Subject: Honey Search

From: [email-masked] (Les Simms)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 01:16:24 GMT

To any beekeepers living in Belguim,

I tasted a jar of honey from the Nazereth Eak area. I believe it to be
Lime.

Can anyone please confirm that this is a likely flora source in the
area and give me any more relevant information.

Les Simms

---

From: [email-masked] (Hugo Thone)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 15:09:22 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Les Simms) writes:
To any beekeepers living in Belguim,

>area and give me any more relevant information.

If Lime is a Lemon tree (Citrus aurantifolia:  a spiny tropical citrus tree 
with elliptic oblong narrowly winged leaves and small globose greenish yellow 
fruit with an acid juicy pulp used as a flavoring agent and as a source of 
ascorbic acid .... pft ;-]), you are definitely wrong.

If you mean Lime-tree (genus Tilia-family Tiliaceae,/in dutch "linde"), then
you are right : it is the main nectar flow in our area during summer.
You find many lime-trees in all parks and suburban lanes and streets.
The lime-tree blooms here from the first week of june un-tilia ;-) the end 
of july. On hot days you can smell the nectar from afar and many many bees
are collecting nectar on it.
Some species give a nectar that poisons insects : you often find a lot of
dead bumble bees under these trees.

Hugo

+++++

Hugo Thone (SE144)			email : [email-masked]
ALCATEL BELL TELEPHONE	    (\		phone : (32) 3 240 94 52
F.Wellesplein 1		   {|||8-	fax   : (32) 3 240 99 50
B-2018 Antwerp		    (/

		    do bee do bee do ....

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Amschel)
Date: 27 Jan 1996 16:57:08 GMT

>are collecting nectar on it.

We have lots of orange groves here in Hemet, California, and when the trees 
are in bloom the marvellous fragrance floats far and wide in the valley. The 
obvious point never occurred to me, until you mentioned it, that it is the 
nectar of the orange blossoms that is giving off that fragrance. Merci 
beaucoup.