Subject: Outline for Rec.Ponds Faq : PLEASE READ!!

From: mercer@ceres (Eric Mercer)
Date: 11 Jan 95 16:38:50 GMT

Howdy!  Remember me?  I'm the lunatic who volunteered to create a faq
for the rec.ponds newsgroup.  Believe it or not, I didn't drop off
the face of the planet.  I just didn't realize how busy I would be
with other things.  Anyway, here's the rough outline that I promised
would be posted about 3 weeks ago.

There was a request that I separate the faq into three distinct
topics:

	1) ornamental, (non-biological) ponds
	2) aquiculture (food producing - ie: fish, hydroponics, etc) ponds
	3) naturalist (ie: biological) ponds

However, at this time I have decided that it would be best to concentrate
on water gardens, since that is the primary reason for this newsgroup's
existence.  As the newsgroup develops, we can add information to the faq
as required.  If you disagree with this, please send an e-mail reply to
the address indicated below.

There are about 20 questions below which I would like to answer in
the faq.  If you can think of any others that should be in here,
please send a reply  to [email-masked] (if you can reply via 
e-mail to this post, that should be okay).  Please make sure that "pond faq" 
is on the subject line of the e-mail.

I will post a rough draft of the faq in a few weeks, at which time I will
ask you to make suggestions about changes or corrections.  Then I will
finish & post the first version.

- Eric

-----------------------------------------------------------
What is rec.ponds?

How should I design my pond?

How do I build a pond?

What kind of (filter,pump,fountain,etc.) will I need?

How much water is in my pond?

What about safety issues (Kids falling in, GFCI outlet)?

I have a natural pond on my property, what can I do with it?

What is the correct ratio of pond size, fish, and plant ? *

What kind of fish can I put in my pond?

What other livestock (reptiles,amphibians,wildlife,etc.) can I have?

Can I have (trout,bass,carp,etc.) in my pond for fishing?

What should I do about mosquitoes?

How do I keep my livestock alive over winter?

What kind of plants can I put in my pond?

How do I keep my plants alive over winter?

How do I clean my pond?  How often should I?

How to keep pond water clean and clear ? *

How to control the growth of algae ? *

Is my water healthy for my fish?

-----------------------------------------------------------
* Thanks to John Lin for getting me started with a list of questions.
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------
|Eric A. Mercer                                                  |
[email-masked]	CVRC, University of Pennsylvania |
|office: (215)662-7837                                           |
------------------------------------------------------------------