Subject: Book - Saving Butterflies

From: Gregory <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 11:57:43 -0500

I just received a wonderful small book titled, "Saving Butterflies," edited
by David Dunbar (published by Butterfly Conservation, ISBN 0 9512452 9 5
hardback). Although written for a British audience, many of the concepts,
ideas, etc., discussed in this publication hold great importance for
butterfly conservation efforts in North America. The discussions of habitat
are particularly interesting - and noteworthy. The section, "Why Butterflies
are under threat," for example, is broken down into these subheadings,
Intensive Farming, Land Development, the dominance of Coniferous
Plantations (a problem evidently in Great Britain), Natural Disasters,
Habitat Isolation, Air Pollution, Climatic Changes and Global Warming, and
The Future.

"The desire to get of out town and live in rural bliss fuels the problem of
habitat loss due to new housing developments." - page 15.

I think it would be great to have a similar publication aimed at the North
American butterflying community. This book is very easily read and
understood by laypeople. A similar publication for N.America could help in
the ongoing (and largely losing - here in Pa.) battle to preserve wild
habitat for native creatures.

Alan C. Gregory
Conyngham,PA
*************************                 ****************************
* Monica E. Gregory, PH.D.
* Asst. Prof, Psychology                           ??
* Penn State Hazleton
* Hazleton PA 18201
* Internet: [email-masked]
* Tel:(717)450-3188