Subject: Post-Doc position Lyon

From: [email-masked] (Yvan Rahbe - Lyon)
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 1995 18:11:52 +0100

To News groups:bionet.biology.symbiosis and sci.bio.entomology.misc

Post-Doc position opened at INSA-Lyon (France). Urgent
Lab associated to INRA, Zoology Department -French Natl. Agron. Res. Institute-
This offer has already been posted in early 95. Due to late cancelling of
a candidate offer, we are posting it again. Position may start as soon as
possible, and in anycase preferably before End October of 1995. Additional
information on request ([email-masked]).

- A post-Doc position for one year is available for a biologist/biochemist
interested in insect plant interactions and symbiotic systems.
The post-doc position is part of a European Union network project on
"Aphid biology and symbiosis" (Human Capital & Mobility program), and thus
restricted to European Union citizens (+ related countries for scientific
programs). As the work is to be conducted in a french laboratory*, it is
not open to french citizens.
The other labs in the network belong to INRA Rennes (FRA), Dept Genetics
U. Valencia (ESP), Dept Biology U. York (GBR) and Dept Entomology U.
Wageningen.

- The scientific programs may shortly be desribed as follows:
Background: scientific objectives of the network
1. To construct phylogenies of aphids and their symbiotic bacteria,
through molecular analyses of aphid and bacterial genomes.
2. To establish the genetic bases of life cycle variation, and hence the
population structure of aphid species.
3. To define the nutritional role of symbiotic bacteria in aphids, in
relation to host plant utilisation, by metabolic techniques.
4. To analyse the influence of the symbiosis on the first phases of host
plant discrimination, through studies of aphid feeding behaviour.

The scientific organisation of the network is based primarily on the work
programme of  postdoctoral fellowships, and the program proposed in Lyon
relates to the above objective #3. Molecular, metabolic and behavioural
methods will be applied to establish how the bacteria are integrated into
the nutritional biology of aphids. The metabolic approach will concentrate
primarily on amino acid metabolism. The objective is to characterise the
metabolic potential of markedly different pea aphid "biotypes" regarding
amino acid metabolism.
Methodology: i) Linking biological typology (host-associated performance)
and free amino acid pools in the aphid organism (symbiotic and
aposymbiotic). ii) Quantifying the metabolic pathways in different
biotypes with radioactive tracers. iii) testing hypotheses on the
regulation of  nitrogen metabolism by the aphid symbiosis.

- Workshops and working visits to other network partners may be included
in the post-doc program.

- The candidate will be offered around 9300 FF (net) monthly**.

* Lyon, INSA - Biochemistry Department, Campus de La Doua
** 6.50 FF makes an ECU, depending on the day :-)

Please Contact Yvan Rahbe ([email-masked])

-- 
Yvan Rahbe
INRA-INSA, Biologie Appliquee
20. ave . Einstein, 69621
Villeurbanne, France, Europe