Subject: Introduction to Breznak Research Group

From: "John A. Breznak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 14:30:33 -0600 (CST)

Hello Symbiosis-Research Group Members.
   I would like to introduce myself and my research group to you by
summarizing the research in my laboratory dealing with symbiosis.
   We are studying symbiotic interactions between termites and their gut
microflora. In particular, we are examining the extent to which gut
microbes are involved in the dissimilation of lignocellulosic plant
material and the importance of specific gut microbes to the C, N
and energy needs of the insects.
   The focus of our research at the moment is on "terminal" organisms of
the anaerobic food in the gut, i.e. methanogens and homoacetogens. We seek
to explain why, enigmatically, homoacetogens (4 H2 + 2 CO2 --> Acetate + 2
H2O) outcompete methanogens (4 H2 + CO2 --> CH4 + 2 H2O) as a hydrogen
"sink" during fermentative dissimilation of carbohydrates in the hindgut.
  We are also examining the molecular phylogeny of the morphologically-
distinctive, but not-yet-cultured, organisms present in termite guts
(eg. spirochetes), and we are attempting to isolate and characterize some
curious endospore-forming bacteria that are members of the gut community.
   Most of our work is being done with Reticulitermes flavipes termites (a
wood-feeding "lower termite" that is available locally, and for which we
have established a substantial data base), However, from time to time
(depending on their availability) we conduct studies on "higher termites"
representing various feeding guilds (wood- and soil(humus)-feeding, and
fungus-cultivating).
  The following phrases describe my laboratory's OVERALL interests:
microbial symbioses; microbial diversity; functional & physiological
ecology of microbes; degradation of lignocellulosic plant materials; anoxic
degradation of xylans by free-living cytophagas.
John A. Breznak, Professor