Subject: Minnesota Food Assoc.-Dioxin Forum

From: "MN Food Assoc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 11:28:21 -0500

DIOXIN FORUM HELD BY MINNESOTA FOOD ASSOCIATION

On August 8, 1995 the Minnesota Food Association held a Member Forum on "Dioxin 
in the Food Supply". In attendance were Minnesota Food Association members, 
representatives of other organizations in the area working on dioxin-related 
issues, and concerned citizens.

Two panelists were invited to address the forum.  Toxicologist Dave Belluck from
the Mn Pollution Control Agency explained that dioxin  is the name for a large 
group of chemical compounds which are the by-products of many chemical, 
manufacturing and combustion processes (most notably waste incineration).  These
compounds are of concern for their effects on human health because 1) they are 
long-lived; that is, they do not break down quickly; 2) they accumulate in the 
fatty tissues of animals and humans; and 3) they are distributed all over the 
earth.  

Discussion confirmed that indeed all humans carry some level of dioxin in their 
bodies.  Since there is no dose at which no effects occur, Belluck explained, 
there is no "safe dose "of dioxin.  Over time, continual low level exposures 
"build up" until adverse health effects begin.
	
Belluck pointed out that in its recent reassessment of dioxin, the Environmental
Protection Agency identified both cancer and non-cancer effects for dioxin.  The
EPA estimates that the lifetime risk of getting cancer from dioxin exposure is 
between one in 1,000 and one in 10,000. Dioxin is also linked to severe 
reproductive and developmental effects and damage to the immune system.  
Infertility, birth defects, impaired child development, diabetes,  endometriosis
and thyroid changes are linked to dioxin exposure.  Belluck noted that because 
the EPA has decided not to issue a "non-cancer toxicity factor", no risk 
assessments will be made for the non-cancer effects of dioxin.
	
It is chiefly through our food supply that humans are exposed to dioxin, Belluck
explained.  Dioxin gets into the food supply as follows: it  is released into 
the air from waste incineration, pulp and paper processing, and the manufacture 
of plastics.  Then it settles onto the soil, water and plants and is eaten by 
animals. Dioxin  accumulates in their fatty tissues and is consumed as part of 
our diet.  The EPA says that 90% of human exposure occurs through diet, with 
foods from animals being the chief source.
	
Panelist Jackie Hunt Christensen from the Institute for Agriculture and Trade 
Policy added crucial  information as to the non-cancer effects of dioxin in her 
remarks . She also pointed out that in the laboratory, chemicals are tested one 
at a time for their toxic effects, but that in actuality, we are exposed to a 
mixture of chemicals.  Both the accumulation and the combination of these 
compounds is cause for concern, she said.
	
Reminding the audience that any use of chlorine in industrial processes, 
including incineration, results in dioxin formation, Hunt  Christensen discussed
ways of removing chlorine from use.  She said that Europeans are leading the way
in producing paper without using chlorine and that she is aware of one mill in 
the US which makes chlorine-free paper.  She also mentioned the use of ozone or 
ionization for purifying water systems and new water-based "wet" dry-cleaning 
processes.
	
Hunt Christensen encouraged those attending not to be intimidated by the 
complexity of the issues around dioxin.  You don't have to be a scientist to 
question the effects of dioxin on human health, she explained.  "I eat, so I am 
concerned." Our legislators are determining regulatory policies and enacting 
laws for environmental and health agencies, she pointed out, and they are not 
scientists. She urged citizens to become informed and then educate their 
legislators.	
	
Discussion and questions from the audience revealed much potential for 
coalition-building among those attending this Forum.  Several people voiced 
awareness that  concern for safe food cannot be separated from issues concerning
deteriorating human,  animal and planetary health.  MFA provided those attending
a list of organizations, both national and local, which are currently working on
dioxin-related issues and from whom further information is available. The list 
is included in this posting.
	
MFA will also take the lead here in the Upper Midwest, along with the Institute 
for Agriculture and Trade Policy, in convening follow-up meetings with 
interested groups and individuals to explore the creation of coalitions around 
the control of dioxin. We welcome  expressions of interest  in this 
coalition-building effort as well as any further information you feel would be 
of help to us.

National  Groups

Center for the Biology of Natural Systems
Queens College
Flushing, NY  11367
718-670-4180
reports

Citizens Clearinghouse for Hazardous Waste
P.O. Box 6806
Falls Church, Virginia  22040
703-237-2249
newsletter, information, organizing advice

Dr. Paul Conett
Work on Waste USA
82 Judson Street
Canton, NY 13617
315-379-9200
newsletter, information,
organizing advice

Greenpeace
1436 U Street Northwest
Washington, DC  20009
202-462-1177
reports, information

Physicians for Social Responsibility
1101 14th St. NW  #700
Washington, DC  20005
202-898-0150
reports, information

Local Groups

Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
1313 5th St. SE  #303
Minneapolis, MN  55414
612-379-5980

Women's Cancer Resource Center
YWCA
1130 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN  55403
612-338-8544 Twin Cities Metro
800-908-8544  Greater Minnesota