Subject: Re: Getting rid of bees

From: dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 95 22:56:19 GMT

Try contacting the local beekeeping association if there is one as they will
often have members who are willing to come and remove the bees from you for
free in order to (re)populate a hive. This is the way I ended up getting my 
first swarm (which was healthy).

Swarms can cost as much as 100 ukp in the UK but these are kept (allegedly) in
hygenic conditions and monitored for sickness before being sold on later so 
don't get greedy and imagine that anybody will PAY to remove your swarm!

Good luck.
-- 
Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Roe)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 16:54:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> William Mielke <[email-masked]> writes:
>I've got a problem that's getting worse lately bees ( I live in 
>Vancouver Canada ) and never run across so many.  I originally 
>found a nest ( at the foundation of a building add-on ) ...
>Is there some way to get the bees to move on or a 
>pesticide to use ( that can be bought in Canada ) that can rid me 
>of the problem before they get fully re-established.             

Are these honeybees or bumblebees?

In the former case, on a warm afternoon, I'd expect at least several
hundred bees to be flying around the entrance _at the same time_.
However, if they're bumblebees (large striped _furry_ bees), you should
rarely see more than one or two simultaneously.  Depending on which, I'd
answer your question completely differently.

-- 
Malcolm Roe                                Phone  :  +44 1442 345104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd                  Fax    :  +44 1442 343000
Hemel Hempstead, Herts. HP2 7RH, UK        E-mail :  [email-masked] 
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (David J Trickett)
Date: 11 Jul 1995 02:52:43 GMT

dave ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Try contacting the local beekeeping association if there is one as they will
: often have members who are willing to come and remove the bees from you for
: free in order to (re)populate a hive. This is the way I ended up getting my 
: first swarm (which was healthy).

Just be sure that they define the perimeter of the colony and remove the 
brood comb.  If they open it up from the inside, have them screen-off the 
interior opening.  Do not have them caulk up the outside entrance until 
the remains of the hive have been robbed out (about 6 days or so).  Then, 
make sure the repairers fill the cavity with fiberglass or some other 
insulation and also caulk up the exterior entrance.  Also, look for other 
openiongs in the structure (around eaves, etc.) and caulk those too.  
Spraying the exterior entrance just causes them to move around and find 
another entrance - perhaps through the living room light fixtures!

Dave

If this is unclear or you have questions, e-mail me or contact Anthony M. 
Buzas, Commercial Beekeepers at 215 483-4165.  (Ask for Tony)

---

From: William Mielke <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jul 1995 06:53:15 GMT

Thanks very much for the suggestions I got via email everyone, it 
appears we now have got the problem under control.               
Bill Mielke      

-- 
Bill Mielke