Subject: SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH/bionet.biology.symbiosis is ready!

From: BIOSCI Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Jun 1995 22:31:16 -0700

The SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH/bionet.biology.symbiosis newsgroup is ready for
operation.  Please save these usage instructions for future
reference!!

If you were already subscribed to the [email-masked] mailing list
and now have access to bionet.biology.symbiosis in your local USENET
news reader, you might want to cancel your mail subscription at
net.bio.net as described further below.  We will give these
subscribers several weeks to cancel their e-mail subscription if they
wish to do so.  Later we will be moving the remaining European
subscribers to the list to our UK site described below.

PLEASE NOTE that many USENET sites do not allow automatic creation of
new USENET groups!!!  If you do not see bionet.biology.symbiosis in your
newsreader within another day or two, ask your news system
administrator to act on our "newgroup" message to enable the group at
your site.  We have already done several tests and are certain that
the group is currently propagating around the network.  If he/she can
not find the newsgroup message, have them retrieve the bionet
checkgroups message from the anonymous FTP area on net.bio.net in
pub/BIOSCI/doc/bionet-checkgroups-msg.  This file contains the latest
list of bionet USENET newsgroups and can be used to update your bionet
distribution.  If the newgroup did not arrive at your site, it may
also be necessary for your news administrator to contact the upstream
computer site providing you with your newsfeed and determine if they
acted on the newgroup message.

Subscribing to this group:
--------------------------

IF YOU USE USENET NEWS: you need do nothing other than participate in
bionet.biology.symbiosis when it appears in your newsreader.  Depending
upon your news software, this may entail you having to answer a prompt
indicating that you want to subscribe.  You might also try the command
"g bionet.biology.symbiosis" in rn-like newsreaders.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN EUROPE, AFRICA, OR CENTRAL ASIA: please send the
word

help

in the body of your message to [email-masked] to retrieve general server
usage instructions.  To subscribe to the SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH list, first
be sure that you are sending mail from the address at which you wish
to receive news postings, and then send
the command

SUB bionet-news.bionet.biology.symbiosis

to [email-masked].  This message will be automatically read by the
computer and your e-mail address will be extracted from the mail
header and added to the list.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE AMERICAS OR THE PACIFIC RIM: log in to the
computer account in which you would like to receive mail (not an
account that you use infrequently) and send a mail message to the
Internet address

[email-masked]

Leave the Subject: line of the message blank and enter the following
line into the body of the mail message:

subscribe symbios

This message will be automatically read by our computer and your
e-mail address will be extracted from the mail header and added to the
list.

Canceling your subscription:
----------------------------

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN EUROPE, AFRICA, OR CENTRAL ASIA: first be sure
that you are sending mail from the address at which you signed up to
receive news postings, and then send the command (in the body of your
mail message)

UNSUB bionet-news.bionet.biology.symbiosis

to [email-masked].  This message will be automatically read by the
computer and your e-mail address will be extracted from the mail
header and removed from the list.

IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN THE AMERICAS OR THE PACIFIC RIM: send a message
to [email-masked] exactly as described above for
subscribing except include the text

unsubscribe symbios

in the body of the message.  Please be sure to send the message from
the account whose address matches the one on the list.  If your
address differs, we will be notified automatically and will remove you
manually from the list if we can determine what was your old address.
Please contact [email-masked] if you have problems.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM:
----------------------

Please send a message to one of the following addresses depending upon
your location

Address                              Location
-------                              --------
[email-masked]               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
[email-masked]              Americas and the Pacific Rim

and someone on the staff will help you.  PLEASE DO NOT send mail to
our personal e-mail addresses as this will delay a response to your
request for help.

How to post a message to the group:
-----------------------------------

If you use news, simply post a message into bionet.biology.symbiosis.  Be
sure to set your "distribution" to "world" or else the message might
not leave your site!!

To post by e-mail, mail your message to one of the following addresses
depending upon your location:

Posting Address                      Location
---------------                      --------
[email-masked]              Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
[email-masked]                  Americas and the Pacific Rim

and your message will be distributed automatically to everyone on the
list and the USENET newsgroup.  There is no editorial intervention.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND SUBSCRIPTION REQUESTS TO THE POSTING ADDRESSES as
you will bother everyone on the newsgroup!!!

How to reply to a message on the group:
---------------------------------------

If you are using a newsreader, simply use the reply or follow-up
command on your newsreader (these vary from program to program) to
send either private or public replies.

If you are using e-mail, replies to messages that you receive will
*NOT* be automatically returned to the group.  This is the standard
for Internet mailing lists as opposed to BITNET LISTSERVs which often
send all replies back to everyone.  You must be certain that your
reply contains either of the two newsgroup posting addresses above in
your message header if you want to share it with everyone on the
group.  Otherwise in most cases your reply may go back to only the
original poster of the message to which you are replying.

ALWAYS be certain that you examine the address on your messages before
you send them!!!  Once a message is sent there is no way to cancel it
or bring it back!!!  Some non-Internet compliant mail systems may
attempt to send replies to our error-trapping address called
BIOSCI-REQUEST.  If yours does this, please be sure to readdress your
message to [email-masked] or [email-masked] if you want
to send it to the newsgroup.

How to look at archives of the list:
------------------------------------

The BIOSCI archives and other BIOSCI information can be found on our
WWW home page at URL http://www.bio.net/.  Easy access from the WWW
home page to our FTP/gopher area is available for information
retrieval.

Archives for SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH/bionet.biology.symbiosis are kept in the
anonymous FTP account at net.bio.net [134.172.2.69].  Look in the
directory pub/BIOSCI/SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH for posting archives.  Each file
is assigned a date such as 9312 for December 1993.  Please note that
ours is a UNIX system and all file and directory names are
case-sensitive, i.e., upper case file names are different from lower
case names. 

You can also access these same files via Gopher if you start a gopher
session using net.bio.net as your gopher server.  Gopher also allows
you to view the individual messages within each monthly archive file.
The files are in the SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH directory.  Postings to
bionet.biology.symbiosis are also WAIS indexed and can be searched via
either gopher or WAIS at our site.  In gopher the option at
net.bio.net is "Search Bionet USENET Articles" and in WAIS one should
use the WAIS source biosci.src.  This is a WAIS index of all
BIOSCI/bionet messages including this newsgroup.  Please see the
BIOSCI FAQ for details.  The FAQ can be requested from
[email-masked].

Once again, if you have any administrative questions that require
personal assistance, please address them to [email-masked] in
the U.S. or [email-masked] in the UK.

Best wishes for a successful newsgroup!

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager

				[email-masked]