Subject: Re: Mineral Content of Foods

From: Steve Diver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 18:28:28 +0000

Steve Groff wrote: 
> As a followup, I was wondering where I could get my soil tested for the minor
> minerals or are plant tissue tests better. how much does this test cost? What
> minerals should I test for? What is the best source of needed minerals. What is
> the most effective way to get the minerals into the plant?

The 14-page ATTRA's resource list titled "Alternative Soil Testing 
Laboratories" has just been revised (December 1999) and now available 
in print.  The updated web version will be on-line in January. 

I think it goes a long way to addressing this whole issue.  

There are plenty of soil labs -- using a variety of approaches and 
philosophies -- that can provide soil-test specific information to 
help farmers improve soil health and crop nutritional quality.  

Monitoring the crop in the field with on-site instruments, and 
following that with agronomic and horticultural adjustments to 
improve the nutritional and energetic status of the crop is the 
other part of the equation.

Steve Groff mentioned vitamins.  

In the list of Soil Test Supplies, Instruments, and Equipment section 
below -- lifted from Alternative Soil Testing Laboratories -- see the 
Vitamin C test strip from EM Science. Test strips are also available 
for nitrates.  These can be done as on-site tests at the farm, at the 
farmstand, or at the farmers market.  

One of the better on-site tests you can perform as an indicator
of taste is degrees Brix, using a refractometer.  The refractometer
is an precision optical instrument used in the food industry. 
The higher the Brix, the greater the soluble solids and sugars 
present in the sap of fruits and vegetables. 

On one of the California farms, they raised Brix readings on Japanese 
melons from 8 to 16.  This is a dramatic taste improvement.  This was 
done with supplemental foliar feeding  (Brix Mix from Peaceful Valley 
Supply) in addition to soil amendments.

In Wisconsin, the ginseng growers initiated a quality improvement
program to increase active herbal ingredients.  This was done through
soil testing, soil fertilizer programming, and foliar feeding. 

Steve Diver
ATTRA 
http://www.attra.org 

=================================================
Soil Test Supplies - Instruments - Equipment

Gempler's
100 Countryside Drive
PO Box 270
Belleville, WI  53508
800-382-8473
608-424-1544
608-424-1661 Fax
[Gempler's Master Catalog]
http://www.gemplers.com
Gempler's IPM Almanac]
http://www.ipmalmanac.com
  Gempler's carries a full line of soil testing equipment and IPM
supplies, including pH meters, Cardy meters, electrical conductivity
meters, soil test kits, and soil probes.  Of special interest is the
Professional Soil Quality Test Kit ($485), which provides indicators
of biological, physical, and chemical soil conditions.  This is the
test kit promoted by USDA-NRCS, also known as the USDA Soil Health
Test Kit.  It was developed in the early 1990's by Dr. John Doran, a
USDA soil scientist, in collaboration with the Rodale Institute in
Pennsylvania.  The test kit is accompanied the USDA Soil Management
Manual (Item No. RGM97) which describes testing procedures for: pH,
nitrates, salinity (EC), soil compaction, soil moisture, soil 
biological activity (respiration), soil texture, water infiltration, 
bulk density, earthworms, and waster quality.  The manual sells 
individually for $9.95.

Hach Co.
P.O. Box 389
Loveland, CO  80539-0389
800-227-4224
970-669-3050
970-669-2932 Fax
[email-masked]
http://www.hach.com
  Hach Co. manufacturers a number of portable soil and water quality 
monitoring instruments:  pH meters, electrical conductivity, percent 
base saturation, colorimeter meter.

LaMotte Co.
P.O. Box 329
Chestertown, MD  21620
800-344-3100
410-778-3100
410-778-6394 Fax
[email-masked]
http://www.lamotte.com
  The LaMotte STH Soil Test Kit features the  Morgan Universal Soil
Extraction Solution , the solution used in the Reams Test, to 
measure plant available nutrients.  The Kit  includes a colorimetric 
Humus Screening Test.  LaMotte carries a complete line of soil & 
water quality monitoring instruments.

Pike Lab Supplies     
RR 2, Box 710
Strong, ME  04983
207-684-5131 
207-684-5133 Fax
Contact: Bob Pike
[email-masked]
http://kiosk.maine.com/pals/
  Extensive selection of on-farm testing supplies: refractometers,
paramagnetic soil meter, electrical conductivity, soil test kits,
compost test kits, Cardy meters.  Pike Lab Supplies also carries a
wide selection of books on eco-farming. 

Spectrum Technologies, Inc.
23839 W. Andrew Rd.
Plainfield Illinois 60544
800-248-8873
815-436-4440
815-436-4460 Fax
[email-masked]
http://www.specmeters.com/index.htm
  Spectrum Technologies manufacturers a number of portable soil and
water quality monitoring instruments: pH, electrical conductivity,
nutrient test strips, Cardy meters, colorimeter meter. 

EM Science
Regional and National Distributors
856-423-6300 
800-222-0342 
856-423-4389 Fax
http://www.emscience.com
  EM Science manufacturers test strips for pH, nitrates, nitrites, 
ammonia, phosphorus, calcium, and vitamin C.  The reflectoquant 
meter is used in combination with test strips for rapid and accurate 
determination of results. 
==================================================

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail