Subject: Lab Ideas

From: George Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 15:21:58 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

It occured to me that the lab I would like to see most would be one where 
the symbiont changes the behavior of the host.  I like the situations 
where a parasite changes the behavior of the secondary host that the host 
is more likely to fall prey to the primary host.  This could be an 
experimental lab where the change in behavior is measured in relation the 
the normal host.  Other examples are the host moving to the end of a 
branch to facilitate spore release.  Another type of example might be a 
decrease in plumage quality in male birds make the male less likely to be 
selected as a mate.  Which you choose depends on what  is available there.

A lab of this nature would take symbiosis out of the sort of biochemical 
exchange of nutrients kind of perspective, to something students could 
relate to more directly.  If a few students are turned on maybe Symbiotic 
Biology will eventually move to be at the core of biology curricula where 
it belongs.

George J. Mueller
Dept. of Botany
Univ. of Washington