Subject: Re: Book Recommendation Sought

From: Douglas Hinds <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:06:00 -0600

Hi Mike,

Sunday, November 28, 1999, 9:50:26 PM, you wrote:

mpc> Thanks to whomever recommended Soil Science Simplified... Any
mpc> recommendations for a book at the next level?

I highly recommend "Fertile Soil", published and available for
purchase on the web through agAccess: http://www.agaccess.com/

I bought it soon after it was published and wouldn't be without it.

Fertile Soil: A Grower's Guide to Organic & Inorganic Fertilizers
Robert Parnes; 1990, 210 Pages, Softcover

http://www.agribooks.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/~fg/st_prod.html?p_prodid=AGA005&sid=2Qu0HHFOL

       At last there is a book about fertilizer from someone who
       understands organic farming practices! This unpretentious book
       explains the basics of soil fertility and then goes into how to
       determine nutrient requirements for different crops. A thorough
       discussion of compost and other organic fertilizer sources
       follows. Several chapters on the major and minor fertilizer
       nutrients explain their role in the plant and how to supply
       them. Excellent tables provide hard to find information.

Availibility: In Stock. Ships in 1-2 days.
Item#: AGA005, Price: $39.95Fertile Soil: A Grower's Guide to Organic & Inorganic Fertilizers -
Robert Parnes, 1990, S

Should you want to consider other alternatives, a keyword search on
the Soil Management / Fertility Books section for the word "fertile"
brought the following:

Keyword Search Results

Bio-Gardener's Bible, The: How to Build a Super-Fertile Garden - Lee
Fryer, 1982, Softcover

Fertile Ground Book Catalog - International Edition - Fertile Ground,
Inc., 1999, Softcover

Fertile Soil: A Grower's Guide to Organic & Inorganic Fertilizers -
Robert Parnes, 1990, Softcover

Let it Rot! - Stu Campbell, 1997, Softcover

Secrets to Great Soil: A Growers Guide to Composting, Mulching and
Creating Heal - Stell, Elizabeth, 1998, Softcover

Soul of Soil: A Guide to Ecological Soil Management - Gershuny,
Smilie, 1995, Softcover

Soul of Soil: A Soil-Building Guide for Master Gardeners and Farmers -
Gershuny, Grace; Smilie, Joe, 1999, Softcover

If you want to examine *all* the whole Soil Management / Fertility
Books selections there are a lot more at:

http://www.agaccess.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/~fg/st_main.html?catid=123

Douglas Hinds - CeDeCoR, A.C.
[email-masked], [email-masked]

 *********** REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********

mpc> Thanks to whomever recommended Soil Science Simplified. Good
mpc> introduction.  Any recommendations for a book at the next level?

mpc> Background: I'm trying to improve a "white oak" silty clay loam soil that
mpc> is high in magnesium.  So far have added to ~ 1/2 acre 1500# sand, 1700# ag
mpc> gypsum, 2-3 cu yds. sawdust, some wood ash and a summer's worth of grass
mpc> clipping mulch.  Gypsum made a noticeable difference between the spring and
mpc> fall crops of snow peas.  Mike Miller
mpc> Three Stikes and They're Out.  Support Law and Order for all Legal
mpc> "Persons".   

mpc> To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
mpc> "unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
mpc> "unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
mpc> To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
mpc> "subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

mpc> All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
mpc> http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail