Subject: Re: Correlation vs causation: a special problem for symbiologists (fwd)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 10:56:05 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 10:53:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: Peter Herman x5495 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Correlation vs causation: a special problem for symbiologists

Dear Peter,

	Is it possible to try the midge without the Aerobasidium?  I'm 
not sure how one would conduct this experiment but the results might be 
interesting.  Could you treat freshly infected plants with systemic 
fungicide?  The only problem would be seperating fungicide effects from 
absence of Aerobasidium.  How about an artificial medium to rear the 
midges in the laboratory?  Perhaps autoclaved Aerobasidium mycelium (or 
brewers yeast?).  Then inoculate the plants with clean midges.  Maybe you 
tried this already.

Best,

Jim White
[email-masked]