Subject: August Apis (fwd)
From: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 92 0:03:06 EDT

Forwarded message:
>From [email-masked]  Wed Sep  2 10:15:32 1992
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Sep 92 09:44:00 EST
From: "SANFORD, TOM" <[email-masked]>
Subject: August Apis
To: "casspe" <[email-masked]>
Cc: distribution:; (see end of body)

FILENAME:  AUGAPIS.92

            Florida Extension Beekeeping Newsletter 
    Apis--Apicultural Information and Issues (ISSN 0889-3764)
                 Volume 10, Number 8, August 1992

           BEEKEEPERS INSTITUTE--CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS

     This year's Beekeepers Institute at 4-H Camp Ocala was by any
measure a success.  Over seventy participants enjoyed presentations
on queen instrumental insemination and certification, mite
detection, honey cookery, basic bee management and the relationship
between allergy and bee stings.  In addition, the ever popular live
bee open-hive demonstrations were well received.  

     Perhaps the highlight of this year's event was a presentation
by Mr. Michael O'Hara, Communications and Education Division
Director, Florida Fruit and Vegetable Association, on crisis
communications.  Using a video camera and sham interviews, Mr.
O'Hara was able to clearly demonstrate the value of this kind of
training, especially with reference to the African honey bee (AHB). 
The highlights of Mr. O'Hara's observations were:

Individual Rights -- No one from the press has the right to violate
your individual rights.  

Honesty -- Never mislead or lie to a reporter.  If the situation is
under litigation, say this is so; if there is a question about
profits, dollars or proprietary information, you can defer/refuse
answering based on not informing competitors in the marketplace.

Buzz Words -- Never repeat an expression or inflammatory statement
made by a reporter.  As an example, if you are asked to what do you
attribute this catastrophe, do not repeat the word "catastrophe." 
It then becomes attributable to you and you alone; you will "own"
it.

Hostility -- Never get angry; keep cool and remember the reporter
always has the last word.

Off the Record --  There is no such thing; if you don't want it
reported, don't say it.

Estimates -- Never make numerical estimates in time or dollars. 
Say that the incident is under investigation and you will provide
accurate information when it becomes available.

Reporter Verification -- Ask for identification, the purpose of a
reporter's activities, media affiliation and telephone number.

Bridging -- Try to bridge the gap between a reporter's wish to be
negative and providing a positive statement about your activity.

Statistics -- If you are not aware of statistics provided by a
reporter, say so and ask for them in writing before commenting.

Deadlines -- All reporters are on deadlines, but you are not.  Take
all the time necessary to avoid hasty comments.  The fact that a
microphone is stuck in your face doesn't mean you have to say
something.  Dead air time is not likely to appear on television.

Finally, it is best to have a communications plan in place and
persons trained in this area.  Defer all questions to one or two
designated (and trained) persons to avoid conflicting information. 
An offensively oriented public relations/communications plan is the
best defense against sensationalistic reporting based on
negativism.  
              FIRE FIGHTERS AND STINGING INCIDENTS

Several of Mr. O'Hara's interviews at the 1992 Beekeepers Institute
indicated that beekeepers and others could/should work with 911
emergency services and/or fire-rescue units as part of their public
relations/communications plan.  According to an article entitled
"Conducting a Honey Bee Emergency Demonstration," in the July 1992
issue of Gleanings in Bee Culture , fire fighters will more than
likely be called in emergency situations with bees.  Unfortunately,
according to an accompanying piece ("Subduing Stinging Insects," by
Eric Erickson and John Estes) in the same issue, "Most fire
departments do not provide their personnel with training or
specialized equipment needed to hand large populations of stinging
insects."

Thus, two scenarios are possible:  (1) a major incident that cannot
be quickly controlled, lives lost, rescue personnel injured and
lawsuits filed or (2) the situation is controlled, no lives lost or 
lawsuits enjoined.  The folks at Gleanings believe the latter is
preferable and suggest that beekeepers take a proactive stance in
contacting their local fire departments.

Recently, I have done just that by sending a letter to both the
City of Gainesville and Alachua County fire chiefs.  The Dean here
at the University suggested I send the same letter to chiefs in the
major cities.  However, there is no way I can send the same
information to all fire departments (volunteer and otherwise)
throughout the state.  So, I am printing an edited version here in
the hope that interested parties might take it upon themselves to
contact their local department:

Dear Chief        :

Enclosed please find an article reprinted from the beekeeping
journal called Gleanings in Bee Culture.  Although there is
expected to be variation in municipal response to the presence of
the bee, it is not too soon to begin planning for the insect's
eventual arrival.  Information from the Rio Grande Valley of Texas
reveals that public knowledge of the presence of African or
Africanized bees (what the press refers to as "killer bees") in an
area results in large numbers of phone calls about stinging
insects.  In most cases, fire departments have been called upon to
react to these "bee calls."  Enclosed is an article describing this
situation in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas ("Valley Resident
Living in the Eye of AHB Swarm," The Speedy Bee, June, 1992).

The enclosed information discusses techniques that will help fire
fighters and others in handling nuisance bees and stinging attacks. 
I hope you will give it widest circulation within the local fire-
rescue community.  It is my understanding that this information
will also appear in national fire-fighting magazines and that a
how-to video is in production.  Recently, Texas public television
aired a program on what the Houston Fire Department is doing to
prepare for the bee's arrival.  The local fire-fighting community
would do well to establish communications with the local beekeeping
community early on as has been done in other areas.

Reproducing the enclosed publication ENY-114, "Information on the
African Honey Bee," published by the University of Florida and
having it on hand for distribution to interested parties would be
a beginning step.  It suggests that beekeepers are expected to be
a defense against African honey bees by keeping manageable colonies
of European bees.  I hasten to add that the African bee is not
expected to be a major health hazard, but public hysteria driven by
sensationalized mass communications could provide an unrealistic
view of the "problems" associated with this insect.  

I am a local beekeeper and have contacts with the local beekeeping
community.  If I can help in any way, please call on me.

                                        Sincerely,

The articles/publications mentioned above are available from me on
request.  You might also sensitize your local county extension
office to these issues by asking them directly for the supporting
materials.  People in that office can then contact me and also mail
out copies of what I send.
                                
                 SATELLITE BEEKEEPING BROADCAST

     A satellite video telecourse scheduled this fall is entitled:
"Beekeeping:  Exploring a Unique Industry."   It will be aired
every Wednesday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., September 2 through
December 9 on Channel 5, Spacenet 1.  Instructors are Dr. James E.
Tew and Mr. David J. Heilman.  The text is The Hive and The Honey
Bee, Dadant & Sons, Inc., Hamilton, IL.  The course has no
pre-requisites and carries academic credit of 2 semester hours or
3 quarter hours.  There is a final written examination.  For
further information, contact The Ohio State University, 1328 Dover
Road, Wooster, Ohio 44691.  Ph. (216) 264-3911, ext. 316 during
work hours or (216) 264-3911, ext. 229 to get an answering machine.

                    MORE ON EXTENDER PATTIES

In response to my inquiries concerning other labels for antibiotic
extender patties, Dick Bonney called me.  He edits Connecticut's
The Aware Beekeeper, and wrote in August, 1991 that directions for
making patties are on the labels of two different formulations of
Terramycin (TM-50D and TM-100D).  According to Dr. Korb Maxwell,
D.V.M., Technical Service Veterinarian, Animal Health Division,
Pfizer Inc., 1107 S. 291 Hwy., Lee's Summit, MO 64081-2998, ph
816/524-5580, fax 816/525-7360, however, only the product TM-100D
has such a label.  This D indicates a sugar-based product and
should not be confused with other products formulated on cellulose
(for example, TM-10 without a D) which bees cannot use.  

Dr. Maxwell sent me the label which calls for first preparing an
intermediate mixture by adding 7 lbs of TM-100D to 200 lbs of
powdered sugar.  The intermediate mixture then contains
approximately 200 mg of oxytetracycline hydrochloride activity per
ounce.  Four (4) ounces of this mixture (800 mg oxytetracycline) is
then mixed with 165 grams of vegetable shortening (Crisco or
equivalent) and 330 grams of sugar.  Dick Bonney's article quotes
a Roy Davis of Pfizer (no address or phone given) who gives a
recipe as follows:  800 mg TM-25 (TSP); 165 grams. shortening; 330
grams powdered sugar.  According to Mr. Bonney, this translates
into 4 level teaspoons of TM-25 (TSP); 3/4 cup shortening; 3 cups
powdered sugar, and yields about one pound of mix which can be made
into 2 or 3 patties 5 to 6 inches in diameter about 5/16 inch
thick.  This feeds one colony the prescribed dosage (replacing 3 to
4 feedings of dust or syrup of 200 mg at 4- to 5-day intervals) of
Terramycin.

Although the dosage appears to be translatable among Pfizer
products, it is Dr. Maxwell's opinion that using TM-25 (TSP) in
making extender patties rather than TM-100D is an "extra label"
(unlawful) use.  Unfortunately, the product comes in 100 pound bags
and is unsuitable for small-scale beekeepers, as one bag will make
an intermediate mixture in excess of 2,800 pounds!  This presumably
is the label that large-scale mixers like Mann Lake Supply can use
in making patties for sale.  The concern about adequately mixing
the materials uniformly as I discussed in last month's APIS is also
not addressed on the label.  

                        TIDBITS ON VARROA

Research on Varroa mites is taking some interesting turns.  Dr.
Roger Morse in the August, 1992 issue of Gleanings in Bee Culture
discusses the fact that bees resistant to Varroa exist.   Beyond
shorter developmental time (as seen in the African bee) and active
grooming (as reported in Apis cerana), there is now evidence that
some Carniolan bees actually mutilate mites by cutting their legs
off, a fatal blow to most arthropods (mites, bees, spiders, etc.). 
Although resistance to Varroa by honey bees exists, Dr. Morse
concludes, getting it to actively work for beekeepers will involve
some hard work.

One reason Varroa is difficult to research is that its development
varies throughout the year.  Dr. Ed Southwick in the January, 1992
American Bee Journal reports that preference for drone brood by
mites increases rapidly as the percentage of drone cells increases,
but will decrease as the drone-rearing season comes to an end.  An
Argentinean study (Apidologie, Vol. 23, 1992) showed that mites
found in worker brood also vary with seasons (more in spring, less
in autumn).

Low level detection of Varroa is possible by examining hive debris
within a few months after infestation according to a study by a
cadre of scientists from Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark. 
(Experimental and Applied Acarology, Vol. 10, 1991).  And in most
cases, sampling of brood was more effective than sampling of live
bees.  Thus, it is reaffirmed, at least in that geographic region,
that monitoring mites as they fall on the bottomboard works for
detecting Varroa at low levels.

Could Varroa control have something to do with the incidence of
chalkbrood?  Dr. Roger Hoopingarner (B-Plus, Summer, 1992)
indicated that Taiwan is confronted with a good deal of chalkbrood
even in the summer (95 degrees F).  He asks if there might be any
explanation.  A newsletter from Argentina (Expreso de Cabana
Apicola MALKA, Summer, 1992) also indicates an outbreak of this
disease in that country as well as in Italy, Spain and Israel.  A
common element among these chalkbrood outbreaks is widespread use
of wooden strips impregnated with fluvalinate, usually Mavrik (R)
or Klartan (R).  Thus, the editor suggests that this practice may
be making colonies more prone to chalkbrood infestation.  If this
is so, the slow release of fluvalinate in the product used in the
U.S. known as Apistan (R) may help in reducing future outbreaks of
this here-to-fore relatively minor disease. 

               SEPTEMBER IS NATIONAL HONEY MONTH 

Don't forget that September has been declared National Honey Month
by the Secretary of Agriculture.  The fall season is usually the
time that honey sales begin to pick up.  Those interested in
pumping up their sales campaigns might look into the National Honey
Board's 1992 press kit which includes feature stories and
photographs that can be used with press contacts.  

In addition to this, the National Honey Board is making available
two brochures featuring the honey bear emblem.  One is called
"Invite Me to Your Next Party!" and contains six recipes for fall
parties as well as other information.  The other, entitled "Honey,
Chances Are You'll Love Me Once You Get to Know Me," is full of
information on honey from ideas for condiments and bread to heating
honey to retard crystallization.  The former is available in lots
of 500 free to associations and Board supporters (they cost $.05
each).  The latter is more expensive ($.50 each), but is printed on
better quality paper and is longer.

The National Honey Board has also released this month its PRIDE
program.  This includes an 8-minute video tape with the same name
and an educational packet to help beekeepers work together in
preserving honey's golden reputation.  The key to the PRIDE program
is using hazard analysis critical control points (HACCP) to improve
quality control.  The procedure is analyzed, and included in the
packet are sample location logs, yard reports and a list of
laboratories offering analytical services to the public.

Finally, the summer, 1992 newsletter from the National Honey Board
indicates reduced reporting requirements are now in effect for
"low-volume" producer-packers.  Those first handlers of less than
20,000 pounds of their own production can now report twice a year
instead of monthly.  This is not automatic, however, and interested
producer-packers must apply to the Board to determine eligibility. 
For further information on this, the PRIDE program, brochures and 
the press kit mentioned above, contact Sherry Jennings, The
National Honey Board, 421 21st Ave. #203, Longmont, CO 80501-1421,
ph 303/776-2337, FAX 303/776-1177.

Sincerely,     

Malcolm T. Sanford 
0740 IFAS, Bldg 970
University of Florida 
Gainesville, FL 32611-0740 
Phone (904) 392-1801, Ext. 143 
FAX: 904-392-0190 
BITNET Address: MTS@IFASGNV 
INTERNET Address: [email-masked] 

%%% overflow headers %%%
Cc: "PATRICIA.A.CROSSETT" <[email-masked]>,
        "GMH" <[email-masked]>, "BURGETTM" <[email-masked]>,
        "TEW.1" <[email-masked]>, "SCOTTC" <[email-masked]>,
        "sanet-mg" <[email-masked]>,
        "LOMBARDI" <[email-masked]>,
        "INSSOC" <[email-masked]>,
        "HSHIMANUKI" <[email-masked]>,
        "SMITH" <[email-masked]>, "BILLM" <[email-masked]>,
        "MUNNPA" <[email-masked]>, "SIMON" <[email-masked]>,
        "ECONET" <[email-masked]>, "BI_JJB" <[email-masked]>,
        "CYSPENG" <[email-masked]>, "ECMUSSEN" <[email-masked]>
%%% end overflow headers %%%