Subject: symbiosis newsgroup

From: [email-masked] (Maria Unson)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 09:51:37 -0700

I'd like to second Dave Tapley's point that the newsgroup ought to include
other symbioses (animal/microbial, animal/plant), especially those in the
marine environment.  My own pet interests are in invertebrate/microbial
symbioses (particularly marine sponges which are nearly all hosts to distinct
populations of microbes, including eubacteria and cyanobacteria, some of
which probably are important in providing nutrients and perhaps chemical
defense to the sponge "host").  And as Dave points out there is a whole
realm of sulfide- or methane-based ecosystems in the marine environment,
and of course there are the corals...
(No Dave you aren't the only marine lurker...

My two cents' worth.
Mia Unson
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
U. C. San Diego

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 13:05:55 -0500 (CDT)

> (No Dave you aren't the only marine lurker...

Dear Symbiologists:

	Thanks for the input.  The point is well made that you want the 
proposal to include more examples of different types of symbiosis.  I 
will attempt to expand the proposal some to include more animal and 
marine examples.  I still haven't heard back from Dave Kristofferson at 
Bionet.  However, I have sent him a message indicating that we want to 
expand the proposal.  

Thanks,

Jim White
[email-masked]