Subject: June APIS

From: "SANFORD, TOM" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 93 15:49:00 EST

FILENAME:  JUNAPIS.93

            Florida Extension Beekeeping Newsletter 
    Apis--Apicultural Information and Issues (ISSN 0889-3764)
                 Volume 11, Number 6, June 1993
                                
             NEW FLORIDA RESEARCH--WHY HYBRIDS FAIL?

     Anyone who has had experience with scientific research knows
that results come slowly, only after a great deal of thought and
work.  Once the evidence is in, however, the patience and expense
needed to gather it are often justified.  This is certainly true at
the University of Florida where research is revealing why hybrids
in the tropics are more than likely to fail.

     I last reported on Dr. Glenn Hall's studies analyzing honey
bee DNA here at the University in the February 1990 issue of this
newsletter.  At that time, I said a controversy existed concerning
the amount of hybridization occurring in the American tropics
between the African and European honey bee, and Dr. Hall's studies
indicated much less was happening than had been predicted because
African bees were spreading as a result of swarming, not by African
drones mating with European queens.   

     As I also said at that time, "...breeding programs in the
tropics relying on European drones to 'dilute' African traits will
not have much effect because (1) there are so few European queens
to mate with, and (2) the African mother lines are continuing to
produce numbers of African drones.  Hybridization between European
and African bees, therefore, is asymmetrical in  the tropics,
favoring African bees.  This has been observed in all places so 
far colonized by African bees in the Americas."

     The question as to why the few hybrids created in the tropics
did not seem to persist captivated Dr. Hall.  Thus, he teamed up
with Arizona State University's Jon F. Harrison, an insect
physiologist.  Together they have provided the first solid data to
show the African-European hybrids are at a disadvantage in their
struggle for survival with the pure African variety.  They measured
the in-flight carbon dioxide output of 15 colonies of hybrids that
Dr. Hall had established in Honduras with colleagues at the Escuela
Agricola Panamericana. They also tested the African and European
parent colonies for comparison.

     The results show that African bees are "souped up"; they have
higher metabolic capacities than European bees as predicted and
observed.  However, the hybrids' energy-producing capacities were
not intermediate, as originally thought, but only equivalent to or
lower than those of Europeans.  The hybrids' lower metabolic rate
may result in inferior flight performance or in other ways make
them less adaptive in the tropics.  Certain enzymes in the
mitochondria, where the oxygen is used and energy produced, require
mitochondrial genes that come just from the mother, as well as
nuclear genes that come from both the mother and the father. 
Because African and European bees have been separated for many
thousands of years, the components of these enzymes may not be
perfectly compatible.

     Drs. Hall and Harrison's evidence appears in the May 20th
issue of the international journal, Nature, the same publication
that published Dr. Hall's original findings on the spreading of
African bees by swarming.  This information further confirms the
prediction and subsequent observations that two distinct
populations of bees exist in areas being colonized by African bees. 
The population of European managed bees is constantly under threat
of being Africanized by the another consisting of many wild African
colonies.  Because the African mother lines are intact, however,
the reverse is not true; very few European queens manage to produce
drones which will hybridize with African queens.  In addition, this
new information suggests that whatever hybrids are produced in the
wild are at an extreme disadvantage and their survival is
questionable.   

     From a practical standpoint this means that to continue
managing European stock in tropical areas, beekeepers must
consistently requeen with European queens which must come from
outside the area under siege by African bees.  To keep things in
perspective, however, Dr. Hall suggests that some hybrids which are
managed properly by beekeepers may actually be superior producers
in certain situations.  This may be analagous to the current
situation where those investigating mite resistance in various
strains of bees suggest that some tradeoff may be necessary to keep
a balance, in effect substituting superior honey production for
less vulnerability to parasitic mites.  

                         ON SUPERSEDURE

     Many readers of this publication are aware of the video series
I did some time back (1977) on beekeeping.  It was six half-hour
programs produced at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education,
and was shown numerous times on Georgia Public Television.  That
series is history.  Another has been produced by the new kid on the
block, Dr. Keith Delaplane, now extension apiculturist at the
University of Georgia.

     I view this "takeover" with mixed emotions.  Nobody likes to
be superseded; I can empathize with many of those mature queens in
beekeepers' colonies, suddenly replaced by vigorous, young, egg-
laying machines.  On the other hand, I was getting tired of seeing
all my foibles preserved for eternity on television, including
random repeats of catch phrases as I tried to think real time while
on camera (editing was nonexistent then) and the failure to
successfully light a smoker on the director's command.  In
addition, the series was dated by introduction of tracheal and
Varroa bee mites into the U.S. in the 1980s, which now present
large challenges to the modern beekeeper.  So it will be good for
all to see a fresh face, get new information and reflect on a
different point of view about beekeeping.  The folks in Georgia
should be commended for supporting the craft of beekeeping with two
large-scale video productions in the past two decades.

     The new series, "HONEY BEES AND BEEKEEPING:  A Year in the
Life of an Apiary," is currently running on Georgia Public
Television.  After its debut, it will be offered to other public
television stations through SECA (Southern Educational
Communications Association).  Those interested in viewing it should
get in touch with their local PBS station.  A set of the videotapes
for the eight programs will be available in July for the modest
price of $59.95.

     In addition to the video series, Dr. Delaplane has also
authored a companion book with the same name.  It is designed to
accompany the programs, but also stands alone as an excellent
reference for the beginning beekeeper.  Some twelve chapters
encompassing 138 pages with a large number of black and white
photographs cover everything from why Dr. Delaplane is an
apiculturist to his ten commandments of beekeeping.   It costs
$12.50.  To order and for more information on the book or series,
contact Bees, Georgia Center for Continuing Education, University
of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602.                                     
  
                   OPPORTUNITY FROM ADVERSITY

     The folks in Hidalgo are capitalizing Texas style on the fact
that African bees were first found in their town.  The Houston
Chronicle on April 11, 1993 ran the headline: "Killer Bee  Capital
of the World--Too bee or not to bee?"  The story continues: "It's
big.  It's yellow and black.  It's even anatomically correct. It's
a $18,500, fiberglass-and-steel statue of a killer bee, and it's
Hidalgo's shot at luring tourist swarms."
  
   The article continues: "We need to put Hidalgo on the map, said
Mayor John David Franz, an attorney.  Then, why not a killer bee? 
The statue was built by the FAST Corporation of Sparta, WI, which
makes landmark and theme-park animals.  FAST President Jerry
Vettrus said the killer bee is a one-of-a-kind creation.  Vettrus'
compulsion for perfection drove him to ensure the big bee was an
exact replica of the real thing.  In the name of anatomical
correctness, bee fans will note the big back feet face backward --
as they should."  
     
     After visiting Hidalgo in March, I can attest to the reality
of this giant bee, standing taller than a person and some twenty
feet in length!  It is definitely a honey bee with four wings and
extremely realistic compound eyes and antennae.  However, its feet
sport cloven hoofs, more in keeping with the ungulate population
Texas is known for, than insects.

     And what about the name?  The article concludes:  "Some
thought Hidalgo's claim as 'killer bee' capital would  scare away
the town's winter Texans, or drivers of the 25,000 vehicles that
pass through daily on their way into Mexico.  But Joe Vera III,
Chamber of Commerce president, refused to buzz off.  It was
'killer' or nothing.  'Can you imagine trying to read a billboard
advertising the World's Largest Africanized honeybee?' It may be
working.  The big bee made Paul Harvey's radio show.  Its bug-eyed
presence upstaged accordionist Myron Floren of The Lawrence Welk
Show and country music heartthrob Johnny Rodriguez at a recent
local festival.  Not a day goes by when someone doesn't stop by to
snap the bee's picture."    

               VIDEO ENHANCED BEEKEEPERS INSTITUTE

     We are planning something different this year at the
Beekeepers Institute at 4-H Camp Ocala.  There will be more
structured time and the program starts earlier than usual with a
demonstration of tracheal mite dissection by Scott Yocom at 3:30
p.m., Friday, August 13.  On the heels of this event, the informal
fair will be replaced by a full-blown demonstration of instrumental
insemination.  Both of these demonstrations will be video enhanced,
projected by video so that more people can see the procedures as
they take place.  Saturday's open hive demonstrations and evening
events will emphasize queen rearing and breeding.

     The publicity brochure which contains the program and specific
information about registration procedure and costs will be mailed
by late June.  If you don't receive it by late July, please contact
me for details.  Late registration cut off is August 10.  The fees
remain the same ($85.00 per person includes room and board) except
the one-day registration has been raised to $40.00.  Finally, we
are experimenting with some optional programming for children
during the formal presentations, Saturday from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. 
Two choices are swimming and canoeing ($10.00 per hour per child,
$40.00 minimum) and environmental education classes at $20.00 per
child.  We are asking for a good deal lead time on these to plan
and advance registration payment.  Should these activities not be
held because of lack of attendance, fees will be refunded. 

                           EAS AND WAS

     The Eastern Apicultural Society (EAS) will meet at the
University of Maine in Orno, August 2-6, 1993.  EAS this year
features a full-fledged beekeeping short course as well as
traditional activities including the Master Beekeeper Program and
honey show.  Those interested in registering can contact me for a
form or Tony Jadczak, State Apiarist, Maine Department of
Agriculture Division of Plant Industry, Sta#28, Augusta, ME 04333,
ph 207/287-3891.

     The WAS, Western Apicultural Society will meet August 16-20,
at Simon Frazier University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. 
This year's event features a half-day of field oriented workshops,
a salmon barbecue and what has been billed as "bee olympics/dances
with bees (bee beards)."  There is a very early registration
cutoff, June 30.  For more information contact Conference Services,
Halpern Centre, Simon Frazier University, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A
1S6, ph 604/2914910, fax 604/291-3420.

                        URBAN POLLINATION

     Realization that there is a lack of feral honey bees and thus,
a marginal pollination potential in many urban areas because of
Varroa mite predation, one Florida County Cooperative Extension
office is working on a regional basis to remedy the situation.  It
soon will send out information to news outlets (Duval, Nassau, St.
Johns, Putnam, and Clay counties) concerning an educational event
to encourage bee-tending for pollination as opposed to beekeeping
for honey production.  If you are interested in this approach,
please contact Mr. Raymond Zerba, Clay County Extension, P.O. Box
278, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-0178, ph 904/284-6355.

                           DOWN UNDER

     Two of the most progressive apicultural industries in the
world are down under in New Zealand and Australia.  So it is that
Dr. Jim Tew, Extension Apiculturist, The Ohio State University is
leading a tour of beekeepers this fall to the region, sponsored by
the Citizen Ambassador Program.  The proposed dates are October 22
through November 5.  Estimated cost is $4650 which includes
transportation, accommodations and most meals.  For further
information, contact Mr. D. Michael Rennaker, Director,
Agricultural Projects, Citizen Ambassador Program, Dwight D.
Eisenhower Bldg., Spokane, WA 99202, ph 509/534-0430.  The last
trip in this series was to China.  Its success has led to the
current proposal.

                        THUMBNAIL SKETCH

     Here's a thumbnail sketch of the beekeeping industry in the
United States provided by the American Beekeeping Federation.  It
was published by Dr. Jim Tew in the News Digest of the Ohio State
Beekeepers Association, Spring 1993.

General Statistics:

*    125,000 beekeepers--located in every state
*    3.03 million colonies--operated by owners of five or more
     colonies
*    Typical commercial operation--1500-2500 colonies
*    About 600 beekeepers operate 1,000 or more colonies each; as
     a group these produce 75% of the U.S. honey crop
*    Farm value of honey crop--$125 million
*    U.S. honey consumption--1.1 pounds
*    Employment--2,400 full time and 6,100 part time employees
*    Added value (pollination) to 40 U.S. crops--$9.7 billion (1985
     value)
  
Sources of Revenue:
                                
*    Honey production--$125 million
*    Pollination rentals--$46 million
*    Queens and packages--$27 million
*    Hive products--$5 million

Sincerely,

Malcolm T. Sanford 
Bldg 970, Box 110620
University of Florida 
Gainesville, FL 32611-0620 
Phone (904) 392-1801, Ext. 143 
FAX: 904-392-0190 
BITNET Address: MTS@IFASGNV 
INTERNET Address: [email-masked]