Subject: Hot Weather Emergencies

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 15:05:00 GMT

*To all US Beekeepers*
 You all warm enough?

 We do get hot weather here in California and having been down by
the heat myself and knowing how long it can take to get over it I
thought many of you would like to read this FAQ on survival in the
heat. It is not something to mess with, if you get heat stroke you
can injure your health and recovery is very slow. It is also hard
on the bee's and they can melt down. Water is the key to saving
yourself and the bee's. Drink lot's of it, and make sure your bee's
are close to a good supply.
                                ttul Andy-

Subject: Hot Weather Emergencies

EmergencyNet News Service
Emergency Response & Research Institute
6348 N. Milwaukee, Suite 312, Chicago, IL 60646

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 1430CDT
Contact: Steve Macko, Managing Editor
Phone:  (312) 631-ERRI (3774)
FAX:    (312) 631-4703

Caution Urged During Heat Wave

Chicago, IL, July 13,1995 -- With the temperatures and humidity
at dangerous levels, the air quality diminishing, and no end in
sight in some parts of the country, the Emergency Response &
Research Institute (ERRI) is urging extreme caution for persons with
cardiac and respiratory problems.  According to Clark Staten,
director of the Chicago-based emergency service think-tank, the
recent heat wave has already resulted in the untimely deaths of
several people in the Midwest and Southwestern part of the United
States and more heat injuries or even deaths can be expected.

"The conditions are ideal for heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and
even heat stroke", the veteran (retired) paramedic said in an interview
today.  "This is the kind of weather that is dangerous to the
elderly, children, and those that have diseases that prevent
them from regulating heat well", he continued.  "People with
cardiac, respiratory, diabetic, asthmatic, and seizure problems
should be warned to use extreme caution when exposed to this
type of hot weather...it can aggravate their condition and even
result in death", Staten added.  "We would suggest that people
with these conditions remain indoors in the air conditioning or
even (if necessary) move to 'cooling centers' that have been
established by many municipalities", he continued.  "Even those
that don't have a pre-existing medical condition can easily be
affected by this type of heat and high humidity...they should
take some simple precautions to prevent the onset of heat injuries",
Staten concluded.

According to ERRI, during the heat wave, people should:

(1) Wear light colored clothing that will reflect the heat

(2) Drink plenty of water or special electrolyte replacing
fluids like "Gatorade", "Sports Drink" or other
commercial products

(3) Avoid alcoholic and caffeinated beverages, which tend to
dehydrate you...rather than rehydrate you...which is
needed.

(4) If possible, avoid strenuous physical activity while
outdoors...as this causes sweating and hastens fluid
loss

(5) Persons with known cardiac and respiratory conditions should
remain indoors, in air conditioning, or move to cooler
areas

(6) Particularly the elderly and children should limit their
exposure to high heat and humidity, as they are the
most susceptible to its effects

(7) Do not take salt tablets unless advised by a physician

Staten also listed some of the signs and symptoms, of heat
injuries, that can strike people during a heat wave. In order of
seriousness, they include:

Heat Cramps - Muscle pains caused by a build-up of acid
compounds and an excessive loss of fluids in
large muscles

Signs & Symptoms - Cramps in legs or stomach area

TREATMENT: # Remove the patient to a cooler environment

           # Rest the cramping muscles, sit or lie down

           # Replace fluids by mouth, use cool water or
             commercial electrolyte solutions

           # If the cramps do not subside, the patient should be
           taken to medical care

Heat Exhaustion - Often called heat prostration or heat
collapse, is a serious heat illness. It
occurs when the body loses large amounts
of water and electrolytes

Signs & Symptoms - Cool, clammy(sweaty)skin, dizziness,feeling
faint, nausea, vomiting, rapid pulse,
feels weak or "bad"

TREATMENT:
           # Move the patient to a cooler environment

           # Loosen tight or restrictive clothing or remove

             excessive layers of clothing

           # If the patient is conscious, give up to a liter of
           cool water or commercial electrolyte replacing
           fluids. Do not give fluids by mouth to a
           patient who can't hold the cup themselves.
           Never force fluids on a patient who is not
           alert, they could choke and aspirate the
           fluids.

           # In most cases, the patient ill recover on his/her
           own after fluid replacement and exposure to
           cooler temperatures. If not, or if a
           diminishing of his/her level of
           consciousness occurs, 911 must be called and
           EMT/Paramedics will start an intravenous line
           (I.V.) and replace fluids internally.

           # Unconsciousness, or a decreasing level thereof is
           reason enough to call 911.  Always err on the
           side of safety and care for the patient in
           question.

Heat Stroke - Heat stroke is a true medical emergency! It occurs
              when a patient that has suffered heat
              exhaustion does not receive treatment and
              is continually exposed to additional
              heat. Typical examples of heat stroke
              victims include elderly people who live in
              buildings without fans or air conditioning
              during heat waves, and children that are left in
              locked cars on a hot days.  Humidity seems to
              contribute to the likelihood of both heat
              exhaustion and heat stroke.

Signs & Symptoms: Hot & dry skin, lack of perspiration,
                  excessive body temperature, lessening
                  consciousness or total unconsciousness,
                  strong rapid pulse diminishing and weaker as
                  becomes unresponsive, imminent death if left untreated

TREATMENT:
           # Call 911; request Emergency Medical Services (EMS)

           # Immediately and rapidly move the patient to a
           cooler environment; preferably air conditioning

           # Remove the patient's clothing and cover him/her

(Continued to next message)