Subject: Re: need info

From: "Lauraine Hawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 15:19 EST

In-Reply-To:  epichloe AT tango.aum.edu -- Thu, 2 Feb 1995 08:25:03 -0600 (CST)

Yesterday Jim White asked for help in planning a course. He had a couple
of very good questions:

>Are there text books that might be suitable for a course?

>I am interested in making the course as comprehensive as possible so a
>good general treatment would be desirable.

>Are there certain key readings (articles or books)?

I would like to add a few more questions. I have been very interested
in the diverse research being described in the introductions we are
doing. I am familiar with some of the systems and not with others.
I am at a branch campus with no library holdings for journals, so I
have to interlibrary loan _all_ requests to Penn State's main library
and wait weeks for a copy of a paper, if it eventually makes it here.

My questions:

Are there particular journals that are hot spots for publication of
work on symbioses? In my experience papers are scattered and often
in journals that focus on the taxa of one symbiont, making them hard
to find.

Are there any particular terms that you have found to be especially
valuable in searching electronic databases (CARL's Uncover, Table of
Contents, or many others) besides the names of symbionts or the term
symbiosis? Searches based on names limit one to systems that are
familiar & I'm sure I am missing out on some great information! I also
require my students to do some sample searches on these systems and
want to provide them terms that will bring back interesting results.

These questions seemed to tie into the ones Jim White was asking, so
I suspect we'd both appreciate answers / suggestions for any / all of
these topics.

Thanks! Lauraine Hawkins ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:38:07 -0600 (CST)

> in journals that focus on the taxa of one symbiont, making them hard

There is the journal Symbiosis published by Balaban Publishers in 
Israel.  Unfortunately there are only 2 issues per year and not that many 
articles are actually involved.  However, the mission of this journal is 
to cover all types of symbiosis.

Much of the fungus plant mutualism work can be found in the mycological 
journals Mycologia and Mycological Research.  

> want to provide them terms that will bring back interesting results.

A lot of fungal symbionts can be located using the terms 'endophyte'.  
Also the term 'endosymbiont' yields some good stuff.

Jim White
Auburn University at Montgomery