Subject: Re: Hive losing the battle

From: Ted Fischer <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Oct 1995 16:55:10 GMT

In article: <[email-masked]>  
>[email-masked] (David M. Stamper) writes:
>> 
>> Over the past month my single hive has gone from a very strong population to 
>> almost nothing. 
>> I knew I had varroa, but didn't think it was very bad, since I had a clean 
>> inspection in July, 
>> Throughout this time I had noticed yellow jackets around the hive and 
>> sometimes in the hive when I opened it up.  I didn't think much about it, 
>> figuring the bees could take care of themselves.
>> I saw yellow jackets carrying off large numbers of 
>> brood, with the bees apparently not doing anything about it. 
>> Three days later I checked on the hive, and yellow jackets were coming and 
>> going at their leisure.  Nearly all of my brood was gone and 70% of my adult 
>> population was gone compared to what it was 3 weeks earlier. The last >>time I checked them, about a week ago, they were really 
>> hurting.  The new brood had been raided out.
>> I haven't been to the apiary since them, and I fully expect that my bees will 
>> have either been wiped out or would have absconded.
>> Dave out

Since misery loves company, I have a similar story to report, except that my hives stayed upright.   This is a typical varroa attack, in my opinion, as my hives also experienced a similar rapid population collapse, dead brood, and marauding yellow jackets and hornets.  Some of my friends felt that the large yellow jacket populations this year were responsible for the destruction, but in my few healthy hives there is no sign at all that yellow jackets can gain entrance.  I think that they are opportunistic, taking advantage of a weakened hive as would wax moths (which also have entered my varroa hives, even with a few bees left).  I was amazed at how quickly the strong hives of summer were reduced to a shambles!  This varroa mite is a pest without equal.

---

From: [email-masked] (David M. Stamper)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 03:03:26 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Doug Inkley <[email-masked]> writes:
>Path: magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!math.ohio-state.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!swrinde!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!lll-winken.llnl.gov!enews.sgi.com!news.igc.apc.org!cdp!dinkley
>From: Doug Inkley <[email-masked]>
>Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping
>Subject: Re: Hive losing the battle
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>References: <[email-masked]>
>Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 07:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
>X-Gateway: [email-masked]
>Lines: 1

>What's the status of the queen?  Could be an issue here.

This whole hive was new from a package in May.  New queen, new hive, new 
frames.  New beekeeper.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (David M. Stamper)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 03:07:59 GMT

> Dr David A Gladstone <[email-masked]> writes:

>We didn't think we had it either but lo and behold the spring floor scrapings 
>revealed the nasty little beggars - we have been vigilent and currently have the 
>bayverol strips in for the six week treament - the bees are still flying in the mild 
>autumn and we got 110 lbs this year - I understand that varroa has usually been 
>present for a couple or years or so before it's detected.

I don't know enough about what is typical, but this was my first hive, started 
>from  a package in May.  I can guess that the varroa came from a wild swarm I 
caught for the lady who lets me keep my hive on her property who lost her own 
bees to foulbrood the previous year.  I treated that swarm about 10 days after 
hiving it.  Probably enough time to pass the mites to my bees.  Too bad they 
can't "beam" the Apistan to you when you need it.

Dave out

---

From: [email-masked] (BusyKnight)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 15:18:17 GMT

>Too bad they can't "beam" the Apistan to you when you need it.

Dave,   .... in time!

{But then, would you just want the honey "beamed" to you instead
 of KEEPING bees?}

---

From: Mark Egloff <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Oct 1995 13:41:43 GMT

Your story mirrored the story of my hives last year.  At the end of August 1994
I had 6 strong hives moving purposefully toward winter.  By the end of 
September, I had one left that was just on the edge and didn't make it through
the winter.  Don't feel bad.  I have spent the last 4 years losing hives to the 
winter and my own lack of experience.
This year I said "no way".  I ordered packages in January for delivery in
April.  On Apr 6 I installed them, inserted Apistran, Terrapatties, Syrup with
Fumidile and Menthol.  I continued to feed them until they stopped taking syrup, 
pulled the medicines and strips on June 1 and added supers.  I decided that I was
going to sacrifice the fall flows in order to ensure that the bees were kept strong
so on Aug 1, I pulled 4 medium supers of honey, inserted strips and medicines, and 
started watching for signs of weakness.  It didn't happen.  They stayed
strong all fall.  I watched them gang up on the few YJ that explored
their entrance.  Throughout August and September they did their thing.
Strips were pulled on September 25.  The hives are now sitting with three
deeps, the top two full of honey.  I am hoping that this year will
be different than the last 4.  
My only concern is that I pulled strips on Sept 25, now it is the first
of November and I am wondering if I need to reinstall the strips for the winter.

Mark Egloff

Note:  I have been told (and I cannot vouch for the reliability of the 
information) that if the YJ can gain access to a weak hive, they pick up
the hive scent and are not challenged on subsequent visits.  I dunno, but
I had the same problem with YJ coming and going at will last year in late 
August and September.
m.

---

From: Doug Inkley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 06:43:48 -0800 (PST)

Dave,
New hive, new queen, etc.........but with the hive falling over and being moved, has the qued
has the queen perhaps been killed?  Either seeing the queen or new brood would confirm she is oka
confirm she is okay.

---

From: [email-masked] (David M. Stamper)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 02:13:33 GMT

> Doug Inkley <[email-masked]> writes:

>has the queen perhaps been killed?  Either seeing the queen or new brood would confirm she is oka

I did not find the queen, but I did find eggs three days after I put the 
hive back together.  Anyway, the point is moot, since I went today to put the 
hive into storage.  No bees, but full of yellow jackets.  I put the hive body 
into a garbage bag, yellow jackets and all, and etherized 'em.  Seldom have I 
had such satisfaction in killing something.  There must have been at least 300 
in a single hive body.

There's always next year.  Besides, I got about 50-60 lbs of honey from a 2 
pound package my first year beekeeping.  Not too shabby, by my way of thinking.

Dave out.