Subject: Proposal for formalizing Symbiosis Newsgroup (fwd)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 10:42:39 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Symbiologists,

	I have attached the proposal for formalizing the symbiosis 
newsgroup.  This has been sent to Dave Kristofferson at BIONET.  I have 
tried to write the proposal so that it would be inclusive of various 
types of symbiosis.  However, at the same time, I have tried to avoid 
mention of anything controversial.  Since this has the effect of drawing 
antagonism from people.  Because our proposal will undergo a period of 
discussion on the BIOFORUM newsgroup, we don't want antagonism.  

	If you see anything in the proposal that is incorrect or 
offensive, let me know and I will send a modification.  

Thanks,

Jim White
[email-masked]
Symbnet Moderator 

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 10:22:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: Dave Kristofferson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Proposal for Symbiosis Newsgroup

_____________________________________________________________________

Proposal to establish SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH/bionet.biology.symbiosis

Proposed USNET name: bionet.biology.symbiosis

Proposed mailing list name: SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH

Proposed mailing addresses: [email-masked]
                            [email-masked]

Discussion leader:

	James F. White, Jr.
	Department of Biology
	Auburn University at Montgomery
	Montgomery, AL 36117

	Tel: 334-244-3739
        FAX: 334-244-3826
	EMAIL: [email-masked]

Purpose of this group:
 
Symbiotic associations are common in nature.  Many plants associate with 
microbes (e.g., mycorrhizae and rhizobia) in the soil that enable them to 
derive nutrients more efficiently.  Other plants associate with microbes 
to enhance their defensive capabilities.  The fungal endophytes of 
grasses, pines, and other plants protect leaves of their hosts through 
the production of alkaloids or other chemicals that deter consumption of 
leaves by herbivores.  Symbiotic associations often function to increase 
enzymatic capabilities of the symbiotic partners.  Through symbiosis 
with cellulose-degrading microbes, ruminants and termites gain access to 
cellulases.  Similarly, through association with mosquito larvae, pitcher 
plants gain access to enzymes necessary to degrade the bodies of 
insects which they entrap.  Symbiosis is a fundamental factor in 
evolution of organisms.  It is generally accepted that endosymbiotic 
events among primitive cells gave rise to early eukaryotes.  The 
"endosymbiotic hypothesis" for the origin of chloroplasts and 
mitochondria is an important concept for understanding evolution 
of living things on earth.  

The proposed newsgroup will enable symbiologists to communicate more 
effectively across barriers of subdisciplines of biology and 
geographical distance.  It will enable us to evolve a common 
vocabulary for describing symbiotic associations.  The absence of a 
clearly defined and widely accepted vocabulary presently plagues research 
in symbiosis.  This newsgroup will enable symbiologists to organize 
meetings, symposia, seminars, etc....  Research in symbiosis will be 
facilitated by enabling researchers to consult a broad cross-section of 
symbiosis researchers about problems or ideas.  

Subscriptions are welcome from all persons interested in symbiosis research.

---

From: David W Tapley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 19:10:40 -0500 (CDT)

Not to be too terribly picky, but it seems that your proposal would be 
strengthened by including at least a mention of the various marine 
symbioses; zooxanthellate symbioses are extremely important in many 
marine environments, particularly coral reefs. (All reef-forming corals 
are zooxanthellate, and if they are deprived of their symbionts their 
ability to lay down calcium carbonate is greatly impaired; hence, one of 
the most productive and diverse environments on the planet depends 
vitally on this symbiosis)  The symbiosis of many marine invertebrates 
with sulfide or methane oxidizing bacteria supports diverse and 
productive ecosystems deep in the oceans; many of these invertebrates are 
endemic to these habitats, and entire higher taxa are found nowhere 
else.  

By the way -- are there any other zoox folks or sulfide people lurking?? 
Or am I the only one...

Dave Tapley
Auburn University