Subject: Molecular Systematics - Staff Biologist Position

From: [email-masked] (Matt Kane)
Date: 8 Jun 1995 09:58:10 -0700

The National Museum of Natural History's Laboratory of Molecular
Systematics is seeking applicants for the position of Staff Biologist and
would like your assistance in identifying suitable candidates.  This is an
exciting opportunity for someone with interests in systematics and
evolution, who has considerable talent and devotion to working at the
laboratory bench.    The position requires an individual with experience
such as that which might be obtained by working in a postdoctoral position
in molecular genetics, or as the head technician in a laboratory devoted to
molecular evolutionary biology.  Staff Biologists work in a fairly
independent manner, but under the supervision of a Principal Investigator,
on projects defined by him or her.  In addition to general management of
the lab, major duties of the position will include training and assisting
incoming researchers in the use of molecular genetic techniques and other
laboratory procedures, overseeing and maintaining facilities, laboratory
bench space, equipment and supplies, planning and carrying out biochemical
and molecular genetic laboratory experiments pertinent to various research
projects of the laboratory, and analyzing data and paticipating in writing
up research for publication.  Starting salary range: $36,174 - 43,356.  For
more information about the position, contact Dr. Matthew Kane or Dr.
Michael Braun at (301) 238-3444; email: kane(or braun)@onyx.si.edu; for
application information, call our 24-hour automated request center: (202)
287-3102, press 9, and request Vacancy Announcement No. 95-1080R and a full
application package.  Applications must be received no later than June 30,
1995.   (Note: U.S. Citizenship is required; this is a career position with
the U.S. Government - GS 11/12, with promotion potential to GS 13).  An
Equal Opportunity Employer.

The Laboratory of Molecular Systematics (LMS) at the National Museum of
Natural History, Smithsonian Institution employs research staff with a
solid foundation in organismal and evolutionary biology complemented by
highly specialized skills in molecular genetic techniques.  Our research
programs include: 1) Theory and practice of molecular phylogenetics; 2)
Geographic variation, hybridization and speciation; 3) Genetic diversity of
natural populations; 4) Patterns and processes of molecular evolution in
specific genes or gene families; and 5) Ancient DNA research.  The
Laboratory is located at the Smithsonian Institution Museum Support Center
in Suitland, Maryland.

Dr. Matthew D. Kane                                   Telephone: (301) 238-3226
Laboratory of Molecular Systematics                Fax: (301) 238-3059
National Museum of Natural History          Email:[email-masked]
Smithsonian Institution
MSC, MRC-534
Washington, D.C. 20560