Subject: Re: Bats...What is their range?

From: [email-masked] (Robert S Wallace)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 21:21:39 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Michael LeCher <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>Does anyone have any woodworking plans for building a bat house?
>
>A repair man at my house saw this hollowed out log (2 ft. diameter, 
>3 inch walls) lying in my wood pile an said it could be used for a bat house.
>
>Any thoughts?????

     Bats have very specific preferences when it comes to then enclosures in
which they roost.  A simple hollowed out log _may_ be selected by bats,
however a  bat house designed with various spacings of boards between whichg
the bats can roost will likely have a better chance of being occupied.

     Contact Bat Conservation International in Austin Texas for plans, or
visit your local library and request "America's Neighborhood Bats" by Dr.
Merlin Tuttle.  There are plans for bat houses therein.

     Good luck.

     Rob Wallace

-- 
Robert S. Wallace
Assistant Professor of Botany                     "In cerevisia veritas est."
Dept. of Botany - Iowa State Univ.
Ames, Iowa 50011-1020             [email-masked]       FAX: 515-294-1337
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_ooo000ooo_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+