Subject: Community Supported Agriculture Conference (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 11:17:18 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 18:49:04 -0800
From: William C. Burns <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Community Supported Agriculture Conference

1995 Upper Midwest Community Supported Agriculture Conference

Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), whereby consumers and farmers 
form social and economic relationships to share responsibility for 
producing food and protecting resources, is becoming an increasingly 
important force in our society, with over 500 community-supported farms 
nationwide.  The theme of the second annual Upper Midwest Conference on 
Community Supported Agriculture, "Healthy Farms, Healthy People, 
Healthy Communities," reflects the benefits of this approach for all 
sectors of our communities.  The conference will be held at the Holy 
Name Catholic Center in Madison on December 1-3.

The conference's speakers will include agricultural law professor Neil 
Hamilton, and Minnesota writer Paul Gruchow.  They will consider the 
increasingly industrialized character of our food system, from 
increased market concentration and loss of family farms, to 
environmental degradation and eaters' inability to know where, how, and 
by whom their food is grown. "The role of CSAs and other opportunities 
to create a more personal, fair and socially responsible food system 
will make for lively discussion," stated Margaret Krome, one of the 
conference's organizers.

The conference will also feature over twenty workshops, exploring 
topics ranging from: how to form a CSA, appropriate technologies for 
CSA programs; building and strengthening CSA communities; and how to 
keep members coming back year after year.  A Saturday night dinner, 
followed by music and dancing will provide an opportunity for 
participants to get to know each other better in a more casual atmosphere.

"CSA programs can enhance the health of both consumers and 
participating farms, as well as increase the cohesion of our 
communities," Krome concluded.  "This conference will provide a wealth 
of information for both current CSA participants and those interested 
in participating in the future."

The early registration fee, which includes meals, is $45.00 for adults 
and children over the age of 10.  The fee increases to $50.00 after 
November 20.  Children under 10 may attend for free.  Participants can 
register up until the date of the conference, but are encouraged to 
register early if they wish to obtain on-site accommodations in 
Madison.  Home stays are also available.  Meals cannot be guaranteed 
without pre-registration.

For more information, or to obtain a conference brochure, contact: 
William Burns, (608) 256-6312 ([email-masked]), or Margaret 
Krome, (608) 238-1440 ([email-masked]).