Subject: Arizona www page

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:56:00 GMT

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 21:00:26 -0800
     _________________________________________________________________

                       AFRICANIZED HONEY BEES IN ARIZONA

     _________________________________________________________________

   NEW!! Homeowner's Guide to Safe Honey Bee Swarm Control Video
   available...
     _________________________________________________________________

   Bee experts believe that the Africanized honey bee is here to stay.
   Studies show that as the regular honey bees and the Africanized bees
   interbreed, the Africanized strain appears to be dominant. So, the
   movement of Africanized honey bees into Arizona con stitutes a
   permanent change in our state's environment. As a result, all of
   Arizona's citizens and visitors will need to permanently change their
   view of honey bees.

   Africanized honey bees are a more temperamental relative of the common
   garden honey bee, which is known as the European honey bee (EHB).
   Honey bees, whether they are European or African, only sting
   defensively. They do not go out of their way to sting. B ut some AHB
   colonies defend their colonies more intensively and with less
   provocation than other bees.

    [LINK] "Which is which?" [LINK]

   (click on image to expand)
   Scientists at the USDA Carl Hayden Bee Research Center in Tucson
   anticipate that the Africanized honey bee (AHB) will continue to
   colonize the lower regions of Arizona and the United States. So, we
   are now dealing with a different sort of honey bee that w ill remain
   different. And just as we Arizonan's have learned to walk in the
   desert - ever mindful of jumping cholla or rattlesnakes or scorpions -
   we must now display that kind of caution with respect to bees.

   This article will introduce you to the AHB and discuss the following
   five main topics concerning honey bees:

     * 1. Why the Africanized honey bee is different from any other
       domestic honey bee.
     * 3. What safety precautions must now be routinely followed to avoid
       a stinging incident.
     * 4. How to bee proof your property.
     * 5. What you must do if you inadvertently agitate and/or encounter
       an angry AHB hive or swarm.

   (IMAGE)

   Education plays a critical role in reducing the threat of the AHB to
   the health and safety of the public. People can coexist with
   Africanized honey bees by learning about the bee and its habits,
   taking a few precautions, and by supporting managed beekeep ing
   efforts.

   The University of Arizona Entomology Department and Cooperative
   Extension, in cooperation with Carl Hayden Bee Research Center, have
   undertaken coordination of Arizona's AHB educational activities as a
   project of the Integrated Pest Management Program. T he statewide
   efforts focus exclusively on the development and dissemination of AHB
   educational materials to educators and volunteer presenters throughout
   Arizona.

   The Arizona AHB Education Project has developed an AHB Education Kit
   consisting of a comprehensive training manual, a script and 37-slide
   presentation, sample bees in resin, a plastic honeycomb, eight 4-color
   laminated display posters, and a safety video entitled "What Arizonans
   Need to Know About Africanized Honey Bees." All items are contained in
   a silk-screened heavy-duty tote bag. Cost of the kit is $80, which
   includes shipping and handling.

   For more information about the Arizona AHB Education Project, or to
   order an AHB Education Kit, contact : Janet Mitchell, program
   coordinator, 2000 E. Allen Rd., Tucson, AZ 85719. Phone: (602)
   670-6380 ext. 113. Fax: (602) 670-6493.

     _________________________________________________________________

   GEARS is maintained by USDA/ARS. This server reports the results of
   research only. Mention of a proprietary product does not constitute an
   endorsement or recommendation for its use by USDA.
---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ Ich ben en Bienenzuechter