Subject: Attra funding loss (fwd)

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 00:21:56 -0400 (EDT)

------------------------------------------------------------
Lawrence F. London, Jr. - [email-masked] 
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london/The_Sustainable_Farmstead.html
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london/permaculture.html
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london/permaculture.faq
------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 19:10:35 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
    [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Attra funding loss

To whom etcx
Just got my ATTRA (Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas
1-800-346-9140) newsletter and discovered that the House had cut their
funding to zero. I called ATTRA and discovered that the Senate has just
lumped them into a 3 million dollar package called: the Rural Technology and
Cooperative Development Grants Program, which would insure their funding at
current levels. 
Ohio has a House member on the agriculture sub-committee, Marcy Kaptur,
democrat.
The people at ATTRA asked that if you wish to make contact with your
representatives regarding this issue, you ask them to support - the Senate
version of the Rural Technology And Cooperative Development Grants Program at
3 million dollars. They also requested that you ask them to support the 2
million dollar Senate version of the Minority Farmer and Outreach Assistance
Program.
You can call the capital switchboard at 202-224-3121 to find your
representatives number or you can contact Marcy Kaptur at 202-225-4146 or fax
her at 202-225-7711.
For anyone who has used the services of ATTRA, you know how important this
issue is.
For those who have not, I highly recommend that you call them at
1-800-346-9140 and see what they're about.
This issue is URGENT. The agriculture subcommittee will be meeting beginning
this coming Wednesday 9/27/95 regarding this issue, so contact them NOW.
Please.

Thank you
Mick Natco
Innovative Farmers of Ohio
216-834-4757
fax216-834-0370

---

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 00:24:34 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 10:38:59 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Attra funding loss (fwd)

Actually, the situation for ATTRA has gone beyond this.  Last week 
grassroots pressure succeeded in obtaining level funding in the Senate bill 
(floor action) for both ATTRA and RTCDG.  The challenge now is the 
conference commmittee to prevent them splitting the difference for ATTRA 
with the House appropriation of 0 (which could again mean a cut).  It would 
be especially helpful to call House committee members Skeen (NM), Myers 
(IN), Walsh (NY), Dickey (AR), Kingston (GA), Riggs (CA), Nethercutt (WA), 
and democrats Durbin (IL), Kaptur (OH), Thornton (AR) and Lowey (NY).  
Appropriations cmte chair is Livingston (LA) and ranking minority is Obey 
(WI).  In the Senate key members are McConnell (KY), Dole (KS), Santorum 
(PA), Craig (ID) and democrats Harking (IA), Heflin (AL) and Daschle (SD).  
Committee chair is Lugar (IN) and ranking member is Leahy (VT).

===============================
Elizabeth Ann R. Bird, Ph.D.
Executive Director, 
Consortium for Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education, and
Research and Technology Policy Project Leader,
Center for Rural Affairs
3609 Busse St.
Madison, WI  53714
608-249-5796
FAX 608-265-3020
Internet: [email-masked]