Subject: Dennis Wilson

From: [email-masked] (Dennis)
Date: 3 Jan 1996 09:12:38 -0800

Thanks for all the help I got from my request for nutrient solutions.
The general comments were to use those solutions created by plant
physiologists for use with hydroponics and tissue culture.  My situation
is somewhat different as I'm using soil and a peat moss-perlite mix
so I will have to play with it to get the correct concentrations and
the correct amount to apply at the correct intervals.

I called Miracle-Gro and hinted to see if they would make me a nitrogen
free mix.  They didn't appear too keen.

Any comments on using UREA as a nitrogen source rather than ammonium nitrate
and potasium nitrate which complicate issues like ph and K ion balance?

Cheers Dennis Wilson

---

From: [email-masked] ("K N and P J Harris")
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 18:19:28 GMT

> ==========
> bionet.biology/symbiosis #64, from [email-masked], 1227 
chars, 3 Jan 1996 09:12:38 -0
> ----------
> Article: 70 of bionet.biology.symbiosis
> Path: 
cix.compulink.co.uk!news.compulink.co.uk!btnet!demon!tank.news.pipex.net
!pipex!newsfeed.internetmci.com!newsxfer2.itd.umich.edu!agate!biosci!ASU
VM.INRE.ASU.EDU!IEDXW
> From: [email-masked] (Dennis)
> Newsgroups: bionet.biology.symbiosis
> Subject: Dennis Wilson
> Date: 3 Jan 1996 09:12:38 -0800
> Organization: BIOSCI International Newsgroups for Molecular Biology
> Lines: 14
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Distribution: world
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: net.bio.net
> 
I would be inclined to give urea a miss as it will only turn into 
ammonium (worse still ammonia if the buffering is really low) and you 
will have an added variability in how long the urease takes to to do the 
business. Unless the soil/peat etc is autoclaved and then kept sterile 
there WILL be urease present, problem is how much and how active will it 
be at the pH you are working. Urea ( and other N sources) can be used as 
foliar feeds - is this a way round your growth medium problems ?
Peter Harris,
Reading Uni, UK.