Subject: Nutrient solutions

From: [email-masked] ("Charles P. West")
Date: 4 Jan 1996 15:13:35 -0800

I am posting a nutrient solution that allows for + or - N levels.
It's a modified Hoaglund's solution #1 and will be described in a 
soon-to-appear paper:  da Silva, M.P., L.C. Purcell, and C.A. 
King.  1996.  Soybean ureide response to water deficits and decreased 
transpiration.  Crop Science (in press).

                                          Conc. of compound
Stock solution         Compound              g/L of stock
---------------  --------------------     ------------------
1                K2HPO4                       27.22
2                KNO3                        101.11
3                Ca(NO3)2*4H2O               236.15
4                MgSO4*7H2O                   98.59

5                H3BO3                         0.57
                 MnCl2*4H2O                    0.36
                 ZnSO4*7H2O                    0.04
                 CuSO4*5H2O                    0.016
                 H2MoO4*H2O                    0.004

6                Sequestrene Fe (10%)          2.75

7                KCl                          37.2
                 CaCl2                        73.5
------------------------------------------------------------

With nitrogen:  Add 5 mL of stock solutions 1-6 to 1 L of deionized water 
to make full strength solution.  The N conc. will be 420 mg/L or 30 mM.

No nitrogen:  Add 5 mL of stock solutions 1, 4, 5 and 6, and 10 mL of 
stock solution 7 to 1 L of deionized water to make full strength solution.

I'd be willing to fax or mail the nutrient solution recipe of Smith et 
al. (1983, New Phytologist 94:537-548) which I modified to accomodate 
various N levels from nil to 143 mM (0 to 200 mg/L) to anyone who so 
requests.  I described this a few days ago here, but it's too complicated 
for me to put in my email.

Chuck West
[email-masked]