Subject: Varroa - detection NOT treatment

From: Richard Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jul 1995 18:05:03 GMT

Is there a sure-fire way to detect mites without resorting to stuff like
Bayvarol or uncapping/examining brood? I know someone who keeps bees but is
anti the above methods. Regular concerted treatment is being advised, but will
probably not be accepted in this case. Treatment on detection may.

Richard.
~~~~~~~~

---

From: [email-masked] (Gordon Scott)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 95 16:01:57 GMT

> probably not be accepted in this case. Treatment on detection may.

I use a mesh screen false floor under the brood nest and  over  the  old
(reversed) wooden floor.  Dying mites drop off of the bees and land on a
paper insert under the screen where the bees can't throw them  out  with
the  rubbish.   The natural mortality of mites is _much_ lower than with
Bayvarol but does give a clue to the level of  infestation.   Be  warned
that  natural  mortality rates in the UK seem unusual at present.  Early
figures in Germany (I can't find the reference)  suggested  that  a  few
tens of mites per day indicated imminent colony collapse.  At present in
the UK, mortality rates  can  be  several  *hundreds*  per  day  without
collapse. IBRA have a Varroa information pack -- [email-masked]

Talc, icing  sugar  or  lactic  acid  all  give  a  *relatively*  benign
knockdown -- more info mailed direct.

There are a couple of downsides to 'varroa floors'.  The bees  sometimes
extend  the  bottom  of  the  comb down to the mesh.  Below the mesh can
become a wax moth factory.

Regards,
-- 
Gordon Scott	[email-masked]		100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter	[email-masked]	ditto
		Beekeeper, Kendo Sandan, sometime sailor.
		Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG22 5HP, UK