Subject: Re: need info (fwd)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:22:13 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 09:16:14 -0600 (CST)
From: Charles P. West <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: need info

Jim:  Molecular signals in plant-microbe interactions. 1992.  Desh Pal S. 
Verma (ed.)  CRC Press.

Chuck West

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:22:52 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 08:22:29 -0800 (PST)
From: George Mueller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: need info

Hi,

Three super books are:

Ahmadjian, Vernon and Surindar Paracer.  1986.  Symbiosis: An 
introduction to Biological Associations.  University Press of New England 
212 pgs.

A wonderful book,  with a more morphological and taxonomic emphasis, that 
is readable and provides an excellent overview of the subject.  The 
authors subscribe to the idea that the direction of parasitism is towards 
non pathogenicity and have several other ideas that may not be quite with 
the main stream of current thought.  The book is does not treat 
biochemistry of symbiosis or some other topics.  I donot think that this 
is bad because it affords the opportunity to suppliment the text with 
reading for the literature such as Robert Mays' ideas  on parasitism and 
pathogenicity or the immune system in animals or on current ideas in 
coevolution.  It also offers the opportunity for you to give the "tie 
together" lectures of central themes in symbiosis.

Douglas, Angela E., 1994.  Symbiotic Interactions.  Oxford University Press
148 pgs.

This excellent book is more biochemical and physiological in nature.  It 
would be hard to give a course based on this book with out a lot of 
supplimental material and reading.  It might make a companion text along 
with Ahmadjian and Paracer.  It should be read by every beginner in 
symbiosis.

Smith, David C.and Angela E. Douglas.  1987.  The Biology of Symbiosis. 
E. Arnold. 302pgs

This book is packed with information of a biochemical and physiological 
nature.  It is written in the more English dry kind of style that is not 
so accessable to students.  It would make a good text book if the 
direction of your course were more biochemical.  One could then 
supplement with the taxonomy and structure.

I envious of your opportunity to teach Symbiosis.

Please share with us your  ideas for labs.

George

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:21:35 -0600 (CST)

Dear symbiologists,

	Thanks for the help with literature material for my planned 
course on the biology of symbiosis.  Lauraine Hawkins has indicated 
interest in this literature also.  Probably there are others that are 
also interested.  I am going to post the literature info that I have 
received so far.  

	It might be useful to post your suggestions for text and reading 
material for symbiosis courses.  

	Since getting symbiosis literature is a major problem because of 
its diverse nature, it might be useful for all of us to get ideas about 
where the literature is located and how to access it.  It is probably a 
good idea to post the answers to Lauraine Hawkins' questions also.

Jim White
Auburn University at Montgomery

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 10:15:50 -0500
From: Matt Kane <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: need info

I can highly reccomend Symbiotic Interactions (1994) by Angela E. Douglas

Dr. Matthew D. Kane
Laboratory of Molecular Systematics
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
MSC, MRC-534
Washington, D.C. 20560
Telephone: (301) 238-3226
Fax: (301) 238-3059
Email:[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:23:33 -0600 (CST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 1995 09:37:18 -0300
From: GEORGE CARROLL <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: need info

Dear Jim,

        With regard to fungal mutualisms, my own chapter in the last edition 
of the Fungal Community would be a good place to start.

                                   George