Subject: Re: Environmental Science

From: [email-masked] ("Professor David Richardson, Dean of Science")
Date: 12 Jan 1996 10:27:28 -0800

Saint Mary's is a university with some 7,000 full time students split 
into three faculties. The Science faculty consists of eight 
departments. Faced with financial cutbacks we are considering 
various patterns of structural reorganization including forming three 
schools one of which would be environmental science incorporating 
biology, chemistry and geology plus ACCESS (Atlantic Canada Centre 
for Environmental Science). We would continue to mount our major and 
honurs programmes in biology, geology and chemistry as well as our 
Environmental Studies programme (presently coordinated by ACCESS) but 
have these units under a single cost centre. 

I would be most interested to hear from anyone in the USA whose 
university offers an environmental science or environmental studies 
programme and find out what structural/interdisciplinary organization 
pertains at their institution. I would like to know of cases where a 
structural reorganization similar to that suggested above has been a 
success or or failur and the reasons for the outcome. 

Any help would be very welcome

David

Professor D.H.S. Richardson
Dean of Science
Saint Mary's University,
Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.

E-MAIL:  [email-masked]
Phone: (902)420-5493 or 5494 (work) 422-4979 (home)
Fax: (902)420-5261