Subject: SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH/bionet.biology.symbiosis passes: 149 YES to 1 NO

From: BIOSCI Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 95 18:16:28 PDT

I am pleased to announce that the proposal to create
SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH/bionet.biology.symbiosis passed by a vote of 149
YES to 1 NO.  We will proceed to create this group in the next few
days.  Subscribers to the current symbios mailing list at net.bio.net
will remain on the list but will have the option of cancelling their
mail subscription when the USENET newsgroup is ready.

Please await a formal announcement that the newsgroup is ready before
changing your subscriptions.  The symbios mailing list remains
operational in the interim.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				[email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposal to establish SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH/bionet.biology.symbiosis

Proposed USENET name: bionet.biology.symbiosis

Proposed mailing list name: SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH

Proposed mailing addresses: [email-masked]
			    [email-masked]

Discussion leader: 

		James F. White, Jr.
		Department of Biology
		Auburn University at Montgomery
		Montgomery, AL 36117

		Tel: 334-244-3739
		FAX: 334-244-3826
		Email: [email-masked]

Purpose of this group:

Symbiotic associations are common in nature.  Many types of organisms 
form symbiotic associations to increase fitness and survival of one or 
both partners in the association.  In some symbiotic associations 
improved nutritional capabilities are the basis of the associations.  For 
example, in the marine environment photosynthetic dinoflagellates become 
endosymbiotic (zooxanthellae) of corals and other heterotrophs.  This 
symbiosis accounts for the high productivity of the coral reef habitat.  
Similarly, heterotrophic marine Foraminifera often contain green algae 
and diatoms,  sea squirts often contain photosynthetic cyanobacteria, 
and marine tubellarians often contain chloroplasts taken from diatoms.  
Many land plants associate with microbes (e.g., mycorrhizae and 
rhizobia) in the soil that enable them to derive nutrients more 
efficiently.  Other symbiotic associations enhance the defensive 
capabilities of one or both partners.  Examples here include the fungal 
endophytes of grasses, pines, and other plants, where endophytes 
produce chemicals that protect leaves from herbivory.  Another example 
is Acacia plants that associate with ants which attack herbivores 
that attempt to consume leaves.  Symbiotic associations often function 
to increase the enzymatic capabilities of the symbiotic partners.  
Through symbiosis with cellulose-degrading microbes, ruminants and 
termites gain access to cellulases.  Similarly, through association 
with mosquito larvae, pitcher plants gain access to enzymes necessary 
to degrade the bodies of insects which they entrap.  It is generally 
accepted that endosymbiotic events among primitive cells contributed to 
the evolution of eukaryotes.  The 'endosymbiotic hypothesis' for the 
origin of chloroplasts and mitochondria is an important concept for 
understanding evolution of living things on earth.

The proposed newsgroup will enable symbiologists to communicate more 
effectively across barriers of subdisciplines of biology and geographical 
distance.  It will enable us to evolve a common vocabulary for describing 
symbiotic associations.  The absence of a clearly defined and widely 
accepted vocabulary presently plagues research in symbiosis.  This 
newsgroup will enable symbiologists to organize meetings, symposia, 
seminars, etc....  Research in symbiosis will be facilitated by enabling 
researchers to consult a broad cross-section of symbiosis researchers 
about problems or ideas.

Subscriptions are welcome from all persons interested in symbiosis 
research.  
----------------------------------------------------------------------