Subject: I have a Bee problem

From: [email-masked] (Ken & Lia Brown)
Date: 9 Aug 95 13:56:53 GMT

I have never logged into this newsgroup before so excuse me if I am 
raising an issue that has been discussed recently.

Bees have recently started a colony near my back door and have become a 
hazard.  Last night I sprayed a foam insulation aroung the entrance and I 
thought that I had likely entoumbed the colony.  This morning there are 
bees flying around the area, trying to get in.

Do all bees in the colony spend the night in the hive?  If so then they 
must have found another exit.  Alternatively, if some bees spend the 
night elsewhere then they returned in the morning and will hopefully go 
away when they discover that the hive is no longer accessable.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I am opposed to using insecticides 
unless I have absolutely no alternative.

Ken
-- 
*************************************************************************
     Kenneth R. Brown                                 Lia M. Brown       
          
    the mad Pretender                              the Mad Praetor       
            
                                          Toronto, Canada 
e-mail:  [email-masked]       or        [email-masked]
*************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Aug 1995 01:09:12 GMT

please call a beekeeper in your local area and get him to come & take 
them away. they don't deserve to die & he will be able to give them a 
good home.
alternatively, here in nz, the ministry of agriculture will even come & 
take them away for u. see if u have a similar public service in your 
area.

---

From: [email-masked] (bill fernihough)
Date: 11 Aug 1995 04:30:51 GMT

First of all, do you know honey bees, and are you sure these are bees and
not yellow jackets or wasps of some type.  Wasps and yellow jackets will
destroy your gyproc walls, so suggest you get rid of them pronto.  
Short of tearing off the house siding and getting the nest out that way,
which is a sure way to get stung too, there is no real solution other than
insecticide or some thing else that will kill them.

You might try standing at the door with your vacuum hose held up to the
spot where they are going in, and just suck them up.  It might take a
couple of hours, and cost a bit of electricty.  Trouble is you won't
likely get the queen, or the workers which will just keep right on
producing.

Queen honey bees can lay up to 2000 eggs per day, so you know what your
fighting.  Wasps aren't so productive, but they can have quite large
populations by this time of year.

So, if you want to keep it short, no insecticides means a vacuum cleaner,
then a disposal problem.  Most of the insects will die on the way to the
bag, but be careful how you approach it.
Raid, or a wasp bomb is the next best, maybe the best anyway.

So, since you live in Toronto, hello, Hamilton is my home town, but I am
now in Vancouver area.  I have a sister in the newmarket area, and they
are on the net but haven'g figured out how to connect to me.  Wondered if
you could look up their name for me and see if you can find their
address.  Brother in law's name is Rick Strongitharm.

-- 
honey is sweeter than wine