Subject: Introduction

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 12:53:03 -0500

Hi, my name is Gopi K. Podila, and I am an Asst. Prof of Biochemistry and
Moelcular Biology at Michigan Technological University.  I am a trained
Plant Pathologist/ Biochemist/ Molecular Biologist.  Our research group is
interested in establishing a program in determining the molecular basis of
ectomycorrhizal symbiosis.  We are particularly interested in the
relationships of pine seedlings with ectomycorrhizal fungi such as Laccaria
bicolor and Paxillus involutus.  

We have established the ground work needed for studying the interaction of
pine seedlings with these fungi in a semi-in vitro system as well as a
biolistic particle gun mediated gene transfer system for these fungi. 
Currently we are in process of identifying fungal genes that are
differentially expressed in response to conifer seedling signals at the
very early stage of interaction.  The goal is to identify potential
"symbiosis" related genes from these fungi and characterize their
functional role in symbiosis through "gene replacement" techniques.  

Our long term goals are to unravel the biochemical and molecular basis of
ectomycorrhizal symbiosis phenomenon.   I would be thrilled to hear from
any of you other pro SYMBIOSIS netters on these lines of research.  Peace!

Dr. G.K. Podila
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Michigan Technological University
Houhgton, MI 49931
906-487-3068
Email [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 15:00:43 -0600 (CST)

> Dept. of Biological Sciences

Dear Gopi,

	Several of us studying endophyte-grass symbiosis are interested 
in the type of studies you are making.  I'm not sure how you identify 
genes important in the symbiosis.  Will you be excizing genes and 
observing the effect on the symbiosis?  Will you know what the symbiosis 
genes code for (structural proteins, enzymes, etc...)?  Or will you 
specifically examine genes that effect growth rate, degradative enzyme 
production, or some other logical process?  

Thanks,

Jim White