Subject: ideas for labs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 10:04:58 -0600 (CST)

Dear Symbiologists,

	Thanks for the suggestions concerning possible texts for my 
planned course about symbiosis.  I think that the text SYMBIOSIS, AN 
INTRODUCTION TO BIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATIONS by Amadjain and Paracer wil be the 
one most appropriate for the course.  I plan to use some of the others  
as additional readings.  

	I need to devise 8 or 9 two hour labs for the course.  I have a 
few ideas but really could use some input from others about possible lab 
experiments, surveys, or other types of exercises.  

        I want to provide labs that will represent a broad range of 
different types of symbiotic associations.

	I will be very appreciative for any suggestions that you have.
Please post your ideas to the newsgroup since others might find your 
ideas useful.  If you don't want to post your suggestions, send them to 
[email-masked].

Thanks,

Jim White
Dept. Biol.
Auburn University at Montgomery

---

From: Peter Herman x5495 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 20:02:05 -0700 (MST)

> different types of symbiotic associations.

Every time I do Microbial Ecology, I have students collect one monocot 
and one dicot which we then process for VA mycorrhizae.  We always get 
positives for 80-90% of the plants brought in.  It is a good exercise to 
show:

1)	How widely distributed VAM are among plant families
2)	How commonly they occur
3)	How cryptic the association is unless you look for it

We do a very easychemical maceration in the autoclave.  I can dig it out 
and post if you are interested.

*   Peter Herman, Dept. of Biology	Phone: +1 505 646 4532    *
*   New Mexico State University		Fax:   +1 505 646 5665    *
*   Box 30001, Dept. 3AF					  *
*   Las Cruces, NM 88003 USA		e-mail [email-masked]    *