Subject: As I thought, the CLAM is a joke - Look inside.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 01:30:24 GMT

I looked up this guy's (David Gross) past postings on Dajanews. That's
a search engine/database for looking up old Usenet articles.

Dave has posted MANY "articles" on the clam (about 75 post in the last
two months. Most are on the clam) that make such claims as; Clinton
has it, O.J. has it, and most alien abductees have it (in another
article he claims it was produced in a lab at Area 51, and that Area
51 has NOTHING to do with aliens - but bio warfare instead). He was at
the meeting where the abductees admitted to having it. 

I kept looking though, because I wanted to find so real proof that
this guy was a joker. Such as dave saying, "check this out guys, I'm
going to start an urban rumor. WELL I FOUND IT! 

the first one wasn't on the clam though. It was an earlier trick of
his:

It was the second one that gave it away. On 8/12/1996 in the newsgroup
alt.shenanigans, Dave wrote the following:

	Here's a good group-participation shen; please help this meme
spread.

and then followed it with a bogus article about the clam. A meme is an
urban rumor, so to speak.

It's a good one. I'll bet it takes off anyhow. Soon you'll be seeing
some idiot posting in the personals looking for "any Clam+ women out
there willing to share."

Anyway, here is the first post I found. If you want you can look it up
on Dajanews too.

on 1996/06/25 [email-masked] (dogmas rivals chide) wrote in the
newsgroups  alt.folklore.urban and alt.memetics:

A few years back I wrote parodies of Partnership For A Drug-Free
America propaganda that claimed that when you smoked marijuana, small
fires broke out on the surface of your brain and the smoke remained in
the brainpan where it continued to do damage for the remainder of the
pot smoker's short life; another claimed that LSD users risked
actually having their brains explode -- that no LSD user could tell
whether it would be this dose, or the next dose, but eventually there
would be a last dose.

I posted a few of these around the campus where I was 
attending school at the time.  A few months later, "High Times"
magazine took the LSD flyer . . . published a scathing denunciation of
PDFA tactics.

Dave: Always remember to CYA!

---

From: Rork Kuick <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Aug 1996 18:11:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Brad Templeton, 
[email-masked] writes:

> But so far there aren't any diseases that alter conscious behavior in
order
> to assist their spread, that's still in SF as far as I know.

Perhaps not any infections, but genes.  I have read the suggestion that
Huntington's carriers may have increased fecundity compared to their
non-carrier siblings, though it is suggested that the non-carriers are
simply prudent in not wanting to give their children the gene, and thus
waited longer in an effort to see whether they would have the signs of
being a carrier or not (it has late onset).  The carrier has less
"inhibition".