Subject: 2ND WORLD CONGRESS CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY

From: Fazel Famili <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Nov 1995 15:03:04 GMT

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS
                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                2ND WORLD CONGRESS CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    Ottawa, Canada, September 1 - 7, 1996

The scientific investigation 
of any kind of cell, despite the differences in morphological structures, 
is based on one general dynamic scheme, a common conceptual basis with no 
separations or frontiers.  The 1st World Congress on Cellular and Molecular 
Biology provided the opportunity for not only a general account of the 
latest achievements in this fundamentally interdisciplinary field, but 
also the specific accomplishments of individual researchers.  The 2nd 
World Congress will continue to build on this foundation to correlate 
apparently different structures and functions with common biochemical 
features at the molecular level, keeping in mind that almost all living 
organisms function according to common chemical mechanisms and metabolisms.

The key role of many aspects of cellular and molecular biology in processes 
surrounding cancer and biotechnology has led to a virtual renaissance in 
the field. Cellular and Molecular Biology is a logical concept, because 
to understand living matter, we must know the morphological stages upon 
which various molecules perform.  Cellular and Molecular Biology tries 
to understand how living things work and how they may be regulated or 
dysregulated.  To reach their goals, scientists and researchers in life 
sciences can improve their knowledge in this growing interdisciplinary 
field through the 2nd World Congress on Cellular and Molecular Biology.

The 1996 Congress will take place in Ottawa, Canada's Capital, September 
1 - 7.  The Congress will focus on the growing linkages between the various 
life sciences.  The Congress will be organized around a structure of ten 
sessions of symposia at which all paper presenters will have the opportunity 
to address the delegates.  Abstracts and full papers will be published in 
separate issues of Cellular and Molecular Biology Journal.  Ten Continuing 
Education Credit Workshops, presentations at plenary sessions and invited 
lectures by Nobel Prize Laureates and the chairs of sessions will further
 enhance the Program.  For the 2nd World Congress, it has been decided to 
add a major exhibition of the latest biotechnical equipment, products, 
services and scientific publications. A social program including several 
receptions and the "President's Banquet" will round out the Congress program.
REGISTER BY JANUARY 15, 1996 AND SAVE $300 OFF THE LATE REGISTRATION FEE.

PRESENTATIONS:	If you wish to submit an abstract, please contact the 
Congress Coordination Office or check the "Abstract Information" box on 
the back page of this brochure to receive complete instructions for 
Abstract submission. Scientists wishing to present a paper must submit 
a one page abstract in accordance with the detailed instructions before 
March 1, 1996 for Lecture Committee Review. If an abstract is accepted 
by the Scientific Board, it will be published in a special issue of Cellular 
and Molecular Biology Journal. Presenting authors will also be invited 
to submit, for "internal peer review", a manuscript of their presentation 
for consideration to be published in a separate special issue of Cellular 
and Molecular Biology Journal.

PROGRAM:
========	

10 concurrent sessions with a total of 76 symposia are planned.

SESSION I:  ADVANCES IN INSTRUMENTATION AND TECHNIQUES
------------------------------------------------------
Advances in Microscopy
Advances in Autoradiography
Chromosomes and Their Replication
Cell and Tissue Culture
Cytospectral Analyses
Immobilized and Reticulated Enzymes
Immunochemistry
In Situ Hybridization
Histochemistry and Cytochemistry
Molecular Cloning and Expression
Monoclonal and Polyclonal Antibodies
Magnetic Resonance
Polymerise Chain Reaction
Spectrographic Methods

SESSION II:  BIO-TECHNOLOGY
---------------------------
Bio-Computers
New Biological Energy Sources
Plant and Plant-Animal Transgenesis
Antibodies and Protein Engineering
Novel Therapies and Pharmaceuticals

SESSION III:  MOLECULAR CELL BIOLOGY
------------------------------------
Adhesion Molecules
Blood Sugar Regulating Hormones
Calcified Tissues: Bone and Bone Diseases
Cell and Tissue Markers
Mitotic Proteins
Chaperones, Chaperonins and Stress Proteins
Cytokines and Messengers
Cytoskeleton
Gene Structure, Function and Expression
Growth Factors
Trophoblast and Tumour Markers

SESSION IV:  CELLULAR PHYSIOLOGY AND REGULATION
-----------------------------------------------
Biology of Stem Cells
Calcium Channels
Cell-Cell Communication
Cell Death, Apoptosis and Anoikis
Cholinergic Muscarinic Receptors
Chronobiology: Molecular, Cellular and Social Aspects
Cytokine Regulators of Infection and Immunity
Ion Pumps
Glial Cell Receptors
Hematopoiesis
Liver Cell Metabolism: Regulation and Disease
Neurotransmission: Molecular, Genetic and Clinical Aspects
Nero-Modulators
Neuromuscular System
Neuropeptides, Their Genes, Storage and Secretion
The Evolution of Hormone Receptors
Receptor Expression and Regulation
Immune Cell Regulation
Cellular Organelles
Signalling for Cell Growth and Differentiation
Transmembrane Transport

SESSION V:  CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR PATHOLOGY
--------------------------------------------
Retroviruses and Related Diseases
Tissue Injury and Repair
Biology of Aging
Antihypertensive Drugs
Autoimmune Diseases
Cancer Preventives and Therapeutics
Cellular and Molecular Biology of Cancer
Oncogenic Viruses
Genetic Diseases
Lymphomas and Immune Reactions
Human Molecular Genetics
Hypertensive Factors

SESSION VI:  MICROBIOLOGY, PARASITOLOGY AND VIROLOGY
----------------------------------------------------
General Microbiology
General Parasitology
General Virology
Sexually Transmissible Diseases
Virus-Host Cell Interactions
PCR Technology and Infectious Diseases

SESSION VII:  TOXICOLOGY AND XENOBIOTICS
----------------------------------------
Bioimplants and Their Influences on Organisms
Cellular Toxicology
Metal Toxicity

SESSION VIII:  PLANT MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR BIOLOGY
---------------------------------------------------
Phyto-Estrogens
Plant Cell Chemistry
Plant Molecular Biology and its Practical Application

SESSION IX:  NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN MARINE BIOLOGY
-----------------------------------------------

SESSION X:  ETHICS AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IN BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
-------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT WORKSHOPS:
--------------------------------------

Ten Workshops on the following subjects are planned.

1. Radioautography
2. Nuclear Microprobes in Biology and Medicine
3. Microspectographic Probes
4. New Strategy for Aids Therapy
5. New Strategy for Various Vaccines Against Hepatitis C
6. Apoptoses and Cell Cycle
7. Securing Grants in Life Sciences
8. Polymerase Chain Reaction in Life Science
9. Alternatives to Animal Testing
10.Transgenic Models in Life Sciences and Pharmaceutical Research

CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY EXHIBITION:
------------------------------------------

The Congress will also feature a technical exhibition of scientific 
instruments, products, services and publications.  Booth space rental rates 
are available by contacting the Congress Coordination Office.

CONGRESS ORGANIZATION:
----------------------
Canadian Organization Board

M.M. Ennaji, President, Ottawa
R. Athanasious, Institut Armand-Frappier, Laval
L.A. Babiuk, Vetrinary Infectious Disease
F. Bishai, Canadian College of Microbiology, Toronto
L. Chalifour, McGill University, Montreal
F. Erchiqui, Infocentre Professionnel, Quebec
F. Famili, NRC, Ottawa
Y. Geoffrion, NRC, Ottawa
K. Hamelin, NRC, Ottawa
Z. Jafarzadegan, Universite de Laval, Quebec
A. Merzouki, B.C. Centre of Excellence in HIV AIDS,
    Vancouver
S. Mounir, Universite de Montreal, Montreal
J. Phipps, NRC, Ottawa
C. Poirel, McGill University, Montreal
S.J. Siddiqui, NRC, Ottawa
M. Wegmann, General Manager of Publications and
    Editions, Paris, France
I. Kazmi, CA, Congress Finance Officer, Ottawa
Golden Planners Inc., Congress Management, Ottawa

Congress Presidential Board

J.A. Grimaud, (Institut Pasteur, Lyon, France)
M.M. Ennaji (NRC*, Ottawa, Canada)
R.F. Ochillo (Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans, USA)

International Steering Board

M.M. Ennaji (Canada)
J.A. Grimaud (France)
K.J. Halbhuber (Germany)
S.A. McNairy (USA)
T. Nagata (Japan)
R.F. Ochillo (USA)
R.J. Wegmann (France)

* NRC refers to the National Research Council of Canada

For more information , please contact:
Cellular and Molecular Biology 2nd World Congress Coordination Office
c/o Golden Planners Inc.
Suite 401, 126 York Street
Ottawa, ON (Canada)  K1N 5T5
Tel:	(613) 241-9333
Fax:	(613) 565-2173
Email:	[email-masked]

PRODUCED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE WORLD SOCIETY ON CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY

          2nd World Congress on Cellular and Molecular Biology
                         Registration Form

Please retain a copy for your records

First Name:                          Last Name:

Title:                               Department:

City:                                Prov./State/Terr.:

Country:                             Postal Code:

Telephone:                           Facsimile:

E-Mail:                              Special Requirements:

Please indicate the applicable category:

                                                    Student Fee *
Early Registration (before January 15,1996)         C$300.00 [US$230]
Regular Registration (before April 15, 1996)        C$375.00 [US$290]
Late Registration (after April 15, 1996)            C$450.00 [US$350]

                                                    Registration Fee **
Early Registration (before January 15,1996)         C$550.00 [US$425]
Regular Registration (before April 15, 1996)        C$700.00 [US$540]
Late Registration (after April 15, 1996)            C$850.00 [US$655]

	                        Total Payment:      [__________]

[____] Tickets to the President's Banquet @ C$85 [US$66] each 

* Students require a letter of accreditation from their University
** Registration Fees in equivalent US funds at the time of printing 
are shown in brackets.  The Organizing Committee reserves the right to 
make any necessary adjustments based on exchange rate fluctuation.

Registration Payment:
---------------------
Payment will be accepted in either Canadian Dollars drawn on a Canadian 
Bank or in American Dollars drawn on an American Bank.

Method of payment:
------------------

Cheque or money order payable to "Cellular and Molecular Biology 2nd 
World Congress"

VISA			       Eurocard / Mastercard

Account Number:                           Expiry Date: 

Name on Card:	               Signature:	          Date: 

Cancellation Policy:  Cancellations received in writing by the Congress 
Coordination Office prior to June 30, 1996 will be eligible for a refund, 
less a 25% administration charge.  Cancellations received after this date
will not be eligible for any reimbursement.

( ) Please send me more information about submitting an Abstract for 
consideration

( ) Please send me more information on the Partners Program

Hotel Accommodation: At the time of printing, negotiations with the local 
area hotels had not been completed and consequently the rate structure is 
not available.  As soon as it becomes available, a hotel accommodation 
reservation form will be sent to all early registrants.  All hotels are 
within at most a 15 minute leisurely walk from the Ottawa Congress Centre 
and range in price from approximately C$85 (single) to C$170 (for a two 
bedroom suite).

Please complete this form and return it, along with your payment to:

Cellular and Molecular Biology 2nd World Congress Coordination Office
c/o Golden Planners Inc.
126 York Street, Suite 4O1
Ottawa, Ontario (Canada)  K1N 5T5
Tel: (613) 241-9333, Fax: (613) 565-2173
E-mail: [email-masked]

For Office Use only:

DR:                  Ent:
PR:                  PO:
PC:                  CF:
HF:                  RN:

Please share this information with your colleagues

CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
2nd WORLD CONGRESS

Ottawa, Canada, September 1-7, 1996

Name	_____________________________________________
(This person must be registered* for the Congress and must be an 
author on the paper) 

Mark one:
	(  )	Enclosed is my registration for the Congress

	(  )	I am already registered for the Congress

Telephone No.	___________________________________

Fax No.		___________________________________

Mail Address:	___________________________________

		___________________________________

E-mail address:	___________________________________
	Symposium Designation

No.  Title 

( )   _______________________________________________________

      _______________________________________________________

( )   _______________________________________________________

      _______________________________________________________

*Presenters must be registered either before submitting the abstract or 
send their registration with their abstract.