [email-masked]           MD
    20. Jessica Shattuck                                    MD
    21. Karen E. Thomas         [email-masked]  CA
    22. Steven W. Thomas                                 Providence, RI
    23. Chris Harley            [email-masked]
    24. Jennie Hoffman                                      WA
    25. Eric Sanford            [email-masked]       OR
    26. Philip Brownell         [email-masked]       OR
    27. Ben Brownell            [email-masked]        OR
    28. Brian Cross             [email-masked]           CA
    29. Nathaniel Gilbert       [email-masked]         CA, WA
    30. David Severson          [email-masked]         OR, WA
    31. Benjamin Kalm           [email-masked]             UT
    32. Sandy Kalm              [email-masked]              UT
    33. Tiare Sheller           [email-masked]              WA
    34. Nathan Sheller          [email-masked]              WA
    35. Joel Krist              [email-masked]        WA
    36. Kym Krist                                           WA
    37. Angela Linse            [email-masked]      WA
    38. Barbara Knox-Seith      [email-masked]              WA
    39. Lisa Dabek              [email-masked]  WA
    40. Tamara Jackson          [email-masked] WA
    41. Alyssa Reischauer       [email-masked] WA
    42. Robert Bellsey          [email-masked]  AZ
    43. A. Ellinor Michel       [email-masked] MI (voter reg. AZ)
    45. Sara Roos               [email-masked]             CA
    46. George Ruben            [email-masked], NH
    47. Martha Luehrmann        [email-masked]          CA
    48. Dariush Arasteh         [email-masked]              CA
    49. Robin Mitchell          [email-masked]        CA
    50. Joseph Ball             [email-masked]            CA
    51. Mark D'Antonio          [email-masked]        MA
    52. Derek Shuman            [email-masked]             CA
    53. Phillip Price           [email-masked]              CA
    54. Greg Klunder            [email-masked]        CA
    55. Laura Yee              [email-masked]     CA
    56. Thayon Barton          [email-masked]     CA
    57. Joseph Sullivan         [email-masked]            IL
    58. Christine Armer         [email-masked]             IL, CA
    59. Ryan Gossen             10247,[email-masked]     TX, CA
    60. Laura M. Smith                                       TX
    61. Suzanne D. Ramo         [email-masked]        TX
    62. Stephen Bright          [email-masked]              TX
    63. April Parra             [email-masked]              TX
    64. Eileen Bamberger    [email-masked]  TX
    65. Stephen Rice           [email-masked]  TX
    66. Vicki Albright     [email-masked]              TX
    67. David Wilcox    [email-masked]              TX
    68. George Manning [email-masked]                  CO