Subject: Preparing hives for the winter

From: [email-masked] (Mark Culotta)
Date: 04 Oct 1995 19:24:23 GMT

Hello, 

This is my second year keeping bees.  The first, I had a single hive
which didn't survive the winter.  I checked carefully for varroa and
AFB and didn't find either.  Since I really didn't prepare the hive in
any way, I'm guessing this is where things wnet wrong.

This year, I have two hives.  The first is much larger and more
vigorous than last year's hive and I expect it should survive just
fine.  The second is not as strong as I got the bees later in the
spring, but is likewise in better shape than last year's hive.

What, if anything,  should I do to the hives/bees to ensure survival?

Thanks,
Mark Culotta

---

From: Ted Fischer <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Oct 1995 14:55:06 GMT

>What, if anything,  should I do to the hives/bees to ensure survival?
Several of things are necessary, in my opinion:
1) Kill varroa! Assume the mites are there, and put a couple of Apistan 
strips near the center of the cluster.  The bees will likely die 
otherwise.
2) Prevent foulbrood.  Put about 4 oz of Terrapatty, or the equivalent, 
in two or three sites between the 2 hive bodies.
3) Give ample honey stores or feed.  I usually use about 75+ pounds of 
honey, then carefully check during the winter to make sure they aren't 
running out.  If the hives are getting light, I feed with candy boards 
on top of the hive bodies.
4) Ensure a good population of bees.  If the colony seems weak, it is 
better to unite two than try wintering a small number of bees.
5) Give adequate ventilation to the hive.  The bees will metabolize 
honey and consequently produce moisture, which will condense.  I would 
raise the outer cover just a crack, or drill a hole in the front of the 
hive bodies (especially the upper one) just below the front hand hold.