Subject: Melbourne, Australia, 2 day workshop on Bioregionalism

From: [email-masked] (Adam Tiller)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 13:52:15 +1000

If you know anyone in Australia who may be interested in this workshop,
please pass it on to them.  There may be other workshops in the future...

BIOREGIONALISM - EXPLORING OUR LIFE PLACE

A TWO DAY WORKSHOP, 18-19 Jan 1996, Melbourne, Australia

Bioregionalism is a word coined from bio (life) and region (place).  It is a
holistic philosophy about living sustainably in a place over time. 

Bioregionalism first emerged from North America where it became the meeting
place for the diverse fields of science, sociology, poetry and
environmentalism, as awareness of their common ground increased.  It takes
landforms, watershed, climate, plant and animal distribution and human
cultural patterns as a framework for social and environmental
sustainability.  Interpretation of these factors forms the basis for
defining one's region.

If you are working in the areas of planning, land management, Landcare,
community work, environmental design, permaculture, local government, or the
Arts, we will be exploring practical means to apply bioregionalism to your
field.

The Program will include:

- A comprehensive introduction to bioregionalism, the historical development
of the field and the global context.  Editor of our local bioregional
journal "Inhabit", Cam Walker, has just returned from his latest trip to the
USA where he had contact with the founders of the movement and news of up to
date developments.
- Exercises to extend our personal appreciation ofd place.
- Hand-on mapping techniques.
- A practical focus on applying bioregionalism now in our work and life.
- Participants will work in small groups to explore possible directions for
action.

There will be formal presentations, and interactive workshops, including
innovative teaching strategies and participatory resolutions.

Session details will be sent out on registration.
Lunch will be included and will be mainly local foods in season.

The course is run by a team of facilitators and guests from the Yarra Yarra
Bioregional Network and elsewhere.  With diverse backgrounds in ecology, the
Arts, education, environmentalism, permaculture and rural and urban planning
and design, many areas will be explored,  They include: Cam Walker, Meredith
Drew, Phil Gall, Karri Giles, and others.

Form more information, ring of fax Phil Gall on 9499 1526 (tel/fax)

Date: Thursday and Friday, 18-19 Jan 1996, 9am-4pm (14 hours)
Cost: $160 or $80 concession

This course is part of the University of Melbourne Summer Program.
You may enrol with a credit card over the 'phone at the summer program, tel.
9344 6124 or 9344 6547 or buy fax 9349 1291.
The Summer Program has a home page under http://www.unimelb.edu.au

--- end of brochure ---

You may contact any of the above people by email, through me, Adam Tiller
(or probably also at [email-masked]), and as the initial
organiser of the workshop, I'd love to have some feedback.

Adam Tiller
Permaculture Global Assistance Network
8 James St, Fitzroy Vic 3065
Melbourne, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9419 1542            Fax: +61 3 9853 6828  
Email: [email-masked]  WWW: http://www.peg.apc.org/~pgan

Adam Tiller
8 James St, Fitzroy Vic 3065
Melbourne, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9419 1542             Fax: +61 3 9853 6828  
Email: [email-masked]   WWW: http://www.peg.apc.org/~adamt