Subject: Proposal for FAQs for REC.PONDS Important - please read

From: [email-masked] (Andy Keeble)
Date: 05 Apr 95 22:02:12

REC.PONDS is a fairly new area, but seems to be growing rapidly. Many question
s are being asked quite regularly now, and a while back, I requested we start 
a FAQ for this area. Many other people have also put this suggestion forward, 
and several have contacted me since I posted.

Suggestion:-
I am willing to edit/update the FAQ for this area, and post it on a regular ba
sis, and on request to anybody asking for it. From the feedback I have receive
d so far, the consensus of opinion appears to have the FAQ split into several 
parts. Below are the suggestions so far, and a brief description of what they 
cover.

My Background:-
A little bit of my background. I live in Ipswich, which is on the East coast o
f England, about 70 miles North East of London and I have kept ponds and Koi i
n particular for over 15 years. I am a member of the British Koi Keepers Socie
ty, secretary of a local Koi club, and edit a magazine for the local club. I h
ave a pretty good knowledge of Koi keeping, but don't claim to know everything
! This is where all the readers of this group come in. With contributions from
 everybody, we can compile a useful FAQ between us, based on our individual kn
owledge.

Where do we go from here:-
I have listed below a way of splitting the FAQs into 4 areas, which can be bui
lt and posted individually. At this point in time, I would like you to read th
rough the list, and suggest anything you think is missing, or any other ideas.
 I would like to tackle each of the areas one at a time. In a few weeks I will
 post details of the area being worked on, and ask for people to contribute an
ything they can. I will then edit the replies, into a single FAQ, and repost f
or everybody to comment on. Once the area is finalised it will be kept up to d
ate as time progresses, and either posted monthly, or dispatched on request au
tomatically by a mail server . Once each area is completed I will move on to t
he next subject, until we have a complete and useful FAQ for everybody to use.

Please read the list below and let me know any additions you think we need. Th
is is not a tablet of stone, and is based on suggestions I have received so fa
r, and can, and probably will change a bit over the forthcoming weeks. I read 
my mail daily, and will do my best to reply to anyone sending me details as qu
ickly as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Suggested breakdown of FAQ for REC.PONDS so far.

1/ PONDS

a) Building a pond

Garden/goldfish/wildlife pond: Siting, How to, Materials to use, Size, Depth

Koi pond: Siting, How to, Materials to use, Size, Depth

Lake: Siting, How to, Materials to use, Size, Depth

b) Filtering a pond

How the nitrogen cycle works

How to test pond water

Do I need a filter

Filters for garden/goldfish ponds

Filters for small Koi ponds (upto 1000 gallons)

Filters for large Koi ponds (greater than 1000 gallons)

Types of filter media to use

Use of a vegetable filter

c) Common pond problems

Cloudy water

Green Water

Use of Ultra Violet clarifiers

What pump should I use (flow rate, electricity costs, etc)

Blanket weed

Avoiding predatation (ie cats, heron, racoons etc)

Pond safety, electrical, young children/animals etc

2/ FISH

a) Treating sick fish

Recommended methods of treating

Recommended chemicals/medications to use

Quarantine procedures for new fish

b) What fish can go in a pond

c) What and how much can I feed my fish

d) How many fish can I have in my pond

e) Preparing for winter

3/ PLANTS

What to plant in a pond

How to plant it (basket, floating, etc)

Care of (ready for winter, etc)

4/ OTHER

Recommended books

Landscaping
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Standard disclaimer:  The views of this user are strictly their own |
|     ===> Sent via CC-NET BBS [centron.com] +44-1473-273246 <===     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+