Subject: a symbiosis proteinase

From: [email-masked]
Date: 17 Jun 1995 09:30:29 -0700

Dear Symbiologists,

This is a request for information or ideas.  Jon Lindstrom and Faith 
Belanger at Rutgers have published a paper (Plant Physiol. 1994. 106:7-16) 
documenting the presence of a fungal proteinase produced by an endophyte 
in the grass Poa ampla.  As it turns out this proteinase is produced in 
very high concentration (about 1% of total protein).  It seems certain that 
this protinase is somehow involved in the symbiosis between fungal 
endophyte and grass.

I have discussed the proteinase with Faith Belanger and we have concluded 
that some input from other symbiosis researchers might be helpful.

Does anyone have any ideas about the role of a fungal proteinase in 
symbiotic interactions such as found in grass endophytes?  

Are there other symbiotic associations where symbiosis proteins involve 
proteinases?  (Would you give us a citation or two to get into the 
literature)

We are desperate for information on this and any input will be very 
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jim White
[email-masked]