Subject: Re: proposal...

From: "SIMONE THERESIA BOESCH" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 10:40:40 +0100

I think it is a good idea to put a wider range of symbiontic 
interactions into the proposal. 
I am working on marine turbellarians (Macrostomum hystricinum 
marinum) since November 1994. These animals take fragments of chloroplasts
from the feeding diatoms (Nitzschia curvilineata) and store them in the 
epidermal cells.  The tylakoid-membrane fragments were first found in 
ultrastructural investigations on these worms. 
My teacher Prof. Dr. R. M. Rieger pruposes that this could be a kind 
of endosymbiotic interaction. I know that "endosymbiosis" is not correct
because the definition of symbiosis means that both partners benifit of this 
relation.
If anyone else is working on a similar kind of "symbiosis"it would be 
nice to hear from your experiences and problems.

Simone

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Simone T. Boesch  <[email-masked]>
Dept. of Zoology, University of Innsbruck
Technikerstrasse 25, A - 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
phone:  (43)-512-507-6171,  fax: (43)-512-507-2930
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

---

From: David W Tapley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 10:28:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, SIMONE THERESIA BOESCH wrote:

[...]

> nice to hear from your experiences and problems.

Simone:

I have worked on a similar "symbiosis" - Elysia chlorotica, a 
saccoglossan that retains entire chloroplasts from its preferred food, 
the siphonaceous alga Vaucheria. Much of the early work on 
"kleptoplastid" symbioses was done by Bob Trench at U California at Santa 
Barbara.  He published an interesting paper in the early 70s called "Of 
leaves that crawl: ..." (I don't recall the exact wording after the 
colon!). I can dig up the entire reference, as well as others, if you wish.

Dave

p.s. please say "hi" to Reinhard and to Erich Gnaiger if you see him.