Subject: introduction

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 95 12:31:26 EST

Hi, my name is Jim Bier, I am currently a graduate 
student in Keith Clay's lab (although not much longer, I 
hope), and I too work on clavicipitaceous fungal endophytes.  
As an undergraduate, I worked with nitrogen-fixing bacteria. 
In my working years after graduation as a naturalist, I 
became interested in how unseen organisms, especially 
mycorrhizal fungi, benefit their hosts.  Finally, while I 
was looking for gradaute programs, I discovered  grass 
endophytes and decided to work on them.  My graduate work 
examines the effects of symbiont transmission on the nature 
of the relationship,  the population genetics of the 
symbiont populations, and the demographic effects of 
Acremonium and Epichloe fungi on woodland grasses.  However, 
I'm still interested in all varieties of microbial 
interactions, and I look forward to hearing about research 
in all other areas. 

Jim Bier
Department of Biology
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405
812-855-1674
[email-masked]