Subject: Re: Soil Quality Training

From: "Frederick R. Magdoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:30:36 -0400 (EDT)

Maurice,
	There was a two-day training session with extension and NRCS staff
as the primary audience held for the Northeast Region at Rodale Institute
and involving instructors from a number of land grant institutions as well
as from Rodale.This is part of a two year SARE PRofessional Development
Grant to develop and deliver an educational program plus materials that
field professionals can use for their programs. There is also a second
effort in the NE Region to evaluate materials that are already available
in the areas of soil quality and nutrient management and to identify gaps.  

	Please contact Laurie Drinkwater <[email-masked]>
for more information about the training workshop. For more information
regarding the effort to evaluate materials please contact Michelle
Infante, with Rutgers Coop. Extension <[email-masked]>.

	I would be interested in any information you receive from others
regarding your question. ALSO, if you have a list of resources, please
forward them to Michelle so that she could be sure that we have them all.

FRED

******************************************************************************* 
				Fred Magdoff 
			Northeast Region SARE Program
				Hills Building
			    University of Vermont
			    Burlington, VT 05405
			       tel:802-656-0472
			       fax:802-656-4656
******************************************************************************

---

From: Craig Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:11:16 -0400

Maurice:

I've been gathering soil health resources on the internet that may be of
value in training or as references.  See our Soil Health Menu at
Sustainable Farming Connection at:

http://sunsite.unc.edu/farming-connection/soilhlth/home.htm

Don't miss the link to more soil health links at the bottom of the page.
If you turn up more good internet resources or print publications on the
subject, please let me know so that I can add them to the page.

Craig

At 02:33 PM 9/15/97 -0600, you wrote:
>
>     
>     Has anyone is this group developed a short (training) course in soil 
>     quality , or do you know of anyone that has?  If so, I would 
>     appreciate a brief summary of the contents of the course, the intended 
>     audience, length of the course, training method (CD ROM, Web, 
>     classroom, etc.), costs, and the times of the year that it is taught 
>     (if in a classroom setting).
>     
>     Maurice J. Mausbach
>     Director, Soil Quality Institute
>     USDA-NRCS
>     Ames, IA
>     [email-masked]
>     
>
>
>

Craig Cramer
mailto:[email-masked]
Sustainable Farming Connection -- "Where farmers find and share information."
http://sunsite.unc.edu/farming-connection

"The water will never clear up 'til you get the hogs out of the creek."
-- Jim Hightower